[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 21 KB, 270x355, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3879978 No.3879978 [Reply] [Original]

So, just for the sake of this discussion, assume that by some miracle Capcom decide to pull Megaman X back from the grave. What would you like to see then?

Me personally would like to see the developers putting some real efforts into lever designing. Since X5 most of their designs bored me to death,

>> No.3880319

I want levers to be huge, gold, have skulls on them, and have a huge Pull Me sign above them.

>> No.3880356

i would have been fine with everything maverick hunter was trying to do.
but it died, so bleh

>> No.3880392
File: 21 KB, 640x479, Radiant Freeze.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just wait on X Corrupted my dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0hiwopf8Ls

>> No.3880441

>>3880392

I have nothing against fangames but when it comes to Mega Man in particular their level designs seemingly always have the most drawn out, uninspired snorefests. Unlimited and Minus Infinity being the worst offenders.

>> No.3880462

>>3880392
it looks like derivative garbage with stilted animations and AI patterns

>> No.3880593

You asked the right guy! I loved these games growing up, but you realize they're thin. I'll tell you how you make them more fun. As in, keeps you interested, makes you feel accomplished. It IS an action game, after all.

Sure, you can update the music and put it in 3D or put a filter on, but you quickly get over that. So let's not bother.

Next. Once you've beaten all the stages and picked up all the upgrades, there's no more puzzle. Thus, the first order of business: randomize the upgrades's locations. This has one potential drawback, which I'll address later.

Moving on, I imagine they removed score from Mega Man 1 because they wanted to differentiate console games from arcade games. When they told me Mega Man 1 had a scoring system, it somehow made the game seem older. Just me?

Point is: add a scoring system. If the player doesn't see it, fine. At the end of the stage, you get a report that grades

- Speed
- Damage done (including overkills)
- Damage taken

If you do well, at least give the player a cosmetic reward. It should acknowledge when you beat your record.

I hate X6, but I like setting up a loadout. You should be able to prepare for the challenge before taking it on.

It should have multiple hard modes where you take more damage, enemies move faster, and enemies have more HP.

Do all that, which I bet is cheaper than an aesthetic overhaul, and you have a good ass game.

>> No.3880686

More then 8 boss plus a 3 level fortress.
When you beat the 8 maverick, the game is nearly over.
MM4,5 and 6 had a lot of final stage where you can use your entire arsenal. It is never the case with X.

Also, some boss are unbeatable with the buster only. Armored Armandillo is horrible with the buster, and it fix the boss order.

X2 was much better.

Everyone who want to have a better understandin of the X serie should watch the analysis of the game by Retroplis Zone.

He did a lot of explanation from X1 to X6. They are 30 minutes long video but they are clever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmZ4X0Pr8xM

>> No.3881026

>>3880441
>Unlimited and Minus Infinity being the worst offenders.
Shit taste, Minus Infinity is thousands of times better than the original Megaman 4, also, Unlimited is better than Megaman 10.

>> No.3881247

>>3881026
Playing fangames by itself is absence of taste.

>> No.3881957

>>3880686
That guy is retarded.

>> No.3882010

>>3880593
>Point is: add a scoring system
Yeah that worked wonders for Mighty No. 9.

>> No.3882034

>>3881247
>>3880441
Look at this guy, trying to persuade us that MM5 has better level design than Unlimited.

>> No.3882123

MMX core gameplay by itself is great as it is. But it has been bogged down by countless gimmicks and poor level design.

>> No.3882195

>>3882034
>Putting words into people's mouths

Are you literally an elementary school kid?

>> No.3882529

>>3882010
Am I the only one here who liked having a score system in mega man 1?

>> No.3882552
File: 39 KB, 400x400, 1468781358519.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3882010

>> No.3882568

>>3879978
I honestly don't think there's much you can do with MMX without changing it too much to the point it's a completely different game
Example: A simple idea like aiming in different directions? I'm honestly against that

I think MM Zero (not retro i know) has much more possibility for improvement, 2D Action games with swords can be so much better

>> No.3882575

>>3882568

Pretty much this

Megamam X has already undergone its logical evolution in gameplay.

Shoehorning in metroidvania style gameplay was a mistake though.

>> No.3882617

>>3882568
Whoever had the idea to make Zero a melee character in X4 was a genius. It would've been easy to make him play like X.

>> No.3882719

>>3879978
Remove zerofags.

>> No.3884539

1) Remove Axle
> Axle is sleeper agent added by Sigma. Sigma built Axle to be replacement body. What-a-twist!
2) Add co-op - obviously up difficulty for co-op mode.
3) Environmental based body upgrades - example - water stage - you need a specified helmet that lights your path when you go so deep in the water it gets dark and the body armor to keep you from being crushed from the pressure, etc.
OR! (Just though of even better idea)
3.5) Body upgrades include chip slot. Instead of beating bosses and getting Their weapon, you get a chip. Each chip has a different effect depending on where you put it. Example - defeat a fire boss, put chip in x-buster you have a flame shot. But put it in your boots and now you can walk on lava/fire and leave a damaging flame trail when you slide/dash, etc. Better customization for X!
4) Don't make it mandatory to beat all 8 bosses to beat the game. Beat 4 bosses and someway or another a path opens to final stages. You sacrifice abilities inot exchange for a quicker finish, but final stages are more difficult as a result.
5) Instead of a stage select screen make it a world map. Players travel the screen to destinations similar to either castlevania SOTN/Metroid or with stage paths like a typical Super Mario Game.
5.5) Multiple stages instead of just one per boss. Going to take on the ice boss? Well he's at the top of the mountain better get to climbing. 4 progressive stages that change environmentally(ie; more ice and snow) as you get to the top. One stage could even be a mining/driving tunnel.
6) Defeating a boss has an effect on environment in other(as in more than one) stages. Just defeated the water boss? Another bosses' stage is now flooded or drained of water. It can make one stage easier and one more difficult to complete.
7) Bring back giant robot boss stage battles. Randomly and everywhere. I always thought taking on a giant robot and having to jump on platforms and such were fun.

>> No.3884543

>>3884539
>Cont'd
8) Make bosses compatible with at least 2 other boss bots. Why? Well typically in the final stages you will have to fight the bosses again. Why not two at a time (or 3 in co-op)
9) More environmental troubles in-game - ice is slippery, wind is windy, etc. Stuff that makes stage navigation a little tricky.

Really all I can think of right now.

>> No.3884546

>>3882034
I actually liked MM5's levels but the bosses were so fucking boring.

>> No.3885218

Remove random drops
Remove secret items
Add time limits

>> No.3885378

>>3884539
Approved Ideas
>1) Remove Axle
Agree. The lore is convoluted enough.

>3) Environmental based body upgrades - example - water stage - you need a specified helmet that lights your path when you go so deep in the water it gets dark and the body armor to keep you from being crushed from the pressure, etc.
Could be interesting.

>3.5) Body upgrades include chip slot. Each chip has a different effect depending on where you put it. Example - defeat a fire boss, put chip in x-buster you have a flame shot. But put it in your boots and now you can walk on lava/fire and leave a damaging flame trail when you slide/dash, etc. Better customization for X!
The more you can add a personal touch, the better.

>> No.3885382

>>3885378
Cont

>4) Don't make it mandatory to beat all 8 bosses to beat the game. Beat 4 bosses and someway or another a path opens to final stages. You sacrifice abilities inot exchange for a quicker finish, but final stages are more difficult as a result.
Provide the player with a clear goal, and let them handle it however they please. Maybe this is what they were going for in X5.

>5.5) Multiple stages instead of just one per boss. Going to take on the ice boss? Well he's at the top of the mountain better get to climbing. 4 progressive stages that change environmentally(ie; more ice and snow) as you get to the top. One stage could even be a mining/driving tunnel.
I like the idea of waging a campaign against a boss before you get to him. Since X4, they've tried to give the mavericks a story, and this is a way of showing rather than telling. How the boss tries to block your path makes you get to know him before you kill him. Of course, in the wrong hands, every boss's personality would be the fucking same.

>6) Defeating a boss has an effect on environment in other(as in more than one) stages. Just defeated the water boss? Another bosses' stage is now flooded or drained of water. It can make one stage easier and one more difficult to complete.
I like this idea, but the challenge is giving the player a clear idea of the consequences. It might be interesting to show the player something's happened, but let them discover it on their own. Example, kill the ice boss at the top of the mountain, the ice and snow melts, flooding the underground fire level. But don't force the player to enter it.

>7) Bring back giant robot boss stage battles. Randomly and everywhere. I always thought taking on a giant robot and having to jump on platforms and such were fun.

>> No.3885384

>>3885382
Cunt

Rejected Ideas
> Axle is sleeper agent added by Sigma. Sigma built Axle to be replacement body. What-a-twist!
Doesn't get my rocks off.

>2) Add co-op - obviously up difficulty for co-op mode.
It would be chaotic. But I wouldn't mind a turn-based co-op mode. When player 1 dies or beats a stage, player 2 takes over. I hate Axle, but this would justify a new character. That way, if player 2 doesn't want to play a melee character, he doesn't have to. But I suppose there's no reason player 2 can't just control X.

>Instead of beating bosses and getting Their weapon, you get a chip.
I never play the muh traditions card, but in this case...

>5) Instead of a stage select screen make it a world map. Players travel the screen to destinations similar to either castlevania SOTN/Metroid or with stage paths like a typical Super Mario Game.
I like my Megamans to have distinct stages with clear, definitive beginnings and endings. You could have a SMW/SMB3 map, but don't go Metroidvania.

>> No.3885432
File: 45 KB, 564x694, susumu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>play megaman X
>come to the PC
>everytime I press the mouse button I keep pressing it unconsciously
>release the button and hear the blaster sound in my head