[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 222 KB, 600x360, indies.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3674246 No.3674246 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /vr/ I have a bit of an unusual question for y'all.

Would it be possible to create my own game that would actually play on a real NES console?

There's obviously been a recent influx of indie games forcing a "retro" aesthetic and/or soundtrack. But I've found that none of these games have any real game behind them beyond one or two gimmicks. So I'm inspired to make my own and try my best to do it right. I know any ol chump can make a game but is it possible to essentially make it the same way that developers did for the NES back in the day? I don't even know what kind of programs or machines they used, let alone what a modern equivalent would be or if it could ever be compatible with the original hardware.

>> No.3674254

Possible yes. Are you learning to take the time and effort...learn 6502 assembly, compose the music with 4 channels and draw graphics?

>> No.3674259

Yes of course and there are numerous homebrew games for NES. You don't even need any initial investment to do it everything can be emulated. You just have to learn assembler language aka low level machine code and familiarize yourself with the NES's unique hardware, literally learn to speak to it in its own language.

If you just want to make your own dumb game as a little project though you can take some other game, classic or obscure and romhack it. Changing the sprites into ones you drew yourself is a project you could learn to do in a weekend. That could lead you to hacking it up and making the levels different and so on.

Not as fast as just studying it like a textbook but probably more like the fun step-by-step process you're probably visualizing.

>> No.3674270

>>3674246
Yes it is possible.
No, you're not gonna do it because it takes a tremendous amount of effort and you don't even know the fundamentals, you're just a regular guy with an impulse thought and will probably forget about this in a couple days or a week tops.

>> No.3674275
File: 17 KB, 383x336, 1443809529080.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3674254
Yes! I got the idea by listening to various games' music in emulators and turning on/off sound channels. I know several artists that would be perfect for what I want to do.

>>3674259
Due to autism I love to pick things apart and see how the pieces work. In my years of vidya obsession I've already done a bit of learning the hardware basics but haven't touched coding yet.

>>3674270
Had my idea for a year and half now. I've taught myself complex systems before and don't see why I can't tackle video games themselves now.