[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 405 KB, 1280x931, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3851920 No.3851920 [Reply] [Original]

> buying cartloads of poor quality games you will never play just to beef up the size of your collection

Please tell me you guys don't do this

>> No.3851931

Most people here only buy games they want to play.

>> No.3851938

>>3851920
Eh, if I'd have had the foresight to not sell all my good shit to a second hand game store back in the late 90s to buy a couple of ps1 games I might've turned into a collectorfag. As is, I'm not interested in dropping $5000 rebuying all my favorite games I practically gave away for like $50 back then, let alone mountains of shitty sports games and other assorted bullshit just to make my collection bigger. Emulators, burned discs, and flashcarts only for me now.

>> No.3851945

I don't do this.

>> No.3851963

Us guys don't do this.

>> No.3851983

>>3851920

I used to be somewhat guilty of this with both retail carts and arcade PCBs, though not much any more.

This is the exact mentality that has made Stadium Events reach lolwut levels of pricing. The only reason people care about it is because it has been memed into a status symbol grail item, in part due to the "history" of the item and because some consider it essential to having a truly complete NES set. People don't give a shit about the actual game itself, making it purely emblematic of the gotta catch'em all status-minded collector mentality.

>> No.3852031

>>3851920
I buy "as is" lots on ebay and just use donor carts or mash two copies together. I don't pad my collection because I don't really collect but I like buying groups of games because I end up owning and therefore playing games I wouldn't buy on their own.

>> No.3852038

I only buy games I think are good that I want to play.

>> No.3852134

You could make a fortune selling plastic facades that look like game cartridges when put on a shelf.

>> No.3852184 [SPOILER] 
File: 11 KB, 368x250, 1489214901696.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3851920
>Hey bbygurl, take a look at my rad collection of retro videogames.

>> No.3852208

Eh. I have the money and I enjoy the aesthetic. It's no different than collecting comic books, movies, Warhammer figurines, books or any other popular medium.

I have to tell you, sure you could put every game you've ever played on a little flash drive and save yourself the space. But you're missing out on the raw comfiness of having a big collection to ensconce yourself in while you play. Sometimes it's just pleasant to stand in the gaming room and be surrounded by all the titles you grew up with.

I love my collection. I love playing them, I love being around them, I love the immaculate care and long hours spent keeping them all clean and in good working condition. I love spending hours autistically arranging and rearranging them. I love the feel of adding another game or two every paycheck and that raw thrill of being a kid and playing something new, even if the game is 30 years old. I love watching my collection expand.

If you have the money, space and love for it... I really recommend trying to go for a collection. There's no greater feeling for a retro gamer than to be comfortably seated with a controller in hand and be visually surrounded by all the discs and cartridges you love so much.

>> No.3852209

>"Reeeeee! Everyone here is a normies hipster wannabe with an illegitimate interest in retro gaming except for me! Reeee!"

Why is everyone so obsessed with what everyone else does? Like, who gives a fuck? This isn't highschool. You'd think this particular board would be a little more mature than the rest.

>> No.3852283

>>3851931

lmao no. I like collecting/buying more than playing.

>> No.3852340

>>3852209
there is a perception that the reason old game prices are so high now is because reddit tier normies are driving up the prices by overspending for shelf decorations, and spergs who can't afford to keep up flock to /vr/ to unleash their cuck rage on the board

>> No.3852418

Trying to get most systems' entire libraries is way more of a pain than it's worth, so why even bother gathering a large chunk of it? Just get games you actually want.

>> No.3852429

>>3851920
>buying games

>> No.3852430

>>3852208
lol i dunno man, sex is pretty good.

>> No.3852435

>>3852429
>playing games

>> No.3852448

>>3852430
i mean it's ok, but what am i supposed to do for the other 23 hours and 58 minutes and 55 seconds in the day?

>> No.3852457

>>3852208
>But you're missing out on the raw comfiness of having a big collection to ensconce yourself in while you play.

Most people dont have autism so this isn't a thing for them.

>> No.3852482

>>3851931
Most people here don't buy games.

>> No.3852504

The only thing I can really understand collection wise is arcade shit, and that takes up so much fucking room that you need a warehouse. Honestly, a mame cab can replace 90% of what people actually want to play and do so much more for the price of a single uncommon cab.

I've never understood the efforts people go to to own a bunch of worthless discs or carts.

>> No.3852508

>get decent pc
>old tv with converter
>hook it all up with retroarch
>put some old consoles under for the aeshetic
>connect some usb controllers

no need for thousands of dollars of shitty carts when you have roms, it doesn't even effect the devs anymore since they aren't seeing any of the cash

>> No.3852529

>>3852209
>bunch of neckbeards stuck in the past and unable to accept anything that happened after they turned 15
>mature

>> No.3852534

I'll buy mixed lots of games if it means I can get those I want for cheaper.
I'll usually give all of the games I get in that way a go aside from sports games, and the ones I don't like I'll part back out for cheap. With cartridges or jewel cases I'll take any pieces I may need to spruce up an existing game I have, but I'm not gonna be sitting on a complete Madden collection or something.

>> No.3852616

>>3852134
This... is actually an idea that could make some money.

>> No.3853128

>>3852457
Autism is sitting in an empty room with blank walls. Normal people surround themselves with things that they enjoy. Posters on the walls, figurines and knickknacks on shelves, pictures or books shelves, et cetera.

I think what you meant to say was that most poorfags only have things that they can digitally pirate so possessions aren't a problem for them.

>> No.3853174

>>3852504
it's honestly not that bad, and it's getting even better now that stuff like darksoft boards exist. mame isn't perfect and as long as original hardware exists, people should be playing on it.

>> No.3853180 [DELETED] 

>>3852283
faggot

>> No.3853215

>>3853128

> Posters on the walls, figurines and knickknacks on shelves

don't forget to take your meds, autismo

>> No.3853223

>>3853128
>Normal people surround themselves with things that they enjoy.
This.

Unless you've caught the more recent "minimalism/college kid with LEDs" meme.

>> No.3853383

>>3851920
How new are you? Every rate my dick collection thread here is full of dingi showing off their dozen thrift store sports finds.

>> No.3853408

I used to go to a resale shop in the late 90's that would take in NES games for like .50-$1. They would be sitting in stacks behind the counter waiting to be valued and labeled. I was a frequent customer and the owner would let me buy them for $1 so he didn't have to label them. As a result I am about 30 games or so shirt of a complete collection of US games. I've never took a nerd boner pic of them and put it online though.

>> No.3853627

>>3853128
>Adultism is sitting in a room without posters on the wall and anime figurines on shelves
FTFYK

>> No.3853649

>>3851920
>Please tell me you guys don't do this

I do not. My "collection" consists only of games I play. I even make it a point not to go investing in something if I have an active backlog that I need to complete first. (Although at this point, I've pretty much finished everything, and only go back for casual fun or self-imposed challenges)

>> No.3853656 [DELETED] 

Story time: I used to do this exact thing, in the mid 2000's i had about 150 or so nes games and about 75 snes games from my childhood and that i had picked up for cheap in the early 2000's and late 90's, but when i started watching avgn i saw his rows and rows of shitty games and i suddenly went out and bought every peice of shit that was cheap just to stick it on the wall, and that was slightly before when the prices went up so i got a decent amount for relatively cheap, although the prices were higher than they were in the early 2000's, so anyway i would sit around surrounded by with my 25 copies of smb\duck hunt and heaps of other old dusty shit and watch avgn and drink a beer and say SHITLOAD OF FUCK! and giggle like a retard lol. But anyway I don't regret it in retrospect b/c of how much the value of this shit has gone up, but i definitely don't buy retro games nowadays, and i have all the games in boxes in the closet and the NES is the only retro console i keep out now, and it's mostly for show cause i got the nes classic edition now and that's abot all i play pretty cool huh.

>> No.3853670

>>3853627

Have you ever been in an "adult" home? Even normies have paintings/painting reproductions, sculptures, plates, figurines, books, shelves, curios, etc set up in their home. As times change, so will what average people put out for display. In 50 years, people will no longer be embarrassed by grandpa's blackface figurines from the 50s, but rather by grandpa's anime titty sculptures from the 2000s.

>> No.3853772

>>3852208
That really sounds like a mental disorder. Why not just accept it? I realized my collecting tendencies were too tied to my obsessive cleanliness and anxiety so I sold what I didn't need and started working on my mental problems. I'm not saying it's a problem for you and that you have to sell your stuff but at least admit you're a complete psycho for collecting hundreds of meaningless outdated pieces of technology. I understand surrounding yourself with what you love but I feel like collecting carts is more like burying yourself with what you love. I have a couple shelves of toys/ models and a nice set of posters and I feel like thats all I need to remind myself whats best in life.

>> No.3853780

>>3853772
I need to add that I also realized that I was trying to fill a hole in my life with collecting stuff. It was working too unfortunately. But, I have a lot of stuff I want to accomplish in my life and if the only thing I end up accomplishing is having a fat collection then looking back once I'm old is gonna be pretty fucking sad.

>> No.3853797

I just started collecting video games seriously recently. I have always collected something, and now I'm in the process of selling my rare vintage clothing to buy rare video games.
I'm only actively buying games I like but I will pick up any shitty nes or snes cartridge if I see it cheap enough at a garage sale or thrift store.

>> No.3853798

>>3853772
Sounds like you never loved your games as much as that dude loves his. Collect what you love and you obviously don't love games. Maybe you can get buried with your fishing tackle/stamp collection/whatever the hell you love these days.

>> No.3853819

>>3851920
Even though I was born in 1996, there was a 13 year age span between siblings in my family, and as a result, I played a lot of sega genesis games.
I remember when I was 7 me and a couple of my older brothers went to some gaming store to sell all our cartridges and controllers for credit to buy xbox games. then in 2006, as a 10 year old, I got really nostalgic for "muh childhood" and started saving all my pennies to buy used sega games. Once I bought a lot of the ones I could remember (and I think I rebought our cartridge of NBA Jam), I started buying ones I had never heard of, just to expand my collection. Horrible sports games and games like Tailspin, Jungle Strike and Desert Strike, that I was so bored by. But then I would go back to the store and buy more cartridges just for the sake of it, that I would play once and then just put in my box, never to be played again.
But I was 10, so I had an excuse. The fact that there are self respecting adults who indulge in this kind of behavior is appalling to me.

>> No.3853838

>>3853772
>collecting is a mental disorder

I would say that having such a weird and deep bias is probably more indicative of a mental disorder.

In my living room, my wife has six floor-to-ceiling book shelves filled with hundreds of novels. She has the full catalog of several of her favorite authors and a healthy smattering of other favorites (hers and mine) besides. It's a modest collection, but one she enjoys maintaining and adding to. Most of our friends don't bat an eye at the collection but are shocked to see our gaming room.

The issue, I think, is less with the notion of collecting something and more with -what- is collected. I'm sure half the people here denouncing collecting video games have huge card collections (Magic, YuGiOh!, whatever), maybe comic book collections, novel collections, movie collections, or the like. Those are very common things for people to collect (which, by your assertion makes anyone with them mentally ill) but there's not really a big difference. It's about collecting things you love.

That said, virtual CCGs have been strangling collectibles, and movies and books exist as apps. Everyone could replace every collection with a single flash drive, just like a video game collection.

They don't because they love their collections. The pieces have some meaning to them and there's an emotional attachment. The fact that you had a mental disorder and it turned out that you had no real investment in your collection beyond it being a crutch for your mental illness doesn't mean that the millions of other people with collections are the same. It's so wildly audacious and presumptuous that you would even think so. Right up there with "I don't like chocolate, so NO ONE must like chocolate!"

>> No.3853848

>>3853819
>when i was a kid i knew the value of possessions
>since becoming an adult i've become a hippy minimalist and "owning things" sickens me

1996 makes you what? 21? Tell your commie professor to stop filling your retarded head with stupid shit.

>> No.3853883

>>3853128
>Autism is sitting in an empty room with blank walls
either or fallacy

>Normal people surround themselves with things that they enjoy.
The point is that you don't enjoy them. They're just satisfying autsim padding. They have no aesthetic merit by themselves like a figurine or poster or painting would.

>books
>having books on your shelf that you have not read and don't ever plan to read
You might as well just pay someone to fill your walls with pulp shit. If you play them or enjoyed playing them good for you. But that's not what this thread is about.

>> No.3853890

>>3853848
I'm not against owning things but it's just stupid to buy a bunch of games that you're never gonna play. And yes, I would say the same thing about comic book or toy collectors who don't actually use what they buy.

>> No.3853895

>>3853848
>constantly buying useless and joyless pieces of plastic just to feel a tiny rush of happiness is good and should be encouraged
>otherwise you're a no good commie
good goy

>> No.3853921

>>3853883
>that's not what this thread is about.
The thread never said anything about collecting and not playing. That's just your personal bias shining through. Deep down you know if you had the money, you'd collect and not play. But every single collector here has detailed how much they like playing their collection.

There really is no need to project your autism on everyone else.

>> No.3853926

>>3851920
I don't have money to piss away on such things. If I'm gonna spend my money on vidya I would spend it on games that I want to play.

>> No.3853934

>>3853838
Thats bullshit cause you're assuming a fucking lot. I love carts as much as any other old dude. Every time I pick one up I'm filled with nostalgia, especially when I picked them up to sell them. But what good does that nostalgia do me? Its a bullshit feeling of pleasure that I can receive for doing absolutely nothing productive. Also I didn't move on to liking something else. I still love playing retro games on flashcarts and I still love having a couple shelves of toys. I just don't keep enough stuff around the house to fill the hole in my life and I certainly don't let myself get too happy about getting a new toy or anything like that.

>>3853798

this is retarded my dude. Your wife keeps books cause reading on tablets sucks. I wouldn't hesitate to have a fat book collection of books I would read multiple times. They have a purpose. Game carts don't do anything a flash cart couldn't do unless you're talking about the small percent that don't work on flash carts. Basically what I'm saying is you're a psycho and your wife is normal as fuck. If you have an emotional attachment to an inanimate object you have problems. If these mental problems are not causing life problems then like I said, knock yourself out. Just don't sit here and try to justify having a masturbatory hobby like collecting useless junk cause "you really LOVE it". There are way too many guys our age that live off of the pleasure nostalgia gives us. I fell for it too and looking back its fucking disgusting how much pleasure I got for doing nothing.

tldr collecting is indeed a mental disorder.

>> No.3853938

>>3853921
>The thread never said anything about collecting and not playing.

>Anonymous 03/10/17(Fri)19:45:54 No.3851920▶>>3851938 >>3851983 >>3852031 >>3852184 >>3852429 >>3853383 >>3853649 >>3853819 >>3853926
> > buying cartloads of poor quality games you will never play just to beef up the size of your collection
> Please tell me you guys don't do this

>> No.3853939

>>3853934
You sure are one lost angry mentally ill soul. I hope for society's sake you find what you're looking for. Maybe go visit a beautiful country, buy a bike and go on a tour, start something that will make you happy. God damn dude, sort your life out.

>> No.3853941

>>3853848
>value of possesions

Unless you're talking about monetary value, what the fuck do you mean by this? Game carts have no use since flashcarts came to be. Maybe he learned not to tie his happiness to inanimate objects you fucking retard. And if you are talking about monetary value then fuck off there are way better ways to make money and invest.

>> No.3853956

>>3853939
why because I said I have a hole in my life? Thats the most fucking normal thing about me. Every human should have some goal hanging over their heads driving and motivating them. I'm lost? What the fuck is wrong with you autists? You guys assume waaaaay too much. I know exactly what I want to do with myself and now that I have purged all my cancerous "hobbies" I can focus on getting shit done. When I feel the reward of pleasure it fucking means something now. Enjoy your little sampson bro. And if something feels not quite right just clean it and reorganize and see how you feel.

>> No.3853969

>>3853956
What is your grand plan that you had to sell all your "cancerous" possessions to attempt at your "goal". Fucking trannies in Thailand is not a real goal btw. You might be the saddest and most pathetic individual I've encountered on here. Actually on second thought... in your case you might want to go to Thailand.

>> No.3853990

>>3853969
I need to tell you what I wanna do with my life?? as proof of what??? really confused by this one. Obviously I'm not gonna sit here and talk about my personal goals on a videogame board. If the only thing that comes to your mind when someone says life goals is trannies in thailand then who's pathetic? I mean really you don't understand the concept of having life goals other than "i'm gonna work my 9-5 and then buy useless shit"? Who's pathetic here?

>> No.3854001

>>3853934
>being this buttmad over being too fucking poor to actually afford awesome retro carts

>> No.3854010

So should I keep my mixer or refund it at a loss and get the same one with effects or maybe just a simpler mixer with effects? Because I'm pretty sure I can do what I need without it. Maybe with the exception of the drums (which would go well with the mixer had it came with effects)

>> No.3854028
File: 127 KB, 610x440, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I buy high quality expensive games then never play those. Completely different.

>>3854010
Are you in the right thread m8?

>> No.3854034

>>3854001
>being this autistic to assume things and then treat it like it's fact

>> No.3854035

>>3853990
So you can sit here and post 10,000 words but not answer a simple question? You're the one saying you have this grand plan which is why you apparently sold all your shit and shitting on anyone who has a collection. I still think you need to go to Thailand because I can't think of a better place for a freak like you to fit in. This is one of those super rare times where I feel like I'm responding to a serial killer. Seek help.

>> No.3854036

>>3854028
>Are you in the right thread m8?

Collecting things you never play. Sounds like it!

>> No.3854049

>>3851920
You're missing the point of collecting, dude. Collecting is a hobby in itself just like playing videogames is a hobby.

>> No.3854051

>>3854035
You're an anon. I'm an anon. Telling you all about my personal life makes me less of an anon. Use your imagination. Surely you can think of a reason to live besides nes carts.

>> No.3854057

>>3854049
>spend money on item and then put it on shelf

cool hobby dude

>> No.3854058

>>3851920
I have a couple of complete loose cart collections (snes,gameboy, gbc, gba) and I play what I have time to. Love collecting. Fuck CiB collectors, they are rich assholes.

>> No.3854078

>>3851920
I keep all the doo doo games I get in budget and lots separate from my collection. Never would have thought to make my collection look bigger by displaying doo doo games.

>> No.3854349

People can spend their money and time any way they choose. Being an adult male and buying Barbie games to pad your collection does make you a faggot though OP, I'll give you that.

>> No.3854396
File: 124 KB, 850x464, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3854057
This is my biggest issue with 'collectors'. If you make it a habit to leave the house and search for old games in markets and thrift stores or whatever, then it's a hobby. If you just order this stuff over eBay or repeatedly hit up the same one or two stores then it's not. You're just throwing out money and have no excuse for doing so unless you plan to actually play your games.

>> No.3854442

I ordered 100+ N64 games blind just to test them out. the ones I liked I keep in a box under my tv, the ones I don't are in the garage. If I ever get bored of the current roster I'll take those out again to try before I order new games, but yeah, I don't understand people who collect this stuff for trophies.

>> No.3854443

>>3854058
>Fuck CiB collectors, they are rich assholes.
nah i just buy jap shit. it's not that hard to learn enough runes to get through nintendo games.

>> No.3854518
File: 45 KB, 420x310, avgn-BIRD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3851920
Shut up OP, it's my money

>> No.3854594

>>3852208
>>3852208
You're right. It is no different than collecting comic books or movies. It's just as retarded.

>> No.3854613

>>3853838
Books are about the only acceptable thing there is to collect, because you can store a ton of books in a pretty small space, and they're very cheap.

6 floor-to-ceiling bookshelves is abnormal though, I'm guessing most of your friends are assuming that you're both avid readers, or that you just inherited a ton of books or something.

Collecting is a mental illness. It's the same shit as people who hoard all their trash because it might be useful someday.

I can understand a modest collection of titles you had as a kid or whatever, so 100-200 games across all systems in a single shelf would be pretty reasonable. Anything past that means you were rich as all fuck, I rented a new game practically every week in the 90s and I'd be very hard pressed to find more than 200 titles I'd be willing to own.

People collect for the sake of collecting. I picked up all my old consoles and a nice CRT, but at the end of the day, it tends to be more convenient to just emulate and they go unused. I can't imagine having hundreds of carts and discs taking up space as well.

>> No.3854616

>>3854613
Music records are acceptable to collect as well.

>> No.3854621

>>3854616
I think anything that has a unique experience in its physical form that you will use multiple times is acceptable. Game carts are pretty much the biggest waste of space and money out of any collectible.

>> No.3854625

>>3851920

I'm going for a complete Neo Geo Pocket collection, so I've bought a bunch of games I don't care about just to have them. I've also only spent maybe $150 on 20 games I'll never play.

>> No.3854764

I have a storage unit full of games and consoles I never play and no one else will either. Come at me poorfags.

>> No.3854775

>>3854621
A physical game is just as unique an experiance as a book or record, also most people play games more than once. At least most people who collect or are interested in retro games do.

>> No.3854886

I take it poor quality Chinese carts count for this thread?

Is there anywhere that sells Chinese carts that will actually fit in a Sega Genesis model 1? I found mine yesterday, hooked it up to a CRT... can't can't find any of my games. All I could find was the Fix It Felix Jr I got for Christmas, and being a cheap Chinese case, it doesn't fit unless I take the board out (game isn't bad for a fan made ROM actually). I don't want to hack up my Genesis for bootlegs and cheapies.

>> No.3854897

>>3854886
Mine is a little stiff, but that's more the board width being slightly off. I don't know why you'd bother with repros when you could just get a everdrive clone.

>> No.3854898
File: 8 KB, 173x160, freecell.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I do it specifically to signal to people I know that retro games is something I care about.

You have no idea how many friends, and friends of friends gave me their old games collection from their childhood when they see I would take good care of them and actually play them.

It's not as big as OPs though, and I only put on display the games that I play or want to play. I have a ton of shovelware hidden away.

>> No.3854905

>>3854897
>you could just get a everdrive clone
I couldn't find one on ali express. I was prorbably using the wrong keywords or something. Got a link? Or a name of one? I'd be perfectly happy with that.

>> No.3854913

>>3854886
Is it a repro of a Japanese cart? Buy repros of western carts and you should be fine

>> No.3854917

>>3854898
Also this, got a free mega cd after a friends brother came round and saw all my consoles set up.

>> No.3855485
File: 15 KB, 300x300, timothy mcveigh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3854917
noice

>> No.3855908

I just look at the picture on the cart. If it looks cool, I'll buy and hope to God it's good.

>> No.3855970

>>3853670
>Have you ever been in an "adult" home?
Top kek kid. Sure. I visit my adult kids all the time. No anime posters or figurines. No grandchild will ever be embarrassed by gramps anime shit. It's not possible to produce offspring with an anime pillow.

>> No.3855991

>>3855970

/thread

>but my nes carts are just like collecting books! I'm not a freak!

good luck explaining that to future generations.

>> No.3856321

>>3853670
>grandpa's blackface figurines
>grandpa's anime titty sculptures
... You have just made me feel so much better about my plans for the future.

>> No.3857340
File: 99 KB, 375x1002, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really wish sega was still going. I have every genesis Saturn and Dreamcast game, and now there is a void in my soul cause there's nothing new to collect. That's 2 whole generations of games and consoles that will never be.

>> No.3857376

>>3855908
I mean, that was literally me as a kid. Long before games '''''journalism''''''' was a thing.

>> No.3857658
File: 30 KB, 286x420, sengoku3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3851920
I only buy and keep games that i play over and over again. So collection is really small with 60+ games or so. If i would be rich and i could afford crap like ninja master's or sengoku 3 it would still be less than 200 games.

>> No.3857690

>>3854775
Totally. I have collections of old books, records, comics and games and consider them all as having aesthetic and emotional value beyond the music, stories or game play they contain. The visual design of old media can be beautiful/pleasing in itself, and the appreciation of it is just another thing in life to take pleasure from.

>> No.3858340

>>3857340
>>3857340
>sega
stay pleb!
seriously though, why not collect all the games sega develops for other systems? that's still a way to fill that void. there are some good ones.

>> No.3858342

>>3857376
dafuq you talkin about? games journalism has been a thing since the 80s

>> No.3858367

>>3852134

"See! It's a bona-fide piece of printed matter. It fooled me. This fella's a regular Belasco. It's a triumph. What thoroughness! What realism! Knew when to stop, too - didn't cut the pages. But what do you want? What do you expect?"

>> No.3858373

>>3854396

fair. Buying / finding games (and other things) is the part that attracts me, not the final collection. But one leads to the other.

>> No.3858402

very rarely will I buy a game that I don't want to play

then it's usually for novelty, "oh I hear this is neat," or I plan on flipping them for a slightly higher price at a flea market/yard sale

that or I REALLY like that game and it was cheap

>> No.3858575

>>3858342
Yeah but 90% of games "journalists" these days are 25 year olds with college degrees going off the mentality of "i played video games as a kid, how hard can it be?"

Try watching the sonic mania gameplay video for switch where the IGN "journalist" can't get past the loop on green hill zone and has to get help from the assistant

>> No.3858606

>>3858575

What is entertainment journalism but a tool with which the writer pushes his or her political and social ideologies.

>> No.3858618

>>3858575
>Try watching the sonic mania gameplay video for switch where the IGN "journalist" can't get past the loop on green hill zone and has to get help from the assistant
SHOCKINGLY accurate depiction of """games """""""""journalists"""""""""
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1V-8ijzZqM

>> No.3858647

>>3851931
sure they do lol.

>> No.3858650

>>3852208
i understand this with boxed games or stuff like that. but these bland cartriges as ugly as fuck and all look the same.

>> No.3858689

>>3852208
>>3858650
>im the biggestest autist
>no i am
You're both right

>> No.3859310
File: 17 KB, 320x235, 92936.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3858689
>le amused outside observer
go suck a dick

>> No.3859851

>>3851920
Amaing collection

>> No.3860052

>>3851920
You say that now but wait until those poor quality games end up skyrocketing in price due to hipsters retards.

>> No.3860071 [DELETED] 

I don't come to /rom/ and make fun of pc gamers. :(

>> No.3860192

>>3853128
Normal people don't hoard fucking 30 year old video games and treat them like they're rare books or artpieces to be displayed, lmao. OP pic is extreme overkill and is definitely the room of an autistic manbaby.

>> No.3860195

>>3860192
where do you think you are cunt? what is normal? who is the normal person? a male chinese factory slave? this is a western website for nerds, none of us here are "normal"

>> No.3860213

>>3860195
That has nothing to do with my post, that sperg thinks hoarding toys and jacking off while surrounded by game cartridges because you just can't help yourself is something normal people do

>> No.3860243

>>3860213
it does have something to do with your post because you're making the case that there is a normal type of person. in reality everyone that regularly uses 4chan and is part of the 4chan community is definitely an oddity even among internet dwellers. so again I ask what do you mean by normal? are all collecters abnormal and is that even a bad thing?
you know what seems really abnormal to me? people that bird watch, that just seems like the lamest and most boring shit hobby I can possibly think of.

>> No.3860251

>>3860243
Holy shit, you fucking moron. I never mentioned 4chan. He said, and I fucking quote, "Normal people surround themselves with things that they enjoy. Posters on the walls, figurines and knickknacks on shelves, pictures or books shelves, et cetera. " I retorted by saying no, normal people do not in fact cover every inch of their living spaces with old overpriced toys from 30 years ago as he's claiming. It has nothing to do with people who come to 4chan.

>> No.3860267

>>3860251
>Posters on the walls, figurines and knickknacks on shelves, pictures or books shelves, et cetera. "
I'd argue that the collecting posters and knick knacks thing is quite normal for our demographic, nerdy, college age, white westerners from relatively stable middle class backgrounds. maybe not having massive collections because that implies having a lot of money and being a bit older but that wasn't his total argument. I just don't see what your problem is man, maybe go to reddit or worldstar hip hop where you can be around normal people.

>> No.3860271

>>3860267
Holy FUCK man, did you hit your head this morning? I said nothing about that exact specific demographic, he claimed NORMAL PEOPLE as a whole, not a specific kind of person that checks all the arbitrary boxes. Normal people do not hoard plastic fucking trash sold 30 years ago as baby toys.

>> No.3860274

>>3860271
there is no normal is my point, it's all relative. so from a certain perspective he's correct. all you've said is "NO, HURR DAS NOT NORMAL!" my heads fine thanks.

>> No.3860279

>>3860274
>there is no normal is my point
No, there absolutely is, and you cartridge-hoarding aspies are not part of it.

>> No.3860284

>>3860279
define what it is then, like I've been asking you to do this entire conversation. quite dodging and construct an argument.

>> No.3860286

>>3860284
Nah, I think I'll go do some normal things now instead of wasting my time with you spergs.

>> No.3860289

>>3860286
normal things like arguing with people on 4chan. sounds good man.

>> No.3860386

>>3860274
>>3860195
>There is no normal!! We're ALL autistic manbabies!!!!

>> No.3860389 [DELETED] 

>>3860386
yeah, like I get the argument that people find collecting things autistic or childish, especially things like video games, I'm just looking for someone to articulate what they consider a normal person or hobby. no one seems to be able to.

>> No.3860391

>>3860386
you don't understand. I get the argument that people find collecting things autistic or childish, especially things like video games, I'm just looking for someone to articulate what they consider a normal person or hobby. no one seems to be able to. woodworking? building tables?

>> No.3860395

oh I got one, watching hbo shows like game of thrones. that's normal right? if someone was a fan of the show and bought figurines that might make them slightly abnormal I reckon. I think I get it.

>> No.3860402

Since when are people normal?

>> No.3860404
File: 264 KB, 1500x769, 91xe9ZgZenL._SL1500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pic related. the more of these you own the less normal you become. you're allowed to own one but you have to treat it like shit and leave it in the microwave from time to time/let your dog chew on it. etc. in order to keep normal status.

>> No.3860437

>>3860195
Projecting pretty hard there sport. Most of us were pretty normal, even the /v/abies. It was only when the frogfags started infesting this place that it turned into such a freakshow.

>>3860274
No. You head is most certainly not fine.

>> No.3860441

>>3860437
>still can't plainly define what he considers "normal"
keep it up lad. it's funny.

>> No.3860775

>>3860437
>frogfags turned this place into a freakshow
stay delusional.
i agree with you, though, there are objectively normal or average behaviors. video game collecting like this is not.
but so what, really?

>> No.3860783

>>3860775
I still don't get why collecting video games isn't "normal" and I'm not even a retro collector. There's a few games I could see myself picking up for nostalgia sake when I have disposable income but that's about it. This whole thread spiraled when some poster said essentially hat hanging up posters because you enjoy them is normal. So I ask again not normal in relation to what?! lol. Just spit out what you mean.

>> No.3860792

>>3860441
I'm not the guy you were crying about and you only ever asked him to define normal after you'd failed miserably. But agree you should keep it up as it is entertaining. Even as pathetic as your frogcrying has got.

>> No.3860795 [DELETED] 

>>3860792
Ok so papercraft is more normal than video games? Help

>> No.3860814

Alright guess I win the argument. Hope you feel slightly better and more normal than the people you share a board with because you don't collect the same things you are seemingly also share an interest in. Peace idiots

>> No.3860817

>>3860814
That you also seemingly share an interest in* jesus

>> No.3860867

>>3860814
not the guys you were arguing with but in general normal people don't really collect anything, and the few that do don't really do it so obsessively.

>> No.3861853

>>3860775
Well you wouldn't know how this place was before the frogfestation happened would you?
Exactly what "way" of collecting is not normal? I think you might be confusing collecting with displaying a collection. Lemme guess. Another millennial with made up definitions of works?

>> No.3862083

Guess I'm mentally ill! Thanks for another great diagnosis Dr. 4chan!

>> No.3862342
File: 7 KB, 480x360, david-mcnorris.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3862083
>deflecting this hard

>> No.3862783

>>3862083
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

>> No.3862884

>you go back in time to elementary school with a NES flash cart fully loaded with every game for the console

How do you convince your friends that you're not "that kid"?

>> No.3862942

Collecting for collecting enjoyment and collecting to play games you want to play are two separate things. It's totally fine to spend your money on things that don't hurt other people.

>> No.3863069

>>3862942
Collecting for any reason seems to deeply hurt rom hoarders.
Checkmate logic.

>> No.3863710

>>3851920
>FUCKING THIS

Why do people seriously do this?

>> No.3863720

Im pretty sure all those copies of Ballz 3D and Batman Forever will someday be relics. Keep buying them you stupid motherfuckers

Seriously, buying bad games just to collect dust is stupid.

>> No.3864452

>>3863710
>autism
>forever alone
>small dick
>etc

>> No.3864454

>>3851920
I do this for systems with smaller libraries because it's fun for me to hunt them down and go for completion. Blow me.