[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 62 KB, 1024x768, perfect_dark_wallpaper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
364903 No.364903 [Reply] [Original]

So, I'm playing Perfect Dark on an emulator - Project64 - with WASD and mouse support. It took some configuration, both in-game and out, but I got it working.

I'm also giving a serious attempt to playing Perfect Agent, the hardest difficulty, for the first time. When I first played this as a kid it was just unfeasible.

I just wanted to say that it's really intense. Playing on Perfect Agent is nothing like playing on the "normal" difficulty. No shields, health packs OR regerating health OR checkpoints means the stakes are extremely high, and one or two screw-ups puts you back at the start of a ten to twenty minute mission.

This results in a lot of frustration, having to replay missions on average like five times, but it also results in some pretty serious adrenaline towards the end of completing one.

So /vr/troopers, I guess my point is, if you haven't tried a Perfect Agent run, you should. And WASD + mouse PD is a little weird, but you get used to it.

Also, Perfect Dark thread.

>> No.365158

I spent many an afternoon with my friend playing multiplayer and tweaking around the bot settings. Good times

>> No.365196

Cool. I have to try it with mouse controls.

Im always so amazed at how ahead of its time this game way.
>cloacked enemies
>kick to your face makes you dizzy
>every weapon has interesting secondary fire
>Ps2 tier graphics
>12 player multiplayer
>co op where friend plays as enemy

>> No.365282

Game is incredible.

I replayed it a little bit last weekend on my old N64 with my 100% completed save file and came to remember how gruelingly hard the game could be at times.

I always loved how upping the difficulty added more missions and more interesting things to do. That was the best part of this Goldeneye and this game. As well as the TimeSplitter series

>> No.365290
File: 341 KB, 1022x770, SCR2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Criminally underrated everywhere apart from /vr/, which has a thread every day for it.
Years ahead of its time for consoles, and once you get used to the old controls, still one of the best designed shooters ever
poison knives in multiplayer

>> No.365486

Yeah it's god damn difficult on PA but I'm having fun with it. It's refreshing to be challenged in a shooter.

I like to shoot the AI in the chest to stun them and then in the head, esp. now that they're starting to get body armor (Area 51)

>> No.367807

>>365196

>YOU CAN SHOOT THE GUN OUT OF THE ENEMY'S HANDS

>AND THEY PROBABLY HAVE A BACKUP

also that multiplayer mode where one player can be a random mook.

>> No.367907

You should use this instead OP
Overclocks the emulated CPU to give you 60FPS and includes a keyboard/mouse injector for PD and Goldeneye

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=5373

>> No.368983

>>367907
not him, but sweet. I've always wanted to do PD with a mouse.

>> No.369086
File: 232 KB, 863x752, 1332812360769.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here

I really underestimated the difficulty of Perfect Agent

Only the dead can know piece from this suffering

>> No.369091

>>369086
whoops
peace