[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 77 KB, 620x427, 1359876027319.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
365169 No.365169 [Reply] [Original]

Do you guys think kids these days are missing out on video games of the past?

I personally don't think so. They have games of the present to play and they'll nostalgia over them in the years to come.

Remember how adults used to say that kids these days are missing out by playing video games? We're like them if we believe that all the fun lies in the past.

And now, for the sake of our nostalgia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwx5A8Z1n0

>> No.365192
File: 2 KB, 125x104, 1362865834187s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

But they were right. As much as we like these games, and as better as they are than most modern shite, we would have been much better playing outside. Just look at all those people who didn't play videogames

>> No.365221

I think theyre missing out on games that require serious skill, promote exploration, and have original characters/themes.

Seriously. The industry sucks now.

>> No.365229

>>365192
There are plenty of people who play video games and are normal. This whole "Vidya made me a loser" shit is a stupid excuse.

>> No.365237
File: 698 KB, 256x192, miles-point(d).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Imo, while there are some good games in the modern era, there's significantly more in the retro age. That doesn't mean you can't still have fun with modern games, hell I love me some Minecraft, TF2, etc...

>> No.365250

The internet itself has caused basically everything in the world to mold around it. The video game industry included.

>> No.365264
File: 942 KB, 500x283, 23487234.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ill imagine kids today will grow up and have theme parks and leddit sized forums devoted to the majesty of minecraft

>> No.365262
File: 77 KB, 184x227, welp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>365229

This.If you're a fat, lonely sack of shit who plays video games, the video games are never to blame.

Almost everyone I know plays video games and almost everyone I know is in a committed relationship/a landowner.

>> No.365273

I played outside a lot as a kid, but now I spend all day indoors, either at work, or sitting in the dark on /k/ or /vr/.

But that's because I had a fucking horrible childhood, not because playing outside became passe or that video games were virtual reality to me.

>> No.365274

>>365192
I somewhat agree with this. I don't think a kid should go without playing a game but you really need sunlight and move around a little while you are young and have the energy.

I honestly think the reason why I am so short is because my body didn't get what it needed while I was growing up.

As for OP it actually took me til I thought back to the classic NES games and why I thought they were so fun. I learn the journey is the fun part so I quit giving a damn about beating open world games like Skyrim or whatever and only enjoy the current moment. I think kids should work their way up from games that don't allow saving to games that does or else they may miss the point like I did for a short while.

>> No.365307

I think they're missing out somewhat, especially in the sense that old games tended to promote reflexes, hand-eye-coordination, problem solving abilities, memorization, and a lot of other things that can objectively be considered good. It was an active form of entertainment that was a hell of a lot better than just watching TV as far as brain stimulation goes.

Nowadays, games really aren't much more than interactive TV shows where you have to occasionally press a button to advance.

Ever notice how when we were kids, we'd brag about beating a game? Kids don't do that now... they just talk about finishing a game. They aren't challenges to be beaten anymore, they've been tailored so that anyone of any skill can finish them. I'd imagine that nowadays, a game that simply didn't allow people below a certain skill level to eventually finish it would be considered fundamentally broken. I still have NES games that I've owned since I was a kid and haven't beaten

>> No.365316
File: 61 KB, 199x224, 1361256549783.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Absolutely. Kids today have no patients whatsoever, they need to be told exactly what to fucking do, and where to go, and they RAGE when they lose or get game over because most modern games don't have lives.

I bought a bunch of old games for my ex-gf's kids for chirstmas... Zelda, Mario, etc.... they fucking hated them. Hopefully when they get older they might give them another chance, but as it stands now... the future is lost, and so is the past.

>> No.365319

>>365262
>>365229
I don't know. Have you ever heard the stories you parents have about their childhoods? I guarantee the shit they got up to on bombed out wastelands after the war are a thousand times more memorable than beating castlevania II in a week

>> No.365359

>>365316
>patients
>run-ons
>"gf"
>all is lost
I'm sorry but this whole post was just hilarious.

>> No.365375

I can't imagine trying to show someone today a game like DKC or older Mario....The games require lots of dying to get through, at least they did for me.

>> No.365406

If you don't play good (new or old) games when you're in elementary school you're pretty much fucked taste wise until you graduate high school.

>> No.365449
File: 25 KB, 345x194, 1342236790314.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>365319

Then again, that's a preposterously skewed comparison. The point is that enjoying video games hinders you in absolutely no way and if you're retarded enough to craft a self-fulfilling prophecy for them, get the fuck up and do something else with you're life.

>> No.365452

nostalgia circlejerk

>> No.365565
File: 69 KB, 500x500, 1364390090632.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>365452
>entire board is made for discussion of retro games

>> No.365605

Kids today are trying to getting away from school stress with social networks(aka. Facebook).

>> No.365660

>>365565
Liking retro-games does not make you a nostalgia fag.

>> No.365762

I'm not going to be one of those guys that says only old is good. It's still possible for something good to be made now, although less common.

Point being, it's generally applicable that people should be aware of the history of any interest they have. Same goes for movies, books, vehicles, etc.

It's like some douche claiming some terrible movie that came out in the past two years as the greatest ever, without having seen The Good The Bad and the Ugly, or The Godfather, or anything like that.

You have to be well versed in anything you do. So yes, I think they're missing out in more area than just this one.

>> No.365753

>>365660
This is a legit discussion about nostalgia.

>> No.365806

The volume of shit to good is about the same, I think. Retrospection narrows our view, just look at how many fucking garbage games there are on the NES.

>> No.365904
File: 51 KB, 440x448, mario-raccoon[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Meh, different strokes for different folks

I've played a few fun modern/casual games but can't really get into any of the newer "big" games like Mario and Sonic anymore for various reasons. I'm sure some child will enjoy them the way I did when I was a kid, though. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't understand the people who say "I'm gonna raise my child up on <game>." What if they don't like that game, or if they don't even play video games? I can only imagine how depressing it would be if my parents forced me to play only games they like.

>> No.365926

>>365904
>I don't understand the people who say "I'm gonna raise my child up on <game>." What if they don't like that game, or if they don't even play video games? I can only imagine how depressing it would be if my parents forced me to play only games they like.

Those are really sick and still very immature people that aren't ready to have children. I'll admit that I will definitely have the old games that I do have readily available for my children, but forcing them? Not only will that go the exact opposite of the way you'd hope, but it's pretty abusive.

>> No.366007

>>365319
Dicking around on a shrapnel-covered dirt pile is more memorable than a video game?
Let's not get into "my worthless waste of time is better than yours". The only way it's objectively superior is if you're honing a useful skill or talent, or improving yourself in another way.
I've had "memorable times" dicking around in parking lots with friends, and it was good, but I'm not some shitty elitist who pretends that all forms of real world entertainment are better than all forms of electronic entertainment. That's only something the most insecure idiot would actually believe.

>> No.366020

>>365274
>I honestly think the reason why I am so short is because my body didn't get what it needed while I was growing up.
Unless you were malnourished, that doesn't make any sense.
Not exercising enough isn't going to make you short.

>> No.366048

In this time of DLC, half-assed cash in games, shitty reboots, worthless achievements, bland linear military shooters, and in-game advertising, I do think kids of today are missing out on the simpler times, when a game was a game; you popped it into your console, played it, and enjoyed it. Your achievements were beating the game or whatever crazy shit you could think of. Tons of heart and soul poured into a lot of the games, each having to use increasingly creative techniques to get around system limitations. And, most of all, the full-swing of the Nintendo/Sega rivalry and all of the crazy commercials it unleashed.

>> No.366058

>>365904
>>365926
I think you folks are reading a little too far into what these people are saying. I don't think many people would actually force a kid to play a game they hate. I think they just mean heavily encourage is all.

>> No.366070

I remember penny arcade doing a series in 2001 or something on why gaming was turning to shit. Among the reasons cited were that gaming was for everyone now.

>> No.366095

>>366048
Another thing you have to keep in mind is that retro games were the birth of the industry. Kids these days are growing up on an over-monetized and heavily-marketed cash grab where guaranteed returns are more important than innovation or creativity. Retro game studios weren't afraid to experiment, and it showed.
It's a little different than "Things were better back in my day", because the entire economy and ecosystem around game development, game marketing, and gaming in general has shifted in a very corporatist direction.

>> No.366116

Games are different nowadays. Sure, videogames have always/will always be a business, be back in my day, you could really tell the game devs cared, and put a lot of love into their games. Now it's all about what will appeal to the masses and garner the most cash. Kids these days are missing out.

>> No.366149

Kids these days ARE missing out. The game industry isn't about fun anymore, it's just about making the most money. I wouldn't be surprised if COD's advertising budget was bigger than the budget for the actual game.

>> No.366161

>>366095
Yes, this is a good point, this was what I was trying to say.

Obviously, there were some good games back in the day as well as some bad ones, much like how nowadays there are some good games as well as some bad ones. Still, the overall attitude towards gaming is less "let's try to find new ways to innovate and push our system to its limits!" and more "let's try to find quick ways to make money and ignore consumers!".

Think: the children of today are going to be used to spending extra money to get a chunk of the game that should have already been there; it will be a natural occurrence for them. Oh well, perhaps I am just a crusty old man. It just saddens me to see a child's game collection consisting of "Military Shooter, Military Shooter 2, Military Shooter 3: Desert Edition, Terrorist Shooter: GOTY Edition, Terrorist Shooter: IN SPACE!", knowing that none of these games likely have the heart, soul, or commitment poured into them that the games I played as a child did.

>> No.366248

We had luck to be part of the birth of video games, we were there when that creative spark existed, that passion, that soul you feel in all the old games. A time when only people with passion COULD work on video games, since the internet didn't exist, there were no courses on anything video game related in universities.. Everything was in the air and self-taught.

I just hope there is something else kids these days can thoroughly enjoy, something with passion and soul. Our parents had classic rock and roll and movies, we had vidya, I really hope there's something for future generations.. I hope not everything yet has become sterilized by capitalism.

>> No.366272

They are missing out in the sense that our old school-generation had a lot more creativity. All the ideas were still new and fresh. Game studios could do more, experiment with new things. These days big studios like EA want their multimillion dollar investments back naturally, so all sorts of risk taking has become forbidden.

Also, most major video gaming innovations were thought up and created in the 80's/90's. We, in the prime of our youth, got to witness all the big break-troughs like the introduction of 3D graphics, first use of CG movie clips, and the slow acceptance of all the controversy created by some very politically incorrect games like Doom, Mortal Kombat and Carmageddon. These days games just repeat all the same stuff that studios already could do 15 years ago. I played Dead Island recently. It's a good game, now that the serious bugs have been worked out, but I couldn't get rid of the feeling that that game could've already been done 15 years ago with something like the Unreal engine for example.

I also don't care much about the modern day shooters, I've already played them all 20 years ago when they were still called Doom, and it slightly breaks my heart when now old games like Thief and the original Half-Life feature better enemy AI than most current offerings. The problem with today is that the business has stagnated. Big studios have too much to lose, so they refuse to get out of their comfort zone and kill all creativity.

>> No.366328

>>366149
yeah because in 1985 gaming companies were charities and didn't care about making money

>> No.366339

>>366058
Nah. I've seen people post in multiple places that they literally weren't going to allow their child to have any modern games. Even though on some level, that's a wise decision because of all the violence, they did in fact intend to force them.

>> No.366359

>>366328
Nobody's saying that. Stop relying on a sarcastic strawman to try to make a point.
Back then they had the impression that a better game would make more money, and that innovation was valuable. That's shifted into an industry where marketing is more important than development, and companies try to gauge how much they can get away with abusing their customers.

>> No.366391

>>365169

I was born in 1992, so the NES was before my time but i'm still so keen to get one and relive some of the classics and add it to my collection with other consoles I never got to experience as a kid. Whilst the journey for kids today will be much greater in length, I hope they for their sake they dig deep into the past.

>> No.366416
File: 1.16 MB, 1920x2560, 20130328_192306.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think some of them are missing out on playing older games, but not missing out in general. We live in an age where games are more easily accessible and you can get any kind of game you want. No matter what, there is a game out there for you.

The ones who don't really like games will play Call of Duty forever, but who cares? They're having fun.

The ones who are really into games, like us, will learn more about things like Steam or GoG, they'll go out and try old games, and they'll have a wide variety of tastes.

What parents do to influence them won't really matter, I think. My dad had me play a lot of beat 'em ups, shmups, and platformers as a kid, but nowadays I'm all about shooters, stealth, RPGs, and strategy games.

pic is one of the stupid things I waste money on <3

>> No.366437

I think it's actually the reverse. We have the internet, and not just any old 2000 internet. Kids have a grand access to old games through either buying them physically or emulating them.
I'm all for emulation as it allows you to play old games that you want without the hassle of searching down a few rare copies on Ebay.
As for kids playing only the latest FPS, didn't we all have a narrow tastes in vidya when we were kids and then it broadened out as we grew older?

>> No.366485

Kids these days will never know the joy we knew. Video gaming is dead.

>> No.366493

>>365237
but tf2 is shit.

>> No.366505

>>366359
That's the sign that the industry as a whole is maturing.

You're not in the big leagues until your customers become mindless cattle to be profited on.

Look at the evolution of every industry from cars and airlines to the film sector. As it grows and diversifies it gets flooded with lowest common denominator crap and niches are formed. For every McDonalds there's a mom and pop burger joint trying to push the envelope and everything inbetween.

>> No.366516

>>365237

Not true at all. Your nostalgia goggles are glued on tight. There's a lot of bullshit shovelware on every console even people's beloved NES.

Nintendo practically burst open the floodgates on shovelware.

>> No.366530

>>366516
Thank you for giving me the great idea to filter the phrase nostalgia goggles. /vr/ might actually be readable with that and "aged badly" filtered.

>> No.366552

I think I'll go with the argument that retro is better. Just because...well that's just my opinion man.

Personal Preference and nostalgia goggles, but I do think there were just generally more creative and fun games back then.

I'd much rather play my N64 over my PS3 anyday.

I don't know, I really can't get excited about modern games anymore, just because I don't care. How many Assassins Creed's are there now? I don't really care.

>> No.366601
File: 72 KB, 640x480, 076sonic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think the real reason why there aren't as many good games this generation is because of reasons pointed and not pointed out in this thread already : the need for more profit and the need to "push the technology to its limits." Due to these unrealistic expectations, the gaming industry as a whole is bubbling up, so to speak. With ballooning team sizes, mounting workloads and meager payoffs due to the unrealistic expectations, the ambitions to create something new and inspiring gets riskier and dampens the minds of people trying to bring to life their ideas. Not to mention a lack of art direction in modern games, but art alone can't make a game anyways. http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/07/02/the-rise-of-costs-the-fall-of-gaming/

>> No.366604

I don't see the video gaming industry ever recovering from this... ;_;