[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 15 KB, 372x210, Satoru_Iwata_E3_2012_holding_bananas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3563724 No.3563724 [Reply] [Original]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUHi-vlACJI

DYK gaming tribute to Iwata, what are yout thoughts on this guy?

>> No.3563728

More like DidYouKnowNintendo.

>> No.3563739

DidYouKnowThisThingReadStraightFromWikipedia

DON'T FORGET TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE MAKE SURE TO SMACK THAT MF LIKE BUTTON

>> No.3563870

>>3563739
yeesh, you guys really hate that guy

I think he was great though

>> No.3563874

I'm so glad they didn't plug their bullshit at the end like they usually do.

>> No.3563879

Did you know that Super Mario 2 was actually Dunkin' Donuts Porkchop?

>> No.3563880

The Game Center CX special was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qdRzxmgYWo

I miss Iwata Asks the most, it was great to get a view into how things came about or see stuff on how they made some decisions.

>> No.3563941

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4cJh2YgrKE

This was also a good cover on Mr. Iwata, I'm gonna miss that brilliant man.

In some ways he was like a kinder, happier Japanese version of Carmack, doing shit that was thought to be impossible and getting shit done fast.

>> No.3563956

>>3563941
Too bad that cunt's accent is unbearable.

>> No.3564016

Might be a tad nihilistic but I just can't shake the feeling Nintendo is totally doomed without him. He was like the only higher up that hadn't turned into a crazy lizard man and actually cared about pleasing and communicating with the fans. It's a real shame.

>> No.3564074

cancer that killed nintendo

>> No.3564093
File: 78 KB, 639x595, kenshiro tears.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>that story dorito pope told about iwata showing him the wii controller

>> No.3564096
File: 70 KB, 764x430, crxjfo7usaebvs2jpg-b4d546_765w.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3564016
Nintendo was due for big change in direction. Dedicated gaming hardware is a shrinking niche market dominated by Sony and Microsoft, and Nintendo's strongest assets have always been its IPs. Just look at how Pokémon Go took the world by storm from Day One.

Miyamoto said it himself: Kids today get their first gaming experiences on their parents' smartphones and tablets. This is where Nintendo needs to be. Even Sony is getting in on it now.

I think Iwata was a great president (oversaw the wildly successful Wii and DS) and a big part of Nintendo's history, but I think his steadfast aversion to popular mobile platforms was a major weakness of his.

>> No.3564119

The old Nintendo died with the introduction of the purple lunchbox. It's a completely different company from 20 years ago, nearly all new people there. You shouldn't expect any company to have a contingency over that amount of time, not the old Nintendo anymore.

>> No.3564123

>>3564119
I get what you're saying, but why is the GC the cutoff for you? It seemed like a pretty straightforward continuation of what Nintendo was already doing compared to, say, the Wii.

As for Iwata, dudes a hero. Cool to see a brilliant programmer and developer become the CEO instead of some douche in a suit with a MBA. rest in peace.

>> No.3564174

>>3564123
Because it marked Nintendo's being satisfied to settle for second place and a niche audience.

Nintendo were top dog before the gamecube. Even though fans could complain about 3rd party software, Nintendo could still claim a triumph because of the sheer quality of games it released that there was very little like in the playstation. Due to the exceptional difficulty of early 3D and the outstanding successes of Mario 64, Rare games and so many other N64 games Nintendo could be forgiven for fans for messing it up with 3rd party. They believed it would be "business as usual" for the next platform with Nintendo pulling in all the 3rd parties as well, aggressively going after them like on the SNES and NES, caught a little blindsinded for one generation.

However instead of that, Nintendo went head-over-heels into branding their console as kiddy and letting 3rd party support slip as well. No hard drive, no DVD drive, no official online service. What the hell?! The console would be less powerful than the Xbox, have less capacity on the discs. The xbox and PS2 were getting GTA, Halo, mainline Final Fantasies, while the gamecube was struggling again with 3rd party support, and what was the excuse this time? It was no longer a technical difficulty getting the 3rd party support it was Nintendo were being cheap with licencing and seemed set on settling. And what about their first party franchises? While noone can deny Mario Sunshine being a quality game, it's nowhere near as groundbreaking as Mario 64 or the earlier Marios, neither were Nintendo's first party games with the possible exception of SSBM and Metroid Prime. Where was Rare? Oh sold off to work for the xbox. What about Final Fantasy? Oh here's a new one, hook it up with the gameboy advance games. GBA "connectivity", I always thought that was so stupid and they literally wanted to concentrate on that over online. Not the old Nintendo.

>> No.3564208

>>3564174
Nintendo stopped being aggressive around that time. The end of the N64 era was also coincided with Yamauchi's retirement and Howard Lincoln's retirement.

Gamecube was basically Nintendo trying to pull all stops (West be damned) in recapturing the Japanese audience which they dismally lost with N64. It was similar to Sega and the Saturn. For example, DVD wasn't nearly as important in Japan since DVD player adoption occurred much earlier there than anywhere else.

To be fair, the Gamecube wasn't all a failure. It may have been third place but it was actually a profitable third place, which you couldn't say for Xbox.

>> No.3564219

>>3563956
I've been watching gaming historian for years and I've never had a problem with his voice. dont be a dick

>> No.3564321

>>3563956
As an American, he sounds like a typical American to me.

>> No.3564341

>>3564174
I like Gamecube era Nintendo. I wasn't too hot on the Gamecube itself.

They were throwing a lot of new ideas out there. Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime. Sunshine succeeded in expanding Mario's moveset and making him control better (imo, Sunshine has one of the best controls and movement in a 3D platformer). Sunshine wasn't the massive leap forward like SM64 was, but I don't think it could've been. Their intention was refinement, polish, and expanding Mario's moveset. Only problem was the level design kinda took a hit.

For me, this was an era where Nintendo wasn't afraid to try out some new idea, even if it might not have worked 100%. Thinking back on games like Sunshine or Luigi's Mansion, I don't think those are games Nintendo would be capable of making nowadays. They're scared shitless of new ideas now.

Problem was, the PS2 was just an unstoppable giant. The success that the PS1 had with third parties continued into the PS2 with renewed vigor. Not having strong third party support was starting to effect Nintendo, but the first party was still strong enough to keep their fanbase.

The Wii STARTED as a success, but it was a success they couldn't capitalize on. They brought in lots of new people, which is a good thing, but they failed to keep them. They also lost a good chunk of their core fanbase, as they felt forgotten.

Nintendo is a company where I've always disliked the business side of them, but their developers are top notch when given the ability to stretch their legs. Even recently, Super Mario 3D World and Splatoon shows that Nintendo still has people with talent. They're just not using it nearly as well as they could.

>> No.3564690

>>3564321
That's the problem.

>> No.3564834

>>3564093
wanna tell the story?

>> No.3564896

>>3564834
Not him, but basically when they were doing stuff to promote the Wii, Iwata pulled the Pope aside when they were off camera and showed the Pope for the first time that the Wiimote could be held sideways like an NES controller and smiled at him and didn't say anything. The Pope said Iwata seemed really proud and happy about it and it made it seem like he was trying hard to care for old fans while ushering in new tech

>> No.3564905
File: 212 KB, 1343x751, iwata.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3563724

>> No.3565481

>>3563724
prease understandu

>> No.3565535

>>3564690
Kill yourself

>> No.3565550

>>3563941
you completely forgot less homosexual and more talented

>> No.3565996

>>3564896
good man

>> No.3566037

>>3565535
Don't you mean "keel yorrsalf", yank?

>> No.3566069
File: 1.17 MB, 959x960, 1464687237477.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3563879
>Dunkin' Donuts Porkchop
I think this is my favorite spin on this meme. I literally kek'd out loud and made people look at me on the train.

>> No.3566070

>>3564174
Wow, I've seen some youtube parroting in my time, but this...

>> No.3567847

>>3566070
a lot of people dont like the gamecube, apparently

>> No.3569428

>>3564174
This is the stupidest post I've seen in a while.

>>3563724
Iwata was a pretty cool guy and a great pres. Overall he's a legend in the industry.
His only issue was not realizing when to jump ship from casual.
At the end of the Wii's run is when he should have made his mobile move, but he hated the idea of Nintendo games being played on non-Nintendo hardware. Now, I understand that, but trying to compete with casual once mobile had such a strong and building footing was on him.
Should have either embraced it while using handhelds and consoles for "real" games, or totally move away from casual on his hardware and ignore mobile completely.
It was a battle he couldn't win.

>> No.3569453
File: 58 KB, 800x544, MarioTyping.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3569428

I never really saw the Wii as a "casual" console. I dunno, but games like Sin and Punishment 2 or the Wii Fire Emblem game (hardest one I've played in the series) don't really seem "casual" to me. Besides, it's not like the 360, the PS3 and the PC didn't have their own casual games. In fact, PC is probably the king of casual gaming (well, smart devices now, but back then was PC).
Anyway, I always thought this whole "casual-hardcore" terms were something fabricated in the recent times, I don't remember those words in gaming culture back in the day.

As for mobile, aren't the Nintendo games for phones (pokemon go, mario run) not "main" games but more like advertising to get new people into Nintendo IPs? Eventually we might see the "nintendoomed" some people have been calling since the NES came out, but so far, all I see is some mobile stuff that's not even made by Nintendo themselves, and they're still planning to get a new system out (whatever the NX is).
Also, while the Wii U was probably the least popular Nintendo home system, I remember reading they actually made profit out of it.

All in all I don't really know what to think, most people talk about Iwata, the Wii, the casuals, the Wii U failure, and I don't really see it... I mean, it's more like gray areas, Wii had a lot of casual titles, but some of the most "hardcore" titles of its time, the same can be said about the WiiU. And the whole "nintendo is going 3rd party" still seem like a fantasy. It's not even the first time Nintendo "went 3rd party" to promote their IPs.

Anyway, Iwata was a cool guy, regardless of all this industry mumbo jumbo.

>> No.3569476

>>3563880
never seen that one before, loved it

>> No.3569505

>>3569453
>I never really saw the Wii as a "casual" console
Nor do I, a console is a console, the terms hardcore and casual are pretty much made up.

What I meant in casual was easier and more open to new players, which the Wii was and was intended to be. Sure some games were easier than some older ones, like Galaxy, but look at Metroid Prime 3, not an easy game by any means.
The point was the Wii was targeted at people who didn't or rarely gamed, when mobile didn't really exist, and it killed. With games like Wii Sports and also with games like MP3 and No More Heros.
But once mobile took over that "casual" (people who don't or rarely game) market, that's when Iwata should have changed the business and marketing strat. not try and compete with it by coming out with the Wii U and making games easier and just less soulful.

All in all I think the Wii was perfectly done, I know I enjoyed tons of games on it.
It was after that and not growing and trying to reposition themselves.

>> No.3569553

>>3569428
care to correct that guy, then? because everything he said rang true, to me. Microsoft and Sony positioned their systems as broad entertainment systems, with DVD connectivity and being able to expand game experiences with online content. Nintendo refusing to play ball resulted in being left in the dust, period.

and the Gamecube was a GAME CUBE. it did nothing more than play games, and had a handle so you could carry it to your friend's house. Cute idea, walking down the street with a gaming system, like you would carry a lunch box. the PS2 and Xbox were too sophisticated and too expensive to be carried around like a piece of luggage. Serious gaming for serious gamers, is the message they put out

>> No.3569594

>>3569553
>that guy

>> No.3569774

>>3569553
>Microsoft and Sony positioned their systems as broad entertainment systems
From a business perspective, yeah, obviously focusing on those things is a good idea.
Focusing on just playing fucking video games isn't a bad thing when it comes to actual passionate gamers, because at the end if the day the important thing about any console is the video games.

>> No.3569843
File: 34 KB, 640x480, 1432076300110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3563724
>smiles and tears

>> No.3569853
File: 344 KB, 409x471, hiptanaka.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hirokazu Tanaka's Balloon Fight remix dedicated to Iwata.

https://soundcloud.com/hip_tanaka/dedicated-to-satoru-iwata