[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 51 KB, 250x421, Seiken_Densetsu_3_Front_Cover[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3698096 No.3698096 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone got any tips before I start properly playing this?
Like what stats to invest points into for each character etc

>> No.3698184

Doesn't matter, shit's easy as fuck. Just play the damn game.

>> No.3698209

>>3698096
What the previous poster said, also:
STR: increases weapon damage, get this!
AGI: Slows down the trap wheel, avoid this stat unless you play as Hawk, in which case you need it to unlock some spells
STA: Increase your HP, get this!
INT: increases spell damage and lowers the damage you take from spells. Maybe get this!
SPI: increases potency of and defense against holy magic. Also boosts some healing items. Maybe get this!
LCK: Lowers the number of traps on the trap wheel. (I usually go for this on one character, and make them the dedicated chest opener.)

Good luck and have fun.

>> No.3698305
File: 123 KB, 660x750, 1468039311116.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The correct party is Kevin, Riesz, Hawkeye.

>> No.3698331

>>3698305
Lel, I chose the other three.

Was going to use Kevin as my main, but I don't like his walking animation

>> No.3698502
File: 530 KB, 1500x1800, 1443610128440.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The game is very easy but it got replay value due to party setup.

The only thing I can recommend you is to pick your second partner based on your main character due to story.

Duran <-> Angela
Hawkeye <-> Riesz
Kevin <-> Charlie

The third member can be anyone you like.

Maybe read ahead regarding class change as well since it affects the overall synergy of your party based on the class of your characters.

>> No.3698536

Never pick Angela as the third character or the game will hang when you use the chibiko hammer.

>> No.3698631

>>3698096
use kevin

>> No.3698665

tfw im working on a website and an article is literally going to be a quickstart info guide for sd3

thanks for valifating me OP. makes me think my idea of some basic info condensed into an article or video is a good idea

>> No.3698747

>>3698536
maybe if youre using zsnes. ive done multiple playthroughs to completion with angela as the third and ive never encountered this bug before.

>> No.3698813

Is the fanmade bug fixing patch worthwhile? Anyone got a link?

>> No.3699521

>>3698665
so is it done yet

>> No.3699523

>>3698096
Easy and boring game, don't care about it.

>> No.3699551

>>3698096
Version 1.00
Most important stat: STR
Second most important stat: VIT

Least important stat: AGI
Second least important stat: LUK

"sin of mana" hack version
still the same, but AGI isn't useless.
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/5567-seiken-densetsu-3-sin-of-mana-discussion/

Both versions have ups and downs. The original game allows to bypass stat limit per class if a character levels up one screen after another character just leveled up, which makes it possible to beat the game as any class possible including the starting classes. The Sin of Mana fixes AGI glitch which improves numerous Duran and Hawk classes, but it also results in unnecessary grind to get class changes.

>> No.3699564

>>3698096
I remember trying to play this game with a friend (because Seiken 2 had co-op and all that shit), while the graphics are gorgeous and the choices of characters would change the scenario (neat thing), the game was so full, but SO FULL with cutscenes that it was almost impossible to play co-op in it, I can imagine having fun with it playing singleplayer, but story-heavy games really don't work well for multiplayer.

>> No.3700403

>>3699521
No. Deaths in the family ruined my potential work time throughout the first half of December, and Christmas is always way more taxing than I give it credit for.

I'll be back at it tomorrow. I may just throw together a temporary site the url is www.recommendedplaying.com

>> No.3700509

>>3699551
>Sin of Mana
Is this the bug fixing patch everyone talks about?
I want to play this game as the developers intended, so no changes for the sake of change.

>> No.3700515

>>3700509
The same guy made a patch with only the bugfixes he used. You'll find it on the same forums somewhere.

>> No.3700518

>>3700515
Oh, and unfortunately the evasion fix is borked.

He won't fix it I'm pretty sure, it was like pulling teeth just to get that patch desu.

>> No.3700526

>>3700509
Now that I'm back at my PC I'll actually answer your questions.

There are a lot of bugs in SD3, many are so minor that you will never notice them (like Evasion being bugged, and only ever using your base, so any +evasion modifiers simply don't work, making all but 1 of Duran's Shields worthless).

There are really weird ones like how if you used a corresponding saber on the mana day (ala Flame Saber on Salamando's Day) you just straight up take more damage for some reason.

For basic game info:
After class changes you get access to level 2 and 3 techs. They are good but often enemies will counter attack with their own level 2 and 3 techs and it can absolutely wipe out your party. You can get 100-0'd by Eruption Sword counters in Dragon's Hole. This also applies to Magic on fights like Bill and Ben and Lugar, which simply renders Angela the worst character in SD3.

You can (and should) absolutely put key items in storage once you no longer need them. This frees up and Inventory space for a useful item (notable ones, Gunpowder, Chibiko Hammer, Piyahara Flute, and Wind Drum).

The black market has amazing items for sale. They have the basic elemental sabers (excluding dark, light, moon and leaf), and various stat ups. They are insanely useful for the most part and make a lot of fights significantly easier/faster.

Stats:
STR - Favor str for every character except angela and carlie
CON - Secondary stat for every character, acts like vitality, and basic defense/hp stats
AGI - Broken, Only get it on Hawk because he needs it to unlock his pretty decent spells
PIE - Spirit/Piety/Fatih stat. Mostly just use it to unlock spells/increase power of carlie's healing
INT - This is basically Angela's damage stat and I think it gives some defense against magic attacks.

I'll talk about classes/parties in my next post

>> No.3700529

>>3700518
So I shouldn't get the patch because it made evasion worse?

Or still get the patch because evasion was always bad and simply wasn't fixed in the first place?

>> No.3700540

>>3700526

Kevin - Fundamentally broken in the best ways possible. Insane damage output on top of being a very beefy character. Straight up highest damaging character in the game, but he's bugged so if he takes damage while in werewolf form he gets an additional attack buff again.

Light class change gets healing magic for some versatility, but the Dark class change gets more attack power. Dark-Dark is his second most powerful physically attacking class and gets access to Moon Saber (vs. Energy Ball, which sucks due to crits not working at all)

Duran - Duran kind of sucks since Dark gets sabers which you can just buy at the black market, and his light class change gets healing spells but his shields are bugged (except fro lords shield, which you probably wont bother getting) so it's kind of a toss up. I usually just go Light-Light since Paladin is his second hardest hitting class and gets Saint Saber which is really useful on Zable Fahr and the final bosses in the game.

Hawk - Second highest melee damage character, and gets access to debuffs in Ninja class change. I've never made a Wanderer so I don't know but Ninja kicks ass because it hits hard and gets enemy debuffs. Dark-Dark class change into Nightblade for the single hardest hitting spell in the game (Deadly Weapon) which does 20% of an enemy's max health.

Lise/Riesz - Slightly weaker physically than duran but gets access to buffs/debuffs. Mostly take her for buffs (light class change) because it takes 4 item slots to get all the stat ups from the black market. One of the better characters

Angela - Angela is a "safe" pick, and she's good on some fights (like Gorva, and Tzenker who fly around) but she's downright worthless in others (anyone who counters). She's probably the worst character in SD3. Her class changes barely make a difference since its increased power on level 1 spells vs. level 2 spells which is so minor it's not even really worth mentioning.
>>3698305

>> No.3700556

>>3700540
Carlie: basic healer, and maybe the only healer you can actually get in the game depending on choices. She's good and she's worth taking especially if you're new as a 3rd. Healing items are dirt cheap because you may never get a healer so it's kind of a non-issue. She gets some good spells and access to sabers/buffs/debuffs, so she's an OK choice.

>Party Compositions

>>3698305
This is the min/maxer party because it basically has the highest damage potential in the game which makes it the fastest for casual runs. It's Dark-Dark Kevin (second highest damage and moon saber), Dark-Dark Hawk (deadly weapon and highest damage), and Dark-Light Lise (for all target buffs). It's just one of the strongest parties, but lack of healing can kind of suck. You -do not- want to go Light on Kevin since healing = not attacking and thats what Kevin needs to be doing.

For reference, the SD3 speedrun party is actually:
>Kevin, Riesz/Lise, and Carlie
Carlie basically for healing in between battles and being dead the rest of the time, Lise for stat ups on Kevin, and Kevin basically soloes the rest of the game. So that's really indicative of how easy SD3 can be.

>Duran-Angela-Carlie
This is essentially the Secret of Mana party. Angela spams spells, Carlie heals, duran attacks. It's not a bad party, but it relies on angela spamming magic which is very slow and boring since unlike SoM in SD3 you can't act while spells are going off. You can sub Duran for Lise and do the All Girl Party too. Not a bad choice for a first timer since you get a sampling of everything and have good utility.

There are minor things to be aware of when making choices. Dark-Dark carlie gets access to Black Curse, which is an all stat down, so if you took Dark-Dark Lise for instance, theres going to be overlap and afaik debuffs don't stack. It's a bit of wasted potential.

>> No.3700601

>>3700540
Using the Paladin class change item in battle casts Saint Saber on everyone, so its not necessary to use that class for those bosses.

I'd say multi heals and the functional shield of Lord are better.

>> No.3700631

>>3700601
How I usually play is I just kill the godbeasts, and then grind to 38 in Pedan and hope I get at least 3 class change items.

I don't usually save scum to get the ones I want either, normally I just take what I get since Sd3 is so easy to beat.

But yes, theres lots of hilarious shit you can do.

Like fighting Koren with Matango Oils on everyone turns him into a total joke.

>> No.3700642
File: 57 KB, 426x600, iceman_1967_1980-img426x600-98934334615.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3700556
Riesz goes Dark on the speed run party, her other purpose aside debuffs is being tanky to soak hits so Kevin doesn't get hit so he can continue to smack things, and to abuse the attack reset glitch with impunity. She CAN do some damage but she's mainly there for support.

SD3 is easy, but they do abuse a good amount of glitches in speedruns, so its not fully indicative of the game's difficulty. Its still arguably harder than most RPG's on SNES, but that says little since most are easy as shit anyway.

>> No.3700671

>>3700529
Don't get the patch it makes bosses unbeatable.

>> No.3700676

>>3700671
I mean the bugfix patch.

>> No.3700682

>>3700526
STR are just as important on Angela and Carlie because otherwise they'll be dealing 1 dmg outside of boss battles which just makes them dead weights.

>> No.3700716

>>3700676
damn, so there are no good patches for this game?
Not the end of the world, since I enjoyed the adventure without noticing the bugs

>> No.3700718

>>3700529
It's the latter - Evasion is borked in the original game and doesn't work.

>> No.3700898

I understand now;

'Sin Of Mana' is the main fan-made patch for this game, created with the aim of improving the difficulty, based on the premise that the original game was badly balanced.

The guy who made it also offers a 'fix-only' patch, which apparently makes the balancing worse.

>> No.3700917

>>3700898
Fans never fix the game fundamentally.

They always do retarded changes because they know the game like the back of their hand so it always turns into this clusterfuck of insane difficulty.

Almost every difficulty patch feels cheap and dirty as opposed to an actual challenge.

>> No.3700965

>>3700898
>The guy who made it also offers a 'fix-only' patch, which apparently makes the balancing worse.
IIRC, this one isn't quite his fault though - like the way Critical Hits were designed such that it doubles the attack stat before defense is deducted rather than the final product like most RPGs do, so they end up doing obscene damage and this wouldn't be a problem in Vanilla because the bug makes them not happen, but once they do...

Now, his changes in his mods is all on him.

>> No.3701313

>>3698096
>Like what stats to invest points into for each character etc
It doesn't matter. Just hold the attack button down to win each battle.

>> No.3701524

>>3698096
Kevin kills everyone.

>> No.3701694

>>3700917
I played the SoM patch, the so-called 1.03 one, what is it with fan version 1.03s that are retarded as fuck? loaded intro, the first battle took 5 minutes because it nerfed the shit out of level 1 tech.

>> No.3701715

>>3700917
>They always do retarded changes because they know the game like the back of their hand so it always turns into this clusterfuck of insane difficulty.
Correct.

>> No.3702102

>>3701694
>>3701715
FFT: 1.03 War of the Gods or whatever is total trash. Completely breaks the balance to the point where you're basically forced to abuse what are essentially glitches with leveling down as bard and then leveling up again as Mime which is absolutely ridiculous.

>> No.3702823

>>3698096
This is one of those games where buffs and debuffs are extremely effective. Absolutely worth them.

>> No.3703014

>>3702823
>cast spell: 400 damage / 1 minute cast
>buff and endow element on normal attack: 350 per hit
Spellcasters are trash in this game

>> No.3703593

Get Kevin
Pump STR

Rest is optional

>> No.3703670

>>3702823
Night market fixes everything.

>> No.3704657

I spammed magic in the first Secret Of Mana, but never touched in this sequel. And I think I enjoyed the game more because of the lack of magic

>> No.3704797

>>3704657
You're basically shoe-horned into magic on most bosses in Secret of Mana because the hitboxes are wonky as fuck and Magic grossly outclasses melee attacks. It made the pace of the game a huge slog because it's just spamming spells.

They turned that on its head in SD3. Physical attacks absolutely demolish magic. It makes the pace of the game a lot faster because outside of healing, you basically do some menu stuff at the beginning (buffs/debuffs) and you just spam attacks for the remainder.

>> No.3705472

>>3698209
Wasn't LCK glitched anyway and did nothing?

Either way, not worth putting points into.

>> No.3705541

>>3705472
So only str and sta are worth?

>> No.3705556

>>3705541
If I remember right, the game only allows a certain amount of points in one stat at a given level. So eventually you'll max those two and then have to spend points at tertiary stats.

>> No.3706225

>>3705556
>>3705541
>>3705472
You get one stat point per level, and it locks you out at certain thresholds. You can't just dump points into STR from 1-18 for instnace.

Classes also have minimum and maximum stats. So once you class change, everything shoots up to the classes minimum which is always higher than the previous class. Its one of the reasons that the first, and second class changes are so powerful. You get a boost to everything, including INT and PIE which most characters usually neglect.

>> No.3706378

just realised i have the v1.00 english patched version. Is v1.01 much better?