[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 35 KB, 283x750, Tower_of_Sonic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3840603 No.3840603 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm looking for a bit of help.

I've unearthed my Mega Drive/Genesis, model 2 from my parents attic this weekend, tried it out at their place, connected it to a modern TV via RF, everything was working fine.

Today i brought it home with me and connected it to an old CRT tv i have, with the same cable, but it's making a really annoying noise, like a buzz, and no actual sound is played during gameplay.

The image quality is fine, the games i tried all worked fine. Except no sound/buzzing.

From what i gathered, it might be that the damned thing isn't getting enough power, but i don't really have a way to test that at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone has solutions in case it's really not getting enough power, or other reasons why it might be doing this...

The AC adaptor is the original one, by the way and everything seems to be in excellent condition give it's age.

>> No.3840610

>>3840603
Have you tried using a different coax cable? The other option which you should be using is RCA composite. You can still buy genesis adapters online.

>> No.3840637

>>3840610
No, i don't think i even have one that i could use.
And this TV doesn't even have RCA, only SCART. Then again, i'm pretty sure i have 2 or 3 RCA to SCART adapters lying arround.

The RF should be fine though since i can watch the TV perfectly, unless there's a problem with the pins that connect to the console themselves i guess.

>> No.3840828

Sounds like one TV is NTSC and one is PAL

>> No.3840849

>>3840828
Wouldn't that make it so that i couldn't even plug one into the other? And even then, wouldn't that affect the image rather than the sound?
The RF is the original MD2 one by the way.

And I can't even fathom how i could have gotten a NTSC tv in Europe. On accident at least.

>> No.3840903

After fiddling with the I/G switch for the third time, it worked.

Dunno why, dunno why it didn't work before, don't care. I feel stupid, but at least i can play Sonic and Knuckles now.

>> No.3840978

>>3840637
Maybe it's an issue with the RF cable.

Buy an RGB SCART cable. Not only will you get better picture quality, you'll know for sure if the issue is with the RF cable or the console itself.

>> No.3841075

Since this thread is here, I've got a somewhat related question: Does anyone know of a US supplier for genesis 2 (9 pin din) to scart cables with separate RCA output? Something like this:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega-mega-drive-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead-with-rca-sound
but available in US?

Also, can anyone confirm that those cables + a scart-to-component box like this:
https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO
will allow for lag-less component output to an NTSC crt from a model 2 genesis?

Thanks.

>> No.3841091

>>3841075
There wouldn't be a US seller of SCART because it didn't exist here. Buy the European one or make your own.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm

>> No.3841293

>>3840849
I was thinking more that your Genesis might be NTSC and your mom's modern TV might be dual format a lot of modern ones are just to simplify manufacture.

>> No.3842137

>>3841091
>i never saw it so it didn't exist