[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 88 KB, 580x318, rudranohihou-boxfront.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3587363 No.3587363 [Reply] [Original]

What does /vr/ think of this game?

I've emulated a few times and got a little far in Sion (the knight) and the girl's scenario (forgot her name.)

I was impressed with what I'm assuming the size of the game being. There are 3 characters that you can select from whenever you turn the game on, each character goes through a total of 15 days or chapters before their quest is over. At the end when all 3 have come together an NPC you see throughout the game becomes the new leader of the last and final quest. So its fair to say its a large game, correct?

Characters do not learn character specific tech like Chrono trigger, no one has abilities like steal or blitz from FF6, instead you spell out or 'Enscribe' words in the game to create spells. This gives you the ability to use high level and destructive spells early in the game, the only thing stopping you is your amount of MP. These are called Mantras or; Words of Power. The possibilities are endless.

This is without a doubt the most complex and unique system of magic in a video game I've ever seen (I could only imagine this being the translator's never ending nightmare.)

There is an english translation (Unoffficial, yet still high quality.)

I've always felt that this game plops right down beside the other less played Square rpgs such as RoSa series, Live-a-Live, and Bahamut Lagoon.

The game has beautiful sprite and background work, and the music isn't something to be slept on either. I've always wanted to rip all of the magic FX but theres literally hundreds of spells. Alot of which are the same spell (graphically, but renamed and different damage. I've ripped the Lightning magic FX and that took days.

O yea; almost forgot, this game is hard as shit. Not 7th Saga Hard, but its quite a challenge.

>> No.3587374 [DELETED] 

>>3587363
>What does /vr/ think of this game?
ITSA PIZZA SHEET
I WAIPE MAH AYSS WITH IT

>> No.3587378

I don't remember it being hard after I learned the spell that absorbs MP, the one that inflicts madness and the one that raises your strength
fantastic game though, probably kawazu's most accessible game as well
pity he didn't focus on it as he did on SaGa

>> No.3587389
File: 265 KB, 800x461, 1114971-romansaga3boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3587378

OP here

What can you can tell me about the SaGa series? They appear to be hidden gems, I've only played Romancing Saga 3 for a few hours and thought it was really cool and fun. I really enjoyed the combat as it felt completely unlike FF or other square products. The character specific techs were really cool and I think the RS3 soundtrack is pretty darn good. Dat battle theme <3

Is it worth it to go back and play RoSa? My brother bought the PS2 remake for RoSa1 and he told me it was shit basically.

>> No.3587390

>>3587363
Not really fond of the gimmicky spell system, which seem to be its USP. It's still a fine game because of other strong points: good graphics with neat in-battle animations, I liked the separate scenarios and elemental system for equipment. And last but not least: top-tier music.

>> No.3587397

>>3587389
your brother is wrong
minstrel song is probably the best in the series
try saga frontier and the FF Legend games on the gameboy (basically SaGa games except III)
Final Fantasy II is also considered to be the first SaGa game

>> No.3588932

>>3587389
>My brother bought the PS2 remake for RoSa1 and he told me it was shit basically.
This is wrong. PS2 remake was absolutely great and I spent a good amount of time playing it. It has a rough start (or at least my character, the white haired guy) but after that it's fucking fun exploring the world and building your party. Definitely try it first.

>> No.3588956

>>3587363
>So its fair to say its a large game, correct?
Not really, it's just well built around having four different MCs who all explore their own parts of the world, the average SaGa game is way bigger in both scope, map and gameplay.
>This is without a doubt the most complex and unique system of magic in a video game I've ever seen
The Kotodama system is neat, but the magic library itself is pretty basic, there's no real crazy shit like any SaGa title from the Romancing series onward, like specific shields, spells that evolve with use or time stops.
>(Unoffficial, yet still high quality.)
It's mostly bad, serviceable, but bad.
I mean, they called the Kotodama system Mantra for some reason when Mantra has nothing to do with Kotodama and doesn't even describe how the system works.
>this game is hard as shit.
Really?
I think it's arguably Kawazu's easiest game together with Legend of Mana, it's too magic centric and given that you can spend as much time as you want coming up with new spells on the fly it's not really hard as you can cook up whatever you need easily.
You said you're playing RomaSaGa 3, keep on playing that, it blows Rudra out of the water in anything but graphics.
>My brother bought the PS2 remake for RoSa1 and he told me it was shit basically.
Your brother has shit taste, the SNES original is clunky and not so well designed but the PS2 remake is a GOAT game.

>> No.3589641
File: 115 KB, 1024x768, rudraforest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's a pretty good game. Looks real nice too.