[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 30 KB, 250x356, 250px-PanzerDragoonSagaBox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3594176 No.3594176 [Reply] [Original]

Is it good enough to justify the price tag? How much would you pay for it?

>> No.3594191

>>3594176
You're asking US to justify how YOU spend your money.

Dude...that's your business. If you have the bucks to spend on Panzer Dragoon Saga, by all means...grab it. The reseller scum will drive the price all day until the inevitable bubble pop, but the game will be worth whatever YOU value it at. So buy it or not...don't ask us to make you feel better; seriously, consider where you are, and the average anons that post here.

>> No.3594209

>>3594176
To own as a collectible? Maybe. To play? No.

>> No.3594315

>>3594176
>Is it good enough to justify the price tag?
It's decent, though IMO a bit overhyped due to being one of the few worthwhile Saturn games that isn't an arcade port.

>How much would you pay for it?
1000 JPY I guess, because that's how much I paid for it.

>> No.3594375

>>3594176
Yes and no.

It's a sublime experience, so definitely worth playing any way you can. Best probably to buy it, play through it, and then sell it off again. Or just buy and play through the inexpensive Japanese version, like I did.

>> No.3594398

>to justify the price tag?
You do know price in retro games isn't related to quality right, it's mostly just rarity

>> No.3594413

>>3594398
>price in retro isn't equivalent to quality but rarity
Chrono Trigger and Rondo of Blood, games not even remotely rare, still go for hundreds of dollars.
Wew lad

>> No.3594418

>>3594375
>sublime experience

fedora=tipped

>> No.3594434

>>3594413
Rarity isn't the original print run, rarity is reinforced by supply and demand
If the demand is high, the end supply becomes scarce

Do I really have to explain economics 101

>> No.3594445

>>3594176
Worth the money? Not even close. Great game tho. One of my favorites. If you have the cash, do what this anon >>3594375 suggested. Buy it, play it a couple times, and then sell it. You should at least make your money back if not more.

>> No.3594482

>>3594176
I paid 144 Euro for my copy about a year ago. Just got lucky on ebay I guess.

No way I would ever pay more than that. Buy low, sell high as with anything.

>> No.3594490

>>3594434
There's also a thing called "Price gouging"

>> No.3594505

>>3594490
Well obviously, it's not as straightforward

It doesn't always work though, unless there's some cartel involved (at least successful ones), which in this tiny retro market I still think it's a little tinfoily, but hey it's possible

There are online stores that I follow that have high as fuck prices on the same games for years now and nobody ever buys them. The same product is always on display and the blockhead running the store refuses to change it, thinking he'll get a lucky break someday.

In general the market ends up self regulating, and price gougers are the exception to the rule I believe. Because there's always some dummy that shows up on amazon or garage sales selling their "childhood games" for pennies. Thou unfortunately they're becoming increasingly rare these days

>> No.3594508

>>3594176
>Is it good enough to justify the price tag? How much would you pay for it?

Don't listen to anons like this.
>>3594315
>>3594445

Regardless if you like the game or not, Panzer Dragoon Saga is the only RPG at the time and really since that went head to head with the FF games.

The graphics are amazing, the music is amazing, the gameplay is different.Does it justify the price? Well the NTSC U version is certainly rare I think most would agree. Not bullshit rare like these idiots >>3594398
>>3594434 that think demand = rarity. That's some underage millennial pop figure collector logic. It's under 30k copies and who knows how many are still around. It's traded on ebay a lot so the demand is there an it's an easy sell. As a collectible that makes it a good one as an investment. The drawback is you're dealing with CDs and that makes it a fragile investment. So actually playing it can be a bit stressful. It's also going up in a value.

In total I have owned 4 copies of this but ended up selling it each time because I just hate replaying RPGs and having games I don't play sit around. But something about Saga is special and I want it on my shelf. The first one in about 2010 I paid $300 which was new. The most I paid was $580. Reselling them I have made money every time. I do not currently own a copy nor plan to again but who knows.

I have said for awhile even before the craziness and eceleb shit that Saga was special and will reach $1000 one day. That has already come true with the sealed copies.

Really it just checks all the box.
-An actual good games. Amazing in fact.
-Legitimately rare.
-Maintains and is nonstop going up in value.

The only negative is it's a CD game. It's up to you if it's worth it. The PAL game is trash and the NTSC J game isn't really going anywhere.

>> No.3594517

>>3594508
>hat think demand = rarity
I said the exact opposite, I said if supply is low it creates rarity. But whatever my ninja.

>> No.3594518

>>3594176

I paid 80 quid for it in 2009 when I actually had disposible income

still haven't played it

>> No.3594523

>>3594517
>Rarity isn't the original print run, rarity is reinforced by supply and demand
I read this. I assumed you were the same person.

It's something I see with the pop figure collectors that try to justify their expensive 1 out of x000+ run figure.

>> No.3594527

>>3594176
Back when it was 100-150€ about 6 years back, yes, it justified the price tag.

Nowadays, it costs 5-6x that much, which is overkill if you just want to play the game.

The Japanese version is still pretty cheap though.

>> No.3594532

>>3594523
I am the same person

What I mean is pretty simple, it's rare because what's on the on the buying pool is way smaller than the pool of the original print run that already found an owner. Overall a lot of copies exist obviously, but the copies you can actually buy on the open market are scarce, thus existing a low supply, thus the "rarity". If you don't like the name call it supply scarcity.

I'm not trying to justify anything or say that I would pay ridiculous prices for those games, I'm just reporting on reality, there are retards willing to pay ridiculous prices for those games and fuck up the prices for everybody else. Obviously there's also some price gouging involved but that's another story.

I still only buy used games around 5€ to 10€ max, and I own a couple of rare games, just gotta keep your eyes open in your local area

>> No.3594537

>>3594532
>what's on the on the buying pool
See this is bullshit rare as I said. Something pop figure will soon find out when their beanie babies 2.0 investment becomes worthless.

Original run is rarity. Anything else is bullshit rare and pure market playing. Excluding outside factors like maybe the run was huge but a bunch got destroyed for some reason. Can't think of any example off the top of my head for video games but something like that.

Some of the rarest NES games are still under $80. Well under in fact because true collector don't talk about it and ecelebs are too retarded to care for the most part. Rarity and value aren't indicators of either.

>> No.3594540

>>3594537
We're just arguing semantics at this point
As I said, call it rarity or market supply scarcity, pick whatever name you want, it will drive up the prices along with how strong the demand is for it.

>> No.3594545

>>3594540
>We're just arguing semantics at this point
How is that semantics? You're saying because a supply got bought up that it's rare. That isn't rare. People need to stop this shit. Do you understand the definition of rare?

What you're describing is the rarity of a thing being able to be bought. NOT and I repeat NOT the rarity of the thing. Completely different things that you idiots need to learn the difference of.

For a current example, look at NES classic coming out. Thing is sold out. Good luck getting one soon. You'll be on ebay because of the scarcity of finding one from say BestBuy. It however is far from a rare piece of hardware.

>> No.3594546

>>3594545
Semantics is the discussion of words instead of concepts. I'm trying to convey there is market scarcity, I'm not interested in discussing what word you want to use.

>> No.3594549

>>3594546
Can you read? I've been saying your use of the word is incorrect.
>I'm trying to convey there is market scarcity,
If you came out saying that then we wouldn't be having this conversion.
You however went full retard with the statement

>> No.3594551

>>3594549
Should read
I haven't been*

>> No.3594570

>>3594549
Anon this is getting really exhausting trying to repeat myself. Use whatever word you want, rarity can also be used in the terms of market availability, words aren't monoliths with only one interpretation and you have to read within context, and we were talking about markets so don't go full autismal on me.

But fine let's argue the meaning of words and linguistics on a retro chinese smoke signals board, but this is hardly about video games anymore ya know.

Take this non-games example just to make it more standard. You know how precious metals are considered "rare". Well they aren't rare in existence, they exist everywhere, they exist in abundance on the earth and they exist in abundance in the universe. The problem is they're hard to get to, what makes them "rare" is the market scarcity. They're "rare" because they don't have a lot of market presence, even though they aren't actually "rare" by your definition, they actually exist, a lot of them. The word is usually mostly applied to economics and market forces.

Although if you keep up the ad hominems I might just have to eject from this silly back and forth, as I'm a sensitive flower, and it's a sunny day so don't want to waste it.

>> No.3594593

>>3594570
This isn't the meaning of the word dumbass.
Is false.

Please fuck off back to your reddit pop collector page.

>> No.3594594

>>3594545
>For a current example, look at NES classic coming out. Thing is sold out.
Still available for pre-order at my local game shop.

>> No.3594645

Go buy Omega boost for PS1. It's a million times cheaper and you can play it on PS1, 2 and 3.

>> No.3594707

>>3594418
It's a great game. If you didn't like it, fine, but most people agree it's pretty great.

>> No.3594781

It's a really good game. Value is relative but since the game is truly rare and the source code is lost and it's a Sega game I doubt it's going to come down much so as long as you don't destroy or lose it, buying it is just a matter of putting some money into a neat little box on a shelf. Would it be worth $800 to play it through once? Fuck no but the rarity of the game definitely adds something to the experience of playing it or it did for me in '98 plus my girlfriend at the time bought it for me so it has memories associated with it - I also beat it while tripping on acid with another girl while my girlfriend was off with my manslut "friend" buying drugs in the city. If you paid $800 for it and played it today that alone might be able to give you some mixed feelings of close to my level since that really is a lot of money to be whirling around 100 miles an hour in front of you.

>> No.3594787
File: 8 KB, 173x160, .jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3594593
Very compelling rebuttal

>> No.3595162
File: 67 KB, 485x700, bitch what.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3594645
>comparing a third-person/rail shooter to a JRPG

>> No.3595176
File: 283 KB, 704x448, panzer-dragoon-ii-zwei-ending-screen-13 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

PDS suffers from both the fact that collectors treat is as a holy grail (like Earthbound for SNES), and also the fact it was released in low quantities, so there's a lot of demand and not a lot of them available. It's still not mega rare because there's always people selling it, but the prices are ridiculous.

If you have a Saturn, you should have a way to play CD-Rs, either by modchip or pseudosaturn, or rhea. Try it out and judge for yourself.
I'd say if you end up loving it, then go for the japanese version, as others have said. The price is normal and you get a better package with better art and full color booklet.

>> No.3595198

>>3594434
>Rarity isn't the original print run
In the context of games, that is the definition of rarity. What planet are you on?

>> No.3595229

>>3594176
I bought it about three years ago for $347

>> No.3595289

>>3594787
I was serious. I don't know why you post here unless it's just to try to get rise out of some anons.

>> No.3595997

>>3595289
>I was serious
This isn't the meaning of the word compelling, dumbass.

>> No.3596005

>>3594176

It's Saturn's Earthbound, so no.

>> No.3596808

>>3595997
>autism