[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 3 KB, 288x175, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3561598 No.3561598 [Reply] [Original]

Just trying saturn emulation for the first time. I read ssf should be the best but its in japajap, is there no english patch/fork?

I tried yabuase, it just got updated.

Full screen is only showing me a quarter of the actual game and its prone to crashing when changing the settings.

What is the best way to emulate yhe saturn?

>> No.3561614

>>3561598

mednafen

>> No.3561623

>>3561614
This. SSF alternatively, but you should really go with mednafen.

>> No.3561690

>>3561614
>>3561623
Too early to tell.

Mednafen might be better than SSF but it's too soon to tell.

OP: SSF is traditionally the go-to emulator.
Mednafen is pretty good but it was released just a few months ago, if you're going to use it you'll essentially be a tester.
Yabause always was pretty bad.

>> No.3561707

Thanks, will try.
What gui should be used for mednafen?

>> No.3561738
File: 1.58 MB, 352x224, sega rally delta.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3561707
If you're actually using mednafen.exe you can try medgui, but I'm still unsure if that helps or just makes it worse

If not you can always play the mednafen-saturn core on retroarch

Also
archive.org/download/SgaStrnCmplt

>> No.3561742

>>3561738
>If not you can always play the mednafen-saturn core on retroarch

Tried on archlinux, setup hell. On windows now, came to the conclusion this enviroment is better for emulation. Giving it another go.

>Also
>archive.org/download/SgaStrnCmplt

Yeah, thats great! Thanks.

>> No.3561835

Works great, but no save states?

>> No.3561876

>>3561738
>archive.org/download/SgaStrnCmplt
>sega Saturn complete
>no Super Tempo
>no Thunder Force Gold Pack 2
>shit load of dupes
>none of them work on an SD Loader

useless collection.

>> No.3561883

>>3561876
Yes it's a misleading name, it's just not those 2 games, a shitload of stuff is missing, not to mention there's hardly rips from all 3 regions. But to say it's useless is ridiculous. Find me a handier way to download all those games without seeding for 10 years on pleasuredome if that's so useless.

If they don't work on RHEA then convert it to whatever format rhea wants, because these are proper rips bin+cue rips.

Also I don't think I ever saw a proper rip of Super Tempo out there for some reason.

>> No.3561903

>>3561883
>If they don't work on RHEA then convert it to whatever format rhea wants, because these are proper rips bin+cue rips.

Bincue is not a proper rip, it doesn't even handle subcodes, nor can it do multisession.

It's an emu baby format, not a proper rip.

>> No.3561920

>>3561903
You mean subchannel data?
I never understood what the fuck that was for
Pretty sure you can add a .sub file to it if you really want it, so it would be bin+cue+sub

>it cant do multisession
You just create a bin+cue file for each session

>> No.3561940

>>3561920
>I never understood what the fuck that was for

I'm not surprised. You sound like an emulator baby to me.

>Pretty sure you can add a .sub file to it if you really want it, so it would be bin+cue+sub

Nothing will burn it like that, even if it will, it will conflict with the cue sheet.

>You just create a bin+cue file for each session

The disc will get finalized if you burn a bin/cue, so you can't burn another session from a second one.

>> No.3561947

>>3561940
>The disc will get finalized if you burn a bin/cue
No it won't, I don't know what backwards software you're using but any burning software can specify if you want to close the disc or not

>> No.3562118

>>3561947
That only works for single tracks. Burning bin/cue is a full cd image, so apps will finalize the disc.

Still even if there are burning apps that allow you to not finalize it, and expand the content later on, the gap between the sessions would not be the same as on the original discs. What you mention is an ad-hoc band aid solution, not unlike burning iso/mp3 without a cuesheet.

>> No.3562128

>>3561598
SSF is the best. I'm not sure which version you're using, but the one I have is in english.
(SSF Ver. 0.12 beta)

>> No.3562383
File: 23 KB, 676x511, Image3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3561947
>I don't know what backwards software you're using but any burning software can specify if you want to close the disc or not

The option gets greyed out if you burn a full disc image.

>> No.3562441

>>3562128
>>3562128
>SSF is the best. I'm not sure which version you're using, but the one I have is in english.
>(SSF Ver. 0.12 beta)

Using mednafen core in retro and testing shaders, really nice. But no save state function, albert crashed a few times and didnt safe its sram. Have to play from start again, that sucks..

>> No.3562496

>>3562441
I told you you'd be a tester and errors would pop up.
Again, mednafen is great so far but it's too soon to take it seriously. Let it stabilize and come back when it's more mature. Use SSF.

>> No.3563847

>>3561598
>its in japajap,
No it isn't. Been using it for about a decade and it's always been in english.
>What is the best way to emulate yhe saturn?
SSF and/or Mednafen. Yabause is useless.
>>3561707
Doesn't need one. Otherwise Retroarch.

>> No.3563884

>>3561903
>It's an emu baby format, not a proper rip.

Point, explaination... Wheres your example of a proper rip?

>> No.3563926
File: 1.98 MB, 158x158, 1431720215157.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3561598
SSF is your best bet for now,mednafen is surrounded with some weird people its like a cult and im pretty sure that people shilling it post here every day.

So go with SSF works great.
One thing that nobody of the other anons is telling you that you should check compatibility of the game with what version of the emulator.
>segasaturn.org
ex.
>http://www.segasaturn.org/Japan.htm

And here is the archive download for all games
>https://archive.org/download/SgaStrnCmplt

Have fun anon

>> No.3563931

I've been testing the new English patch for Policenauts, for that I'd recommend mednafen solely because it has properly working mouse support, which really helps that game. SSF is useless for mouse support - it doesn't capture pointer in the window and if you click anywhere outside of it, the emu crashes. You can imagine how completely unusable that is.

>> No.3563975
File: 472 KB, 680x510, 1407455315084.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3563931
>we live in a timeline where mednafen is slowly surpassing SFF

>> No.3564004

>>3563884
Already explained above. No multisession support, no subcode support, and the format itself gives you so much leeway that 10 different apps produce 10 different bin and cue files.

Other formats like CDI, CloneCD, even Nero and Alcohol, are much more powerful. I prefer CloneCD because there's a free app to dump files in a compatible format, plus it is backwards compatible with bin/cue (as long as the disc does not require multisession or subcodes), which makes it the best format all around.

>> No.3564101

>>3564004
Alright thanks. Its good to know whats best to rip to.

>> No.3564918

wow, medanfen is such a nightmare to configure and please, at least you get a bunch of consoles, anyone knows how to stop windows from closing the commandline? automatically? looking up on google gave me useless bullshit and medgui Reborn is quite shit

>> No.3565124 [DELETED] 

Open the folder where you have mednafen.exe
In the address bar type cmd
Open from there

>> No.3565129

>>3564918
Open the folder where you have mednafen.exe
In the address bar type cmd
Open from there

Again if you don't like mednafen's UI you can always try it in retroarch

>> No.3565409

>>3561876
>missing a few games im too retarded to find on rom sites
>useless collection
Literally retarded. It may only be cmplt as opposed to complete but it has games you simply will not find anywhere else. Maybe nothing you're interested in or cable of understanding but that doesn't change the fact that they're there.
>don't know how to get them to work on "an SD Loader"
Literally more retarded

>> No.3565443

>>3562118
You're throwing out a lot of words just to say I'm full of shit and don't know how to do this.

>> No.3565456

>>3565129
>retroarch
Please don't, just grab a mednafen frontend. Retroarch is a pathetic pile of garbage that will crash with no explanation if you dare get something wrong and also will randomly lose all of your configuration that you worked so hard to unfuck the damn thing with its horrible defaults.

>> No.3565949

>>3561598
You have to change the region in the options menu. It's set to Japanese by default.

My first go was with Satourn. The only game I could get running was House of the Dead. It ran at ludicrous speeds and only sometimes audio, no matter what I messed with.

20 minutes of messing with SSF and I'm impressed. I have only tested 3 games with it: Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Jam, and Shinobi Legions, but they all run flawlessly. So I guess from personal experience, I'd say SSF.

>> No.3565959
File: 10 KB, 252x200, download.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3562118

>> No.3565998

>>3565456
I never really had any of those problems with Retroarch, maybe you had a bad experience with a nightly build that was terribly unstable?
You won't lose your configurations if you save them, and AFAIK it always saves your configs upon exit.

>> No.3566008

>>3563926
>And here is the archive download for all games
no Dragon Master Silk
useless collection.

>> No.3566714

>>3565456
>Retroarch is a pathetic pile of garbage that will crash with no explanation if you dare get something wrong

Errors are printed on the console, just like Mednafen.

>also will randomly lose all of your configuration that you worked so hard to unfuck the damn thing with its horrible defaults

It's not random when it's because you didn't save it by cleanly exiting first or using the save current config option.

>> No.3566927

>>3565409
>it has games you simply will not find anywhere else

Like what? Here are some games I can't find proper rips of:
- Super Tempo,
- Thunder Force Gold Pack 2,
- Denpa Shounenteki Game 2,
- Delisoba Deluxe

Oh wait, none of those are in this collection either.

What the fuck am I supposed to appreciate here, the Brazilian and Korean versions of Nights into Dreams and Fighting Vipers?

>don't know how to get them to work on "an SD Loader"

I know how to get them working, but I don't see why they couldn't just upload them in a working format to begin with. If we need to start converting images to get them working, then they might as well be iso/mp3 dumps.

>> No.3566927,1 [INTERNAL] 

you're an idiot pathetic and lazy
Instead of despising my work learn how to use the command line, or you can write your frontend.

>> No.3568343

>>3566927
>I can't find proper rips
Because your definition of a proper rip is dripping with autism. Maybe if you didn't spend time being assmad that all rips made ages ago weren't in the format you want to run on a device that was made recently?
I don't expect you to appreciate anything there. You've already made it clear that your incapable of appreciating anything not in your desired format. You've made it clear that it's unacceptable to burn a free giveaway disc without subs. The tism is strong with this one.

>> No.3568413
File: 63 KB, 1000x1192, 1472852731879.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3568343
Not him but there isn't really a proper Super Tempo rip out there.

I can concede that there are problems with bin+cue, but it's probably the best open format out there, at least to the extent that it's remotely standardized. Complaining that rips shouldn't be in bin+cue is not the solution because there isn't really any viable open alternative with widespread support.
As far as I know all the other formats that are better than bin+cue are closed standards for very specific commercial burning software, and usually windows only software, which creates another subset of problems.

I just wish someone with some weight in the disk burning community could come up with a proper open format that managed to incorporate all the features a disk needs, and make a strong push that would help standardize it.

And in a single file no less, because juggling cuesheets and multiple audio track files is just prone to creating human error. How many more times must I download rips with files missing, or having to edit cuesheets when I just want to change the filename.

Complaining that bin+cue has its problems is one thing, but pretending like there's a proper alternative is a little disingenuous.

It's all a goddamn mess.

>> No.3568672

>>3568343
>Because your definition of a proper rip is dripping with autism.

Two of the games I listed there don't even have ANY rip, not a bin/cue, not a iso+mp3, with or without subs, no, nothing.

I could name a couple of others that don't have rips either, but not all of them are interesting (JP version of Scorcher, bunch of Japanese Netlink titles, damn near every jp promo disc, etc).

It's not easy to appreciate you linking "Sega Saturn Complete" compilations when they are NOT complete.

>>3568413
>at least to the extent that it's remotely standardized.

Except that it is not. Half the applications out there rip pregaps differently for example, some skip them entirely, some will create bogus values, some will even cause audio desync (Alcohol 120%). I don't think I've seen anything other than Cdrwin4 that supports the 2448 byte mode - either ripping in such format, or burning such format. Some apps even choke if you don't use a double digit index number in the cue, and then some apps allow you to use MP3s directly in the cue sheet while others do not. And then there is the "nonstandard" cue sheet that Exact Audio Copy uses.

If it was properly standardized, then none of this would not be a problem. You'd have 1 way of ripping and that would be that, and if some information is missing because the drive can't read it, then that should be listed in the image somehow. If it was properly standardized.

>> No.3568683

Can someone recommend a virtual drive? I used to use a decent old version of daemon tools lite on my laptop until I got a new computer this summer, in which the copy wouldn't work anymore.

>> No.3568708

>>3568413
>all the other formats that are better than bin+cue are closed standards for very specific commercial burning software

CloneCD is basically bin/cue but with a more detailed INI format file describing the TOC instead of a cuesheet, and a separate subcode file. There's at least one open source app that can make fully compatible dumps that I know of, and a bunch of applications to convert ccd to cue.

>I just wish someone with some weight in the disk burning community could come up with a proper open format that managed to incorporate all the features a disk needs, and make a strong push that would help standardize it.

Then you'd just have 1 more competing standard, that most legacy apps would be incompatible with.

I don't think it would be possible to create a new, it-does-everything format today, because optical discs are dying. Modern computers don't even come with optical drives.

>And in a single file no less, because juggling cuesheets and multiple audio track files is just prone to creating human error.

You couldn't have all data in 1 file because some parts of a CD can not even be ripped by all drives. Worse, subcodes have no real data protection, you can not rip them twice and get the same data, so it would be impossible to check a good dump by the file hash if it was all in 1 file.
This makes CDI, MDF/MDS and NRG formats unsuitable.

You'd have to split the main binary, the TOC descriptor, and the subcode to separate files.

I think the currently the best format is CloneCD for all those reasons. Backwards compatible, but modern enough to support just about everything.

One way to improve on it would be to put more extensive logging in the CCD file (drive used, software used, offset correction if used, etc), and perhaps combine the img/ccd/sub files into a single gzipped format. Then you have proper hashes, all in 1 file, and you can just unpack it for use with legacy software.

>> No.3568709

>>3566927
>Like what? Here are some games I can't find proper rips of:
>- Super Tempo,
just wait for a rip, I'm sure some faggot will do it soon

>> No.3568712

>>3568683
I use Daemon Tools Lite v4.47.1.0333. Never seen it fail for any image before, and works fine even on Win10 x64.

You'll need to untick the two or three toolbars while installing, and that's the only bloat it comes with (newer versions are much worse).

>> No.3568715

>>3568709
>just wait for a rip, I'm sure some faggot will do it soon

If no one did for 16 years, what makes you think that waiting for it is a good idea?

>> No.3568736

>>3568715
>If no one did for 16 years, what makes you think that waiting for it is a good idea?
dude chill the fuck out, we know the situation on the game and how it hasn't been reripped since 2001, we know collectors are basically hoarding it

Just play it in SSF like everyone else has. Look man I'd buy the damn game and rip it for the whole world so we can put an end to people asking if it works in Mednafen but throwing that kind of money around for one game is absurd to me for one. If you're not going to do anything I suggest you take what you can get and be civil about it.

>> No.3568754

>>3566714
>Errors are printed on the console, just like Mednafen.
Um, no. No, they're not. The output of retroarch is literally nothing.

>It's not random when it's because you didn't save it by cleanly exiting first or using the save current config option.
I actually do and it still comes back sometimes and just completely forgets my entire configuration. It's not an every time thing, it's just random. Which tells me that retroarch is a huge pile of steaming buggy shit.

>> No.3568760

>>3568754
>Which tells me that retroarch is a huge pile of steaming buggy shit.
I'd agree, definitely takes some time getting used to all the nuances

It sure does make some magic out of the Wii though, I think I'm thoroughly convinced that people will put up with all sorts of bullshit just as long as the end result is VIDEO GAME ON TV.

>> No.3568764

I don't have a Saturn, but I'm opting to get one soon, maybe for my birthday.

>> No.3568782

>>3561707
Medgui if you want to stay with the standalone. I use it through RA personally.

>> No.3569146

>>3568413
>proper
It's more than a little disingenuous to complain there isn't a proper rip of something right after you complain that there isn't a proper way of ripping.

>>3568672
>two of the games don't have ANY rip
>those two non-existent rips aren't in that set
Autism: The Post
>you posted the link
I didn't. More autism
>the set is NOT Cmplt
Autism and Irony. Always a good pair.

>> No.3569168

>>3569146
>It's more than a little disingenuous to complain there isn't a proper rip of something right after you complain that there isn't a proper way of ripping.

There is.

>Autism: The Post

Call me when you dump your copy of Delisoba Deluxe.

>> No.3569196

>>3561598
Am I the only one that doesn't have issues with yabuase? Maybe I don't play enough.

>> No.3569691

>>3561598
the best way to emulate a saturn is to buy a real saturn

on a serious note, I've never had problems with SSF, which I use to test rips before burning them to disc.

>> No.3570172

Any way I can make ntsc shaders work on PS3? blargg filters don't look as good.
If I load a preset it doesn't load anything, just shows the previously loaded shader, if I try to set the individual passes they just don't work, nothing happens.

>> No.3571938

>>3569168
Are you calling yourself a liar or are you not the anon I replied to?

I'll be sure to call you as soon as I dump any of my undumped saturn shit. Please do hold your breath.

>> No.3572138

>>3571938
>Please do hold your breath.

You are the cancer of the Saturn community.