[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 93 KB, 450x249, Final_Fantasy_V_Box_JAP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3670472 No.3670472 [Reply] [Original]

Yeah this is a fun neat story and I like the characters but actually I prefer the set in stone classes from regular ff games. Idk if I'm unimaginative or lazy or whatever but the tons of jobs means you can break the game if you want and characters don't have a "solid" feel to how they work. But it's still a good game and I enjoy it around as much as 4. I don't know if I'll play 6 right afterwards but it also looks fun.

>> No.3670480

Oh also I guess to not make this just a blog post do you prefer ff or dq

>> No.3670487

>>3670472
>I dont know what the Catalogue is: The Post.

Theres already a FFV thread...

>> No.3670491

>>3670487
That thread was just a job discussion I thought

>> No.3670492

>>3670472
>>3670480
FFV is often liked for its freedom in gameplay and more lighthearted story. I suppose you can say its the "hipster" FF similar to how VI was for a bit, "kinda ignored but now seen as a cult classic".

As for your question DQ. I've never been able to actually get myself to finish a FF but I loved and beat every DQ I played. DQ seems to have a more consistent quality, at least in my opinion.

>> No.3670506

>>3670492
Dragon Quest is really fun but I get burnt out if I play one soon after finishing another just because of how simple the stories are. I hear 5 has a better one than average though

>> No.3670708

>>3670472
Yes, it's possible to twink the shit out of your characters and build a cookie cutter party progression that just wrecks, but it's also possible to have fun making party configurations that work great and are really fun to play out.

Because of the party building mechanics, the grind is far more fun than in other FF titles, similar to FFT.

>>3670480
I just recently played through DQI-V for the first time ever, and I feel like I have a pretty good opinion on how the first 6 games from each series compare. I like both for different reasons.

First off, the FF series worked mostly on honing storytelling and narration as it went, while trying different takes at the RPG mechanics of gameplay with each installment some were good, some were buggy, some were just badly done. Meanwhile DQ games honed their RPG mechanics as they went and only started paying attention to story and pacing around DQIV. Up until here, NPC dialog was vague and lacked any character, with no narrative. V stepped it up even more.

Secondly, the early FF games always drop you into a larger than life story that snowballs and eventually unravels, with a mostly linear quest full of 'aha!' moments. DQ games tend to prefer down to earth overarching story with sandbox style quest progressions that reward you for talking to every single NPC you can find. FF subplots also play out like they're specifically put there to further the main plot, while DQ subplots feel like self contained episodes of a Saturday morning cartoon that loosely shuffle the main plot along. (By DQV/FFVI they both had this figured out so that subplots were self contained and furthered the plot in a cohesive manner.)

Which do I prefer overall? Probably FF games. DQ games are better in more ways that should really count, but I honestly can't get over how clunky they feel compared to FF games. For how much fun the games are, DQ's menu system is the tank controls of RPGs.

>> No.3670712

>>3670472

> I prefer the set in stone classes from regular ff games

I agree

>characters don't have a "solid" feel to how they work

Yep

>But it's still a good game and I enjoy it around as much as 4

I prefer IV for its better story, music and characters.

>> No.3670723

I agree with OP
I prefer 4 or 6
4 being my favorite and first FF i beat

>> No.3670904

>>3670472
I wish V handled its job system the same way XIII handled its own. Certain characters would have an affinity for certain jobs. You can can still make them equip those jobs but mastering them will take forever.

I try to mimic this on my playthroughs by giving each character their own job pool that doesn't overlap too much. Support magic for Lenna, offensive magic for Galuf, all-rounder with a kind of blitzmage spin for Faris: ninja, red mage, thief. For Bartz I go with a magic knight, all-rounder tank kind of thing: blue mage, knight, magic knight, etc. I try to do the same in FFVI.

It's up to you if you want to min-max the game or have some fun with it. I like doing both depending on my playthrough.

>> No.3670916

>>3670506
>Dragon Quest is really fun but I get burnt out if I play one soon after finishing another just because of how simple the stories are.
I hear that. I just get really burnt out on the grinding, especially, and often take a couple years between playing another game in the series just due to how serious the burn out is.

I can probably start a new FF every few months or so, so I'd say it has one up there. Having different mechanics for different games does make it ultimately quite diverse and enjoyable, if not always tremendously satisfying.

>> No.3672697
File: 27 KB, 600x266, ExDeath.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Cower before the bringer of the void, /vr!

>> No.3675238

>>3670916
The DQ grind gets to me too.