[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 136 KB, 256x308, Shadow_Warrior_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3534193 No.3534193 [Reply] [Original]

So, many of you are probably familiar with the "Build Trilogy" FPS games. I've played probably around 200+ hours each of Duke 3D, Blood, and Shadow Warrior. And my conclusion from this is: Shadow Warrior is the best one, easily. It has the best weapons, the best ammo/health distribution, the best levels, the best assets and design, the best enemies, the best technology. But if wikipedia is to be believed, it's the game which is generally considered to be the worst. I really genuinely don't understand how this can be the consensus. My only explanation is that people never gave this game a fair chance that is rightfully deserves. Sure, it's weird when you first try it, but once you've really played it there's no question that it's one of, if not the best classic FPS games of all time.

>> No.3534264

>>3534193
>the best weapons, the best ammo/health distribution
I don't understand these opinions. I played all the maps from a fresh start (no carrying over weapons) and SW throws ammo at you. It also has annoying high pickup/max ammo ratios, like the riot shells that come in packs of 24 but you can only hold 56, IIRC, and the uzi clips that are 50 but you can only hold 200.

Duke has the best balance in this regard.

>> No.3534390
File: 1.13 MB, 1600x972, SW_sword.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It certainly have the best melee weapon of them all. Even better than DOOM's chainsaw.

>> No.3534394 [DELETED] 

>>3534193
Now go play Redneck Rampage and it's sequel

>> No.3534409

>>3534193
Now go play Redneck Rampage and its sequel

>> No.3535014

>>3534193

The enemies being best in Shadow Warrior, I disagree with. There was too many annoying explosive enemies, including the basic enemies being able to launch rockets at you with no warning from a foot away. I give Duke the best enemies award, followed closely by Blood, and that's only close because the cultists are great.

>> No.3535112

>>3534193
I don't really understand why SW isn't more highly regarded either. I think maybe it has to do with how what it offers isn't different enough from DN3D; even if execution is excellent.

One thing that surely didn't help make it famous was how for one thing, it doesn't have DN3D's modding support, and it is also much harder to make maps for it.
The more the game offers in terms of mapping possibilities, the harder it is go get into it. This is why Doom still has the biggest the community and SW's community is pretty much just one guy these days.
I did make a map for SW though, called Showdown In Suzhou check it out if you're interested, and I can tell noone has even scratched the possibilities the game offers in terms of game effects.

>>3534264
>and the uzi clips that are 50 but you can only hold 200.
This is the same for Doom's and Duke's chainguns though.

As for the game's balance, supplies ratio, personally I like it that way because you can play on the highest skill katana start and have tons of fun. The good thing about it is that you don't have to worry about it so you can start any map, any skill, and have fun like you'd have started from the start.
And I think that's also why it has so much supplies: since you're so much more likely to die in SW, and therefore is supposed to restart the level over losing all your weapons, they made sure you won't be stuck and it won't get too hardcore if you die.

>>3535014
>the basic enemies being able to launch rockets at you with no warning from a foot away.

It's not without warning. Ninjas have different colors.
The different coloured ones can fire different projectiles (rockets, grenades, flames).

>I give Duke the best enemies award,
DN3D is probably still my favourite, and has always been the same I spent the most time with, but its enemies aren't very bright. For instance they have a really hard time tracking down the player.

>> No.3535118

>>3534193

You're not wrong. Shadow Warrior > Blood > Dook in that order

>> No.3535137

>>3535112
>This is the same for Doom's and Duke's chainguns though
Yes, but in Doom the chaingun fires much slower, you need fewer bullets for most enemies, you can expand the capacity with the backpack, and you can pick up smaller clips instead of ammo boxes being the only bullet pickup. Duke's ripper seems more effective than SW's uzis so you don't spray as many shots around.

I dunno, it's not a huge deal or anything, it just feels like especially once you have double uzis you blow through the ammo super fast without as much to show for it. Once I get a few decent weapons, uzis are a "I guess I should use these because I'm maxed on ammo and can't pick up any more" weapon for me (and then I run out quickly) instead of being something I use situationally.

These are minor gripes but it's all part of why I think SW is a clear third place.

>> No.3535148

>>3534193
I don't really agree with SW having the best enemies, I like Douk's enemy more and SW didn't really have better ammo distribution compared to the other two games, it was more or less the same.
It did have the best protagonist and voice clips by far though, I don't get how many people here like Caleb, I've always found him unfun and the whole psycho act was really too edgy compared to Douk or Lo Wang's antics which could have well been out of a Carpenter movie.

That said, HEY YOU GOT A NEW FRIEND!

>> No.3535226

>>3534390
Doom's chainsaw is garbage.

>> No.3535519

>>3535226

O'really? It's pretty good.

>> No.3535732

>>3535226
No way chainsaw is great. Stuns and kills anything up to and including the cacodemon.

>> No.3535753

I can play through Duke Nukem 3D no problem

I don't know what I'm doing in Shadow Warrior

Help?

>> No.3535807

>>3535753
The stakes are higher. You can die more quickly, but you can also kill more quickly. Don't try to circle strafe like a moron against hitscan enemies, it generally doesn't work like it would in DN3D or Doom. Don't hesitate to take cover and take out the heavy firepower when needed.

>> No.3535823

>>3534193
I have hundreds of hours in the big 3, too. SW is also great but I prefer the other two.

My biggest qualm with SW is that the weapons feel really unsatisfying. Blood's weapons are an orgasm to shoot, Duke 3D's feel pretty good but SW's just feel like shit. I also prefer the level design in the other two games. I don't really remember any levels in SW apart from the shareware episode whereas I remember loads of Blood and Duke.

>> No.3535847

>>3535112
I just beat your level. It was very ambitious because of how big and varied it was. FPS games always seem noticeably harder to me when the maps are so open. I almost lost my mind when I saw a fireball shoot halfway across the the level spitting in every direction.

>> No.3535856

>>3535847
Ah thank you. The shadow enemies fireballs, it was intended effect. I figured that it's so open, the player would notice it coming miles away and it'd make for a cool effect.

The map CAN be really hard indeed, especially at the start in the open indeed. It's really recommended to use the boat and shoot with it, it is definitely possible to clear the outdoor area without using the boat but it is significately harder. Also recommended to explore the underwater area which is entirely optional but has tons of supplies.

>> No.3535867

Guys should I make a gaming PC even though my wrist feels fucked every time I play with keyboard due to RSI? As long as I don't play with keyboard it's fine, but as soon as I play again it hurts ;_;. It's nothing serious though MRI doesn't find anything.

I don't wanna use a controller that obviously doesn't give you anywhere near the precision that KBM does and ain't nearly as fun and negates the main advantage of PC FPS gameplay altogether. I miss retro FPS so much.

>> No.3535912

>>3535867
i didn't found precision to be that important in these games, at least not in chocolate doom. kbm is still better though, but that's becouse i'm not used to controllers, in theory, twin stick control scheme should be inferior only in precision, which is not required in most of old schoold shooters, especially if played on lower difficulties.

>> No.3535947

>>3535112

"It's not without warning. Ninjas have different colors.
The different coloured ones can fire different projectiles"

Lack of proper enemy identification is not the main problem of this game, the real issue is that the ninjas' animations don't adequately telegraph their most dangerous attacks.

For exemple, instead of pointing a rocket launcher at the player for a few frames, giving him just enough time to react, the projectile just magically comes out of the ninja's chest, which is as stupid as it sounds.

>> No.3536095

>>3535912
I don't play on lower difficulties. Play through all of Plutonia on UV with twin stick and then play with KBM. Do the same with Duke on DIG difficulty, Blood on WD, Shadow Warrior on NPNG. If you honestly don't feel a dramatic difference you're a really shitty player of video games friend.

>> No.3536171

>>3536095
not saying that there is no difference, just that precision is not that important, you are firing in a general direction of an enemy, not sniping. i could feel the difference of course, which is why i played with kbm, but maybe someone who is really skillful with twin stick wouldn't.

>> No.3536576

>>3534193
>best weapons
yeah

>best levels

HELL NO. the first two levels are pretty cute but the rest are a confusing jumble of Cambodian shit.

>> No.3537029

>>3536171
>but maybe someone who is really skillful with twin stick wouldn't.
I'm great with dual analogs but I'm far greater with kbm. Your gameplay ability with kbm is far higher than what your dual analog skill ceiling could ever be. You're essentially gimped compared to how you can play with kbm. The following speedrun and skill on display could never have been done with dual analog controls:
https://youtu.be/EUBUYWIZUpE

It doesn't matter that you don't need "sniper pixel precision" for retro fps. With kbm you can turn and look instantly to whatever direction you want to. You have 100% twitch control over your aim and this control will also be felt in improved movement precision. With dual analogs your turn speed is bound to analog sensitivity which will never give you anywhere near the precision you have with mouse. With kbm you can thus play far faster and more aggressively than you could ever do with dual analogs. Its honestly quite sad that I have to explain something that should be so utterly obvious.

>> No.3538007

Recommended maps for this game?

>> No.3538035

>>3538007
Usermaps and episodes?

There aren't that many good really.
First of all, make sure you played both add-ons.

Then, in no specific order:
Last Warrior TC
City Life (play on skill 3 to have enemies)
Bento Noodle
50 Shells in Hell (1 and 2)
Showdown in Suzhou (derp)
SWWorld
Shadow (an unfinished SW beta map someone touched up and made playable)