[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 102 KB, 1024x768, tumblr_lrkek42Vv11r1ofpjo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3611812 No.3611812 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone else here love Final Fantasy IX? My friends love FF, but dislike IX... I ask them for reasons and they tell me they 'just don't like it' :c

>> No.3611816

>>3611812

we have a thread up. also your friends are probably edge lords

>> No.3611821

I thought FF9 was bland as fuck. It wasn't bad, though.

>> No.3611823

>>3611816
This. If their favorite final fantasy is 7 or 8 then you can just go ahead and invalidated their opinion.

>> No.3611839

Haven't played it yet, but I plan to once I finish the FF games I'm currently playing.
I've heard the soundtrack though, and it sounds fucking incredible. FF8 and 9 seem to have the best music

>> No.3611852

The black waltzs' were cool as shit, the whole black mage story was great. Great theme and story over all. Horribly broken battle system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_7496AVNaE

>> No.3611867

>>3611812
I like FF9 but it's far from my favourite.

Here's some reasons to dislike it:
* Dagger being an unreliable healer and going mute for hours and hours
* half the cast doesn't have any character development at all throughout the entire game (Amarant, Eiko, Quina, Freya), apart from Freya these characters are also extremely boring
* being allowed to fight endgame monsters on disc 1 is ridiculous, Green Dragons are fairly easy to beat and you gain literally 10 levels the first time you defeat one, breaking the game
* the optional speed run challenge is literally impossible without exploiting a bug to skip unskippable cutscenes
* the final boss just appears out of nowhere and has no importance to the actual story

>> No.3611868

FFIX is too regressive and overhyped by nostalgiafags. The game design throws away all the advancements that V, VI and VII had made.

>> No.3611875

>>3611823
>7 and 8 arent GOAT
HOL UP ANON

>> No.3611878

>>3611867
>* Dagger being an unreliable healer and going mute for hours and hours

Like ONE dungeon.

>> No.3611883

>>3611875
They're good, just not as good as 9.

>> No.3611896

>>3611878
Pretty sure it was longer than that. Either way it was annoying as fuck. Gameplay-wise, what use is a healer if half the time she just doesn't feel like following your command? Story-wise, what did it do except make her look like a whiney bitch?

>> No.3611905

>>3611812
It's weak. The series was already dead when it came out.

>> No.3611910
File: 5 KB, 152x219, Blackmage-ff1-nes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

V > III > I > IX > IV > VII > VI > II > VIII

>> No.3611916

>>3611896
>Pretty sure it was longer than that.

two tops. It wasn't HOURS AND HOURS

>> No.3611928

>>3611905
>The series was already dead when it came out.
You're out of your mind. The Square craze was at its peak.

>> No.3611948

>>3611896
Elko is a better white mage. I don't see the problem.

>> No.3611954

>>3611928
This. The PS1 era was when SQUARESOFT COULD DO NO WRONG, even though it could (Looking at you, Vagrant Story)

>> No.3612186

>>3611812
Good music.

Game was bad.

Better than FF8, though.

>> No.3612208
File: 1.62 MB, 1024x768, Final Fantasy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Everything design-wise was fucking top notch. The characters, the architecture, the music- every screen was an absolute feast for the senses. The 3d models were way more good looking and detailed than the PS1 would ever show you and personally I loved the mini-games more than anything.

The first 20-25 hours (up until you reach the outer continent) were so god damn atmospheric- it felt like a world you wanted to be a part of and save. I feel like after that point and the Iifa Tree is introduced it starts to fall flat on everything it had been doing great up until this point and became another bland JRPG story focusing on uninteresting villains doing pointlessly evil things for hamfisted reasons and the whole second-planet alien invader angle didn't gel with the down to earth realism of the plot until then (a princess rebelling against her tyrannical mother). I started this game in 2004 with a friend, we both played our copies side by side and we just finished it a month ago (thanks to several instances of data loss). It's my favourite of the series but the writing takes such a huge shit all over itself half way through that I can see why people feel differently- especially most of the character arcs going nowhere. Anyway the combat is dumb and I got every tetramaster card/150 froggos/dead ozma/S rank treasure hunt etc so suck my dick

also trance is fucking retarded, quina/amarant are number one and I'm not gonna explain anything about this picture

>> No.3612224
File: 935 KB, 2520x2384, FFIX Anime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3612208
>also trance is fucking retarded
FFIX is my favorite FF, maybe even in my top ten... but I wholeheartedly agree Trance was retarded.

>> No.3612340

i like the game fine, but there are a few things that annoy me.

the battles seem slow, even on the fastest setting

the ending kinda goes off in a completely different direction. VIII had this as well, and IV too sort of. VI and VII and even V for instance, had endings that were much more connected to the earlier plot.

on a similar note, the plot will abandon or leave good material undeveloped. Its almost like the TV show LOST, there are very interesting things that either dont get explained or get explained in weak or underdeveloped ways. the black waltzs are a good example of this.

the card game is vastly inferior to VIII

I didnt care for most of the party characters.

>> No.3612342

>>3612340
and trance was retarded

>> No.3612420

As mentioned above the first disk of FFIX is absolutely incredible. World-building atmosphere and characters are practically perfect.

The problem is that it quickly falls down because Sakaguchi overreached in trying to do a big twist in the middle of the game. I actually don't think the twist is that bad in concept, the idea is fairly interesting. The problem is that execution of that twist is very average. On top of that, character development for half the cast gets dropped entirely.

Contrary to the other posters, I don't think the battle system is that bad. Feels to me that it was designed for beginners to the series, like a much better version of Mystic Quest. Yeah, it's a bit slow and not all that customizable, but it's simple and laid back. The Trance system is heavily flawed though.

>> No.3612439
File: 94 KB, 353x439, Vivi stop.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3611867
*Pretty sure that was only her losing her eidolons not being muted and that wasn't exactly a long portion of the game either.
*Yeah, if you completely ignore Freya's interactions with Sir Fratley and Zidane, especially since their relationship is more subtle. Also Eiko getting to discover more about boys (that hilarious scene when she sees Zidane and Vivi pissing), feeling sorry for getting her team into trouble, what we learn about her powers and her growing up with her grandfather and the moogles were interesting, as well as her "rivalry" with Garnet. Quina was a joke character more or less and was meant to be comic relief, so bad example although we do get to see him/her become a master chef as the game progresses and even ends up in the castle. Amarant developed from being a simple mercenary to teaming up with Zidane for the sake of the world and learning what friendship is, and had a god tier moment when Zidane saved him. Also all of them play a major part in the "You're Not Alone" moment which many people consider the best moment in the Final Fantasy series.
*Most people don't bother with the endgame monsters shit on disc 1 and even then they're considered hard as fuck, especially bosses like Ozma.
*The speedrun challenge is only impossible in the PAL version, not the NTSC or Japanese version. Eurofag confirmed
*Final boss is the only legitimate point you have.

>> No.3612442
File: 70 KB, 500x375, Grahf Master Asia.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3611954
Fuck Vagrant Story.
Xenogears is my fav PS1 RPG

>> No.3612492

>>3611823
7 is by far one of best... materia system is gold, battles are fast (compared to ff9), the game feel just right. Remove your fedora.

>> No.3612510

Best final fantasy game ever!

>> No.3612557

>>3612492
materia system is gold

I think you misspelled platinum.
honestly there has not been a better system since.

some one need to make a cross between this and the xanogears ap system to better it.

>> No.3612594

Now before I start I will say that I enjoy this game much as I enjoy every game in the series. That said, not a single one of them is without faults. So:

-Tetra force sucked
-It was less time consuming to break this game than it is FF8
-The character development, while present to an extent (some larger than others), felt pretty weak. Not as weak as Penelo literally being the same person at the end of FFXII, mind you, but not particularly FFIV either. You get large set pieces and events and at the end of it all only like 4 people are even changed long-term for it.
-Trance fucking sucks fucking dick.
-That fucking tonal shift that plagues the entire everything at the end of the first disc and goes on until the end of the game is bananas
-Fights drag on (which isn't a problem really)
-Kuja's everything in the last 30 minutes of him
-Necron's motivation
-Necron's appearance
-Necron's fucking everything
-Seriously, fuck Necron. I haven't felt this pissy than when I beat up the boss rush in Unlimited Saga and Chaos pops out of a closet.

All in all, I like the game. But I wouldn't prefer replaying it over almost every game in the series barring X-II and II.

>> No.3613863

It was a decent game, the only gameplay issues I had with it were:

Slow ass ATB gauge even with auto haste
No control over activating Trance