Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 3 KB, 320x288, town.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3567713 No.3567713 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

So, I see a lot of discussion about the uncanniness of early 3D games, like Super Mario 64. But have you ever gotten that sort of feeling from a 2D game?

I've always felt there was something really off about Pokemon Red/Blue. Maybe because I started with Pokemon Silver and mechanically it felt like going back to the stone age (even though I probably only played it a year after playing Silver). Maybe it was the bizarre off-model sprites that looked weirdly shoddy and unprofessional. Or maybe it was the fact that I was that kid with the GameShark and I spent a ton of time fucking around with the game and looking up glitches online. (Which ended up causing a lot of nightmares, I might add.)

In any case, when I play Red/Blue nowadays I have this nagging feeling that the game is going to fall apart at the seams at any moment. It's really unnerving and I hate playing the game because of it.

Has anyone else felt similar about a 2D game?

>> No.3567716

>>3567713
Blue was my first video game ever and there iss something extremely comfy about the gen 1 games to me

>> No.3567720 [DELETED] 

No.

Red was my first Pokemon game (released when I was in the 5th grade) and I still love it. Never really found it unsettling or anything, though some of the Pokemon sprites are certainly silly.

>> No.3567724

Yeah it's a little off. With all the glitches too and whatnot. Though all of this was accidental of course.

It would be funny if it fell apart! And you died... haha...

>> No.3567731

>>3567713
You have autism my man, seek professional help.

>> No.3567735

No.

Red was my first Pokemon game (released when I was in the 5th grade) and I still love it. Never really found it unsettling or anything, though some of the Pokemon sprites are certainly silly.

If you grew up with a later game, I guess I can see where the first generation could feel a bit odd. It was Pokemon before Pokemon was Pokemon, just a somewhat rough game that felt like something made by people and not part of the huge, sanitized multimedia empire that Pokemon has become. It didn't strike me this way when I played it for the first time (granted that was nearly 20 years ago), but comparing it to the later games in the series it becomes fairly apparent. No way would you see graphics so off-model and shabby in a modern Pokemon game, the amount of oversight/development/QC and importance placed on the series+merchandise is far too high. It really feels more like a company made game series now when compared to the first entries.

>> No.3567747 [DELETED] 

>>3567735
Somebody somewhere said that Pokemon was sort of like an indie RPG of the time.

>> No.3568676

>>3567713
Well there's always leaf green and fire red

>> No.3568681

Not really. It was probably the glitches and your young age.

>> No.3568685

I think it's all hogwash dreamed up by the creepy pasta culture.

Nothing disturbing or unsettling in it, but there was some feeling of mystique in those black and white, somewhat unrefined sprites that left a lot to your imagination.

It's absolutely insane for anyone to ask that graphics and sound never improve, but I do feel like something interesting was lost when we went to the Gameboy Advanced.

>> No.3568719

>>3567713
You were a child. Childs imagine weird things about the things they interact with.

>> No.3568769

>>3567713
It's the projection technique.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_projection

It's brilliant, though, so you just have shit taste.

>> No.3568817

>>3568769
Pretty much every 2D RPG besides Mother 1/2 uses that exact same type of projection. I don't see how it's relevant.

>> No.3569115

Yeah, to be honest the Gen 1 Pokemon games kinda creep me out. Other primitive rpgs don't really bother me. I guess it's because Gen1 has a really surreal vibe to it. It's marketed as this bubbly and happy world but it's all in black and white, the creatures sprites are kind of grotesque, the world feels really empty after you complete it, there's some pretty strange areas with dark backstories (pkmn tower and burned mansion), and of course there's all those glitches.

Honestly I think it's just a sort of uncanny valley thing. You expect Pokemon to be really joyful, so it's unsettling to see it in this monochrome empty world.

>> No.3569142

>>3567713
>POKEYMANZ
GTFO with that shit.

>> No.3569186

>>3567716
Same. Seeing the little houses, no bullshit getting in the way, no several hours long tutorial throughout the game, so many cool glitches to exploit, basic Pokemon with basic types, no bullshit overly complex story. That's all comfy as hell, not "uncanny."

Gen2 improved it in every way, but I still enjoy running through RBY now and then.

>> No.3569276

>>3569186
>Seeing the little houses, no bullshit getting in the way, no several hours long tutorial throughout the game, so many cool glitches to exploit, basic Pokemon with basic types, no bullshit overly complex story. That's all comfy as hell, not "uncanny."
You basically just described Super Mario 64 too, the game people seem to think is really uncanny.

>> No.3569297

>>3567713
I bought Doom 3 BFG Edition 2 years ago and kind of creeped me out a bit, especially when the dead sprites were always looking at you, but it's probably just my mind saying the game is supposed to be scary.

>> No.3569305

I was in third grade when gen 1 came out. With all the fake cheats coupled with the few that happened to be real (mew, missingno etc) I felt like there were eerie secrets just below the surface of the game. Couple that with the primary audience of the game being kids bad young teens and late 90s Internet and you got a recipe for rumor mills.

I'm 26 now. Anyone around my age remember how mysterious Pokemon Green seemed when we were kids?

>> No.3569308

>>3569276
>people
Who?

And there's a fundamental difference between a cozy 2D RPG and a wacky 3D platformer. I think you've just been reading too much creepypasta.

>> No.3569320

No idea what OP is talking about, GB Pokemon games all just play pretty much like standard JRPGs to me.

I did notice that games lost a lot of their "magic" after I learning programming, though.

>> No.3569329

Each area is totally empty. Other than random encounters, everything's very static and flat. It feels like a living world where everyone has been stuck and sit/stand there unblinking and unmoving, repeating the same things over and over, for the last 20 years. No matter how many times you go back, it's the same exact guy, in the same exact spot. The same exact creatures. Like things trapped in an alternate reality that just keep repeating in the same ways over and over and when you revisit them, you're actually visiting a frozen moment in time when the game was released.

>> No.3569390

>>3567713
Interesting that you mentioned Red and Blue.
I think the towns and sprites are very homey and comfy.

But for some reason I always got a really weird, mysterious, or creepy vibe from houses with no doors and like the areas that you can see but are blocked off on routes.
Like the seemingly forever tiles of trees or just empty space that you can't get to. North of the Pewter Museum for instance.

>> No.3569396

The only "unsettling" moment I felt in Pokemon RBY as a kid was the Lavender Town music. This was years before I heard about the creepypasta stuff. I remember hopping on the bike immediately after entering the first tile of Lavender.

>> No.3569409

>>3569308
>Who?
Look right here: >>3563292
>nd there's a fundamental difference between a cozy 2D RPG and a wacky 3D platformer. I think you've just been reading too much creepypasta.
I think you've missed the point pretty hard.

>> No.3569421
File: 66 KB, 1024x1024, Kakariko_Village_(A_Link_to_the_Past).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569421

Link to the Past always felt "off" to me. The world feels empty and disconnected, and the NPCs feel like they have no character or motivations.

>> No.3569426

>>3569409
Yeah no I was referencing that, it went over your head. Literally who? A couple dweebs on 4chan? Of course the same people who are scared of vaginas are scared of Mario.

The point you were making is that the same shit in two games can make them scary for some and comfy for others, and I'm telling you the entire premise is fucking retarded and solely influenced by creepypasta.

>> No.3569437

>>3569421
looks comfy to me

>> No.3569450
File: 220 KB, 900x504, pokemon_green___red_blue_comparison_sprite_sheet_by_fimxscootaloo-d5iqjvd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569450

The monster part of Pocket Monsters was really highlighted by gen 1 spritework. Very animalistic designs whereas later pokemon sprites are very blobby and cartoony. The original concepts shine through on a lot of these sprites way more than the too clean looking sprites from later games. Gastly in particular is literally vapor here instead of the defined circle with eyes he then became

and the stiff ass 3d models with the washed out colors from the newest games are shit

>> No.3569457

>>3569396
It was genuinely creepy music, really weird and sombre compared to the rest of the game, hence the creepypasta written about it.

It's kind of like the WGBH Boston theme inspiring the Wyoming Incident, just something initially creepy or off about it that others take liberties with and amplify.

>> No.3569462

>>3569426
>Literally who? A couple dweebs on 4chan? Of course the same people who are scared of vaginas are scared of Mario.
First off, why are you even here? Second, there were two threads about this earlier today but one's 404'd, and /v/ seems to have a thread about it every few days. It's not just a few dweebs. This is a recurring subject.

>The point you were making is that the same shit in two games can make them scary for some and comfy for others
I'm aware of this. That's the entire point of this fucking thead.
>I'm telling you the entire premise is fucking retarded and solely influenced by creepypasta.
I have zero interest in creepypastas. I've read maybe 4 in my entire life and thought they were poorly written garbage. The "buriedalive" one in particular was what turned me off creepypastas entirely because of how completely fucking retarded and factually wrong the whole thing was. Where's your argument now, huh?

Fear, and the feeling of uneasiness, is rarely based on logic. There are people who are afraid of fucking lotus flower pods, or being on one of those glass floor things in tall buildings. That's the point of the thread.

>> No.3569478

>>3569462
>First off, why are you even here?
Because not everyone here is afraid of vaginas or Mario. Some of us just like playing playing the games we grew up without cowering in the corner over them.
>Where's your argument now, huh?
The fact that nothing beyond "tech limitations are scary" being presented in the thread, is my argument. It's cool that you doesn't afraid of anything, just don't play it if it makes you uneasy. Why over analyze this shit?

>> No.3569484

>>3569450
Oh my god. You're so deluded by nostalgia it's not even funny.

The Gen 1 spritework, especially the sense of anatomy and proportion, is atrocious beyond belief. It looks like some kid on DeviantArt drew them. In fact I'd argue in terms of basic fundamental understanding of anatomy, they're much worse than the average sprites you'll find on DeviantArt. And it's not surprising, given that GameFreak was a tiny company at the time and had very amateur sprite artists. But don't pretend you like them for any reason other than nostalgia.

>> No.3569485

>>3568685
>I think it's all hogwash dreamed up by the creepy pasta culture.
>Nothing disturbing or unsettling in it

It's easy to say that in retrospect or if you weren't a super young kid when you first played them, but I honestly found the original gen Pokemon games to be kind of creepy as a little kid when they first came out and I played them

It was nothing ever explicitly scary, but just little things about the game that seemed creepy to me....the music in some areas, nazi symbols seemingly being scattered about for no reason, possessed witches, mentions of actual death and ghosts existing, the legendary pokemon whos existence wasn't really explained much and were hidden away in remote areas, the general "japanese"ness of it all which for a young American at a time when anime still wasn't quite mainstream making some things just feel generally foreign about it, of course the glitches and the schoolyard rumors that surrounded them in a pre internet age, and of course the main thing which was all the talk about genetic cloning and experimentation on living things

Like I said, none of this was explicitly scary or gave me nightmares or anything but all played a part in making the game seem very cryptic, mysterious, foreign, and somewhat occult which lends to a undertone at times that are probably made more noticeable in contrast to the overly cheery/kiddy appeal nature of the game as a whole

>> No.3569489

>>3569484
no i just appreciate it as a different sort of prototype version of the first 151.

>> No.3569491

>>3569450
The 3d is pretty good if you take off your goggles brah

>> No.3569503

>>3569484
I'm not him but I get what he's hinting at. Yes the G1 sprites were shit, but because of that fact the Pokemon actually looked like monsters or strange animals more often than later games, where they look like the cute adorable mascots they were always meant to look like

>> No.3569504

>>3569478
>Because not everyone here is afraid of vaginas or Mario. Some of us just like playing playing the games we grew up without cowering in the corner over them.
Then fuck off and don't "participate" in these discussions. It's that simple.

>The fact that nothing beyond "tech limitations are scary" being presented in the thread, is my argument.
What's the problem with that? Why did you just outright ignore the last line in the post you're responding to?
>It's cool that you doesn't afraid of anything
Your use of this meme doesn't make any sense in this context.
>just don't play it if it makes you uneasy. Why over analyze this shit?
It's a thread for people to express how people feel about certain video games, and that's what people are doing. Literally what part of this is so hard for you to understand?

>> No.3569508

>>3569390
This, especially the endless unreachable long grass that was on the outside of most of the routes

>> No.3569513
File: 8 KB, 533x596, good-looking-monster.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569513

>>3569489
Well then here's a drawing you'll like. He's supposed to be a cute mascot for my game but I can't draw him really well so he looks kinda scary. But that's all right, I'm sure you'll still appreciate it anyway because it's just a prototype.

>> No.3569519

>>3567713
I was a giant puss as a kid and even I didn't think Pokemon was "unnerving".

>> No.3569529

>>3568685
I dunno senpai, personally I found a lot of the video games and cartoons that I grew up with to be kinda creepy even before I learned of the creepypasta culture

>> No.3569531

>>3569504
>Then fuck off and don't "participate" in these discussions.
Nah, I'm right. Don't want my opinion? You can always not reply.
>What's the problem with that?
Because it's a dumb idea for a thread, half the posts here are reaffirming that, calling you autistic and your post hogwash.
>Why did you just outright ignore the last line in the post you're responding to?
As above. Dumb idea for a thread in the first place and I'm calling it out.
>Your use of this meme doesn't make any sense in this context.
Because you started saying "I've read creepypasta, it's not that, the game's just scary, bruh!" It makes perfect sense to use it in mockery of you.
>It's a thread for people to express how people feel about certain video games
And we already have one, that you linked me to. Why do we need two? And why are you getting so cut up about this? Make a good thread if you want good contributors. Simple.

>> No.3569550

>>3569508
fuck man, i always wanted to walk around in that

>> No.3569576

>>3569484
>GameFreak was a tiny company at the time and had very amateur sprite artists.


Gamefreak made quite a few games before Pokemon and they all had excellent spritework. Look up Pulseman.

>> No.3569578

>>3569513
deliberately making an effort to miss the point

>> No.3569592

>>3569531
>Nah, I'm right. Don't want my opinion? You can always not reply.
You didn't state an opinion. You asked for specific people. I gave you specific people. You dismissed them all as not counting for some reason. I questioned why. You didn't answer. That's not an opinion, that's sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending other people don't exist.
>Because it's a dumb idea for a thread, half the posts here are reaffirming that, calling you autistic and your post hogwash.
I can point out a number of posts agreeing with me, too. That's twice now you've just pretended that anything you don't agree with doesn't exist or doesn't matter. This is literally Tumblr logic, a website you really need to go back to.
>As above. Dumb idea for a thread in the first place and I'm calling it out.
Not an argument, dumbass.
>Because you started saying "I've read creepypasta, it's not that, the game's just scary, bruh!" It makes perfect sense to use it in mockery of you.
Then why did you reference a meme that doesn't relate to that at all?
>And we already have one, that you linked me to. Why do we need two? And why are you getting so cut up about this? Make a good thread if you want good contributors. Simple.
Those were about 3D games. This thread is about 2D games. You specifically said, and I quote: "there's a fundamental difference between a cozy 2D RPG and a wacky 3D platformer". Why are you backpedaling and saying that doesn't matter anymore?

>> No.3569595

>>3569578
How? I'd say it's a perfect analogue.

>> No.3569608

>>3569550
As a kid I always assumed that you'd be allowed inside that long grass once you finished the game, I eventually did by using gameshark cheats, it's kinda weird as it's actually called "unknown area" or something and it tends to crash your game if you stay there too long

It also extends far further off the edge of the map than you think it does, making it easy to get lost in the endless grass

>> No.3569631

>>3569608
>it's kinda weird as it's actually called "unknown area" or something and it tends to crash your game if you stay there too long
You're very mistaken. Those unreachable areas didn't have an official name until Diamond/Pearl, where it would give the "Mystery Zone" name as an error handler. In R/B/Y that area of grass offscreen is undefined space that the game replaces with grass tiles. The moment you step into it the game crashes, because to the game nothing is supposed to be there.

Proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3J0lq-H5U4

>> No.3569640

>>3569631
I dunno anon, I definitely walked around a bit in Yellow before the game crashed

>> No.3569642

>>3569631
Honestly that just makes it creepier

>> No.3569650

>>3569640
Then you either dreamed it or you weren't walking in the Palette Town grass. There are a few areas in the game that have unreachable grass tiles, but they're placed there intentionally, usually to ensure the maps can connect properly. If you were walking around in that, the game won't crash since it's actually a defined part of the game.

>> No.3569656
File: 5 KB, 222x222, golbat-color.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569656

>>3569592
Alright, let's recap, I'll lay it out nice and clear so a fucking dense moron such as yourself can understand. There's nothing unsettling about it, okay? It's an early video game, has some glitches, a graveyard and a burned out mansion, that's about it. It's not weird. It's not uncanny. It's shit that's been in other RPGs. That's my opinion.

You're scared of this video game because it's so "empty" and the sprites are "off-model." And then you're asking people to agree with you. A small handful of people are, but most aren't. I listed reasons why I don't find it unsettling. And then you compare it to a game that has none of those things (little houses - i.e; cute pixelated towns, no bullshit getting in the way, no tutorials, basic game and story). People in the Mario thread are saying the art-style and primitive 3D are what makes it unsettling.

Hence why there's a difference between a 2D RPG and fucking 3D platformer, you tard. Some glitches and pixelated little towns don't make Mario 64 scary, the art style and "emptiness" (what a fucking vague term) do. You get it now?

I expressed my opinion that it's all just absurd and only a handful of literal whos are upset with primitive 3D and this fear (to THEM, not necessarily yourself) is influenced by creepypasta.

Then you come in beating your chest and saying "nah, I've read that shit, this game on it's own is off." You with me so far? I make fun of your retarded fear with a quick, equally retarded meme, which you're putting far too much focus on.

And then ultimately it's my opinion that the thread is bad and you should feel bad, we don't need two threads for the same subject, 2D/3D or not. Finally, you're tard raging at people calling you out, and being a general hypocrite by saying that a 2D RPG and 3D platformer share the same unsettling qualities (which they don't), but that this discussion belongs in two different threads. Which is it?

tl;dr - get over your fear of Golbat

>> No.3569734

1/2
>>3569656
>Alright, let's recap, I'll lay it out nice and clear so a fucking dense moron such as yourself can understand. There's nothing unsettling about it, okay? It's an early video game, has some glitches, a graveyard and a burned out mansion, that's about it. It's not weird. It's not uncanny. It's shit that's been in other RPGs. That's my opinion.
Once again you've not only completely and utterly missed the entire point, you've resorted to rewriting events in your head to make yourself look better. It's clear that it doesn't matter what I say, you just won't listen.
>You're scared of this video game because it's so "empty" and the sprites are "off-model."
I, the person you're talking to currently, have said nothing of the sort. That's what *other people* in this thread have said, because, guess what? Other people feel the same way as I do. Holy shit, who would've thought that /vr/ isn't one person? Get your head out of your ass, you delusional twat.
>And then you compare it to a game that has none of those things (little houses, no bullshit getting in the way, no tutorials, basic game and story).
You're telling me that both Mario 64 and Pokemon Gen 1 do not, in fact, have those things in common? Have you even played both fucking games?
>People in the Mario thread are saying the art-style and primitive 3D are what makes it unsettling.
They're GUESSING why it's unsettling. There's no rhyme or reason for any of this to be unsettling, as I have already stated. We are talking about irrational fears. Everyone has some type of irrational fear that can't be justified logically, and if you say you don't you're retarded. This is a well-documented part of the human psyche. If you don't experience the same fears another person does, well, good for you. But this thread isn't about you, so stop starting shit with people.

>> No.3569742

2/2
>>3569734
>Hence why there's a difference between a 2D RPG and fucking 3D platformer, you tard. Some glitches and pixelated little towns don't make Mario 64 scary, the art style and "emptiness" (what a fucking vague term) do. You get it now?
That's why I made another fucking thread. Because it's a different thing. But the feeling of being "creeped out" is common between the two, so it is, in fact, perfectly valid to compare the two. I should not need to explain this. But I also doubt you could pass a third grade reading comprehension test.
>I expressed my opinion that it's all just absurd and only a handful of literal whos are upset with primitive 3D and this fear (to THEM, not necessarily yourself) is influenced by creepypasta.
That's not an opinion. That's literally making up facts in your head and pretending they're truths. How do you know who's in those threads? How do you know they read creepypastas? You can't and won't answer this, so you retreat into your little fantasy world. Again, pure Tumblr logic.
>Then you come in beating your chest and saying "nah, I've read that shit, this game on it's own is off." You with me so far? I make fun of your retarded fear with a quick, equally retarded meme, which you're putting far too much focus on.
But that's the problem. You didn't make fun of anyone, you just referenced an unrelated meme that has no relevance to the subject at hand. You're making mental connections even Barneyfag would think are stupid.
>Finally, you're tard raging at people calling you out, and being a general hypocrite by saying that a 2D RPG and 3D platformer share the same unsettling qualities (which they don't), but that this discussion belongs in two different threads. Which is it?
Oh my fucking god, dude. I never once said they're unsettling for the same reasons. All I said is they both inspire a similar unsettling feeling. Once again you're unabashedly just making shit up.

tl;dr: You're actually fucking delusional. Get help.

>> No.3569772

>>3569734
>That's what *other people* in this thread have said
I literally took that from your OP, jesus dude.
>You're telling me that both Mario 64 and Pokemon Gen 1 do not, in fact, have those things in common?
Yes, I am telling you, specifically, that Mario 64 doesn't have tiny little pixelated towns ala Pokemon, weird glitches like Missingno, no bullshit getting in the way (what are enemies? fetch quests? a bunch of stupid shit to get stars? shit that gets in the way, god damn, most you get is a Pokemon in the grass now and then, not at all the fucking same you kindergartener) and basic game (all of Mario's moves, you call that basic?). Basic controls, I guess to make that clear, god damn. I'm not starting shit at all, you're the one going on a tard rant over some simple observations.

What is even your point here? I'm not wasting the time to read any deeper through the rest of your post because I just don't care and people here don't care either. Here >>3569734 you say two unrelated games have those things in common, >>3569742 here you say you never said they're unsettling for the same reasons. So why even bring that up then? For fuck's sake. If it's the same effect in different formats, why make a new thread? Just make a Pokemon post in the Mario thread.

You seem desperate for conflict and of course reading far too deep into shit (obvious when you make a thread like this), but the question is why? Why are you so cut up about this?

>> No.3569803

>>3569772
>I literally took that from your OP, jesus dude.
True, I did say the sprites were off-model. I never said anything about the game feeling empty though.

>I'm not starting shit at all, you're the one going on a tard rant over some simple observations.
Oh give me a break. Look at this:
>>3569426
>A couple dweebs on 4chan? Of course the same people who are scared of vaginas are scared of Mario.
>I'm telling you the entire premise is fucking retarded and solely influenced by creepypasta.
That's not inflammatory? That's not just making up facts for no reason other than to try and piss people off? And the further we go through this conversation, the more aggressive you get, and the more bullshit you spew. True, I got aggressive too, but you were the one trying to escalate it, every time.

>What is even your point here? I'm not wasting the time to read any deeper through the rest of your post because I just don't care and people here don't care either.
This is quite a 180 from your earlier attitude. Earlier you were going out of your way to be an asshole, so don't "chill out bro lol" me.

>Here >>3569734 you say two unrelated games have those things in common, >>3569742 here you say you never said they're unsettling for the same reasons
No, the first quote says two unrelated games have some environmental elements in common. That's not even remotely the same thing. For fuck's sake.

>For fuck's sake. If it's the same effect in different formats, why make a new thread? Just make a Pokemon post in the Mario thread.
Because that's a thread about Mario 64 and, by extension, early 3D uncanniness in general. I've already told you why they're different, but also why I compared them in the first place. Stop being an idiot.

>You seem desperate for conflict and of course reading far too deep into shit (obvious when you make a thread like this), but the question is why? Why are you so cut up about this?
Again. All I've been doing is responding to your bullshit remarks.

>> No.3569823

>>3569803
>That's not inflammatory? That's not just making up facts for no reason other than to try and piss people off?
I said it, because it's...seriously fucking pathetic to be afraid some sprites? The whole premise of being scared of a kids game IS retarded, dude. I'm not starting shit, that's me expressing an opinion (admittedly in an objective method). I thought I made that clear, guess not.

>This is quite a 180 from your earlier attitude.
I've been asking for the last couple posts what your point is and why you're getting so cut up about this but you continue to tard rage over it. I'm getting tired of your time wasting shit, hence I've started asking you to explain yourself. Clearly you get insulted easily, so I figured if I asked calmly you'd explain. Obviously I was mistaken.

>have some environmental elements in common.
But they don't. Aesthetically (which was my point) they're fucking different. Your OP pic doesn't exist in Mario 64. The cute cottages and buildings (pixelated towns) are what make it comfy for me, the art style, aesthetic, whatever you want to call it. Come on dude, meet me half way here, I can't make this clearer. I'll meet you half way and say Mario 64 doesn't have a lot of detail in the landscape, right? That's not my point, but I can see why people don't like it. Mario 64 also goes for a more cartoony, colorful blob-like look and if I try hard I can also see why people don't like it. Pokemon? I just don't see what you see.

>Again. All I've been doing is responding to your bullshit remarks.
Likewise. This could've all been avoided had you kindly fucked off but you continued pressing this.

There's been a miscommunication and I don't have the patience to go in a loop all day. So let's put the fucks and tards aside and go back to the first post, what do you find unsettling about Pokemon? Is it the same stuff I find comfy? Explain your point. Let's have a dialogue, huh?

>> No.3569876

>>3569823
>I said it, because it's...seriously fucking pathetic to be afraid some sprites? The whole premise of being scared of a kids game IS retarded, dude. I'm not starting shit, that's me expressing an opinion (admittedly in an objective method). I thought I made that clear, guess not.
No, you didn't. You just spewed insults instead of trying to justify yourself.
>I've been asking for the last couple posts what your point is and why you're getting so cut up about this but you continue to tard rage over it. I'm getting tired of your time wasting shit, hence I've started asking you to explain yourself. Clearly you get insulted easily, so I figured if I asked calmly you'd explain. Obviously I was mistaken.
Bullshit. Two posts ago, you were acting like this: >>3569656
Where not a single not a single question was asked, all you did was act like a fucking sperg, insult me, misrepresent my points, and just generally be a complete imbecile.
>But they don't. Aesthetically (which was my point) they're fucking different.
But they have some things in common. That was my point. I'm tired of repeatedly explaining this.
>Likewise. This could've all been avoided had you kindly fucked off but you continued pressing this.
Oh no, don't try that shit. All I did was explain the numerous ways were wrong and you completely lost your mind. Do you have any self-awareness at all? Any?
>There's been a miscommunication
Oh this is going to be great.
>and I don't have the patience to go in a loop all day. So let's put the fucks and tards aside and go back to the first post, what do you find unsettling about Pokemon? Is it the same stuff I find comfy? Explain your point. Let's have a dialogue, huh?
It's 1:30 in the fucking morning, dude. I'm sick of dealing with you. You've made it very clear you don't want a discussion. If you did, why didn't you fix your mistakes hours ago? Like, when you first came into the thread?

>> No.3569878

I started with Red but I agree. Red/Blue feels like an unfinished game.

>> No.3569885
File: 207 KB, 900x660, green_pokemon_sprites_by_ghost_crabs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569885

I've recently started playing Pokemon Blue again and patched it with the Pokemon Green in English patch. I like the original sprites better because they come off as more monstrous instead of cute cuddly pets.

>> No.3569889

>>3569885
(they match the backsprites better too)

>> No.3569895
File: 949 B, 112x112, guess the pokemon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569895

>>3569885
That wasn't even intentional, though, GF was just so bad at making sprites they all ended up looking horrific. If you look at some of the concept art from ~1990 you can see just how badly they fucked up the sprites.

>>3569889
Look at this. It's just a fucking salad.

>> No.3569896

>>3569876
>You just spewed insults instead of trying to justify yourself.
Ha, alright bro. If you think being afraid of a kid's game is justifiable then so be it.

>Bullshit. Two posts ago, you were acting like this:
And then two posts before that >>3569531
>Why do we need two? And why are you getting so cut up about this?
Which you never answered yourself. My aggression was in response to your dumbfuckery justification of a second failed thread. You're proving my point right now, dumb fuck, rather than interface with the people who are agreeing with you, you'd rather waste time nitpicking one asshole's post. You got your priorities out the fucking ass, it's obvious you just want conflict.
>All I did was explain the numerous ways were wrong
But you didn't?
>Do you have any self-awareness at all?
You're the one getting so deeply cut over a simple observation 10 posts back.
>You've made it very clear you don't want a discussion
>make some observations about what I find comfy about it
>UH NO, LOOK AT THIS OTHER THREAD, THESE PEOPLE SAY THIS IS EXACTLY LIKE MARIO
>Who? There's a pretty big difference between them.
>LOOK, YOU TOTALLY MISSED THE POINT, NOT GONNA SAY HOW THO LOL
Nah, bro, doesn't work like that. I wanted to discuss the comfy aspects of this game and why I like it, you're hell bent on a tard rampage though.
>If you did, why didn't you fix your mistakes hours ago? Like, when you first came into the thread?
I have nothing to fix, nothing to apologize for. I expressed my opinion, which you claimed I never expressed, backed up my claims, got flamed by a turbo tard and for some dumb fuck reason kept replying to it. My bad, poking the aspie like that.
>I'm sick of dealing with you
Likewise though, ending this here.

>> No.3569903

>>3569895
it still fits the first phase gen 1 frontsprites better than phase 2

>> No.3569905
File: 3 KB, 429x410, Untitled-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569905

>>3569803
>>3569823
>>3569876
>>3569896
>tfw reading this entire conversation
You guys need serious help.

>> No.3569906

>>3569903
It really doesn't

>> No.3569937
File: 12 KB, 405x405, venusaur.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569937

>>3569906
it does

>> No.3569940

>>3569937
the flower is supposed to look titled forward and that's why it doesn't match the red/blue sprite

>> No.3569943

>>3569940
The flower's not supposed to be tilted forward, it looks like GF fucked up the perspective

Also, the backsprite doesn't look like a flower tilted forward at all. If anything it looks like it's at a vertical 90 degree angle with some random indiscernable shit at the base

>> No.3569953
File: 12 KB, 405x405, 1476865169375.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569953

>>3569943

>> No.3569962
File: 1.86 MB, 530x300, 1469704295455.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569962

OP is most certainly a faggot.

>> No.3569965
File: 52 KB, 604x455, 1476676661662.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3569965

>>3569962
>smug animu shitpost
quality contribution friendo

>> No.3570017
File: 397 KB, 700x525, denton.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3570017

>>3569462
>>3569478
>>3569484
>>3569504
>>3569531
>>3569592
>>3569656
>>3569734
>>3569742
>>3569772
>>3569803
>>3569823
>>3569876
>>3569896

>> No.3570023

>>3570017
do you even know where we are

>> No.3570041

>>3569329
you are describing videogames, pal

>> No.3570072

>>3569305
I'm 29 and I know oh so well what you mean.

>> No.3570125
File: 53 KB, 480x360, bill.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3570125

>>3569305
this
im 24 now, and I still remember how weird was to me all that Bill being trapped in a pokemon form, then going back to human not giving a single fuck, and then being just the oracle character type that give hints/let you save/let you manage items/ whatever a là Oak, never talking again about that shit, like if it was, you know, the everyday thing.
even as a kid I was genuinely triggered, asking why the fuck was all that lore supossed to mean. I also felt that the backwards of the house lead to some secret place, and spend a lot of time like a retard tying to figure out how.
then came Johto, and we went full crazy about one of the most heterodox sequels ever. (still to this day i´m surprised about a lot of the decissions they made with 2nd gen)
being a kid was comfy

>> No.3570131
File: 20 KB, 636x358, tywr2yxzhbzfjrxciyoa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3570131

>>3569491
>The 3d is pretty good if you take off your goggles brah
As someone who plays showdown regularly, the 3d models are pretty bad.

>> No.3570132
File: 9 KB, 200x199, 1476799031373.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3570132

>>3569508
>that one kid who told me all of the uncatchable pokemon like jynx, mr.mime, and the hitmons were out in that grass

>> No.3570135

>>3570132
they work probably in the bank nowadays

>> No.3570140

>>3569484
>sense of anatomy and proportion, is atrocious beyond belief
Are you really arguing that fictional monster cockfighting needs realistic anatomy and proportion? Too many shitty modern games focus on realism as is.

>> No.3570432

>>3570125
>then came Johto, and we went full crazy about one of the most heterodox sequels ever. (still to this day i´m surprised about a lot of the decissions they made with 2nd gen)


Any examples because I don't recall anything about the gen 2 games feeling strange in the context of the gen 1 games.

>> No.3570743

>>3570140
Are you implying that sprites that look like they were drawn by a braindead child are ever acceptable? I bet you think Undertale looks good too.

>> No.3570749

>>3570432
developing a full sequel with new mechanichs, blah blah and then, boom. having the fucking previous region with fucking chronological evolution regarding 1st gen.
It´s not like the common way to make sequels, isn´t it?

>> No.3570773

>>3570743
its a handheld game from 1996 you dumb elitist cuck

>> No.3570783
File: 51 KB, 250x250, 250px-647Keldeo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3570783

>>3569484
>gen 1 "anatomy and proportion">>3569885

>pic related modern pokemon "anatomy and proportion"

>> No.3570785
File: 44 KB, 275x320, 163c615039abb95ee37f6b7ff7140a3d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3570785

>>3570783
hahaha

>> No.3570819

>>3569484
Has it ever occurred to you that off-model drawings can sometimes be better, or at least more interesting, than perfectly proportioned ones?

>> No.3570978

>>3570773
That is not an excuse. By 1996 the Gameboy had been out for 7 fucking years. Pokémon Gold/Silver were released 3 years later on the same system and look miles better than this shit.

>>3570819
OK. So tell me. What do you see in this sprite that makes it so much better than later gens? The arms are just featureless blobs. The ribs are just horizontal lines that don't follow the rules of perspective. The head looks goofy and deformed. How can you unironically defend this? If I were making a game and someone made this shit, I'd fire them.

And this isn't even cherrypicking. I can do this for literally any sprite in the game.

>> No.3570980
File: 22 KB, 244x197, CReK49fWIAAJ89H.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3570980

>>3570978
Forgot pic

>> No.3571003

>>3570978

I think you're exaggerating. Even in >>3569885
several of the sprites look good [Beedrill, Raticate, Tentacruel, Parasect, the Nidoran lines (save maybe for the royalty), Seaking, Arbok, Muk, Koffing, Weezing, Electrode, Jynx, Magikarp, MewTwo]. A lot of the sprites do look goofy, but some people are fond of the look. I prefer even wonky sprites to the bland 3D models that they use today.

>> No.3571051

>>3571003
Some of them could almost pass as decent, but the bad outweighs the good by a wide margin.

>I prefer even wonky sprites to the bland 3D models that they use today.
>I also have literally no taste whatsoever.

>> No.3571067

>>3571051
>I prefer even wonky sprites to the bland 3D models that they use today.
>I also have literally no taste whatsoever.

Resorting to personal attacks so quickly over what was clearly presented as an opinion? Calm down. No one is bashing X and Y or Sun and Moon. I'm still going to get Sun, but that doesn't mean I can't prefer even rough sprite work over 3D models.

>> No.3571079

>>3571067
>lol it's just an opinion xD
No. If you think 150 shit-tier sprites are better than 700+ mostly-on-model, fully animated 3D models, you genuinely deserve to be made fun of.

>> No.3571114
File: 4 KB, 240x240, 48_56.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3571114

>>3571079
>if you don't like nu-pokemon models you deserve to be made fun of
you double niggers can make fun of me all you want these models are terrible

>> No.3571116
File: 520 KB, 780x1721, untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3571116

>>3571114
wrong image fuck

>> No.3571118

>>3570978
>By 1996 the Gameboy had been out for 7 fucking years
Yes, and most Gameboy games where just a series of fucking low detail cubes on the screen. Those pokemon sprites have much better detail than most other gb games.

>> No.3571149

>>3571116
I fail to see the issue.

>>3571118
Oh shut up. Here, you want examples?
>1995
https://youtu.be/cgSVNxDruO8?t=25s
>1992
https://youtu.be/skzu3VL7_38?t=4m38s
>1991
https://youtu.be/V4pW25oV5AU?t=33s
>1989, and also an RPG like Pokemon
https://youtu.be/tbkQ-LMDPT4?t=5m35s

Want me to go on?

>> No.3571167

>>3571149
>one inferior donkey kong port that doesn't even look that good
>two slow Gameboy shmups
>generic gb rpg
none of those are particularly groundbreaking

>> No.3571169

>>3571149
It's hilarious how you have to use ZAS as proof when its pretty much the most graphically advanced Gameboy game in existence, and looks better than 95% of Gameboy games.

>> No.3571172

>>3571167
I never called them groundbreaking. I'm simply proving how stupid that guy's claim is.

>>3571169
Your point being?

>> No.3571178

>>3571149
about the last game
its amazing the leap in therms of concept between both games. never heard of final fantasy legend, but it feels like Phantasy Star II. Im 24 and for a reason I cannot get over entering a human-side sprite of a castle and being teleported to a town. I feel like Pokemon take advantage of the open concepts of non linear maps like Zelda and stuff, isn´t it? perhaps that´s what made first gen look so "modern" in 97 in terms of gameplay (being a dated game from a technical point of view
Other GBC rpg games similar to Pokemon with this kind of maps, /v/?

>> No.3572923

>>3570749
Dragon Quest and Zelda pulled the "here's the area from the previous game" thing in some squeals off the top of my head. And being the first sequel for the franchise there was no real expectations. If anything it set expectations that would have been crazy to try and match. Part of the disappointment with Ruby and Sapphire was that they didn't let you go back to Johto and Kanto.

>> No.3572985
File: 76 KB, 1280x720, not my pokemon center.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3572985

I feel somewhat the opposite. I played the GBA remake of Pokemon Red a few months ago and I hated the graphics. Everything looks way too clean, shiny, and weird. Like all the soul had been sucked out of it, and had been replaced by a really dumbed-down, pastel, baby version. The game itself itself was fine though, even if some of it was changed slightly.

>> No.3573198

>>3567713
Red was the first video game I ever liked a lot and it was also my first JRPG. Even as a kid I preferred it over S/G versions. Today it remains my second favorite game of all time only behind Dark Souls.

I cannot see what you are talking about. For me when I see R/B it brings me great nostalgia and I feel comfy. I love it's aesthetics.

>> No.3573219

>>3569115
The music is really fucked up too. I remember almost going crazy as a kid having to listen to this non-stop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgXI10XEY5E while I roamed Silph Co. entirely lost.

>> No.3573234

>>3569513
>I'm so mad about people having different opinions that I bothered to make a drawing to prove a point
This is why they made a Pokémon containment board.

>> No.3573245

>>3569531
>Make a good thread if you want good contributors. Simple.
What kind of fucked up logic is that? Anyone can walk into any perfectly fine thread and shit it up with relentless shitposting.

>> No.3573247

>>3573245
Can and will.

>> No.3573250

>>3570978
You seem like a guy who'd get hung up arguing with someone who doesn't agree with you that the Beatles are the best band ever.

Some of us would rather listen to Cock Sparrer and you just have to get over it.

>> No.3573254

Don't you guys ever get tired of those kind of arguments where you just repeatedly pick apart each other's posts but it doesn't even matter because neither side is ever going to concede. Just fucking walk away from those arguments, they just shit up the thread for everyone else.

>> No.3573272

>>3572985
I feel like Nintendo is like Disney, constantly making the edges blunter and making sure everything is as babysafe and clean as possible, which just ends up with something way too unnaturally "perfect" (or attempting to be) not unlike the worlds in books for very young children.

>> No.3573296

>>3573272
Yeah, Nintendo is getting that way. The newest pokemon game has a warning indicator when an enemy trainer wants to fight you, tells you if your move is super effecting against an enemy pokemon, and even makes sure your rival gets the starter that's weak to the one you picked. I know the early Pokémon games weren't even that hard, I beat Blue when I was 5-6, but these new games are just total handholding babymode.

>> No.3573565

>>3573254
that doesn't just apply to 4chan but arguing with other people in general

nobody listens to each other
you will never convince someone of anything
they must decide for themself

>> No.3573591

>>3572985
Also the music is a horrible messy compressed shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvsnFDtvUSo

By the end of the game this shit starts to give you a headache. The drums are way too busy and loud and theres this high pitched sound for no reason.

>> No.3573634

>>3567713

Like Earthbound, Gen 1 Pokemon's tone switches between "cheerful and childlike" or "creepy and foreboding".

The soundtrack is full of nursery rhyme jingles and upbeat marches, except when you're in places like Lavender Town. Kanto feels like a great place to live when you're not dealing with Team Rocket, whose resemblance to the yakuza/mafia means that it feels like they could kill you without the game explicitly saying so. The NPCs are happy and eager to help a 10 year old when they're not grieving over death.

Also, the glitches. I think everyone playing Red and Blue these days has Missingno. and Glitch City in the back of their minds.

These extreme contrasts don't really exist in Gen 2, which feels more quietly sad to me throughout the game. X/Y somehow are like a straight-up theme park despite it dealing with weighty topics.

Or maybe everything you read above is bullshit, I'm not a critic.

>> No.3573653

>>3573250
Why should people have to tolerate awful opinions just because you say so? Seriously think about that.

>> No.3573897

>>3573219
>>3569115

I was 8 when I started Pokemon Red.
You guys are massive fucking pussies.

>> No.3573903

I could never play Ocarina of Time because I thought it was too creepy or something. I tried playing it as an adult and whike Kokiri forest is so cozy once you get to the Deku Tree it's just so unsettling. Then when I got to Jabu Jabu Belly I had to quit because I could not cope with being inside an organic polygonal creature. It was so fucked up and you can see it breath. It took me over 10 years to try to replay it so I'll probably be dead by the time I finish it. It's so fairytale like with its atmosphere though, it's an amazing game.


As an adult I can't play Majora's Mask because the sense of dread reminds me of a cancer scare I went through. Like, every day not knowing thinking you're going to die.

>> No.3573935

>>3568685
Mostly I'll agree, it's kind of overblown today, though Lavender Town was always kinda spooky, even when I was a little kid.

The music, then the ghosts and possessed trainers. The Marowak ghost creeped me out too, especially since I didn't know what to do, I could only run.

MissingNo was scary as an Idea, as I was told all these stories about how he'll fuck up your savefile (which wasn't really true), though also alluring, as my big brother knew the exploits and had all these masterballs, rare candy, supplements (carbos, iron, etc) which he used to power up his team. In a primitive and childlike way, it was like making a deal with the devil in your game.

>> No.3573940

>>3569276
Super Mario 64 isn't uncanny, maybe a select few places are, like the wet town, but hardly the entire game, it's colorful and lively.

>>3573296
Yeah the newer games aren't at all challenging, I'm only in it for the atmosphere, exploration, cute creatures and cute girls.

>> No.3573945

>>3569329
Holy shit, turns out videogames don't magically change by themselves if you leave them alone for a long while!

Isn't that super spooky you guys?

>>3569421
Looks fine to me.

>> No.3573953

>>3569485
>nazi symbols seemingly being scattered about for no reason
What are you fucking talking about? There's no swastikas in the game.

>> No.3573969

>>3570131
Some models look nice, others not so much.

>> No.3573979 [DELETED] 
File: 113 KB, 200x280, 200px-Koga_Ninja_Trick_Manji.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3573979

>>3573634
>Nazi Symbolism
What?
The only thing close to Nazi symbolism in Pokémon is the trading card called Koga's Ninja trick, it has an ancient Buddhist symbol similar to a reversed swastika, and it was censored on release in the west.

>> No.3573980
File: 113 KB, 200x280, 200px-Koga_Ninja_Trick_Manji.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3573980

>>3569485
>Nazi Symbolism
Where?
The only thing close to Nazi symbolism in Pokémon is the trading card called Koga's Ninja trick, it has an ancient Buddhist symbol similar to a reversed swastika, and it was censored on release in the west.

>> No.3573986
File: 1.06 MB, 1280x1280, 003Venusaur-Mega.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3573986

>>3569937
I never liked Mega Venusaur because it's body is implied to be a thin disc shaped where it's a fatass frog/dino, but the Green spirte is actually like that as well

Huh

>> No.3573993
File: 78 KB, 800x549, common_toad7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3573993

>>3569937
>>3573986
I like the thin body it makes it look more like a toad

>> No.3574030

>>3573565
Yeah, it's true. That's probably why I don't even bother engaging people anymore.

>> No.3574109

>>3573993
That's also not how it was supposed to look

Promo art from 1995 can easily be found on the Internet showing Venusaur with its real design so there's no excuse

>> No.3574178
File: 419 KB, 900x2400, 1476738167609.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3574178

>>3572985
>>3573272

>> No.3574238

>>3569885
>I've recently started playing Pokemon Blue again and patched it with the Pokemon Green in English patch
Im interested in this. How do you do that?

>> No.3574362
File: 13 KB, 636x384, pokemonoverworldspriteslarger.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3574362

Wait, people don't like the old monster sprites? A few of them look a little goofy compared to the artwork, but it's still good.

>> No.3574396

>>3573634
I think Earthbound probably has WAY more dissonance in that sense than Pokémon ever did.

>> No.3574416

>>3574178
The rainbow lighting texture was shit and you know it.

>> No.3574429

>>3574416
naturalistic fallacy

The only worthwhile thing on that image is the bob-omb battlefield comparison. Everything else is just bad because it's not the original.

>> No.3574437

>>3574429
When I saw it as a kid I thought it looked stupid. That and the bowser fights were by far the worst parts of the game.

>> No.3574523

>>3567713
Got a KO copy of Survival Kids 2 from Aliexpress recently, it had a leaky battery but that wasn't hard to fix.
Holy shit though, playing through this with no guide or map is bringing back feels of doing the same with Poke'mon as a kid, even the menus look the same. Definitely digging it so far, though I'm running out of food and don't have a fire.

>> No.3574605

>>3574362
>a few of them
Understatement of the century

>> No.3574689

>>3567713
Would I be cheating if I mentioned Time Nikki?

>> No.3574690

>>3574689
Yume

>> No.3574885

>>3574238
You'll need lunar ips
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/876/

>> No.3574912

>>3574690
Sadly, I could tell that your autocorrect decided to hate them nips before I saw the correction.

>> No.3574919

>>3567713
Honestly the game could fall apart at the seems if the right glitches happen.

>> No.3574931

>>3574429
>bad
Why did you assume everything's supposed to be bad?
If something, this is to highlight the difference in style.

>> No.3574945

>>3570017
>a pair of spastic morons fork fighting on the internet
>getting a job

Did you miss the "It's 1:30 in the fucking morning" part?

>> No.3575013

>>3574945
the world has different timezones you fucking stupid amurrilard

>> No.3575214

>>3573653
Opinions are opinions, and they differ from person to person. Tolerance is a normal part of day to day life.

Maybe if you got out of your semen stained basement, shaved your neckbeard, talked to a girl without crying, and made more than burger joint money, you'd understand that there's more important things in this world than arguing with another autistic fucking retard about a game made for 10 year old slant kids.

You worthless fucking piece of shit, go better your goddamn life.

>> No.3575224

>>3575214
ok bye

don't come back

we will use the board as it's intended without you and have fun doing it

>> No.3575229

>>3575013
If he was american, it would be his afternoon when he wrote that.

>> No.3575551

>>3573897
I'm not saying it scares me or playing the game actively makes me uncomfortable.

But I can see why people get uncanny valley feelings from it.

>> No.3575557

>>3573940
>Yeah the newer games aren't at all challenging

Did anyone ever I find Pokemon challenging? Was I some sort of prodigy? Because trainer fights were piss easy even as a kid.

>> No.3575642

>>3575557
I only ever leveled my started and raped everything.

>> No.3575675

>>3569421
>and the NPCs feel like they have no character or motivations.
That's honestly pretty standard for games like this at the time
Hell it's sadly still pretty standard, devs rarely ever really put time into making the NPCs actual characters

>> No.3575691

>>3575557
when I was a lad, whitney and the gen 2 elite four kicked my ass
other than that nah gen 1 is piss easy and gen 2's difficulty all comes from terrible level scaling

>> No.3576269

>>3575214
Please kys yourself

>> No.3577005

>>3574178
I can see why people would consider this uncanny valley or creepy, and some things in this picture were intended to be scary like the eel, but I feel like all CGI was fucking weird in the 90s.

I grew up at an early age watching this sort of shit between commercials on TV so I was desensitized to Mario 64 when I played it. The haunted mansion level scared me shitless though, and Zelda 64 really creeped me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbG34c1qorQ

>> No.3578863

>>3573903
Go back to tumblr faggot

>> No.3579331

>>3574178
Shit scuttlebug u aight??

>> No.3579350
File: 101 KB, 716x951, 1473831866527.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3579350

>>3567713
>>3568685
>I've always felt there was something really off about Pokemon Red/Blue.
>I think it's all hogwash dreamed up by the creepy pasta culture.
Nah, I think what you're trying to describe is the feeling of how incredibly ambitious and clever Game Freak was for making Pokemon. They simply set out to create a good video game and had no idea something with this much replay value and depth would grab people by the nuts the way it did. They figured out a way to create 151 different monsters using a simple system and make it believable and exciting to see each one. It was so good you'd often forget how rough around the edges the game is. I find it hard to describe this phenomenon.

Perfect vidya

>> No.3579408

>>3570125
24 year old bro here. Can confirm being a kid was amazingly comfy. Ever since I first played red I would consistently play it over and over again for years. At least once a year. I got gold and never got another Pokémon game after that. Even after I got gold I would still spend all my time in red.

I remember I would spend many many hours just swimming around cinnabars islands looking for new land and such. Eventually once I got older I hunted for more things such as experience share, the truck by the SS ANNE, early Gary encounters, and recently catching mews.

I played the fuck out of my red version and 3 years ago my world fell apart when my stupid fuckigg dogge destroyed it. Luckily I still have a blue version but fuck that dog for destroying something so precious to me.

>> No.3579779

>>3574178
The DS version looks like shit. All the grass is dead and the color has been sucked out of it.

>> No.3579927

>>3572923
When has Zelda done this.

>> No.3579936

>>3579408
im the 24 bro from >>3570125
don´t be mad at your doge. mine grabbed my PSP and chew the fuck out of it. In the end is just the object smelling like you do. doges do that because they love us.
I have a simmilar story with Yellow and silver. I have re-played yellow like 5-6 times, but only started a new Silver game this year, when introducing my gf to the series (she somehow managed to dodge the pokemon mania bullet of the 90´s thanks to their parents thinking the game caused epilepsy or some shit like that)
man, I miss the 90´s

>> No.3579961
File: 1 KB, 285x48, 7VMm3cy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3579961

is this the new buzzword?

>> No.3579973

>>3579961
its a super old one and its dumb

>> No.3579987

>>3579961
>>3579973
and still don´t get a proper response when I ask some anon to explain it. mean, I can see why playing vidya covered in a blanket on a cold christmas night can be called as comfy, but fucking what exactly makes X game comfy?
comfy shooters. comfy racing games. comfy this. fuck

>> No.3580076

>>3579936
>in the end is just the object smelling like you

You're a wise anon. I'm going to elevate myself beyond simple sentimental feelings for an object and just get a new red version to enjoy(something about blur feels wrong).

That's pretty cool you could get your girlfriend into it, most peeps can't get into gen 1 today because of the shitty graphics and slow pace.

Don't miss the 90's too hard, they were alright, the 2000's were great. Adult life is lame

>> No.3580089

>>3579961
It's more descriptive than "AAA" anyway

>> No.3580103

You people are pathetic. All of you. Fully grown men heatedly arguing about a game for children from 20 years ago, and then when you get called out on it you quickly hide behind your retarded internet irony, as if irony wasn't always a mere safety wrapping around a serious intent.

Reconsider your lives, or just opt for the easier way out.

>> No.3580131
File: 67 KB, 384x720, 42918751a98e85d692f634ea5e3ae550.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3580131

>>3580103
Found the highschooler

>> No.3580196

>>3580103
I'm just here sharing my story bruh. If you want to find and participate in arguments in this thread you can buy other people are just sharing comfy times in what is gen 1

>> No.3580218

>>3580076
yea anon, you´ll buy a new copy of red, and if the sticker is alright and the cartridge looks ok you´ll forget that´s not your original copy. hug your doge for me, those lil bastards are not replaceable!
luckily my girlfriend is an average gamer, in fact she has played far more nes/snes than me. altought she missed PS2 era.
and yeah, that´s true. the more old I get the more I realize most of my nostalgia and childhood memories come from the 2000. after all, being born in 92 means I have lived more early 2000s than anything. Kinda curious how still nobody claim that era.

>> No.3580252

I am absolutely puzzled by the things you guys found unsettling. Y'all are paranoid or sensitive to occurrences in games that have no connection to anything unsettling. This reminds me of /x/.

>> No.3580639

27 year old here.

Not quite my first game, as having two older brothers I have earlier memories of games like Metal Gear, Kickle Cubicle, Castlevania: Simon's Quest, Super Mario Bros 1 + 3; then on the SNES there was stuff like Plok, Yoshi's Island (which I adored, such a comfy game to play as a kid with a nigh-on perfect difficulty curve, that game was and still is one of my all-time favourites, completed it countless times and loved the secret 2 player games with my older bro)

Pokemon Blue was like absolutely nothing else, and I think at least part of that owed to it being portable, along with the ability to trade pokemon with friends to complete a pokedex. I personally found it ultra engrossing and like it was a real adventure - the only other game experience that comes close, for me, is Links Awakening.

Going to school and talking about Pokemon while being able to take gaming from home to the playground was so very exciting, and it's a little upsetting that I don't think I'll ever quite recapture that magic again. The show tie-in was also fun to watch.

Also

>be me as a kid
>thinking about Pokemon most of the time
>lying at bed at night
>start getting a horrible feeling that my save game is gone/deleted/corrupted somehow
>panic and wake up to check the save game
>it's fine

that would happen ridiculously frequently - no other game has had that effect on me

>> No.3581590

>>3579987
The impression I get is games you can easily relax with, something which isn't really fast paced or intense, or no real pressure of time or serious threats for the most of it.

There was a hunting game that was really popular on /v/ a couple of years ago, people talking about walking around and taking in the atmosphere, watching the beautiful fall scenery.
The actual shooting part was special, when you pull the trigger the game would go slowmo and you'd get to see the trajectory of the bullet, and then if it entered an animal, you'd get to see if you made a good and clean shot (both lungs, or both lungs + heart), whereupon the game would reward you and congratulate you (or chastise you for a sloppy and bad shot).

Another game I see it thrown around with is the SimCity games, which I guess I could kind of see, if you turn off disasters and build things methodically.

Personally, games that give me a "comfy" feeling is Morrowind (for it's rich lore and world building), and Far Cry 3, having a whole tropical island thing going, where occasionally, you hunt some (often dangerous) animals, or explore a lot, and then you go on an adventure and fight pirates.
Though Duke Nukem 3D Caribbean: Life's A Beach, also gave me kind of a comfy feel (I guess I just really like the tropic vacation theme), I think partially because it was still Duke3D gameplay, but it was really cheerful, upbeat and silly, the pigcops all even wear aloha shirts and sunglasses.


I guess something which feels carefree, lighthearted and not pressuring?

>> No.3582005

>>3569656
That was the most autistic post I've ever read on 4chan

>> No.3582118

>>3580252
>that have no connection to anything unsettling

that's not really for you to decide

>> No.3582495
File: 24 KB, 780x438, 160607163521-tuim-samuel-jellyfish-2-exlarge-169.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3582495

>>3579961
>>3579987
>>3581590
When people say comfy they mean the game isn't just a linear path from beginning to end.

You don't always have to go to the next dungeon right away, you can play around in the field with your items, find new equipment, get lost, play minigames, etc. I'm not one to describe a game as comfy but I know what retards mean when they say this.

>> No.3582841

>>3581590
thanks for the answer anon. I can see that
also, my eyes

>> No.3582856

>>3580639
you are literally the only person I heard knowing about Kickle Cubicle, that´s one of my gf favourite games!
And yeah anon, I didn´t percieve unusual as a kid playing pokemon everyday at home, listening about pokemon fucking everywhere and then sharing it with my friends at school. shit was like the most common thing in the world. I thought older generation had its own pokemon.
mfw getting older and realizing that:
-world was dealing with the first global phenomenon
-global phenomenon were still not as common as today, with thing being the flavour of the month.
mfw we wont have something like the pokemania again

>> No.3582890

>>3569484
I only have played the gen III pokemon and i think those early sprites have a lot more attitude than what we have today (even if some of them are a little bit distorted).

>> No.3582997

>>3579987
It means degenerate.

>> No.3583568

>>3582997
You're degenerate.

>> No.3583708

>>3567713
Did you feel this before reading the "le spooky lavender town" memes?

>> No.3583863

>>3583708
I still remember being a kid playing yellow, walking by route 10 and instantly turning down the volumen the moment the sprite reached Lavender Town. It was literally the town of dead people full of weirdos talking like junkies. I feel truly unsettling as a kid.

>> No.3583864

>>3583863
I felt*

>> No.3583890

>>3579927
Maybe he thinks of the Ocean floor in WW and the ToT in TP? Personally wouldn't count that though

>> No.3584116

>>3583708
Yeah, way before that.

What op is talking about is more like what makes you think of creepy shit, it's like the somber mood of GS like anon was talking about up the thread. It has that feel like earthbound 0 or glover where art direction, game design and hardware limitations meet in unsettling ways in some (or most) places in unintended ways.

It's actually a research topic I've been pursuing on and off. Large, sparse areas are disquieting for a variety of reasons on their own that I haven't gotten around to testing. Random battles and resource management in them is measurably stressful by galvanic skin reactions beyond the mean of tighter level designs. The GB sound chip makes tones that on their own have self-reported emotional responses and music that is dissonant with a presented scene correlates with cognitive dissonance. Ambiguous sprites are another thing, but I haven't gone into that at all yet.

>> No.3584118

>>3583890
comparing the ocean floor from WW or Temple of Time in TP with fucking Kanto on G/S/C is pretty lame. You can compare with simmilar gimmicks pokemon has done with previous games, like including older pokemon and so on, but Zelda never put the entire Hyrule kingdom +10 years after saving Termina from Skull Kid, and Gold/Silver did it.

>> No.3584127

>>3584118
In zelda 2 there's an area that vaguely resembles the map in zelda 1. That's what it is and it's a terrible example.

>> No.3584146

>>3584118
Yeah I know it's nowhere near comparable, hence I don't count it

>> No.3585513

Another World/Out of this World.
But, that's intentional.

>> No.3585558

>>3583863
I really hope this is shitty bait.

>> No.3585627
File: 14 KB, 300x272, Zombie_di_Lavandonia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3585627

>>3585558
I think most people are overreacting or basing it on the creepypasta stuff, but Lavender always was inherently spooky, the music is very gloomy and melancholic, contrasting with the rest of the game, and people are just weird there.

The creepypasta shit really is very retarded though.

>> No.3585638
File: 365 KB, 503x442, 49d45108e19c41369cafc2eec713527db37e1bb0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3585638

>>3585627
>Lavender always was inherently spooky
I first played through blue when I was 5-6 and I never felt that anything was "spooky" This gen one is scary meme was started by a bunch of underage children than think monochrome games on a tiny screen are scary.

>> No.3585649

>>3585638
Exactly. I was a wee lad and never once did I find Lavender Town spooky. In fact, that segment of the game annoyed me more than anything even when I was little, what with having to get the silph scope and stuff. The music never once creeped me out and the sprites are what you'd expect them to be for when it was released. When I got the game, I wasn't like "oh the sprites look weird". No one ever said anything like that. In fact, just about every single one of my child friends played the games and not one ever said anything about the game being spooky or Lavender Town being unsettling.

>> No.3585658

>>3585638
>i can't relate, so it's a meme
Or, you know, something can have a spooky atmosphere to it for a person without having to lose their shit like kids do today.

I like to immerse myself in games, always did, and places like Lavender Town, or Boo's Mansion in SM64, had a frightening enough air to them. Not enough to get me to stop playing, or to lose my cool, but it's an atmosphere the devs went for, and I think it works.

>> No.3585995

>>3584116
>The GB sound chip makes tones that on their own have self-reported emotional responses
Can you explain this further?

>> No.3586015

>>3585558
Nope, I was not. Can´t you get over the fact that some people experience things different than you, or are you turboautist?

>> No.3586025
File: 1.89 MB, 250x216, get (1).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3586025

>>3585638
>mfw I can´t understand how something was creepy to anyone decades before other people started a creepypasta.
>being this retard

>> No.3586030
File: 31 KB, 599x462, 1477560850084.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3586030

>>3586025
There was literally not a single fucking child that considered pokemon R/B scary in 1999 and only hipster manchildren say otherwise.

>> No.3586060

>>3586030
How did you arrive at that conclusion? Keep in mind, burden of proof is on you.

>> No.3586081

>>3586030
yep, me. I had 7 years in 99 and found that tune unsettling as fuck, and didn´t know shit about the creepypasta until today.
Are you done yet?

>> No.3586094

>>3586030
>>3586081
I found it soothing

>> No.3587287

>>3567713
>I have this nagging feeling that the game is going to fall apart at the seams at any moment.
I always feel that for Half-Life 2

>> No.3587297

>>3569485
Yes, it's a well put together game.

>> No.3587301

>>3569421
This is exactly why the 3D Zelda games are superior to it in general.

>> No.3587304

>>3587301
Meh, it depends. Most of OOT's NPCs with a few exceptions were quite shallow too, only in MM did things start to pick up

>> No.3588116
File: 30 KB, 500x444, Buryman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3588116

>>3585995
I don't know how this works exactly or if I'm remembering it right, but basically, the in the beta build of Green & Red, the Lavender Town music (and possibly some other tracks), had some "binaural" beats and tunes, which if you listen to them, can give you a headache, cause a general feeling of uncomfort, some people apparently can get a migraine (if they're prone to those, I guess), and supposedly visual and audible delusions (though I think that's not specifically these old tracks).

https://youtu.be/LNKEcCna-ws
This is one of the developmental versions (I kinda dig the spooky tune at the start, before the melody starts up), there was apparantly another one, which may or may not have been in the earliest distribution run, and then changed (this sounds like a convenient element for creepypasta, honestly), this one was much closer to the final version, except it had some binaural 'popping' noises left in it, which would cause those headaches in some children

The creepypastas is partially "these tunes drove children to suicide, ooooOOOOOoooh so spooky!" and the other one is the "buryman" nonsense (just google it to see the pasta), which among other things describes thr game as corrupting your Gameboy, by uploading a flash file to it's internal memory, which would make it display a game over screen showing the player character being eaten by a ghoulish creature, and never do anything but show this screen ever again (nevermind that the flash format didn't yet exist, doesn't fit in a Gameboy cartridge, doesn't run on a Gameboy, nor that the Gameboy has an internal memory, consider how likely it would be for Nintendo to allow this shit).

It's all bullshit and the only truth is "listening to this annoying noise in these tracks made your head hurt so we changed it".

All this dumb shit aside, the idea of some kind of demented ghoul dragging you down into his grave to bury the two of you alive (and slowly eating you alive), is kind of neat as a horror concept.

>> No.3590364

bump

>> No.3590504

what is your favorite pokemon? mine is squirtle.

>> No.3590554
File: 95 KB, 500x350, tumblr_mq15bbvc2y1sxulyio3_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3590554

>>3575675
Well the story which is told, is about link and how he saves Hyrule.

I'm pretty sure everyone of the NPCs lives a cool simple life, with family, work and friends, and a little small talk here and there about the weather and if Link has really kidnapped the Princess or if it's just a lie. And if he didn't if he can save Hryule from the evil that threatens it.

They just don't do it as long link is there, because it would be rude to not give the visitor your complete attention.

>> No.3590564

>>3586081
And you're in a vast minority. I would say 95% of the male individuals at my school played Pokemon, and not once did any reference to lavender town, the music, sprites, or any segment of the game be brought up as unsettling. Not fucking once.

>> No.3590765

>>3588116
>https://youtu.be/LNKEcCna-ws
This song isn't even fucking possible for a Game Boy to play. It uses way more sound channels than are available on a stock GB and doesn't even attempt to hide this fact. It even "smoothly" fades out triangle waves at 1:30 which the hardware simply can't do, even assuming it had the sound channels. All this shit about "binaural beats" is just creepypasta retardedness with no basis in reality.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, because you'd know how bullshit that whole video is if you had any technical knowledge about the Game Boy at all.

>> No.3591505

>>3582495
This is absolutely not what it means

>> No.3591693

>>3567713
>In any case, when I play Red/Blue nowadays I have this nagging feeling that the game is going to fall apart at the seams at any moment
You are actually right.
1st gen Pokémon games are held together with duct tape and magic.
Try swapping moves after using transform. You will literally end up with no moves;
You can run away from long range trainers;
Scripted events are easily breakable if you do certain actions;
You have no idea how easy desyncing is in a link battle;
You can literally end up having the game's RAM into your bag by turning the gameboy off while saving.
And i'm just getting started.

>> No.3591752

>>3570978
>By 1996 the Gameboy had been out for 7 fucking years. Pokémon Gold/Silver were released 3 years later on the same system and look miles better than this shit.
You DO know that they used less defined sprites to give space to other shit because the cartridge's memory was 512 KB? And then pokemon gold and silver came on 1 MB?
It was DOUBLE THE SIZE! Of course, with 2x the original size, they had more space for chucking in things like the whole kanto, better sprites and color palettes!
Also, since i am at it, do you know why pokemon had only one save file? (Hint: It's not directly related to size)

>> No.3591957

>>3591752
>the cartridge's memory was 512 KB? And then pokemon gold and silver came on 1 MB?
Wrong. Pokemon RBY were 1MB, GS were 2MB. Download the ROMs and check for yourself.
>It was DOUBLE THE SIZE! Of course, with 2x the original size, they had more space for chucking in things like the whole kanto, better sprites and color palettes!
Even though I know this is bait, explain how Pokemon Brown, a well-known gen 1 hack, can exist with much better spritework than the original game.

>> No.3592017
File: 810 KB, 854x478, Lamps.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3592017

I know what you mean OP, but I think it's being young at the time that causes that. When I was a kid the most random things would stick out to me.

These lamps are only used once in Mario 3. The real reason they're here is to show off the scrolling background effect the devs made. But in my head they were hiding a huge secret and it could have been absolutely anything. Back then my reaction to that kind of stuff was to creeped out because it felt like no one has ever been there.

>> No.3593387

>>3569421
I felt the exact opposite about ALttP. I'd beaten it several times before it occurred to me that theres only one town and hardly any named NPCs.

>> No.3593410

>>3591957
Pokemon Brown didn't have the constraints of a time limit, a budget, or executive meddling

>> No.3593646

>>3591957
Dunno about it and too lazy to check, but keep in mind hacks can be much bigger

>> No.3593904

>>3590564
what a pack of boring pricks, then
Usually being a kid is like this>>3592017
and in my school, we used to be amazed, freaked out and sometimes spooked like retardeds at literally everything

>> No.3594245

>>3571079
You're litterally just a salty nerd. I also think those sprites look nice. There's nothing you can say to prove anyone wrong.

>> No.3594247

>>3571149
That Final Fantasy game looks fun, and the sprites do look good. But let's be fair, the rest of the game is fucking barebone graphic wise, and let's forget about the animation. Your point is stupid.

>> No.3594607
File: 2 KB, 565x280, sooper-high-quality.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3594607

>>3594245
Nigger, look at this. In both of these sprites they literally just copy+pasted one side and mirrored it. And don't forget, Kingler's one defining feature has always been that one claw is significantly larger than the other. But they didn't even attempt to reflect that in the sprite.

This shit is pure incompetence. You cannot defend this.

>> No.3594657

>>3571079
The original janky sprites have a naive charm to them that the newer models lack.

>> No.3594665

Sorry about your thread OP, this could have been an interesting topic. Chan boards are so full of fucking pea brained assholes now.

>> No.3594675

>>3594607
>You cannot defend this.
Getting the job done on time while your boss is screaming at you

>> No.3594746

>>3594657
But anon, you have to stop liking what fluffycutesyanimufag dislikes, right nao!

>> No.3594779

>>3594607
both guys are symetrical, that´s all. Look at the shining parts, they are not mirrored.
and about Kingler, Im also annoyed as fuck with it, but being honest, I don´t think they had a definite look for every pokemon, and sure not as established as before the boom.

>> No.3594782

>>3594665
this.
Can we pretend that "this is creepy due to a meme/not a single kid even felt shit while playing it" fags don´t exist, so we can keep exchanging views about the topic?

>> No.3594886

>>3585638
Lavender Town has a dark-sounding theme that uses a waveform not found anywhere else in the game as one of its instruments, with a huge graveyard filled with ghosts and NPCs that talk about death. It's a completely different atmosphere to the rest of the game. I didn't think it was scary and it didn't give me nightmares but it definitely has a vibe to it that's not present anywhere else in the game, or even the rest of the series (I remember Hoenn has a graveyard, but its music isn't as foreboding).

>> No.3594907

>>3591957
>Pokemon RBY were 1MB, GS were 2MB

They expanded the size of the carts in the English versions, they were 512KB and 1MB in the Jap version.

>> No.3595572
File: 4 KB, 565x560, 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3595572

>>3594675
>It's OK, the game was just rushed to market!
>>3594779
Christ. You're not seriously this dense, are you?

Look at this. Top is the original, bottom has the left side mirrored onto the right side. The lineart is EXACTLY the same.

>> No.3595587
File: 25 KB, 363x395, tumblr_inline_o7qi9xArjh1qbhmtm_400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3595587

>>3595572
...yea, as I exactly said, you´ve just proved the sprites are symetrical, not mirrored.

>> No.3595614

>>3595572
>blaming the workers for a "rushed" product
You have no clue how these things work, do you?

>> No.3595621
File: 54 KB, 370x296, 1477835140498.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3595621

>>3595587
When both sides are identical except mirrored, you know that shit's not done by hand. Plus they'd be bad sprites even if that weren't the case. The pose doesn't make any sense - almost every monster sprite is viewed from a diagonal perspective, because they're facing you and your Pokemon, but these two are staring directly at the camera for no discernible reason.

But noooo, that's totally not because they mirrored one side or anything, right?

Here's your (You) in any case.

>> No.3595623

>>3595614
That's not an excuse. Pac-Man for Atari 2600 sucked, but they rushed it to market so I guess that's OK?

>> No.3595630

>>3595621
so you are okay with 90% of videogames character being mirrored by the middle but you freak out with Krabby and Kingler sprites.
Okay.

>> No.3595634

>>3595621
...but that doesn´t change the fact that both pokemon are drawn symetrical, not mirrored, sempai. You already proved it!

>> No.3597992

Ebooklibrary23.blogspot.com

>> No.3599478
File: 2.68 MB, 2888x1616, pokemon_green___red_blue_comparison_sprite_sheet_by_fimxscootaloo-d5iqjvd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3599478

I'll just post this so we can all appreciate how some sprites were good and some laughable. In any cases, even the worst ones are quirky enough to have their own charm.

>> No.3599556

>>3599478
>even the worst ones are quirky enough to have their own charm.
It's called nostalgia.

>> No.3601087

>>3569421
That never really occurred to me. The game was largely about the dungeons and I didn't think about it any more deeply than that.

>> No.3601189

>>3599556
theres always one butthurt faggot like this

>> No.3601405

>>3588116
That song you posted is confirmed for just being a remix.

>> No.3601407

>>3599556
Or just appreciating a time where everything was not perfectly well made. That's the point of the thread, in a way, btw.

>> No.3601485

>>3579987
Replace the word comfy with relaxing and that's what it means you moron.

>> No.3603213

>>3601189
>>3601407
I dare you to find one person who didn't grow up with RBY for whatever reason, no matter their age, who actually likes those abominations.

>> No.3603225

>>3569595
Different person but god you're unpleasant

>> No.3603228

>>3603225
Sorry I offended you by being correct.

>> No.3603238

>>3567713

Dawg just hit up Lavender Town and let the music play. Sometimes I do homework or fuck around on 4chan while I play it. It's great.

It's on right now.

>> No.3603320

>>3603213
I wasn't there during the 50s, but I absolutely love the cheap monster b-movies from that era. It has nothing to do with nostalgia. Some people are just open to this kind of charm.

Honestly I don't understand why you hate it so much.

>> No.3604056

>>3567713
>>3567713
nope. not feeling any of that.

Pkmn Blue was my first game as well and I absolutely fell in love with it.

I actually feel very lucky to even know and having played such a great game franchise.

>> No.3604062

>>3569329
dude, that's like most games from back in the day.
NPCs standing around on one spot running their scripts for all eternity.

that was the same for Morrowind as well.
I find it weird to come across somebody who is expecting it to be far more, even if you're taking the time of release into account.

>> No.3604087

This is uncanny Pokemon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TffYMEKK7oQ

>> No.3604134

>>3604087
What's scary about rubber ducks playing an off-key Pokemon theme?

>> No.3604991
File: 1.01 MB, 1736x1794, Recolors.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3604991

>> No.3604992

>>3569485
No, it's easy to say that when you're not a faggot.

>> No.3604997

>>3569329
Dude get some pussy already.

>> No.3605004

>>3604991
these make gen 2-6 so much better these are what pokemon are supposed to be

>> No.3605016

>>3567713
Once I started into mass catching (aka breeding without being able to breed) in Red for better mons in Stadium, I started to see the IVs and EVs before they were called that, and the difference between the two. And it creeped me out that I was thinking in code. I stopped playing for quite some time. And by quite some time I mean I picked Silver up a little over a year before HGSS.

>> No.3605175

I personally find the appeal in old sprites come from the exaggerations and the dirtiness.

It's much clearer that the designs haven't been "screened" yet for mass appeal, the biggest example being how the original Pikachu was a loud rounder than the current one.

It honestly surprises me that nobody has really tried to make a retro monster game on the PC using a similar style

>> No.3605192

>>3605175
Because nobody can get away with releasing games that look that shit anymore

>> No.3605217

>>3605192
Undertale got away with it.

>> No.3605309

>>3605217
I'd take Undertale's graphics over Pokemon RBY any day

>> No.3606058

>>3605004
The gen 4 legends and most of the gen 5 and 6 mons still look pretty bad.

>> No.3607720

>>3605192
Mainly because of normies who like everything to be so blandly perfect

>> No.3607749

>>3605217
There's a difference between "low resolution" and "looks like shit".

>> No.3607753
File: 87 KB, 640x480, 12-658.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3607753

>>3607720
Or, you know, people expect a reasonable standard of quality nowadays

Someone brought up Undertale as an exception, but even that at least has some parts that are visually appealing

>> No.3607881

>>3569329
Its almost like....i-it was....a...v-videogame

>> No.3607943

>>3567713
It does seem kinda off sometimes, probably it owes that to inexperience of the team with Game Boy - before that, only GB game Game Freak did was port of Yoshi, and all other games they did were on the NES. So, artists might've been struggling with heavy graphical limitations; and designers were treading completely new ground.

See, Pokemon Red/Blue was basically an indie game, and it was first RPG done by GameFreak (they seemed to specialize in puzzle games before that), in addition to being basically completely different to all other RPGs done at the time (little story, unique world that isn't fantasy/scifi/postapo, party members aren't created OR npcs but monsters you catch using games mechanics, emphasis on combat system, not a grindfest...). They had to invent everything from scratch, while being unsure what will work, and what won't. So of course some things will feel off, that's a common thing when you start with a later game in the series, and then decide to play earlier installments you have never seen before - lack of polish and improvements done in later games stick out like sore thumbs.

>> No.3608003

>>3568685
Creepypasta culture was BORN from Pokemon glitches, you retard.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action