[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 52 KB, 510x421, link02-The_Legend_of_Zelda_NES_48351_640screen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
366761 No.366761 [Reply] [Original]

I don't understand this game. When you start it up, it gives you absolutely no indication of where to go. I understand that part of the appeal is being dropped into this world, and having to discover things on your own. But the game just seems so cryptic and hard to figure out that it's not fun. It's the kind of game that leaves you wandering around for hours wondering what to do.

How did people play through this, when it came out? I just don't understand game design choices like this. Sure, the game gives you some hints, but only for a few parts of the game.

Experiences with Zelda 1? When you first started it up, what did you do?

>> No.366786

Since I have concience I knew how to play this game, wasn´t that good at it (eventually got better, but haven´t beat it). Really you have a point, it doen´t tell you anything, the booklet does, I guess that was my first clue, look for dungeons, kill Ganon

>> No.366805

>>366761
I don't know dude but I had no trouble getting up to level 5 by the time I was 4 years old. I think I had beaten the game with no internet or anything by the time I was 8.

>> No.366810

I played this without the booklet after getting it years after it was released.
As long as you get the sword on the first screen, you're good to go exploring. I eventually made a map on graph paper about what was where, and that was a good bit of the fun for me.

Exploring, Adventuring, making my own map made me feel like I was more in the game. I'm going through LoZ2 now, and it's like the first time I played LoZ1. Not knowing where to go, just exploring and figuring things out on my own. Just my 2 rupees.

>> No.366815

I just explored, at some point I drew a map of the world on a sheet of printer paper cause I kept getting lost in the overworld. I didnt think it was overly cryptic or anything, just by wondering around anywhere were I hadnt been yet I managed to find everything and beat it.

>> No.366829

At least it's easier than Majora's Mask

That shit is impossible to figure out

>> No.366852

The instruction manual basically tells you how to start and tells you where the first 2 dungeons are. Most NES games have rather detailed instruction manuals compared to the nearly worthless scraps of paper that pass for modern day manuals. I recommend you look up the instruction manual online as well as any other in box maps/papers/etc.

>> No.366872
File: 36 KB, 346x500, $T2eC16J,!)EE9s2ufV-wBRR4gPGCpQ~~60_12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes, the game came with a helpful manual and a (partially completed) map, giving little hints to help stuck players. You can still survive without them, but you can probably find them somewhere on eBay or scans online.

As for how do you play the game, just keep exploring. The map is not too big, so it really is impossible not to make SOME progress by exploring alone.

And I personally felt that the number of hints given is sufficient. The gameplay is fairly simple, so when you learn a new action that reveals a path, the chances are that you're going to be able to use that approach again, so I was able to go through the game reasonably well once I got into it.

Also, each game screen has AT MOST one cave that can be revealed by bombing, if I recall. Saves you a lot of time.

>> No.366914

The instruction manual straight up tells you how to get to the first dungeon. Literally gives you step by step directions. It also points out the location of the second dungeon.

Pretty sure the map that came with it points out a few more, but I could be wrong about that.

>> No.366924 [SPOILER] 
File: 2 KB, 256x224, usefire[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>366872

>> No.366926

>>366761
> It's the kind of game that leaves you wandering around for hours wondering what to do.

That's the point. You wander around exploring. Back then games were less about getting to the end and more about playing it, the only reason there was an end at all is because the content had to end eventually.

>> No.366948

Are there any secrets in this game that are completely hidden? That is, no hints at all in the game anywhere? Pretty sure there was always a hint given to you about the location of the next dungeon. Usually in a dungeon, there was a room where an old man gave you a hint.

>> No.366964

There was a partial map in the instruction booklet and detailled directions to the first dungeon, it helped getting used to the game I guess.

>> No.366954
File: 15 KB, 334x380, normal_z1-54-backcover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't understand what OP is trying to get in responses when he keeps saying he doesn't understand so many times, I don't understand.

Also, 100 bucks said OP just downloaded a rom and tried playing it. Without looking at the map, instruction booklet and everything else that came with the game.

I just don't understand.

>> No.366963

what makes it easier is that the game tells you which level you're in....so the first dungeon is labeled "level 1", etc. this way you dont do them out of order. though you can if you want to, but you cant do them all out of order

>> No.366984

>>366810
I wish someone would make a game like Zelda 1, but with modern technology. Like Elder Scrolls with good combat. I just want a game I can jump into and explore without having to worry about a quest marker, or linear goals, or some guy who jumps in front of me and won't let me through a gate until I've advanced the story (coughocarina)

>> No.366993

Please understand, what you must understand is the understanding of games was limited back then. Since then the understanding has grown but you must understand that this involved much misunderstanding. Please be understanding when trying to understand.

This is why every Zelda game is on rails with a helper that never shuts up

>> No.366996

>>366954
Seriously, kids today download great games and harshly criticize them so they can be "le james nintendo nerd."

>download Mario
>die in the first pit
>THIS GAME IS BUFFALO DIAHRREA DICKJUICE COMING OUT OF MY BELLYBUTTON

>> No.367019

>>366948
Only if you don't consider "you can set fire to trees to find paths" a hint. You actually need to in order to progress, and I think the manual tell you you can. So yeah, just set fire to every tree in the game and you'll be fine.

>> No.367026

>>366761
You're probably using an emulator, meaning you don't have the original map. To get around that, install this:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/796/
It's not perfect, but it at least keeps you from walking in circles for two hours.

>> No.367045
File: 421 KB, 796x559, uy43bn65.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've actually just started playing this game to finish it unlike before where I quit, but goddamn I beat 3 dungeons and I have no idea where to go or what to do. I've been all over this map and looking for clues of what to do. I grinded so much money I have the blue ring and shield already, I have nothing else to shoot for unless I want to buy more keys.

This game is good mechanics wise, but I hate being this stuck. I've given the old lady a paper that a man gave me, she gave me a potion, and that's as far as I've gotten with finding something new since the last dungeon.

I'm ready to give up again and play LTTP again instead.

>> No.367063

Zelda 1 has quite a few tricks that once you learn make exploring a cakewalk.

There can only be one cave/staircase per screen. If you have already uncovered a cave on one screen than don't bother bombing walls or burning bushes
The pushable block is always the left and center-most block. Some blocks can't be pushed until all the enemies in the room are killed
Dungeon walls can be bombed through to reach adjacent rooms. Some walls cannot be bombed even if there is a room on the other side
Enemies on a screen won't respawn as long as at least one is left alive. Clear out all but one enemy to keep exploration easy
Dongdongos can be killed with one bomb. Hit them in the face with the bomb blast (don't let them swallow it) and they'll be stunned allowing you to finish them off with the sword. They always drop a bomb when killed this way
The 10th enemy you kill in a row without taking damage will always drop a bomb when killed with a bomb
If your sword is disabled by a red bubble, you can drink a potion to restore it without having to touch a blue bubble (only in second quest)
In the second quest there is a new type of dungeon wall that you can walk through by pushing against for a moment. There is exactly one of these in the first quest, try to find it

>> No.367069

>>366993

It's not like every game has to be totally on rails. But you have to admit that a game like this, is a little too far in the other direction? I mean it's not like an open-ended game where you do whatever you want, it's a game with levels and an end.

>> No.367073

>>367045
Yeah, that's the sort of game I get stuck like that against a brick wall. Glad I stuck with it though. How long have you been stuck?

also, 3 dungeons? don't you have the raft?

>> No.367089

>>367073

I have the raft but the only place it's taken me is to an old guy who gave me a heart piece which is awesome but not what I'm looking for.

I searched around for about 2 hours the other day and said screw it I'll try later when I feel motivated. Still not sure I want to try again.

>> No.367094

>>367045
>not having the blue ring and magic shield before the first dungeon

Step up sempai.

>> No.367097

>>367089
Look around the center of the map for the next dungeon. You need the raft.

>> No.367102

>>367069
>I mean it's not like an open-ended game where you do whatever you want, it's a game with levels and an end.
But other "open-world" games like Elder Scrolls are arranged like that too. Zelda 1 doesn't completely lack direction either, the overworld isn't too huge and dungeons are labeled by level number. The manual tells you what your items can do and gives a hint on where each dungeon is located.

>> No.367105

>>367089
From above and left from the starting point at the mouth of the river past the shop you'll find a raft dock. That's the next dungeon.

>> No.367107

>>367089
Haha, I remember getting stuck on that exact point actually. There is another raftable dock area, it's quite near where you begin, you probably walked past it loads of times, in fact you walk past it to get to the first dungeon. also
>2 hours
>stuck

>There can only be one cave/staircase per screen.
What about spectacle rock?

>> No.367114

>>366761
The game didn't age well. This was acceptable back in the NES days because it was its own explorable world or some shit. Now it's just unplayable because the graphics aren't good enough nor the gameplay good enough for you to just fuck around trying to find where to go.

>> No.367115

>>367089
>and said screw it I'll try later when I feel motivated. Still not sure I want to try again.

If Link had that attitude Hyrule would have been destroyed long, long ago. You're going to give up on your quest that easily? Where is your courage?

>> No.367120

>How did people play through this, when it came out?
More than likely they had a manual, which gave directions to the first two dungeons, and a map of the Overworld, which showed the location of the next two, though they weren't labelled.

The rest was exploration and figuring shit out.

>Experiences with Zelda 1? When you first started it up, what did you do?
I was a little kid so I sure didn't read through the manual at first, which left me a bit confused. Went into the little room, got the sword, wandered around killing monsters for a bit. Decided to then consult the manual, which got me pointed in the right direction.

From there it was just figuring stuff out on my own and exploring. I wish more games were like that. Too much hand holding and railroading these days.

>> No.367124

>>367107
>What about spectacle rock?
Has only one cave. Unless you meant to say the dungeon that has a staircase outside of it hidden under the armos, but that leads you to the same place. Zelda 1 determines cave contents on a per-screen basis

>> No.367139

>>367063
Forgot one
The flute can open up secret entrances on the overworld

>> No.367149

>>367094
You can also get the white sword before the first dungeon, too.

Seriously, if you twink Link out at the start the dungeons up until around level eight are pure easy mode.

>> No.367150

>>367115

Well the fate of the world doesn't hang in the balance I finish Zelda. If it did then yeah I would give it another go. The only thing is I kind of have this rule, once it stops being fun I stop playing. It's not even challenging me currently in any fair way, it's just making me go over the same areas over and over until I find whatever I missed, which isn't a challenge nor fun. It's monotonous bullshit.

>> No.367152

>>367124
no, sorry, I got confused with Zelda 2 I think.

>> No.367173

>>367150
Sounds like you just suck at exploring then.

>> No.367181

>>366761
You have been spoiled by modern game design

>> No.367182

>>367150
you've probably just got tunnel vision. Maybe giving it a rest for a little while would be good.

>> No.367196

>>366872
Or using the whistle (second quest)

>> No.367193

>>366872
Or burning down a tree

>> No.367195

>>367150
It´s only monotonous becasue you keep taking the same exact aproach each time and missing things for the eact same reason.

>> No.367210

>>367124
>>367152
Also, I probably got mixed up with the cave on the next screen with the lady selling potions, just assuming it was in the other rock.

>> No.367202

>>367149

I disagree. The first few dungeons are easy regardless, but as soon as you fight the Wizzrobes (level 6) it's pretty tough. The darknuts are also really tough. Level 7 is easy enemy wise, though.

>> No.367205

>>367196
Applies in the first quest too. Not as often though.

>> No.367220

>>367019
This may get annoying until you get the red candle, unlike the blue candle, you can use it more than once per screen scroll

>> No.367226
File: 1.04 MB, 950x573, 1362718738639.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>your race when zelda is one of the only games you can actually play wrong
gotta read the enclosed instruction manuel

>> No.367256

>>367045
Buy the damn meat and the blue candle, you pleb

>> No.367267

>>367220
Oh god yes, that was tedious. Probably my biggest complaint against the game.

>>367226
You don't HAVE to. It helps certainly.

>> No.367273

>>367094

It's "Step it up Senpai"

>> No.367271

>>367063
>The pushable block is always the left and center-most block. Some blocks can't be pushed until all the enemies in the room are killed

Not always, especially in the second quest where the pushable blocks are in places you least think of pushing

>> No.367284

>>367063
>In the second quest there is a new type of dungeon wall that you can walk through by pushing against for a moment. There is exactly one of these in the first quest, try to find it

Where the hell is it?

>> No.367290
File: 14 KB, 190x190, THIS_FUCKER_RIGHT_HERE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>367202
I don't think that the Wizrobes are too difficult anymore, but I fully admit that's probably because I've played it so many times.

Blue Darknuts, on the other hand...

>> No.367301

>>366761

Because back then you had to read the manual to get a clue to get you rolling and started in a general direction for the first 3 labyrinths.

Of course it's quite clear that you never owned the game and had the manual so you're completely lost. The manual had maps and item descriptions and all neat extra things.

>> No.367319

>But the game just seems so cryptic and hard to figure out that it's not fun.
>How did people play through this, when it came out?

Strategy guides. Most games back then were designed so that you absolutely needed a walkthrough.

>> No.367323

>>367114
Spoken like a true pleb

>> No.367331

>>367271
Hm, I've yet to play the second quest, but I've been conditioned from ALttP to try to push and pull every single block in a room in every single direction. Probably the biggest hurdle will be "find out that this room has a secret in the first place".

>> No.367340 [DELETED] 

>>367139
Only in the second quest

>> No.367352

>playing zelda rom for first time
>turn on filters
>favorite game is borderlands 2 and ACIII
>didnt even bother downloading the map and booklet
this game too cryptic. it has aged badly. its objectively not good. nostalgia goggles etc

>> No.367354

>>367205
I don't remember ever happening in the first quest, besides that ONE PLACE

>> No.367367

>>367290
How the fuck does one even hurt those guys without bombs? The side that takes damage seems to vary based on the direction they face, but it doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it (or consistency from enemy to enemy for that matter).

>> No.367369
File: 113 KB, 1000x385, z1manual-39-40[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>367301
>The manual had maps and item descriptions and all neat extra things.
And scans of it in full are piss easy to find online. I don't consider reading the manual scans to be "cheating" in the same way that looking at a walkthrough or going to gamefaqs or whatever is cheating.

>> No.367373

You know what I hated the most about this game?

the save feature.

You need to use the controller plugged into port two.

I can't remember when I figured that out, and I do not remember if it was even in the instruction book.

Made me so mad I had to suicide every time to save.

>> No.367375

>>366761
http://legendsoflocalization.com/the-legend-of-zelda/

>> No.367384

>>367367
>Hide around a corner
>wait patiently
>slash and run before they can turn

In a room without blocks, these guys were one of the most challenging enemies in the game

>> No.367395

>>367373
what? you kill yourself to save

>> No.367397

What's to figure out? You wander about finding monsters and caves with dudes in them. Eventually you find a big cave with monsters in them. You find a new item, clear the cave, get an extra heart, and the game freaks out about a shiny triangle before kicking you back outside.
From then on you're just repeating this same routine about 8 more times.

>> No.367407

>>367301

yeah but consider this: what about the ports like the classic NES series on GBA, or the virtual console release. those dont come with manuals that are as helpful.

imagine someone downloading on the virtual console and just playing it....it would be a strange experence

>> No.367416

>>367395
Nope. Turns out there is a button combo on the second controller that activates the save screen without having to die.

Again, I can't remember how I figured this out.

>> No.367417

>>367367
Darknuts, Red or Blue, both work the same way. Hit 'em from the front and your sword will just skitter off; you gotta hit them from the side or the back with your sword or your laser sword-ray.

It's a pain in the ass because they key in on you and can turn on a dime in a split second. If you've got full health and it's a room that has obstacles like blocks and walls, then you can zap them from a distance and out manoeuver them.

It's not easy, though.

>>367373
>>367395
There's a trick where you can save by using the second controller after going into the menu. Once your in your menu, press A and up on the second controller. It'll bring up the save screen.

>> No.367421

>>367367
You can hurt them from any side other than the front. These guys aren't so bad so long as you try not to stay in the same row as them.

>> No.367431

>>367373
You don't really need it, I found the Game Over save screen more than adequate. I don't just decide to quit, I ragequit. It actually suits my playstyle that whenever I keep losing at a certain place or I die soon after recklessly walking into a new dungeon, I feel "this seems like a good place to stop for now". It's my "hook".

>> No.367437

>I don't understand this game. When you start it up, it gives you absolutely no indication of where to go.

That cave on screen 1 is kind of an indicator...

>> No.367438

>>367416
It still counts to the death counter when you save this way, so you might as well kill yourself. The GBA and Wii Virtual Console versions don't increase the death counter this way and you can activate it with the first controller.

>> No.367441

>>367367
Uh, they are hurt the same way as the red ones

>> No.367448

What level was it where you had to fight like 8-9 blue darknuts at once? i think it was 4 or 5....anyway those rooms were HARD! it was easier with bombs but you needed bombs elsewhere in the dungeon!

>> No.367451

>>367417
>There's a trick where you can save by using the second controller after going into the menu. Once your in your menu, press A and up on the second controller. It'll bring up the save screen.

No shit, he mentioned it in his post

>> No.367452

>>367448
Level 5 and Level 8 had lots of blue darknuts

>> No.367462

>>367438
>It still counts to the death counter when you save this way

It does in Zelda II but not in Zelda I, I just did it

>> No.367467

>>367451
>No shit, he mentioned it in his post
>Did not realise that the response was to the second post # quoted

>> No.367469
File: 18 KB, 500x339, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>367373
That shit was awesome back in the day. NO other game would let you save. It was fucking revolutionary.

Not sure what you mean about controller 2. We always followed the instructions in the damn manual and held down reset while turning off the console.

>>367290
>mfw blue darknuts

>> No.367475

>>367462
See
>The GBA and Wii Virtual Console versions don't increase the death counter this way

On the NES it increases the death counter, it doesn't on the GBA, Wii, and Gamecube versions.

>> No.367476

>>367469
>We always followed the instructions in the damn manual and held down reset while turning off the console.

wat

>> No.367483

>>367352
If you think Zelda I is too cryptic, you obviously haven't got Legacy of the Wizard, Castlequest or even the first Metroid. For all the bitching people give Zelda I, the original Metroid is far more cryptic and unforgiving

>> No.367480

It's pretty strange to think that Super Mario Bros and Zelda were developed around the same time. They put lots of work into Zelda without really knowing if it would be a big hit or not.

>> No.367482

>>367407

The VC release comes with an in-game manual that sets you off for the first area. It doesn't have the map though.

>> No.367486

>>367476
Your age is showing

>> No.367487

>>367476
Hold reset. Press power to turn off console whilst holding reset.

It was in the manual. You're supposed to do this with all of the battery save games on the NES, otherwise you risk a loss/corruption of save data.

>> No.367491

>>367475
It doesn't increase it on the NES version

>> No.367494

>>367467
The quoted post is also replying to >>367373

>> No.367507

>>367476
The early NES games that saved you were supposed to hold down reset and then turn off the console while still holding the reset button.

>> No.367509

>>367475
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48rJsnjqHw

Shot on an actual TV screen with an actual NES

>> No.367550
File: 132 KB, 1000x383, manual.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1) I haven't read that instruction manual since 1994-5

2) I have never once held the reset then power down.

>> No.367556

>>367483
>original metroid if more cryptic
This. I thought zelda was pretty straight forward and I was 6 at the time. The fucking dungeons are numbered. Beat dungeon, explore till you find the next one. What's so hard?

>> No.367565
File: 93 KB, 1000x388, manual2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>367550
Also
>reading pages without pictures on them
>6 years old
Pick one

>> No.367582
File: 145 KB, 1000x380, manual3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>367565
And finally,
>reading this page
>ever
It does explain why I could use my sega to pick up antenna television in my university dorm though.

>> No.367575

>>367550
I told my cousin to hold down reset, and he never did. I was there when he lost his data, well into the second play through. It was glorious.

>> No.367597

>>367575
I never lost data this way. What wa sthe logic behind it?

Also
>child
>burning every tree on every screen with the blue candle
>farming bombs to bomb every other wall
Tedious, but I still remember when I found the blue ring on the second playthrough. 100% worth it just for that feeling.

>> No.367618
File: 144 KB, 1000x385, z1manual-09-10[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>367565
Plenty of the pages had neat pictures, though.

I always wished that the animated Zelda looked like the cartoon images from the manual.

>> No.367625

>>367273
Both are acceptable, but "sempai" is much closer to how it's actually pronounced. Just like "Gumpei" and "Gunpei".

Oh yeah, the 2nd Quest in Zelda 1 is too many "gotcha" bullshit. It's practically Lost Levels hard (I wouldn't be surprise if that's where Shiggy got the idea of giving Zelda 1 a second quest).

>> No.367648

>>367597
I have no idea of the logic behind it. I've heard it was to put the cart in standby while everything finished writing. I've also heard it was to keep from accidentally double tapping the on/off switch and pulsing the cart with power.

>> No.367709

>>367114

>unplayable because the graphics aren't good enough

what are you doing here?

>> No.367828

>>367597
>>367648

It was mostly a precautionary thing with the power and voltage issue when saving to the battery. There's much more detail to it but i am pretty sure this is just a really basic explanation.

>> No.367836
File: 485 KB, 1920x1080, jc2-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>366984
> Like Elder Scrolls with good combat.
So, buggy a buggy as fuck first person Zelda?
I'd prefer if you were to use any engine as starting point to go with something closer to just cause 2 where the scale is gigantic and running around on foot would actually be great and getting a high vantage point would actually not only look good but be informative.

Dungeons, dungeons everywhere! Shit would be amazing. And that shitty flapping bird, would actually be fucking useful in a game that size, and sky temples, could actually be hidden in clouds in the skies. Villages plotted around, you could even include boats like fucking windwaker with little islands and it would all fucking work perfectly. Tuck dungeons and fortresses all over the place, actually fucking have to go through giant cave systems to cross over mountains and up the tallest of them all death mountain. With Zelda combat and mechanics. They can toss in that shitty spin toy from skyward to move from large hub cities very very quickly. Epona would work. It'd all just fucking be gigantic.

>> No.367867

>>367290
I remember being 8 and so sure there was some trick to make blue Darknuts easier in Labyrinth 5. Of course, there wasn't. I just had to learn to play. Nowadays they're a fun but very surmountable challenge.

>> No.368025

>>367836

>Dungeons everywhere.

I'd prefer 10 dungeons done with excruciating detail and be expansive as all get out. Make 5 of them easy to find, make the other 5 nearly impossible to find until you beat the first 5 dungeons to get the necessary clues to find the well hidden ones that are presumably harder than the easy to find ones. Maybe throw in an extra small caves or something with sub-bosses.

>> No.368052

>>368025
>Dungeons so big there are actually towns/sub-areas in them

This just occurred to me and I think I'd like it a lot. It would also allow (read: require) a huge game world overall., which is nice.

>> No.368058

>>368025
I didn't really mean that they'd have a billion dungeons, but just the dungeons would be spread throughout the land in such a way as getting to each dungeon itself is a battle and a half. It'd be like looking for hidden dungeons in Zelda 1 but 10000x larger and daunting almost, though perhaps with intelligible clues potentially. Fighting through hordes and hordes of enemies, maybe even throw in required help from the natives to distract armies that would otherwise be perhaps more than link could handle on his own until he's very powered up with magical armor and weaponry.

>> No.368126
File: 12 KB, 276x183, 3d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>368058
>not to be that guy but
>3D Dot Heroes
>Everything a new retro Zelda should be
Just saying, not discussin'

>> No.368148

>>368126
>guy but
Well I'll take you up on that discussin' on /v/ in a decade when they emulate the PS3 rather than paying out half a grand for one game that someone on 4chan suggested.
Especially one that looks like it's trying to tuck in for style and has absurd length swords which quite frankly seems like it could take some of the fun out of fighting after initial lulz wear off.

>> No.368176

I beat Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 last year at age 15

They're on my top 5 list of Zelda games, not using a guide is part of the adventure.

When I first booted it up, I wandered into the cave, grabbed my sword, and explored everything

Shit's a great game man

>> No.368192

>>368126

Yeah... I know graphics aren't supposed to make or break a game for consideration if the game play is good enough but I personally can't imagine staring at that world for very long without getting sick.

I mean who knows? I don't know anything about that game, but from that shot alone it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing and besides the castle in the distance I don't see much relating to Zelda.

A polite sage for not retro.

>> No.368229

>>368192
There's nothing wrong with mentioning other games, we're just not discussing them at depth. We're discussing Zelda and that happens to be a related tangential. Saging also doesn't do what you think it does then. It just doesn't bump the thread, which is retarded on a board like /vr/ where threads last for ages and are fairly slow and also on a thread that's more or less on point and is retro.

>> No.368268

>>368126
You know just watching it on CGR it looks like it's really only Zelda-ish on the face and really lacks anything that makes the Zelda series good.

>> No.368271

>>368229

I know sage doesn't bump the thread, I just thought that since my post had nothing to do with actual /vr/ content that aging would be the best course. But here we are.

>> No.368274

>>368271
Well, good for you. Bump.

>> No.368306

>>368148

Don´t be decieved by the sword, range helps a little, but foes are more agressive and atack in more varied ways than zelda.

You should play it, it´s a lot like the first zelda, but harder and with more content. Quests are time sensitive, you can fuck up and miss out on a lot of things.

Hints aren´t quite straight foward either, they are just written in actual english this time.

>> No.368354

Back in the day, they had instruction manuals.

>> No.369059

>>367597
>What wa sthe logic behind it?
When the famicom was originally released, games didn't have the capability of saving. For some reason, it was actually REQUIRED on Famicom games with battery saves, and some early FDS games (like LoZ).

No clue why they brought it over in the US when the NES was designed with that design flaw in mind, nor why they didn't add the little notice until the second version of the game.

>> No.369105
File: 10 KB, 429x410, 1275496282678.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>367483
>Writing a serious reply to that post

Unless you're being post-avant-garde-wave Ironic, in which case good on ya.

>> No.369130

I don't recall ever having a hard time with this game. I remember being 4 years old and being ecstatic that I found the 7th dungeon. I could hardly read back then, had no manual, no one to help me, and all the hints were useless because I could BARELY read.

I still beat that game. Over and over again.

The second quest however...

REQUESTING LIST OF RECOMMENDED ZELDA ROM HACKS.

ONLY HAVE MARIO AND SONIC ROM HACK LISTS.

>> No.369435

>>369105
Adding to the conversation vs. Not adding to it

>> No.369576

I havent touched this game since I was a child... I think about 10yrs old. that being said I went back and played it a few weeks ago using an emu. Tore thru the first quest in 2 sittings... didnt look up a damn thing and remember'd a ton. It all came back almost instantly. I used to play the shit out of this game. Definetly retain'd alot. Beat it and now play about 20 mins or so if I have time on the 2nd quest. Just no free time atm.

>> No.369771

>>367483
>Castlequest
>CASTLEQUEST
>FUCKING GODDAMN HELLFIRESHITTING CASTLEQUEST
I'm not even fucking kidding, to this day I have nightmares about playing that game when I was like 6.
The fucking music, man.
DEEDEEDLEDEE DEEDLE DEEDLE DEEDLE DEE DEEDEEDLEDEE DEEDLE DEEDLE DEEDLE DEE DEEDEEDLEDEE DEEDLE DEEDLE DEEDLE DEE DEEDEEDLEDEE DEEDLE DEEDLE DEEDLE DEE
no fuck that shit.

>> No.369874

>>366996
I'd actually be laughing at how the stupid kid can't handle a hard video game

>> No.372815
File: 2 KB, 640x384, s_RaidersOfTheLostArk_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>people thinking Zelda I is too cryptic

You don't know the meaning of true despair in abstract form.

>> No.372835

>>372815
God fucking retarded damn piece of shit ankh faggotry mesa parachute bullshit!

>> No.374259

>>367114
/v/ please go

>> No.374358

>>366984

you mean like Minecraft?

>> No.374418

>>372815
Holy shit that game. I was just playing it yesterday trying to figure it out with a friend. FUCK THAT GAME!

>> No.374420

>>367417
I'd always retreat to the doorway if possible. You could go most of the way in without going to the other room and be safe to come back in and attack.

Of course, rooms where the door slammed shut behind you were a different story...

>> No.374445

>>366805
That's still 4 years.

>> No.374471

I watched my dad play this game until I was old enough to pick up a controller. I've never had any problems with it and all my friends know me as the master at this game. I get asked to show people how to get around and all the cool secrets all the time.

It's not my fault you won't ask someone or at least man the fuck up and step up to the challenge OP. If you want a game to hold your hand the entire time you play through it, that's your prerogative.

>> No.374513

I've just started playing Zelda 1 for the first time. I love it. I'm having just about more fun than I have with any other Zelda game, and I've played most of the rest.

>> No.374558

>>367149

That's how I do my speed runs in this game. Get bombs, head east along the coast grabbing heart four screens from the start and then the one near the power bracelet entrance in the east. Stop up north for the 100 rupees hidden trick and you are more than well off at the start.

>> No.374569

>>374513

good for you, I had problems getting into Zelda 1 and 2 due to preconceived notions that all Zeldas must play like LA and Oracles and be hand-holding and easy

but 1 and 2 proved to be much more satisfying adventures

>> No.374573

>>374558
I'm all about getting the magic shield, the white sword, and the blue ring before even setting foot in the first dungeon

>> No.374627

>>374573

The cheap shield and candle come out of that 100, which i usually have enough for both by the time I'm done up north. Ill hit dungeon 2 while I'm there to prevent less backtracking. Blue ring is usually picked up by the end of the third labyrinth because fuck dungeon four.

>> No.374675

>>374573

this is what I didn't know about the first time I tried playing and barely made it through the first dungeon before giving up on the second one

by default link is really horrible to start with, that's my only complaint with Zelda 1, excluding the no obvious way to save without dying

>> No.374685

This crazy old lady who lived across the street from us played through Zelda 1 obsessively, and kept detailed notes on everything in this little black notebook. When we finally got a NES and the game for christmas she gave us the notebook and we just cruised through it.

>> No.374719

>>374675
>dying at all before the fourth dungeon

Look at this guy! Look at this guy and laugh!

>> No.374738

>>374685

that sounds kinda cool. just an old lady keeping a bunch of notes and stuff about zelda. i can imagine her having a room filled with all kinds of maps

>> No.374753

>>374719

I played it with the keyboard so battling even the hoards of octoroc was hard

but then I manned up

>> No.374798
File: 17 KB, 400x302, no.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>374753
>playing zelda on a keyboard

I might cry.

>> No.374901
File: 64 KB, 288x288, derp wizuuurd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>374798
Jenny please

>> No.375091

>>374901

God damn all mighty, I love Jenny Lewis.

>> No.377470
File: 24 KB, 500x331, teteespindola.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>374569
>I had problems getting into Zelda 1 and 2 due to preconceived notions that all Zeldas must play like LA and Oracles and be hand-holding and easy

>> No.377690

before there was internet, there was chatting with bros during recess and asking advice on how to beat a game. I remember calling a dude after school one time for tips on how to beat ganon.

of course, you really needed strategy guides, the most important which was Nintendo power. If you think about it, these games were made hard ON PURPOSE to scam kids to buy these guides.

we were being manipulated. but at least you still had to work past some bullshit to beat a game. nowdays, kids just ask for their parents credit card and buy stat boost and bonuses. can't figure out how to get X armor? fuck it, you can buy it for $20 at chinese web site.

>> No.378236

>>377470
Wait, are you actually saying that LA and and the Oracle games are comparable in difficulty?

>> No.379020

>>366829
Nigga, my 10 year old self could beat majoras mask

>> No.379271

>>367284
not this dude, but i am curious too. can someone please answer this?

>> No.381542

Probably they didn't have enough money to make a game with every detail, so they made the basic gameplay and printed that booklet.

>> No.381559

>>366761

You throw yourself into the world and explore. When you're a kid, you just play it for so much time that you start to learn where everything is. Your goal then isn't to beat the game, but to experience it. I don't even want to look at my gameclock for the original LoZ or Link's Awakening, so it's a good thing they don't have one.

>> No.384134
File: 2.95 MB, 360x204, Tomb Raider Ending.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>366761
People like you are the reason mainstream vidya is what it is today.

>> No.384145

>>366761
It's an entirely different experience from what you are used ot, OP.

Looking is the whole point of it. It takes hours? Thank god. It's not about progressing, it's about the search itself. Progres is a nice bonus and is not a given. The game is not supposed to be beaten by every single player that plays it, as simple as that.

>> No.384193

>>384145
It's not like we're talking about Wizardry IV here.

Even if you have never played a Zelda game before you should get some sense of achievement and progress pretty early on.

Walk around. Found a cave entrance? Go in. Found a new item? Maybe, just maybe with that item new areas in the dungeon/overworld are unlocked, it's not like that is not one of the most common gameplay mechanics in all of vidya.

you have to have an attention span of amoeba to instantly start feeling the agony of aimlessness OP is describing.

>> No.384230

>>384193
People also ignore the fact that the manual is a part of the game.

There is a challenge righ on: here's a country, princess is hidden here, find her. The game is very direct if you consider it's whole body, not jsut the cartridge.

Yes, moving the justification to the manual is outdated. So? It was a relict from when even text was a horrible strain on memory and storage. In a lot of cases, printing a booklet was easier than making a text crawl in a game. NES/Famicom cartridges didn't have this problem, but thepractice was still alive.

>> No.384235

>When you first started it up, what did you do?

I fucking played the game and explored. God forbid a game doesn't hold you hand or tell you what to do.

>> No.384246

>>384145

Thank you.

It's not about completing the journey. It's about the journey itself. That's when games are the best.

>> No.384250

Did you know you can whack enemies with the magic wand? It does as much damage as the white sword. Darknuts may not be affected by it's magic, but bonking them on head with it works.

>> No.384772

>>374753
But the diagonals only fuck you? You should have had an easier time than using the gamepad. Using the gamepad screws your control up if you combine more than two directions and you have to be careful to only hit one of the four cardinal directions.

>> No.384789
File: 59 KB, 281x211, aonuma.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>384193
Or be someone in particular...

>> No.384849

>>374358
never thought of that lol

>> No.384913

>>384849
That's what I don't like about minecraft, no real goals and gigantic amount of grind for every minor fucking thing.