[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 32 KB, 440x410, 1347859659597.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3603260 No.3603260 [Reply] [Original]

Why do so many of you people find emulation to be the devil?

>> No.3603281

Because, just like cloning a human being, it's just not natural.

>> No.3603291
File: 1.71 MB, 244x249, 1438157346655.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3603281

Everything is natural. The only things not natural are the supernatural.

Anti-emus are just hardware snobs. Do what works for you anon.

>> No.3603298

>>3603291
>Do what works for you anon
Well that's kinda my point. Emulation doesn't work for me. Nnless I'm playing with the actual original hardware, it just doesn't feel right and ultimately fails to retain my attention.

>> No.3603307

>>3603298
You might have autism.

>> No.3603313

>>3603260
Most of the anti emulation rhetoric is hyperbole, I think generally people have a preference for one or the other but I don't think people legitimately hate emulation.

That said, I do prefer original hardware, but I'll use an emulator if getting the system is too cost prohibitive.

>> No.3603392

uh?
No?
Emulation made me play all the cool ass games I could never find locally

Emulation is as /vr/ as it gets the fuck you on about? No one here didn't think it was the coolest shit to play Hyper Dimensions on your PC when there were literally zero Dragonball Z games stateside

>> No.3603439

its illegal

>> No.3603469

>>3603260
It diminishes the value of my physical collection and horded, unreleased games.

>> No.3603489

>>3603298
>fails to retain my attention
That's because you don't like the game. When you've paid money for a game you subconsciously tell yourself it has to be fun because you've invested money in it. When you get stuff free you're not bound by the thought and actually observe the game, and by extension, the entertainment you receive out of it in an unbiased manner.

That being said I myself greatly prefer buying and owning games. It might be hoarding or autism, but often I emulate a game only after I've gotten a physical copy. Last time this happened was with Snatcher, a game I had wanted to try out for years but only got around to play once I found a japanese PCE copy super cheap.

Just do what works for you.

>> No.3603496

Emulation is great ,some people just prefer to use the original hardware,simple as that.

>> No.3603531
File: 94 KB, 393x303, Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 11.02.38.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why cant I play SNK games on MAME? I just want to play King of Fighters, I have the NeoGeo bios downloaded but still can't play them.
Pic sorta related, just beat the Simpsons Arcade game

>> No.3603545

>>3603298
and that's ok, you can enjoy video games however you want to

>> No.3603549

>>3603531
Well done. 1ccing that game is pretty good

>> No.3604093

Input lag.

I'm only like 20% nazi though. Emulation was how I originally experienced lots of great SNES and MAME games before I had the money for original hardware + flashcarts. Also flashcarts didn't really exist in their current form anyways back in ~2001. I still emulate occasionally on my Wii and 3DS.

Even with modern flashcarts, emulation is still a great way to try out games and systems to make sure you like them before dropping a couple hundred on the "definitive" way to play them.

Emulation is also for playing stuff with special chips like Lagrange Point or Star Ocean that have special chips not currently supported by flashcarts. Emu is the only way to play Lagrange Point in english with proper sound (at least without flashing your own EEPROMs)

Also great for saving space, a Wii or a modern laptop take up way less volume than the combined systems they can play, even with flashcarts.

The downside is emulating makes it much easier to "cheat" (actual cheating, save states), but really that's a self-control thing and not the emulator's fault.

>> No.3604102

>>3603260
To justify the money they put into their hobby.

Even PALfags will go a long way to tell you their 50hz crap is better than emulation because it's "the real deal".

>> No.3604106

>>3603489
>That's because you don't like the game.
That's not true though. Lemme give you the example which stands out most in my mind. My first exposure to playing Chrono Trigger was doing it on emulator. I only got as far as finishing the first 600 A.D. arc and I had failed to been grabbed and was just done with the game. Less than a year later a friend let me borrow his copy. Once I got to play the game on the real system in front of a real TV set I was hooked on CT and not only beat it, but beat it again on New Game +. That's undeniable proof to myself that emulation just won't do it for me.

>> No.3604107

It's like watching a film on your laptop while sitting in your computer chair but worse

>> No.3604115

>>3604107
Not everyone has a shitty computer setup like you do.

Besides emulation is also on TV, phones, tablets, etc

>> No.3604174
File: 12 KB, 728x447, test your might.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3604093
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

prove to me that input lag matters I bet you can't beat my score vr, I got this first try!

Using digital monitor with wireless m+kb and still got that number.

Input lag is a myth, the real problem is you not being able to keep up.

>> No.3604178

>>3604174
>1 try out of 5
Why do people still bait like this
Nobody is as stupid as your parents, junior.

>> No.3604184

>>3603260
We like to shitpost thats all.

>> No.3604186

>>3604107
You can emulate any console that matters perfectly at this point, play on a huge CRT and original controllers if you know how to splice wires. Do all this sitting on the couch with your buds. Literally no difference except you don't have to fumble with wires or to switch games and consoles constantly.

>> No.3604187
File: 617 KB, 490x745, 2 vertical laughing horses.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3604178
>his poor motor skills don't function quickly enough to be a basic human being.

>> No.3604189
File: 3 KB, 441x38, ss+(2016-11-06+at+02.18.59).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3604187
1/10

>> No.3604198

>>3603439
Stealing images is illegal, not emulation

>> No.3604202
File: 57 KB, 594x598, 1476569127874.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3604189
>BEING A NORMIE

I bet you are one of those people who believe that the human eye can't see past 30 fps just because your lizardman overlords told you that is the way it is. open your eyes and awaken your true potential!

>> No.3604205

>>3604202
>le normie meme
good one duder hahaha

>> No.3604208
File: 174 KB, 1268x613, ss+(2016-11-03+at+02.07.20).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3604202
>willing breaking the laws of physics
Careful where you tread.

>> No.3604210
File: 261 KB, 328x272, bitdance.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am positive most people against emulation were burned in the past during the emulation dark ages.

>things missing
>corrupted save files
>game ending glitches
>stutter/framerate drop

and the only solution was to wait for a patch which is rarely guaranteed and any deep problems with the core programming would often persist almost 20 years later.

Retroarch is a godsend. Emulation went from mostly inaccurate gameplay to only a handful of very specific games with minor problems. Its close enough you could trick any aspie into having fun if you set up a fake snes running Retroarch

>> No.3604397

>>3603260
I'm not really against emulation, it has allowed me to play a lot of games again, it has also allowed me to play games I heard of but never played, and it allows me to play new games as well. Emulation kind of sucks because there's still this or that, that is is still impossible or not good. Some games can't be emulated I guess. One thing I would like to see is say, if I play a pokemon blue rom on vba I want to be able to use that rom on pokemon stadium pj64, stuff like that. Or like on OoT I don't see how there isn't some way to implement rumble support or a visual indicator, I think they actually did that in the 3D release. But there's still a lot of cool stuff you can do. Some people just want to play it on console though.

>> No.3604517

>>3603531
Probably got the wrong bios. I have two different snk bios. One that works for mame, the other for fightcade. So on that note, try using fightcade aka finalburn alpha

>> No.3604559

>>3603260
I don't really give a shit if people emulate, but it just doesn't click for me. If I'm emulating, I'll play for 10 minutes and just get some "This isn't right.." feels and shut it off. If I can't have that CRT+clack of a cartridge insert+actual controller+no latency wombo combo, it's just droppped for me. The stars have to align and it just isn't possible with emulation. Flash carts are the shit though for what that's worth.

>> No.3604793

>>3603260
endowment effect

>> No.3604805

I don't care if people emulate, I just always found it stupid as shit for anyone to sell off their physical just because of a flashcart. I have no idea why people wouldn't want both honestly. Flashcarts are cheap.

>> No.3605036

>>3604202
>I bet you are one of those people who believe that the human eye can't see past 30 fps just because your lizardman overlords told you that is the way it is

Believing that doesn't make you a normie, it makes you retarded. There's never been a credible source that claims that to be true.

>> No.3605095

Like fuck I'm ever going to hunt down old hardware and cartridges/disks on eBay to play video games when I could get an entire consoles library with a few internet searches and be playing in minutes.

People who hate emulation are just edgy contrarians lol.

>> No.3605101

I only buy games that I've wanted as a kid, like as a way to put closure on my childhood.

Emulate the rest. Fuck it.

>> No.3605104

>>3604174
>Input lag is a myth, the real problem is you not being able to keep up.
No, the problem is not being able to predict the future. Regardless of reaction time, input lag can screw you up.

>> No.3605107

>>3605104
What hardware + software are you getting input lag in?

>> No.3605115

>>3603260
because they collect, obviously.

>> No.3605116

>>3605107
I don't have a CRT, so my setup already has some lag (about 4 frames, or 66 ms) but playing Super Mario Bros. (a game I can practically speedrun) on my Dreamcast running NesterDC really showed how much extra lag there was. I haven't measured it so I don't really have a good way to compare, but it really can be noticeable when you're used to less lag. A lot of it is relative, though. I used to use another HDTV and didn't notice any lag, but once I tried it again after being used to less it was unbearable.

>> No.3605125

they are all ebay jews.
>>3603281
emulation and cloning are both the future.

>> No.3605128

>>3605125
That and FPGA systems.

>> No.3605130

>>3605116
That's display lag though. That's very real. But if you're using a computer monitor or like a handheld there shouldn't be any lag.

Emulators should follow the same program loop as any other software uses. At least the simple ones.

>Get input
>Program logic
>Draw Screen
>Wait for framerate limiter
>Repeat

>> No.3605138

>>3603260
because a lot of the good systems don't have good emulators.

>> No.3605146

The only time you are allowed to emulate games is when it is otherwise impossible to get the game (Arcade games and unreleased games) and Rom hacks (This one is self explanatory)

>> No.3605153

>>3604210
>I am positive most people against emulation were burned in the past during the emulation dark ages.
this. sometimes it's even worse, i knew a guy who emulated snes on his psp and then concluded that there is no option other than getting a real snes to play in bed, even though some bluetooth gamepad + android phone would do, but he thought that android emulation is as bad as on various cheap chink handhelds, and when proven wrong just said that android is for normies(as if windows he is using is any better).

>> No.3605160

>>3605153
That seems so sad.

>> No.3605162
File: 14 KB, 238x192, 1478466604001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3604174
>300

>> No.3606060

>>3603260
Autism. Actually I think it's more like so many people will use shit like ZSNES and come across like complete casuals that it's easier for people to just say "Emulation sucks" and ignore them. I emulate most of my games, but I still buy original systems when I can even though I don't have the flash carts. It's a subjective thing, I didn't even see video games in person until the PS1 era so I feel no nostalgia or desire to capture "the real experience" for a lot of older games. For what it's worth I play all the 16-bit stuff and older on a CRT even though it's emulated.

The other part is probably butthurt hoarders realizing they spent years and thousands of dollars getting games that someone can download in 5 seconds.

>> No.3606104

I feel like this thread is populated by NTSC $$$ cucks where old consoles and games go for $100+

Whereas people living outside of that can get them for the equivalent of $3 in most cases

>> No.3606130

I have emulated like 99999999 games, im a serial criminal anons ?

>> No.3606148

>>3603260
Re-sellers.

>> No.3606154

>>3605130
I said extra lag. Like, on top of the display lag.

>> No.3606161

>>3606130
Did you play a 99999999-in-1 multicart?

>> No.3606226

>>3603439
Not if you delete your roms 24 hours after downloading :^)

>> No.3606246

I like to play around with hacking and development on these systems, something which would be very inconvenient without emulation.

>> No.3606262

>>3603489
>>3604106
It probably has more to do with the bias of getting to touch the cartridge in real life and feeling you're actually in possession of something meaningful in contrast to just a pitifully small amount of data stored on your computer amidst an universe of more interesting things to do. The game is the same in both situations.

>> No.3606318
File: 86 KB, 600x612, 1451786326346.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3603260
For me it represents the inevitable future that awaits all consoles and games. Eventually they'll all break down in some way, whether it'll be disc rot, mechanical failure, circuit malfunction, or just plain age. The people who'll want to experience those consoles will either pay unruly prices for the few still functioning ones or emulate. And after a while even those coveted few will be gone.
I guess the point is that I fear when emulation will become a necessity.

>> No.3606325

>>3603260

The majority of people on here will tell you TO emulate or buy the system and a flashcart/GDEMU/PSIO.

First is that it is stealing. If you don't own the game, you are stealing from the developers who actually made the game. You're also stealing from the hardware manufacturer you proclaim to like so much. Also, your stealing because you want "every game". I find the prices, even now, quite reasonable when compared to modern PC gaming or really any other hobby. For $500 you can get a bunch of systems and a lot of great games. Try getting into automobiles on a $500 budget.

Second is that the experience is not the same. Playing a game on an emulator on your computer is a completely different experience. There aren't even decent six button pads for genesis that hook into USB. They are all Chinese crap. Even if there was a decent controller you can't have a proper split screen experience with friends. Let's not forget that for most newer systems like the Saturn, PSX, N64, and Dreamcast the emulators look like crap compared to the actual game. You get to play the game on a computer instead of hanging out on the couch with your friends. It is like watching a pirate bay cam movie copy on your phone v actually going to see the movie in the theaters in full 3D on opening day.

>> No.3606429
File: 59 KB, 400x624, The_Fox_and_the_Grapes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT

>> No.3606447

>>3606325
>If you don't own the game, you are stealing from the developers who actually made the game. You're also stealing from the hardware manufacturer you proclaim to like so much

If the game is out of print and you're not buying it new from a retailer, it doesn't matter how you get it - the developers and manufacturers will never get any money from your purchase of that game (or failure to purchase the game, if you're emulating), and you're just giving money to the person who paid for it most recently (or to no one at all).

>the experience is not the same
Usually true - though it really depends on the game/system in question. Regardless of whether the emulation is good or bad, being able to play a game with a lesser experience (especially one that is difficult to find or particularly expensive) is often better than not playing it at all.

>> No.3606482

>>3603260
I find modern rereleases to be the true devil.
like Sonic Mega Collection and Mega Man Legacy. those games can be emulated very easily, yet instead of making new games, they just resell something we bought years ago.

also i only emulate old games, so i don't have to pay $200 for earthbound or World Track Meet on an outdated console. ill definitely support companies for today's games because they can't really be emulated easy enough.

>> No.3606485

>>3606325
>First is that it is stealing. If you don't own the game, you are stealing from the developers who actually made the game.
>You're also stealing from the hardware manufacturer you proclaim to like so much.
No. You're stealing from ebay sellers or wherever you buy your retro games from. Unless the game you want is available digitally, it's all second hand. The developers don't give a fuck. They're probably just happy their game is still being played at all.

>Also, your stealing because you want "every game"
No, I just want ANY game. The retro game market is awful. If I want to try something out first hand and I can't buy it digitally then I don't want to put up with resellers and collectors who act like bodyguards. "Only a select few deserve to play these games." Sit and spin.

>$500 pc vs $500 in retro games
You'll get more mileage out of a $500 PC than $500 worth of retro games. Especially considering emulation.

>Something something controllers
I won't argue this, I get it. I personally value the games over the controller I use. I do have a competent 6 button controller but I don't play fighting games often.

>Something something bad emulators
The only real valid complaint you have. I haven't used a saturn emulator, playstation 1 is graphically flawed by default and high resolutions magnify it. N64 and Dreamcast games look fantastic in HD though.

Everything less powerful is identical to the real thing.

>Even if there was a decent controller you can't have a proper split screen experience with friends.
>You get to play the game on a computer instead of hanging out on the couch with your friends.
What's stopping you from playing on a TV? Either move your tower, get a laptop or an HTPC of some sort.

>> No.3606510

>>3606447
>Developers don't get anymore money.

I knew this argument would come up. They do get money. Specifically in the form of royalties. There have also been plenty of "flashback" consoles that allowed the console manufacturers and the companies to continue to earn money off of their hard work. There is also PSN, Xbox Live, and re-releases on modern systems. Piracy reduces demand for those games.

>Stealing is better than not playing the game at all.

Used game prices are very reasonable compared to nearly every other hobby. Even a $50/month gym membership is more than getting into retrogaming.

I also love your head in the sand argument. They don't remakes the games as often because people steal them. They don't translate games because people steal them. They don't continue to make the hardware for the systems because people play them on PCs for free.

>> No.3606513

>>3606510
Remind me again where the royalties go when I buy a copy of Little Samson off of ebay

>> No.3606526

>>3604174
You don't understand why input lag is a problem if you think this test is meaningful. You're absolutely correct that any person can respond to a predictive event if there's only on action you can take (push button A at the sound/trigger!). The problem is responding to an event that is time sensitive when you're not yet aware what your respone action should be.

Want a meaningful test? Try a page like that where you don't know what button you'll have to press when prompted. That's more akin to how reactions in fighters or action games are.

>> No.3606527

>>3606513
No, see, they'll make a remake of it if you buy it on ebay.

That's the only way to prove it's popularity. Not e-celebs and let's players playing them on emulators. Cartridges!

>> No.3606529

>>3604189
The problem with added latency/lag is thr word "added". Games are built calibrated around human reaction time already, so any additional, no matter how small, pushes the experience out of the expected balanced threshold.

>> No.3606532

>>3606510
The copyright owners get your royalties, not always the game staff.

>> No.3606534

>>3606485

>It's not stealing from the developers. It's stealing from the resellers.

You know there is a market for these games and more games and systems would be re-released if it weren't for people stealing the games. Demand is a thing. Plus, you argument is that you are morally in the right if you only steal from certain people. This is wrong. You are a thief.

>I want ANY game. I can't afford things. That's why I steal.

That's the reason you steal, not a justification for it. You are a thief. If caught, you would go to prison. Stealing is wrong and people who steal are bad people. Even children know this. Again, you can try to justify it all you want, but you damn well know its wrong.

>I consider the hobby expensive.

Then save for it or work harder instead of being a dishonest thief. I also bet it people charged $10 for an emulator download and you knew how to steal a cracked copy, you would choose the cracked copy.

>Your only valid complaint is that the emulation is bad.

This is the type of person most of you are backing. A spoiled child who complains that something he gets for free isn't good enough. A person who cannot save $50 for a game instead of stealing everything they can.

>PS1 is flawed.

So don't buy it if you don't like it. Buy the PSN remake if it isn't up to the standards of a thief. You won't though, you'll shit on the hard work of others after stealing from them. This is a hugely egotistic attitude. It is like complaining the car that you stole didn't come with leather.

Keep on being a thieving google.

>> No.3606540

Friendly reminder

>if they dont catch you its ok to emulate games ;^P

>> No.3606545
File: 51 KB, 354x500, Taitolegends.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3606513

>LOL where do the royalties go?

Demand is a real thing. If Taito could make money off of re-releasing the cartridge or in a collection, they would. Probably in something like the picture on the left.

Again, your argument is that you don't mind stealing from some people. That is a shit argument. Keep on being a thief.

>> No.3606548

>>3605130
Emulators are more complicated as that. as they emulate processors. Your example only works for noral program loops.

Here's a good read on emulator latency for the interested, written by the guy that made the most accurate SNES emulator there is: https://byuu.org/articles/latency/

>> No.3606552

>>3603392
>I could never find the games.

Literally typing this on a computer. Do you not have a mailing address? Ever heard of Ebay? Amazon?

>> No.3606578

>>3606534
Good job rewording my points, dickhead. It really makes for a mature and meaningful conversation.

I'll start off with I've bought plenty of games on steam, the virtual console, and have a collection of collections. I've said "if I can't find it digitally", but you chose to ignore it.

I also like how offended you got over the PS1. I never called it bad. Jittery polygons and incorrect depths are flaws. It's a fact.

>> No.3606649 [DELETED] 

>>3606545
You didn't answer the question.

Tell me exactly where the money goes when I buy that copy off of ebay. If it doesn't go 100% to the seller, then you have no argument.

>> No.3606653

>>3606545
You didn't answer the question.

Tell me exactly where the money goes when I buy that copy off of ebay. If it goes 100% to the seller, then you have no argument.

>> No.3606826

>>3606653
>Didn't answer muh question.

I did, you just can't read.

To spell it out for a retard:

Stealing games reduces demand for actually purchasing them.
Less people purchasing games means it's less likely a re-release or collection including the game gets made.
Because its less likely to make income off of games, programmers will get paid less. Both because the company that develops it knows that each game a programmer makes is less valuable because of theft and because companies which offer royalties to programmers will pay out less royalties.

Any more questions to justify your thieving ways?

>> No.3606852

>>3606826
You still haven't answered the question.

I give someone money for a copy of Little Samson. Where does that money go? Its a simple question, even for a baiting moron like you.

>> No.3606859

>>3606578
>I've bought plenty of games (therefore I can steal what I like).

Another great argument. Why do you feel the need to justify your actions so much? If you actually cared about being a good person, you wouldn't be a thief in the first place. Don't pretend that isn't exactly what you're doing.

Are you not violating DMCA by making illegal copies of something that you don't have a right to?

Ask the developers' legal departments if they are cool with you making illegal copies of their companies' intellectual property.

>PSX games are flawed so I don't have to pay for them.

Uh-huh. Sure. You're definitely not a thief and a criminal.

>> No.3606868

>>3606852

>Where does the money go if I gift something.

So your argument is now because people can legally give away property you are allowed to steal property illegally.

The money goes to someone who acquired the property legally, unlike someone who commits crimes. It makes the programmers who made the game more valuable, because the games they make are more valuable.

Keep rephrasing the same question. It will probably stop being stealing eventually, right?

>> No.3606876

ITT poor dopers with logitech controllers and corporate shills.

>> No.3606885

>>3606868
So you're just gonna keep baiting and dodging the question. I'll leave you to your retardation then.

>> No.3606897

>>3606885
I answered it many times.

Answer these:

Is "Little Samson" the only game you have stolen?

If that game was $40 new from Taito, would you actually buy it from them or would you steal it anyway?

Does it matter who you are hurting? Because you are hurting people. People are worse off in this world because of criminals and thieves like you.

Keep on being a dirty google.

>> No.3607053

>>3606552
Sure, let me just jump into my handy dandy time machine and tell 11 year old me all about Amazon and eBay, and while I'm at it, see if I can buy you some reading comprehension online

>> No.3607170 [DELETED] 

>>3607053
>uh?
>No?
>Emulation made me play all the cool ass games I could never find locally
>Emulation is as /vr/ as it gets the fuck you on about? No one here didn't think it was the coolest shit to play Hyper Dimensions on your PC when there were literally zero Dragonball Z games stateside

That's exactly what you wrote. I wouldn't talk shit about people not being able to decipher that jumble of incomprehension. Learn how to fucking write. K Byeee Thx ;)

>> No.3607172

>>3603291
>everything is natural
Come on guy, ever heard of a building?

>> No.3607194

>>3607170
it was only you who was too dumb to read

>> No.3607396

>>3604106
He was correct then. It's not the game you liked, it was the feeling of playing something on old hardware likely because it reminded you of being a child. Chrono Trigger as a game in itself didn't interest you. It only interests you if it comes along with a feeling of nostalgia.

>> No.3607420

>>3606325
>you are stealing from the developers who actually made the game
nope, they are all dead or make garbage. in most cases money go to publisher, which are all better off dead at this point.
Besides, if you don't buy some shitty emulated re-release on virtual console or whatever, you are giving money to some ebay kike or some shit like gamestop.
>You get to play the game on a computer instead of hanging out on the couch with your friend
Are you fucking retarded? Today It's piss easy to connect your pc to any kind of tv and retroarch has interface designed for gamepad.

>> No.3607427
File: 135 KB, 256x341, Day_of_the_Tentacle_artwork.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3607420
>>3606325
I don't care for a lot of his games, but I like Tim Schafer's take on emulating. Which is that he says if you want to play one of his older games that aren't available new anymore he would rather you just emulate/pirate it and then buy a t-shirt from his company or something else to support them.

Personally if I can pay for a game legally, like with the M2 Sega Genesis ports then I like to support them that way. If there isn't a way to buy a game where some of that money goes back to either the developer or publisher then I just emulate.

>Second is that the experience is not the same. Playing a game on an emulator on your computer is a completely different experience.

I completely disagree with this though.

>> No.3607428

>>3607420
No, see, you don't get it at all. If you pirate 20 year old games then the programmers retroactively got paid less for their work because now no one can re-release the game and not give any cut to the original developers, because they don't own the intellectual property anymore anyway.

>> No.3607441

I recommend everyone watch this video. It explains how we perceive time delay

>> No.3607443

>>3607441
the video is called

"What is time to the brain ? Perception of time delation"

>> No.3607453
File: 184 KB, 956x888, sega_3d_classics_2.0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3607428
Except the opposite is true. When companies see an old game getting pirated and played a lot, it's an indication that there might be enough interest in it to warrant some sort of re-release. It's part of how M2 picked the games they would work on for their collections.

>> No.3607509

>>3607453
Makes sense that they could use that information, since a lot of sites track number of downloads and shit. Licensing and intellectual property rights are still a bitch though. I was just poking fun at the guy equating pirating old games with stealing from the developers, since (the original) programmers aren't getting dick from re-releases, it's whoever holds the rights to the content, so there's no way to steal from them.

>> No.3607548

I'm pretty sure there used to be a time when this wasn't a matter of religious warfare and people were fine with either option.

>> No.3607554

>>3607548
Outside of /vr/ it's still the case. Only people seriously invested in collecting hardware care at all whether others emulate or not.

>> No.3607581

>>3603260

What do you mean, "you people"

>> No.3607585

>>3603260
Emulation is the greatest thing that ever happened to gaming. Oh look, I can buy this obscure-ass SNES game from some turbojew like an autismos or I can look it up on Google and download it in 10 seconds and play it on my PC. Hell, I can put that son of a bitch in a flashcart and play on the original hardware.

How many fucking games I would have never played if not for emulation.

>> No.3607637

F L A S H C A R T S
L
A
S
H

C
A
R
T
S

>> No.3607643

>>3607585
This. The only people who have a problem with emulation are the ones hoping you will buy used games from them.

Reselling is the lowest form of making an income there is. No one should ever be encouraged to be a reseller of anything.

>> No.3607654

>>3606318
>I guess the point is that I fear when emulation will become a necessity.
I worry about this a lot too.

>> No.3607670

>>3606897
I wonder if this guy is a troll. Anyway, don't respond to me. I'll just ignore you and keep emulating.

>> No.3607672

>>3607172
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

>> No.3607676
File: 13 KB, 236x285, fishc23a2368.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3607670
Wonder no more. Trolling is his profession.

>> No.3607689

Emulation is just mega convenient. No messing with hooking up many different consoles.

Get a nice controller, TV and a laptop/computer near the couch and it is pretty much tops. Not to mention custom controls and patches/translations can make some games much better.

Originals are the way the developers intended it. Emulation is the way I fucking intend it.

>> No.3607710

Justifying their expenditures and/or hoarding

>> No.3607743

>>3607548
It's basically this: >>3604184
This board has become infamous because of trolls which are either /v/ kiddies(or from somewhere else) or adults who're legitimately autistic and don't understand the difference between messing around or joking or some serious argument.
There are other people in this thread who also seem to be more nuanced but like always, it's the retards (baiting or not, both are embarrassing) who get most attention.

OT: I don't actually have anything against emulation. Even N64 emulation is still better than nothing. I personally prefer a console with cartridges but it's definitely useful now that SNES emulation has become as accurate as it possibly can get on whatever isn't an original console from the 90s. I'd even say that it'd be better to emulate stuff like the NES because it's become ridiculous even for enthusiasts from the early days.

>> No.3607942

>>3603260
>Why do so many of you people find emulation to be the devil?

Reduced demand for actual hardware and software means their consoles and games aren't worth as much as they could be

>> No.3608385

>>3603260
I don't think anyone does. But we certainly find emubabies to be annoying little imps.

>> No.3608389

>>3607942
Reseller scum detected.

>> No.3608496

>>3603260
It's not really the worst thing IMO, but it's the more boring choice and illegal, as long as the roms are not pirated.

>> No.3608701

>>3607942
>I can't jew people out of their money so you should stop playing how you like

Fag

>> No.3608732

>>3607942
Please be trolling.

>> No.3608765

>>3603260
vr is the most autistic board on 4chan
don't try to rationalize it