[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 435 KB, 1600x1200, 5thgen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3633998 No.3633998 [Reply] [Original]

I've made an updated 2016 version of this 5th generation hardware reference guide.

If you have any feedback post it here. If required, updated versions of the image will be posted in this thread.

Please note that the chart isn't meant to exhaustively cover every aspect of the consoles' hardware. Its purpose is to give people who don't know too much about the 5th gen hardware some rough idea what the consoles were capable of and their strengths/weaknesses.

>> No.3634004

>>3633998
No one cares about hardware nerd, they only care about games

>> No.3634006

>>3633998
I sense some slight bias in favor of Playstation when you interpret what the specs mean. Other than that, it's not too bad.

>> No.3634013

>>3634006
I think it may seem that way because the Playstation was certainly the most well rounded/balanced hardware of that generation even if the Saturn and N64 had places they could excel in.

>> No.3634041

>>3634013
I'll assume you're the author. No, I think it may seem that way because you go out of your way to make excuses for Playstation's shortcomings. See, for example when you talk about storage media, you explain Saturn has a processor "just for managing CD-ROM loading", which is mostly true, but then, when you're talking about the cons in Playstation's case, you state explicitly that "most games wait for a scene to end before loading" because "there's no extra CPU to help it out here, the main CPU has to coordinate all of it". I believe excuses aren't a function of hardware, so that'd be you and your bias. If you wanna keep it that way, it's your chart, your problem, but I reckon you posted the way you did because you wanted feedback in order to be as impartial as possible.

>> No.3634068

>>3634041
>when you're talking about the cons in Playstation's case, you state explicitly that "most games wait for a scene to end before loading" because "there's no extra CPU to help it out here, the main CPU has to coordinate all of it". I believe excuses aren't a function of hardware

I don't understand. I thought that the statement was critical of Playstation. Not sure how you can interpret it as being in favor of PlayStation or an excuse. Where's the excuse?

>> No.3634252

>>3634004
The hardware actually interests me more than the games themselves, but I was also diagnosed autistic so that makes me the exception rather than the rule.

Anyway, how different would gaming be today if Nintendo simply used CDs for the N64 without changing any of its other specs? Would they have still driven away developers with their attitudes towards censorship and development tools?

>> No.3634441
File: 415 KB, 892x1789, PS-Saturn-N64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3634480

>>3634441
Much better. No opinions here.

I hate charts like OPs because they always, ALWAYS demonstrate a favorite.

>> No.3634564
File: 469 KB, 1600x1400, 5thgen2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3634480
If you just want raw specs 'untainted' by an interpretation, you might prefer the other chart.

>> No.3634993

>>3634480
tech specs generally mean jack by themselves. In lieu of benchmarking, you need qualitative analysis to have a meaningful comparison.

bias is bad, sure, but you can cross-reference info and draw your own conclusions. shitting on the whole endeavor is ignorant and lazy.