Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 255 KB, 1642x1200, oot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3629408 No.3629408 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

It's Ocarina of Time's 18th birthday. Say something nice about it.

>> No.3629416
File: 100 KB, 600x800, e375cef8ef9fd4daad5de002da4a31ba.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3629416

>>3629408
Ruto has given me many a boner

>> No.3629417

You were the last good entry in a franchise that was a mistake from the onset.

>> No.3629420
File: 49 KB, 480x448, zelda1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3629420

>>3629408

Zelda was better when it was in 2D.

>> No.3629428
File: 660 KB, 1275x1732, OOTconcept.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3629428

It is the best game ever made.

>> No.3629457 [DELETED] 
File: 188 KB, 1593x623, proof.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3629457

>>3629408
Overrated as fuck and a scared cow of /vr/.

I'll get banned for saying this, check the archive.

>> No.3629462

>>3629457

How does it feel to be a contrarian?

How does it feel to know your opinion is unpopular and also wrong?

>> No.3629474 [DELETED] 
File: 188 KB, 1593x623, proof.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3629474

told you I would be banned

fuck you nintoddler janny, suck my pizza flavored hotpocket dick you sensitive fuck

>> No.3629493

>>3629408
Still entertaining today, although it's showing its age.

Then again there's plenty of things to do if you like speedrunning

>> No.3629494

it wasn't the worst game on the console since majoras mask exists

>> No.3629510
File: 42 KB, 640x440, MM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3629510

Feel like I'm the only person who didn't enjoy the game. Would rather play Majora's.

>> No.3629525

Better then Majora.
One of top 5 N64 GAMES,

A classic, that showed potential of 3D

>> No.3629527

OoT is overrated and a sacred cow of /vr/

>> No.3629531
File: 10 KB, 259x194, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3629531

>>3629527
No you retard, it's a scared cow.

>> No.3629597

>>3629531
I always thought the sacred forest meadow was actually the scared forest meadow when I played OoT as a kid. Similarly I thought the Deku Palace in Majora's Mask was the Deku Place.

>> No.3629607

>>3629597
I thought Koholint was Kohontlit for years.

>> No.3629614
File: 435 KB, 1249x1600, Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_art.01[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3629614

>>3629408
It was, and still is, amazing.

Sure, it has a couple of wrinkles here and there, but it still remains one of the few games that can legitimately be labeled as legendary.

>> No.3629617

10/10 IGN. Its a perfect game and I want it to have my baby.

>> No.3629620

One of the most important and influential games ever made.

The tween tourists on this board will never understand what it was like to grow up on 2D gaming and then play this.

>> No.3629663

got the gold cart on release day, played the shit out of it.

Probably still in my top 5 games all time

>> No.3629669

>>3629614
I had this poster on my wall back in the late '90s.

>> No.3629695

>>3629408

3 heart no shield run is the best way to experience the game. Unless you're emulating.

>> No.3629703

So, how's the remake?
I have it sitting on a shelf collecting dust

>> No.3629715

>>3629510
I don't think Majoras would be as good if Oot hadn't come first. It set the whole background.

>> No.3629716

Let us look back on the years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ljFjlwU28

>> No.3629717

>>3629703
Excellent. Can be had for $20 new.

>> No.3629718

>>3629408
something nice about it.

>> No.3629720

>>3629717

I remember a year ago or so OOT3D physical was hard to come by and people started actually paying a lot for copies online.

>> No.3629723

>>3629703
It's pretty much the same game unlike the Majora's Mask remake.

30 fps is fantastic.
3D is fine, I used it a lot during cutscenes.
Gyroscope aiming is a lot better than I expected it to be.
Replaying bosses is a nice addition.
The new hint system is shoved off to the side and easily ignore-able, fine for dumb kids I guess.

The new graphics really shine in some places but a lot of people don't like the "cartoony" graphics.
But it makes sense because the 3DS can't do realistic graphics today like the N64 could do back then.

>> No.3629728

>>3629723
The remake also tightens the gameplay in a few areas, notably making the iron boots an inventory item is less annoying and the markings along the walls make the water temple more intuitive.

>> No.3629732

>>3629607
I always read it as Konholit.

>> No.3629748

>>3629723
>Gyroscope aiming is a lot better than I expected it to be.

This, it makes horseback aiming MUCH better. And in general it's just better to aim manually than with the stick (although you can do both, which is also good since not always you might feel like moving around).

The implementation of the gyroscope to aim was suggested by Shiggy, so he's not always a grumpy old man with bad ideas as most people today seem to think.

>> No.3629931

>>3629695
How do you do the puzzles in the Spirit Temple that require the Mirror Shield?

>> No.3629959

>tfw got this game on Christmas Eve in '98 and stayed up all night playing it
>listening to the forest music while snow is lightly falling and drinking hot chocolate with the fireplace going

Most comfy Christmas ever. Thanks for the good times OoT. glad to see you legal now :^)

>> No.3629982

>>3629614
>I always thought the sacred forest meadow was actually the scared forest meadow when I played OoT as a kid. Similarly I thought the Deku Palace in Majora's Mask was the Deku Place.

Agree. I've replayed it a couple times in the past two years and it hasn't lost any of its charm. For sure one of the best games ever, a titan that matches its cousin game SM64 in scope, ambition and execution.

>> No.3630001

Ocarina of Time is honestly a testament to how good a game Nintendo could make in spite of the N64 controller.

>> No.3630005

>>3630001
>in spite of the N64 controller.

?

>> No.3630038

>>3629408
pretty much the best game ever.

If you play games a lot and you havent played it, ...then.... your opinion is sort of void

>> No.3630323

Best game from my childhood in New York. I played it nonstop alongside Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII. Long into 1999 when other kids were saying it was 'wack' because they're 'mad old', I was still replaying them. Kept replaying FFVIII as well.

>> No.3630491

>>3630005
The N64 controller is god-awful and it's a real shame that OoT had to be designed around it.

The only real way to change the camera in OoT is through moving Link and then Z-targeting, which is rather clumsy, especially when you have to immediately re-adjust the camera through Z-targeting again. A second-stick for camera controls would have fixed this. The C-buttons are rather tiny and not really suited for regular use as action buttons for sub-weapons. The L button goes completely unused due to its position on the controller.

Great game, but the controller holds it back from what it could have been.

>> No.3630565

>>3629408
This game is really important to me. Out of all the games that i grew up with, this one really had an impression on me. I find this game to be magical and wonderful. The end credits of this game never fails to make me cry. It really just brings me back to being a young impressionable kid exploring Hyrule and all of it characters, saving the world from gannon as the hero of time. This game will always hold a special place in my heart even as I grow more disillusioned and cynical.

>> No.3630569

>>3629408
It is nice game

>> No.3630576

Now it's legal to have sex with it.

>> No.3630586

>>3630491
Cmon nao
I actually like it more than the playstation controller

>> No.3630590
File: 901 KB, 2755x1402, 1167298_orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3630590

>>3630576
If I had impregnated someone while playing it for the first time, my child would now be allowed to vote.

Holy shit where did the time go

>> No.3630591

>>3630491
The whole 'N64 controller is terrible' meme needs to die.

It was a fine controller with a variety of different configurations for the player to hold in.

And Nintendo always build their games around their controllers, not the other way around.

At that time, there wasn't a 3D gaming experience which allowed the amount freedom and precision that OoT did. The player felt empowered rather than trying to fight against awkward controls. And for early 3D gaming, that was a triumph in player/controller amalgamation.

Not to mention that the entire controller doubles as a musical instrument and is so seamlessly woven into the game play you don't even consider how ingenious it is.

>> No.3630601 [DELETED] 

I made this thing.

>> No.3630602
File: 3.87 MB, 1000x5883, scribblehatch.tumblr.com 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3630602

I made this thing.

>> No.3630603
File: 3.63 MB, 1000x5883, scribblehatch.tumblr.com 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3630603

>>3630602
And I still don't know what the resolution limit is.

>> No.3630604

>>3629510
this is a fairly popular opinion. but its also a wrong opinion.

>> No.3630607

>>3630491
the n64 controller has an excellent layout. assigning a stick to camera control was unheard of at the time. the game works perfectly without it.

>> No.3630608

>>3630569
4u

>> No.3630612

>>3630591
It was not a fine controller. The controller was one of the biggest reasons why Nintendo failed to move N64 hardware aside from the games. The controller scared people off with its three prongs and strange button configuration. It was a massive departure from the SNES controller whereas the PS1 controller was pretty much the SNES controller but with handles.

>And Nintendo always build their games around their controllers, not the other way around.
Which is a serious mistake, as can be evidenced by some of their Wii games like Mario Galaxy, some of their DS games like the DS Zeldas, most of their Wii U games, etc. Desigining games around a controller frequently means making decisions regarding game design you SHOULDN'T make.

Even in 1996 I felt like I was fighting with the N64 controller when playing SM64. I felt the same when I played OoT two years later. I knew right away that the games were awkward to control because I had been playing PC games before them.

>>3630607
>assigning a stick to camera control was unheard of at the time.
Goldeneye 007 supported it in 1997. PC games of the time supported mouse-controlled cameras.

>the game works perfectly without it.
It does not. It would be vastly improved through the addition of second-analog camera control (as can be seen from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess a generation later) and bigger buttons/a better button layout for sub-weapons.

>> No.3630650

Ocarina of time is a nice game and I enjoy playing it

It doesn't deserve to be put in every retarded top 10 gamez EVAR lists created by every normie who did and didn't play own an n64 as a 10 year old

It also doesn't deserve to be hated on by contrarian hipsters who like to bash it for being popular but also like to suck MM's cock despite it's flaws

Ocarina of time is a very good game and I like it a lot

>> No.3630658

>>3630591
Despite the fact that the lack of symmetry makes it uncomfortable to hold for more than an hour striaght

Despite the fact that vigorous use of the thumbstick completely ruins it (which is necessary to win in games like smash and Mario party)

Despite the fact that sega had released their own 3D controller for knights in 1995 which effectively allowed players to chose between analogue and dpad controls without requiring massive departure from what was already known
Don't get me wrong, i get what they were trying to do. I don't really think Nintendo anticipated the full "EVERYTHING MUST BE 3D" meme that came with the late 90s and so they wanted to give developers options to develop for a more traditional 2D playstyle (with the two outer handles) or if they wanted to focus on 3d, the middle handles and the rightmost handle.

Nintendo really could have benefited by selling a second smaller style controller later in the consoles life similar to the hori mini pad once is was apparent that the vast majority of games for the system were going to be in 3d and use the control stick.

>> No.3630676
File: 407 KB, 500x199, 1444319379430.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3630676

>>3629408
The music is great and it has spoopy ghosts.

>>3630658
Pretty sure I held it for hours straight as a kid.

>> No.3630886

My favorite game of all time and responsible for many of my interests and sparked much of my imagination. Plus it's as old as me.

>> No.3630895

>>3630491
then play the gamecube or virtual console version. Literally the only c stick option you need is up cause x,y, and z take right, left, and down respectively.

>> No.3630905

>>3630650
those people who praise Majoras Mask aren't even fans to begin with which is the sad thing. Most of them don't even know anything about the game that isn't "edgy" shit. Ocarina of Time has the whole 10/10 problem but that's worn off now.

>> No.3630992

>>3630886
>Plus it's as old as me.

>> No.3631009

>>3630992
I'm glad young people still enjoy it.
When Twilight Princess came out, my friend also bought OoT on the VC. He hated it because the graphics were worse.

>> No.3631068

>>3629408
best console game of all time

>> No.3631105

>>3630658
>Despite the fact that the lack of symmetry makes it uncomfortable to hold for more than an hour striaght
Must be hard to play kb+m games if you need symmetry to be comfortable.

>> No.3631587

>>3630676
>The music is great
Yep, only thing I really like about it.
I guess I liked Z-targeting in metroid prime as well, and apparently it gets credit for it even though it wasn't the first to do it? I dunno.

>> No.3631601
File: 100 KB, 634x951, 1479036579062.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3631601

>>3630658
>the lack of symmetry makes it uncomfortable to hold for more than an hour straight

The fuck are you talking about? I fucking played Mario 64, Ocarina and Goldeneye for fucking hours and hours on end.

>> No.3631621

>>3629408
Probably the best incorporation of music in a story-based game ever.

>> No.3631625

>>3629723
>3DS can't do realistic graphics like N64 could then

What do you mean by this? Neither could render realistic graphics, and the 3DS is more graphically capable in every way. It could easily play a straight port of Ocarina, but it's more detailed and runs at a higher frame rate. Any change in art style was purely out of aesthetic choice.

I need to stop thinking about your retarded post now.

>> No.3631632

>>3630491
This has got to be one of the stupidest posts I've read on /v/ in a while.

>actually advocates dual-analog for camera control

Stop.

>> No.3631640

>>3630612
>It would be vastly improved through the addition of second-analog camera control

I do not agree.

I hate the "welp, let's just let the player move his thumb to the second stick to control the camera at all times and be done with it" attitude that most developers adopted in the PS2 era.

I enjoy much more the approach in Ocarina of Time.
And concerning GoldenEye, while PC games support mouse aim, they didn't support analog movement. The 1.2 Solitaire control scheme is just like that, in that the C-buttons act like WASD and the analog stick like the mouse.

>> No.3631645

>>3631625
He means that the 3DS wouldn't impress anyone with the level of realism it could pull, yet the weaker N64 did in its day.

He of course fails to realize that the style in Ocarina of Time always was cartoony.

>> No.3631671

>>3629408
It is the real Citizen Kane of video games.

No other games deserve that title.

>> No.3631673

It is the only somewhat fun Zelda.

Still a piece of shit kids game.

>> No.3631675

>>3631673
C'mon man, effort.

>> No.3631681

>>3631625
You're the one who missed my point and somehow I'm the retard?

>> No.3631683

>>3631671
I agree with this even though its popular to be contrarian about how great OoT is. It did a bunch of new things, did them really well, and simultaneously managed to expand on what was already one of the greatest game series' of all time. It was a product of its time in that regard, but even if you ignore how revolutionary it was it still holds up as an excellent game.

>> No.3631703

>>3629408
Original Fire Temple song was cool as hell.

>>3629510
This is the way I've felt since both game's releases. Truth be told, I've never put a whole lot of thought into why I don't like OoT. I know why I love MM, but OoT was always missing something. The only fun I had with it was on 3DS, but it wasn't significant.

>> No.3631747
File: 30 KB, 621x465, trex.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3631747

>> No.3631756

it's better than Majora's Mask

>not best Zelda though not even close

>> No.3631803
File: 671 KB, 2988x4440, 20160718_094721_HDR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3631803

>>3631747
Bitch, get on my fucking level.

>> No.3631814

>>3631803

>american godzilla

Hmmm.. I'll stick to my JP t-rex for now.

>> No.3631817
File: 72 KB, 351x398, 7UmJhoc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3631817

>>3631814
JAPAN ACCEPTED HIM AND SHIT

>> No.3631821

>>3631817

Anyway this thread is for OOT, you posted Toon Link, anon.

They "accepted" him by making Shin Godzilla

>> No.3631848

>>3631671
I would say Super Mario 64 deserves it more.

>> No.3631872

My high school girlfriend make fan fictions of me as Link

I'll still replay it every once in a while

>> No.3631880

>>3631640
>I hate the "welp, let's just let the player move his thumb to the second stick to control the camera at all times and be done with it" attitude that most developers adopted in the PS2 era.
Locking-on via Z-targeting is necessary and was a very good thing, I am not arguing that. I am arguing that Z-targeting being the only real way to reorient the camera in OoT is bad, and it is.

>while PC games support mouse aim, they didn't support analog movement.
This was not the argument. The argument was "analog camera controls" were unheard of when OoT came out, and I stated it wasn't by mentioning Goldeneye and PC games.

>> No.3631970

It was the most immersive, fully "real" seeming world when I first played it. Amplified by the ability to see how characters aged and changed over the course of seven years. I still adore the game and the sense of life that Hyrule had.

>> No.3631990

It's... better than the quick cash-in clusterfuck that was Majora's Mask.

That's about the only thing good I can say about it.

>> No.3631994

I mowed lawns all summer just to buy and N64 to play that game--already having beaten it at a friend's house.

>> No.3632115

>>3631601
>played
played being the key word. It might because of my meaty man hands but as an adult i can't play the game for more than an hour without it being uncomfortable

>>3631105
you know what i mean, don't be a faggot

>> No.3632132

Played the hell out of this as a kid but only because there was no N64 offering from the Metroid franchise. I don't like Weird Medieval, i like Weird Sci-Fi

>> No.3632291

>>3632115
>you know what i mean,
Not really, the fuck does "lack of symmetry" mean if not that it's not symmetrical?

>> No.3632374

>>3632291
The lack of symmetry makes the controller uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time because your center of gravity is offset, which is fine for small periods of gaming but over long periods of time will you you constantly readjusting trying to find a comfortable position to hold it in

This isn't helped when you grow up because larger hands have less wiggle room to change position

>> No.3632375

>>3629408
It is awful and has aged absolutely terribly. The only people who still like it today are 30+ neckbeards wearing extremely thick rose tinted nostalgia goggles.

>> No.3632381

>>3631994
THIS summer?

>> No.3632413

>>3632375
Spot the clueless tween. No school today?

>> No.3632417
File: 200 KB, 850x656, this is you.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3632417

>>3632413

>> No.3632470
File: 1.14 MB, 1010x905, The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_Ocarina_of_Time_3D_(PAL).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3632470

The ds remake of the is game is the best game ever!

>> No.3632473

>>3629931

By glitching through the game of course

>> No.3632626

>>3632470
I will say it's actually really nice. I miss the muddy prerendered scenes, but the back alley looks awesome in 3D.

>> No.3632639

>>3632375
Pathetic shit-tier bait.

>> No.3632648

>>3632639
See >>3632417
Retro gamers really can't accept other people's opinions can they?

>> No.3633350

>>3632648
Because it's not an opinion, there's fuck all argument, zero attempt at discussion or even a witty insight.

It's a slur against entirety of this board and, in a fucking thread celebrating the game, it's pure provocation and a piss-poor attempt at trolling.

>> No.3633595

It's over-hyped but at least there's at least some legitimate reasoning for it.

>> No.3633762

>>3633350
this

>> No.3634160

>>3633350
>I like this game I played as a child, which doesn't hold up today, therefore everybody must like it

>> No.3634185

>>3629959

Dayum. That feels max comfy just by reading it.
Has pretty much everything to become a smassive black hole of comfy.

>> No.3634190

>>3630602
>>3630603
Make porn.

>> No.3634212

A good addition to the series, one of the last good ones for me(I haven't been into any LoZ game since Windwaker).

Also, OOT was great for poorfags like me because it had so much replay-ability. I beat it constantly for years on end, probably 30ish times by the time I was 10 years old.

>> No.3634263

>>3634160
>doesn't hold up today

Nintendo re-released OoT on 3DS a couple of yeas ago with virtually no changes to the gameplay whatsoever (apart from some minimal changes to the inventory).

Not bad for a 20 year old game.

OoT is of such high quality that Nintendo have been trying to recapture that magic sauce with each new flagship Zelda title since the turn of the century.

See, that's the thing about opinions; everyone is entitled to an opinion but not all opinions are equal. Some opinions hold more water than others because they are backed up with reason and logic.

So fuck you.

>> No.3634280

>>3634263
Just because you think janky camera controls, forced z-targetting, "waiting for enemies to stop their preset fight animations thus opening themselves up to your one attack before rinse and repeat", all count towards "holding up", doesn't mean everyone does.

>> No.3634287

>>3630602
>>3630603
>>3634190
Still pissed they gave Ruto a seashell bikini top in the 3DS version.

>> No.3634309

>>3629417
The franchise was a mistake or OOT? Either way that doesn't make sense, seeing as you consider at least 2 of its games to be good.

>> No.3634313

>>3629408
Is it the anniversary of the UK release? I got my copy at 8am sharp in my local Electronics Boutique (which then became a Game, and now is an e-liquid shop).

>> No.3634390

>>3630602
>>3630603
You can literally make a fanmade Zelda manga with a style as good as this.

>> No.3634413

>>3634313
11 Dec for the UK. I remember the game being in quite short supply on release.

>> No.3634418

>>3634413
Yeah that sounds right actually. It was around the time uni broke up for Christmas. In fact, I think it was the last day and I didn't bother going in because I wanted to play the game.

>> No.3634420

>>3634418
Jesus fucking Christ grandpa, go take your pills.

>> No.3634424

>>3634420
>36
So what kind of age did you expect from a retro video game board?

>> No.3634425

>>3634424
this board seems mostly populated by teens who only know retro games from youtube and emulators

>> No.3634440

>>3634425
Well, that is just a false assumption to make...m8

>tfw 30

>> No.3634461
File: 202 KB, 417x356, video games.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3634461

>>3634425
>>3634440
32 here.
Death to Let's Play-ers.

>> No.3634474

OoT invented GTA and the whole sandbox genre.

>> No.3634559 [DELETED] 
File: 103 KB, 400x246, Saria.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3634559

>>3629408
It's okay to stick it into Saria, right?

>> No.3634623
File: 1.51 MB, 480x360, shockinglifts.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3634623

>>3630612
>Even in 1996 I felt like I was fighting with the N64 controller when playing SM64.
that's just because you're bad at the game. the controller is great for SM64 and the joystick is perfectly precise.

>> No.3634635 [DELETED] 

>>3634280
>"waiting for enemies to stop their preset fight animations thus opening themselves up to your one attack before rinse and repeat"
Every single person who says this is shit at video games. You don't have to wait to attack enemies, you stupid fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGAz1C4D480

There are other options too, such as using deku nuts. Try actually experimenting with the gameplay. There's plenty of depth to combat and numerous ways to approach it.

>> No.3634642 [DELETED] 

>>3634280
>"waiting for enemies to stop their preset fight animations thus opening themselves up to your one attack before rinse and repeat"
Every single person who says this is shit at video games. You don't have to wait to attack enemies, you stupid fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGAz1C4D480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xINau9v5Ii0

Try actually experimenting with the gameplay instead of playing them like a half retarded zombie. There's plenty of depth to combat in OOT and numerous ways to approach it.

>> No.3634651

>>3632115
Not my problem you're too fucking fat to hold on to shit for more than 15 minutes.

>> No.3634672 [DELETED] 

>>3634280
>"waiting for enemies to stop their preset fight animations thus opening themselves up to your one attack before rinse and repeat"
Every single person who says this is shit at video games. You don't have to wait to attack enemies, you stupid fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGAz1C4D480 [Embed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xINau9v5Ii0 [Embed]

Try actually experimenting with gameplay instead of playing games like a half retarded zombie. There's plenty of depth to combat in OOT and numerous ways to approach it.

>> No.3634676

>>3634635
>>3634642
>>3634672
OKAY. WE GET IT.

>> No.3634701

>>3634280
>"waiting for enemies to stop their preset fight animations thus opening themselves up to your one attack before rinse and repeat"
Every single person who says this is shit at video games. You don't have to wait to attack enemies, you stupid fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGAz1C4D480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xINau9v5Ii0

Try actually experimenting with gameplay instead of playing games like a half retarded zombie. There's plenty of depth to combat in OOT and numerous ways to approach it.

>> No.3634824

>>3634280
Jesus anon, I've gone through this whole thread, but your post made me look up because it sounded like something straight out of /v/.

You specifically misrepresent his argument by focusing on things he wasn't even talking about. I shouldn't even be responding to your post, but god damn man, I can only hope you're "p-pretending to be retarded h-haha" and don't actually do shit like this on the regular.

>> No.3634851

>>3630992
Lol it came out in 1996, I was born then (20) and I played it growing up on my older brothers n64

>> No.3634867

>>3634824
>focusing on things he wasn't talking about
He didn't talk about ANY game play mechanics, doesn't mean what I pointed out is invalid criticism. If anything, my post is more valid as I actually discussed something pertaining to practically playing the game, not just "my opinion is better than yours because I've loved Nintendo since the 80s". Take your own advice.

>> No.3634884

>>3634867
What advice? I can only assume English is not your first language at this point.

I know it's crazy when people make other points besides the one's you're specifically talking about, but it will happen again in the future; much like how you're, again, mis-representing someone's point to fit your weird nipple narrative.

It's like this...
>Man this game handles like ass
>Yeah, but it was a lot of fun, people loved the story/setting, etc, and that's why they're trying to recapture the old feel
>NO NO NO UR WRONG BCUZ U DIDNT EVEN TALK ABOUT THE GAME FEEEEEEL

Like damn nigga.

>> No.3634889

>>3634884
>it's OK for people to respond to you with points that don't match what you are saying
>it's not OK for you to respond to other people with points that don't match what they are saying

>> No.3634891

>>3634889
So are you ever going to acknowledge the reality that, despite your opinions, a remake was still made to capitalize on the clear interest in the game?

>> No.3634895

>>3634884
Ah, my old acquaintance "ad hominem". Truly, the final strategy used by those who have no actual response.

>> No.3634896

>>3634891
>man, this game does not hold up well, a bunch of the mechanics are dated and the camera was a pain the ass
>"Y-YEAH BUT MUH ATMOSPHERE. THEY HAD TO PORT IT TO DO SO THE NOSTALGIA FAGS COULD BUY IT"

>> No.3634898

>>3634701
underrated post.

>> No.3634936

It's the beta for the best game ever, Majora's Mask, so happy birthday I guess

>> No.3634951

>>3634936
Correction: MM is a shitty romhack of the best game ever, OoT.

>> No.3634953

>>3634951
See
>>3632417

>> No.3635061

>>3634701
crouching works with Iron Knuckles I realized not too long ago. If you are a bit to the left of it the axe will never hit you and since you are so close the damn thing won't move.

>> No.3635204

>>3634951
Correction: They're both shitty 3D rehashes of LttP and LA (respectively).

>> No.3635253

>>3634420
Fuck sake dude, show a little a respect. That mother fucker LIVED this shit. You're just a tourist.

>> No.3635258

>>3635204
>They're both shitty 3D rehashes of LttP and LA

You know nothing about video games. Why are you even here?

>> No.3635741
File: 84 KB, 439x518, 1420948010837.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3635741

>>3629408
It still has a great atmosphere, and that in turn inspired a lot of great shit from turn-of-the-millenium internet. Anybody remember that Gists of Power fangame? I'm still trying to remember what fansite my brother found it on.

Also Malon is hot.

>> No.3635785

>>3629420
>>>3629408 (OP)
>Zelda was better when it was in 2D.
The opposite is true. Zelda just got better in 3d. You're too old.

>> No.3635791

>>3635253
Go die of alzheimer, granny

>> No.3635794

>>3635204
>LttP
Ew. You have sense of style.

>> No.3635814

>>3629408

Overrated flawed gem. It certainly is not the best game ever made. The music was great though.

>> No.3635819
File: 101 KB, 600x506, loz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3635819

Goddess Tier:
Adventures of Link

High Tier:
Link's Awakening
Hyrule Fantasy

Mid Tier:
Majora's Mask
Oracles of Ages + Seasons

Low Tier:
Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time

Lulz Tier:
CDi games

>> No.3635828
File: 65 KB, 226x238, 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3635828

>>3629416
Loli Zelda has given me many a boner.

>> No.3635834

>>3635828
too bad shes about that /ss/ instead of that big gerudo cock

>> No.3635872
File: 371 KB, 669x602, happy scientist.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3635872

>>3635834
>too bad

>> No.3635878
File: 8 KB, 211x193, 1470802555056.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3635878

>>3635872
>not being bout dat BGC

>> No.3635880

>>3635791
>Go die of alzheimer, granny
>die of alzheimer

What a fucking embarrassment you are. Your parents must despise you.

>> No.3635891

>>3635878
Shit taste in fetish tbqh fäm

>> No.3635892

>>3635878
What are you, why so obsessed with big penises, you're not homo are you?

>> No.3635895

The Zelda fanbase is horrible.

>> No.3635898

>>3635892
Is it homo to appreciate long and thick desert dweller dong?

>> No.3635901

>>3635898
Both homo and haram

>> No.3635906

>>3634701
thanks for this post,
the world is a better place now.
in before, Breath of the Wild when?

>> No.3635924

>>3635901
if such a simple thing is homo, than I don't want to be hetero

>> No.3635928

>>3635924
then you, sir, can go fuck yourself

>> No.3635936

>>3635928
it's not gay to appreciate a lil anal play

>> No.3635939

>>3635936
of course not

>> No.3635947

>>3629408
Something nice? Well I'm glad it distracts faggot casuals so I can find Link to the Past for a reasonable price still.

>> No.3636001
File: 2.50 MB, 1884x1980, 2016-11-25 11.55.25-1-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3636001

I still have lots of magazines and other non-offical guides that were released with this game, all tucked away in my attic.

>> No.3636034

>>3629408
better than majora's mask.

>> No.3636042

>>3635785

>Zelda just got better in 3d.

The opposite is true. Zelda just got worse in 3d. You're too young.

>> No.3636043

>>3629428
This. Fuck what /vr/ says. Nothing beats watching the sun rise over Hyrule on horseback, so many great memories and one of the few games that really stuck with me.

I guess it's a little overrated by today's standards but for it's time it was a perfect game. 3DS version is the definitive version; decent graphics boost and a much needed better framerate.

>> No.3636051

>>3636042
The opposite is true. Zelda just got better in 3d. You're too old.

>> No.3636052

>>3635880
go hump your granny, crt-autist

>> No.3636059

>>3636051

Round 2: The opposite is true. Zelda just got worse in 3d. You're too autistic.

>> No.3636065

>>3636059
Only autist like 2d. normies like crisp U/hd 3d. normies get headaches from low resolution, jagged edges, pixelated mess and cathode ray nuclear radiation mental blur.

>> No.3636068

>>3636034
Not exactly a high achievement.

>> No.3636127

>>3636068
Underage confirmed.

>> No.3636143

>>3629408
It was the only good Zelda on N64.

>> No.3636148

>>3629510
Because you are. Majora's Mask was a shit tier rom hack.

>> No.3636152

>>3636127
>I'm an underage because I think a shit game is barely better than another shit game

>>3636148
> Majora's Mask was a shit tier rom hack.
A shit tier ROM hack to a shit teir fanfic reimagining of LttP

>> No.3636156

>>3636152
I like your assessment of OoT?

>> No.3636174

>>3636143
>muh majoras is bad maymay

>> No.3636179

>>3636156
Thank you, I've been up all night working on it :^)

>> No.3636902

>>3636001
Post scans plz.

>> No.3637236

>>3636001
I was waiting to reply to this until I got home so I could say I did too and post pics, but I can't find them now.

First Nintendo Power that covered Ocarina when it came out, and an earlier one that covered its development when it was just Zelda 64. Feel comfy every time I open that second one.

>> No.3637262

>>3629408
Probably one of the best games that captures the feeling of going on a grand adventure.

It's also my favorite Zelda next to The Adventure of Link.

>> No.3637294

>>3629408
I think that the N64 version of this game has aged rather badly, however the 3DS version is fantastic. ...not to mention it doesn't have a 20fps lock...

>> No.3637759

>>3629408
Lovely game.

>> No.3637761

>>3629408
>Say something nice about it.

At least it's music was nice.

>> No.3637763

>>3629408
Redefined 3D gaming as we know it today.

Without OoT, we might not have ever gotten the masterpiece that is Dark Souls.

>> No.3637862
File: 213 KB, 1620x1079, xl1XYq8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3637862

The tween tourists on this board will never understand, nor experience the awe of running out onto Hyrule Field for the first time.

How I pity you.

>> No.3637865

>>3629408
It was a game. That's the only nice thing I could say about it.

>> No.3638189

>>3637236
Yeah, re-reading that stuff is very comfy indeed.

One the mags I have recounts how several video game mag journalists were flown out to a central Europe location by Nintendo to test play the game.

Many of the initial 'reviews' around this time were based on that test play.

Nintendo escorted all these journalists to a fucking underground bunker, where they were allowed to play the game in a sealed room - fucking guards actually had the cartridge handcuffed to their wrists and stood next to the console the whole time.

One journalist is quoted as saying to another "you wouldn't get this with SONY".

>> No.3638327

>>3629408
I like Navi's voice samples.

>> No.3638414 [SPOILER] 
File: 274 KB, 684x958, 1480178265339.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3638414

>>3638327

>> No.3638419

>>3638189
What, that is crazy. Almost sounds like a creepypasta.

>> No.3640538

>>3634390
You're a kind man.

>> No.3640965

>>3630491
>The N64 controller is god-awful
Stopped reading there. You need to be over 18 to post here kid.

>> No.3641310

>>3637862
This.

>> No.3641479
File: 250 KB, 499x309, disney-winnie-the-pooh-Favim.com-232412.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3641479

I still learn something new about Ocarina of Time every year.

2016 - I didn't know you could use Longshot from the bridge support beam that you pass to meet Sheik, unto the small block under the rock bridge to the Fire Temple for a red rupee.
2015 - I never knew there was a Scarecrow in the Water Temple before. I knew there were three outside but not INSIDE too.
2014 - I didn't realize Grog's dad has chauvinist ideals and just wanted him to be a real man, not a cucco breeder because he thought it was a woman's job. And that's why he hated his parents.

OoT is the Giving Tree of vidya.

>> No.3641540
File: 67 KB, 799x627, 1472845157079.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3641540

>>3641479
>I never knew there was a Scarecrow in the Water Temple before. I knew there were three outside but not INSIDE too.

>> No.3642185

>>3641479
>I didn't realize Grog's dad has chauvinist ideals and just wanted him to be a real man, not a cucco breeder because he thought it was a woman's job

Wait, this was explained? What dialog supports this?

Bet'cha didn't know about Darunia's racism though.

>> No.3642220

There's nothing nice about it it fucking sucks

>> No.3642683
File: 41 KB, 432x532, The-World’s-Top-10-Funniest-Legal-Blunders-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3642683

>>3642220
Weak.

>> No.3642685

>>3629408

It was the best LOZ on the 64.

>> No.3642896

>>3637862
I must have been about 17 when I first played OoT back in Christmas '98.

Running out onto Hyrule Field for the 1st actually made my heart swell. Gaming had changed forever in that instant.

>> No.3642902

>>3629531
>worships "sacred cows"
>collects rupees

Why hello there Pajeet

>> No.3643657

>>3640965
I'm 30, but OK.

>> No.3643670

>>3629408
it's ok

>> No.3643708

>>3642902
Realistically some Nip opened an encyclopedia and from a list of currencies picked the one with the funniest sounding name

>> No.3643715

>>3629408
fuck I'm old

>> No.3643751

>>3643715
Real men don't age, we mature, like a fine whisky.

>> No.3644346

>>3642185
>Darunia's racism
You mean when he says that the rock shortage is a "Goron problem" and that they don't need an outsider's help?

>> No.3644356

Is a great game
But i have never liked Zelda because being too easy. Also the puzzles are idiot-proof

>> No.3644450

>>3644346
No. I mean when you talk to him wearing the Gerudo Mask and he talks about how he hates them.

>> No.3644951

>>3644356
>But i have never liked Zelda because being too easy
Try speedrunning OOT. It's 50000x harder than playing through it casually.

>> No.3645076

>>3644356
People always say this shit about Zelda titles.

You DO realise that when you beat a dungeon boss you don't HAVE to collect the heart container? It's optional.

Zelda games have their own built-in difficulty if you want it.

>> No.3646002

>>3644450
The Gerudo are literally noted thieves and criminals, so you can't blame the Gorons for not liking them.

It's not like they're niggers.

>> No.3646015

>>3644951
I learned all the common wrong warps but I still suck at mst and all dungeons. it is pretty fun though.

>> No.3646083

>>3646002
>The Gerudo are literally noted thieves and criminals
>It's not like they're niggers.

How?

>> No.3646143

>>3646083
Kek

>> No.3646154

>>3629408
I played it back and replayed it last year, I guess the while not bad, is effectively very overrated.
It's not the best game of all time and it's not the best game of the N64, is just "another Zelda".

"Here, have some dungeons, go dungeoning."

Music is just midi, the camera fucks up things a little, narrative isn't groundbreaking and it's actually very simple, it's an usual "good vs evil" thing.

Really, the game is good just because it didn't fuck up the minimum things a game needs to be good, but it isn't a masterpiece.

I guess we can say... it's a game.

>> No.3646160

>>3646143
Keep this on /b/ or /pol. I remember when this board was not polluted with newcomers.

>> No.3646197

>Led Zeppelin is bland and Seinfeld is unoriginal

I guess the biggest criticism is that it's massive success meant that it defined 3D games for years to come.

My only real gripe is the lack of the traditional Zelda overworld theme. I replayed recently and I could've SWORN the theme was in the game. Nope.

>> No.3646930

>>3646154
>I guess we can say... it's a game.

No, it's by far and away the best gaming experience I've had. I'd never think of playing it like it was a bunch of dungeons to get through strung together though, that totally misses why it's so magnificent. I can't say that anything else even comes close.

>> No.3646994
File: 948 KB, 333x251, 3987.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3646994

>>3637862
>the awe of running out onto Hyrule Field for the first time.
>>3642896
>Running out onto Hyrule Field for the 1st actually made my heart swell. Gaming had changed forever in that instant.

This. You had to be there in 1998.

>> No.3647304

>>3629408
i personally dislike you, but happy birthday fag.

>> No.3647396

>>3646197
It's in the 3DS remake.

>> No.3647414

>>3629408
It was a game that wasn't focused on being overtly saccharine like mario or the faux masculinity of games like Metal gear solid on the playstation, it was a game that had a very beautiful aesthetic and soundtrack that without trying to pander appealed to a huge demographic, particularly women.

I think it's a very sincere game with excellent design, at the time there really wasn't that many games that appealed to girls without being an insulting mess of pink and licensed garbage, the game certainly deserves respect for that.

>> No.3647451

>>3646197
There is a very subtle motif of it in the Hyrule Field music when you're running from enemies.
Fuck, now I want to play this.

>>3647396
What? Did they add something other than above?
I do know that they did add something extra and sneaky... the Triforce.

>> No.3647912

>>3646930
But explain what makes it so magnificent the same idea and simple gameplay and simple narrative over and over again.

I'm not saying it's bad.
It's good at best and average at worst.

>> No.3648085

>>3647451
The Zelda theme plays over the end credits in the 3DS version I'm sure.

>> No.3648363
File: 9 KB, 130x234, pejOxVx-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3648363

>>3648085
Guess I will need to go ahead and beat that at some point.

>> No.3649019

>>3647912
>It's good at best and average at worst.

I honestly can't tell when you fucking kids are just trolling or not. Ocarina of Time is an absolute MASTERPIECE of game design. It can't be understated enough how utterly fucking broken 3D platforming and 3rd person adventure games were until Nintendo pretty much laid out the rules with Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.

>> No.3649025

>>3647912
>>3649019

OoT was milestone which changed the gaming landscape forever, with groundbreaking leaps in game design, gameplay mechanics and player/controller amalgamation.

Notably:

>Z-targeting is an ingenious and eloquent solution to real-time 3D combat. You could strafe, skip around your opponent, block, parry, backflip, use an item from your inventory - all without it ever becoming confusing. Go back and look at early Playstation games and realise how FUCKED 3D gaming was before ooT.
>The genius inclusion of the companion fairy, who would point things out, drop hints and offer comfort to the player (bearing in mind this was when playing in 3D was new and could have easily overwhelmed the player).
>Or what about the secluded forest opening portion of the game. A brilliant piece of game design which acts as a tutorial sectional making (at that time) a relatively complex control scheme as second nature as breathing by the time you step out into the full game world?
>What about the entire fucking control pad doubling as a musical instrument and weaved into the gameplay?
>Context sensitive controls. Every other game tried to include a button for EVERY action. Nintendo gave you ONE button to press - it's use changing depending on the situation. They even removed the need for a jump button. All of this is innovative design which frees the player's mind from doing the donkey work so they can concentrate on more complicated issues and just plain ENJOY the game.
>Even simple things like using the in-game graphics engine for cut scenes so that the player doesn't lose immersion.

All of this shit might seem obvious game-design-101 now but that's only because modern devs have stood on the shoulders of giants. Ocarina of Time not only redefined expectations of what interactive entertainment could be, but its influence continues to permeate the industry to this day and it's innovations have been ripped off by everyone for the past 20 years.

>> No.3649070

>>3649025
Tutorials weren't new. Z-targeting wasn't new. In game graphics for cutscenes wasn't new, at best it MAY be the first to have done it in 3D but even then I doubt it, and it's not like the game invented 3D either. Haven't clues or explanations given to the player along the way weren't new.

I can't think of any example with "context sensitive button" and "having and instrument" but I doubt they were the first either.

Before you add more, day&night cycle wasn't new, NPCs with their own schedule wasn't new.

You can say it brought SOME of these elements into light (it's not like the Ocarnia had become a new standard man...), and made them popular, that it did a good job at taking different elements from other games and putting them together and make them tighter; but don't pretend they "innovated" those.

>> No.3649084

>>3649025
Also desu, forced tutorials and having the gameplay interrupted so the player can get clues or explanations aren't exactly milestones of good game design. Devs might consider it that way; but I can tell you the consensus from players is that they hate it, I mean there is a goddamn "HEY LISTEN!" meme due to how annoying the fairy is.

This kind of stuff ruined gaming for everyone just because a few couldn't be bothered to read manuals and Nintendo decided to hand-hold those retards, so everyone else in the industry followed.

>> No.3649103

>>3649084
>forced tutorials and having the gameplay interrupted

Actually play the fucking game. All that shit is optional.

>> No.3649110

>>3629408

it's the greatest game in its franchise and everyone who says otherwise has irrational bias and no appreciation for music or atmosphere.

>> No.3649120

>>3629716

the vast amount of secrets and hidden content compounded with the fact that you couldn't obtain the Triforce (but seemingly had an inventory slot for it) made players think this game was an almost endless rabbit hole.

it's so chock full of optional/missable content and extras. All the hidden grottos, scarecrow locations, secret bits of dialogue, bizarre animations (like shooting Bongo Bongo with an Ice Arrow) that there always seemed to be something just out of reach.

The sinking lure was a big secret, as was the trick to turn butterflies into faeries, getting a personal cow in Link's house, inventory upgrades for Deku Sticks and Deku Nuts via "the forest's stage"... the dying soldier, the bismuth crystal room, entering the forest temple at dusk...

I could literally go on all day.

No other game was that DENSE with secret content. It really invited exploration like no other.

>> No.3649123

>>3649070
>>3649084

Not him, but you cannot take for granted how daunting it was for players to grasp 3D gameplay back then.

It's a normal school day for you kiddies now but back then gaming in 3D was literally a whole new scary world. The fairy companion dishing out clues constantly nudging the player in the right direction was a stoke of genius.

Also, living in denial about the impact OoT had on gaming only highlights your age.

>> No.3649124

>>3630602

you're extremely talented, and a good writer legit humor.

please make more

>> No.3649126

>>3631683
I was one of those fags that wrote my senior paper on this game. It really does refute the whole games not being art thing since it does so many things well in order to build upon themes of exploration, the passage of time, and manages creates an ambiance for each temple which presents a unique environment each time.

It always steams my veggies when I see the "it didn't age well" and "wahhh buttons are too hard to use" arguments. No shit art and games age.

>> No.3649132

>>3634280

>you have to wait for enemies to open themselves up

I hate this meme and it's false.

Egoraptor is a faggot who couldn't even graduate highschool, he doesn't know jack shit about the game and literally only used the most basic weapons to do everything.

In reality, there are a dozen ways to defeat any enemy and waiting to attack is never obligatory unless you've exhausted all your other subweapons like a scrub.

>> No.3649142

>>3649132
What kills me about sequelitis is the fact that some asstard, who should've stuck to animation, talks about video game design as if he knows what the fuck he's talking about when half the time he can't figure out basic shit on any given game he plays on game grumps.

Now he has a bunch of 90s kids spewing shit about a game they probably never actually played on an N64 and unironically think Genesis did what Nitendidn't

>> No.3649148

>>3646160

ok whatever you say, sensitive nigger kike gerudo-lover.

>> No.3649157

>>3646197

it has the mario 3 flute as it's theme instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frEkbTBQm2M

and the chords that play after are the secret zone's chords just played note by note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARAvR2QE8YI

>> No.3649170

>>3649157
That was originally the flute theme from Zelda 1...

>> No.3649314

>>3649110
>no appreciation for music or atmosphere.
the music and atmosphere trophy goes to Majoras Mask, though.

>> No.3649325

>>3629408
i enjoyed it

>> No.3649375

>>3630602
Neat. I never even thought of using Din's fire on shadow Link. Only used it to light torches I guess.

>> No.3650605

>>3649314
>the music and atmosphere trophy goes to Majoras Mask, though.

No, it really doesn't. The music of MM is mostly monotonous or otherwise copypasted from OoT and used out of context. It lacks the same variety and contrasting play of feelings.

>> No.3650610

>>3649070
Oh look it's this bullshit again;

>b-but Nintendo didn't invent anything!

George Lucas didn't invent shit either when he made Star Wars. What a fucking fraud, eh?

>> No.3651906

>>3649375
Well fuck, in 20 years that once occurred to me either.

>> No.3652728

>>3649132
>Egoraptor is a faggot who couldn't even graduate highschool

Preach it brudda!

>> No.3653053

>>3650605
>It lacks the same variety and contrasting play of feelings.
Never felt any of these when I heard both soundtracks. To me, they're just a series of "catchy" tunes and that's it.

>>3650610
>George Lucas didn't invent shit either when he made Star Wars
Well it was purported to have been a fucking terrible film only saved by very good editing and suggestions from THE CAST themselves so...

>> No.3653202
File: 682 KB, 627x800, 32d9211b9e621da3aaa67193df8dbd93.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3653202

>>3653053
>Well it was purported to have been a fucking terrible film only saved by very good editing and suggestions from THE CAST themselves so...

You got it kind of right. You're combining things.
The suggestions from the actors bit relates to Empire, 'cause it was Harrison Ford's idea so say the famous "I know" after like fifteen takes of saying "I love you, too." For the first movie, George's ideas were pretty out there, like wanting the hero to be a weird alien instead of relatable Luke, and so forth. Truth is, film is a collaborative artform, and a lot of the awesome shit in the Star Wars trilogy is probably due to a lot of different people.

But this isn't a Star Wars thread, this is a Zelda thread, so anyway.
>tfw Zelda and Star Wars occupy a similar, comfy-cozy space in my brain

>> No.3653208

It was satisfying to crack open with a sledgehammer when you realize how shallow and one dimensional the fucking "gameplay" is.

>> No.3653257

>>3653202
Ah, thanks for sharing those clarifications. Nat to see a bit of SW trivia.

>>3653208
>when you realize how shallow and one dimensional the fucking "gameplay" is.
Don't see how it's any more "shallow and one-dimensional" then your usual Zeldo of the time.

>> No.3653260

>>3653208

Fuck, that was edgy.

>> No.3653272

someone post that pic of link fucking everyone

>> No.3653278

>>3653257
>>3653260
One day I hope you kids can open your eyes and see how shit mid-90s and onwards games are.

OOT was linear, boring, annoying, had shitty controls, a tiny fucking world with no exploration, and looked like ass.

>> No.3653307

>>3629510

>4 dungeon DLC sold as a full game

>> No.3653313

>>3649025

Half those things are horrible plagues on gaming though.

>> No.3653320

>>3653307
And OoT...
>Crappy 3D fan re-imagining of LttP sold as a full game

>> No.3653331

>>3653278
>shitty controls
Whoa there, surely you jest.

>> No.3653710
File: 3.70 MB, 1800x2200, Wanted_12_got_24_okay_with_that.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3653710

>>3653272
The one where doubles were pick of row?

>> No.3653713

>>3653313
How? Serious question.

>> No.3653750

>>3649123
>Also, living in denial about the impact OoT had on gaming only highlights your age.

That's funny. I was old enough to enjoy the PS1/N64 era and see them raise. The difference is that they weren't my only thing, and they weren't that new or amazing because I was also playing computer games.

Honestly sound like a clueless Nintendo-fag who think he knows his shit and hides under "if you disagree you're just too young / you weren't there".

The N64 and Zelda were the casuals' introductions to 3D.

>> No.3653871

>>3653750
>and they weren't that new or amazing because I was also playing computer games.

Because of all those computer games that were doing what OoT did at the time, right? I mean, Zelda is clearly nothing compared to Daggerfall.

>> No.3653887

>>3653871
OoT was released in 1998. Tons of 3D games of the same calibur were already released. Tomb Raider, action adventure so the genre as OoT, was 2 years earlier for instance and it's just an example. Some PC games of the late 80's early 90's had day/night cycle, NPCs with their own schedule, other games like Megaman Legacies had the lock-on thing. Tons of games had tutorials and explanations along the way. Just stop.

>> No.3653920

>>3653887
Tomb Raider only highlights how fucking broken 3D games were at that stage.

When Nintendo developed OoT, they were smart enough not to even bother with a jump button - Link just auto-jumps when you reach the edge of a platform.

And most other controls were context-sensitive. This serves the purpose of taking all of the donkey work away from the player so they can concentrate on more important stuff and just have FUN.

It's because of simple outside-the-box decisions like this that Nintendo are considered masters of game design.

>> No.3653929

>>3649126
Post that shit. I like when people write thesis on vidya.

>> No.3654631

>>3653887
>Tomb Raider, action adventure so the genre as OoT, was 2 years earlier for instance and it's just an example.

Tomb Raider is really good, I won't claim it isn't, but it isn't nearly as ambitious as OoT and MM. I played these games when they were released, and while TR is one of the greatest, and easily has levels better than most of Zelda's dungeons, it really doesn't compare to OoT's creation of a whole world which you can interact with in real time on so many levels so fluidly. There really was nothing at all that did this, and even today barely any games attempt the same kind of detail.

> Some PC games of the late 80's early 90's had day/night cycle

This is something I also don't dispute at all, OoT was hardly a first there, but there really wasn't anything that pulled of Day/Night cycles in the same way that the 3D Zeldas did with music/skybox/lighting/music changing gradually in real time so that twilight bleeds into dawn and you feel like you are seeing another side of the world.

>games like Megaman Legacies had the lock-on thing
Ok, now you're bullshitting. Don't pretend like you actually know shit here.

>> No.3655113

>>3653929
I read the paper recently, it wasn't that great in my opinion.

It amounted to me refuting Roger Ebert's article on video games being unable to be art by pretty much pointing out how simply retarded the statement was. I used OoT cause of its praise and notoriety of being one of the best games ever made. I also made Miyamoto's aims for the series and aesthetic choices a point of emphasis. He deliberately chose to use certain sound effects in order to sort of emphasize moments of discovery and his attempt to recreate games he played during his childhood. I pointed out like film, video games are a collection of sound, visuals, and story that eventually amounts to being a whole piece of art like everything else really. I used plot points, use of music, and the ability to display an environment within the technical limitations of the system to really drive my points home.

Coming from a guy that analyzed film, one of the newer art mediums, it was pretty stupid.

>> No.3655391

>>3653710
Rolling.

>> No.3655407

>>3655113
>neckbeard pseudo-intellectual tries to school one of the most eminent film critics of the 20th century on media theory
lmao
are you from HG101???

>> No.3655830

>>3655113
>>3655407
I actually kind of like this thesis.

>> No.3656852

>>3653920
This.

>> No.3657745

>>3655407
No idea what that is friendo :^)

>> No.3657786

>All these dumbass arguments about what it did and didn't do first

Who gives a shit? Video games aren't smartphones. Innovation and technology is not the objective, they are just a few of many possible means to an end. The game is good and that is literally all that matters.

>> No.3657797

>>3657786
I think people have these arguments in order to bolster their opinion on how important it is in regards to the history of gaming and development. It would matter at that point what it did first depending on how important they believed the game's contribution was. Some would see it as just a good game, but there are people who would see it as one that granted huge influence based off it's attributes.

>> No.3657834

>>3649375
I just beat him to death with the hammer

>> No.3657864

>>3655113
ebert said specifically that games contain art. he would agree that music, graphics, sound design etc are all examples of art. however the actual act of playing the game, the rules and the player input, is not art. to argue that video games are art you would have to describe why watching a let's play would be artistically different from playing the game yourself. you would also have to explain why video games are art but other games, like baseball or chess, are not art.

>> No.3657868

>>3657864
Yes exactly this. But people don't understand the subtlety of Ebert's argument, which is why the responses are always so ridiculously sophomoric. "Aeris died and made me cry, therefore games are art. You're just an old fart who thinks video games are still Ataris but they are cinematic now!"

>> No.3657879

>>3657864
Well if I turned the paper in today, I'd have done that lel. I rushed it then and I wasn't really proud of it as I mentioned in the first post.

That said I find the comparison to sports sorta silly anyway. The game itself is a compendium of those artistic aspects, but the experience and input provided by the player is still as necessary as the contents of the game. I find the separation of that input and the aesthetic to be pretty tenuous.

>> No.3657893
File: 46 KB, 462x500, 1475591705205.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3657893

My friend and I recently beat OoT and MJ within two weeks of each other. We talked about OoT's place in history and how MJ was just...kinda bleak.

It was a nice time.

>> No.3657908

>>3629408
Still enjoy the original over the 3DS remake

Even though gyroscope aiming is pretty great

>> No.3658025

>>3653307
>4 dungeon DLC sold as a full game
>playing majoras for the main quest

>> No.3658043

>>3629408
It's got three fun sections I guess. The rest of the game is a chore

>> No.3658302

>>3629408
An overrated good game that is hated by /vr/ for being overrated.

>> No.3658305

>>3646160
>can't handle a casual, inoffensive joke

Leave 4chan for your own good.

>> No.3659565

>>3629614
I was always disappointed this never happened in game.

>> No.3659619
File: 101 KB, 700x746, CuRDe98WgAE7pas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3659619

Fantastic waifus.

>> No.3660154

>>3659619
>Epona

Agreed.

>> No.3660229

>>3657786
>Who gives a shit?

It's important because clueless fanboys keep babblering about how innovative OoT was, often listing playing of mechanics it "invented", while it never; For them it's part of why makes the game so great. I've ever heard some of them claim OoT was the first game ever to include a vehicule you could un/mount at all times, for christ sakes.

Basically these people are trying to justify their taste with "facts", except those facts are wrong.

>> No.3662503

>>3649070
What games had Z-targeting before OOT? Genuinely curious.

>> No.3662548

>>3660229
It's a question of age really.

If you're someone who cannot accept how monumentally significant OoT is to video games, then you're most likely very young or would have been very young when OoT was released.

It's like listening to a child berating Beethoven's 9th symphony.

>> No.3662690

>>3662548
>If you disagree with me you're a child

>> No.3662695

>Goron's are the niggers of Zelda.

>> No.3662719

>>3649132
>I hate this meme and it's false.
Have you ever tried playing the game while focusing on it intensely? It is fucking terrible, in reality most people who play the game will figure out the simplest way to kill an enemy and repeat it ad naseam. There is a reason why deku nuts are generally considered useless despite being objectively better than swinging a sword against most non-boss enemies.
>waiting to attack is never obligatory unless you've exhausted all your other subweapons like a scrub.
Objectively false, also stupidly irrelevant.

>> No.3662724

>>3629408
Fun game and the threads never disappoint.

>> No.3662725
File: 7 KB, 634x330, hashtag-i-dont-get-it.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3662725

>>3662719

>> No.3662740

>>3662719
>There is a reason why deku nuts are generally considered useless despite being objectively better than swinging a sword against most non-boss enemies.
And the reason is that most people are awful at video games and don't attempt anything other than the blatantly obvious. Deku Nuts are also very useful against many bosses. You'd know this if you weren't shit at video games.
>Objectively false, also stupidly irrelevant.
No, not objectively false. Every enemy in the game can be fought utilizing multiple different methods, including bosses.

>> No.3662761

>>3650605
>It lacks the same variety and contrasting play of feelings.
>day_1-3_clocktown.wav
>>3649103
>actually play the game
oot fags need to stop blatantly lying about their favorite game, this is getting fucking ridiculous.
>>3662740
What about sketullas before you have the hookshot and deku skrubs? oh right you're retarded.
>And the reason is that most people are awful at video games and don't attempt anything other than the blatantly obvious.
Did you blatantly ignore half of my point? What a surprise, I'd never expect that of an oot fag. Playing the game 'seriously' in any way is an exercise in masochism the game is far too boring to sustain much more thought than being totally brain dead.
>lol ur shit at vg
oot isn't even intended to be a challenge, you can't simultaneously say "it's perfect because it appeals to everyone of every skill level and has the best game design ever" and say "the only reason why you fags don't like it are because the game allows you to forget/miss over half of its complexity, you just need to think more" AND say "dude, chill you can't take the game so seriously, of course you're not going to like it if actually think about what you're doing"

>> No.3662769

>>3629408
Its 3DS remake actually makes it playable.

>> No.3662787
File: 826 KB, 2592x1944, I_am_too_poor_to_own_Earthbound.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3662787

>>3629408
Imagine the joy of getting the game in its own special bag and temporary tattoos. The anticipation reading the manual on your way back from the store. Yeah, it made many people happy.

I think I gave away the temporary tattoos ... (and don't mind the Cotton games, reused an old pic I took for another old thread)

>> No.3662802

>>3629428
agreed. fuck contrarian attitudes... it's a true masterpiece.

>> No.3662823 [DELETED] 

>>3662761
>What about sketullas before you have the hookshot and deku skrubs?
There is no enemy called "sketulla" in the game. If you meant "skilltula" you can use the boomerang before getting the hookshot. You can kill Deku Scrubs with the slingshot, boomerang, arrows, your sword, din's fire, etc.
>you can't simultaneously say "it's perfect because it appeals to everyone of every skill level and has the best game design ever" and say "the only reason why you fags don't like it are because the game allows you to forget/miss over half of its complexity, you just need to think more" AND say "dude, chill you can't take the game so seriously, of course you're not going to like it if actually think about what you're doing"
I didn't say any of those things.

>> No.3662828

>>3662761
>What about sketullas before you have the hookshot and deku skrubs?
There is no enemy called "sketulla" in the game. If you meant "skulltula" you can use the boomerang to kill them before getting the hookshot. You can kill Deku Scrubs with the slingshot, bombs, boomerang, arrows, your sword, din's fire, hammer, deku sticks, etc. If you mean the Deku Scrubs inside the Deku Tree, then fair enough. Congratulations on finding the one enemy in the one location in the game you need to wait 3 seconds to kill.
>you can't simultaneously say "it's perfect because it appeals to everyone of every skill level and has the best game design ever" and say "the only reason why you fags don't like it are because the game allows you to forget/miss over half of its complexity, you just need to think more" AND say "dude, chill you can't take the game so seriously, of course you're not going to like it if actually think about what you're doing"
I didn't say any of those things.

>> No.3662829

>>3662828
>If you meant "skulltula" you can use the boomerang to kill them before getting the hookshot.
You can also use the slingshot, bombs and deku sticks, in addition to the boomerang, all before picking up the hookshot.

>> No.3662831 [DELETED] 

>>3662829
>You can also use the slingshot, bombs and deku sticks, in addition to the boomerang, all before picking up the hookshot.
And arrows too.

>> No.3662838

>>3662831
Yes but can you retrieve the token

>> No.3662841

>>3662838
Yes, with the boomerang.

>> No.3662848

>>3662841
Also you can literally go and get the hookshot the moment you get the master sword. It's not like it's an elusive or difficult to obtain item.

>> No.3662860

>>3662828
>I didn't say any of those things.
Actually, I take that back. I did say the 2nd thing. The 1st and 3rd things are not things I ever said, however.

>> No.3662865 [DELETED] 

>>3662761
>Did you blatantly ignore half of my point? What a surprise, I'd never expect that of an oot fag. Playing the game 'seriously' in any way is an exercise in masochism the game is far too boring to sustain much more thought than being totally brain dead.
you sound like the type of person who is bored all the time despite being surrounded by all the tools you need to have fun.

>> No.3662878

>>3662761
>Did you blatantly ignore half of my point? What a surprise, I'd never expect that of an oot fag. Playing the game 'seriously' in any way is an exercise in masochism the game is far too boring to sustain much more thought than being totally brain dead.
I imagine you as the type of kid who was always bored while growing up because you didn't know how to go outside and have fun on your own.

>> No.3662910
File: 79 KB, 360x265, hqdefault-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3662910

>Ocarina of Time is shit

Such contrarian nonsense.

>> No.3663582
File: 286 KB, 920x264, upxkWCL[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3663582

>>3629408
The original was better.

>> No.3663598

>>3663582
Nice cherrypicked image

>> No.3663606
File: 130 KB, 249x380, OOTgodess.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3663606

>>3662787

Is that MM cart a non-holographic one?

>> No.3663619

>>3663598
It's a pretty damn iconic moment, famm. I don't care what the hardware limitations of the 3DS are, the final boss fight looks horrible in the remake regardless.

>> No.3663624

>>3663619
The pics are taken at two different times, albeit closely. Lightning is active in the remake which is why the sky is considerably brighter. It's still brighter, but not that bright.

>> No.3663663
File: 609 KB, 1366x768, latest[3].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3663663

>>3663624
The atmosphere of the original fight was amazing, and the fact that Ganon appeared only as a massive silhouette with two beady eyes charging at you from the dark was just awesome. The only instances where you can see him completely, is when the lightning strikes and illuminates the surroundings. It's so brilliantly minimalist.

The excessive lighting in the remake completely ruins the atmosphere, if you ask me.

>> No.3663710
File: 476 KB, 574x413, killyourselfcranky.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3663710

>> No.3663779

>>3662878
Cool imagination, my dad once took away all electronics from me and I didn't realize he only meant to do it for a week, so I spent the entirety of 3 or so months without any electronics without ever once complaining, being entertained by a notebook and a pencil.
I don't even hate oot (I liked it reasonably on my first playthrough, though I've been bored of all other attempts), but it isn't a game to be played seriously, criticizing anyone for not playing it good enough and acting like *that* is the reason why they dislike the game is fucking stupid. The game does not work with high focus, it's just too slow.
>>3662828
OK, let's take this a step back.
Would you agree that the vast majority of every action that you do in oot is not challenging?
Would you agree that an enemy without difficulty only serves as a time sink?
Skulltulas, octorocs, deku skrubs, small skulltulas, baby dodongos, keese... These all offer a negligable amount of challenge to the player, no?
You could state that waiting actually has some positive effect on gameplay/enjoyment but saying oot is in any way defined by challenge or actions that wouldn't might as well be waiting is just wrong, it's a procedural game with occasional moments of challenge in it.
>>3662829
Slingshot doesn't work on the big ones on the front, bombs take a while to blow up (and equip, probably more than just waiting it out), don't know about the boomerang or deku sticks, though by the time you encounter the boomerang you won't face many more skulltulas until adult link anyway.

>> No.3663826

>>3663663
They HAD to make the 3DS version brighter because its a fucking handheld. Using the original colour-palette and lighting of the N64 version would make it very difficult to play.

Not excusing it, just offering an explanation.

>> No.3663967

>>3629408

Megaman Legends did it first an entire year earlier.

>> No.3663985 [SPOILER] 
File: 30 KB, 444x331, 1481166145691.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3663985

>>3663967

And guess which game came out before both OOT and Legends and is better than both?

>> No.3664573
File: 2.36 MB, 2304x1728, Everything_you_touch_turns_to_gold.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3664573

>>3663606
It is the holographic one. I just took that picture with my dumbphone and the lighting only came from the window to the left, so it is hard to tell. Here is a better picture, I took with a phone from China (roommate's) that claims to have a better camera than Google's Pixel, I had to reduceits size because 4chan doesn't accept images past a certain size. I tried lighting it in a way so you can see the little grooves, but in reducing the image size, it is hard to tell still.

I love 2 Adventures of Link, but I lost that one. So for something nice about OOT, the Sages are named after the towns from 2!

>> No.3664586

>>3663985
I like Goemon on N64, but come on. The real classic is the sequel. First one is very good but not amazing.

>> No.3664609

>>3663826
There's also 5 brightness settings and a power-saving mode on the 3DS, so you can tweak the brightness to your liking.

>> No.3664635

>>3663779
>Slingshot doesn't work on the big ones on the front, bombs take a while to blow up (and equip, probably more than just waiting it out), don't know about the boomerang or deku sticks, though by the time you encounter the boomerang you won't face many more skulltulas until adult link anyway.
not that guy, but the dude youre arguing with said that every enemy in the game can be fought utilizing multiple different methods. he didn't say one time that you can do this at any point during the game with no items. obviously you have to collect the means to utilize said methods prior to utilizing them. this is extremely obvious from the context.

that said, there are very VERY few situations in which you are forced to wait out an enemy. when the game does make you wait wait, it's the exception, not the rule.

>The game does not work with high focus, it's just too slow.
it works excellently with high focus. this is why it is one of the top two most popular games to speedrun. the mechanical depth and skill ceiling are tremendous, in particular for challenge-type playthroughs. people who have already invested thousands upon thousands of hours into the game are still improving and still learning new things about it all the time.

whether or not this is intended by the developers is irrelevant. we are talking about the game as it is, not as the devs wanted it to be. just like how mechanical quirks, glitches and exploits can be a negative in some games, they are absolutely a positive in ocarina of time, and have done nothing but contribute to its legacy.

similar to how bunnyhopping (an unintended mechanic) only made Quake better, many of the best features in games are often features the developers did not foresee.

>> No.3664653

>>3664635
>they are absolutely a positive in ocarina of time, and have done nothing but contribute to its legacy.
this

Glitches in games like Sonic 06 are bad because they're constant and ruin gameplay, but Ocarina's are great because they're fun, cool and you have to go out of your way to do them.

>> No.3664786

>>3664635
>not that guy, but the dude youre arguing with said that every enemy in the game can be fought utilizing multiple different methods. he didn't say one time that you can do this at any point during the game with no items
And I wasn't arguing that he was wrong on this account? I was the first to make a claim (there is waiting) he was the one making an irrelevant counter claim.
You already know exactly what I'm going to say to your next point because I've already said it.
>this is why it is one of the top two most popular games to speedrun.
The reason why it is popular to speedrun is because...
1. It's a popular game (fucking UT is 11th most popular game to speedrun)
2. Glitches add much needed movement mechanics
3. Glitches are cool
None of these show up in an average run, there is a clear and distinct difference between playing a normal (even challenge) run of oot and speedrunning the game. Speedrunning by its very nature adds challenge everywhere and where none exists in the game where most other challenge runs merely multiply the challenge already there. In speedrunning the trek between hyrule field is a potential run ender depending on what category, for non speedrun it is a walk across a field for about a minute.

>> No.3664929

>>3637862
Yeah it must've been a thrill to run into some big empty field that barely has peahats for enemies.

I bet you also feel that thrill whenever you run into a big field in any new OPEN WORLD game.

>> No.3665001

>>3629428
This.

No game has ever raised the bar so high that it took until Oblivion before others games could be on par with it.

Now it probably does show it's age. But it took 18 years.

>> No.3665073 [DELETED] 

>>3664786
>The reason why it is popular to speedrun is because...
>1. It's a popular game (fucking UT is 11th most popular game to speedrun)
>2. Glitches add much needed movement mechanics
>3. Glitches are cool
But there are plenty of incredibly glitchy games that sold more than OOT. Skyrim, for example. It sold almost twice as many copies.

>> No.3665087

>>3664786
>The reason why it is popular to speedrun is because...
>1. It's a popular game (fucking UT is 11th most popular game to speedrun)
>2. Glitches add much needed movement mechanics
>3. Glitches are cool
This is an awful criteria. There are all kinds of very glitchy, very popular games that don't even come close to the speedrunning popularity of OOT.

Skyrim is plenty glitchy and sold twice as many copies at OOT, but has less than 1/10 the number of speedrunners.

>> No.3665107

>>3664586

Both are great, and I actually prefer MNsG in terms of overall adventure, humor and plot (also because the western version of the sequel got kind of fucked, taking out the intro and impact themes).

Still, I'm talking about 3D adventure games. MNsG came out before OOT and Legends, and IMO is better than both.
Maybe OOT is the one that brought more new ideas to the table, but Goemon is still fantastic.
Legends is okay, played it not too long ago so I don't have nostalgia for it, it's charming but out of the 3, the least impressive.

>> No.3665724

>>3664929
No, you don't get it, you never will.

It's akin to the opening shot of the Star Destroyer in Star Wars or the T-Rex stomping out of it's paddock in Jurassic Park.

Landmark moments of popular culture which change everything.

>> No.3665829

>>3629408
It is a lovely game.

>> No.3666274

>>3634623
Bitch you must not have won at Mario Party becuase that controller gave me blisters from moving it in circles and shit.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action