[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 258 KB, 1920x1080, SoM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3707750 No.3707750 [Reply] [Original]

Why is this game so praised, /vr/?
I had such great memories about it, but I'm replaying it on my 3DS and it just feels... wrong.
The story is shallow, the conversations are stupid, the combat is either frustrating or stupidly easy (you can kill ANY boss by spamming Popoi's magic) and some mechanics are just plain retarded.

Did I become an old bitter guy or this game is just Square's fanwanking?

>> No.3707757

So is Secret of Mana the new autist shitposting target? I find it hard to believe that multiple people woke up in the past week and had the sudden realization that "Wait, Secret of Mana's been shit all along."

I've never played it, maybe it is shit, but you could be a little less blatabt about it all.

>> No.3707765
File: 47 KB, 449x398, owcry.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3707757
I-I don't post here very often. Sorry.

>> No.3707767

>The music is good
>The graphics are good
>It has a real good atmosphere
>You're supposed to play it with 2 players
It's a game you're supposed to chill out with when everything is going alright.

Maybe you're stressed out in life, maybe you're procrastinating, maybe you're trying to escape from your problems, or maybe you started thinking critically about videogames instead of just playing them. If any of those are true you won't enjoy the game.

When you were a kid you didn't have as much that you needed to do with your time, and the things you imagined or wondered about the game and it's world were as important as the game itself. Once you know how the game ends and what it is you can't have that sense of wonder.

>> No.3707813

>>3707765
I felt the same op. Is not what you would expect in terms of story from Square, in my opinion.

Compared with many other games, is top tier, but i don't know, even alttp is more rewarding when it comes to exploration and combat.

>> No.3707814

>>3707765

If it's a genuine mistake I apologize but that's some weird fucking timing

>> No.3707817

I don't agree with any of that. A story does not need to be 2DEEP4U to be good or entertaining, the fighting is fun and the whole game is charming as fuck.

There's always subjective ways to trash retro games for not aging well, but that's more to do with someone's personal taste and their ability to appreciate classic game styles.

In the meantime, stop playing retro RPGs on portable emulators. It's not an engrossing medium.

>> No.3707838

>>3707814
It was.

>>3707817
The story isn't bad, it's just... derp-y.
And no, the combat is trash. The hitboxes are completely messed up. You better have some MP with the sprite if you run into something that flies, because there's no way in hell that you'll be able to hit it with your weapons.

>> No.3707907

>>3707750
2-player real-time combat + JRPG stuff was a rare thing back then. I was a young kid and people just thought it was cool as all heck. Zelda mixed with Final Fantasy is how I remember it being described.

Also, the world is really cute and charming. It has silly, but fun and memorable things like Cannon Travel and what felt like the ability to fly ANYWHERE (not really, of course) with Flammie on the cool Mode 7 map. Yes, the story is definitely derpy, but players have always had basically zero taste when it comes to story in any of these games, so no one cared.

>> No.3707962

>>3707750
good graphics and music, unique style of game back then

nowadays its clunky, buggy, everything needs to be grinded, and combat barely works

Its not bad but its problems are more obvious now

>> No.3708063

>>3707750
>Did I become an old bitter guy or this game is just Square's fanwanking?
Yeah it's fanwanking. It has amazing graphics and sound for the SNES but it's not a very good game, the level designs are really dull, the combat is boring and dumb (you can get hit by bosses when their attacks don't even go anywhere near you), the writing is awful etc.

I grew up playing it and loving the shit out of it but replaying it as an adult i can see it's really not very good.

>> No.3708070

IIRC the story seems weird because huge chunks of the game were cut due to it being unfinished.

>> No.3708217
File: 554 KB, 800x610, d6m0sxn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3707817
This.

The game has a much more... childish sense of wonder to it. The Scorpion Gang with their malfunctioning Kilroy robots, helping Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer save Santa Claus, hell, even the monsters from Rabites to Mushbooms are childish and charming.

It's more The Hobbit than Lord of the Rings. Comfy without the need to be grimdark like most jRPGs that came out on the SNES.