Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 115 KB, 1324x1392, gottagoslow.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3747625 No.3747625 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Whi Sonic has such a retarded concept?

>"YOU GOTTA GO FAST!"
>"but if you go fast you will be punished"

>> No.3747630

You don't have to go fast.

>> No.3747632

>>"YOU GOTTA GO FAST!"
Don't take memes as facts

>> No.3747646

>>3747625
>Whi Sonic has such a retarded concept?
Same reason a hedgehog is fucking blue.

>> No.3747654

>>3747632
But if you don't go fast you just get a slow, floaty platformer with annoying physics.

>> No.3747662

>>3747625
>be born post-1995
>hear my idol Egoraptor totally tear sonic a new one on game grumps LIKE A BOSS
>decide to play it myself since I could probably make a dank reaction vid from it and get that sweet r/gaming karma
>download KEGA fusion and load that shit up
>tape down the right arrow key
>run into spikes and lose all my rings
LOL, this game is fucking trash m8, imma play some better platformers on ZSNES

>> No.3747668

I had a horrible time with Sonic at first and thought the damn game was broken. 32 years old, playing for the first time. Said fuck it and kept trying. You just have to figure it out. Love the game now. If you can't figure it out watch out "let's play" Ya dummies.

>> No.3747674
File: 173 KB, 1680x1120, suti_hami_suzu_2009.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3747674

Racing is such a flawed concept.

I mean, you're supposed to go FAST, right?
But there's all these curves, and if you go fast in them, you die! What the fuck?

>> No.3747684
File: 157 KB, 1869x1051, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3747684

>>3747674
I got you covered.

>> No.3747685

>>3747662
Not the OP, but IMO it feels really bad when you lose momentum in sonic, which the game forces you to do. If you try to clear the level fast in Mario you usually don't have to stop, of course you have to make adjustments and obviously be very precise, but the feeling of speeding through the level is still there.

>> No.3747697

Consider perhaps acquiring proficiency.

>> No.3747706

The problem is honestly a mix of marketing and Sonic 2 being extremely easy most of the way through. You can just brute force 2/3 of the stages in that game and quickly at that, and it's the best seller of Sonic's 2D games, so people thought of the outlier as the norm.

1 is more about teaching you mechanics and structure while CD and 3K focus on different forms of exploration. Going super fast was part of the learning curve and a reward for understanding sections and concepts.

>> No.3747709

There are plenty of parts in the game that move fast. The purpose was to show off the Genesis' DMA to developers, which was significantly faster than the SNES' DMA, meaning that you were able to update more screen tiles every frame.

A lot of first party titles are just tech demos to sell the console to 3rd party developers.

>> No.3748402

You gotta git gud to go fast, kid.

>> No.3748407
File: 8 KB, 236x187, 1483964102110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3748407

>>3747662
>hear my idol Egoraptor totally tear sonic a new one on game grumps LIKE A BOSS
Isn't this the same complaint zelda manchildren use whenever people talk shit about their perfect game OOT?

Sonic sucks you fucking faggot, there's a reason why you actually go way faster in Mario on average than you do in Sonic

>> No.3748409

https://youtu.be/gPfX1M0_pu4

>> No.3748414

>>3747625
The concept was to make a platformer that felt like a pinball machine.

>> No.3748416

>>3748414
Is that why you have ridiculously little control over sonic's momentum?

>> No.3748431

Because it's on a shit tier console made by a shit tier company with few good exclusives, and it's most well known franchise is made for literal autists?

>>inb4 m-m-muh Sanic! Gotta go fast!

>> No.3748434
File: 50 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3748434

>>3747625
THAT'S RIGHT, JAY

>> No.3748449

>>3748407
>here's a reason why you actually go way faster in Mario
But why? How can a fatass like him run so god damn fast, yet even run in the first place? I dunno, I came to hate them both anyways. Crash and Spyro are much better mascots honestly. Too bad they got shat on a lot in recent times.

>> No.3748468

>>3748434

>Jay

Jay doesn't fuck with video games, it's Jack you're thinking of. Jack and Rich have about the worst opinions on video games I've ever heard too, the Sonic video they did is literally >>3747662 except they're in their mid-thirties. Jack's shit-tier in general though.

>> No.3748489
File: 126 KB, 1280x720, 1280x720-yix[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3748489

>>3748468
RIGHT YOU ARE, KEN

>> No.3748515

>>3747625
It's an arcade game. You are supposed to figure out the levels, to learn how to avoid getting punished. Also, going fast is not the goal, it's just a reward if you are good enough, plus bonus eye candy.

>>3747709
>The purpose was to show off the Genesis' DMA to developers, which was significantly faster than the SNES' DMA, meaning that you were able to update more screen tiles every frame.

Sonic doesn't even do DMA, other than once per level when it switches out the title card font to badniks, and once again in the end to switch out badniks to the score tally screen and the robot egg you bust open. The actual levels themselves all run entirely out of RAM.

What Sonic did showcase was
- colourful and detailed graphics (remember, most people at the time had a NES)
- multiple layers of parallax
- shitload of sprites on screen, like when you lose rings or when you get invincibility and leave a trail of stars
- gigantic levels
- and on top of all that, you had the ability to speed around so fast that no console before could.

And the series peaked at Sonic 2. CD and 3K had levels so huge that they became boring, since they all took a long time to finish but offered near zero challenge. 2 had smaller levels and they were filled with more action.

>> No.3748529

>>3747625
You don't get punished for going fast. You get punished for being unable to memorize the locations of enemies. You get rewarded for going slow if you collect every fucking ring and find all the alternate paths with secrets. It's smart to do this and rack up lives in the first few easy levels so you can get a lot of practice with the later ones and learn not to fuck up on them.

Anyway all this recent Sonic hate is annoying. I want to think it's Nintendrones but someone mentioned youtubers so I'm guessing a /v/illage is missing it's idiots. You fucking children need to get off my board.

>> No.3748564

>>3747625

You're supposed to git gud.

>> No.3748569

>>3747654

It literally has the best platformer physics system ever made.

Kids can easily pull off everything they need to do in that game.

>> No.3748598

>>3748407
Yes, there is: Mario has no challenge

>> No.3748736

>>3748598
3 lives and no continues isn't challenge, it's artificial difficulty.

>> No.3748737

It's because of me parroting Youtube celeb's opinions.

>> No.3748740

>>3748449
Disgusting.

>> No.3748746

>>3748736
>artificial difficulty
I would say the challenge of the sonic games are playing for score... but judging by your post you can't even survive.
wow

>> No.3748780

>>3747625
None of them. Stop falling for what an ad said 25 years ago and judge the game on its own merits.

>> No.3748798

When I'm playing Sonic, I feel like I'm doing something wrong if I'm not going fast.

>> No.3748806

>>3748798
That's the point, speed is a reward for gitting gud.

>> No.3748819
File: 17 KB, 500x214, chen doesn't give a fuck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3748819

>>3747625
You need to be 18 or older to post on this site.

>> No.3748903

>>3748431
I like how underage poser faggots like this kid stick to Nintendo systems, makes all the others the nicer home for real gamers where we don't have to worry about cringeworthy faggots like this showing up to cons in power gloves with NES belt buckles and ruining the fanbase

>> No.3749508

>>3747625
Yeah, that's kind of the problem with the original Sonic games. You often get punished for going fast. He has slow acceleration too. So on average Sonic moves slower than Mario. You have to play levels several times and commit everything to memory to find opportunities to go fast.

>> No.3749524

Why do so many people who don't know shit about Sonic feel like they're entitled to having their opinions about Sonic valued?

>> No.3749539

>>3749524
We can say for sure they weren't alive in 1991. Given what video games looked like back then, you cannot forget the awe you felt the first time you saw Green Hill Zone. The first time you lost your rings. The first time you had to fight Robotnik with his giant ball. The speed. The colors. The music. It felt like a work of art from another planet that instantly turned the other platformers into negligible, tedious, ugly little things.

That's what crybabies who started video games with their Wii can't understand.

>> No.3749541

>>3749524
because they are GAYMERS

and studied game design in art college

>> No.3749543

>>3748515
>The actual levels themselves all run entirely out of RAM.

That statement literally doesn't make sense and I don't think you know what DMA is. DMA is a method of rapidly transferring data from ROM/RAM to VRAM, and it's used extensively to fill out the scroll plane tables in Sonic and virtually every other scrolling game on the console (hell, DMA is used in virtually every game on every console). You can't run the plane table "out of RAM", that's not how the hardware works, it's by definition stored in VRAM and is required to be updated regularly, unless you're claiming a level is only 128 tiles wide.

As far as I'm aware Sonic doesn't use DMA to transfer tile pattern data during gameplay if that's what you're talking about, but neither do most games (with the exception of some animation techniques). Tile data is far from the only thing that Genesis stores in VRAM, though.

>> No.3749574

>>3747625
Acquire skills.
Or just off yourself.

>> No.3749586

Are you suggest the game should let you go fast without any challenge?

Why don't you play Mario Kart instead, you fucking toddler.

>> No.3749597

>>3747674
Funny you say that. Circuit de Sarthe actually had a problem because the back straight was so long that drivers would damage their engines by throttling it down the whole thing. The track managers eventually had to add chicanes along the length of the straightaway in order to break it up.

>> No.3749598 [DELETED] 
File: 71 KB, 640x400, vlcpmtrackwm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3749598

>> No.3749604 [DELETED] 
File: 133 KB, 1024x768, genesis farts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3749604

>>3747625
Farts go fast like Sonic

>> No.3749607
File: 1.38 MB, 640x474, emerald hill.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3749607

>punished

by who

>> No.3749612
File: 14 KB, 544x288, 1480789838405.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3749612

>>3748515
I prefer sonic 2 myself l, but it was my pack I'm game with my genny as a kid so I think that's natural.

On s3&k levels being huge...do you feel that if each act were separated it wouldn't feel like such a slog? As a kid that seamless transition felt really next level but now when I play it just feels like each zone goes on and on forever with the same shit.

>> No.3749673

>>3747674
In racing you can see turns coming. With Sonic the screen is too small to know when it's safe to go fast. You have commit an entire stage to memory in order to get the most use out of Sonic's high speed gimmick. This is like playing a racing game that only let's you see 30ft in front of you.

>> No.3749693

>>3749673
You must have some godawful reflexes.

Do you know how you go fast in Sonic? Practice. You have to learn the levels.

Do you think that a race driver who drives on a circuit he's never done before will get a record lap the first time, just because "he can see the turns coming"? No, the first time he'll be moving A LOT slower, learning the lines and braking points for each corner. Then, after a lot of practice, he can move through the course at a constantly high speed. This is exactly how Sonic works.

This trend of, "Sonic sucks because you can't just go fast with no effort" is coming from incompetent, whiny players that refuse to even consider that their skills are lacking, and then scramble to blame anything and everything for their awful playing. That's pretty fucking sad considering this is the easiest platformer series after Kirby.

>> No.3749703

>>3749673
Even in racing you have a gigantic advantage if you know the track.

>> No.3749730

>>3749693
>You have to learn the levels.
I literally said this.

>Do you think that a race driver who drives on a circuit he's never done before will get a record lap the first time, just because "he can see the turns coming"? No, the first time he'll be moving A LOT slower, learning the lines and braking points for each corner. Then, after a lot of practice, he can move through the course at a constantly high speed.
Your first lap will certainly not be a record breaker, but you CAN see quite a distance in front of you. So even on your first lap you can generally tell where you should accelerate and decelerate. The same cannot be said about Sonic. You would need a 15 foot wide screen for this to apply to Sonic.

>This trend of, "Sonic sucks...
I never said Sonic sucks. I'm just pointing out what I perceive to be a significant flaw.

>whiny players that refuse to even consider that their skills are lacking, and then scramble to blame anything and everything for their awful playing.
Stop projecting. I've beaten the original games. They're solid games. I and many other players just find it tedious to have to memorize the stages in order to get good use out of Sonic's high speed.

>> No.3749740

>>3749730
Nearly all Sonic levels have several long, open paths where you CAN go fast without any trouble. Also, most of the stuff that break your momentum are just ledges or item boxes that don't damage you.

Even if you do run into enemies or spikes suddenly (which I don't remember happening often even when I first played Sonic), you can easily regain your lost rings. I don't get how any of this is tedious or unpleasant.

>> No.3749769

I am a Sonic fan boy. I prefer original Sonic over Mario but OP has a point. I enjoy going fast but if I do I will miss out on rings so I always tend to go back to collect rings. Stupid.

>> No.3749796

>>3749740
>Nearly all Sonic levels have several long, open paths where you CAN go fast without any trouble.
Yeah but you still need to develop a strong familiarity with the stages to know which paths are safe to do so, which is the entire point I am trying to get at.

>Also, most of the stuff that break your momentum are just ledges or item boxes that don't damage you.
Perhaps on some early stages, but not so much on the later ones.

>Even if you do run into enemies or spikes suddenly (which I don't remember happening often even when I first played Sonic), you can easily regain your lost rings. I don't get how any of this is tedious or unpleasant.
If you're new to the game you must farm for lives in order to increase your odds of beating the game. In order to do this you have to collect a hundred coins so getting hit and losing them is a big deal (they could have fixed this problem by allowing coins to be carried over to the next level). This means you often have to avoid the high risk of moving fast.
If you're not new to the game, you don't have to farm for lives since you've already played through the game and went through the process of trial & error and you pretty much know everything that's in store for you. Thus you can afford to lose coins &, in addition, you generally know which spots are safe for high speed.

>> No.3750031

Is this thread ironic?

>> No.3750049

>>3749730
>I and many other players just find it tedious to have to memorize the stages
You have to memorize the stages of pretty much any old platformer to get the most out of the game. Mega Man is arguably worse about this than Sonic is.

>> No.3750071

>>3747625
>"but if you go fast you will be punished"
that's why i learned to do a little jump every time i went fast

>> No.3750075

Sonic CD was the worst when it came to this, holy shit.

>> No.3750079

>>3750075
why can't you just admit that your reaction speed is too slow for fast

>> No.3750083

>>3748740
Lol. Not liking crash and spyro literally makes you autistic. Your doctor could diagnose you pretty easily. Just tell him what you told us.

>> No.3750084

>>3750079
The level design itself wasn't bad, but the whole warp signs system sucked dicks.

>> No.3750173

>>3749796
>farm lives
>in Sonic
the entire point of the ring system is to make it hard for the player to die out of nowhere because they didn't know what was coming, since you only need one ring
there is no need to farm lives in Sonic in any way, it's hard to die in the Genesis trilogy to anything other than bottomless pits, which are placed strictly in slower-paced sections of the stage

>>3749730
>Your first lap will certainly not be a record breaker, but you CAN see quite a distance in front of you. So even on your first lap you can generally tell where you should accelerate and decelerate. The same cannot be said about Sonic. You would need a 15 foot wide screen for this to apply to Sonic.
where in the living hell are you pulling these numbers from, and do you have the reaction level of a distracted 60-year-old

>>3749796
>Yeah but you still need to develop a strong familiarity with the stages to know which paths are safe to do so
in any game with any actual stage design, you need this anyway, you can't just rush ahead and expect to win without knowing, and Sonic still provides opportunities for speed even without having seen the stages
the layouts don't discourage the player from running ahead since they usually slow the unaware player down before major danger (while providing a visible way to avoid the slow down so when you come back, you can zip past the area)

>> No.3750183

>>3750173
>where in the living hell are you pulling these numbers from, and do you have the reaction level of a distracted 60-year-old
It's hyperbole, but he's not wrong. There's a reason why the Sonic ports on Android and iOS are the definitive versions. The true 16:9 aspect ration gives you a wider field of view and thus makes the game less cheap.

>> No.3750258

>>3750173
>and do you have the reaction level of a distracted 60-year-old
You can't instantly cancel out of a spin dash, genius.

>> No.3750267

>>3748903
>>autism intensifies
>> H-h-he made fun of Sanic! How dare he not like repetitive gameplay with shitty music!

>> No.3750938

>>3749796
You can also just roll into a ball and you can go fast in most sections without worrying too much about the enemies.

Sonic 1's last 2 levels a bit shit in this regard but they're also the last levels, so of course you are expected to git real gud in them.

First levels in any Sonic game allow even a retarded child to just hold right and enjoy the speed, I was speedrunning Green Hill Zone in the first day the first time I played Sonic, and I was like 10.

>> No.3750941

>>3749796
>>3750173
Also on the whole "farming lives" thing. In Sonic 2 you definitely should because the final level is absolute unexcusable horse shit.

But desu is not hard to farm lives, you get 3 extra lives pretty much in every level if you can finish it in less than 5 minutes and with like 50 rings, since you get a continue every 100k points.

>> No.3750946

>>3749541
why would anyone study that? why not just do programming, math or physics?

>> No.3750949 [DELETED] 
File: 62 KB, 500x354, tumblr_lpzn6bwDld1qgf2oeo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3750949

>> No.3750952

>>3750084
>I can't not suck for 10 consecutive seconds

>> No.3750981

>>3749539

That's no excuse, I barely touched any retro games that weren't Mario until the Wii virtual console became a thing, and I'm probably more into retro games than I've ever been, and certainly more into retro games than modern games.

>> No.3750996

>>3747625
The games were meant to be replayed. Once you get used to the levels you can go even faster since you know them.

>> No.3751197

>>3749543
I thought DMA (in general, not just in the genesis) was a mechanism that took care of memory moves and/or copies after being issued a command by the cpu, letting the cpu keep doing work while the memory is being transferred (instead of stalling it waiting for the memory operation to finish). Not necessarily ram to vram

>> No.3751245

>>3747625
>"but if you go fast you will be punished"
This is a get good issue here.

GitGud Nerd

>> No.3753191

The real issue is that people still haven't gotten over the Nintendo vs Sega war.

>> No.3753193
File: 193 KB, 619x597, 1449581538885.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3753193

>>3749607
>fucked up the route and landed on the lower path
>still got :24

>> No.3753201

>>3753193

If he wasn't hell-bent on avoiding springs he could've kept to the upper path for the entire level.

>> No.3753281

LOL just go play Mario then, Nintendon't require you to have any skill or reflexes.

>> No.3753716

>>3747685
You don't have to stop in Mario because its for babies.

>> No.3753718

>>3753281
>if someone attacks Sonic, it MUST be a Nintendo fan!

>> No.3753952

>>3747685
>Losing momentum in Sonic feels very bad
This is true, when Sonic is going full speed any stop is a skid to sudden halt and then it takes a good 10 seconds of running to gain any real speed again. Thanks to the level design you're usually on a hill and then you end up going back and forth like a pendulum, the Spin Dash rectifies this but it's still horrible to lose your speed and have to spin back up every 2 seconds.

>> No.3753965

>>3747625
This is why I like Sonic Adventure, it doesn't punish you for shit, it's the ultimate in Go Fast.

>> No.3753972

>>3747625
>>"but if you go fast you will be punished"
Git gud and learn the level design, scrubshit.

>> No.3754075

>>3753972
How long until play like this?
https://youtu.be/0uc5YZgYp-U

>> No.3754105

>>3754075
a few days at most, too easy

>> No.3754225

>>3747662
BAIT

>> No.3754278

>>3754075
>How long until play like this?

Once you get all 7 emeralds and transform to Supersonic/knuckles.

>> No.3754394
File: 1.51 MB, 480x360, shockinglifts.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3754394

mario goes fast in more interesting ways

>> No.3754404

>>3748736
Oh please the Sonic games, especially 3, just throw lives at you.

>> No.3754416

>>3754394
>When they jump off of the surface of the water

Was neat until that point. Obvious hacks are obvious

>> No.3754418

>>3754416
He doesn't touch the hitbox of the water. He's doing a wallkick off that wall.

>> No.3754426

>>3754418
A wall kick straight up and forwards. Seems totally legit.

>> No.3754427

>>3754426
I don't think you understand how the game's physics work. SM64 wallkicks send you off at the same angle you make contact, and if you input on the first frame you make contact, you'll leave the wall at the same speed at which you make contact.

Watch it more closely. It's obviously not hacks, I've seen people do this in front of me in real life.

Here's a compilation of stuff like this: https://youtu.be/KMh18pb0A4o

>> No.3754428
File: 16 KB, 320x224, sonic1-zone3.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3754428

But more importantly, what gave it such a comfy feel?

>> No.3754435

>>3754427
>leave the wall at the same speed at which you make contact.
as well as gain some additional height*

>> No.3754806

>>3747625
Once you get familiar with it you can go fast.
You know, like any other platformer or racer?

>> No.3754810
File: 220 KB, 1280x720, nights-journey-of-dreams-20071129043904485.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3754810

>>3754428
SEGA games are the definition of comfy.

>> No.3754815

>>3748569
>It literally has the best platformer physics system ever made.
>literally

>> No.3754823

>>3748737
Is this your answer to everything true that you don't like?

>>3748819
Quality argument faggot

>>3749508
This, the sole problem with sonic is that he has no fucking acceleration

>>3749524
Why do so many sonic autists think anything said about their shitty game is false and has no merit?

>>3749539
>My feelings are objective fact
Holy shit don't break your neck choking on that dick dude sonic wasn't that fucking mindblowing

>>3749541
Quality argument, faggot

>>3749586
I'm suggesting the goddamn premise of the game be met, selling a game as a game where you go fast and instead getting a sloppy platformer where you can only go fast for 2 seconds at a time before having to recollect speed again is disappointing

>> No.3754841

>>3754823
Boy, you sure are mad about being shit at a children's game.

>> No.3754869

>>3754841
Quality argument, faggot

>> No.3755264

No you gotta save the animals you blabbering autistic fuck.

>> No.3756043

>>3753718
Not the retard you're responding to, but he's got a point.

Nintoddlers point at Sonic and accuse it of requiring you to memorize stages to go fast while conveniently overlooking the fact that Mario games require this as well.

Go tell someone who's never played Super Mario Bros. to speedrun it. See how that works out

>> No.3756046

>>3756043
But what about OP makes you think he's a Nintendo fan? Where does he talk about Mario?
OP could very well be a PlayStation guy who grew up with Crash, or a guy who hates platformers in general. Or just a troll.

>> No.3756051

>>3756046
OP is, and always will be, a faggot no matter the subject matter. I'm simply pointing out that the 'you have to memorize the stage' argument is flawed and can be applied to literally any platformer.

>> No.3756057

>>3756051
We can agree, I guess, but there's still nothing about OP that suggests he's a Nintendo fan.

>> No.3756062

>>3756057
I only brought up Mario because that's the game everyone in this thread keeps bringing up.

This argument can be applied to any platformer that requires some form of skill. Mario, Sonic, Crash, even fucking Bubsy (speaking of being punished for going fast...).

>> No.3756063

>>3747632
The entire marketing campaign of the first game was how balls to the wall fast it was.

>> No.3756067

>>3756063
and the entire marketing for dark souls is how hard it is, but it's not hard now, is it?

>> No.3756068

>>3756067
It is because my favorite youtuber said so.

>> No.3756075

>>3749543
Updating the pattern tables is still just a few bytes per frame, any console that can scroll in 4 directions can do that equally fine. The only halfway tricky thing Sonic did was the mid screen palette change for the water effect (not a big deal), some linescrolling on the background (also not a big deal), and maybe the ripple effects in Labyrinth Zone (JP version only).

Sonic wasn't some demo for developers. It just had very colourful graphics, quite advanced physics for its time well suited for running around, and the ring-damage system that made it very fun to play.

>> No.3756080

>>3754404
>the Sonic games, especially 3, just throw lives at you.

I once played Sonic & Knuckles (no Sonic 3) explicitly for getting as high score and lives as possible, I think I got something around 120 by the end. Had 5-600 rings on average per stage, WITH Supersonic.

This was without Sonic 3, which gives you 6 more stages worth of signposts to play bonus games on.

>> No.3756105

>>3756075
It's obvious to anyone you don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about and are just inventing shit as you go. I suggest you stop hiding behind your anonymity online and stfu. Everything you've said is either trivial or wrong.

>> No.3756143

>>3749612
That's a pleasantly relaxing .png you posted, who are you?

>> No.3756197

>>3754841
>a children's game.
Quality is unrelated to target audience. Except for you, since your parents always gave you shit to eat to not waste "good adult food".

>> No.3756208

>>3756105
You might want to back up your argument with actual data. Tell us, exactly how much data Sonic DMAs that it is considered "super fast"?

>> No.3756215

>>3756197
>Quality is unrelated to target audience.

A younger target audience would have far less expectations regarding quality and features, so yes, quality IS related to target audience.

>> No.3757314

>>3747625
>Only posts screenshots from the weakest game in the trilogy

>> No.3757324

>>3756197
I'm saying that he's whining about a children's game being too difficult, you dense cumguzzling faggot. As in literal children can clear Sonic games without much trouble.

The retards that push the "ur supposed to go fast but u get hit!!!" horseshit apparently can't match the skill and reflexes of a fucking five year old, and their brainpower seems to be lagging behind that level as well.

>> No.3757402

>>3754810
Why the hell did you post journey of dreams to exemplify it.

God dammit.

>> No.3757427

>>3757402

It's a super comfy game. You'd have to be insane to think otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxHp6TlrZR8

>> No.3757443

>>3757427
It's BORINGCOMFY though.

>> No.3757578

>>3757324
This. Nice.

>> No.3757729
File: 81 KB, 770x899, pleur.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3757729

>>3757314
Sonic 1 is the patrician choice.

>> No.3757740

>>3747625
Sonic is vaporwave

>> No.3757771

>>3757740
It's not, Sonic was properly released in 1991.

>> No.3759045
File: 2.37 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_1083.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3759045

>> No.3759126

>>3757771
concepted and developed in the 80's

>> No.3759127

>>3759126
Right, but vaporware is stuff that wasn't released.

>> No.3759131

>>3759127
I said vaporWAVE my man.

You're not hip to my jive, old turkey.

>> No.3759145

>>3759131
You kids and your new coined up terms out of nowhere.

>> No.3759147
File: 293 KB, 1600x900, hd-aspect-1471537670-es-081716-vaporwave[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3759147

>>3759145

>> No.3759149
File: 1.34 MB, 1021x1600, 1464295063790.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3759149

>>3747625
Have better reaction timing than a drunken grandmother and you won't be punished. Git gud.

>> No.3759153

>>3754394
I'll concede that Super Mario 64 is the apex of physics based platforming.
But Sonic did a great deal to pioneer it.

>> No.3759676

>ywn be this mad over Sonic
kekekekeke go back to watching gamegrumps ya 13 year old

>> No.3759767

>>3747625
>if you go fast you will be punished
you're not punished for going fast, you're punished for being shit at video games.

>> No.3759818

"Slow and steady wins the race."

What kind of race?

Wait don't answer that.

>> No.3762289

>>3754404
This. Its virtually impossible to get a game over unless you're absolutely garbage at the game.

>> No.3762297

I'm honestly shocked that its common nowadays for people to complain about sonic games punishing you.

They were the easiest fucking platformers after Kirby for crying out loud.

>> No.3762305

>>3747625

OP are you baiting or are you really this much of a casual?

Do you think taking damage in beat em ups is "punishment" as well?

>> No.3762327

What is the punishment that you're talking about? Running into walls, pits, and robots?

It's a children's game, good lord.

>> No.3762341

>>3750267
>shitty music
Hey fuck you no it doesn't.

>> No.3762345
File: 212 KB, 578x563, 1440039753316.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3762345

Going fast was just a marketing scheme to differentiate Sonic from Mario and other platformers.

Green Hill Zone is really the only section that allows you to carelessly "go fast". Sonic is still a fun platformer, despite it.

>> No.3762354

>>3762345
People like you should never be allowed to post stupid shit like this. You are either baiting or you have no fucking clue that what you are saying is extremely stupid and at best only half true.

>> No.3762360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU7EHKFNMQg

2 SLAW!

>> No.3762372

>>3747685
I agree with this. I grew up with Sonic but I only really liked it when we got a Sonic & Knuckles because Knuckles lets you go sort of fast without losing your momentum all the time.

I much preferred playing Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Super Mario World. Looking back and revisiting those titles I see it's because they have much less dissonance in their game design. It's not about difficulty (zombies gets hard as fuck) but the fun parts of those games don't contradict each other nearly as much as in the 2D Sonic's.

If you like memorizing games like you're playing an instrument I can see how it would be fun though.

>> No.3762407

>>3762372
>If you like memorizing games like you're playing an instrument I can see how it would be fun though.
That would explain its popularity among autists.

>> No.3762410
File: 32 KB, 640x640, 12048535_983701995021927_147606526_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3762410

>>3762354
y-y-you too...

>> No.3762446

>>3762372
>If you like memorizing games like you're playing an instrument I can see how it would be fun though.

I can't believe that you are actually claiming it takes hours of practice to beat a fucking Sonic game. You're saying that there is dissonance in the game design, but the dissonance disappears if you learn how to respond to threats and figure out how to maintain Sonic's momentum by paying attention to how the character moves off of hills, slopes, and jumps.

Again: It is a game for small children. If you claim you are constantly running into shit, if you claim it takes rigorous effort to not die, you have failed to clear the skill floor of a children's game.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action