[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 69 KB, 410x300, Rocket_Robot_on_Wheels_Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3583383 No.3583383 [Reply] [Original]

Why do some people claim the N64 didn't have any games, or lacked third party support, when it had heaps of games that were usually far more innovative and technologically advanced than anything else on the market at the time of release?

I mean, it was a good thing that the N64 focused on genres like FPS and TPS and open world stuff, because JRPGs and Metroidvanias and 2D games in general needed to die out as soon as possible.

>> No.3583385

>>3583383
>JRPGs and Metroidvanias and 2D games in general needed to die out as soon as possible.
OK kid

>> No.3583386

>>3583385
Those genres sure sell like hotcakes in 2016, don't they? They died out for a reason.

>> No.3583437

>>3583383

It had 296 games total

That is basically no games

>> No.3583446

>>3583437
plus over half of those games are shovelware

Nintendo fanboys will stop at nothing to justify their stockholm syndrome

>> No.3583467

>>3583386
Great argument, bro. eck, look at the pic you posted! Rocket: Robot on Wheels, the best-selling game of all time!

I forget, N64 started the wave of modern shooters, MOBA, RPGs and so on, right? Collectathons and 3D puzzles still sell consoles, right? How could PS even compete with its 2D Final Fantasy garbage?

It totally wasn't that Nintendo got its ass served to it when FFVII, MGS, Tekken 3 and Gran Turismo came out, no-no. We must not make this "mistake", bro. It was Nintendo's 15fps shooters that ruled the ball with perfected controls; we often forget it, but every console still uses the superior N64 controller, not that dual shock shit.

And Halo owes its success to Goldeneye. And CoD too. And CS:GO. It's not like FPS existed at all before GoldenEye. Rare singlehandedly started the genre on N64, not on PC as everyone thinks. So even Doom owes to Goldeneye.

> 2D games in general needed to die out as soon as possible.
Opinionated children like you need to die out as soon as possible, that's what I can say for sure.

>> No.3583475

>>3583467
>Great argument, bro. eck, look at the pic you posted! Rocket: Robot on Wheels, the best-selling game of all time!
It was Sucker Punch's first big game. It was a physics-based platformer where you could build a rollercoaster and then ride said rollercoaster.

Of course we wouldn't have modern Grand Theft Auto without the N64, because it was prototyped as Body Harvest.

>Collectathons and 3D puzzles still sell consoles, right?

What exactly do you think Assassin's Creed is? Oh, by the way, fetch me a dozen beaver butts for this quest.

As Rockstar noted, anyone who claims their modern 3D action games aren't based on Mario 64 and Ocarina of TIme is a liar.

>We must not make this "mistake", bro. It was Nintendo's 15fps shooters that ruled the ball with perfected controls; we often forget it, but every console still uses the superior N64 controller, not that dual shock shit.

You do realise that the N64's FPS control scheme was simply reversed and the C-buttons were mapped to the right analogue stick, right? The GC's right analogue stick is the C buttons.

>And Halo owes its success to Goldeneye. And CoD too. And CS:GO. It's not like FPS existed at all before GoldenEye. Rare singlehandedly started the genre on N64, not on PC as everyone thinks. So even Doom owes to Goldeneye.

GoldenEye sold over 8 million copies and influenced every single FPS developer in existence. That's why devs abandoned key hunting nonsense and abstract level design in favor of objective-based design and realistic level designs. We wouldn't have stuff like Deus Ex without GoldenEye, especially since Looking Glass (System Shock) were influenced by it, and also made N64 games themselves.

>> No.3583476

>>3583467
>It totally wasn't that Nintendo got its ass served to it when FFVII, MGS, Tekken 3 and Gran Turismo came out
Why the fuck would any sane person want to play an FMV-riddled JRPG like FFVII? The graphics were shit and the gameplay was so bad it is being completely scrapped for the remake. Metal Gear Solid? Okayish game, but ugly as sin. Its graphics would have gotten it immediately rejected by Nintendo certification. And the N64 had World Driver Championship, which is one of the best 90's realistic racing games.

>> No.3583485

>>3583475
Let me ask you a question: why do you even come to /vr/, if you like modern AAA games so much? Stay in /v/ and save us from insufferable opinionated children like yourself.

First you complain that games were "innovative" are not remembered here. But the answer is very obvious, they came out on N64 and few if any 3rd party games got big on it.

But then you argue that everyone should remember your shitty unicycle game because some big name AAA dev made it. By your logic, it sells = it's good = it must be remembered by /vr/.

So, you contradict yourself, basically. By your own logic, either Rocket: Robot on Wheels is garbage, because it failed to reach "muh 8 million" mark; or modern games are garbage, because they don't have "muh innovation".

Which is not unexpected, since you're either underage or retarded.

>> No.3583491
File: 331 KB, 1438x1324, Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.53.39.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3583476
> "Why the fuck would any sane person want to play an FMV-riddled JRPG like FFVII?"
> being that clueless

Since this is "muh sales" argument now, let's talk about sales. In case you didn't know, these are the best-selling PS games. Apparently, the market did not care about your taste. Apparently, everyone bought into FMV, and Gran Turismo outsold "muh masterpiece" OoT.

>> No.3583496
File: 10 KB, 200x261, DaunSindrom[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Why the fuck would any sane person want to play an FMV-riddled JRPG like FFVII? The graphics were shit and the gameplay was so bad it is being completely scrapped for the remake. Metal Gear Solid? Okayish game, but ugly as sin. Its graphics would have gotten it immediately rejected by Nintendo certification. And the N64 had World Driver Championship, which is one of the best 90's realistic racing games.

>> No.3583497

>>3583491
Notice how all those games are Japanese? You know how many Japanese developers Nintendo invited to be in their "Dream Team"?

Zero. Nintendo was very ahead of the curve. They realised that Japanese game developers and the kind of games their fans liked had no future.

>> No.3583501

>>3583485
What are you talking about? Sales and influence are very different things. Final Fantasy VII sold heaps of copies, but it was a massive dead end for game design. Literally nobody outside Japan proceeded to make games like FFVII.

>> No.3583513

>>3583497
Ah, the same Nintendo that nearly went down with GC several years later, and then made Wii. The same Nintendo that that was ignored by Japan with N64 like Sega was ignored with Mega Drive.

> They realised that Japanese game developers and the kind of games their fans liked had no future.
I like how opinionated Nintendo fanboys attribute Microsoft's success to Nintendo too. It really hurts them to admit N64 was largely a failure and their whole childhood was compromised by it. So they go full damage control and perpetuate their fantasy world where Nintendo invented everything. It makes them feel as if N64 really had games.

>> No.3583516

>>3583513
>I like how opinionated Nintendo fanboys attribute Microsoft's success to Nintendo too.
Well, Microsoft at the time of the N64's creation was busy preparing to "nuke" the Japanese games industry with Project Midway and Manhattan Project, their code names for Direct X and the Xbox.

>So they go full damage control and perpetuate their fantasy world where Nintendo invented everything

Nintendo didn't invent everything, though. It was British and American developers who largely did the inventing.

>> No.3583524

>>3583501
> but it was a massive dead end for game design.
And why should we care what you think about game design?

You're believing a very naive idea that "new ideas and advanced game design is what drives the market". It's exactly the opposite of that, it's driven by graphics, gimmicks, and marketing. Biggest sellers of the last year were games like CoD, NFL, FIFA, NBA, and Star Wars: Battlefront. Some of the best-selling games of the last 10 years were Brain Age and Wii Sports. So you're not just wrong, you're simply ignoring the facts completely.

"Game design" matters absolutely nothing in current year. FPS games slowly approach House of the Dead 2 now. Current RPGs like Skyrim and more so Fallout 4 have been on the road of dumbing down things for a while. Even fighting games like SF and MK have been largely repeating themselves over and over. No one gives a fuck about game design anymore when you have million dollar graphics.

>> No.3583528

>>3583524
>Biggest sellers of the last year were games like CoD, NFL, FIFA, NBA, and Star Wars: Battlefront.
Call of Duty constantly tries to innovate, though.

>> No.3583538

>>3583383
This whole thread is pointless.

People come to /vr/ because they LIKE old games, old mechanics and 2D. A lot of people here also hate "FPS and TPS and open world stuff".

If you want to validate your shit opinion, go to /v/ or some other site for children. They will gladly help

>> No.3583546

>>3583516
>>3583528
Noscoping intensifies. People seriously post memes like "modern games are so much more advanced with open world and realistic physics, how could those Japanese 2d consoles ever compete".

You imply without any arguments that your shitty "innovations" are good by definition, use it to prove your trendy meme game's superiority, back it by the sales figures for different games, and proceed to offer your "expert opinions" about the history of video games when in fact no one even invited you to talk here.

This isn't even /v/ anymore, this IGN boards tier cancer

>> No.3583548

>>3583538
How is it pointless? The N64 was responsible for 90% of modern gaming design trends. Including but not limited to rejecting stuff like precision platforming in favor of "hold direction and your character will jump automatically".

The N64 is the greatest /vr/ console, and the only people who disagree are either nostalgiafags or underage.

>> No.3583549

>>3583546
>back it by the sales figures for different games, and proceed to offer your "expert opinions" about the history of video games when in fact no one even invited you to talk here.
Grand Theft Auto V sold 65 million copies.

The creators of GTA V assert that anyone who claims they're not influenced by N64 games is a liar.

>> No.3583581

>>3583467
You're so fucking stupid, you are the one who should go to /v/

>> No.3583591

>>3583548
>"hold direction and your character will jump automatically".

So, maybe the N64 was actually where everything started to go wrong. I guess Ocarina of Time was a big part of the adoption of context-dictated Progress Quest controls.

idk about you guys but I have never been a big fan of press button watch movie gameplay

>> No.3583594

>>3583591
>I guess Ocarina of Time was a big part of the adoption of context-dictated Progress Quest controls.
Literally all modern third person games are based on two N64 games.

Ocarina of Time, where all platforming is automated, and enemies helpfully attack you one at a time.

Mario 64, where you spend 90% of the game goofing around in an open world environment with no actual point, and there is no precision platforming, difficult bosses, or anything like that.

>> No.3583605

>>3583581
>fucking stupid
sry im not ur cuckold father

>> No.3583606
File: 83 KB, 480x325, 144.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3583549
>>3583548
Ok now we know nintendo and nintendodildodronefags was responsible for modern cancer games.

>> No.3583692
File: 1.51 MB, 480x360, shockinglifts.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3583383
It is correct that the N64 didn't have very many games, or even very many good games.

But the good games it did have were better than anything before, during or since.

Quality is almost always more important than quantity.

>> No.3583705

>>3583383
I don't want to get into a huge thing over it, I think the N64 just appeals to some demographics and not others.

But my decision to buy a console has always been when there are 5 games on it that I can't play elsewhere and I know I'll regret never playing. So far since gen 3, the N64 is the only major console (not 3d0, jaguar etc) that I never got and never regretted not getting.

First party Nintendo never did a ton for me though. Decent games, but very few are system sellers to me.

>> No.3583715

>>3583594
>Mario 64, where you spend 90% of the game goofing around in an open world environment with no actual point, and there is no precision platforming
There's precision platforming in SM64 if you want there to be.

That's the beauty of the game. You can do fucking anything. The level design works organically with your moveset, and because of this your freedom of movement scales directly with your skill level.

See this webm: >>3583692

>> No.3583758

I mean I have a soft spot for Rocket but this thread is ridiculous.

>> No.3584642

>>3583705
>I don't want to get into a huge thing over it, I think the N64 just appeals to some demographics and not others.
Very much so. The N64 was something of a clean slate for gaming where a bunch of new genres took over. And people who wanting something familiar were left very alienated. When people say, "The N64 didn't have any good third party games," what they mean is the N64 didn't have third party games in the genres they wanted, from the devs they were familiar with. Japanese devs, in particular.

>> No.3585093

>>3583386
>They died out for a reason.
Yes. That reason be the shit tastes of kids these days.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

>> No.3585103
File: 40 KB, 459x229, Yamcha_gives_Tien_the_finger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3583383

You had me nodding along until the very end of your post.

Kill yourself. I want more 2D games. I love the N64 and defend it when I am able, but good fucking god just end it already if you actually have that lame of a perspective.

>> No.3585112

>>3583594
>Mario 64
>No precision platforming
You must have played a different game.

>> No.3585609

>>3583437
How many on Wii U so far that aren't digital exclusives?

>> No.3585619

>>3583467

OP is a retard, but this shitpost made me cringe hard.

>> No.3585721

>>3585103
>I want more 2D games.
there are more 2d games being released on PC these days than there are insects on earth. why would you need or want more?

>> No.3586596

>>3583383
I fucking loved this game. One of the most underrated games of the era.

>> No.3586625

>>3586596
>I fucking loved this game. One of the most underrated games of the era.
It's an absolutely amazing game. There is so much TECHNOLOGY in it. Like, the HoverSplat. When you shoot sheep with it, it changes their wool colour AND it changes their AI behavior. Building the rollercoaster and then riding it was simply amazing.

>> No.3587514
File: 47 KB, 495x363, tail of the sun9736935.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3584642
>When people say, "The N64 didn't have any good third party games," what they mean is the N64 didn't have third party games in the genres they wanted, from the devs they were familiar with.

Yes and no. While it's true that the N64 library didn't really interest me, it's not that I was hankering for more traditional games. My favorite thing about the PS was strange new game types.

The N64 just didn't ever have a lot of games I really wanted to play for whatever reason. That doesn't make it bad, just not a system for me.

>> No.3588530

>>3583383
Because it's an utter failure of a console.

>> No.3588593

>>3588530
>Because it's an utter failure of a console.
It didn't fail as hard as the PS1 and its piss-weak 3D hardware, though.

>> No.3588603
File: 187 KB, 361x691, Wow_stop_posting_anytime.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3588530
>not having movies and japanese storybook simulators means its a failure