[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-05-12: Maintenance has concluded successfully. 2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled.
2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 70 KB, 1280x720, ps1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3812369 No.3812369 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Did people in 1995 assume this was going to be another 3DO?

What did Sony do right that Panasonic & Phillips didn't?

>> No.3812379

good games and a good developer outreach plan and good hardware that let devs do what they wanted to easier than the competition.

>> No.3812390

>>3812369
The Sony brand name meant something back then. They were known for quality hardware. They made TVs, walkmans, camcorders--all kinds of stuff. It seemed only natural that they should make a video game system.

>> No.3812395

I for one didn't expect much. I saw posters and ads for it and thought they were wasting their time against Sega and Nintendo.

>> No.3812407

>>3812390
This. Was one the main reasons I bought one at launch. That and Ridge Racer.

>> No.3812428

I thought it was gimmicky till sometime in '96 I got to play Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshiden. I wanted one after that, but didn't get it till Christmas '97 with FF7 (I asked for SoTN though).

>> No.3812434

>>3812369
"299"

>> No.3812435
File: 49 KB, 1280x720, popy_game_pad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3812435

>>3812379
Landing FF7 after Square stomped out from Nintendo in a huff is cited as the biggest boost. I'd have to agree.

>> No.3812440

First time I got to play one was when Final Fantasy VII just came out. I ignored it till then since I thought it would be yet another shitfest non-nintendo console. The Genesis was really the only decent alternative console to Nintendo's offerings up till the PSX.
The presentation of the game blew me away, there was nothing close to it even on PC (at the time mind you). I knew what I wanted after that.
Saved up all of my money for months and bought one with FF7, FFT, and Castlevania SotN.
That was some good shit.

>> No.3812452

I hadn't even heard of the Playstation until around 96-97 when I saw it some kids house. He wouldn't let me touch because he said it was expensive.

>> No.3812462

They won due to their superior

A E S T H E T I C S

they had better advertising than Phillips and Panasonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmsXgVAWdQQ

Also having pretty much every Japanese publisher on board helped too,almost all the great games for the PS were made by Japanese Third Parties.

>> No.3812475

>>3812369
>Did people in 1995 assume this was going to be another 3DO?

No, because it already had superior games by good third-party developers (Ridge Racer, Toshinden, Tekken...).

Among video games magazines, the feedback was already overwhelmingly positive in the very first months of 1995, whereas it was just "meh" for the 3DO, the Jaguar, etc.

>> No.3812487

>>3812390
Really? Around here Sony was "failure" due especially to betamax

>> No.3812491

>>3812369
>What did Sony do right that Panasonic & Phillips didn't?

It was cheaper and had lots of good looking games.

Then in a few years they made it extremely cheap and got the market flooded with games.

Additionally, Sony was a good brand back then, not the complete fucking joke it is today.

>> No.3812501

>>3812487
Sony still was the major premium brand in the 90s, much like Apple today.

Their "failures" were as unimportant as the iPhone 5c compared to the general impression they conveyed.

>> No.3812507

>>3812369

In Europe 3DO was born already dead. I don't remember no one take seriously 3DO.
But yes, even with a warmer welcome PSX only was another step through Project Reality. That we thought.

>> No.3812508

There was quite a bit of optimism as I recall. Toshinden, Tekken, Ridge Racer etc helped build people's attachment to the brand. And especially the upcoming FF7.

>> No.3812524

>>3812369
> Panasonic
It never had a chance. Ridiculous introductory price. Hardware that got outdated in a few years. Too many FMVs which became old VERY quickly. Shit Western games like Ballz 3D. Almost no support from Japanese devs.

> Phillips
It wasn't even a console per se.

> What did Sony do right
Sony simply offered decent and reasonably priced hardware, with good conditions for devs.

But this was half of their success. Another half was the competition failing. Nintendo lost all their support from devs after years of fucking them over and sticking with carts, and they had to move somewhere. Meanwhile, Saturn was too complicated for its own good, too focused on 2D and pretty expensive.

PS just happened in the right time, at the right place. It was there, and all it had to do was be good enough. And good enough it was. So 3rd party devs simply said fuck it, and came and made their best games for PS. Capcom made RE, Konami made MGS, Namco made Tekken, Square made FFVII–IX… PS simply became the go-to console for 3rd parties. And this made it the new SNES. They didn't even need much to any 1st party activity.

>> No.3812527

>>3812369

I don't think people cared abou the Sony Playstation at first. It was the games that drew people. The Crash Bandicoots, Resident Evils.

>> No.3812541

>>3812524
>>3812369
Panasonic didn't own the rights to the 3DO. They bought the license from The 3DO Company, the actual creators of the hardware. Their idea was to follow a VHS-licensing business where various company would buy the rights to the technology. Panasonic just happened to be the one who made the launch model.

They later bought the rights to 3DO's successor, the M2, which they intended to market as their own system, but they decided against it just before launch.

>> No.3812545

>>3812527
this
I remember not having interest in it, thinking that only Nintendo or Sega could make successful consoles but the PSX (in b4 autists) kept receiving great games month after month. By 1996 it was clear that Saturn was going nowhere, and it was to be seen how it would compete with the N64. Then FF7 sealed the deal, kinda
(european impressions)

>> No.3812606

>>3812541
Yeah, I know. My point was, OP implied that any other company except Sega-Sony-Nintendo actually offered something equally good. When it all was obviously awful hardware with ridiculous prices, obvious lack of support, etc.

>> No.3812617

>>3812369

3DO hung itself on it's price tag. Phillips just didn't even try.

Between Sega being too busy killing itself and Ninty going full retard all Sony had to do was put out a competent console with games.

>> No.3812618

In 1995 I absolutely thought Playstation was going to be just another 3DO. That's exactly what I thought, in fact. Yes the Sony brand was respected but so was Panasonic. I played Twisted Metal in '95 and it was pretty good but so was Road Rash on 3DO. It wasn't until '96 that Playstation really won me over.

Now in hindsight I do know what they did differently, though I didn't at the time.
>3DO consoles needed to be sold at a profit since there was no licensing mechanism
>3DO was higher end hardware when it was released
>Sony had enormous CD factories and could press CDs cheaper than anyone else

Basically Sony very intelligently observed the good strategies every other moderately successful video game company around used and combined the licensing model from Nintendo (but actual value to the developers by handling manufacture and distribution) with Sega's extreme marketing and PC's/Panasonic's open development attitude.

>> No.3812637

>>3812369

The entire industry was scared shitless at the Playstation's reveal. We're talking about a Nintendo produced console that was in development for years before Sony took their ball and left. To be fair though it's not like Nintendo fought for it since they had every reason to believe the 32-bit realm wasn't worth bothering with.

>> No.3812643

>>3812618
>open development attitude
Nah mate. SCEA's retarded moratorium on 2D games says "Hi!"

>> No.3812670

>>3812643
That was really more a matter of market forces, I'm pretty sure. There were plenty of 2D games on Playstation they were just generally less successful and offered less return on investment than 3D games. With the exception of Little Ralph I can't think of any 2D Japanese Playstation games that would have been simple to Westernize that we didn't get.

>> No.3812674

Adding to what others have said, Sony managed to capitalize on its competitors. Sega's console was difficult to develop for and was pricey, AND had a horrible western launch that ruined it for the company. It also couldn't produce 'true' 3D graphics. Nintendo's console had inadequate video memory, AND it still used cartridges rather than optical discs - so many new big games could not fit and that drove away many devs to Sony. Popular SNES series were moving to PS rather than N64, e.g. Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Metal Gear.

Combining all these demonstrates that Sony were ahead of the game from the start.

Even without these stuff the PS would've still been attractive for getting home ports of Namco's Tekken and Ridge Racer series, which were hugely popular on arcades back then.

>> No.3812678

>>3812369

In 1995, I was still rocking SNES because goddamn was it a console shit show. Their "Who needs a new system" campaign and some of the later gen SNES games made it easy as did the numerous hardware failures between 1993 and 1995:

1. 3DO - Couldn't find a single game I gave a fuck about and the reviews for most games was lukewarm at best. I think Gex, Road Rash, and Need for Speed were the only games I saw with good reviews.

2. Atari Jaguar - Magazines and other gaming media were brutal with their disdain for the system due to its horrible library. Tried one at a gaming convention and hated the controller and awful gameplay and graphics for some 3-d driving game.

3. CD-I - I tried one at Sears with some weird trackball controller and hated it. Way too expensive as well.

4. 32-X - a disaster with only competent ports of Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing that even interested me, but not enough to get a genesis and 32-x.

5. Sega Saturn - Horrible ports of Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter, plus a terrible launch library, really hurt it in the US.

Because of all this, I waited until summer 1996 and by that point the PS1 was murdering the competition in every single category. N64 came late to the party and PS1 had top tier games in every single gaming category by 1997.

>> No.3812690

>>3812643
Explain SotN, Mega Man X4–6, and all the 2D fighters, shmups and RPGs.

>> No.3812709

>>3812606
Part of the reason why the 3DO was so expensive was precisely because Panasonic had to recoup for the expensive license.

It would've been interesting to see how the M2 would've fared, since that was supposed to be almost on par with the Dreamcast in terms of hardware spec and MGS1 was almost developed for it.

>> No.3812712

>>3812670
Gunner's Heaven desu senpai.

Always heard Bernie Stollar was responsible for putting a block on 2D stuff and JRPGs in the early days, and that the stuff that did make it through was largely due to some of the bigger publishers having the muscle to force the issue.

Given the fuckawful mess he made at Sega after getting the boot and finding his way over there I find it easy enough to believe.

>> No.3812713

>>3812369

By the time people had the first black box Resident Evil at home they knew it was here to stay.

>> No.3812728

>>3812690
Okay:
http://www.giantbomb.com/playstation/3045-22/

The policy basicaly lasted as long as it took Stollar to fuck off to Sega.

>> No.3812731

>>3812713
This. I remember playing Resident Evil in late 1996 and just stunned at how amazing it was compared to what I was playing a year ago on SNES.

>> No.3812732

>>3812674
>Nintendo's console had inadequate video memory
But it had more RAM, more memory bandwidth, and a texture cache twice as large as the PS1.

No dude, only real reason to avoid the N64 was cartridges, but it was a bloody big reason.

>> No.3812753

>>3812732
Not the thread for it but oh man..

>more memory bandwidth
With no DMA for the CPU.

>But it had more RAM
With truly absurd latency, which meant that...

>a texture cache twice as large as the PS1
... Was a fucking disaster. The PS1's texture cache was just that - a cache as you'd traditionally think of it. The N64, on the other hand, was so slow in dealing with anything NOT in the cache that you effectively had to use it for EVERYTHING, putting an effective 4KB upper limit on textures. Want to do mipmapping? You just cut that in half. GG.

>> No.3812758

I could never get used to the loading times, it still bothers me.
For some reason Sega Saturn load times seem to be shorter.

>> No.3812795

>>3812369
I didn't buy one until some time after the FF7 release. That single game didn't drive me to get the system, but that's when enough interesting games came out to get me interested. The 3d looked bad, even for that time. Felt burned on CD systems because of all the shitty FMV games on the Sega CD/3do etc.

>> No.3812815

>>3812728
> Stolar would leave SCEA after the first holiday of the system's existence.
So… It lasted 3 months, then?

Thank god though that Stolar left. He could've rejected FFVII.

>> No.3812824

>>3812713
This was my impression as well. Capcom releasing something as ground-breaking as Resident Evil on PS1 exclusively... meant that all the other consoles were irrelevant to major developers.

>> No.3813072

>>3812824
That was probably the first game to truly wow me. It was very immersive because at the time nothing out there was like it.

What I like about retro consoles is that they felt unique and the good ones all felt like they had something good to offer where as with modern consoles you really don't miss out on much unless you just have to have the exclusive games. Most of these exclusives can also easily be done on the other consoles to. This wasn't the case with retro consoles.

>> No.3813075

yeah because the ps1 had such memorable and nondated games like

>> No.3813087

I was born in 1990 and I'll tell you that original controller without the analog sticks looked COOL AS FUCK. The whole system had an alure to it. I remember creaming my pants looking at crash Bandicoot and I'd always stare at the console at a local corner store that sold and rented them when they came out. I'd beg my mom to let me rent one but she always said no. It felt like a real high tech thing. I never saw any ads for ff7 but a friend of my brother's loaned us his PC version later. Eventually got a psone ff7 and ff tactics. I loved it I'd stare at it and dream about it. It was the future. I still remember grabbing all the stuff and hooking it up in our living room when everyone was asleep and playing ff7 at 2am with it on mute, I was at the cliff area next to the crater. Ask me anything

>> No.3813131

>>3813087
>I was born in 1990
GET OUT

>> No.3813148

>>3813072

Not only that but their designs were more aesthetically distinct. Now they are all just x86 PCs in slightly different media center lookin' boxes

>> No.3813163
File: 28 KB, 395x218, ff64-6.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813163

>>3812369

In 1995 i was saving up for a nintendo ultra 64 because of final fantasy 7. Then Sony announced that they had snatched the game away, and that FF7 would appear on the psx instead. After i saw they had raiden too i said fuck it, ima go get a psx. Then i saw that sega had virtua fighter 2 & daytona usa and i went for the sega saturn instead. Half a year later i bought a psx anyway. Personally the i'd say the psx looked super exciting from the very start with all its glorious 3rd party arcade ports. But in looking back it was a cheap piece of crap hardware infested with mostly shovelware.

What did sony do right? They pumped a lot of money into marketing. Also their games came for free, if you know what i mean dude. Those two factors made all the difference.

>> No.3813167

Fuck Panasonic. I had a GOLDSTAR 3DO.

>> No.3813170
File: 151 KB, 445x358, PS1_Dual_Analog_with_Box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813170

>>3813087
>original controller without the analog sticks looked COOL AS FUCK.

The analog stick was stolen from sega and the psx controller was cheap rubbish. Besides the first 2 years sony didnt have a dual analog pads out. The dual analog came out April 25, 1997.

>> No.3813172

>>3812507
Is Russia Europe?

>> No.3813208
File: 1.30 MB, 2620x2280, PSX-Original-Controller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813208

>>3813170
WITHOUT you retard Segafags, no one can hear anymore dat fable "hur dur everyone stole analog idea from Sega"

>> No.3813217
File: 2.20 MB, 3780x2820, PlayStation-Analog-Joystick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813217

PlayStation had an analog joystick months before the Saturn or N64 controllers came out.

There was also the NeGcon, which had one analog axis and several analog buttons, though it was a Namco product.

>> No.3813220
File: 228 KB, 2256x1396, Namco_Negcon_twisted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813220

>>3813217
NeGcon, pic related. It could twist for analog left/right or up/down movement, and the R shoulder button and red face buttons were analog.

>> No.3813249
File: 45 KB, 500x663, 1873571 - Crash_Bandicoot Crash_Bandicoot_(series) S-O-Husky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813249

>>3813087
>I remember creaming my pants looking at crash Bandicoot

Me too!

>> No.3813253
File: 287 KB, 2715x1590, NeGcon_Interior_Posterior.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813253

>>3813220
It's the left shoulder which is analogue. The right has loads of travel but just actuates a microswitch at the bottom.

The mechanism was simply too large to cram five analogue controls in.

>> No.3813275

>>3813253
I knew it was either right or left. I couldn't remember which one it was.

>> No.3813280

>>3813217
>>3813217
Nintendo and Sega as discovered joystick with this pad ?

When Nintendo as developped Ultra 64 ?
When Nintendo as presented Ultra 64 with his pads ?

Nintendo 64 release, after Sony release Dual Analog.
Star Fox64 with Rumble Pack, after Sony release DualShock.

>> No.3813284

>>3813253
beautiful

>> No.3813289

>>3813249
Holy fuck you fucking weirdo. I masturbated to furry Sonic porn but a sexual thought about Crash has NEVER crossed my mind! What is wrong with you?

>> No.3813290

>>3812753
>With no DMA for the CPU.
DMA doesn't mean what you think it means. It refers to non-CPU components being able to do memory transfers without the CPU continuously monitoring the transfer. By definition, a CPU cannot lack "DMA".

The N64's CPU is directly connected to the console's memory controller. Thus, it does have direct memory access. However, the console does have a single memory channel which has to be shared between the CPU and RCP. The memory controller has been set so that if the CPU and RCP attempt to access memory at the same time, it will give preference to RCP, which is probably where this "no DMA" myth comes from.

>With truly absurd latency
Absurd *random access* latency. For linear reads, there is no latency.

>The N64, on the other hand, was so slow in dealing with anything NOT in the cache that you effectively had to use it for EVERYTHING
No, the reason you had to use it for everything is because there was no choice. The GPU's texture unit had no connection to main RAM, only to the texture cache. This "forced" texture cache design was to prevent bus contention from texture filtering (a feature the PS1 does not support).

>Want to do mipmapping? You just cut that in half.
What's your point? That's another feature the PS1 doesn't support.

>hurr the N64 is bad at something the PS1 can't even do

>> No.3813301

>>3813280
The point is that Sony already had an analog device before either Sega or Nintendo. It doesn't matter that it's a joystick rather than a standard controller. The main thing is that it uses analog controls.

>> No.3813316

>>3812541
And because of this the companies producing the console received no money from game sales, hence the $700 price tag.

>> No.3813328

>>3812369
I'll put it down to several points, but basically I feel like the PS1 was the perfect storm in several ways.

1) Great marketing. Sony basically took the kind of advertising that Sega pioneered with the Genesis and made them even cooler. Meanwhile, with Saturn, Sega had bizarre ads that appeared to target some kind of slacker/yuppie hybrid audience which felt uncool as fuck.

2) Great aesthetic feel to the product: The console had a nice flat aesthetic that made it feel more like a audio deckbed rather than a piece of gaming equipment. Even the boot up sequence oozed coolness.

3) Technology felt solid: It seemed to *just* work for 3D, crisp, fast and good looking. By comparison, the Saturn's 3D was slower, the visuals were less defined, even things like translucency looked wrong with mesh patterns and such. PS1's FMV looked great too, while Saturn's looked pretty bad. Even memory cards felt like good technology: small, no batteries so no risk of losing saves, compared with Saturn's internal memory which was prone to running out of battery power, or the save cartridge which was a massive block thing. 2D was certainly inferior to Saturn but for most consumers, the 3D the PS1 did was "good enough". Also the PS1's cheaper price, even though it appeared to do much better 3D than the Saturn really impressed people.

4) The competition happened to shoot themselves in the foot: Sega had their very expensive, complicated, underpowered (3D) monstrosity, while Nintendo remained with outdated cartridge technology and further tightened the screws on 3rd party. The 3DO, Jaguar, etc were all DOA. Sony virtually won the generation by default.

>> No.3813336
File: 37 KB, 600x450, 2720463-4113433581-XE1AP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813336

>>3813301
>Sony already had an analog device before either Sega or Nintendo

Sure, if you're only counting first party controllers. Pic related predates it by at least 6 years.

>> No.3813352
File: 24 KB, 793x800, Saturn_missionstick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813352

>>3813217
Nope. That came out in 1996, the Saturn's Analogue Mission Stick came out in 95.

>> No.3813437

>>3812369
I didn't give it any notice at all until 1997 when FF7, TR2, and several other great games came out.

>> No.3813445

>>3813328
You forgot:

5. COST! Some of the competing CD systems costed as much as $1000 while the games ran as high as $120 each for SNES and other systems.


At $299 with games at $40 - $50 each, it was a steal impossible to pass up. and in 1997/1998 when they started getting the best games for that $50 it was just too much for anyone else to be able to compete.

Plus demo discs everywhere, and people actually liked getting them to where a lot of the fun's been sucked out of download demos.

>> No.3813459

>>3813445
Demo discs were the best part of owning a PlayStation

>> No.3813472

in the UK we had a TV show called Games Master
when the PSX and Saturn were being released (or being imported from Japan), even Games Master thought that the Saturn was the future and that the PSX was going to struggle

i remember there was an episode where the only PSX games that were out at the time in Japan were a few pachinko sims and the like, so it seemed to come across as though the PSX was gonna struggle hard against the Saturn

>> No.3813535
File: 217 KB, 1024x768, 34[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813535

>>3813208
>>3813217
>>3813220
>>3813336
>>3813352
>yfw dual analog controls in 1983

>> No.3813539
File: 12 KB, 512x499, applejoystick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813539

>>3813535

And the first good one.

>> No.3813554
File: 952 KB, 401x292, Sword-of-Dawn.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3813554

>>3812670
>There were plenty of 2D games on Playstation they were just generally less successful and offered less return on investment than 3D games.

Plenty is a real overstatement. And the few that there were often did extremely well. Good looking 2D 32 bit art is much more expensive to produce than a bunch of polygons that are going to look blurry in the end anyways which is a big part of why there was such a hard swing to make 3D games.

>> No.3813574

>>3813554
Well, I suppose "plenty" is an overstatement but there are a couple hundred, very few of which were as/more successful than 3D games with similar budgets. I'm glad you agree that the cost of producing 2D games offered less return on investment than 3D games though since that was my main point - that it was natural market forces rather than any restrictive publishing policies Sony set in place.

>> No.3813967

Besides CD PSX looked more preferable for developers because it let program on C, unlike other platforms which still used asm.

>> No.3814000

>>3813967
any CPU newer than shit like the 6502 derivative put into the SNES can handle C just fine, and that includes the 68k in the genesis, neo geo and jaguar

both PS1 and N64 use a MIPS CPU which also like C

only reason you had to do ASM on saturn is because that system relied on its two CPUs to do shit that other consoles offloaded to vector units and you needed it maximise performance otherwise everything would run like shit

>> No.3814035

>>3813554
If you look at a sprite sheet of BlazBlue or Melty Blood, the sheer insanity of doing that many sprites is incomprehensible to me. Takoaka's sprite collection from Spriter's Resource contains 1100 individual sprites for instance.

High res 32-bit non-segmented sprites are a joy to behold but extremely time-consuming and expensive to do. Are they worth it? Shit yes.

>> No.3814073

>>3812369
Lots of games (especially more good games then the competition)
Lower starting cost

Historically these are the traits of nearly every "winning" console.

Low cost allows for larger early adoption.
Larger adoption means larger audience for game releases.
Developers make games for larger audience as they have better odds and higher payouts.
More games are made for it, statically that means more good games are made (even if 99% are trash).
More good games means more adoption and more payout for everyone in the chain.

Addition gains are made by having good developer outreach and support to help game get made faster and cheaper. Also having a few interesting titles at launch to really push it is great at jump starting this profitable reaction.

However now we don't see this for two reasons. One is the consoles are in pointless fights over specs and gimmicks, which does very little if the games are good. And game makers are leveraging things so much that they have to fail.
I.e. put so much money into making game that they take no risks and result in a generic piece of junk.
There were also a lot more development back then that would crash a burn taking the risks, back then. Now not so much.
we need cheap hardware and cheap games so artist can go nuts and make it fun again.

>> No.3814078

>>3813535
>>3813539
Everyone worth their salt knows about the analogue joysticks which date back pretty much as far as videogames themselves.

The point is that they weren't really direct precursors of the controllers we have today, whereas >>3813336 most definitely was and, to the best of my knowledge, the first of its kind.

>> No.3815924
File: 136 KB, 600x600, wipeout-usa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3815924

>>3812369
>Did people in 1995 assume this was going to be another 3DO?

Not that I recall, there was a great deal of buzz about the PlayStation. People were hyped for it.

>What did Sony do right that Panasonic & Phillips didn't?
Sony just csme along at the right time. You have to remember at that time, there was only one generation of gamers. We had all grown up on the NES and many of us turning into adults. Sony just seemed to have their finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist. They tied alot of the early marketing to young adult club culture - Wipeout being a great early example.

Sony made video games feel grown up. There wasn't the stigma of it being a toy. It was something cool and sexy. They were in the right place at the right time.

Can anyone else remember the wip'E'out controversy in the press at the time?

>> No.3815935

>>3812434
To this day, that's still one of the best mike-drops ever.

>> No.3815965

>>3812678
wasn't the Saturn kind of hard to program for? something about dual processors?

or at least harder to program for than the competition

>> No.3815976

>>3815965
>wasn't the Saturn kind of hard to program for? something about dual processors?

Yeah SEGA really fucked up. The Saturn was originally envisioned as a 2D powerhouse. Sony were smart enough to realise that 3D was the future and designed the PlayStation chipset architecture with those types of games i mind.

When SEGA saw the writing on the wall, they hastily scrammbled back to the drawing board and cobbled together a Frankenstein's monster so it could cope with 3D.

>> No.3815984

>>3815976
>Sega pioneers 3D in the arcades
>"herp derp let's make the Genesis' successor 2D only"

>> No.3815989

>>3815984
Didn't their arcade division operate independently from their console division? They even license some of their games on the Famicom and PC Engine for a while.

>> No.3815995
File: 279 KB, 266x200, The More.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3815995

>>3814078
Oh so that's why the right analog stick on modern consoles only has one axis!

>> No.3816021

>>3813208
its the shittiest controller even WITHOUT the stolen analog sticks, GTFO you brainwashed fool

>> No.3816031
File: 122 KB, 721x475, PS1-evolution2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3816031

>>3816021
Dude

>> No.3816040
File: 2.30 MB, 3543x2362, super-nintendo-controller-wallpaper-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3816040

>>3816031
It's a fact that many of the tweens on this board cannot accept.

But EVERY single major console for the past 25 years has stolen it's design direct from Nintendo's SNES pad.

Thank you based Nintendo.

>> No.3816095
File: 42 KB, 403x443, 1479900500872.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3816095

>>3815995
It was designed to work with a very limited selection of games which suited that particular layout.

Ignore that odd stick then, as your autism demands. It's still a million miles closer, especially to Nintendo and SEGA's initial offerings in the analogue realm.

>> No.3816436
File: 734 KB, 3264x2448, seganintendopads_5168.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3816436

>>3816040
Sega (and NEC) pulled the same shit when Nintendo made their joypad.

>> No.3816814
File: 67 KB, 1200x630, 121333336.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3816814

>>3816031
GET OUT YOU CANCERRRRR

>> No.3816825

>>3813163
>infested with mostly shovelware
I never understood why this is such a problem. Bad third party companies will develop for the most popular platform. A console with 50 proper games is the same as a console with 50 proper games and 100 shovelware. It's out of anyone's control. It happened on Playstation, PS2, NDS, Xbox 360, and so on. Do you think the console HQ is just going to tell people "please don't release your game on our platform"?

>> No.3816894

>>3816825
It would be extremely difficult for me to name 10 satisfying psx games. With the saturn that wouldn't be an issue at all. during the nineties i played hundreds of 32bit games. So its not a nostalgia thing.

>> No.3816910

>>3816894
It's just a thing boiling down to personal tastes. However the fact literal whos decided to dump their landfill all on a single platform shouldn't be a factor. This applies to other platforms too.

>> No.3817160

>>3812369
Kek

>> No.3817364

>>3816910
It can ruins a reputation tho, see the Wii and the literal tsunami of shovelwares about babies, puppies and other cute shit.

>> No.3817372

>>3817364
The Wii's reputation was never ruined though, except with "hardcore" gamers who hated it in the first place. It sold extremely well up until Nintendo discontinued almost all software support for it when the 3DS came out.

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action