[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.34 MB, 1024x600, final_fantasy_white_mage_by_koryu12-d8p1ld3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3678029 No.3678029 [Reply] [Original]

Confess your retro gaming sins to the white mage, that thou might be cleansed.

This can be unpopular opinions or more general confessions.

>I've never beaten a beat-em-up game
>I don't think JRPGs are all bad, but I do think the bad-to-good game ratio is higher in JRPGs than any other subgenre
>Final Fantasy IV is the best game in the series
>I love Secret of Evermore
>most of my retrogaming consists of actually playing through PC games I was too dumb/much of a seven-year-old to beat as a kid

>> No.3678035

i don't like platformers or sidescrolling games

>> No.3678037

>>3678029
It took me over 20 years to sit down and actually play Super Mario Bros 3 from start to finish. I've made it half way dozens of times before that, but I always ended up quitting for some reason.

>> No.3678038

I've always wanted to get into old pc wrpgs but they bore me to tears every time. Too much freedom and no real idea of what to do next. I need to be railroaded like in jrpgs.

>> No.3678041
File: 344 KB, 1500x1015, 1479417786933.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678035
same here

>> No.3678065
File: 124 KB, 400x553, 1470521217856.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Earthbound isy favorite game ever, I actually bought a copy for $200. I don't think it's flawless but I love it.

I struggle to play anything before NES, most of it just seems too primative to enjoy.

I don't get why people think story isn't important. A good game doesn't need a good story but it adds to it.

Same with easy difficulty. Just because a game is easy doesn't make it not worth playing.

Limited continues are shitty. If you are willing to keep trying you should be able to from at least the start of the level.

I want to buy a saturn but I'm afraid I might be to stupid to hack it. I only ever have hacked a psp and 3ds

I think as a whole the /vr/ community is actually pretty good. Obviously we get some shitposts and people trying to start shit but as a board a lot of good on topic discussion is had.

>> No.3678083

I like the Genesis version of vram stokers Dracula....

>> No.3678086 [SPOILER] 
File: 29 KB, 512x192, 1481752131686.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

High quality neo-geo sprite

>> No.3678126
File: 42 KB, 350x312, 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can easily beat SMB1, both quests with no warp zones, but I can't for the life of me manage to finish SMB2 (US) or SMB3. And don't even get me started on fucking Lost Levels

I have NEVER finished a retro JRPG other than Pokemon. The problem is I'll start one, but soon I'll get bored to tears, even with games I played as a kid. Generally what happens is I'll get to some cryptic puzzle that I can't solve, and instead of looking up a guide I'll just pause it and never pick it up again. Even Earthbound of all things couldn't keep me interested, I got up to that part where you explore the pyramid and decided I just didn't care anymore.

My first ever exposure to Donkey Kong Country was the remake (demake?) on Game Boy Color that most people don't even realize exists. Pic related. I played the SNES version, and to my surprise it seems this version is a pretty accurate port for such a tiny screen.

>> No.3678168

I played Panzer Dragoon Saga back at my cousin's house for a while in 1999 and I didn't really care for it. I thought ff7, Xenogears and SotN were all better at the time

Because I moved a lot when I was ages 5-14, I didn't keep any of my boxes for my snes/n64 games. We also had a flood in a condo I was living in and it damaged my copy of Super Mario Allstars to the point where it freezes and deletes save files

I don't really care much for platformer games but Kirby Superstar was one of my favorite non RPG games of all time

I still have my snes, n64, ps1 and all of my equipment sitting in boxes in my basement. When it comes to electronics I am a packrat and made sure to lug them around with me until I got settled in and bought my first house

>> No.3678173

I don't like turn based games

>> No.3678181

>>3678038
This was the best thing about Baldur's Gate.
It feels like a true adventure and you can spend lots of time simply exploring and doing side quests.

>> No.3678186

I've finished very few games in my lifetime. I usually get bored of a game or just stop playing for whatever reason before I beat it.

>> No.3678189

>>3678126
That's a shame. From what I recall, the pyramid is sort of close to the end and is boring compared to what comes after.

>> No.3678210

>>3678186
What you mean you stop playing a game when you're not having fun? That's preposterous.

>> No.3678215

>I use save states because it isn't fun for me to start a game over from the beginning because I died

>I own many retro consoles, all "hacked" but mostly play DDR these days.

>I don't even like most of the music in DDR.

>I love Dragon Quest and also think the jrpg battle system is terrible game design

>I prefer Elemental Gearbolt with a controller to a light gun

>I think modern Indie games can be really really good

>I prefer controllers to arcade sticks

>>3678065
Saturn is easy to hack. Just do swap trick with a burned iso of the custom firmware for your action replay.

I regret doing pseudo saturn, costs exactly the same to get the mod chip, literally one solder joint. I suck at soldering but that's easy.

>> No.3678216
File: 3 KB, 248x224, 20-0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678189
It all comes full circle

>> No.3678225

>>3678210

I know, right? I don't take gaming as seriously as I should.

>> No.3678303

I had to use 'Help Me" to beat Dracula's Curse.

I never got the Goo King Sword in BOF3.

>> No.3678306
File: 140 KB, 1024x768, doom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've never played Doom or Diablo.

>> No.3678310

>>3678306
well when you do, I hope you don't play with those gamma settings.

>> No.3678313

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest has a special place in my heart for being the first rpg I ever played.

>> No.3678319

I find it difficult to care about games that aren't first party Nintendo games, retro or otherwise. The exceptions are almost always closely associated with Nintendo.

>> No.3678372

I never owned a video game console in my life. I still emulate all of them, though.

I don't like platformers or platforming. 3D or 2D.

>> No.3678376

>>3678029
I spend more time on nostalgia and thinking about playing retro games, but when I actually start one, I often lose interest, partially because of my lack of free time and my desire not to spend it all on a game I may or may not even enjoy.

>> No.3678383

>>3678215
I'm not that guy but I was thinking of doing pseudo saturn, now I'm contemplating getting a mod chip instead. I have cerebral palsy and soldering is out of the question but I think I can get a family member to help me.

>> No.3678384

>>3678029
Ive never beaten Link to the Past even though ive attempted a bunch of times, always get bored about 1/3 in.

OoT is just an empty bore of a game

Wind Waker is great and comfy as fuck, enjoyed it a bunch same with Links Awakening.

>> No.3678423
File: 477 KB, 480x270, Segata.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678215
There a good guide you recommend? I have no experience soldiering and really don't want anything involving opening the console up and physically modifying it. Didn't some guy find a way to run the isos on it through usb ir am I thinking of something else?

>> No.3678443

Mario is better with a story.
Zelda is better without one.

>> No.3678472

>>3678423

You have to open up the console and physically tape up one sensor. Then you need an official game disk from your region to do the swap trick. You burn "pseudosaturn kai" to a burned disk.

The timing for the swap is shitty, took me a bunch of times. It's possible to fuck up the spindle, but cd spindles are a common part and you can buy replacements (or steal from any 90's cd player).

Pretty sure there's no saturn option that doesn't involve opening up your console at all. Installing a Rhea is easy but still requires disassembly.

>> No.3678474

>>3678029
I first finished Super Mario Bros 3 in the form of Super Nazi Penis Cartel Freedom Fighters 1337.

>> No.3678497
File: 939 KB, 640x492, Podunk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029
>I love Secret of Evermore
Is that supposed to be a bad thing? I think it's far better than Secret of Mana.

>I thought Terranigma went down the shitter at chapter 3
>I never finished a single classic Castlevania
>I emulate everything because I'm a poorfag

>> No.3678498

>>3678029
I don't like the Metroid series

>> No.3678542

>>3678029
It wasn't until like five years ago that I beat Sonic 2, despite playing it all the time as a kid.
I somehow managed to fuck up installing a Saturn mod chip, and now I have a dead Saturn. I could have bought a new one yesterday, and didn't (instead, I spent like $100 on other shit, fuck me).
I don't like a lot of the big Nintendo games like Zelda or Metroid. I've never liked 3D Mario.
I've never finished a single Mario game, ever.
actually, I've barely finished many games at all, although a large part of that is because many of my favorite games are hard arcade games like RayForce

>>3678472
man, I'm still waiting for that USB loader thing that uses the cart slot
but it'll probably cost like $175 or something anyway when it finally does release

>>3678310
I wish prboom+'s gamma didn't default to max.
and I know that's because it's oriented heavily toward speedrun play, but it's a good sourceport for general use

>> No.3678552

>>3678376
Day of the Tentacle.

You're welcome.

>> No.3678641

I've beaten Final Fantasy Tactics nearly a dozen times, with every configuration of thematic or twinked party members you can think of, but to this day can't for the life of me tell you what the plot consists of past the first two or three chapters.

It's the only RPG that sits highly in my nostalgia list that I don't love for the story. I simply can't follow it, and don't have the free time to marathon the game so it makes sense.

>> No.3678660

I prefer Pac-Man 2 on the Genesis to the SNES.

>> No.3678714

>>3678552
point and click? Sorry man but it looks a little slow

>> No.3678940

>>3678029
I played every FF from I to VI and DQ from I to VII, and i haven't finished a single one. I don't want to grind to finish their respective bosses.

>> No.3678972
File: 7 KB, 250x214, 1479594955510s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029
>never beat Crono Trigger
Forgive me, WHM.
Working on it now when I'm not playing FFXV.
>never beat Planescape:Torment
One of the most immersive games I've ever played.

>> No.3679116

>>3678029
>i didn't play EB until it became an meme game
>it wasn't as bad as haters say

>> No.3679129

>>3678029
Actually bad JRPGs barely exist, it's just how genre works. Maybe some early PS2/PS1 JRPGs were actually bad.

>> No.3679135

When I was a kid I was so fucking bad at games that I was actually afraid of grabbing the controller. What I enjoyed the most was watching my brother play them, because that way I could actually see what happened beyond the first stage. This resulted in me growing up with videogames and yet never having actually played them. I knew all the classics like the back of my hand, and yet, you get the idea.
Then I got my first computer and I started playing on emulators, but with savestates literally every 5 seconds. After every gap jumped, every enemy killed, every turn in an rpg, I'd save in about 4 different slots. Not using savestates was out of the question for me. I would also spend more time reading about videogames on the internet than actually playing. I was like the ultimate secondary.
I did try my hand at non-/vr/ games normally, but those were always easier.
I was pretty much an adult when I decided to man the fuck up and start beating old games with my own power. I've been doing my homework all these years, and with hard work and dedication I've been able to beat many games that my brother could beat when he was like 10. I hope he's proud of me. He passed away sadly.

>> No.3679136

I honestly think Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask are all mediocre game.

My favorite fallout is tactics.

>>3679129
If you ignore the story most JRPGs are at worst generic. If you pay attention to the story 99% of them are awful.

>> No.3679164

>I have never beaten a single Final Fantasy. The closest I've gotten to was III and IV
>I enjoy DQ games a lot more than FF games, but when it comes to DQ vs FF classes, I enjoy FF's more.
>I find NES games to be mostly shit
>I had to use a guide to beat OoT because I never knew where the fuck to go next
>I honestly thought, up until recently, that the SNES had the fewest good titles out of Nintendo's consoles
>I am willing to buy a version of a game I can not read or understand if it means I can get it for cheap because I prefer playing games on their original hardware that much

>> No.3679172

> Self-proclaimed SEGA fanboy but there's honestly not many games I like on the Genesis outside of Sonic, unlike the SNES which has a lot of games I enjoy
> Don't care much for Zelda
> I prefer Columns over Tetris
> I don't care for RPG games sans Pokémon
> Playing C&C Red Alert over system link with 2 TVs and 2 PlayStations is my most memorable multiplayer moment
> I sold an Atari Lynx and a shed load of rare games with their boxes for way less than they're worth and the regret torments me today (despite the fact the Lynx is shit)
> I colllect PowerPC Macintosh computers and love some of the Mac exclusive games, especially Marathon

>> No.3679197 [SPOILER] 
File: 46 KB, 500x599, 1481802997096.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029
I play a game probably once every 6 months, when i own enough games to last me a life time.

I beat a game maybe once every 1.5 years.

I own NES, SNES, PC Engine Duo RX, Dreamcast, Genesis, Saturn, PSX, Nomad, and Gameboy/GBC and the only times I really use them is to test them out to make sure they still work and clean them.

I don't really think I like video games, but the thought of getting rid of these kinda make me sad, maybe i just need to get therapy like i've been told so for the last 5 years

I have more interest in older japanese PCs than anything, but I don't want to emulate, and have trouble getting ahold of one. I also don't even speak japanese.

I've never beaten a single RPG in my life.
Nor have I beaten super mario, zelda, castlevania or any other of the classics. My extent of beaten games are arcadey types like golden axe.

I use original hardware with enhancements only. Probably why I don't play games often, makes my backlog basically till the end of time.

I love the atari, and it's the only console that I think I could play daily, although I don't own one.

I wish I could say I have fun with this

>> No.3679393

>>3679172
> I colllect PowerPC Macintosh computers and love some of the Mac exclusive games, especially Marathon

Fuck yeah dude. I used to have an entire AppleTalk network in my bedroom in highschool. Most of the machines are gone but I still have a Power Mac G5 and a G4 Mac mini (upgraded to a PATA SSD) in storage.

>> No.3679404

>>3679164
>I had to use a guide to beat OoT because I never knew where the fuck to go next

You should have HEY! LOOK! LISTEN!ed more.

>> No.3679447

>>3679197
holy shit

>> No.3679467

>>3679197
Open up an arcade and let other people enjoy your horde, spergmeister.

>> No.3679479
File: 30 KB, 602x531, tmp_27068-0d61582014791.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029
Every single game I ever beat as a child involved a Nintendo Power guide.

>> No.3679491

>>3678126
Glad I am not the only one. I always start a game very excited but then I get bored to death and drop it.

>> No.3679503

>>3678126
>I'll get to some cryptic puzzle that I can't solve, and instead of looking up a guide I'll just pause it and never pick it up again

That's why you break down and look up a guide. Silent Hill's piano puzzle stumped both me and my sister when we first played it together, and it stumped me when I came back to it just a couple of months ago. If I hadn't looked up what the fuck the answer was, I just never would've beaten the damn game.

You look up as much as you need to know, hit yourself on the head for not realizing the answer, and then continue on until it happens again.

>> No.3679517

I don't like finishing games

>> No.3679524

>>3679517
Sounds better than I'm a millennial nufaggot with attention deficit disorder, isn't it?

>> No.3679527

>>3679524
whatever helps you sleep at night

>> No.3679531

>>3678029
I prefer DKC3
I prefer streets of rage1 over 2/3
I have no issue with emulators as long as the game is playable.

I struggle to play old RPGs, I start and get insanely bored very quickly. The only RPG I've ever completed is Illusion of Time.
I can't stand turn based RPGs.

>> No.3679539

>>3679531
>I don't belong here the post
Get out!

>> No.3679552

I use to tank rush with Soviets in Red Alert against my friend, may my sins be forgiven.

>> No.3679583

>>3679531
>The only RPG I've ever completed is Illusion of Time.

not an RPG. it's an action-adventure game where your stats increase.

>> No.3679601

>>3678029
My opinions:
>Legends > Legends 2 > 8 > X5 > X4 > X6
All of them are enjoyable to some degree or another except for X6. I have yet to play Misadventures of Tron Bonne but it looks like fun.

>> No.3679609

>>3679583
Cute but no. It's an action RPG.

>> No.3679656

>>3678029
I HATE Breath of Fire 1 and 2.
I refuse to play FF2 and hated aspects of 3 and 5.
When I was a kid somehow I beat FF4, but recently when I went back to it and got to the damn zombies early on, I found it tedious and gave up.
Fudge you, I quarter-munch shmups to see the ending.
I never got through Super Mario 3.
I HATED the city layout in Quest for Glory 2

>> No.3679657
File: 506 KB, 1279x957, mana.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029
>FFIV is the best game in the series

that's a-ok tho

>I used to use save states when possible in emulators
>I think Secret of Mana is a barely functional videogame and that there's no reason to play it when SD3 exists(love the music tho and I appreciate what they are going for)
>never played through Doom
>I have never beaten a SaGa game besides the original on Game Boy, every other time I try one I get stuck, forget where to go, or some other bullshit(SaGa2 file just upped and died)
>I cheesed the shit out of Tactics Ogre because I literally didn't understand half of the mechanics
>I like Megaman X3 more than X2 even though I know that X2 is probably built better. The highs are higher in X3 and that's what matters most.
>so many retro games are shmups and yet I'm only good at half of them(the original Life Force and R-type are tough, but 1943 is doable)
>I play most retro fighting games with a goddamn keyboard.

>>3678497
>I thought Terranigma went down the shitter at chapter 3

same here. Way too much backtracking and sequence triggery combined with grinding. Still a good game.

>> No.3679701

I think the Mother series is the greatest artistic achievement in video game history.

Chrono Cross >>>> Chrono Trigger

SMW > SM64 > SMB > SMB2US > SMB2J > SMB3 > SMW 2

>>3679531 is right. DKC3 is the best entry in the series.

I'm obsessed with the idea of finding a good looking old CRT and getting flashcarts. I have all my original consoles and got a PVM, but I hate that I can't dial in the PVM to look perfect and I don't want to buy SCART cables, adapters, etc. I like the idea of a blurry old CRT, maybe with kachunka controls, original consoles and flashcarts, but I wonder how often I'd actually sit down and use it. I have a 3DS, Vita, Wii U, and am a sucker for Virtual Console and PS1 Classics. Even though it's emulation it feels official enough, I guess, and it's so fucking easy. But still, I can't help but envy people in the battlestations threads.

Sonic will never be

>> No.3679761

>>3679701
I like you. Find a beautiful fake wood paneled 12-13" TV with turn dials and get a composite to RF converter. I used one all through college (07-11), and I loved it. I even used it for my 360 at the time, in addition to my Famicom. Ultra comfy.

>> No.3679765

>>3679197
Idea: start a youtube channel where you are reluctant to play games but your audience keeps suggesting what you play and gave guests come by to explain why the game should be good but you argue why it isn't as good as they think. It could be like a good cop, bad cop game review thing.
Or maybe sometimes the audience gets to force you to play a game to completion, and you complain about it like MST3000

>> No.3679779

>>3678029

I love final fantasy games. I've played all of them from I to IX. But i've never actually completed one of them because I lose interest before the ending

>> No.3679785

>>3678215
I imagine most people who play ddr don't like the music very much. A lot of it is terrible.

>> No.3679931

>>3678029
I think that Fallout, while being a decent RPG, sucks at postapocalyptic setting

FF stopped being good after FFII

I don't think games need a story, even less a story told through the same old tired cinematic means

I don't like Megaman games too much but while I really like the weapon system and enemy design I think the level design is atrociously bad and mar an otherwise sound concept

Armored Core>>>Mechwarrior

I genuinely believe Diablo is a mediocre game that appeals to compulsive hoarders and graphic whores, Diablo 2 is a bit better though

I think Sega first party games have a better "spirit" and more love put into them than Nintendo's, they just feel more genuine in some way

I almost completely abandoned PC gaming once I got a Playstation and only really took it back up in the early 00's

I think Doom has garbage level design but I will always forgive it for that glorious infighting which is possibly one of the most mindblowing mechanics introduced in videogames as a whole up to this day.
Heretic>Doom by the way.

>> No.3679973

I have never played Smash Bros melee.
I don't like the metroid games.
I don't play RPGs or CRPGS

>> No.3680295

I finished Ninja Gaiden yesterday using savestates at the last two of the three marathon bosses. Fuck starting over from 6-1. At least I beat the first one legit.

I thought the game wasn't that hard, at least before the massive difficulty spike in the last level. I thought the difficulty would be more spread around the levels.

>>3678497
>I never finished a single classic Castlevania
Why? SCV IV and Bloodlines has okay difficulty and they were my first classicvania before eventually I played CV I. They shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

>> No.3680378

I think FF7 is utter shit.

>> No.3680686

I use RetroArch with the default bilinear filter

>> No.3680707
File: 793 KB, 2592x1944, Not_sarcastiball.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029
I actually like non-retro games as much as retro games. (I am hype as fuck for Wild Guns Reloaded and Sonic Mania)

Sports games are pretty fun to me.

Poster >>3679197 is mirror dimension me, aside from beating classics. I wish I had the energy to muster up and play more in my backlog.

Forgive me white mage, but I must return to the stocks with my wageslave punishment.

>> No.3681589

>>3678037
Same here bro, 21 years though. And it's the only console mario I've ever beaten.

>> No.3681592

>>3678041
Me on the right. My gf on the second right.

>> No.3681607

>>3678383
>>3678423
Sorry for super late response.

Yeah the reason I said I wish I had done the mod chip instead is that you have to open up your saturn anyway to tape the sensor, so at that point you might as well just solder the chip in.

I can't remember the Pseudosaturn guide I used. I think it was mainly a video or two on YouTube. I have a model two Saturn so it took a while to get the swap trick working, but once I did it's been working like a charm.

Just search pseudosaturn on YouTube.

It took me a few tries to get the firmware to flash to my action replay as well so be persistent. Try pseudosaturn kai as it has slightly better compatibility.

But again, the mod chip is a better option, cost the same, requires only a little more work, and arguably less tricky. One solder joint is easier than doing the swap trick on a model 2 saturn ime.

>> No.3681613

>>3678029
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT...... I confess... I actually like Treasure games and I just shitpost about it on here because I dont want the millenials to take it away from me

>> No.3681618

>>3679785
A lot of people really love it. My friend that got me into DDR used to listen to the music every day on his iPod.

I'm gonna try Stephanie soon. Hopefully there are some charts that aren't just EDM...

>> No.3681725

>>3678029
I claim to have beaten difficult games to my friends and anons on here, even though I emulate and use save states.

>> No.3681736

>>3681725
My nigger. High five.

>> No.3681743

>>3679765
Not a bad idea, as I try and look at games objectively when I talk about them with friends.

>> No.3681758
File: 1.98 MB, 1178x1530, 1457625730650.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029
I never got into the NES as a kid (born 1985)
I disliked most non-squaresoft RPGs, minus The 7th Saga and Seven Stars
I bought the Tomb Raider games as a kid, but I never really played them and used level jumps when I got stumped
While I paid 150 dollars for Earthbound a few years ago I just cant fully get into it and lost interest around the time Poo left the party and the kids are in some swamp thing and I used a Toucan bird to call dad.
I used Marle and Lucca in my Chrono Trigger team
I too, enjoyed Secret of Evermore multiple times. My recent game I actually leveled all weapon skills as I got the new weapon before moving on
I still cannot break free of Mario, Geno and Peach for a seven stars team. so much shit requires peach's group heals to survive and bowsers damage sucks
I did not understand the Oracle of Ages/Seasons code things and thought I had to have two GBC's to fully complete the games until a month ago
I enjoyed Lufia 1 over Lufia 2 because I would rather common random battles over puzzles anyday
I still can not stop using Tifa in every FF7 playthrough
I never got past the first dungeon in Zelda 2 after multiple attempts and using guides and shit.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was not that bad.

>> No.3681795

I sometimes use save states
I emulate most retro games
I prefer a game with a story I like to games with good/unique combat systems
I feel bad about posting here because I don't like retro games nearly as much as most of the people here, I mostly lurk here because /vg/ is full of circle jerking and /v/ is shit

>> No.3681819

>>3678029
I've never beaten a mainline Mario game.

>> No.3681842

>>3681758
is yuffie in awe of tifas breasts? will tifa breastfeed yuffie?

>> No.3681845

>>3681795
>spoiler
I feel the same way. I wish there was a board that wasn't a daycare nor a retirement center. /vg/ is close but not quite. I hope /v2k/ becomes a thing.

>> No.3681865

>>3681842
>that face
>"awe"
?

>> No.3681868

I used Strategy guides for rpgs because I want the perfect ending and best items right away

Saturn and Playstation combined were all you needed in the 5th gen

Playing any other version of SF 2 besides SSF2X or HSF2 is not worth it

Sega CD would of had a chance if Sega pushed for the capabilities besides FMVs

Sonic 3&K or CD>Sonic 2

Garou = SF 3S

Capcom vs SNK 1 wasn't very good

VF 3 looks ugly as shit today but all Model 2 games have aged flawlessly

not playing the Genesis version of Disney virgin games is a waste of time maybe besides the pc one

Real bout is a good game

>> No.3682016

>>3681868
>i blog on a gook toon image board

>> No.3682034

>>3678126
I've been plating SNES games on ZSNES since 1993 and will probably use it forever.

I still use DOS emulators because I'm poor as fuck and use my most of my PC's processing power to convert JAV's to MP4s.

I'm trying to softmod my Xbox without an memory card or USB adapter and failing.

Trying to softmod without an IDE controller in my PC and failed at softmodding a USB drive because I'm broke.

HELP!

>> No.3682038

>>3682034
>go into ZSNES.cfg
>change percent to execute to 150
Enjoy SNES games with no slowdown.

>> No.3682047

>>3679197
>I love the atari, and it's the only console that I think I could play daily, although I don't own one.

You need a 7800, friend.

>> No.3682319

>>3682047
Does it do AV?

All I really want to play is HERO.

>> No.3682348

>>3678029
>I think all RPGs suck ass
>I mostly play Japan only games
> I hate Final Fantasy in particular
>Ocarina of time is shit
>I like puyo puyo more than tetris
>My favorite game currently is Yokai Douchuuki

>> No.3682475
File: 21 KB, 393x348, Well+i+couldn+t+before+_cb11e8b0cad76d6d974e6e0691acc4a0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3680295
I never use passwords or savestates for these games, so I always restart from the beginning whenever I feel like playing them. Sadly, by the I reach later stages I start losing interest and drop them as soon as I'm sent to the continue screen.

I like bloodlines, but the furthest I got was Stage 5 with Eric, which is pretty much easy mode compared to John Morris.
Got mixed opinions about SCV IV, everybody says it's the easiest classicvania and yet I can't seem to improve at all, the game is fairly easy early on, then it starts throwing bullshit at you (I hate that one rotating room with medusas by stage 4 or so), at least the music is good I guess.

>> No.3682489

I am only just now realizing that Ocarina of Time is just a 3D reimagining of Link to the Past

>> No.3682505

>>3678029
>I emulate

>> No.3682507

I think I have adult adhd or something. I don't even have patience for JRPGs I've already completed in the past anymore and I want to get into cRPGs badly.

Sucks, I might just jump in head first on a crpg title and see if my suspicions are true.

>> No.3682519

>>3682507
Stress from life could possibly be keeping you from focusing on the game and enjoying them. I used to feel like I had no time to play games because I always felt like I should be using my time more wisely on something else.

>> No.3682534

>>3678306
I always wondered what the gamma settings in games meant. I can't see gamma radiation.

I still don't know because I don't feel like looking it up.

>> No.3682549

I enjoy Streets of Rage 3 more than SoR1-2.

>> No.3682636
File: 5 KB, 640x480, out-of-this-world_8.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have been playing out of this world since 1998, and have yet to beat it. I am too proud to read any walkthroughs or watch Youtube videos about it.

I may die without having beaten it, but holy shit every little thing I figure out on my own, I can't really explain the elation i feel.

>> No.3682650

>>3681845
lmao retirement center?!?

>> No.3683172
File: 31 KB, 600x330, MysteryMen_37.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3682348

I absolve you of all sins, friend.

>> No.3683193

>>3682636
It's called Another World, and you haven't beaten it since 98? Jesus

>> No.3683220

>>3683193
the SNES port of Another World is known as Out of this World.

that's a personal favorite of mine, I've always been a sucker for atmosphere.

the puzzles are pretty difficult, but wow @ not beating it since 98.

>>3682636
how far have you gotten on your own? the caves? the complex after the waterfall? the arena?

>> No.3683265
File: 100 KB, 520x390, 2__8hT2XUIJg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029
I can beat fireman and bombman without special shots but I can't get past the plataform from the very begin of gutsman stage. And I can't pass iceman and elecman stage because of this, I need the gutsman shot.

What's wrong with me.

>> No.3683376

I've beaten pretty much every game I've ever wanted to beat (at over 1000 games beaten either physically or through emulation). I'm at the point now where I have to actively search for games to care about, and it's getting increasingly difficult. At this point I'm just curating my collection with a monthly dusting and playing a few daily things in iOS games to keep up a routine of playing games.

I still love games, and love playing/reading/watching them. My friend says that whenever I get a new game I just quickly consume it and move on, and never really thought of it as a problem until recently. I guess I just have too much time on my hands.

>> No.3683508

>>3683265
>I can't get past the plataform from the very begin of gutsman stage.

It's really not that hard.

>> No.3683635
File: 32 KB, 400x355, CONFESSION_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029
ok father...

i smashed super mario world to bits with a hammer after i finished it, it came bundled with the super nintendo in 92, fucking hate mario, no regrets

- i sold my copy of windjammers aes mid nineties'ish, much regrets

- sold usa MUSHA TWICE mid nineties'ish, extreme regrets still haunting me to this day

- i played rolo to the rescue on the megadrive, and i actually LIKED it

Thats all father.

>> No.3683641

I'm a reseller

and I post here every day

>> No.3683651

>>3682348
thats because puyo IS better than tetris, DURR

>> No.3683653
File: 120 KB, 1280x720, 1456310442905.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3682519
yeah life and shit in general is well...shit, so that's probably where the intrusive thoughts keep me from focusing and enjoying gaming anymore.

>> No.3683663

>>3683265
I can't get past the plataform from the very begin of gutsman stage.
magnet beam

>> No.3683669
File: 187 KB, 475x389, 1481446567750.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3683635
>i smashed super mario world to bits with a hammer after i finished it, it came bundled with the super nintendo in 92, fucking hate mario, no regrets
but why

>> No.3683683

>>3682348
>I've beaten pretty much every game I've ever wanted to beat (at over 1000 games beaten either physically or through emulation)
If some of those were arcade games and you just creditfed thru them, you didn't really "beat" them.

>> No.3683835

>>3678029
I don't understand how people can play Fire Emblem: Geneology of the Holy War without save states. The chapters are so long, and having to restart the entire thing when you fuck up or get unlucky once is way too discouraging.

>> No.3683849

i blew into all my cartridges
it worked

>> No.3683851

OP your biggest retro gaming sin is referring to the Light RPG genre as JRPG

>> No.3683863

I have never completed a game of note.

Come up with any game you think people ought to play, and I'll tell you how much of it I haven't played.

>> No.3683864

>>3683851
>this meme again

>> No.3683879

>>3683635
>i smashed super mario world to bits with a hammer after i finished it, it came bundled with the super nintendo in 92, fucking hate mario, no regrets
Found the spoiled autistic kid

>> No.3683904

>>3683864

>he thinks all light rpgs are jrpgs

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>> No.3684094

>I've never beaten a beat-em-up game

Play Battletoads & Double Dragon on SNES or Final Fight 3, very easy games

>> No.3684207
File: 892 KB, 2560x1600, Screenshot_2016-12-17-17-55-44.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3683220

I'm right around here. I can manage to kill the guy up there, and go down the tube to disable the electrical conduit of whatever, but then I get stuck.

I'll get it eventually. I just gotta git gud.

I was stuck at the "guy behing 3 walls and a laser shield" bit for about 13 years.

>> No.3684215

>>3684207

meant to quote >>3683220

I'm sure it's something retarded simple that I'm overlooking. Here's to the next 20 years.

>> No.3684718

>>3684207
I should've guessed. that's one of the hardest puzzles in the game. I got stuck on that part too, until I picked up on a subtle clue.

OotW definitely throws curveballs at you. if you can get past the current puzzle, you'll probably make it to the end by next year.

>> No.3684852

The only console I ever owned myself before was a GameCube. I've played the majority of the retro games I love through 3ds eshop. And some rpgs through emulator

>> No.3684975

I love 5th gen 3D.

I can't stand NES games, their are too primitive for me (except Nintendo World Cup) and like the SNES Ports of the Mario Bros. better than the originals.

Mega Man is boring.

The Smash Bros. series is retarded and think it's even more retarded that there is a tournament scene around such an annoying and twitchy fail of a party game.

I only collect N64 stuff CiB.

FF7 is overrated and cringy. Its fans are even cringier.

I never played Ridge Racer up until i picked up a copy of RR3D earlier this year.

3D Zelda > 2D Zelda, OoT > ALttP,

JRPGs are boring in general and completely overrated. Sports games are fun.

F-Zero X is better than GX, and its graphics look nice.

I played SF64, F-Zero X and OoT so many times i could probably recreate these games from memory.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy but I think the XBox 360 is the best console to date, it offers/ed something for absolutely everybody. The controller is the best one so far, too. Even better than Nintendo Controllers.

The N64 is the best retro console, just because that's what I had as a kid.

I still think the 3-prong design of the N64 controller was an innovative idea.

Dual Shock controllers are shit. Way too small, uncomfortable stick placement, and they feel squeaky and cheap.

I play retro on a videscreen hd tv, no regrets.

I have at least 2 fighting games for every console I own, I like playing them, but I suck royally.

Never owned a Sega console, the only Sega games in my collection are either on Gamecube or PS2 (most of them are great though).

PAL never bothered me and I enjoy all my PAL games.

I firmly believe that most of /vr/ are poorfags who only "like" retro because that is all they can afford (ie. all they can run/emulate on they >5yo toasters).

>> No.3685262

>>3678029

I hate Earthbound and Super Mario RPG.

I Hate Pokemon.

I don't like action RPG's.

I prefer Quake over Doom.

I prefer Sonic over Mario.

>> No.3685372 [SPOILER] 
File: 72 KB, 1024x960, 1482086009767.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I can't stand the idea of buying and collecting old consoles and games when you can download and run almost everything on a $150 laptop or even a smartphone

>I save state sometimes

>I think filters help SOME (not all of them) look better, like they are an indie game made this year

>> No.3685383 [DELETED] 

>>3684975
>nes games
>primitive

Ur mom is primitive

>> No.3685386 [DELETED] 

>>3684975
>he doesnt like smash bros
Shitter detected

>> No.3685387
File: 193 KB, 619x597, 1442241731368.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3685372

>> No.3685391 [DELETED] 
File: 476 KB, 574x413, 1481157449002.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3684975
>he plays on a widescreen hdtv
Gtfo

>> No.3685403

Despite loving the series, I have never beaten a Final Fantasy other than XIII-2, Dissidia, and Crisis Core.

Same with Dragon Quest, except I haven't beaten any of them.

A friend got me FF7 on Steam last year, and I only just got Red XII

I never beat Donkey Kong 64 as a kid because I didn't understand how the final level worked

I want to stream vidya

>> No.3685407

>>3685403
>I never beat Donkey Kong 64 as a kid because I didn't understand how the final level worked
the fight against k. rool?
I honestly don't understand.

>> No.3685412

>>3685407
Nah, the whole thing before that. You had to go thru the level while a timer was going down or something like that.

As a kid I didn't know you needed the blueprints to prolong the timer, so I didn't have anywhere near enough time to get thru it.

>> No.3685440
File: 309 KB, 1181x1748, 12b3d3d68a5fef4fe10d8d93419770bb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029

I think Ikaruga is actually pretty neat. It just got way overhyped and now is basically the go-to shmup to name by people that don't actually know the genre.

I really like the white/black polarity gimmick, it reminds me of Silhouette Mirage but without the dumb forces-what-direction-you-can-shoot-in thing.

>> No.3685441

>>3678037
>>3681589

Even though I played most Mario games on console I only beat SMB1 and Super Mario World on a NES and a SNES respectively.

>> No.3685449

I feel that Super Mario Bros 1 & Lost Levels are still the pinnacle of platforming, even considering all the others out on the market.

>> No.3685450

>>3679785
DDR Extreme is my favorite

>Calico Cat Rock
>Pink Rose
>White Lovers
>Dam Dariram
>CRASH
>I DO I DO I DO
>Across the Nightmare
>Little Bitch
>Rhythm and Police
>Cartoon Heroes

Later installments probably focused too much on tryhard EDM tracks, but Extreme has songs that are fun to dance to. The 2014 DDR at GameWorks has Vanilla Ice and 30 other tracks that may as well not exist

>>3678029
I never beat PSO Ep. II

>> No.3685462

>>3685386
>he likes smash bros
Autist detected

>> No.3685521

>>3685262
>I prefer Sonic over Mario.
I honestly believe this as well.

>> No.3685643

>>3685440
Ikaruga is an example of an accessible game in a (now) non-accessible genre. People who don't play many shmups dig it, and the presentation is super clean and simple. People who really like shmups do often seem to like it, but don't think it's the best, are tired of hearing it talked about, and want to talk about more obscure games.

Hardcore shmup fans are really interesting in how they approach their genre. You get strong opinions about weapon selections, vertical vs. horizontal, what winning means, how console versions stack up, etc. They kind of remind me of metalheads who can quibble about which exact hyper-specific subgenre an artist fits into. I feel like, as /vr/ is to /v/, hardcore shmup fans are to /vr/. They're a more embedded level of fandom.

Maybe shmup fans are more vertical-thinking about their genre than other people are about theirs because shmups reward and are geared for extremely high level play. It's similar to DDR and the Stepmania scene, where I know people who'd don't really play many games except Stepmania, and they play it unbearably well. When you click with a game that rewards perfect combos and 1cc play there's incentive to keep upping your skill and to learn a game more completely.

A more contemporary reflection of that might be Speedrunning. The difference between 100 hours on one game and 100 hours on 20 games is a pretty profound division point between players and between genres. I don't imagine many shmups fans are quarter-feeding 50 different games. Usually they stick with a game for longer, beating it dozens of times, with a more open ended goal of improved play. That's insanely different from sitting down and playing FFVI for 40 hours. Even if they take the same amount of time, qualitatively the experience is super different, and it makes sense that it would attract different kinds of fans, and that the fans willing to spend 100 hours playing a 45 minute game would be a little more obsessed/rabid/intense.

>> No.3685683
File: 148 KB, 640x480, 5456735756574574537.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3678029

I prefer Heretic, Hexen: beyond Heretic and Hexen 2 over Doom and Quake.

>> No.3685903

>>3685643
>Maybe shmup fans are more vertical-thinking about their genre
ironic, when you think about it

>> No.3685960

>>3683851
>>3683864
>>3683904
I don't know what's going on here. I know what "light RPG" means in terms of tabletop RPGs, but not video games. Someone mind filling me in?

>> No.3686012

Never enjoyed an old school Square RPG, unless you count Final Fantasy Tactics.

>> No.3686017

My favorite games almost always involve a light gun

>> No.3686020

>>3685683
>No oxford comma
opinion discarded

>> No.3686051

>>3685643
Now explain why they hate CAVE.

>> No.3686323

Mega Man X6 is the best X game

>> No.3686420

>>3678313
Nothing wrong with that. The music in that game is sick.

>> No.3686452

>I've never played a single PSX game, because I never had a PSX
>I've never beaten a Castlevania game
>I don't like turn-based games because getting hit is frustrating in any game and there's no way around it

>> No.3686459

>>3678029
I only can finish The 7th Saga with a Game Genie and using the rez trick for rival fights

>> No.3686551

>>3678029
I'm incredibly bad at Metroid games even though I enjoy them. I have never completed any Metroid game.

>> No.3686578

>Only beaten most Castlevania games with cheats

>Most retro games i beat are with cheats

though i do play most of the time without but to beat it, i cheat it

>Don't like most JRPGs too much grinding.
>Do like Pokemon from childhood

>> No.3686584

Didn't really care much about Retro games until the Wii Virtual Console became a thing.

I sort of snubbed anything that wasn't Mario, Mario spinoffs, or a licensed game based on a cartoon or movie I liked, and this probably kept up until late 5th gen or early 6th gen. ( to be fair I was only allowed 2 games per year if I was lucky so I always picked what I knew best )

I feel like I missed out by not experiencing these games at the time of their release, but I still feel like most of the popular retro titles are better than their modern counterparts.

>> No.3687749

>>3678038
Same. It's kinda overwhelming. So what I do instead is set goals that lead up to a bigger thing. I do it with later games like Skyrim and it worked out fine for me so far, which still has that openness to it even if it's a foot deep.

>> No.3687843

>>3678035
literally the best games. what do you like?

>> No.3687852

>>3678306
i've played shit tonne of diablo, and then this year i played d2 and almost cryed how fucking boring and awful it is. you're not missing out.

doom on the other side, still perfect.

>> No.3687858

>>3679197
are you me and every other person older then 18 lol.

>> No.3687904
File: 47 KB, 323x362, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was legitimately addicted to Power Stone 2 for about a year.

I hated FFVIII because it wasn't FFVII.

Got stuck at the glass tube.

Got stuck at the carnival drum.

I like Nintendo, but can't really like people who REALLY like Nintendo.

I think Streets of Rage gets pretty boring after the first few levels.

I find live orchestrated concerts of retro game soundtracks kinda cringy.

I think Red Alert 2 is one of the best games ever made.

>> No.3687917

I sold my copy of Contra III: The Alien Wars because I conditioned myself to hate the top-down parts because AVGN hates them

This was a year and a half ago and I still fucking hate myself. It calms me down knowing that whoever bought it from me deserved it more

>> No.3688206

My first console was the ps1 I never played a video game before ever. my deadbeat dad got one "on the cheap" it was defected and couldnt read memory cards he never told me so I always had to restart my games. I hated this but my 7 year old mind thought "all videogames must be like this ! " I now have a deep hatred for opening cutscenes or long tutorials and now always skip them if I can

>> No.3688251
File: 34 KB, 172x166, sanic_wry.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3685643
>Ikaruga is an example of an accessible game in a (now) non-accessible genre. People who don't play many shmups dig it, and the presentation is super clean and simple. People who really like shmups do often seem to like it, but don't think it's the best, are tired of hearing it talked about, and want to talk about more obscure games.

While Ikaruga is great... it ain't no Blazing Lasers.

...and it sure as hell ain't MUSHA aka the best top down shooter ever made.

Anyhoo

1. Never beat a Sonic game. I personally don't really enjoy them. I never "got" it I guess? Sonic's thing is speed but going fast in a classic Sonic game just runs you into walls or enemies. Sort of kills the buzz.

2. I like to see pixels so I emulate on a flat panel widescreen. I hate scanlines. I want the raw output. Give me the all the pixels!

3. I liked the N64 more than the playstation and saturn... though this is mostly because the N64 is more platformer based... and most PSX action games control like shit. Cheers, Twisted Metal 2.

4. I can't play a JRPG without investing myself in the story. So basically, I don't play JRPG games. I beat FFIV, that's about as into it as I got as a kid. I do dig SMRPG, but that's mostly because it's hilarious.

5. I've never played Diablo or any of the mid-90's dungeon-based games. I've never really had an interest in Fallout either.

6. Now that I'm older, I care less about long playthroughs and storylines. I haven't played anything that isn't a top down shooter or a storyless platformer in years.

>> No.3688254

>>3688251
>2. I like to see pixels so I emulate on a flat panel widescreen. I hate scanlines. I want the raw output. Give me the all the pixels!

I gazed upon you, and knew that you were my nigger. Let us frolick into the night and engage in fellow African activities.

>> No.3688308

>Love RPGs. Favorite parts are exploring both the world and dungeons, and wandering around towns.
>Reasons above is part of the reason I liked BoF1 over 2, haven't played 3 or 4 yet.
>I fucking loved FF3J, but it's a little too easy. It blows my mind when people say it's hard.
>I've hated DQ ever since 8, even though it used to be one of my favorite series. I've got VI (out of 1-7) left as the only one I haven't played to finish, and I don't want to.
>Puzzles in games drive me crazy. Lost all interest in Zelda after the GB entry, only really enjoy the NES ones.
>Love shmups, but I suck at them.
>Dragon WARRIOR 4+7 are my favorite JRPGs, if not my favorite games of all time.
>Might be nostalgia talking, but MK3-Trilogy still wow me to this day art wise and music wise.
>I always have problems with Rare games. Could be that I just suck at platformers, though.

>> No.3688351

>>3688251
>Sonic's thing is speed but going fast in a classic Sonic game just runs you into walls or enemies. Sort of kills the buzz.

The first one is meant to be played more like a traditional platformer.

Sonic 3 is more of a 'hold right and go really fast with almost no enemies in your path' style game. Unfortunately the game is also balls-easy because of this. But the fans seem to love it.

Sonic 2 is a hybrid of the two.

>> No.3688846

>>3688251
>6. Now that I'm older, I care less about long playthroughs and storylines. I haven't played anything that isn't a top down shooter or a storyless platformer in years.

+1, can't imagine reading more then a few lines of text or god forbid to sit through a cutscene. when either of these things come on i just mash buttons hoping it will go away as quickly as possible.

>> No.3688849

>>3688308
>Love shmups, but I suck at them.
hello fellow burden holder. :-(

>> No.3688985

I've had a Nintendo 64 for years and only have three games for it. Meanwhile my Playstation collection is over 50+ games.

>> No.3689921

>I think Metal Gear Solid is overrated and shit
>I have never beaten a Final Fantasy Game.
>I think Super Castlevania 4 is a bad game.

>> No.3689928

>>3689921
Do you, by chance, live in Australia?

>> No.3689935

>>3689928
Canada actually

>> No.3689943

For years I said Chrono Cross and FF9 were some of the greatest of their genre. I had never finished them, and when I finally did as an adult, I realized that the mediocre and underwhelming endings overshadowed the good parts of those games. I don't think they're that great anymore.

>> No.3689964
File: 392 KB, 1259x813, 1455047329280.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've never beat an rpg without walkthroughs.

>> No.3689982

I find it impossible to play a classic jrpg without using a guide, most notably the 8 bit Final Fantasy games. It's not that they're too difficult to beat without a guide, I just can't stand the idea that I could be missing an important item or optional thing.

>> No.3690430

>>3689982
that's why i never play them. i can't stand the idea of missing something but i also can't stand the idea of using a walkthrough.

>> No.3691480

>>3678029
I think Super Aleste is superior to M.U.S.H.A.