[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 93 KB, 500x500, retro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
372358 No.372358 [Reply] [Original]

So, I've gotten a slightly old, mediocre compaq laptop from a friend. I've installed Ubuntu on it, both because i wanted to try it, and because i didn't really have anything else. It's nice, and I’ve gotten used to it...but the emulation scene leaves a lot to be desired.

Most of the native emulators, like ZSNES and such, work ok, but are often several versions out of date, or have other niggling details that leech the experience. BSNES is good, but rarely bobs above 30fps with even the most basic of games. I can run most of the major emulators in Wine, but it leeches speed and often causes crippling sound issues.

So...does anyone have any suggestions? Similar issues with getting Ubuntu emulators to run well? Like i said, they work, but it'd be nice to have something better. Any help, suggestions, or generally nattering is welcome...

>> No.372391

I have a similar conundrum. I end up using Dosbox and DOS emulators for some emulators for older systems like SMS/GG via Meka (8 bit doesn't care). Really, the only thing I need to emulate in Ubuntu is SNES since PSP emulation of it is so awful.

I am planning to get a permanently-offline Windows XP box set up just for emulating. Streaming games on it would present a challenge (not that anyone wants to see my sorry ass play).

>> No.372449

>>372358
Dosbox seems to work without a hitch for me, but then i've not really put it through its paces. I've got NES, SNES, Genisis, Sega CD, Playstation, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and Nintendo DS shit to try and emulate, which makes it a little harder. No$GBA seems to work the best of all the wine-based emulators, and even it's not that great...

>> No.372462

have you tried compiling from source? i use arch and yaourt and compiled snes9x and pcsxr from source and it eliminates some of the problems with controls and framerate that i had with the binaries. also this is probably a stupid thing to bring up but check the drivers to make sure they mesh with your setup.

>> No.372518

>>372462
this

linux binaries are, as a rule, shitty. tarballs are the way to go

>> No.372563

>>372358
Try Mednafen. It is command line driven, but still very easy to use.

>> No.372606

I've never had framerate problems with emulators.

>> No.372626

>>372606
how is that helpful?

>> No.372712

>>372462
I'm going to try that. Binaries are more convenient, but it's worth a little more effort to get this crap running right. I'd love to use bsnes, but even my desktop stutters with it now and then, and it's got things like decent ram and a video card...

>> No.373182

RetroArch

That is all