[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 116 KB, 480x272, xenogears.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3820941 No.3820941 [Reply] [Original]

What's your thought on Xenogears, /vr/?

>> No.3820943

>>3820941
I'm playing through it, and I really like the story. I just finished the cave part, and I really don't like Bart

>> No.3820971

>>3820941
From what I played before my ps3 hard drive crashed, it was pretty good. A bit slow, but that's fine by me. If I had one real complaint, it's the fact that you aren't given a mini-map in a town that is in full 3D and everything looks the same. The camera is a bit too zoomed into the player, and you can get disoriented pretty easily if you rotate the camera around before getting your bearings. Otherwise, pretty solid. I'll jump back in someday when I gather the patience.

>> No.3820974

Pretty good for the most part, although Disc 2 shits on everything. After a certain point, you feel like the story is going nowhere, then they start to rush it towards the ending.
I didn't really like most of the Gear designs (except Seibzehn), but they have a very good "feel" to them.

>> No.3821010

>>3820941
Story is convoluted.

Why do people have 3 identities?

Ambitious...too ambitious.

Zoom in on the pixels to transition. Okay...enhance! Enhance! Enhance!

I like building AP and then unloading on these niggas.

It's better than FF7.

It's okay, but I don't like JRPGs.

>> No.3821149

>>3820943
I just rescued Margie and did the boss fight after. It's kind of slow but I really vibe with it a lot. I think it can be an all timer for me when it picks up.

>> No.3821165

Going to buy it as soon as it goes on sale on psn again

>> No.3821264

>>3821149
Yeah, I want to put more hours into it but my computer chair kills my back. I'm really liking the story too, and the characters and all. At least fei isn't as cringy as shingi from Eva.

>> No.3822152

Cons - Shoddy translation, some hokey/cliche anime tropes, convoluted plot points, clunky mechanics, incomplete Disc 2.

Pros - Probably the GOAT game in terms of ambitious, epic storytelling. The world building in this game is phenomenal and I enjoyed the use of 'cinematic' techniques. With the latter point, it felt very much like Star Wars when you see the Star Destroyer loom in over the screen for the first time.

In that sense, I feel that had Squaresoft given this game more support, it could have ended up the Star Wars of JRPGs.

The music is superb and Mistuda's best. Some of the villains are the best villains in any medium (most notably Grahf).

Imo, it's much better than FFVII which started off strong but got weaker and weaker as it went (until we got a shitty ending and shitty spinoffs/sequel movies).

>> No.3822238
File: 4 KB, 186x158, 1460368524489.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3820941
I'm not one to usually make these kinds of comments, but is it me or is there a thread asking this exact same question every week?

>> No.3822249

>>3822238
there's another thread with the exact same question in the catalog
I guess the game didn't get its dick sucked enough in that one, so OP had to make a new thread

>> No.3823645

>>3820941
Disc 1 is cool. Disc 2 is garbage. Overall it's not worth playing because it's an unfinished mess and makes zero sense unless you read multiple external and online supplementary materials.

>> No.3823825

>>3822152
>Imo, it's much better than FFVII which started off strong but got weaker and weaker as it went (until we got a shitty ending and shitty spinoffs/sequel movies).

As a fan of FF7 I have to agree with you. The problems with the original story could have been fixed with the spinoffs/sequels, but if anything they were only made worse to the point they retroactively ruined the original. I don't give a shit what anyone says, Crisis Core was one of the worst gaming experiences of my life, and not just because of the fanfic tier story.

>> No.3823928

>>3823645
>makes zero sense unless you read multiple external and online supplementary materials
WRONG, you stupid faggot. It makes plenty of sense as long as you aren't an autist are able to follow the development of themes within a story. The big one here concerns the existence of God and where to search in order to find him

>> No.3823931

>>3822238
I've been seeing these threads with exactly the same format for a while now. "What is /vr/'s thoughts on X" or something similar like that. I mean, it''s videogames so i don't have anything against it, the similarity just struck me.

>> No.3823957

All the dungeons suck ass.

>> No.3823962

>>3820941
Best story in a JRPG ever, pretty much.

>> No.3824004

>>3820941
Tried to play it once, couldn't get through some cut scene or whatever cos it was too long, so I fucking quit then and there; no joke, and I usually play long games with lots of reading.

>> No.3824056

>>3820941
Anime trash?

>> No.3824372

>>3823931
Yeah, I was specifically asking about Xenogears though.

>> No.3825378

>>3821010

>Why do people have 3 identities?

Id Ego Superego man, it's totally all about Freudian psychological theory. There's even a character named Id. How can you be so oblivious?

>> No.3825402

The beginning of a great legacy.

A shame about disc 2, though.

>> No.3825445
File: 75 KB, 736x588, captain of the thames.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3820941
One of my favorite RPGs.

>> No.3826096

>>3824004
If you weren't engaged with the story from start to finish then your opinion on it is de facto worthless garbage

>> No.3826118
File: 288 KB, 750x600, EMERALDA IS CUTE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Best grail

>> No.3827908

>>3825378
Because it's hard to keep track of. If I could've kept track of it, I might not've missed that aspect.

>> No.3827949

>>3821264
Seriously invest in a new chair. I thought it was a meme, but I was getting major back pain from my old piece of shit and I'm 30 and /fit/. Bought a high end lumbar support chair and I'm in no pain 3 months later.

>> No.3827979

>>3820941
Sadly rushed and way too ambitious, but I appreciate what they gave us. It's still the only game that has had a huge emotional impact on me, a fairly insensitive person in general, so that says something about how good some parts of the story were executed, especially the bittersweet love story between Fei and Elly throughout the generations.

Speaking of Fei, he's one of the most complex characters in videogame history, and that's awesome. I really like his development and his closure.

Emeralda is another character that I really love and care about, it's such a shame there wasn't much explanation about her. Her theme song hits my heart like a fucking bullet though, and never fails to clog my throat and get my eyes teary.

Chuchu. Chuchu. Unlike other people, I liked her a lot, mostly because it would help soften the emotional hits with her cheerful and funny attitude.

I could go on but I doubt anyone would care, so I'll leave it here.

>> No.3827989

>>3823645
disc 2 is good, I loved it

>> No.3828678

>>3827949
Yeah, I think I'll have to, sooner than expected. It really kills me. I get pain in my right anckle too, since I sit with my legs perched on the desk. Its pretty aggravating

>> No.3828679

>>3827979
I like ramsus because he's hot. I haven't finished the game tho.

>> No.3829697
File: 21 KB, 372x334, oh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Part 1
>>3820941
>Hey, Square made an RPG that got overlooked because of FF7.
Things it had going for it:
>Mechs.
>Kung fu.
>Yasunori Mitsuda
>Anime cutscenes.
>Id.
>Story that challenges normie ways of thinking, which, while cool, does tip its fedora too hard. Then again, it was 1997.

Things going against it:
>JRPG.
>No budget.
>Rushed/unpolished.
>Why do they zoom in to transition scenes? The shit doesn't look pixelated enough?
>Too much fucking dialog in an ugly font that you can't easily skip. You can fuck right off.

Gameplay critique:
>Does the game suggest storing AP as a strategy?
>The game doesn't reveal how you learn new skills.
>It seems like a few abilities were useless.
>Dungeons are mazes without maps; can be frustrating, but you do have a compass, so whatever.
>You're supposed to talk to everyone to advance the plot. I wish JRPGs would SAY who you're supposed to talk to and WHERE they're at. What makes sense to a designer doesn't make sense to a player. What skill are you exercising when you look for the guy who advances the plot? Patience? Trial and error? Is this in line with the core gameplay? The first town pisses me off.

>> No.3829701 [DELETED] 
File: 7 KB, 202x147, retardo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Part 2
>They give you adequate save points, but there's one that happens before a boss fight that can fuck you over. Bad design.
>The outcomes of dungeons and combat is singular. There's nothing you can do to outshine other players beside beating it fast--and you have to use a timer for that.
>"But that's how the genre is."
>Fuck off.
>Many boss fights are like puzzles, which is cool. If anything, I wish more combat had puzzle elements aside from a damage race. And more things that threaten your resources (fuel, money, expendables) so you have to effect a good economy.
>I wish I had more flexibility in my team makeup. In a game like this, I want most of my party, or at least their roles, ASAP so I can enjoy tuning a team to the challenge.
>If I'm not mistaken, the characters in this game are basically the same; interchangeable. That's bad because you have different flavors of the same fucking mechanics. Who gives a shit?
>Platforming in a JRPG, huh? I'll let it pass, but there should have been more of it, more complex platforming, and more finely tuned, or less punishing.
Here's what I'd change:

6.5/10, it was okay.

Also
>Fei ALWAYS makes a derp face.

>> No.3829703

>>3829697
Part 2
>They give you adequate save points, but there's one that happens before a boss fight that can fuck you over. Bad design.
>The outcomes of dungeons and combat is singular. There's nothing you can do to outshine other players beside beating it fast--and you have to use a timer for that.
>"But that's how the genre is."
>Fuck off.
>Many boss fights are like puzzles, which is cool. If anything, I wish more combat had puzzle elements aside from a damage race. And more things that threaten your resources (fuel, money, expendables) so you have to effect a good economy.
>I wish I had more flexibility in my team makeup. In a game like this, I want most of my party, or at least their roles, ASAP so I can enjoy tuning a team to the challenge.
>If I'm not mistaken, the characters in this game are basically the same; interchangeable. That's bad because you have different flavors of the same fucking mechanics. Who gives a shit?
>Platforming in a JRPG, huh? I'll let it pass, but there should have been more of it, more complex platforming, and more finely tuned, or less punishing.

6.5/10, it was okay.

Also
>Fei ALWAYS makes a derp face.

>> No.3830146

>>3829703
I'm at Kislev prison and man, I'm not liking this game anymore, I really hate the battles and the stupid fucking unfair 5 vs 1. Are you serious? Goddamn it gets tireing after a while. How far away am I to the end anyway?

>> No.3830217

>>3830146
Far, my friend. It's going to get worse. I thought the story was interesting when I played through it, and it gets anime as fuck, if that's your thing. But--is it FUN as a GAME? No.

>> No.3830219

>>3830146
You could get away with watching the "movie" on Youtube and downloading the ost.

>> No.3830237

>>3830217
Yeah, its totally not fun to play, it was pissing me off with the stupid same fights. I mean, I can grind play it but it puts me in a bad mood.

>>3830219
I don't know, I don't wanna be a bitch and cop out like that, but at the same time I wanna give in and just watch it on YouTube, since the plot is actually interesting. I don't know, man.

>> No.3830243

>>3830237
It's not bitching out. It's opting to not play because the game has no redeemable play value.

>> No.3830247

>>3830237
And you get to have more time to enjoy games that ARE worth your time.

>> No.3830418

>>3830243
Yeah, maybe you're right. It pains me somewhat since I had high expectations for this game.

>> No.3831035

>>3822152
Nice agree completely.

>>3822238
about every 3 weeks. Looks like its designed to bait that one autist who writes entire novels on why he hates Xenogears yet is so intimate with every part of the game.

>>3829697
I got lost in that fucking underground the prison even when I used a map from some website. the random encounters is what threw me off the most honestly but I hated that place.

>>3830418
high expectations tend to ruin many things. take a break from it for about 1 week and come back to it. otherwise youtube it if you care to know about the story.