[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 108 KB, 372x705, img_6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3498943 No.3498943 [Reply] [Original]

What does /vr/ think of Technos Japan? How come they couldn't stick with one consistent localized title for the Kunio series (e.g. Renegade, River City, Crash 'n the Boys) for the English versions? Why did they kept switching Billy and Jimmy's hair/outfit colors between games and why did they allow Tradewest to make that awful Double Dragon V fighting game? Does anyone care about Combatribes or any of the other non-franchise games?

>> No.3499494
File: 217 KB, 670x1002, CH8W8y3UMAAj71-.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bumpan'

>> No.3499505

I was one of the few kids at my local arcade who actually learned to play renegade and beat the boss. I played it half a lifetime later on an emulator and was shit and forgot everything.

I played the fuck out of river city ransom when they came out. I had that big map with all the shops from nintendo power.

Combatribes was at a local gas station but the gameplay was a little dated compared to other 90s fighting games and it seemed dead on arrival.

>> No.3499621

>>3498943
Typical case of HUGE IN JAPAN and CULTURAL SHIT KEPT THAT FROM COMING HERE

Every time they wanted to bring a Kunio game over, they had to change it. Make them slick greasers, punks, anything that ain't the Japan High School M-O of the time "Yare yare daze...."

>> No.3499641

they were great, to bad they died

it's nice how they maintained their artistic and gameplay style across most of their games, you could see how they improved while bringing in new ideas

their style died with them, no other company can do sport games like them

>> No.3499838

>>3499641
There was a retro-style Kunio game for the PS3 not long ago. It even got a digital release on the U.S. PS Store.

>> No.3499874

OK, can anyone teach me the appeal of RCR?

I love Renegade. Beating people on the floor, throwing them to pits and shit. Jump mechanic too.

But RCR seems more like RPG. Collect coins, buy upgrades. Voila. Not much need for skill. And given that a lot of time you just pick objects and you get 1 attack with them, it's not much variety.

Bosses, again. Seem either super cheap or easy (with best moves).

Where's the challenge, the skill advancement? Is it in learning to block? The game's fun, don't get me wrong, but I beat it twice and feel I don't have any reason to get back to it. Love Renegade much more.

>> No.3499886

>>3499874
Have you beaten it on Advanced difficulty?

>> No.3499919

>>3499886
Um I think not. How is it different, exactly? What's the strategy? Is there any point in getting skillful?

>> No.3499936

>>3498943
One of the best developers ever. SO MANY quality games on just the NES alone. They were up there with Capcom and Konami as one of the best NES third parties.

>> No.3500051

>>3499936
> on NES alone
They did games for other platforms?

>> No.3500060

I liked the GBA remake of RCR.
When do we get a port

>> No.3500087
File: 49 KB, 157x443, TJC_characters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3500051
Nope. Except for Geom Cube on PS and Popeye's Beach Volley on Game Gear, they were strictly a Nintendo third-party.

>> No.3500201

>>3500087
What about the Neo Geo games?

>> No.3500328

>>3500201
Slipped my mind there, although I always view the Neo-Geo more of an arcade hardware than conventional home console.

>> No.3501027

>>3499874
So, will anyone explain the appeal to me after all?

>> No.3501139

>a technos /vr/ thread.

im sorry for talking about a new game, but i guess this is as good as place as any to give this news as any Technos/kunio thread in /v/ gets killed almost instantly.

http://kuniokun.jp/monogatari/

according to the twitter feed at the left (the renka_schedule posts) apparently RCR SP IS gonna get released this year, however, as the site hasnt been updated and theres no TGS announcement news on the arcsys site, please consider these as rumors and take them with a grain of salt.

the new release date is marked as October 27 supposedly, due to the delay arcsys decided to lower the price of the game from 4860 to 3780 yen.

strangely enough, theres still no news or new info on the kunio famicom collection, not even on TGS time.

>> No.3501142

>>3499838
you mean super sports challenge?

that game is on steam too.

>> No.3501292

>>3498943
I miss these guys.

>> No.3502154
File: 187 KB, 800x600, DDragon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3501142
Cool! I wasn't aware they ported it to Steam.

>> No.3503926
File: 71 KB, 600x468, ura-technos.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3501139
Is Miracle Kidz still officially involved with the Kunio series? They indefinitely postponed the release of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari 2 on the WiiWare due to licensing issues and said they were working on a new IP, but nothing ever surfaced since then.
http://mkidz.jp/

>> No.3504469
File: 301 KB, 1200x675, kunio-full-set.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like them but I guess in the end, just like many other japanese games, they were too japanese to be just translated so they didn't even bother.

>> No.3504529
File: 319 KB, 800x600, 5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3504469
They also made the mistake of handing out the Double Dragon rights to a licensee in the U.S. (where the series was more popular), essentially depriving their U.S. subsidiary of their most profitable IP to what was essentially a competitor.

>> No.3504540

>>3500051
They produced several SNES games plus some arcade games.

>> No.3505304

>>3504540
They aren't well-known, are they? I tired the SNES Kunio RPG-like beat 'em up. Never got past motorcycle stage and quit it, it wasn't very fun anyway

>> No.3505308

>>3501027
There isn't appeal pham, Renegade is better. People only like RCR because it was "innovtive" and they appreciate the RPG elements more than pure beat 'em ups mechanics.

>> No.3505313

>>3505308
That's a real bummer then. Time to move on to other beat 'em ups

>> No.3505317
File: 237 KB, 811x1024, CH8TEm-UEAAp1pa.jpg orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3505308
>>3505313
I like RCR mostly for speedrunning purposes. Otherwise, I've always been more of a Double Dragon guy.

>> No.3505576

>>3501027
I agree with >>3505308
There isn't an appeal, it's just a specific genre in a specific setting. You either like it or you don't.
The whole thing to me, is for example, when you look at >>3504469 you see a whole series of games all taking place in the high school days (except for the samurai era spinoff), where whatever they do, they use violence to solve their problems. Dialogue plays a big part into getting to know and liking the characters, but the whole problem is that like Goemon for example, the whole persona of the characters, sports and in game references are all japanese. Just like their way of speaking and dissing each other. It doesn't translate well, no matter how you look at it.

>> No.3505681

>>3503926
Who knows really.

Miracle kidz was founded by the original kunio creator right?

Maybe because he has been busy with underground he hasnt moved (after all RCRU is kinda a sequel of RCR too, only imagined by US audiences), also, god knows how many people actually have bought anything from them outside the wii game thats why that supposed RCR EX special hack is so fucking rare

Really this whole technos/Mkidz kunio/dd copyright shazbat is really messed up, one would think after 30 years someone would do something about it, but not even arcsys new management has managed to get things straight given the RCR SP delays and lack of news this TGS, i get blazblue is the main event this year, but i doubt it would have hurt them to give the legacy franchise they have a little more spotlight outside some lets play in their fucking anniversary...

>> No.3505746

Combatribes is severely underrated. Great game.

>> No.3506731
File: 24 KB, 300x429, biographie-yoshihisa-kishimoto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3505681
>Miracle kidz was founded by the original kunio creator right?
They were headed by Mitsuhiro Yoshida and Hiroyuki Sekimoto, who were the co-directors of River City Ransom. They also worked on all games in the Downtown sub-series on the FC and SFC (e.g. Koushinkyoku, Jidaigeki, Baseball and the SFC version of Dodge Ball). They also worked on the NES versions of Super Dodge Ball and Double Dragon II.
http://mkidz.jp/info/

Yoshihisa Kishimoto (the man who helped with RCR Underground and DD Neon) worked on the original Renegade and most of the Double Dragon series (except for the Game Boy versions I believe), but he never really was that involved with Kunio until the recent 3DS games. Kunio-tachi no Banka was his baby though.
http://gold.ap.teacup.com/page03/

There was a French book written about Kishimoto a few years ago that's essentially a biographical book titled "Enter the Double Dragon." Supposedly an English edition was being made, but nothing ever came out of it.

>> No.3506791

>>3505576
>Dialogue plays a big part into getting to know and liking the characters, but the whole problem is that like Goemon for example, the whole persona of the characters, sports and in game references are all japanese. Just like their way of speaking and dissing each other. It doesn't translate well, no matter how you look at it.
Yep, exactly what I was thinking. I really would like to know more about the colorful cast and their personalities. Alas, even if I could read Japanese, I'd never understand their bosozoku memes. And in US setting with a translation it obviously makes very little sense (who the fuck is Slick anyway…).

I guess it's one of those games which are remembered mainly because they sold well, not because of their groundbreaking gameplay. Mighty Final Fight remains the king of NES fighters for me.

>> No.3506818
File: 158 KB, 791x1024, Btea5XWCYAEGao6.jpg orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3506791
>who the fuck is Slick anyway…
It's Simon's other name. In the JP backstory, Kunio, Hasebe (the Reiho girl you meet in the bridge, who is often drawn with violet/purple hair in the promotional art) and Yamada (Slick/Simon) were classmates in the same middle school.

Yamada's pre-battle dialogue is actually quite 4th wall-breaking in the JP version, as he tells the player "if I beat you, they better title the next game 'Hot Blooded Tough Guy Yamada-kun'" or something like that.

A lot of the JP version's humor and references got lost in the English translation, but I don't think they did a bad job on the localization per se.

>I guess it's one of those games which are remembered mainly because they sold well, not because of their groundbreaking gameplay. They interviewed a former American Technos employee for Retro Gamer a few years and he said that River City Ransom didn't really sell that well when it was first released (hence why they didn't bother to localize the immediately following Kunio games on the NES). I'm guessing it only became a cult favorite in later years during the NES collecting boom back in the late 90s/early 2000s thanks to internet exposure and its coverage on Nintendo Power.

>> No.3506847
File: 603 KB, 1280x960, tumblr_nv4ag7mYmd1rppy76o1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3506818
>They interviewed a former American Technos employee for Retro Gamer a few years and he said that River City Ransom didn't really sell that well when it was first released (hence why they didn't bother to localize the immediately following Kunio games on the NES). I'm guessing it only became a cult favorite in later years during the NES collecting boom back in the late 90s/early 2000s thanks to internet exposure and its coverage on Nintendo Power.
Here's a link to the article in question.
https://www.scribd.com/document/76898369/RG020TechnosFIX

>> No.3506874

>>3499621
Greasers seem way cooler than japanese high school kids. I can see why they did that.

>> No.3506878

>>3505746
I consider it the real double dragon 3. It is a great game. Super dodgeball was great on the nes too.

>> No.3506879

>>3506791
>Mighty Final Fight remains the king of NES fighters for me.
Completely agree there, it's just fantastic that the controls are just as good as the arcade, I just wish it had 3 or 4 enemies on screen.

>> No.3507004

>>3506731
ah! thanks for the aclaration, i really thought kishimotos was the founder of Mkidz...

but yeah, if anything, this confirms kishimoto IS the creator of kunio, renegade is the american version of the original first kunio kun arcade game from the 80s.

>> No.3507008

>>3506874
well, at least with tokyo rumble and supersports challenge they are at least trying to keep the original setting, games like this tho would require something like a story summary or something.

the chara profiles that both games have definitely help, but only to a degree...

>> No.3507196
File: 472 KB, 500x707, downtownnekketsumonogatari1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3507004
>but yeah, if anything, this confirms kishimoto IS the creator of kunio, renegade is the american version of the original first kunio kun arcade game from the 80s.
You could say that, but Renegade isn't the one that achieve a huge cult following among NES kiddies.

>> No.3507746

>>3506879
>I just wish it had 3 or 4 enemies on screen.
Yeah, but given it is NES, this would never happen.

Also, the experience system would have to be completely revamped—since the most exp you get is when you finish the enemy with the third hit of knee bash, it's more centered on accurate finishes, which is pretty hard to do if you want hordes of enemies like in arcade Final Fight. Haggar is more powerful this way too; I assume the creators also specifically buffed him giving him more exp than others.

I think Mighty Final Fight worked surprisingly well, for such a weird idea (yes, chibi beat 'em up worked for Nekketsu, but still). But if you think of it, spinning kick/clothesline were almost useless in the game, as well as the weapons. Still, it nicely accented the aim for bonuses and full health (as you might know, if you find health replenishing items, such as meat/apples, and your health is full, then you get exp instead). Plus the special moves like Cody's projectiles really made it worth it.

It's different in many ways from Final Fight, but still a great game.

>> No.3508109
File: 275 KB, 824x1024, CePObtcVIAA80x-.jpg orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there anyone else who understands moonrunes? Am I interpreting this correctly?
>ジミーは足をすべらせて落ちた…
>Jimmy slipped and felt down
It seems to imply "Jimmy" was originally the blue guy and not the red guy as it is traditionally established, since the ending screenshots shows the red guy as the victorious player.

Also, the mohawked Abobo's name is Jikku (not sure how to romanize that) and not "Bolo" as it is generally assumed to be.

>> No.3508121

>>3505304
Shodai is much more fun. You should try that instead.

>>3506874
>Japanese delinquents > Greasers

>> No.3508198
File: 231 KB, 640x1161, 1446093564866.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just came to post this sick ass art.

>> No.3508221

Who's buying the new Kunio game on 3DS later this month

>> No.3508442

>>3506847
Those are yours? Where did you get the Kunio Kun ones?

>> No.3508452

>>3508221
You can bet i will, I pirated and finished the Jp ver. I want to complete it now, and what better way to do it than on a legally purchased translated version.

Who knows! Maybe if it sells we can have the other released games, and if we are lucky, the kunio famicom collection and RCR SP (assumimg the rumors are true of course)

yeah right... still gonna buy it

just as painful as DQM...

>> No.3508501
File: 198 KB, 552x552, 1458871976.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3508442
Not mine. Found the pictures online, but they were apparently freebies that ASW handed out in their booth during TGS last year after they got the rights to the former Technos IPs from Million.

>> No.3509583
File: 69 KB, 440x1000, Hasebe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bumpan'

>> No.3509621

>>3507746
>Yeah, but given it is NES, this would never happen.
Have you played Manhattan Project? Konami did some black magic with the NES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYJfkduIqwg
Consistent co-op + 3 enemies on screen, and from time to time some crazy shit like 7:40, 25:10 or 33:50

Also Gradius II was pretty impressive letting you use 4 options.

>> No.3509632

>>3509621
>25:10
meant 24:10

>> No.3509635

>>3509621
>Consistent co-op + 3 enemies on screen, and from time to time some crazy shit like 7:40, 25:10 or 33:50
To be fair, the Turtles don't have that many animation frames, hence less graphic data to load into the NES' RAM.

>> No.3509648

>>3509635
Animation looks pretty comparable to me

http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/mffight/sheet/38636/
http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/tmnt3/sheet/77409/
But in any case, I think sacrificing a couple animations for 2 more sprites on screen is a much wiser decission.

>> No.3509669

>>3509648
Yeah, but all three player characters in Mighty Final Fight are unique, whereas the Turtles themselves are mostly palette swaps aside from their signature weapons and megacrush attacks. Hence why TMNT2 and TMNT3 both have 2P co-op, whereas MFF is 1P only.

Of course DD3NES, allows four unique characters on-screen, but that game had plenty of slowdown in 2P mode.

>> No.3510097
File: 16 KB, 148x125, care bears.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3509621
Not only what >>3509669 said; the enemies also are palette swaps. Since NES could have no more than 3 colors for 1 sprite, and Leonardo's swords have both orange/white, I assume different weapons were simply overlaid over the same sprites to get different characters. This makes sense: after all, turtles were basically just palette swaps of each other in the cartoon/comic book, and Foot soldiers also looked the same. You could do the same for Power Rangers, Double Dragon, etc.—you get the idea.

Was it a technical marvel? I wouldn't say so. You think Konami, you think shmups. They also had plenty sprites on screen; but notice how you always had cohorts of only 1-2 kinds of enemies on screen at once. If you counted moving objects on screen,your jaw would probably drop, but they were all the same.

Mighty Final Fight had 3 different characters with completely different sprite assets and very nice animations. There was no slowdown in it, ever. It also left FF mechanics pretty much intact, even improving on them by adding experience.

But of course if you wanted co-op, Mighty Final Fight wasn't for you. TMNT3 and MFF were just different. The former had quantity, the latter had quality. To each his own.

>> No.3510596

>>3498943
I never got into Double Dragon 1 and 2, decided to try them again after 7 or so years I've played them first. I liked Renegade so I thought I'd like them eventually.

I guess DD1 was one of the first most influential games of its kind, but I just can't get into it. Punching is useless, headbutts knock down but have ridiculously short range. All combat is just spamming kicks, and everything feels so repetitive. There's little variety and weapons feel gimmicky a lot of the time. The controls feel wonky, like in early NES games, and who the fuck decided that double tap left/right should execute a headbutt anyway?

DD2 is better, with much more moves and fluid controls, but special move execution scheme is just weird. Why is knee so damn powerful?… It still feels a bit repetitive though. I could finish it but I didn't feel much motivation to do so.

>> No.3511290

>>3510596
>Punching is useless

Double Dragon is the reason why to this day I always opt for kicks whenever I play a game, doesn't even matter what type. DD just taught me kicks were better. I won't even use boxers like Balrog because psychologically they just seem weak to me because they don't kick.

>> No.3511340

>>3511290
Those reflexes can sit surprisingly deep on unconscious level. For some reason, both in Renegade and DD punching is just garbage. Using anything other than jump kick in Renegade has little point too.

It's also ironic that of all attacks, it's the hyper knee in DD2 that deals absolutely ridiculous damage, by far exceeding that of any other attack. DD series seems to always favor kicking for some inexplicable reason. https://youtu.be/1qpdn2oehV0

> Balrog
Actually, in ST he is a top-tier. No character comes close to him in terms of speed. See for example https://youtu.be/cbMllTeLTR0 (around 4:11 mark)

>> No.3511443

>>3509669
Well you can't do much to distinguish each Turtles in 8-bits graphics anyway, the megacrush/weapons were enough. And again, Mighty Final Fight not only lacks co-op, but has only 2 enemies on screen which is shit.

>>3510097
Bullshit, foot soldiers share some basic animations like walking but their attacks animatons and other behaviors are unique for each color. Konami did a good job to distinguish each other in gameplay and looks for such a limited console.

>Mighty Final Fight had 3 different characters with completely different sprite
So does TMNT3 (Turtle + Foot soldier + robots). Except it had 5-6 sprites on screen, moot point.

>It also left FF mechanics pretty much intact, even improving on them by adding experience.
Please, MFF is a nice little game and all but it didn't improve anything over the arcade.

> The former had quantity, the latter had quality.
Both are important to me, MFF has the mechanics but lacks the pace, TMNT3 has the pace but lacks more polished mechanics.

>> No.3511483
File: 85 KB, 720x1387, 51117-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3511443
> Bullshit, foot soldiers share some basic animations like walking but their attacks animations and other behaviors are unique for each color. Konami did a good job to distinguish each other in gameplay and looks for such a limited console.
How about you see for yourself? There are several different throwing animations, but otherwise they're pretty much the same.

> So does TMNT3 (Turtle + Foot soldier + robots)
Dude. Seriously. I mean, 3 heroes, and around 6 different enemies with different animations and different moves, not counting bosses.

> but it didn't improve anything over the arcade.
As I said: it added gaining levels/experience. It increases health and after lvl 4 it gives you a special move (with a secret move too, if you press "up" while you perform it with Cody/Guy). Needless to say getting exp is desirable, and there is a special mechanic for it: you get more exp for harder finishes, which adds a new dimension to the game.

> Mighty Final Fight not only lacks co-op, but has only 2 enemies on screen which is shit.
Look, if you seek co-op I agree. These are just 2 different games. Yes, I'd totally play Turtles with a friend. But otherwise I find it a bit too repetitive.

MFF is not like Final Fight, because it has experience which varies from finish to finish. It's a unique mechanic I haven't seen in any other game in the genre. Once you understand the mechanic, the game becomes ten times greater.

>> No.3511508

>>3511483
>How about you see for yourself?
I see enough difference gameplay-wise and that's what matters. Animation difference is fewer but still noticeable enough, after all they were just a pallete swap in the actual TV show too.

>Dude. Seriously. I mean, 3 heroes, and around 6 different enemies with different animations and different moves, not counting bosses.
We are talking about technical details here. TMNT3 has the same amount of unique sprites than MFF, but with double the sprite count.

>MFF is not like Final Fight, because it has experience which varies from finish to finish.
>which adds a new dimension to the game.
Absolutely not, it's just a nice little gimmick that doesn't change much the core gameplay of the game. Core Final Fight gameplay is solid crowd control mechanics with +6 enemies on screen, those extra mechanics are just bonuses, not essential. Don't pretend MFF is more than Mini Final Fight extra-lite because that's what it's.

>> No.3511557

>>3511508
>We are talking about technical details here. TMNT3 has the same amount of unique sprites than MFF, but with double the sprite count.
Are you kidding? 3 heroes + 6 enemies makes for 9 truly unique sprites.

> I see enough difference gameplay-wise and that's what matters. Animation difference is fewer but still noticeable enough, after all they were just a pallete swap in the actual TV show too.
In terms of gameplay, MFF enemies are quite different. For example, El Gado has 2 invincible attacks which go across the whole screen and throws knives, which really make you think tactically and stay alert. Poison can always quickly somersault and kick you out of the air. And Gale blocks and delivers powerful kicks that knock you down.

All these enemies form combinations with others, and in the end create real challenge, forcing you to always account who you're fighting against.

> Absolutely not, it's just a nice little gimmick that doesn't change much the core gameplay of the game.
Uh-huh. It seems to me you don't realize how much they change in the end.

If you don't give a fuck about exp, and want to pretend the game is supposed to be played exactly Final Fight—of course it will be boring "Final Fight Lite". "Core gameplay" statement is arguable—yes, you can throw enemies at each other, and yes, that's what spin kick is for. But with fewer enemies and when finishes matter, it plays just as natural, if not more. Special moves add another dimension and make accent on hitting a single enemy. Moreover: Haggar truly opens up in MFF because of his grabs.

> Don't pretend MFF is more than Mini Final Fight extra-lite because that's what it's.
Oh, looks like I was wrong, and beat the game over 20 times for nothing.

If you don't want to take my advice, so be it. I'm not arguing which game is better. I'm simply trying to help people discover it, play it for themselves and realize how good it really was.

>> No.3511561

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ApeIxpk6w

>> No.3511569

>>3511561
Fuck yeah I'd watch it

>> No.3511631

>>3511557
>Are you kidding? 3 heroes + 6 enemies makes for 9 truly unique sprites.
I'm talking about enemies on screen, but if that is your argument TMNT3 has at least 7 unique enemy sprites (4 different robots, foot soldier, flying gattling gun, stone arriors)

>I'm simply trying to help people discover it, play it for themselves and realize how good it really was.
It was good, for a NES, it's not a patch on the arcade. Your argument about special moves is weak, Final Fight 3 added more special moves and it was a much inferior game to the arcade too. Again, those are extras, not essential, the main appeal of Final Fight is fighting large crowds with different AI cross-ups, which neither the NES or SNES games could replicate. The combat mechanics of the arcade worked perfectly already, the special moves of the console versions are just nifty bonuses, they would play pretty much the same without them.

>Oh, looks like I was wrong, and beat the game over 20 times for nothing.
Nigga I've 1cc'd Final Fight over 200 times, MFF just doesn't have enough pedigree to play it that much, it's a nice little game but you will master everything in maybe 2 or 3 runs, I don't think it even had difficulty options.

>> No.3511654
File: 1.11 MB, 1190x1674, tumblr_n9779p9vJt1tzwbf7o2_r1_1280.png.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3510596
>>3511290
I'm guessing you guys never played the AC versions, since the elbow was OP in DD1. It was pretty strong too on the NES, but you had to grind for it and enemies had a tendency to duck it in that version.

>> No.3511658

>>3511443
>>3510097
River City Ransom (and Downtown Special too on that subject) only has up to four characters on-screen like in Double Dragon, but they make up for it by allowing you carry any weapon (up to three on-screen) you pick up from one area to the next, since every character is a head swap of the same sprite.

>> No.3511732

>>3511561
>>3511569

https://www.viki.com/videos/1062829v-renegade-episode-1?locale=es

you're welcome...

there's also an english version

>> No.3512540
File: 291 KB, 748x1041, img_5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone likes Sugoro Quest?

>> No.3515176
File: 54 KB, 379x600, t429210778.1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you 1CC Combatribes on the default settings? I don't think it's even possible to not get hit in that game and the whole "health points" thing instead of having proper lives is retarded.

>> No.3518052
File: 88 KB, 876x904, Godai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bumpan'

>> No.3518083

>>3515176
Default settings give you no extra health right? if so it's near impossible.

>> No.3518086

>>3512540
I want to play the SFC one.

>> No.3519152
File: 1.18 MB, 1280x1800, tumblr_nu5vwv0RXG1tzwbf7o2_1280.png.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3518083
Yep. You have to adjust it on the DIP Switches. Same thing with Double Dragon II arcade, which only gives you two lives to start with and has the time limit set on the second fastest setting (making it almost impossible to clear Mission 3 in one life).

Ironically the US version is slightly easier, even though it throws you adds more enemies during boss battles, that actually works to your advantage, since you can use the giant swing move on mooks to throw them at the boss without directly engaging him.

>>3518086
Wasn't there a patch for Suguroku Quest ++ or was that just for the FC original?

>> No.3521007
File: 181 KB, 551x779, LwvBx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bumpan'

>> No.3521180

What are some Technos style movies?

The Warriors, The Wanderers, Streets of Fire?

Recommend me some movies that feel like RCR or Double Dragon

>> No.3521248

>>3521180
All five Bruce Lee movies: Big Boss Man, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon (the one where he fights Chuck Norris), Game of Death (the one where he fights Kareem Abdul Jabbar) and Enter the Dragon (the one one where he teams up with Black Belt Jones and Joe Don Baker's arch-nemesis)

Don't bother to watch the theatrical version of Game of Death, since it was produced after Bruce Lee's death and mostly consists of pointless filler scenes made with a double that barely has anything to do with the intended plot. Watch this cut instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JhWJnvnSns

>> No.3523063
File: 167 KB, 600x425, oydebut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3521180
>>3521248
For the Japanese delinquent genre, there's way too many examples to list, but one particular one that comes to my attention is Shonan Bakusozoku, which was originally a manga, but was adapted into an OVA and a live-action movie. The live-action movie deserves special attention, as it was directed by Taiki Yamada, a real life friend of the actual Kunio Taki, who even served as the namesake for the final boss in Downtown Nekketus Monogatari.

>> No.3524071

Another recommendation: Bakuretsu Toshi (or Burst City).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS4p4ihS0QE

>> No.3526365

>>3523063
>>3524071
Thanks, I'll check them out.