[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 199 KB, 856x800, IMG_0463.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3656685 No.3656685 [Reply] [Original]

Faggot here, what makes pic related so bad?

>> No.3656693

>Level scaling
>Broken junktion system
>Unlikeable characters
>Cross as confirm button

>> No.3656694

>>3656685
Does being gay make you enjoy the game?

>> No.3656696

>>3656685
- Story is very confusing and relies too heavily on implications and foreshadowing.
- Game is ridiculously unbalanced and breaking it is trivial
- A lot of plot points seem to be complete ass-pulls, and several are actual ass-pulls. A plot device relating to amnesia is a complete asspull unless you read a rather out-of-the-way terminal's data.
- The characters are pretty meh as well.

So it's a shoddy story and trivial gameplay.

>> No.3656702

I lose interest when the story starts focusing on squall and rinoa

>> No.3656704

>>3656694
Anon, I haven't played it

>> No.3656706

Ff8 is one of my favorites but I can answer this: they made very bold decisions regarding game play and character growth. FF8, FF12 and FFXV were all the biggest in this regard and is why they're so polarizing. But unlike the other two, 8's systems were not executed very well at all.

There's like 1000 experience between every level, and stats aren't affected by it, instead enemies scale. Your stats are dictated by spells which you attach (junction) to that stat. Cure for example will raise your HP a lot when attached to it rather than Fira.

But the thing is, spells are individual casts that can stack up to 99. You need to draw them from enemies or points on the map to increase your stack. You can also convert items into spells, and cards into items. What this did was give you no reason to ever cast the best spells in the game. If you did, your stats decreased. So you go through the entire thing attacking or limit break cheesing.

Summons also played a huge role in stats and resistences, and offered bonuses like no encounter rates and such.

All of these ideas are cool, but could have been implemented better. Having a reason to use spells would be nice.

Also the plot was odd, it revolves entirely around squall and rinoa, the other party members get no development, and the later half of the story is retarded.

If any game needs a remake, in order to actually get a 2nd chance at making it a really good game, it's ff8

>> No.3656727

>>3656685
Quick background as someone who was a teenager in the ps1 generation:

When FF7 came out in the late 90's, it was the first RPG that most North American gamers had ever played through.

The combat system was simple, story was (mostly) easy to follow, the characters were likable, and Sephiroth was a good antagonist. Americans were not used to eastern storytelling (Anime was just starting to get a foothold in the West) and events like Aerith dying were a first for many gamers. It wasn't the first time a prominent protagonist died in a game, but for many it was the first time they experienced it.

Simply put, FF7 was a series of firsts for many western gamers and it's battle system was simple enough for anyone to play.

FF8 was hyped like crazy. Everyone wanted to play the next FF game and the screen shots were beautiful. The demo came out and was well-received as the presentation was second to none. Gaming magazines commented on the junction system and it's strangeness, but believed it would be resolved when it was released.

It wasn't.

The junction system was stupid. It was annoying and if you didn't so it correctly you could get all the way to the final boss, but never be able to win. The guardian force system was annoying.

The fact that enemies leveled up with you was a terrible idea. Many people had FF7 as their only RPG and had accepted the idea of grinding for higher levels if there was a part of the game that was too hard. FF8 broke this and people were pissed when they spent hours beating enemies only to have a harder time for spending the time to level up.

It's stupid how you can break the game by exploiting numerous flaws.

The main antagonist was garbage. Throughout all of disc 1 you have a single main antogonist to fight and she seems to be a fucking bad ass antagonist, but then she joins your party and you have some mythical enemy to fight in the future.

It isn't a bad game, but it was a dissapointment.

>> No.3656738
File: 81 KB, 1000x680, 335563-praa_miles_edgeworth4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3656727
>When FF7 came out in the late 90's, it was the first RPG that most North American gamers had ever played through.
You expect me to believe that nobody played any of the Phantasy Stars, FF1/4/6, or the original Dragon Quests?

>> No.3656739

>>3656727
(cont.)

FF8 did have an awesome card game though and that alone was enough to make me enjoy it through both of the playthroughs I did when it came out.

FF9 was a "return to roots" of sorts due to the disdain for the FF8 battle system.

>> No.3656748

>>3656738
No one but weebs gave a fuck about RPGs in the West before FF7 came out.

Most genesis owners in the early 90's were playing sonic or madden or shit games like the garbage Mortal Kombat port.

SNES owners were playing Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Mario, etc. No one I knew growing up in the 90's owned a RPG until FF7 on PS1 came out and everyone bought and played the shit out of it.

>> No.3656750

>>3656738
Or Breath of Fire, Lunar, Shining in the Darkness, Xenogears...

>> No.3656752

>>3656738
>You expect me to believe that nobody played any of the Phantasy Stars, FF1/4/6, or the original Dragon Quests?

that's actually pretty believable

>> No.3656757

>>3656706
>they made very bold decisions regarding game play and character growth

that's true for any FF made after the first one

>> No.3656759

>>3656738
FF7 did cause many gamers to go back to SNES and Genesis to play the good RPG's on them. I played Phantasy Star 4 on an emulator in 1998 after playing through FF7. I loved PSIV and it is one of my fav games of all time, but I didn't care about the genre until FF7 came out.

>> No.3656762

>>3656727
you are correct about 8, but all that shit you said about ff7 being people's first rpg is retarded. jap rpgs, especially the ff series, were well established and had been around for years. you must be 15

>> No.3656763

>>3656750
Xenogears came out after FF7 and was supposed to be FF8 but was too different.

All the other games mentioned were niche games, especially Lunar because barely anyone had a Sega CD. Lunar became popular with the PS1 re-releases which were created because FF7 created a huge audience for RPG games.

>> No.3656764

>>3656762
You can be an autist about it all you want, but in the 90's no one gave a fuck about RPGs in the West until FF7 came out. They were a niche market that increased ten-fold after the success of FF7.

>> No.3656775

>>3656763
That's incorrect, Xenogears was pitched in 1994 by Soraya Saga as an idea for VII. The basic pitch was a "veteran soldier with amnesia" but Kitase decided the plot was too idiosyncratic for FF and toned it down and turned it into what we now know as VII.

So Xengears's inception was before VII and was meant to be VII, not VIII

>> No.3656783

>>3656685
>what makes pic related so bad?

Being simple minded, unable to think for yourself and letting others decide whats good or not.

I did not even know FF8 was disliked until I found this awful place. Im convinced that most of the people that dont like it have not played many JRPGs. FF8 is more of a masterpiece when compared to your modern Japanese game.

>> No.3656784

>>3656685
It's just as bad as the other FF.
People lashed on it more because for once it tried to do something slightly different mechanic wise, which casuals can't accept.
The game has no more flaws than the ones that came before it.

If anything some design decisions like level scaling should be praised as they discouraged mindless grinding and opted for rewarding a smart use of the system, problem is the system is shallow garbage, like 90% of FF games.

Aesthetically speaking it's one of the strongest in the series, both for sound design and visuals, the presentation is almost flawless and for the time it was a big fucking deal, not many games on any platform could compete at the time.

The story is classic FF generic tripe, though this time it lets you play as another main party of heroes, which is a nice change from the usual stale formula, too bad those segments are far too short to be properly enjoyed, other than that is not more offensive than FFVII or FFIV, it's decent melodrama for teens.

>> No.3656787

>>3656685

It's actually bretty gud except it's easy to break

>> No.3656792

>>3656748

Oh fuck off m8, I didn't even know games were made in Japan when I played Final Fantasy and FFL and Phantasy Star II

>> No.3656795
File: 254 KB, 1029x688, 3kjdS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3656763
>>3656775
Oh and just to add onto this, when Cloud is comatose he will speak some broken sentences which are actually lines from Xenogears

>> No.3656801

>>3656738
yeah man no doubt
there was a shit ton of not rpgs to play
ff7 was the first one COOL AND EDGY enough to be cool

>> No.3656891

>>3656783
I'm still interested in the game, I just wanted to know why it gets criticized. Calm down.

>> No.3656905

>>3656891
the drawing is the biggest reason the game gets slammed

>> No.3656932

>>3656685
You're punished for leveling up

>> No.3656949

I bought this game way back when it was originally released. I was totally hyped for it.

I ended up turning the game off at the end of Disc 3 because the battle I was in was literally lasting fucking ages. I think I had been in the same fight for over 30 minutes, watching the same ridiculous over-the-top spell animations on a loop.

I just got fucked off with it. And the story sucked fucking ass. And I hated that the series had finally lost most of it's pseudo-medieval aesthetic.

It felt like a chore to play through just to trigger the next cutscene.

It's the worst FF game for me.

>> No.3656960

It's not bad, it just didn't conform to anyone's expectations of how a JRPG should handle progression. You can break the game a dozen different ways, but that's not really the point. The point is that you can approach character development however you want, or not at all. You can literally beat the entire game without gaining a single level. You can even disable random encounters outright, and just coast through the story. (although boss fights are mandatory)

tl;dr - FF8 didn't push grinding and linear experience level growth and beef gates like most JRPGs do, thus retarded masses got confused, threw up their hands and told themselves that the game was just poorly designed.

>> No.3656970

>>3656960
>let's disable gameplay! that's fun!

>> No.3656973

>>3656727

Hold up there, pardner. Some fact-checking for those anons who might blindly circlejerk around your post:

>The junction system was stupid. It was annoying and if you didn't so it correctly you could get all the way to the final boss, but never be able to win.
False. It's impossible to become permanently stuck as a result of how you use the junction system. Not understanding how the system works would certainly strand you, but that could easily be remedied by - you know - actually looking at the in-game tutorials.

>The fact that enemies leveled up with you were a terrible idea.
I take it you hate Elder Scrolls as well? A lot of RPGs have para-leveling mechanics. They're virtually identical to FF8. Except FF8 arguably handles it better by incentivizing the system. Higher-level versions of enemies drop better loot, including some of the more rare items in the game that can be used in ultimate weapon upgrades. Enemies aren't simply cheesed by being given better stats, they also change their skills and strategies depending on the party's relative level.

>Many people had FF7 as their only RPG and had accepted the idea of grinding for higher levels if there was a part of the game that was too hard. FF8 broke this and people were pissed when they spent hours beating enemies only to have a harder time for spending the time to level up.
False as well. Instead of grinding levels, you just draw / refine better magic to equip to your stats. Although you'll certainly have to grind your GF levels in order to unlock their more useful junction abilities, which will let you junction a broader selection of your stats at once.

>It's stupid how you can break the game by exploiting numerous flaws.
Most every RPG that doesn't force linear character development systems. The same can be said of the various exploitable materia setups you can achieve in FF7.

>> No.3656998

>>3656738

Availability isn't the be-all-end-all, FF7 was just that game that made people stand up and give a fuck. It had a huge budget, great marketing, a pretty exciting development with Square jumping ship from Nintendo to a platform that was still fresh but picking up steam - it hit on all the right marks at the right time.

>> No.3657002

>>3656727
>it was the first RPG that most North American gamers had ever played through.

WTF no it wasn't
plenty of ppl played R{PGs before FF7
I did and so did my friends
not to mention pokemon was an rpg and almost every kid had a gameboy with it in school

>> No.3657050

I'm playing VIII for my first time right now, just started the 3rd disc. I've beaten I-VII up to this point.

Pros
>Junctioning
I personally like it and like messing with it. I haven't spoiled things and read up on how to break it, so it's still fun to play around with different options.
>Card game
Great, simple concept that manages to stay interesting with regional rules and tracking down rare cards. Good diversion from the main game.
>Graphics, sound, etc.
I think they're all major improvements for the series that still hold up well.

Cons
>Story/characters
It doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother other people, but the story and characters are pretty boring and artificial. The writing and animation don't do a good job of supporting the plot or character development.
>Magic drawing
It's unique and not entirely bad, but I prefer the classic MP system. If there's any positive about it, it makes random battle somewhat less annoying, since they give you a chance to stock up on spells.
>Difficulty
I can't think of a single difficult battle so far, and I'm not grinding or looking up any exploits. I've only had a handful of occasions where a single party member even died (actually I take that back, technically everyone died at the missile base when the timer ran out). FFVII was the same way. The series just seems to get easier as time goes on.

>> No.3657052

>>3656685
broken gameplay, bad story, bad characters.

>> No.3657076

>>3657002
Not that poster, but I generally agree with him
>plenty of ppl played R{PGs before FF7
He said "most," not "all," so your "plenty of people" is true, but also fails to prove/disprove anything. I played a few RPGs before FFVII also, but it was still a niche genre. FFVII was a major mainstream hit in the states and most people I know who were introduced to RPGs started with FFVII.
>not to mention pokemon was an rpg and almost every kid had a gameboy with it in school
Which came out in the states a full year after FFVII.

>> No.3657118

>>3656764
WRONG BUCKO.

Sega and SNES were the two systems that established RPGs in the west. The Phantasy Star series up until 3 was successful to a small degree. But, Lunar, PS4 and FF6 were massive along with Breath of Fire and Chrono Trigger. You couldn't pick up a GamePro or EGM without seeing a picture of Mog leaning up against a dagger- for a solid year or two. The market was gorging on JRPGs by the time FF7 even started development.

You just have no fucking clue what was going on in the 90's because your fucking parents were in high school at the time you nine year old piece of shit.

>> No.3657165

>>3656949
How the hell did you sit through Sephiroth's Super Nova?

>> No.3657228

>level scaling
>easily breakable
>Laguna isn't the main character
>ham-fisted time travel plot
>"lol amnesia"
>world feels like a mashup of several canned RPGs
>main girl is sloppy seconds
>they're all child soldiers (Quistis is the oldest at 18), but this is completely glanced over
>no gear, just tediously hoarding magic

it's just a fucking mess

the card game was fun though

>> No.3657259

>>3657118
>BUCKO

lmfao this autist

Yes EGM, Game Players, Game Pro, and even Nintendo Power rated many of the games you mentioned very highly and there was a solid fan base for RPGs in the West during the 16-bit era - but it was still a niche market compared to the top selling series and genres of that era.

You can bang your helmeted head against the wall as much as you want; FF7 was the first RPG in the west to reach a massive audience of video gamers who had never tried an RPG prior to this.

Also, I'm 32 - which in and of itself is sad that I'm posting on a Chinese Image Board, arguing with an autist about the state of Role Playing Video games 20 years ago.

>> No.3657295

...besides the magic system, it was ok. Characters are a bit stupid too, but I guess they were trying to cater to the edge teen-ager crowd.

>> No.3657380
File: 20 KB, 500x313, come-on.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>we all grew up together but forgot

>> No.3657424

I remember playing that in high school.

I got stuck on the last boss. There were these items called Heroes that if you used one, it would make your party member invulnerable. I used 99 of them on that fight, and the last boss still wasn't dead.

I had everyone at like, level 10 because I heard you could just rely on drawing magic to get through. I gave up. Little replay value since I knew I would have to face the last boss again if I did that, but as others have said, the card game is fun.

Oh, also it came in a three way folded book, and had like, six CDs. My second disc doesn't work anymore. So I can enjoy the beginning of the game, but that's it.

I don't hate it, but there are two scenes I remember liking. One is where the main character is battling in a school environment, swinging from ropes and fighting soldiers mid-late into the game, and another is a space scene where a song called "Eyes on you" plays.

>> No.3657460

>>3656738

There's nothing especially bizarre about an audience for a genre suddenly expanding. I mean I don't have the numbers to confirm or deny it myself, but... why would this be hard to believe? They didn't even bother porting half the FF games prior to this, thanks to the small audience. They had to make weirdo special efforts like Mystic Quest to try to solve the problem. It was obviously a problem. Why couldn't the first FF game to be highly accessible to morons, due to its use of terrible ugly 3D graphics, be the first one to be very widely popular in a market?

>> No.3657563

>>3656696
Story is God-tier:
>Ultimecia, utilizing the Junction Machine Ellione, returns to several ages in the past. She can't go too far though so she seeks the original wielder of the power, Ellione herself, in order to travel even farter back. This will allow her to compress time and become a god that can defeat the Legendary SeeDs that are prophesized to destroy her.
>Our heroes get caught in this mess when she possesses Sorceress Edea
>After, well, all of the plot, our heroes exploit the time compression itself in order to reach Ultimecia in the future
>After defeating her, Squall finds himself lost in time. Even though he knows he has to go to the flower field he promised Rinoa, he instead goes to the saddest day in his life, when Ellione left Edea's house
>Ultimecia followed him and her powers are absorbed by Edea which wanted to protect the other kids.
>Squall explains Edea what happened and that she needs to create SeeD in order to be prepared about what will happen in the future.
>Squall then returns to the flow of time, is saved by Rinoa and they both return to their proper time, finally free from Ultimecia's attacks.
The self-fulfilling prophecy also explains why Cid put most of the party together in the first place and also gives quite a sad spin around Ultimecia's tale. Seeds exist because Ultimecia, but Ultimecia wouldn't have acted the time compression without SeeDs around hunting her.
>>3656685
It's not bad. It's comfiest FF. You just don't get it.

>> No.3657581

>>3656949
>And I hated that the series had finally lost most of it's pseudo-medieval aesthetic.
Final Fantasy has always been science fiction.

>> No.3657638

>>3656685

It's not IX

>> No.3657648

>>3657563

>comfiest FF

that'd be IX

>> No.3657653
File: 1.70 MB, 256x256, myosin_endorphin.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3656685
It is heavily flawed in ways that are sort of ridiculous (particularly the story and the battle system) but honest-to-God it's a fucking good game. The music, the overworld, and the cinematics are fucking beautiful and are worth playing the game for alone. It also has a card game (that I don't remember very well) but everyone seems to adore and an INCREDIBLY satisfying ending. The negatives don't outweigh the positives IMO, and even though you may find several things in the game to be fucking retarded, they are very forgivable flaws.

FFVIII is definitely one of the more bizarre entries in the series, but you are really shooting yourself in the foot by not taking the time to experience it for yourself. That is, unless you are pretentious as fuck and can't enjoy a game unless it's the second coming of Christ.

>> No.3657662

>>3657581
I wouldn't call it science fiction. JRPGs have always had the aesthetic of blending fantasy and technology. And the Final Fantasy series seemed to have that gradual evolution of technology over the history of it's games.

In the fact, the opening of Final Final VII was built around this evolution - beginning on a minimal image of Aeris staring into a fire before the camera pulls out to show the spectacle of a fully advanced city scape. The devs were literally saying "THIS is where we are now."

I just thought that FF VIII went too far into that futuristic aesthetic.

When Square made FF IX, they obviously wanted it to be a celebration of all the previous games and that was reflected in it's world design, which called back to the more traditional fantasy setting with just a dash of technology spliced in.

I dunno, I just find Tolkienesque rpgs more comfy.

>> No.3657743

>>3656748
How old are you? Because it sounds like you have a very personal perspective more influenced by your age at the time then the actual truth

>> No.3657806

>>3657653
I really need to give it another chance sometime soon. I stopped playing on the 3rd disc.and that was years ago. I don't even remember half of the shit, I don't think I ever used the GF's, it just seemed like a waste of time.

>> No.3657819

You should try to grind AP to lvl up GFs, to get additional abilities and stat boosts.

Years ago I did a lot of grinding outside the Dollet Comm. Station, ended up with a lvl 30 Quetzalcoatl, and from then on the game was a piece of piss. I even managed to destroy the mechanical spider!

>> No.3657965

>>3657648
>IX
FF Empty World

>> No.3658047

>>3657653
People only like the card game now that it's been broken so you don't fuck yourself on rules. It's more like abusing the card system to break the game than playing the game, since once you have 9 nice cards you always win

>> No.3658216

>>3657662
They've been doing this overwrought scifi aesthetic bullshit since vii (aside from ix) and it only seems to be getting worse as technology improves.

>> No.3658224

>>3656748
Most of my circle of friends played FF3(6) and Chrono around the time they came out (in addition to the other games you mentioned). This is anecdotal, of course, but tons of non-weebs played RPGs long before FF7.

>> No.3658367

>>3656949
>And I hated that the series had finally lost most of it's pseudo-medieval aesthetic.

Never understood this complaint. How does this change in aesthetic affect the game itself? Are Earthbound and Phantasy Star not "true JRPGs" because they don't have muh neo-medieval aesthetic? Every time I see someone complain about it I assume it's an autist who hates anything that's different from what they grew up with.

>> No.3658737

>>3658367
He never said "true JRPGs," he just said FF, which always was mostly fantasy based with the occasional robot or flying city thrown in.

Phantasy Star and EB are both not medieval franchises from the start so there's no expectation for them to conform

>> No.3658757

I didnt play much ff8 but how do you break it, leaching junction shit was boring.

>> No.3658763

>>3658757
>but how do you break it
>Play Card games
>Get gud cards
>refine them
>???
>PROFIT!

>> No.3658768

>>3658757
Avoid leveling up and junction Firaga to Strength

>> No.3658818

>>3658763
> level up GFs enough to turn enemies into cards
> refine the cards into items
> refine the items into magic
> junction the magic
> never level up

>> No.3658830

The gameplay is undoubtedly shit, but all the flak the story gets tends to be the result of less intelligent gamers with low retention and poor short term memory displaying their stupidity.

>> No.3658845

>>3657563
I don't get it because I haven't played it yet.

>> No.3658847

>>3658047
Nah. I'm playing through right now (first time) and I love the card game for what it is, and I don't do any of the shit you listed. I normally use regular cards to keep it competitive (unless I'm trying to get a rare card), and I like playing with the different regions' rules and coming up with different strategies.

It's odd how so many people ITT act like just because something CAN be broken, it MUST be broken. Sounds completely boring to me. Maybe that's why so many people don't like VIII.

>> No.3658918
File: 33 KB, 300x209, therealdeal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3657259
32 is too young to understand what was going on in the early 90's BUCKO.

I know, because I'm 34. I was in the 9th grade when FF7 came out. You were probably 3 grades behind me since i skipped a grade to finish early- so you were just starting middle school for FF7?. When FF6 was a big deal you were 10 fucking years old tops. You don't remember shit about what was going on in the early 90's. So shut the fuck up and get the fuck out youngblood.

Here's what's true. Platformers were a big deal in the 80's 90's. Here's what's not true- Every genre that wasn't a platformer was niche and RPGs were not a big deal until FF7. They were, and you'd know if you weren't still a fucking illiterate baby in the late 80's and early 90's. Your bat shit crazy view is based on the fact that these games wouldn't have appealed to very young- illiterate/barely literate- audiences. At best you had an older sibling- like I did- who's collection you could dip into because you weren't going to be excited about the more adult themes in- for instance Phantasy Star 2. And even if you had an older sibling that was into RPGs, you were too young to understand RPGs (and so wouldn't have played them) and too young to form a solid view about the state of the RPG genre. The same was true about me when I played PS1 in the late eighties- I didn't understand why anyone would play that garbage. Partly because I didn't understand what was going on in the game, partly because there was no action- none like what was going on in Mario, and partly because i wasn't familiar with games that required reading or having a deeper understanding of what's going on in the game other than "you have to jump here".

Now, please step aside and let the big boys talk about the 90's. You're obviously wrong, and you're wrong precisely because you're too young to know better. BUCKO.

>> No.3658924

>>3658830
Nah, we get the story. It's just told very poorly.

>> No.3658991

>>3658918
This.

RPGs were massive in the early 90's, especially here in the UK.

I actually imported Secret of Mana for my Christmas in '93, FF III (VI) for Christmas in '94 and then Chrono Trigger for Christmas '95.

Prior to all that I was enamoured with Phantasy Star on SEGA Master System during the 8-bit days.

This notion that RPGs didn't become popular until FFVII is just utterly untrue.

>> No.3659525

>>3656763
To add onto what this guy said >>3656775
FFVII uses plot elements from Xenogears since the later was going to be the former

>Jenova = Deus
>Fei & Cloud both have amnesia and fake knowing their pasts
>Both games had a section where each character goes into their mind to sort things out.
>sephiroth clones = mutants
>Sephiroth = Ramsus, Both are a main antagonist born through genetic manipulation, and are being manipulated by the real villain
>Shinra = Solaris
I could go on with the similarities, not all of them are 1:1, but there's enough there that you can definitely see that Xenogears' early concepts were carried over into FFVII

>> No.3659728

>>3656970
>>let's disable gameplay! that's fun!
random fights are not fun. Do it chrono trigger style or give me encounter none.
FF8 basically included crafting and competitive card playing as an alternative path to fighting nonsense fucking monsters every 10 steps. That's better than fine, that's awesome.

>> No.3659773

>>3656748
I think it's a part true for people from Europe maybe, but americans got the chance to have a lot of good rpg before FF7.

>> No.3660000

>>3659773
See

>>3658991

>> No.3660006

>>3658991
Doesn't the fact you had to import those three games say a lot though? Also UK here, and JRPGs were just not on the radar for most people until FF7 because before that there weren't that many European releases.

>> No.3660046

>things i liked about ff8

music: honestly had some of the most memorable tunes for me of any ff game, and any game for its time as well. balamb garden music, laguna battle music, various town themes, are all great

laguna: his interludes were pretty fun to play, and his story was what carried the game for me when it started getting silly in disc 2+

squall: people either liked him or didnt but i found him pretty funny in a way. the kid just didnt give a shit about anything. i felt bad for him in a way because he was a dark and serious character sounded by a bunch of his retarded teammates that he was more or less forced to deal with, very much like a descendant of Lightning.

guardian forces: they were an important part of the game play and i was okay with that.

>things i disliked about ff8

lots of sekrits: maybe it was just the ps1 era of games in general because i remember this shit happened in ff7 and 9 as well, but it seemed like there was a lot of random cool shit that happened, which is cool, but you get very little (and in a couple cases, zero) hints on how to find or activate certain events. just a time i call back when games had the "sell the brady strategy guide" syndrome

the story: like disc 1 i thought it was great. after that it starts getting really fucking nonsensical to the point where the laguna segments are much more coherent than what is currently happening in the present.

too easy to break teh game: i guess in a way its fine as far as going back and replaying because after a first playthrough, you realize there are multiple ways you can totally bust this game open and go your own path gameplay wise, and it was in a way very cool to see and compare how i am doing in comparison to how my friends played the game, but there was no balance. like you can go full retard and literally get final weapons for people outside of balamb garden at the beginning of disc1 if you desire.

drawing magic: biggest fucking snore of the century, make it stop

>> No.3660062

From what I remember, it's really not a bad game, it's just that the bar was set so high after FF7 that just about anything else was going to be a disappointment.

The magic hoarding system is very bizarre and requires 0 skill, just a lot of time and boredom.

All the other complaints here are just creative liberties with the story, but that can be interpreted any way the viewer wants.

>> No.3660252

>>3657653
It also has a lot of GREAT set piece moments like the garden battle, before huge set piece shit was really standard

>> No.3660256

>>3656685
Only good thing was the ost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0JU76yuY58

>> No.3660285
File: 53 KB, 500x500, 1470204575858.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3660256
>tfw this theme isn't on the soundtrack that you can buy in FFXV

>> No.3660302

>>3660062
I always thought the magic drawing system was an attempt at modernizing the old system of "charges" that was used in FF1 desu, still making it a consumable, but it wasn't as restrictive as potentially leaving you fucked in the middle of a dungeon

Instead coupled with the junction system, it ends up being used and abused and no one actually uses the magic for the magic, just the stat boosts that make you rape everything with limit breaks for trillions of damage

>> No.3660365
File: 143 KB, 460x1156, 55104825cabdb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I finally completed VIII earlier this year and overall I like it but agree with >>3656706 that the gameplay wasn't executed very well. The funny thing is for me personally is that whenever I tried playing VIII in the past I would get bogged down by the long tutorials and bumble through it without understanding how to actually play the game. This year though I understood the gameplay to the point where it felt like I was just exploiting the 99 casts that I had junctioned (and like the anon said, without ever actually casting them) and the late stage of the game ended up being a bit too easy. Still though there are a lot of other aspects of the game that I liked and I think I actually rate it more than the other two PS1 FFs (IX is still a personal favourite.)

>> No.3660370

>>3657563
>2016
>people believe this

>> No.3660373

>>3656685
It's whatever.

>> No.3660381

I played bit when I was younger and never beat it due to just sheer boredom. Decided I'll give it a shot now since I'm older and maybe my taste wasn't as refined.

Finished the missle base 2 months ago and haven't touched it since due to utter boredom.

>> No.3660382

>>3657965

Here's your (You)

>> No.3660387

>>3656696
I could apply all of those points to FF6 and FF7 easily.

>> No.3660416

>>3660256
What part of the game was this played?

>> No.3660419

>>3660416

The bit before you reach the futuristic city.

>> No.3660445

>>3660416
the little dungeon where you fight abaddon while carrying rinoa, before esthar. Themes like this really showcased the musical talent they had working at Square, shame you don't hear much along the lines of this stuff anymore, no game really captured music like the PS1 FF games did.

>> No.3660449

>>3660006
The reason RPGs releases were slow in Europe had nothing to do with popularity - people loved them.

But the resources required to translate the game into 8 different languages just wasn't worth it most of the time.

>> No.3660451

>>3660445

IIRC Nobuo Uematsu did the music by himself until X which I think he did with someone else and then I think he stopped after that.

>> No.3660456

>>3660445
>shame you don't hear much along the lines of this stuff anymore

people back then had less tools to work with, so they had to make sure their melodies were memorable

>> No.3660460

>>3660006
You need to bear in mind that during the 16-bit days, video games were still a niche hobby.

High school jocks did not play video games, those were for nerds.

With the PlayStation, SONY changed all that by turning a hobby for geeks into the passtime of the masses.

All of a sudden, 'normal' people were playing games, and the sales of just about everything were mostly due to the size the market had become under SONY.

If I remember correctly, FFVII was the most returned game of the year. Jocks were taking the game back to stores in disgust because they couldn't figure out what the big deal was.

>> No.3660474

8 is to 7-9 like 2 is to 1-3, it had some non-standard, ambitious mechanics that sound cool on paper but tedious and shit in practice.

>> No.3660495

>>3660451
X was Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu, and Junya Nakano.

>> No.3660586

>>3656762
>were well established and had been around for years
>FFVI is now FFIII

>> No.3660591

I thought the junction system was very interesting and should have been refined and polished in a later FF. Oh well.

>> No.3660596

>>3657653
I can't stop looking at this shit.

>> No.3660623

>>3658757
Don't bother, you're a retarded faggot

>> No.3660687

>>3660460
>if I remember correctly
You remember incorrectly and you're making shit up.

>> No.3660830
File: 143 KB, 1080x657, Screenshot_2016-12-06-19-39-17-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3660687
He's not.

It was just a rumor but very well known one which probably has a lot of truth to it

>> No.3661436
File: 147 KB, 720x540, tmntirrma.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3660460

>16 bit Niche hobby

Wrong. jocks played sports games. Just like they do now. Gaming wasn't niche- Arcades were big. Consoles weren't niche after Atari/Nintendo. Stop making shit up.

>With the Playstation

Wrong again. Better case can be made for Nintendo/Atari bringing console gaming to the masses, but Arcades were popular and more used prior to and during (to some degree) the rise of giant consoles like Nintendo/Sega.

>all of a sudden
Again, making shit up on the internet. Why? Why even bother.

>If I remember
Nothing you remember is accurate because you weren't around to witness it.

>> No.3661769

>>3656949
>I ended up turning the game off at the end of Disc 3 because the battle I was in was literally lasting fucking ages. I think I had been in the same fight for over 30 minutes, watching the same ridiculous over-the-top spell animations on a loop

I did the same exact thing, but I later realized I was doing it wrong because I was just spamming GFs the entire game, which is a strategy that loses steam the higher level you get. I didn't understand the Junction system at all as well so my characters had utter shit stats.

The second time I played it, I payed more attention to the Junction system and actually played the card game to refine cards for magic. The game ended up being a very enjoyable breeze up to the final boss, with hardly any GF summoning that ruined the first playthrough.

This game is very unbalanced though, since you can either breeze through the game with card refining or slog through it with overlevelling, wasting hours drawing magic from enemies, and GF spamming.

>> No.3661896

The problem with drawing magic and having it junctioned to stats is that I never wanted to cast the good magic. I do like the idea behind it and enjoyed the customization. I guess that is why GFs were so strong in battle, use them instead of the actual magic.

>> No.3662136
File: 240 KB, 480x386, Sephiroth's Super Nova.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3657165
Literally this.

Also, thanks to Clarissa for giving us her opinions on Super Nova.

>> No.3662527

>>3661436
I'm a 2nd generation gamer kiddo, and I remember how things played out just fine.

Go back to your hentai comics and let the big boys talk.

>> No.3662728
File: 39 KB, 600x300, macgyver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3662527
>I remember

You're wrong about everything so I don't give a shit what you claim to be. You sound like a fucking teenager recounting a tv show you saw on the Disney channel. That's how comically wrong you are. Go larp somewhere else where you can talk about your xbox4 you teenaged piece of shit.

>> No.3662732

>>3661436
>Gaming wasn't niche- Arcades were big.

Arcades were popular because of the social aspect, that's where all the cool kids hung out.

That's different from the nerdy kid scrawling out maps to Ultima IV on scraps of paper in the seclusion of his bedroom.

Arcades were also on the decline for the entirety of the '90s until they faded completely.

>> No.3662746

>>3662728
>>3662527

Neither of you, other Oldfag here, plenty of sports dudes played video games back then. The first time I ever heard about roms and emulators was from one of my step-brother's friend and they were all mostly into sports. One of them now is even a sports writer. ( http://bigstory.ap.org/author/ian-harrison )

They weren't playing RPGs for the most part, it was mostly sports and fighting games, but they were definitely very big into games and weren't by any means unusual.

Also personal anecdote, what got me into Pokemon in the first place was the number of people at my college who were playing it.

>> No.3662750
File: 69 KB, 600x338, garbage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3662732
>all the cool kids

Uh, no. This is an opinion you'd form from something you'd see on a tv show for kids. Everyone that liked video games wanted to- and did go to arcades. Sometimes we'd go to the arcades just to see if there were new cabinets. Going to an arcade or department store with the right cabinets was a big deal- my friends and I kept track of where the games we liked were because those games weren't on consoles.

>that's different
Of course it's different. Different things are different. What exactly do you think you are saying or giving evidence for? Sitting alone in a room drawing maps of dungeons wasn't the only thing "nerdy kids" did. Nerdy kids were in the arcades too. You could even argue that the true nerdy kids were playing table top and designing their own games (lode runner comes to mind). Those kids were still in the arcades.

>faded completely

uh, again, no. You sound like a fucking cartoon with your opinions. Did you watch a youtube video on this? Is that why your opinions are distorted, incomplete shit? Arcades did go into decline because they enjoyed a boom. The novelty of arcades contributed to the boom- then the market settled down. However, every major mall has an arcade. Most supermarkets will have a small arcade room, most big movie theaters have an arcade, most bowling allies have them, pool halls have them, some restaurants will have a few cabinets... arcades are now decentralized but they still permeate many centers for social consumerism. Why are they able to be decentralized and still successful? Because there is no sharp distinction between people who enjoy video games and people who enjoy other hobbies. Contrary to what the the Disney shows that you watch are telling you.

>> No.3662754
File: 30 KB, 222x280, Defender_red_label.flyer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3662750
>Everyone that liked video games wanted to- and did go to arcades.

This is factually untrue. I was born in '74 and have loved video games since as long as I can remember them, but then as now I never ever liked arcades.

I loved the games, and there was a diner down the street from me that had a Defender machine I played the hell out of. But actual arcades were never appealing.

That's not to say that plenty of people didn't like them as well, but saying everyone who liked video games liked arcades is crazy talk.

>> No.3662756

>>3662754
>>3662750
>>3662732
>Forum about video games
>People still do nothing but argue semantics just like every other board
God bless

>> No.3662758

>>3662756
>3662754 (You) here

How am I arguing semantics? I'm telling you I disagree fundamentally with your claim that everyone who liked video games liked video arcades.

>> No.3662764
File: 222 KB, 850x1189, 21013801.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3662750
>Arcades did go into decline because they enjoyed a boom.

Uh no. Arcades died because the major draw for them - beyond the social aspect - was seeing cutting edge graphics.

By the time the 90's rolled around, the 16-Bit consoles - and later, the PlayStation - made all of that moot.

To remain interesting, the arcades slowly began to evovle into gimmicky trash (pic related) in an attempt to offer something you couldn't get at home.

I don't need to watch some clown on youtube because I witnessed this first-hand, sad if that's your only way of forming an opinion.

>> No.3662779
File: 81 KB, 454x215, thesedubs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3662754

The claim was in response to "only the cool kids went to arcades". My phrasing is hyperbolic, but the message still stands. The arcades weren't just for cool kids. As with any sociological truth there will be statistical outliers . Congrats on being an outlier. Besides, you did enjoy/play cabinets- so there's a case to be made that you enjoyed small arcades rather than large ones. What's it take to be an arcade other than having a cabinet in space? That's a mere matter of framing but shows you can still fit into models of people who loved video games went to arcades.

>> No.3662783

>>3662764
>Uh no. Arcades died because the major draw for them - beyond the social aspect - was seeing cutting edge graphics.

Oldfag again and I disagree with this as well. I don't think it had nearly as much to do with graphics as types of games that were coming to home console. I never liked going, but among my friends it was far less of an incentive to go pay per game when we could sit around all afternoon playing Street Fighter on SNES.

>> No.3662786

>>3662779
>My phrasing is hyperbolic, but the message still stands. The arcades weren't just for cool kids.

Okay then yeah I agree. And yes, I enjoyed cabinets because early on it was the only way I had of playing games. It was the noise and crowds of arcades that I never liked. I grew up in the country though so a lot of city stuff has never really appealed.

>> No.3662797

>>3662783

In a roundabout, we're agreeing on the same thing: people didn't need to go to the arcades anymore because homegaming had vastly improved.

>> No.3662806

>>3662797
Yeah basically. There's no debate they died out, but which reasons were more of an influence than other ones is hard to tell. And really, it doesn't ultimately matter.

>> No.3662808

>>3656685

Triple Triad is great, but the fucking Rule Spreading and losing cards is just retarded. Because if you want to be "perfect", it forces you to save/load scum. Witcher 3 perfected the card game system.

>> No.3662814
File: 21 KB, 476x306, telephonetongue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3662764
>cutting edge

Your justification is partly fine, your thinking there was fault with my comments is wrong. "enjoyed a boom" and "novelty" are rather vague because I didn't want to spell out every possible reason why "arcades went into decline". But your answer isn't the full story- in fact it has little to do with greater forces on the market driving technology for consoles and arcades.

You could argue socioeconomic conditions were primarily responsible for the decline of arcades. Where would consoles be if the average family didn't have discretionary income to spend on consoles for their children? Where would consoles be if teens didn't have a cash flow? Where would consoles be if land and housing were scarce? I have an idea- but you can guess what I'm going to say.

And what about the rise of suburban sprawl? I was a solid 45 minute drive away from a full blown arcade. 20 minute drive from a the super Wal-Mart that had an arcade in it. And a 10 minute walk down to the pool hall that had a couple of old cabinets I'd play from time to time. It was just more convenient to play consoles because my parents weren't going to drive me to the arcade every time I wanted to go.

All this to say, your brain is very small and you should think bigger before shit posting on the chans. The reasons for the decline in arcades are far more expansive than "muh graphics". You'd know this if you weren't such a dumb little teenaged twat.

>> No.3662815
File: 17 KB, 250x250, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>20 y/o arguing about arcades

>> No.3662914

>>3662750
>However, every major mall has an arcade. Most supermarkets will have a small arcade room, most big movie theaters have an arcade, most bowling allies have them, pool halls have them, some restaurants will have a few cabinets... arcades are now decentralized but they still permeate many centers for social consumerism.
>people believe this.

>> No.3662917

>>3662814
>. Where would consoles be if the average family didn't have discretionary income to spend on consoles for their children? Where would consoles be if teens didn't have a cash flow?

That all would have affected arcades as well. Arcades are a worse value for money than consoles.

>> No.3662923

>>3662914
>>3662750
I've never seen an arcade room in a supermarket, and most malls I've been to in the last decade don't have arcades either.

Movie theaters on the other hand usually still have them and most sports bars have at least a Golden Tee or Cabalas of some sort, if not other stuff.

>> No.3662951

>triple triad
>ost
>limit breaks
These are the only things I really enjoyed in ff8

>> No.3662975

>>3662923
Bowling, pool halls, lazer tag, and arcades have pretty much been condensed into single areas like Dave and Busters, Main Event, etc.

Although yes it's an "Arcade" it's no longer like the arcades of the 90's and before. They're now appealing to the lowest common denominator.

>> No.3662978

>>3662923
Also 6 malls are within 30 minutes of me and none have arcades. Movies you see a few machines.

>> No.3662979

>>3662975
>Although yes it's an "Arcade" it's no longer like the arcades of the 90's and before.
>They're now appealing to the lowest common denominator.

They always were in my view. I still see bowling and pool halls around plenty though.

>> No.3662981

>>3662975
>it's an "Arcade" it's no longer like the arcades of the 90's and before.

Thanks for proving my point.

>> No.3662984
File: 213 KB, 660x330, Character-Select-Squall-Leonhart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Squall got the bitches wet.

>> No.3662987

>>3662975
>it's an "Arcade" it's no longer like the arcades of the 90's and before.

That's the case with everything though. What is even your point? Arcades of the '90's weren't like arcades of the 80's either.

>> No.3663012
File: 160 KB, 696x881, ivankarogan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3662917
>that would have affected arcades as well

This doesn't contain any useful information. Of course discretionary income affects the entertainment industry. But, it takes deeper pools of discretionary spending to buy and invest in consoles- as opposed to a couple dollars at a time that it takes to go to the arcade. You're assuming there's no difference in value/expense over a long term and short term. Or you're merely overlooking that fact. 100 dollars spent in increments of five dollars at a time is different than 100 dollars spent in increments of 100 dollars at a time. Fewer families can spare 100 dollars at a time than can spare 5 dollars at a time. There is a very real difference- and that difference leads to more families being able to spend large sums of money in small increments over time. Thus, if discretionary funds dropped- we'd expect to see the kinds of small expenditures we see when patronizing an arcade- rather than the larger investments it takes to own a console. One of the ways that could/does/and did take place is poorer families buying the older generation of consoles- but even those takes bigger lump sum investments than a couple dollars here and there to be spent at an arcade. We can conclude- without controversy- that diminished discretionary funds would have kept revenue streams in the arcades.

>> No.3663021

>>3662981
It's an arcade if you go but the literal definition of the word but not what others in this thread are describing(video game arcades).

>> No.3663024
File: 24 KB, 200x174, pussydestroyer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3662914
>>3662923

I feel you're interpreting supermarket differently than i am. Try substituting department store. When have you been to a super Wal-Mart that didn't have an arcade? Put some more juice into that brain. Lay off the Mt. Dew.

As for malls- it's an empirical matter, surely. What good can anecdotal evidence do here? Go conduct a survey of all the malls and report back on what you find.

>> No.3663028

>>3662987
Arcades of the 90's are a lot closet to the spirit of arcades from the 70's and 80's.

It's like the difference between Dookie and American Idiot. It's night and day.

>> No.3663035

>>3663012
>But, it takes deeper pools of discretionary spending to buy and invest in consoles- as opposed to a couple dollars at a time that it takes to go to the arcade.

Only if you're short sighted or very rarely actually play games. If it's a regular hobby and you have any sense you will see how being nickel and dimed is bad in the long run compared to saving up.

I was raised on a farm by tightwad Scottish immigrants though, so I was regularly lectured on the value of a dollar and saving up etc etc. Maybe it's different for different people in different situations, but I was only about 12 when I realized it was way better to save money from odd jobs to buy that NES instead of spending it on Defender and PacMan.

>> No.3663036

>>3663024
>When have you been to a super Wal-Mart that didn't have an arcade?

Well I've never been into a super Wal-Mart so maybe that's the difference. Even regular Wal-Mart I avoid most of the time. When I think supermarket, I think of a grocery store.

>> No.3663047

>>3663024
I get that you're a first year college but maybe you should take your fedora off for a second kid and listen to someone who knows what he's talking about.

A room with a few cabinets doesn't make an arcade. If that was the case then I've got a fully functional arcade at my house and my work does as well.

Your small little shit town mall might have one but the majority of malls across the US do not have them. Unless we're going by your very liberal use of the term arcade, then yes the claw machine at the food court in your mall is an "arcade".

>> No.3663053

>>3663047
>A room with a few cabinets doesn't make an arcade.

Then what does?

>> No.3663064

>>3663053
A room with a few cabinets in the 90's

>> No.3663083

>>3663035
>only if you're short sighted

So in one case, you get spikes of excitement when you go to an arcade and play a game. in the other case, you get an initial spike of excitement when buying a console, then you get an initial spike in excitement every time you buy a new game, Between those spikes of excitement you get much smaller boosts in excitement when you're playing games you own.

So what if what the person (consumer) really just wants the spikes of excitement? Well, to get those spikes- you have to buy a new console or buy a new game. Or spend a few dollars every once in a while in an arcade. With this understanding, you can see why one would prefer either strategy. So there's no compelling economic psychological reason to prefer one pure strategy over the other. An optimal strategy would be a bit of both, right? You have your console, buy a new game infrequently, and go to the arcade infrequently. But, for those that could only afford to do one or the other- there doesn't seem to be a reason to prefer either strategy for happiness. The excitement spikes come with less money by visiting the arcade even though you may be getting less overall entertainment- the levels of entertainment derived from consoles is more stable- the spikes would occur less frequently given the expenses to buy a new game/ new console.

>> No.3663097

>>3663083
>So what if what the person (consumer) really just wants the spikes of excitement?

That's a pretty specific case. But I get the general point. Since I never liked arcades in the first place that never had much incentive. All I saw was how much bang I would get for my buck so to speak.

>> No.3663108
File: 112 KB, 700x1124, stillbest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3663047

aww I've insulted the HS D student, too dumb for college, who will never amount to anything. poor baby.

Seriously though, you're retarded. Literally. An arcade can mean whatever we want it to mean. A space with a few cabinets is sufficient. You can have an arcade in your home. You can have an arcade at work. That's what they're called. Sometimes more generally a "game room" but game rooms tend to include consoles, tabletop sports type games. If it's got cabinets- that space is an arcade.

>majority of malls

Strip malls don't generally have them barring the inclusion of a major department store. But the brick and mortar stores with parking decks etc have them. The mall in Chicago has an arcade, the local mall where I live has had an arcade for decades. Every giant mall i've visited in the southeast and midwest have had arcades. Maybe you should have a look around, document what you see. Let the empirical work speak for itself if you want to press this point. Otherwise, you're letting your retardation get the better of you.

I promise you bucko, you have every right to be intimidated by my intellect. Don't worry though, I'm used to dealing with mental slugs like you.

>> No.3663515

>>3663053
a business whose model is to provide arcade games(most of the time electronic) to play for a fee.

>> No.3663564

>>3663108
Posting a counter argument that is riddled with insults doesn't help your case. In fact it makes you less trust worthy.

>Seriously though, you're retarded. Literally. An arcade can mean whatever we want it to mean.

The word retarded now means, "far superior in intellect than I". We all know that's not what it means but you can't pick and choose what things mean.

> A space with a few cabinets is sufficient. You can have an arcade in your home. You can have an arcade at work. That's what they're called. Sometimes more generally a "game room" but game rooms tend to include consoles, tabletop sports type games. If it's got cabinets- that space is an arcade.

>An amusement arcade (often referred to as "video arcade" or simply "arcade") is a venue where people play arcade games such as video games, pinball machines, electro-mechanical games, redemption games, merchandisers (such as claw cranes), or coin-operated billiards or air hockey tables.

>venue noun ven·ue \ˈven-ˌyü\ locale 1; also : a place where events of a specific type are held
>locale noun lo·cale \lō-ˈkal\ : a place or locality especially when viewed in relation to a particular event or characteristic

So no. My office having two arcade cabinets in it doesn't make it an arcade. My work having and arcade cabinet in its break room doesn't make it an arcade. It all comes down to what the space is intended to be used for.

>Strip malls don't generally have them barring the inclusion of a major department store. But the brick and mortar stores with parking decks etc have them. The mall in Chicago has an arcade, the local mall where I live has had an arcade for decades. Every giant mall i've visited in the southeast and midwest have had arcades. Maybe you should have a look around, document what you see

You use anecdotal to support your argument here but in >>3663024 you ask what good can anecdotal evidence do here? So I ask you what good can anecdotal evidence do here

>> No.3663570

>>3663564
>I promise you bucko, you have every right to be intimidated by my intellect. Don't worry though, I'm used to dealing with mental slugs like you.

I get your young and you think this helps your argument but it doesn't. If/when you get to college I suggest taking a class in philosophy. It'll help you work on your logic and reasoning skills. Just some friendly elderly advice.

>> No.3663742

>>3656685
Something I found annoying is only being able to change the name of Squall, Riona, and Angelo

>> No.3663790

>>3663564
Retard can mean anything you want it to mean, I use it in the SAE colloquial sense.

>So no...

Do you think a dictionary will save you or bolster your point? That's how retarded you are. Low-tier highschool bullshit. There's a philosophical point you're not getting. Words get their meaning from users in a context. I can use any putative definition I want- so can you. Dictionaries aren't an authority on how we must or ought to use the words- but a usage guide- recommendations based on compiled observations. You'd know these things if you were smarter, highschool.

>anecdotal
Those are the rules. There are psychological reasons why you might not have noticed arcades and game spaces- namely you weren't looking for them. Further, you weren't applying my definition of arcade- so you wouldn't be counting arcades that I'd count (how could you if you've already consigned to disagree with my definition of arcade? Hint: you can't). If you and I agreed upon what an arcade is then we could argue how prevalent they are. Then we could talk about whether my thesis- that they have been decentralized is true. As it stands, your anecdotes can bring no real value against mine. But you aren't interested in that, you're here to defend your D student honor. You will fail. Keep believing that real fights can be had about definitions... like all the other dummies.

>> No.3663798

>>3663570
>taking a class in philosophy

This is funnier than you'll ever know. I can call you a stupid piece of shit all I want- it's only fallacious if for instance fire is hot because you're a stupid piece of shit. Maybe you'd know that if you bothered to take a class in philosophy. Faggot.

>> No.3663848

>>3663790
I can see I obviously struck a nerve since you are typing irrationally. It's alright kid. You'll get shit wrong a lot. You'll learn that once you leave high school.

Don't give up on your education though. You may not be all there right now but if you start applying yourself now you might stand a chance.

>> No.3663890

>>3663848
Ah, the butthurt of incomprehension. The internet at its finest. Grab your ball and go home, fatty.

>> No.3663892

>>3656685
it's fanbase.

>> No.3663895

>>3663890
Not butt hurt at all. I understand that you're frustrated and some of these ideas are hard for you to understand.

I'm just trying to be helpful junior.

>> No.3663906

>>3663895
Ah, the butthurt of incomprehension. The internet at its finest. Grab your ball and go home, fatty.

>> No.3663925

>>3663906
I can see somehow got personally hurt. I'm sorry if I hurt you or ruined your day. Cheer up though kid. It'll get better.

>> No.3663949

>>3663925

>> No.3664674

>>3663949
>acts like a colossal prick
>cries and says someone else is butt hurt

Nothing screams ruined like repeating yourself over and over like a nu-male faggot.

>> No.3664679

>>3663515
>a business whose model is to provide arcade games(most of the time electronic) to play for a fee.

Okay.

So how does that make what he was describing not an arcade by your definition?

>>3663047
>>3663024

>> No.3664686

>>3664674
It's near impossible to tell who's who at that point, but these all read like immature shitposts for the sake of being shitty.

>>3663895
>>3663890
>>3663848
>>3663906
>>3663949
>>3663925

>> No.3664695

FFVIII is the only pre-PS2 FF that I haven't bothered to finish. It doesn't even have anything to do with the junction system, which is whatever. I just found the story boring, characters bland and visuals uninspired. I'm not biased either, since I've grown up with the SNES games and only played VII, VIII and IX recently in quick succession.

Is there a particular point where it gets good?

>> No.3664706

>>3664695
I despise most of the characters and the story is awful, but you don't even like the aesthetic? That was what kept me going, was how unique the world looked.

If that's also not doing it for you though don't waste your time. There's no point in spending time playing something you don't enjoy.

>> No.3664714

>>3664706
I legitimately thought it looked worse than VII. I have difficulty putting it to words. The world map gave me eye cancer and everything outside of the Garden was too brown and realistic, I guess. I'd like to say I beat all the classic Final Fantasies but VIII just isn't doing it for me.

>> No.3664752

>>3664714
You really do have difficulty putting it into words. I don't even know what eye cancer is supposed to mean. Aesthetics is weird though and can be hard to articulate why something either appeals or doesn't.

I recommend dropping it and not looking back. The plot only gets worse and the systems are neat but nothing mind blowing, so just move on to something that does grab your attention and hold it.

>> No.3664764

>>3664714
The game picks up a lot near the end of disk one. If you aren't enjoying it by disk 2 just drop it

>> No.3664810

>>3664686
Yeah I agree. Sounds like 2 aspes that need to fuck back off to >>/v/

>> No.3665059

So I just beat Master NORG and I'm starting to enjoy this game more now. I'm getting more invested in it.

>> No.3665407
File: 62 KB, 532x502, hank_tired.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be in 8th grade when FF8 comes out
>very impressionable age
>try to do Squall's double belt look at school once
>mfw I think about that now

>> No.3665459
File: 182 KB, 900x582, 2011-08-24-Barfield-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3665407
that's the grace of /vr/-shame.
if you were younger you'd have memories of beltzipping it to the max considering the way character design has changed.

>> No.3665504

>>3656685
underage banned

>> No.3665736
File: 14 KB, 480x360, hqdefault (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3665407
Cheer up faggot, I had my hair cut like Guile when I was at school.

>> No.3666321

>>3665407
We were 12 when FF8 came out and it was all the rage. Some kids were joking to make themselves a scar on the face to look like him.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone, somewhere, actually did that.

we were also running around the school playground in groups of 3, each behind the others, mimicking what the first guy was doing

>> No.3666356
File: 14 KB, 300x217, nelson-muntz.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3665407
>>3665736
>>3666321

>> No.3666508
File: 790 KB, 464x316, 1345829684670.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3656685

Honestly, more than anything else in this thread, a piss poor translation. Squall is much more likeable and the story isn't nearly as batshit insane in the Japanese release. I like the cast and the junction system, however, and half of the goddamn people in this thread haven't touched the game. Give it a go and please stay away from the PC ports.

Kinda like how FF7 goes from "middle of the pack" to "upper tier" of FF games when played with a translation patch.

>> No.3666579

>>3666508
Are you retarded?

>> No.3666847

>>3666508
>Deliberately lies
>Complains about bad translations
>Uses translation patches, which are just as bad

You don't deserve to post Amdusias.

>> No.3666867

>>3657581
>Final Fantasy has always been science fiction.
No, it's always been fantasy you fucking retard.

You probably think Star Wars is science fiction too lmao.

>> No.3666880

>>3666508
weeeeeeeeb

>> No.3666884

>>3666867
Did you forget the tower of robots in the first game?

>> No.3667591

>>3658224
>Most of my circle of friends
you say tons of non-weebs but you use an anecdote about people who were friends with someone who browses an anime image board to prove that?

>> No.3667697

>>3658918

Looking up Mana, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire and Final Fantasy sales before FF7, the only ones that sold more than 500k copies in the West were FF1 and FF6, with roughly 800k copies each. Even then, the overseas sales of FF6 were considered disappointing. http://www.usgamer.net/articles/hironobu-sakaguchi-clears-the-air-on-final-fantasy-vi

FF7 sold around 5.5 million overseas.

>> No.3667748

>>3660387
Dont you ever defame God King Emperor Tiered FFVI

>> No.3667976
File: 91 KB, 895x853, I_ono_bout_dat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3665407
After 7 came out, I mimicked the way Cloud jumps (his arms swing upwards) and I remember this girl I liked told me "stop that".

>> No.3668019

>>3661436
>implying only jocks play sports game
I sucked at sports so i played sports vidya, in a way that would make it an rpg

>> No.3668343

>>3656738
Most people didnt play that shit the same way most people never played Ultima Underworld

>> No.3668475

>>3665407
I used to shrug the way the characters in FFVII do
I also tried to mimic moves I saw in tekken 3

>> No.3668662

>>3667591
Not him but he sort of has a point. Back then anime was even more niche than RPGs. I knew a bunch of people in highschool who played SNES and some RPGs but would look at you like a complete freak if you mentioned watching "japanimation".

>> No.3668947
File: 7 KB, 129x165, CxLy_4qUcAAIsI7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3657424

>> No.3670597
File: 935 KB, 200x154, laughing.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3667976
>stop that

>> No.3670621

>>3656727
>(Anime was just starting to get a foothold in the West

No, anime has been a thing in the west for ages.
It's the USA that was far behind the world in that regard.

>> No.3670676
File: 334 KB, 880x862, Ultimecia.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3656685
>Stupid juction system
>Drawing magic from enemies
>Melton on enemy + Aura on Squall = Renzokuken god mode

>> No.3670915

>>3656685
I have no problem with FFVIII's gameplay. I just think the whole amnesia time loop thing sounded a lot cooler on paper.

The game would have been 1000x better if Rinoa really was Ultimecia and the "love story" was handled better.