[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 587 KB, 2592x1936, typical piece of art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3598954 No.3598954 [Reply] [Original]

Are games art?

>> No.3598965
File: 322 KB, 1280x853, hedgehog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3598968
File: 70 KB, 550x499, doom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3598970
File: 1.16 MB, 764x600, Castlevania-Symphony-of-the-night-Lithograph-Signed-Art-Painting.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3598973
File: 639 KB, 1324x992, 1478194318436.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3598954
I dunno but I want this on my wall.

>> No.3599029

no

>> No.3599039

I honestly think games should be considered art but who really cares what I think ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>> No.3599067

sure why not

>> No.3599072

of course

is art a game?

>> No.3599074

>>3598954
sure if the gamer community can handle games being treated like other art forms (they can't)

>> No.3599081

If a girl shitting paint out of her vagina can be considered art why can't videogames?

>> No.3599086

>>3599074
if that means heavily censored to appeal to non-consumers games can stay not art

>> No.3599106

>>3598954

If you have to ask, you're too stupid to understand the answer. And it's really not a complicated answer.

You have to start by asking yourself "what is art?". A quick google search will give you a reasonable definition of this vague and subjective term: >the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Now, this might seem obvious enough to people who aren't intellectually stunted, but the part where it offers painting and sculpture up as a typical example of what might be considered art is just that; an example. If you can't get the idea of Michaelangelo painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel out of your brain whenever you hear the term "art" and assume it's the only "real" kind of art then yes, unfortunately, you really are too stupid to understand the answer.

And the answer is this: I just fucking googled the definition of the word for you and it's written in plain english and it took all of 2 seconds to enter the words "define art" into my google search bar, so if you still don't get it, you're a fucking moron.

The question is literally so fucking stupid that you might as well be asking "is purple a colour?", absent mindedly scratching your head as you try to contemplate the idea of their being more than three primary colours and the possibility that maybe you could mix two of them together to make a new one.

tl;dr stop making these fucking threads

>> No.3599124

>>3599106
Is this a new pasta

>> No.3599135

>>3598954
Mario 64 is A E S T H E T I C senpai

>> No.3599136

>>3599124
It kind of needs to be. Roger Ebert started this bullshit meme and I'm as tired of it as that guy.

>> No.3599143

>>3599106

>works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

So only games are only art if their main purpose isn't gameplay

>> No.3599150

>>3599143
What if the gameplay itself is beautiful?

>> No.3599158

>>3599150
This makes sense.

>> No.3599171

>>3599086
>heavily censored
>removing a titty or whatever from an ad counts as Mass Censorship woahhh 1984

>non-consumers
>still pretending these people don't play games so you can continue using your sekrit club meme to excuse your relationship problems

>> No.3599173
File: 46 KB, 184x184, 1433373445158.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know if this is bait but yeah, I'd say they are. Gameplay and level design are a craft. Level design can "tell" a lot to the player and make him feel things. Most design elements aren't arbitrary and their purpose is to incite a response, or to nudge the player into playing better. Couple that with the fact that games include other crafts such as music, drawings (graphics) and storytelling (which, to be fair, are not as engrossing as when they're made on their own, but also to be fair are just there to compliment the gameplay and thus, not as crucial or intricate) for flavor. Some games are designed to accentuate flavor a lot more, and that might (or might not, who knows) diminish their design. Games are one hell of a product when you think about it.

I remember Mathewmathosis put it as, "games are a combination of science and art" or something like that? And they're both struggling, taking from one side, more often than not is done to help the other.

I really don't know what to say about strictly competitive games, though. I'm not very much into them anyways.

>> No.3599184

>>3599173
that "mix of science and art" claim seems really arbitrary to me. you could probably make the same argument for film and type and even then that's still a pretty ignorant categorization of what's scientific and what isn't

>> No.3599186

/tv/'s gonna freak, but it's like asking if movies are art.

Some are, absolutely, but others aren't, nor do they try to be. Same with video games.

Competitive shit, like LOL for example, is working harder at being a legitimate sport and isn't focused on artistic integrity or emotional response.

>> No.3599204

>>3599184
It's just one way to put it, and I don't remember if he said it like that. Maybe it was "math" instead of "science" or something like that? I'll check. He was commenting on Devil May Cry's combat, and how being used to the design of arcade games influenced its creator.

But in any event, it means to produce a piece of interactive media designed via non-arbitrary methods, with the purpose of being interacted with in a certain way and give it the shape of "art" (via graphics, music, script) to humanize it or make it more pleasant, and how over indulging in the "art" part might detract from the other.

>> No.3599356

>>3599173
>>3599184
>>3599204
I think video games are more of a combination of art and sport. The gameplay is the main component that makes video games distinct from regular games and other forms of art. Sure, games have their own visual art, music, story, etc. that are each art in their own right, but the real crucial component is gameplay.

Video games are unlike anything that has ever been before. It is a unique and beautiful thing that has never existed before. It combines traditional games with the advanced technology of video production and electronics to compose a completely interactive world that can be enjoyed singularly or with others. It does not require a certain level of physical ability like traditional sports, and it's much more advanced than traditional games.

The competitive nature lends itself well to compare to sports. Some sports can be done by oneself or with a single partner, while others require large teams. The same can be said of games. Sports in themselves are basically games pushing the limits of the human body. Video games pushes the limits of the mind. I think this is why most people don't consider it art, since sports aren't truly an art, though they are important.

Video games are such a huge part of my life, and I see the value and difficulty in crafting a video game. It elicits an emotional response in me. They may be made for profit but in the end they need to entertain to do so, and a lot of games are a labor of love and passion. I believe they are an art.

>> No.3599369

There's some exhibit at an NYC art museum dedicated entirely to art in video gaming, so yeah I guess some could be considered art.

>> No.3599394

>>3598970
If I had a haunted house I'd hang that somewhere.

>> No.3599395

Yes.

>> No.3599420

>>3599086
I'm sorry removed those alternate slutty costumes Anon, it seems to have really affected you.

>> No.3599430
File: 85 KB, 638x814, imfree.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are movies art? Are tv shows art? Are plays art? The biggest difference between those items that one would traditionally call art and video games is the player themselves having an active role in the experience more so than the other formats. Not all video games are worthy of being called art, but they are just as culturally relevant now as traditional works of art.

The tune to SMB, for example, is almost on the same level in our culture as Beethoven's 5th. Let's Plays exist for most games these days and wouldn't get the views they do without considering their artistic nature. And Speed-running (tool assisted or not) is like watching a master painter creating a new work of art. I cried at Aeris' death in FF7. If video games can instill in us the same emotions as art, then they are art.

So as a whole, I would say that yes the medium of video games is an art, but it is more than that.

If none of that works for you, then I leave you with one game that I would say indisputably on its own makes video games an art: Minecraft.

>> No.3599443

>>3599430
>I would say that yes the medium of video games is an art

I don't quite agree here. More like the medium of video game development can be and at times is a platform to create art.

>> No.3599460

Games as art, music as art, film as art, books as art etc. it's all just entertainment it only serves as something to keep me slightly less bored as I edge closer to death.

The problem with the word "art" is when you attach it to things it starts bringing out pretentious terrible bollocks and I'm sick of everybody breaking out their wank hat when discussing a certain game as IT'S ART MAN

Also when people aim for art house wankery in games it ends up awful

>> No.3599468
File: 30 KB, 600x388, 90-s-gaming-nostalgia-the-best-point-and-click-adventure-games-ever-made-741819.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3599443
You don't liken picking up a controller to picking up a brush and pallet? With each press of a button, with each stroke of the brush, does not the player/painter create something that could be considered art?

I agree with your statement about video game development, but I again take it further and would say that a player playing a game can be considered an artist themselves, with the play experience being the work of art.

Think of a game as a play. The writer of the play, or as I am taking this analogy, the developer of the game, sets the parameters for the play/game. The sequence, the lines, the setting, etc. However, the individual actors, or players, are the ones to bring the play to life, each adding their own uniqueness to the role of the player/actor/character. Although their actions may be set in stone by the play/game, they can still add their own flair of how to get there.

Minecraft is probably the best example of video game play as art itself. Minecraft is clearly a video game by almost all definitions. But in the act of playing, the player creates art, whether intentionally or not. Is playing with Lego bricks art? Is it play? I would argue that it is both. Why can't video games fall into both categories as well?

>> No.3599470

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/for_artfags_only/

>> No.3599803

Art is anything that someone could think "wow that's fuckin neat" about

>> No.3599809

>>3599173
The question is: Can a videogame be played without little or no artistic values? Yes, see roguelikes or tetris.

Can a videogame be played without interactivity and game mechanics? You would not call that a game.

>> No.3599824
File: 46 KB, 400x375, beethoven%20gameboy_thumb[6][1].png_imgmax=800.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3599430
>The tune to SMB, for example, is almost on the same level in our culture as Beethoven's 5th

But from here to say 50 years noone will remember SMB's tune, and Beethoven's 5th and every single symphony composed by him is still remembered after 200 years and counting.

Videogames are a pop culture product. They are relevant as long as the people that was around their release are still alive. Beethoven is not 'old music' but the top of the art, whereas Mario Bros is "an old game", and no one consider the games as a source of inspiration nowdays.

But now, think about this. The Illiad and the Odyssey, after more than 2000 years are still relevant. The greatest writers in our age and before made a lot of references to them. On the other hand, will Mario Bros be considered a 'must play' for the next Minecraft release? Or Witcher?

This is why people belonging to pop culture cannot compare Beethoven with anything made today, they lack of the perspective and understanding needed. For many (as it seems for you) Beethoven is an overrated hack that some dudes cannot get over it. And yet he will survive any fashion, any new pop manifestation.

>> No.3599831

>>3599824
>Videogames are a pop culture product. They are relevant as long as the people that was around their release are still alive.
Dracula was a pop-culture book. Nobody who was around when it was written is alive today. Still a huge pop-culture icon.

>> No.3599859

>>3599158
great gameplay is a thing of beauty, look at Doom or Space Harrier

>> No.3600101
File: 100 KB, 280x383, Super_Mario_Bros._box.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3599824
I don't think Beethoven is an overrated hack. No, SMB will not be a 'must play' for future generations, but it doesn't need to be. People just need to be aware of it, or even to have just heard of it for it to still be culturally relevant.
I picked the SMB theme song because it is literally the Coca Cola equivalent for video game music. It is known almost worldwide, recognized by more people than have even played the game, and has been played on just about every instrument and various non-instruments that ever existed. Can the same be said for Beethoven's works? Mozart's? Bach's? I say this not to belittle their works, because they are as great as you have said they are. But why are you discounting SMB's theme as a great work of "our" time? Of course we cannot know what the future will hold, but my bet is on the SMB theme being held up there against the other great works of musical art.

>Mario Bros is "an old game", and no one consider the games as a source of inspiration nowdays.

I would also take issue with this. SMB is actually a great example for video game level design and is still used as a beautiful, and one of the best, examples for how to teach game play mechanics trough play rather than instruction or tutorial. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2wGpEZVgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHq7kE4-YbU

>> No.3600116

>>3599809
I honestly consider Tetris more credible as an artistic product than any other game I've payed or seen yet.

I'd say video games are NOT art in and of themselves, just like music, painting, or drama aren't. Most of it is made just for entertainment (or profit), and is doomed to be forgotten. The "art" in more established art-forms is found in those works that can convey through their language emotions and values that transcend (is that even a word? I'm not english sorry if this is hard to follow) the particular circumstances and the fashion of their respective ages. Mozart's music is considered because it can communicate almost universally to man after centuries; you couldn't say that about most of the music that was made at the same time in the same circumstances. I think this idea can be applied to videogames too, and I also consider that videogames must be able to emancipate themselves from the influence of other media and focus on the importance of the interaction between the man and the machine if they want to be seriously considered """""art"""". That's why I think a game like Tetris is a more accomplished artistic product than, say, any Zelda or Final Fantasy or whatever.

>> No.3600117

>>3600116
oh and btw I fucking love Zelda games

>> No.3600125

>>3599143
Good gameplay should inspire emotions though

>> No.3600131

No, art was always shit.

>> No.3600327

>>3598954
Yes. All of them. Whether they're bad or good.

>> No.3600330

>>3600327
no

>> No.3600365

>>3599824
>50 years noone will remember SMB's tune
I will

>> No.3601557

No, they're entertainment.

>> No.3601587

>>3601557
So plays aren't art?

>> No.3601840

>>3601557
>>3601587
Exactly this as well. Some plays even have interaction with the audience. The audience as a participant in the play is akin to a player playing a video game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_theatre

>> No.3601847

>>3601587
>>3601840
going to some lenghts to prove its art

>> No.3601857

>>3599171
>>3599420
>The Jews desperately defend their awful practices
pathetic.

>> No.3601869
File: 1.26 MB, 1324x992, WOWDUDE3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3598973

>> No.3601984
File: 39 KB, 600x450, tmp_16865-181VQ-547503496.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3598954

>> No.3602123

>>3601857
>the gator is a /pol/yp
wow big surprise

tell me, if this media is so "heavily censored" then why can i easily find it in a 2-second google search? your faux-oppression larp fantasy is getting really silly