[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 46 KB, 480x360, IMG_5611.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3880738 No.3880738 [Reply] [Original]

I've been playing the SNES FFs these weeks and I've come to the conclusion that this game is massively overrated. Funnily enough it's somewhat of a "cred pick" but it may be the most casual of FFs until FFX arrived. The World of Balance is a damned rollercoaster, setpiece after setpiece where you have little control. If you like handholding you'll like WoB, I didn't find any positives about it. This gives the impression of tight pacing but it got to my nerves really, and the story wasn't as good as people said. I only started to enjoy the game from the World of Ruin onwards, which may be the only save grace but really, the whole game is hampered by incredibly low difficulty. It was also a step down in mechanics, you start with a class system but pretty soon all that lose significance thanks to the esper system, making all characters the same, just like the 2 games that followed it, but with less flexibility. Way too many characters as well (who the fuck picks mog or umaro?)

I've been reading opinions and it seems like most people dislike the WoR, while being fanatics of the WoB. I may be just weird, but it was the total opposite for me, and by the time WoR came I was very detached already, so I can't say I enjoyed that much. People complain about FF7 being the ruin of the series but FF6 somehow feels more "modern" (in a negative way) to me.

Curious enough, I've enjoyed a lot more the odd ones (FF1, 3, 5, 7, 9) than the even ones. Agree with me, call me a faggot and discuss the series, final fantasy thread I guess

>> No.3880747

To me it's like one of those games you had to play sometime in the 90s to truly appreciate what it was doing. Nowadays though, yeah, it's the "poseur" pick.

>> No.3880750

Cool blog. Where can I like & subscribe it?

>> No.3880759

>>3880750
Oh sorry, I forgot I can only talk about console wars and greedy resellers

>> No.3880768

>>3880738
Meh i enjoyed it a lot and apreciated that the game somewhat didnt had a protag (Celes and Terra are the ones that come close)

>> No.3880790

>>3880738

> I may be just weird

There is your answer OP

>> No.3880823

>>3880738

I didn't get to play the game in its heyday, but after scoring a copy of Final Fantasy Anthology, I finally got to experience this so-called masterpiece. I agree that it's massively overrated.

I think the rest of your post is a little curious though. You go on to state that you liked FF9. That game shares a lot of the same issues you've raised with FF6, such as linearity and setpieces. Maybe it was just the story and characters that you liked?

I'm also curious about your thoughts on FF2 Japan, assuming you've played it.

>> No.3880835

>>3880823
Dunno about FF9, haven't played it for a long time so maybe my memories are betraying me, but I remember enjoying it back then. I think it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing games of all time so maybe I remember it better than it actually is.

FF2 I didn't like its proto-TES system. I know a lot of people enjoyed it and it spawned the SaGa series but it wasn't meant for me. It wasn't as terrible as a lot of people says though but bear in mind I've only played the PSX version

>> No.3880863

>>3880738
I agree with you pretty much completely including about the odd numbered games at least /vr/ ones. I liked 2 better than 3 though.

>> No.3880864

>>3880835
The biggest difference between FFII NES and PS1 is the inventory space. You essentially got the original experience.

>> No.3880870

>>3880738
>Final fantasy VI

But that clearly says Final Fantasy III, Anon.

>> No.3880878

Eh, VI is a great game, but it's mainly a contrarian-cred game pick now.

>> No.3880892

>>3880738
FF6 is only overrated by westerners. In Japan is considered one of the weakest FF and given that FF1 was a huge success, they don't have to pretend to be contrarians. Idiots here think they're being prestigious by shilling FF6 as the best game ever.

>> No.3880898

>>3880864
>You essentially got the original experience.

That version also made weapon and spell leveling a little easier. When you first start a game, it's set to "easy" mode. Upon completing that, you have the option of starting a "normal" mode game that tries to mirror the Famicom's mechanics as closely as possible, which means spells and weapons take literally a hundred uses to level up.

>> No.3881121

Only people who had it as it's first final fantasy and contrarians who hate on VII like VI

>> No.3881141

>>3880738
I'll call you a faggot as you wish, but you're correct.

>> No.3881181

>>3881121
I like VI and it was good despite like being the fifth-sixth FF i played, not my favorite SNES game though (That goes to V).

It is overrated but so are most FFs.

>> No.3881210
File: 19 KB, 350x466, Ff6mogart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3880738
I understand your complaints, but disagree with them personally. I love both the WoB and WoR, and stuff like the low difficulty never bothered me much. I'm also a big fan of RPGs with large casts, so that's a plus for me. Mog is usually on my final team actually. He's pretty cool if you give him the Snow Muffler and Dragoon setup, and his dances are good early on.

It's definitely my favorite Final Fantasy, though 4, 5, and 7 are all close behind.

>> No.3881272

>>3880892
FF1 sold like a fraction of FF6 in Japan, IIRC 600K copies VS 2,55 mln. FF1 wasn't that big of success, every FF sold progressively more in Japan until IX.

>> No.3881532

Personally it's still my favourite FF, mainly for the vibe and sense of adventure.

I prefer The Chrono and Mana series to FF however

>> No.3883153

>>3880738
Nah, I think you're right. The story isn't really all that engaging and its a quite easy game; its really only the Opera in the WoB that I find enjoyable, and the rest of the character moments I like came in the WoR.

I still wouldn't say its bad though.

>> No.3883196

>>3880738
I always liked FF IV more than FF VI. The story in FF VI fell flat in the WoR and you didn't really have to do any of it to beat the game. Yes, it was piss easy too.

>> No.3883257

>>3880747
This right here.

I'm able to acknowledge that my love of MGS1 & FF7 in particular have a lot to do with playing them in my youth at release.

What shits me is FFVI fanatics who claim people only enjoy FF7 at all because it was their first jrpg while at the same time completely denying the possibility that is why they themselves like VI so much.

>> No.3883267

>>3880892
Which game do the Japanese consider to be the best?

>> No.3883268

>>3883257
it's a shit argument really. FFVII is the most beloved FF in japan and I think they've played a couple of JRPGs before it

>> No.3883289
File: 132 KB, 1000x776, Mombomb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3883267
>>3883268
FF4 is largely considered to be the best within Japan, thats why it's had a dozen remakes. Coincidentally FF4: The After Years is also hugely popular in Japan while I've never seen it been discussed in the west.

>> No.3883301

My first final fantasy was Final Fantasy, and I like 6 just fine.

Bad stuff out of the way: it is far too easy and feels under-designed. The monsters are usually just bags of arbitrary stats with too few hit points and the esper system is kind of bleh. Character balance is nonexistent.

In exchange, you get:
- beautiful character sprites, maps, and backgrounds
- leitmotifs coming out of every orifice, and great music in general
- ensemble cast (that's probably bad for some but when most of the others have a small core cast it's a refreshing change)
- a really nice act 3 full of juicy sidequests and character moments
- a talking octopus who ruins the opera

haters gonna hate i guess

>> No.3883372

>>3883289
>thats why it's had a dozen remakes

Makes sense now I think about it.

>> No.3883723

>>3880747
BS, I played it last year for the first time. It's my favorite vr rpg now.

>> No.3883772

>>3880747
I played it in 1994 and don't really care for it at all anymore so I really don't see where you're coming from.

>> No.3883775

>>3881272
>every FF sold progressively more in Japan until IX.
No, actually that stopped at VI and started again after it.

>> No.3883801

>>3880738
Yeah, the nebulous open ended part of the game should have been WoB while WoR should have been more on rails as it built up to the final while raising the challenge along the way. Espers should have been ditched altogether. The story was awkward and clumsy and not having a single main protagonist to follow and relate too works to it's own detriment.

As far as fanbases go, it really boils down the prioritization of story over gameplay or vice versa. That's why FFV is applauded as the best by some for its gameplay while dismissed be others for its whimsical simple story while FFIV is adulated by others for being a grand epic despite having the least customization and player choice

>> No.3883806
File: 2.79 MB, 1680x1050, Final Fantasy Heroes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3880738
VI was my first FF game, and actually my first JRPG in general even before Pokemon.

I'd only have played platformers at the time or Zelda

Once I played the others, I thoroughly enjoy the others more mechanics wise.

IV had a better story imo, and V had an insanely better class system where everyone can be everything sure in both games, but V did it way better.

VI still has one of the better stories as the character development in the sidequests were really amazing, versus the minuscule char development in V where you learn Bartz was afraid of heights from a kid or the one Dimensional Cecil, "i'm evil but wanna be good. oh I'm good now and wanna do good"
plus the villain was done well, instead of some random super boss you've never heard of until 9/10ths of the game in

as far as the odd vs even games?
I liked I-VII
I and II being my least liked ones, anything after VII is pretty meh to me

>> No.3883813

>>3880738
Considering how on rails World of Balance was, they could have at least made it shorter as to maintain the impact of "the end of the world" while opening up the game sooner and having it follow a more post apocalyptic plotline with a bulk of the content being provided to the player at a more laid back pace.

>> No.3884052

>>3883801

This is a good point.

From a gameplay perspective, there's a noticable drop in challenge and quality when going from 5 and 6. The Magicite system, despite being more flexible than the job system on paper, is actually less in practice and requiring them to get stat upgrades besides more HP and MP is stupid.

The game is noticably easier than FF5. Most of the dungeons are quick little jaunts that seem to end a little bit after they start and have little challenge unless you're very, very unprepared. The only dungeon that's comparable to tough FF5 dungeons like Exdeath's Castle or Pyramid of Moore is the Floating Continent, and the challenge goes back to being easy after beating the FC.

The lack of difficulty is most noticable in the bosses. The only actual challenges throughout the entire game are Air Force, Atma Weapon, and Magicmaster, and the latter is only because of his final Ultima. There's nothing like Liquid Flame, ArcheoAvis, Atomos, Melusine, TwinTania, or World 2 Exdeath, which can smack you silly if you're not on top of your game.That's not to mention that there are far fewer strategies to deal with bosses than in FFV; you're not going to be doing something like the Dark Spark + Level 5 Death trick against Atomos on FFVI's bosses.

That's not to say that FFVI is a piece of shit; it's still a great game and people should be willing to try it. It just lacks the gameplay substance and difficulty of V, so if you're more of a gameplay kinda guy, it's not going to hook you as much as FFV did or will.

>> No.3884068

>>3884052
the falling house in the WoR with only Celes is quite difficult,
usually get rekt inside

>> No.3884292

>>3884052
I've been saying this for years but every time I do I just get mindless shitpost responses like
>lolololol Final Fantasy >difficult
as if there weren't more stages of difficulty than binary braindead easy/ballcrushing hard.