[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 333 KB, 1920x1080, reddit XD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3568794 No.3568794 [Reply] [Original]

With the rise of emulation / flash carts and skyrocketing cartridge prices, has anybody sold their physical retro vidya collections and gone digital? Debating on going the emulation route, myself.

>> No.3568803

I let go of collecting and I couldn't be happier.
I sold all my shit and went the flashcart route.

Just wasn't for me I guess. Too expensive. Too time consuming to find decent deals if you didn't wanna get butt fucked by ebay/reseller prices.
Now I just play the games I like and not worry about that bullshit anymore.

>> No.3568804

>>3568794
>selling your physical media to pay for poorly emulated ROMs
How about keep retro vidya collections and emulate too?

>> No.3568826

>>3568804
for what purpose?

>> No.3568830

>>3568826
My little bro plays the physical collection I used to have.

Or rather, he did, before his parents bought a Wii and bought the games he liked on the Wii, so they didn't have to wrestle between systems.

Which I can understand, honestly, and it doesn't upset me since I'm not using the games anyway.
What DOES upset me is that he thinks chrono trigger is too hard and boring. Hopefully he grows to appreciate it, he is only 6.

>> No.3568834

>>3568804
>poorly emulated ROMs
The ROMs are as good as they'll ever be.

>> No.3568837

>>3568794
Besides N64 and Saturn, there is literally no reason not to emulate.
Prove me wrong.

>> No.3568838

>>3568830
>a 6 year old has shit taste
Oh wow, stop the fucking presses

>> No.3568842

>>3568837
Playing NES games on something other than an NES feels like a sin. This is not how shit was meant to be played.

This is coming from someone who has emulators on almost every system that supports them.

>> No.3568851

>>3568804
> pay for poorly emulated ROMs
What do you even mean by that? ROMs have always been free, unless you mean VC.

Emulation is 100% free. Flashcarts are not, but they cost very cheap. So I don't get your point, like at all.

>> No.3568852

>>3568842
you can apply that to any system with that logic.
not a valid argument.

>> No.3570598

Decided to sell all my games that can be emulated well. Having a big collection of games for the sole purpose of displaying them doesn't really interest me anymore, especially with prices the way they are these days.

>> No.3570626

I got rid of my SNES stuff since I honestly cant tell a difference between bsnes/higan/whatever it's named this week and a real SNES. I've played a few games on it that would show any lag problems and I haven't run into a single issue.

With that said though I still have all my NES stuff, since bizarrely NES emus are worse than SNES ones.

>> No.3570653

>>3568794
No. I decided a long time ago that I would only collect for the NES and emulate everything else and I enjoy my collection too much to sell it. I have considered getting some flash carts for the SNES and Genesis, but the prices are too damn high.

>> No.3572658
File: 180 KB, 1645x1539, latest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3568842
How do you feel about famiclones, then?

>> No.3572659

>>3572658
psone famiclone?
never seen that, looks interesting.

>> No.3572662

>>3568794
I was able to collect the vast majority of the games I'm interested in before the prices got out of hand.
I own about 500 games and 20 consoles, but I'm definitely not going to sell them, I really care about them.
I might sell something in the future in case its value skyrockets and I don't particularly care about it, but I would just use that money to buy more games, so...

>> No.3572667

>>3572662
What I really don't understand is the kind of collectors who want full sets of everyting and look for every console in existence. I don't believe they actually enjoy everything they own, it's like they're just building up a private museum. I feel like most of the increase in prices is due to shelf collectors (and/or hoarders?) and madmen price gougers on ebay.

>> No.3573116

>>3568794
I did it and it's great. Emulators are better than consoles on a decent computer for most systems.

I really don't care about having stuff. The fewer things I have in my possession the better. Less to worry about and moving is easy. I donated the money from my games to stop kids from starving to death.

If you really just care about the games themselves, emulation is the way to go. Flashcarts are cool too but I like to have everything on my laptop and being able to fast forward RPG's is really nice.

>> No.3573809

>>3568794
Roughly so. I've abstained from collecting and grabbed a raspberry pi. I've been looking for other such shrunken/reduced computers, up to ones with VIA CPUs, to round that out.

I'm in Toronto, so the collectors stuff market sucks. I'm pretty confused about the other side of the coin too, general tech stores are a bit intimidating.

>> No.3573813

>>3568794
I never even owned that many retro games in the first place, but I'll gladly sell the few that I have eventually.

>> No.3573835

>>3568804
>poorly emulated
>direct rip of the game playing on original hardware
???

Sounds like you're just a butthurt hoarder who is mad the plastic rectangles he spent tens of thousands on are worthless apart from dickwaving cred.

>> No.3573851

>>3568794
I'm an Emufag but i always wanted to collect but i never could because i live in a third world country.
But if i started collecting consoles i would just buy those games i love, there's tons and tons of mediocre games that aren't worth spending money on, especially on earlier consoles like NES,SNES and Genesis.

>> No.3573868

>>3570626
I prefer nes emu over real hardware on the fact that you can remove the sprite limit. And nes hardware is shit and ill never have to open it up and bend pins or clean em.

>> No.3573880
File: 42 KB, 407x403, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>go on craigslist
>buy a wii for 40$
>mod it
>can now play everything up to ps1 with little to no problems

Never been more satisfied with a purchase.

>> No.3573954
File: 27 KB, 640x400, natuero05862.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't understand you people that either have to go from one extreme to the other as if it was a huge commitment or statement

If I can't find a game at a decent price I just emulate. Sometimes I emulate even having the cartridge because I feel like it. Some systems I pirate to with everdrives and burned disks, some I don't and go full legit. Sometimes I even buy bootleg carts, I don't care.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Just enjoy video games you dingus

>> No.3573964

>>3568794
>sold
Nope, I just lost my NES, Master System, Genesis, N64, PS1, GB, GBC, and GBA collections back in 2012, so I decided it would be a better use of time and money to focus on emulation instead.

I've got 8,997 games linked up through Launch Box right now.

>> No.3573972
File: 115 KB, 1201x720, sh2angela.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3573964
Lost? How?

>> No.3573975

>>3573972
Lived with my grandfather. He died. Had to move out at 16. Family members said they'd put my boxes in storage.

They put them on the curb instead.

>> No.3573976

>>3573954
I've emulated in the past, but it's just not the same thing as playing a game on the actual console. And it doesn't mean I need to own every game ever made. I don't even need to own an original copy of a game, it can be a repro, or I can use an everdrive. It's the hardware that matters.

>> No.3573990
File: 85 KB, 451x425, disgust.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3573975
Wow. This is another one of those things I do not understand, along the lines of hoarders or shelf collectors.
I've read some of these "horror stories" here on 4chan about people who lost their games because their parents threw them away or sold them without their consent. You guys should get compensated for stolen property or something. I still have every game I ever owned, even the boxes. Nobody ever dared to touch any of my stuff because they know I care about it. Anything I lost is just stuff I misplaced myself.
I feel so sorry for you guys.

>> No.3574110

Flashcarts are the perfect alternative for people who hate emulation but are tired of dealing with the insanely overpriced retro market.

>> No.3574117

Why on Earth would I sell my collection now? Keep holding onto it and it'll one day become a retirement fund.

>> No.3574120
File: 35 KB, 200x148, 1471434520971.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3573990
some people have asshole family members, I have 5 aunts and 4 of them are awesome, and the 5th is a scam artist that constantly tries to get money from everyone in the family and has even turned her own daughter into a begging little bitch to help play up the guilt shit.

I remember once when I was a kid, said aunt was at my house making constant long distance calls, and my mom told her to stop doing that shit its expensive, and she just said "I'm family so whats yours is mine".

There's many other such stories too, the point I guess is just that you can't always trust family, just because they are family, lots of people are only family because of blood relation, but still squarely looking out for number 1.

>> No.3574173

>>3574117
Games you own: slightly add in value, barely making up for the inflation

Games you don't own: randomly blow up in prices at seemingly random patterns

>> No.3574187
File: 49 KB, 760x570, bear table bench.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Might as well put in my 2 cents.

I have emulated all my life, but had a lot of collector friends. They had full shelves of games, but played few if any of them. I wondered about it, but when I realized how much hassle all these games needed I gave up on it. From buying overpriced games to routing all of the consoles to TV and keeping them working, this is considered normal in the realm of collectors.

To me all of this feels like going hunting with a bow because you're hungry, when you have a burger joint next to your house. And even if you actually catch something—ta da, just like with hunting, your prey can turn out inedible.

I mean, it's OK, I got it, that's your hobby. For some it's the thrill of the chase, not the game itself. But if you really want to eat—or play—you gotta be insane to choose the hardest possible route when there's a 100x easier, quicker and cheaper solution. Simply eat normal food, and hunt for sport. Simply play the games, and collect as a hobby.

But no, there will always be purists telling you that if you didn't catch it, you can't eat that. They will feed you with stories of how amazing freshly killed bird tastes.

I don't know about you, but I've always found those people pathetic and miserable, forever locked in their loop.

>> No.3574191

>>3574173
>Games you own: slightly add in value, barely making up for the inflation
Tell that to my copies of Earthbound, Sunset Riders, Wild Arms Alter Code F, and Xenosaga III.

>> No.3574196

>>3574187
I guess the ones who "complicate their lives" by keeping up with the hassle of retro game collecting would just get bored if they simply played their games on an emulator. Even if we all have the convenience of buying meat at the shop, there will always be people who love to hunt for their food.
And it's fine by me, I guess, as long as they don't start acting like elitists because of it.

>> No.3574210

>>3574191
Which you totally picked for 50 cents each from some yard sale because you had foreseen their price would balloon in the following years.

In any case, if you have them—good for you. I'm just saying that not every game a person owns will rise in price as high as these 4. And there's no guarantee the market bubble won't pop by the time you will want to sell them.

>> No.3574216

>>3568794

I've actually emulated since 2011 but I'm currently really liking some of the games I'm playing and would dig physical copies. Don't have the money nor space, so it's something I won't be able to act upon too often.

Someone stop me

>> No.3574223

Is it really so hard to imagine that at least some people don't like to sell off everything from their childhood, especially when it helped define who they are?

This anti game library mindset here is insane. It's like someone giving someone else shit for having a first edition Lord of the Rings because they could just "download an illegal copy".

Is it sour grapes or is this just the younger generation bitching in this thread?

>> No.3574225

>>3574223
It's just people seeking validation for their choices. We're all in the same hobby, yet some of us choose to make enemies out of the rest of us if we don't practice that hobby the "right" way. So basically yes, sour grapes

>> No.3574241

>>3574196
In my opinion, entertainment is a very important need, despite many people don't appreciate its role in their lives, IMO. I think good-quality entertainment can easily make a human life much better, because I can certainly say it did the trick for me.

So, just like food, it's amazing that it's readily available today. It's great that you can get virtually all existing retro games for free, which you can download at a blink of an eye, and get the kick out of them.

But there are people who will try to be fundamentalists about the issue. They will always insist that emulation is deeply wrong, that it's piracy, not how the devs intended, lacks soul and so on.

I'm just think that playing and enjoying the games is infinitely more important and fulfilling than collecting them and trying to be a purist.

>> No.3574248

I collect the good games I like and don't bother with the bad games I won't play anyway. Getting everything seems like a chore.

>> No.3574252

Emulation is pretty cool too

>> No.3574364

>>3568794
A lot of people do, I've seen guys here talk about selling off near all their carts except for those which can't run on flashcarts (the ones with special chips such as SuperFX), regaining a lot of money and shelf-space while still playing all their favorite games.

>>3568830
I think he's probably a bit too young to appreciate Chrono Trigger.

If he wants a JRPG that is easy for beginners and easy to understand, get him Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, let him cut his teeth on the genre.

>> No.3574379

>>3570653
Considering a flashcart is less than $100 and can contain all the games you want for free, they can potentially be of great value to you.

>>3572667
I can't imagine there's a lot of those people, that shit takes up so much space and costs so much money, few people are dedicated enough to pursue collecting to that extent.

>> No.3574382

I didn't sell them but my dad did.

>> No.3574393

>>3574382
Did he share the cash with you?

>> No.3574463

>>3574382
what in the world I intensely dislike your father, in this moment

>> No.3574489

I sold most of my games including the zelda cd-i ones I had in perfect condition.

Seemed stupid to just keep that stuff around when I could at least make some money off it. I most likely will never play it and although I have huge nostalgia for my childhood and retro games I just don't care enough to collect.

>> No.3575281

I bought a PAL copy of Super Metroid in 2009 for £7 at a local game store. Just the cartridge.

I look on Ebay the other day and everyone is selling it at £40-£50 mark just for the cartridge. Debating wether to sell it.

>> No.3575506

How about sell stuff you won't play, and keep stuff you like? There are a shit ton of SNES games out there at ridiculous high prices. All I want are Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and X2 & 3. Rest I'll just get on an everdrive. Same with the N64. Just need Conker, then I will be content. Gamecube isn't even worth keeping, with the abundance of Wii and how hacked it was.

>> No.3575516

>>3575506
>Gamecube isn't even worth keeping, with the abundance of Wii and how hacked it was
GameBoy Player, online and LAN GCN games, slightly better image quality

>> No.3575523

>>3575516
Meant gamecube games. Gameboy Player + Gameboy Interface + GBA/GB everdrive. Also GCvideo mod and modchip for Digital Output/piracy.

>> No.3575584

I was happy with emulation but the Genesis sound chip is just never right. Finally Broke down and picked up a Mega Everdrive and I have no regrets whatsoever. It's a shame I hear the SNES and NES flashcarts have issues with their libraries.

>> No.3575648

>>3575584
They work fine, it's just the SNES one doesn't support some chips.

>> No.3575649

If you had to dump one system between SNES, N64, and GameCube, which would you choose?

>> No.3575673

>>3575649
It depends. If you care about accuracy, dump snes because you can emulate almost every game perfectly*.

But then again, gamecube games look great in HD. No real point in keeping the real thing then if your PC is strong enough.

>> No.3575694

>>3575673
Guess N64 emulation is still a clusterfuck mess?

I know Higan is pretty much perfect for SNES and Dolphin is pretty much there with almost every game. I only ever remember owning one GameCube game and would like to explore the snes more.

Is the Gameboy player any good or worth a damn?

>> No.3575737

>>3575648
I was thinking of getting the Super Fami chip games it doesn't support and picking one up. I've heard the N8 has other issues though.

>> No.3575927

>>3575694
The gameboy player is a fucking mess
You're better off getting a gba

>> No.3575945
File: 20 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3575927

>The gameboy player is a fucking mess
Dude, what are you talking about? The game boy player is a must-have. It takes any game up to the gba and you can play it with the GC controller, what more do you want? You've had problems with it in the past? If so, please elaborate. I love me some gb player, it's even better than the super game boy.

>You're better off getting a gba
How does that even compare? The original gba is not even backlit. You could use it as a controller for the gb player, though!

>> No.3575956

>>3575945
The hardware is great, the software isn't.
It outputs a 480p signal which wouldn't be bad if the image wasn't stretched with bilinear filter, which makes everything look like a muddy mess, especially for gb and gbc games. The colors are also severely desaturated and darkened.

You can use something called gameboy interface which replaces the default software, but I have no way of softmodding my gc.

I don't like how it forces you to use a border around the game, but at least there's a darker one that is less distracting, but why even force it to begin with. But that's a minor grievance.

> The original gba is not even backlit.
I have a GBA AGS-101 which is backlit, and there's also the the micro, but that doesn't play gb and gbc games.
Though for gb and gbc I prefer a frontlit model only using the ags-101 for gba games.
If you don't have a way to use gameboy interface, the Gameboy player is a mess with the default software. I still rather play them with a gba.

>> No.3575960

>>3575945
Gamecube controller is a piece of shit.

>> No.3575976
File: 28 KB, 500x335, 1294085821-wutangcontroller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3575960
Yeah, right. I bet you prefer pic related.
Are you also one of those guys who says N64 controllers are made for "aliens"?

>> No.3575985

I've been selling to buy flashcarts, they're cheaper and pretty much the same. If someone wants my legit carts then fine, I've sold all my childhood N64 games and bought an ED64, and I don't care at all. It's more convenient, I can back up saves, I can play all the games I care about, and I don't have to deal with retro prices or storage/maintenance of a big plastic collection. However, I still get to play the real deal on real hardware. I'm selling my NES games as we speak and I'm planning to get a flashcart for that system soon too. I've already made enough to buy it twice over thanks to inflated prices.

>> No.3575990

>>3575956
You have to have a border, GBA games are only 240x160 and are in 3:2 resolution. A 4:3 display won't ever show a full-screen GBA picture unless it's zoomed in too far or stretched to fit.

>> No.3576017

>>3575584
Everything that doesn't use special chips works fine.

Things like the SuperFX chip (or what they do) are apparently not easily reproduced on flashcarts.

I'm thinking since emulators can make the chips work, or emulate their function to allow the game to be played, there should be some manner of software workaround that you should be able to replicate. Or wait, no, I'm being fucking retarded, the chips assists with processing power and shit, no getting around that on hardware.

Maybe just have one each of the common chips built into the flashcart, and then have a toggle or selector for which chip you need to use? Though that might be expensive and difficult, and I don't know if those chips are easy to reproduce.

>> No.3576024

>>3575990
I mean a gay border with fucking drawings and shit. I only wanted a straight black border. Again there's a dark border with a very slight glow, but it still bothers me.
Again it's a minor grievance, but it still bothers me they can't do these simple obvious things.

>> No.3576051

>>3568794
I've got a few thousand games I'll never play. At least not on original media. I'm absolutely going to sell most of the ones a flash cart can handle at some point. But prices are still going up, potentially much higher. I don't plan on cashing out until it will give me enough to buy the boat I want. But I will if prices peak.

>> No.3576098
File: 2.69 MB, 2178x1086, GameBoyPlayer-02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3575956
>everything look like a muddy mess
Omg it's blurry. Yeah, I guess you can stick witht the super game boy if you don't want blur (it's limited to the original GB library, though). Don't act like other consoles like the NES or SNES don't appear slightly blurred on a CRT, anyway. Unless you're talking about a CRT monitor with an RGB port. If you care about pixel perfect upscaling just emulate. I feel like this is another elitist statement.

>I have a GBA AGS-101
Well, you didn't specify you were talking about the gba SP model. I'm aware that one is backlit, the original model isn't. I agree the SP is the best option for playing game boy games on the go. If only it had a headphone jack...

>> No.3576105
File: 13 KB, 600x475, GBA%20SP%20HEADPHONE%20ADAPTOR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3576098
I don't think I'm being elitist at all. All I'm saying is that are better ways to play GB games than the gameboy player.
If you already have a GB player, then fine whatever, I just wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get one since you'll get worse results.
The gameboy player isn't worth the money you can usually buy it for, and any gba is easily better and cheaper than it.

>If only it had a headphone jack...
Well I agree with you that is a major oversight, but there is a way you know.

>> No.3576124

>>3576105
Yeah, I got a game boy player just when it came out, back in the day. I have to admit the filter never bothered me. I also got a super game boy later on, and I liked it just the same.

I've always been a huge fan of portable consoles (my first console ever was the game boy) but nowadays I prefer playing my portable games on the tv because I've noticed my reflexes are hindered if I'm playing on a smaller screen.

>> No.3576150

I did that years ago.

I regret it now because i couldve gotten thousands more for my shit if i wouldve held on and if i wouldve grabbed all the shit i didnt because i wasnt collecting, thousands more.

>> No.3576165

If most collectors decided to sell their stuff, especially the ones with doubles and complete sets, wouldn't the prices go back down?

Furthermore, if the prices keep rising, wouldn't most people stop buying? I find hard to believe everybody just accepts the huge increase in retro games prices.

>> No.3576171

>>3576165
>I find hard to believe everybody just accepts the huge increase in retro games prices.

What's there to not accept? Are you in the business of denying reality?

>> No.3576174

>>3568794
I sold my collection and got a flashcard instead. I dont regret it, the money was worth it (several g's).

I can also finally play some great hacks like metroid redesign/super metroid zeromission.

Either go flashcard or original but NEVER go emulator, that shit aint right.

>> No.3576186

>>3576171
That's not what I meant. I do realize the prices are indeed rising. What I'm trying to say is that I find strange that most people are still buying old games even when their prices exceed the original price, or even modern retail prices. I thought most people would have already quit the hobby, and the prices would have eventually gone back down, or at least come to a rest.

>> No.3576194

>>3568794
I'm not selling my collection simply because if I did, I wouldn't ever be able to re-buy everything again.

>> No.3576208

>>3576194
Even if you don't play most of it?

>> No.3576209

You guys might regret selling your carts. If you don't own the cart to the rom you have, you're breaking the law. Maybe law enforcement doesn't care now, but at the rate they are expanding and rumblings of things like SOPA, it won't be that long before people are facing jail time for petty copyright violations. Look at Kim Dotcom or the torrent sites going down and people going to jail. They're starting a "war on drugs" on pirates. Don't say I didn't warn you...

>> No.3576210

>>3576194
I bet you dont even play 99% of your shit, just like I did with my collection. Why would need to rebuy shit with stuff like flashcards, they work 100% like an original.

>> No.3576218

>>3576210
>Why would need to rebuy shit with stuff like flashcards, they work 100% like an original.

*for the games they support, you mean.

I fell for the flashcart meme and only one of the first four games I tried would function. And I'm not talking some obscure titles, but rather some of the most popular first part games that exist: Mario RPG, Star Fox, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island. I think only SMW functioned.

In the end I ebayed it.

>> No.3576224
File: 234 KB, 1920x1080, gaming_pc_under_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My PC is worth about £300 with £200 of that being a GTX titan. I play emulators with the original controllers including Wii games. Never had any problems and I saved my money to put a deposit on my house.

I think I have had just as much fun as collector fags.

>> No.3576230

Maybe sellers keep raising prices exactly because people are not buying retro games in huge quantities like they used to. They're treating it like an investment, they want to profit off of their stockpile of obsolete technology they spent so much time and money on.

>> No.3576232

>>3568803
This ,saved loads of money and can play any game I want

>> No.3576234

>>3576218
those 4 games are the only popular ones that dont work with a flashcard and its still BY FAR cheaper to buy a flashcard + those games.
You should have researched compatibility lists before hand anyway, dunno why you went flashcard route without knowing what you are buying.

>> No.3576235

>>3576186
I keep buying games, but I don't go to ebay or amazon and look for a specific game that I want. I just keep an eye out for games in the local area, and there's always bound to be a dummy selling a good game for 5€
As long as you're patient and play the long game you can get a bunch of good games for reasonable prices

>> No.3576236

>>3576208
>>3576210
Well I only buy games I actually play, so that's not an issue for me.

Flashcards don't give you that fuzzy feeling of opening a game from its case and putting the cart/cd in the console.

>> No.3576238

I actually sold some Saturn games because of prices being stupid. I thought I'd rather have 400 bucks than two Saturn games (Saturn bomberman and megaman 8 for Saturn). I know the games complete could probably quickly sell on ebay for 600+ but I was helping someone who actually cared to collect Saturn shit. people are nuts.

i'll keep my snes and ps1 fave games...but most of it is going to go if I'm offered at least 2/3rds of what I can get on ebay in person.

>> No.3576243

>>3576238
2/3
how much is the whole collection worth?
if its just 50-100$ I guess its okey but if your collection is worth a few g's you would lose ALOT of money just because you are lazy.

>> No.3576258

>>3576234
I would have if /vr/ didn't praise flashcarts in every possible thread, it just seemed like the no brained miracle cure. I know better now though, and accept it as a lessoned learned. In my defence though, assuming that a set of the first party flagship games would work should be fine. Obscure games? Yeah. But not these.

>> No.3576263

>>3576258
well I guess you were also just unlucky with those games, but like I said you can still buy those 3-4 games as originals and that would have solved your problem.

>> No.3576267

>>3573954
I like this guy.

>> No.3576268

>>3576235
You're still able to find deals in your area? Good for you. I thought such a thing was only possible in America or Japan. I live in Italy, finding retro games locally here is almost impossible, let alone finding deals. The last deal I got was a Hudson Joy Card from a local seller for 15€, and I still found it by chance through ebay, anyway.
Before that we have to go back at least two years, when I found a second hand shop with the grand total of 3 boxed NES games, and I was able to get Guardian Legend boxed for 30€.

Unfortunately most of the time ebay for me is the only way to get anything.

>> No.3576272

>>3576224
Those prices don't match up, considering the price of the Titan.

>> No.3576273

>>3576267
Yeah, I went pretty much along the same route.
As soon as I spent more than a 100 bucks on Conker's Bad Fur Day I realized things were getting out of hand. After that, I started getting bootlegs and burned disks. Never looked back.

>> No.3576275

>>3576268
Honestly I don't know if living in big cities helps or not. I live in a small town in Portugal and next to a mid tier size city, some deals still pop up from time to time.
Still what you see mostly these days is just PS2 stuff. I imagine our country's markets aren't that different.

>> No.3576291

>>3576224
Q6700 and 8GB DDR2 with a crappy mobo, psu, case, 120gb ssd and some old free mechanical hard drives costs about £100.

>> No.3576310

>>3576291
I don't know what kind of gobbledygook you just wrote (I'm not very tech-savvy, sorry), but I'm kind of interested. I've been wanting to get a new pc for a while, but on the cheap. Although I would be satisfied even with a 5 year old pc I guess, considering I already own a ton of rather old games I would like to play (like bioshock and Duke Nukem Forever) but my current pc can't really handle them properly.

>> No.3576313

>>3576243
i would say my collection is worth probably about 3000 bucks.

honestly I got most of my shit as an assistant manager of funcoland around 99-2003 or so.

prices were cheap, and then I'd get 25% off used games.

you're right. but I had an emergency dental bill that was 2k. that 400 dollars pretty much went to help pay that.

>> No.3576328

>>3576310
You're best off asking a friend nearby or asking /g/ to help you price up a build. These days the biggest bottleneck is the graphics card so I have a half decent one.

If you're in the USA components at the mid level are super cheap. It's worth asking /g/ for a build given your budget and what you want to do with it. You can also go the ebay route but it's only worth buying the graphics card there and the processor. Unfortunately new intel processors are super expensive so I still use an older Q6700 which works well enough playing the witcher 3 at 1080p.

Again I recommend asking a knowledgeable friend and good luck.

>> No.3576461

>>3576105
>>3576098

Also there is the fact that the 3ds can play gba games natively. Obviously it can't use the original cartridges, but it looks really good once you hack the thing.

>> No.3576489

>>3568852
Personally, I'm not picky, but if you're detail oriented enough to notice things such as slowdown not quite being properly captured through emulation, it can be off-putting.

>> No.3576671
File: 136 KB, 930x691, 1474045178763.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3576209
That shit will be harder to prove, and LEO will be hard pressed to find the motivation to give a fuck, you can't even argue things like health effects and gang violence (even though the war on drugs is the most significant contributor to those things).

It's like with loli porn, some states and countries regard it exactly the same as real child pornography, but people getting caught for loli alone is so rare it's insignificant (and that's not even getting into charges sticking), it's pretty much always used to pad out charges for someone caught with real CP.

That's the likeliest path I see this go, that some big distributor or other criminal (or someone who's decided to be a criminal) gets found to have some roms on his devices, and it's used to pad out his charges.

And that's if it even starts happening. This isn't to say I won't oppose it, but there's many worse ways in which The Man and the Megacorporations will try to shit on your rights, and many worse which they already do.

>> No.3576764

>>3575956
It's quite the hassle to get GBI working too. First you have to load an SD Media launcher or threw a hack, then run GBI and hope it doesn't crash and find the game Pak. Probably easier to just play the carts on a retron 5 or something

>> No.3576854
File: 47 KB, 852x480, the wife loves it.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3576764
>retron

>> No.3577179

>>3568794
>JNES instead of Nestopia
>VisualboyAdvance instead of Gambatte and mGBA
>ZSNES instead of Snes9x or bsnes

ewww

>> No.3577269

>>3568794
>those emulators and other programs
>that overstuffed taskbar
are you a 14 year old from the early 2000s

>> No.3577270

>>3576328
>Unfortunately new intel processors are super expensive so I still use an older Q6700

1155 Core i5 are very cheap (80-100 usd), would not get a C2Q today, if you already have it its great though

>> No.3577353

>>3568804
>pay for poorly emulated ROMs
roms have always been free

>poorly emulated ROMs
almost every console up to gen 6 got a cicle acurate emulator

>> No.3577381

>>3576328
>sub 30fps
>well running

Sure thing dude. Also, even a Sandy Bridge i3 performs better than these Core2Quad, and are pretty cheap. These things just aren't good enough for modern gaming.@1080p.

>> No.3577382

>>3576764
>>3575956
I wouldn't call GBI anything less than a hassle to get working, but you certainly don't need a modded gamecube to run it. You just need a softmodded wii, which most people here seem to have, and a compatible game. There are at least four good entry points that exist now- SSBM, agent under fire, twilight princess, and windwaker. I use windwaker because it only requires you to press START on the title screen and then any arbitrary homebrew on the memory card will boot.

You just throw your chosen game's hack as a save file onto your memory card along with GBI using GCMM on a wii, then start the game. No crashing. If you want more features, you can buy one of those gamecube to SD card adapters from hong kong on Ebay for like $4, plug it into port 2, throw Swiss and GBI on the SD card, and then you get all the features GBI has to offer like video settings and button remapping. The defaults are pretty good anyway though, so if you have the right game you're set and don't need to spend anything. You get 240p with no scaling by default. I recommend GBI-LL over the other two.

>> No.3577919

>>3577382
Wait you can softmod a GC through a Wii?

>> No.3578008

>>3576764
>retron 5
>pin ripping piece of shit that doesn't play SuperFX games
No thanks.

>> No.3578013

>>3577179
W-what's wrong with VisualboyAdvance and JNes?

>> No.3578020

>>3578013
Let me guess, you still use ZSNES too?

>> No.3578053

>>3578013
READ THE GOD DAMN WIKI IN THE STICKY

>> No.3578084

>>3577919
sort of. it doesn't modify anything itself, just boots a piece of software. look up "home bros"

>> No.3578106
File: 275 KB, 1000x750, DSCF7593.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3568794
I did this, not all in one go but over the years until now all I have is a Nomad, a couple of Saturns and maybe a dozen games. I don't miss any of it at all, but I was never really into the collecting aspect and don't like CRT screens so for my tastes emulation is better.

>> No.3578185

>>3578020
Please tell me you don't use the abortion snes9x is despite what the wiki recommends.

>> No.3578253

>>3578185
>>3578020
not them, Is there anything that doesn't run SNES like shit on a PSP?

>> No.3578329

>>3578185
It's better than ZSNES.
Tell me, why is snes9x bad?
BTW, best SNES emulator is bsnes-mercury.

>> No.3578350

>>3578084
Yeah thanks I got Gameboy Interface running. Should I replace it with Swiss though and launch it through there, or is there no other decent homebrew out there?

>> No.3578364

>>3578350
No. GBI is the best for playing GB/GBC/GBA games, followed by Swiss.

>> No.3578367

>>3578364
Yeah but isn't Swiss a thing to launch other homebrew or did I misunderstand it?

If there's no more stuff fuck swiss then?

>> No.3578427

>>3578367
>>3578350
Yeah. swiss is just a homebrew tool that can force games and other homebrew into other video modes, stuff like that. If you boot into swiss instead of GBI from memory card 1, you can launch any homebrew on the SD card in memory card 2, instead of just GBI. That makes updating easier since you no longer need to go through the Wii/GCMM first, just toss it on the SD. Swiss' only real use for GBI is to be able to pass command arguments to GBI with a .cli file to change settings.

I personally only use swiss to change the button layout on my controller away from the default. If you see an option you like on extrems' post (there are tons of video adjustments, borders, and zoom/scaling levels) and you have access to one of those SD adapters, it might be worth doing. Otherwise the defaults are all great on GBI-LL. You can't launch swiss and GBI both without the SD adapter, since the memory card hack can only launch one .gci file (and GCMM refuses to copy .cli files).

>> No.3578772

>>3578185
Snes9x is okay if you've got a weak PC that can't run bsnes-mercury, or a Wii or whatever. It works fine for all but a few games.

ZSNES is on a different level. No one should be using that.

>> No.3578842

>>3578772
b-but the sick gui and snow effect

tfw no zsnes emulator

>> No.3578848

>>3578772
ZSNES has the best GUI out of any SNES emulator though

>> No.3578852

>>3578842
But there is a ZSNES emulator:
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=5681

>> No.3578868

>>3575945
Love me some GB player. I can play every Zelda game up to Wind Waker while using that thing. I ain't a quality fag so I'm good. As long as I play without any bed problems and have a good time.

>> No.3578876

>>3578868
bad*

>> No.3579527

>>3578772
I honestly don't bother or care all that much about 100% perfect cycle accuracy, the tone of sound or music being subtly different, or things like that, if the gameplay and content is all there, that's all that really matters to me.

It's not like I grew up with these games on their original hardware to compare it to.

>> No.3579554

>>3579527
Doesn't excuse using a worse emulator when better ones are readily available for free.

>> No.3579565

>>3579554
Doesn't the cycle accurate ones require substantially more memory and processing though? My laptop is a complete shitbucket.

>> No.3579592

>>3579565
If you can browse the internet, you can run Snes9x just fine.

>> No.3579617

>>3579565
lol no, unless it's higan.

>> No.3579681

>>3579592
Did SNESx9 just become good over the years or what? I remember as a kid that near half of all games I downloaded would simply refuse to run at all, while on ZSNES there would be no problem.

Sometimes a game which worked before would one day stop working and never work again.
I also remember the UI not being as good.

>> No.3579703

>>3579681
It's been more accurate than ZSNES for at least a decade. There are only a handful of games with issues nowadays, in no small part thanks to byuu's help.

>> No.3579748

>>3568794
Looking at this screenshot I realize Metroid: Zero Mission may have been the only good Metroid game.

>> No.3579814

>>3579748
Super and Fusion are great though.

>> No.3579846

>watching videos of yank flea markets selling games for $3-5

If only australia were like that. You'd be lucky to find a game for less than $10 here

>> No.3579891
File: 44 KB, 256x224, sewer-shark-sega-cd-screenshot-your-boss.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3579846
Try having grown up when these games were new and saving paper rout money for months to get a sega CD. Piddling about five or ten dollars for a game is really something.

>> No.3579907

>>3579891
Keep in mind that this is at flea markets in larger cities in the US where video games were a lot more common and widespread. If you aren't in this situation finding games is going to be a chore let alone finding the ones you want. In australia the average n64 game will cost anywhere from $30-$60 online with the more popular ones released at the end of the systems life costing anwhere up of $80-$160

In the early to mid 2000s i was still playing n64 and ps1 games because i lived in a small country town and the only place i could get games from was the local video rental.

I've managed to get some older games by asking friends if they still have anything sitting in their closets but still, i want to kick myself for not getting more games before 2012 when the 90s nostalgia boom kicked in and the price of video games shot up

>> No.3579913

>>3579907
I think it's just the reality of collecting old stuff. If anyone else really likes it, it'll mostly just go up in price over time. But even still, the prices I paid for a lot of this stuff back then feels a lot steeper than what most people complain about on here.

I did used to buy used back in the early 00's and things were cheaper, I remember getting almost every major SNES RPG at a Zellers for 7.99 each because everything was just randomly in bags. But that was at an odd low point when almost no one cared about them, that kind of thing is always an anomaly. Collector's items almost invariably rise in price with time.

That said, I also ditched almost my hardware aside from a nomad and a couple of saturns and just emulate everything now though.

>> No.3579956

>>3577353
>roms have always been free

Only if you break the law. That's like saying "food has always been free" because you can grow your own or steal it. Not an argument. (And before you attack a strawman, I'm not saying piracy = physical theft.)

>> No.3579978

>>3579956
There's breaking the law in ways that harm other people and then there's breaking the law in a way that transgresses a rule but doesn't actually cause any harm. People do the later all the time.

My philosophy has always been that if I can get something by buying it new then I will do that. If it's not currently produced and money would just go to resellers, all bets are off.

>> No.3580290

>>3568794
I did this myself back in the early 2000's, but not because of flash carts. I was just over gaming for a while, becoming an adult and dealing with responsibility and time management. Also needed cash at the time and couldn't afford the constraints of moving and storing all that stuff.

I eventually came back to my roots as time has allowed over the year since, but I'm pretty happy just emulating most things. We're all pretty damned lucky to be alive in this period of time, when all of this is so easily accessible.