[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 118 KB, 1280x720, A37AAF86-E764-4EDA-8789-6A2A633C6768-391-0000003F5BE65136_tmp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3626605 No.3626605 [Reply] [Original]

Where did it all go so wrong for Sega? Was it the decision to keep leaching off the aging hardware of the Genesis with the Sega CD and 32x? Was it the misguided Saturn, with it's cumbersome design, difficulty to program for, and lack of games? Was it the Dreamcast failing to compete with Sony?

inb4
>"buh-but the Saturn did the 2D better than the ps1!"
"buh-but the Saturn had good games in Japan!!"
"buh-but the Dreamcast was a perfectly sound competitor to the ps2!!"

>> No.3626612

32X was a stop gap mistake that cost Sega too much cash. More mistakes on the handling of NA market licenses for the Saturn furthered the trouble. Dreamcast was excellent, but it was far too late by that point.

>> No.3626615

Cancelling Sonic Extreme, for starters.

>> No.3626616

I think what killed them more than anything was their poor corporate culture. Different parts of the company wouldn't cooperate or coordinate with each other, and the higher ups would do nothing about it. This also led to people spending way more money than reasonable on their own projects, meaning that decisions were being made that weren't necessarily in the interest of Sega as a whole.

Like when Sega Europe spent a shitload on Dreamcast marketing and could have gotten equivalent exposure for a fraction of the cost if they just hadn't tried to go through FIFA.

>> No.3626620

>>3626616
I don't know the details but I hear that it was bad. Really, REALLY bad. The two branches of Sega were for all intents and purposes different companies from what I understand

>> No.3626626

The mistake was doing BOTH 32x and Saturn. If they'd have just fully gotten behind either one it would have been better. 32xCD was theoretically a pretty robust platform. I believe they could have had Resident Evil on it. Imagine if RE had came out in 1994. People would have shit. their. pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOWZbydnlZE

>> No.3626648

>>3626626
That would have been rediculous.

>> No.3626651

They never should have made the CD & 32X two separate add-ons

>> No.3626658

SoJ was jelly of SoA's enormous success and by the mid 90's it became a bitter rivalry between them until the ship ultimately sank. The end.

>> No.3626660

>>3626651
Pc engine laughs at sega only having 2 add ons

>> No.3626676

>>3626660
This. It was all about the software support. If 32xCD had real development happen on it, there would have been a Duo (Trio) console that dropped.

I remember when I saw the very first leaks of the Saturn case I was 100% sure it was going to be fully backward compatible with Genesis/SegaCD/32x and I was quite disappointed when we discovered it would have zero backward compatibility.

>> No.3626685

>>3626626
>last two minutes of video

Wow a Doom 3 port? On the 32X? That system was amazing.

>> No.3626694

If you want to know what killed Sega, you need to look where the actual money was lost.

Most of Sega's money was lost by selling Saturn at an enormous loss to keep up the price with PS1 (which itself was generally selling for a loss).

>> No.3626720

How do you even pronounce it?

Sie-Gae?

>> No.3626729

>>3626720
What are you, 12?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVelULW1zE

>> No.3626748

>>3626720
C-gar is the only correct way.

>> No.3626749

>>3626748

Why the R at the end? Is it an anglo thing?

>> No.3626754

>>3626749
Yeah, for some reason Brits add r's next to vowels, but when there actually is an r, they pronounce it like an h.

>> No.3626765

>>3626754

They add rs between vowels.

So
>John ate with Jenna afterwards
Becomes
>John ate with Jennar afterwards

>> No.3626776

>>3626765
pretty much

>> No.3627021

>>3626626
Yea, they either should've pulled the plug on 32X or fully backed it and held off on the Saturn in NA. SoA split their consumer base and didn't put out enough software for either group.

If I remember correctly, Tom Kalinske wanted to keep the Mega Drive going for another year since it was doing so well, and then fully back the Saturn. But I think he was overruled on that decision.

What really always gets me is the arrogance of SoJ. They passed up the N64 hardware because it was shown to them by SoA. Japan was super pissed at America for out performing them and I think it destroyed them.

>> No.3627025

Sega was fucking stupid and captured lightning in a bottle with the Genesis.

Every other console failed miserably for Sega. They had literally no shot in the grand scheme of things. They just did whatever the fuck they thought of for Genesis hoping shit would stick.

That failed for them after Genesis.

>> No.3627028

Sega was scared of the Atari Jaguar so they stuck extra chips in the Saturn.

How out of touch could they have been.

>> No.3627036

>>3626616
This really.

It fucking maddening nowadays to think that a company would operate in this kind of fashion. The Japanese devision openly loathed the North American side of the company, especially in the light of the success which Sega had in the west compared to Japan.

The add-on fetish was fucking crazy. But this was a time when console life cycles had not yet been properly established. People actually thought if you bought a console, it would be supported forever with upgrades and other bullshit. Even Nintendo flirted with this mindset before seeing the light.

>> No.3627064
File: 34 KB, 480x360, 663.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3627036
>People actually thought if you bought a console, it would be supported forever with upgrades and other bullshit

>> No.3627070

>>3627064

What are you talking about?

People used to think technology would last 25 years or some shit. Parents were aghast that their kid's NES only lasted a measly six years.

It wasn't until the end of the 90s that the general public began to finally realize that old technology isn't a good as new technology and that that change happens pretty quick.

>> No.3627087
File: 240 KB, 1246x928, vf3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sega's arcade division is too often forgotten. Consoles were toys compared to the wonders of AM2 and stuff like Galaxy Force 2. Nothing really went wrong on that front, other than the decline of arcade gaming (not Sega's fault).

>> No.3627095

32X and Sega CD was a mistake

>> No.3627113

>>3627064
Sony is literally doing this right now
>PS4 "Pro"

>> No.3627115

>>3627095
and Saturn

>> No.3627116

>>3627113

You don't have to buy one of those to play games, tho.

>> No.3627117

>>3627070
I was born in 82, I knew that consoles would last 5 years tops when the PS1 was coming out due to how much technology was changing every few years and I didn't even keep up with technology until mid 2000.

>> No.3627120

>>3627117

Son, you 12 when this was going on. What you knew didn't matter.

Parents thought their kid's system would last forever.

>> No.3627121

>>3627120
No they didn't. Nobody thought that. Anyone who had even been in the same ROOM as a computer knew they would be replaced, and it's obvious to anyone on the fucking planet, even TODDLERS, that a console is a computer.

You are a fucking liar until you prove otherwise.

>> No.3627123
File: 38 KB, 300x300, 1479103848766.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Genesis: 32x and Sega CD had shovelware titles, plus it was expensive.

>Saturn: Complex Hardware, Sheckle Games, Lose 267.9 million dollars

>Dreamcast: Sega lost a lot of 3rd party support, its a shame but then I suppose they made some bad decisions business wise.

Sega's in-house expertise was in proprietary arcade boards (like the sega saturn). Manufacturing Dreamcast was a heavily outsourced endeavor.

Sega's demise in that regard is partially due to the death of arcades in NA, and also partially for it's botched launches of every system that wasn't Genesis..

Dreamcast could've lasted a little longer if they implemented a dvd-player combo

>> No.3627125

You can't Google this shit?

This topic has been done to death. Ban Sega mourning.

>> No.3627137
File: 431 KB, 2448x3264, z98TfKp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3627121
>No they didn't. Nobody thought that.

Almost every person on the planet was shocked at the short life of electronics.

No, this is final. Every news outlet ran stories about it. Moore's Law began being quoted everywhere to give context, or just inaccurately said to claim system power. Weird Al even wrote a song about it. This pic happened.

The overwhelming majority of people don't know shit about computers and, back then, didn't see a single reason their purchase should ever stop working.

Congrats on seeing through the misconception. You probably didn't really know, either, given that you weren't even old enough to be buying this shit without mom and dad's money and wouldn't really know about expectations of lifespan.

>> No.3627149

>>3627123
>Dreamcast could've lasted a little longer if they implemented a dvd-player combo

Yeah, it would have actually ended up like the 360's HD DVD player. Nobody would care.

>> No.3627163

>>3627121
Dude, every major video game manufacturer took steps to prolong the future of their consoles with CD rom addons and proposed keyboards other bullshit. Console lifespans were not a defined concept in the eyes of consumers until the 32 bit generation.

>> No.3627220

>>3627117
I was born in 80 and I seen many parents not understanding why they should buy a SNES to their kids when they already have a NES in the house. A change every five years is quick for family of the low middle class or under.

>> No.3627228

>>3627220
Yeah, my parents couldn't understand why SNES games wouldn't play on a NES.

>> No.3627346
File: 123 KB, 604x426, dreamcast_dvd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3627123
>Dreamcast could've lasted a little longer if they implemented a dvd-player combo

well what do you know

>> No.3627349

>>3626765
Better than a glottal stop or whatever the fuck you do.

>> No.3627351

>>3627087
Dafuq is that hairstyle up to?

>> No.3627352

>>3627228
My mom still doesn't understand the difference between my Wii and Wii U.

>> No.3627353

>>3627346
Kek. I remember this act of utter fucking desperation.

>> No.3627354

>>3627137
>upgrade to the fastest model on the market every 2 years for only $99

>> No.3627356

>>3627352
The Wii U debacle was mostly because of Nintendo's incompetent marketing.

But the NES/SNES thing was sheer ingnorance on the part of consumers/parents.

>> No.3627397

>>3626605
>What went wrong?
Saturn was a fatal mistake.

>> No.3627413

>>3627149
That's a terrible comparison and you're an idiot for for thinking that. DVD was a massive success, HD DVD was the polar opposite.

Tons of people bought a ps2 just because it was the cheapest DVD player on the market at the time.

>> No.3627415

>>3627352
She's not alone, most people still don't know. Nintendo is retarded.

>> No.3627763

>>3626616
Tom Kalinske and Nick Alexander were amazing.

Sadly they were succeeded by a bunch of retards.

Worst of all was JF Cecilion who pissed away the marketing budget on football shirts...and hired hack advertisers who made adverts which did not show Dreamcast games.

You could sell a shit-ton of Dreamcasts just by showing Soul Calibur.

In fact, Sega should have sat on the Megadrive/Genesis for another year or two, (the Wondermega could have been the final MD/Gen console) and not rushed out the Saturn...things would have been very different if they had taken their time with it.

Also, not releasing a lighter, improved, more battery-efficient, Game Gear was dumb as fuck.

>> No.3627770

>>3627021
That's why the Saturn was rushed out; SoJ only cared about Japan, and saw the Saturn succeeding as their route to being on top again, which they succeeded in doing, by pissing away the Western market.

>> No.3627775

Sega should have almost immediately offered a DVD player addon for the Dreamcast and bundled it.

>> No.3627813

>>3627763
>You could sell a shit-ton of Dreamcasts just by showing Soul Calibur.

Most people I know who got Dreamcasts did it because of Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxi.

>> No.3627849

Sega was one of the most poorly managed companies in the world in the 90's. The suits who ran the Japanese and American branches did nothing but fight with each other, and they both misunderstood market trends to an embarrassing degree. They never seemed to understand that the key to a successful game console is a stable environment for developers. Instead of having one, well-documented console that would be supported for years, Sega insisted on shitting out new garbage that ran on Japanese magic every 6 months. Moreover, Sega never understood the power of their own arcade division. By the Dreamcast, they had started to understand that people wanted to play Sega's arcade games at home, and making that as easy as possible would be to their advantage, but the Saturn was a fucking nightmare that couldn't even play a gimped version of Virtua Fighter at an acceptable speed.

If I could go back in time and take over Sega, I would do the following:

1. Let the Genesis stand on its own, but start looking in a new direction once the SNES came out.
2. Build the Saturn as an arcade-to-home port box from the ground up. This isn't the direction the video game market was heading, but it plays to Sega's strength.
3. Treat developers with respect. Design the Saturn's architecture to be user-friendly and document it well. Be transparent about release dates and such.

>> No.3627947

All the stuff about SEGA departments fights or 32X and Saturn faillures are true but i don't think that was the most important thing.
Nintendo would have ended the same without Game Boy. SEGA strength were the arcades and those just went to shit outside Japan. Even doing things perfectly and not falling into the add-on madness everything would have been the same sooner or later.

>> No.3627997

>>3627813
>did it because of Soul Calibur
I did.

>> No.3628125

>>3627413

It's not a terrible comparison at all. Only reason blu ray was even successful was because it was NOT a peripheral on the PS3.

Peripheral media player? Trash.

>>3627947

Nintendo would not have had so many problems during the N64 or GCN generations if they had played their cards correctly, and they were given a great hand. It was not inevitable that they would fail.

>> No.3628259

>>3627021
>What really always gets me is the arrogance of SoJ. They passed up the N64 hardware because it was shown to them by SoA. Japan was super pissed at America for out performing them and I think it destroyed them.

>SoJ only cared about Japan, and saw the Saturn succeeding as their route to being on top again, which they succeeded in doing, by pissing away the Western market.

You're aware the whole "Japan hated SoA because they did well with the MD" thing is mostly a romanticized fiction made up by journos, right?
Sure, maybe SoA and SoJ didn't get along too well, that's possible. But I don't really buy into the whole bullshit about SoJ being absolutely pissed at SoA. They probably were minding their own business and wanted SoA to make well because if SoA had success, it'd mean SoJ would have success as well, basic business.
Kalinske said a few things about SoJ being too strict (normal in Japanese business) and journalists dollied the story up by adding some nonsense SoJ being pure evil bullshit.

The Saturn was successful in Asia, and horribly handled in the west, but also at the time, the market was over-saturated with 2 popular choices, the N64 and the PS1 (with the PS1 being on the far lead).

If we look back, 4th gen had also PC Engine/Turbografx, which was successful in Japan (more than the MD), but almost non-existant in the west. I doubt the western Turbografx wasn't successful because NEC Japan hated the US branch, it was likely that they couldn't pierce through the market led by Nintendo and Sega.

It's more about market than it is about internal company organization or fictitious quarrels between branches.

>> No.3628296

>>3628259

If you aren't successful in a region then it either means the product has no appeal whatsoever or the company's organization and leadership is awful.

The Saturn should not have performed as poorly in the US as it did if we are considering whether or not the product was appealing.

It was Sega that made it unpopular because of their poor marketing and confusing signals to potential customers. The Saturn didn't really even have proper marketing, not compared to the PS1 and not even compared to what the MD had.

>> No.3628373

>>3628296

Right, just like it happened with the MD in Japan before. Some systems do better than others depending on the region and yes, depending on the company organization. But in the case of Sega stepping out of the console market, the real answer to that is the PlayStation, not internal quarrels between japanese and americans.

>> No.3628386

>>3628373

The real answer is that Sega fucked up several times, and burned their marketshare.

Playstation is not some juggernaut that couldn't be beaten. It's a video game system that was better than Sega CD and Saturn. And even if it couldn't be beaten, it should have been an abject failure. The only company that has ever gone from so high to so low is Nintendo with the Wii to Wii U.

>> No.3628430

>>3626605
Sega America always sucked. What sold the Genesis was 3rd party games (EA Sports/Mortal Kombat), not shit like Gunstar Heroes or Comix Zone.

>> No.3628454

>>3626605
Sega had completely and utterly fucked up at home, repeatedly.
also, early launch on Saturn is easily the one decision that made the Saturn go from "eh, the PS1 sold more, but Sega was still in the race" to "what the fuck is a Saturn"
it's easily the single worst decision Sega made with the machine, and there were a lot
32X was bad... but almost entirely because it cannibalized from Saturn. People wanted 32Xs early on, but it took devs and resources away from the Saturn. Everything was rushed onto the 32X, and then you ended up a bunch of shitty rushed as fuck games, many of which deserved another 6 months of dev time and to be put on the Saturn anyway. Like Chaotix.

>>3627813
and that's enough
SoulCalibur is fucking ace and was pretty much the best looking game I'd seen up to that point anywhere

DC didn't deserve to fail. Like, not one bit.
>pretty solid third party support, Capcom and Konami and Namco (although Namco wasn't the happiest regarding Sega at the time), all of them at a time when they were fairly good
>good first party support
>well marketed, amazing launch sales
>near-perfect arcade games
>online play
>probably the first 3D home system with good looking graphics

it literally failed because Sega was still bleeding out from their colossal, unmitigated failure regarding Saturn -- it could have survived the PS2 release hype if Sega wasn't busy dying painfully

>>3628373
the MD didn't even do ridiculously badly in Japan like people like mention -- sure, it was behind the PC-Engine, but the PC-Engine was actually fairly successful
it placed
it was third place, but it wasn't like the Saturn in the US or the Master System nearly anywhere

>>3628430
Yeah, but Sega in America knew that, and capitalized on it when marketing the Genesis.
when third party support on the Saturn went to shit because of Sega's fuckups, that was it

>> No.3628493

>>3626676
Hell, there WAS a trio console (Sega CDX) despite no software support for either add-on.

>> No.3628657

>>3628259
Well ,they resented SoA enough to bully Kalinske out and pass up SGI technology.

Were they evil? No
Prideful and a bit resentful of SoA? I think so.

You can chalk it up to journos if you want, but Kalinske himself said there was resentment there on SoJ's part.

Also, Saturn beat N64 to market a full year in advance (so idk about your over-saturation). Sega had a large enough consumerbase in NA that if they hadn't made all the fuckups that they did, they could've done way better. Beat the PS1? I don't believe so. But they definitely would've gone into the next gen with a much stronger footing.

>> No.3628665

>>3628454
This.

It's not so much that if Sega had made better choices that they'd have beaten the PS1. But they'd have survived and would have been in a better financial spot to compete against the PS2 with the Dreamcast.

>> No.3628683
File: 222 KB, 256x431, Sonic_X-treme_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3626615

This.
N64 had Mario 64. Ps1 had Crash Bandicoot. Saturn was supposed to have Sonic Xtreme as a killer MUST BUY title. This was long before the Sonic brand had been devalued and would have fallowed Sonic-CD as the next core Sonic title (not including 3-d Blast).

It was on the cover of multiple gaming magazines and was hyped so hard. Then it was cancelled and Sega said Saturn was not the future of the company.

Look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLPk2rGgg7s

Sega just continued to fuck up too many times.

>> No.3628887

>>3626605
>Where did it all go so wrong for Sega?
It all went wrong with the Mega drive, it got more popular in the USA than in Japan, and somehow that started an internal war that did not happen with the Master System being more popular in Europe and Brasil.
Adding Mega CD and 32X was bad to the public.
And when the Saturn launched they just shat on the public outside Japan.

>> No.3628926

>>3628657

>resentful of SoA?

It doesn't make sense though. SoA's profit is SoJ's profit. In fact, Sega was always prideful of their success in America, they marketed Sonic in Japan as "the number 1 in USA" or something. I doubt all these stories about "prideful samurai code" Sega of Japan are true, or at least they are exaggeratedly romanticized.

>but Kalinske himself said there was resentment there on SoJ's part.

I don't know if I buy his bullshit.

It's still a one-side bell, sadly we'll never get to hear SoJ's side of the story because japanese don't accustom to talk about their past freely especially when it comes to business.

>> No.3629169

>>3628683
This. This this this so fucking much.

I will never forgive Yuji Naka and his gay little jester game Nights. Like come the fuck on. Spelled "NiGHTs"? Do you WANT to disappear into obscurity?

I remember anticipating that Sonic game for so long for the Saturn... And all I get in the end was a tease in Sonic Jam.

Fuck.

>> No.3629182

The Sony/Nintendo catering to nugamers that didn't give a shit about quality gaming thing.

The Saturn and DC were made mostly for older gamers that still give a shit about quality games instead of style-over-substance shit that was being thrown onto Sony/Nintendo games. There were a few things that tried to cater to the nugamer generation (the new Sonic games for DC, for example) but it wasn't enough because Sony and Nintendo had already stolen gaming from real gaming.

>> No.3629183

>>3626605
Jesus we don't need a thread on this topic every damn week

>> No.3629194

>>3626605
Look, I'm not coming here anymore because you keep posting the same threads. "how do you pronounce ____" or "Why did sega die?" when its been answered a million times or the thread is just a meme. You guys are totally retarded now. The quality of threads is so low now.

>> No.3629358

>>3629182

>all these buzzwords per line.

A new record.

>> No.3629374
File: 278 KB, 350x493, techno clash.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Short answer?
Nothing
Sega Genesis has Techno Clash
There's nothing wrong with this game
Stop
Play it
Tell me about the cloud level

>> No.3629390

>>3629183
It's just /v/ leaking, since there is at least one daily there.

>> No.3631039

Shit tier company, that made shit tier consoles, ended up making one shit tier console too many and died.

RIP, games for autists.

>> No.3631539

>>3631039
which led to this shit tier shitpost*

>> No.3631720
File: 20 KB, 480x358, IMG_7299.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw you really like your 32x, Sega CD and Saturn

>> No.3631760
File: 397 KB, 500x283, tumblr_mjrmlkFLIa1rk6hmwo1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sega went wrong by not having Takenobu Mitsuyoshi make the music for every single Sega game. dude's a genius and they under-utilised him.

https://youtu.be/1J9ffRgADRU

>> No.3632071

>>3626605
The fast, action-based gameplay they were known for didn't carry over well to 1st generation 3d.

>> No.3632082

>>3629182
The fuck is a nugamer?

>> No.3632085

>>3631760
stop trying to meme him into something he isn't.

>> No.3632090

>>3626605
They built the Saturn to be a 2D juggernaut in an era when everyone was getting onboard the 3D train, then sloppily tacked on 3D shit relatively late into the console's planning, resulting in it being a badly-designed mess that was hell to develop for. Had they focused on the Saturn being a 3D arcade-accurate juggernaut (there were a bunch of good first-party 3D games for it in spite of its hardware) then they would've been the best console of the generation, had a bunch more third-party support and may have even been cheaper to manufacture.

In addition to this, the continued support of the Genesis via the 32X, the continued support of the Game Gear and the introduction of the Nomad resulted in the Saturn having shit for retail space in an era where big-box retail space was still king. Launching the Saturn early and pissing off a bunch of retailers definitely didn't help either.

End result was the company was in such a financial hole by the end of the Saturn's lifespan that the Dreamcast could've been the greatest console ever and it still wouldn't have been enough. Sega's fate was sealed in the mid-90s with the design and release of the Saturn, nothing else.

>> No.3632093

>>3632090
the saturn's so-so 3d support wasn't what killed it in the west. sega of america failing to deliver games from japan is.

>> No.3632104

>>3632093
Yes because weeaboo games are always a big hit in USA.

>> No.3633891
File: 1.15 MB, 1600x939, 1478662401374.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3632093
>implying Americans would buy dating sims, visual novels, or other weeb shit.

>> No.3634082

>>3633891
>>3632104
>nobody in the US would have liked Radiant Silvergun

I know almost nothing about this subject and I can easily come up with a specific counterexample off the top of my head. 1/10

>> No.3634089

>>3634082
>liked Radiant Silvergun
it has not been popular in Japan even

>> No.3634124

>>3634082
...What? You're not using RSG, a game in a niche genre that was, at the time, falling out of favor in the eyes of the average public, as an example of what could have been a system saver, right?

>> No.3634137

>>3634124
No, just as something that would have some appeal to late 90s Americans, especially in comparison to dating sims.

>> No.3634143

>>3634137
"some" appeal isn't exactly enough to bank the future of your company on. At any rate, it's also an unequal comparison when we get into the larger amount of games released on the saturn in comparisons to games like RSG, which ironically is also one of a kind.

>> No.3634250

>>3633891
quiet weeaboo. stop trying to praise japan when american games are always better. It's not like Japanese games were the biggest thing for decades, so much so that western developers were trying to copy the aesthetic too.

fucking weebs man. probably watches one piece.

>> No.3634345

>>3627763
I remember those ads. Like that one with the kids skimming stones at a buoy, while Robbie Williams' She's The One plays.

I remember thinking it was kind of stylish but, even then, couldn't see how this was going to sell a console.

In hindsight it was pretentious rubbish.

>> No.3635004

>>3627064
Nintendo had no plans for a successor to the NES until the Genesis became a hit.

>> No.3635006

>>3635004

I'd assume what ushered them to make a successor was the PC Engine, which was actually successful in Japan.

By the late 80s, before the MD released, the SFC was already in development. And the MD didn't became a real hit (in the west anyway) until 1991 with Sonic.

>> No.3635013

>>3626605
Novelty wore off and they didn't have good enough IPs to keep them going.

>> No.3635046

>>3631720
32x is supposed to be the shittiest of the three according to /v/(r), yet I've never even slightly regretted getting mine
upgrades to the graphics (no more shitty coax), doom, chaotix, kolibri, a couple cool space games, and once again no more shitty coax

>> No.3635302

>>3629169
Not to mention that when SoA asked to use the NiGHTS engine for Sonic Extreme, Naka refused and even threatened to leave the company if they took his engine. So the team had to write a 3D engine from scratch for the Saturn which led to huge development troubles, resulting in the director needing treatment for a stress-related ulcer, and the project getting scrapped.