[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 127 KB, 1280x892, NES-Console-Set.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3606967 No.3606967 [Reply] [Original]

Recently I replaced the 72 pin connector in my NES. I couldn't get the original working no matter what I tried, so I just ordered a generic 3rd party replacement connector off eBay.

With the new connector all my games all work, but there's a bizarre issue. Some games don't work unless I push the cartridge down. Others only work if I leave the cartridge up. A select few will only work if they're balanced somewhere in between, with something lodged between the cartridge and the top of the slot. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which cart needs which position, but it stays consistent for every game I own.

If the cart is in the "wrong" position, I just get a black or frozen screen. I disabled the lockout chip long ago so I don't get the flashing red light.

Does anyone know what the hell could be going on here or how I should fix it? It doesn't make sense. Aren't all NES cartridges supposed to be manufactured pretty much the same way? Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Any insight would be appreciated.

>> No.3607179

Should have just gotten the blinking light win instead. It seems like that method has completely rendered getting cheap replacement 72pins obsolete.

>> No.3607226

>>3607179
Why? That's a $30 part, disabling the lockout chip is free.

Besides, the blinking light wasn't the issue. The old connector literally couldn't read carts anymore.

>> No.3607234

>>3607226
It comes with a redesigned 72pin connector if i'm not mistaken. It was also designed to fix the whole design issue with pushing down the carts and them not reading correctly regardless if they were pushed down or not.

>> No.3609070

>>3607234
>redesigned 72pin connector
Correct.
Totally redesigned. Nothing like the flawed design of the original.
Works every time.
Disables the lockout chip in a non-destructive and totally reversible way.
No bending of pins. No moving parts.

Get a Blinking Light Win. It really is what the NES should have had all along.

Do remember to clean your carts though. No matter if you get a BLW or stay with original. Clean carts are a must in ANY situation.