[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 115 KB, 1280x720, chimp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3873842 No.3873842 [Reply] [Original]

it may be dumb and antiquated to some but having to leave the console on cause you had to go to school or some shit but weren't about to lose your progress was the mark of a great game and a fond memory of mine.
Ones that stick out to me:

megaman 2, I was at wily's castle and had to go to church on christmas eve so I left that shit on til I got back

metroid prime 2, was mid chykka boss fight before school and that shit was hard so there was no way I was about to lose my progress. Left that shit on

>> No.3873876

>>3873842
>had to go to church on christmas eve
>had to

Your parents were christcucks too, huh?

>tfw leaving my parents' house and deviously spending my Sundays marathoning video games

>> No.3873890

>>3873876
I was too young man, I wasn't strong enough

>> No.3873893 [DELETED] 

Mom rented Double Dragon 2 for me. Couldn't get passed the first room.

>Come on, Anon, we really have to go to the wherever to do the thing.

I

>> No.3873907
File: 108 KB, 256x351, Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Miyamoto: Back when Super Mario Bros. 3 came out, everyone was stressed because they couldn't save, with some even saying they played it through without ever turning off the power! (laughs)

>> No.3873913

Goddamn super ghouls n' ghosts

>> No.3873914
File: 91 KB, 312x212, ss+(2016-09-27+at+04.36.58)_waifu2x_art_noise3_scale_tta_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mom rented Double Dragon 2 for me. Couldn't pass the first room.

>Come on, Anon, we really have to go to the wherever to do the thing.

I didn't understand why the NES got hot. But I figured it must be bad. I knew if I left it on, it would get hot. But I was almost out of that room. We were gone 2-3 hours. I realized I'd made a mistake, and I didn't think my parents would buy a new one.

The NES got hot all right. But it was fine. It worked for a long time. Perhaps that's part of why I'm OCD about saving.

>> No.3873921

>>3873914
sure they got hot, but no one thought of intentionally building with cheap parts so it'll fail yet. my almost 30 year old Nes is still kickin, the beautiful bastard

>> No.3873950

>be poorfag with no memory card
>console is plugged into an outlet
>outlet is connected to one of the switches by the front door
>it's like a three switch panel, for the hall light, living room light, and the middle switch for the outlet
>when I go to hell, it's going to be a recreation of that set up, and as I achieve great feats like I had in my childhood, it will only be met with an accidently flip of the wrong switch from my drunk dad stumbling home.

>> No.3873952

>Megaman 3
>Fighting Gamma
>Suddenly felt the need to pee like never before
>Pause that and go pee like an industrial hose
>Come back, my grandma turned off the game because she didn't see anyone playing it
>Platinum mad, didn't talk to her for like 3 days afterwards

I still haven't finished Megaman 3.

>> No.3873998
File: 199 KB, 512x512, why.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i remember leaving my game gear on pause while playing Revenge of Drancon (Wonder Boy I)

it reset automatically and went back to the main screen

i was so angry when i came back to continue playing i cried

>> No.3874004
File: 7 KB, 320x224, Image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>going through Launch Base Zone, and parents shout that we're going to McDonalds
>manage to push their patience enough to beat the first two bosses, but then have to pause, turn off the telly, and head out
>get back later and I'm relieved I haven't burnt the house down, like my Dad warned me would happen if I ever left electronics on
>shit pants when the screen darkens, the ominous theme pipes up, and Robotnik flashes by, before shoving my shit back in
At least I got a neat Knuckles Happy Meal toy.

>> No.3874013

One of the only times I saw a Super NES game freeze was Super Metroid. I left it on forever one time as a kid (more than a day), when I came back to it the game had frozen and the screen had glitched. Really tripped me out at the time.

>> No.3874019

>>3873907
>played it through without ever turning off the power!
Is there any other way to play through it?

>> No.3874046
File: 4 KB, 256x224, Rampage_-_NES_-_2_Players.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>get really far on Rampage 2 player
>going to church
>left it on pause all morning
also did it with Jackal

>> No.3874070

>>3874019
The flutes.

>> No.3874731

I wonder how many burned-down houses these awful, game-delaying churches have left in their wake.

>> No.3874745
File: 126 KB, 749x929, 1486285411232.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mother was being murdered in the room next to me
>continued to play Mega Man 3 because I was in an intense battle with Wily

Shit was so cash.

>> No.3874751

>>3873842
Zillion on sms. Left it on all weekend and played during the day whenever I could....

Cooked my sms. Had to send it in for warranty repair.

>> No.3876762

>>3873842
I wanted to do this with the Beetle Blaster mini game in Mario RPG.
Had a 6 billion point score after playing for many hours. (Seriously, I was good at that shit. Merrymore's theme is still stuck in my head because of it. Won't play Beetle Blaster in any other town either, because it just seems wrong to me.)

Mother wouldn't let me keep it on though.... Shit sucks. Because I'd have never lost. Every shot was such a retarded chain reaction that three or four hearts would drop making it so when I finally do get hit, I don't just die. That and I figured out that if you mash literally all the buttons, you get up faster.

>> No.3876776

I got a gamecube for christmas and pokemon colloseum and played for 6 hours that day. Then i finally tried to save but realized i needed a memory card so i had to leave the system on until the next day.