[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 18 KB, 300x225, Mechworkerbot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3478189 No.3478189 [Reply] [Original]

A MALFUNCTION

>> No.3478273

>>3478189
that's in the bank basement, isn't it? Man I played on expert and cheesed the end with the vault so fucking hard. I don't remember what I did, but I remember it felt more like I was exploiting the game than being a master thief

>> No.3478326
File: 132 KB, 1685x1381, heroninn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A long time ago I made this sketch for a better and more classic-esque version of "Checking Inn, Cashing Out". No millions of doors that you can't open, and a building layout that makes more sense.

>> No.3478529
File: 1.79 MB, 1400x3900, 1453446126818.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

before somebody asks

>> No.3478531
File: 1.29 MB, 1269x1122, 1453446274774.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3478596

I've decided to give T2X a shot as I haven't played any Thief in ages; managed to get it to run but the cutscenes won't play. It's not a problem with the codecs (or at least shouldn't be) because Thief and Thief 2 both run their cutscenes fine. Any idea what to do?

>> No.3478601

>>3478596
Never mind, got it working. Just had to change the darkint.cfg.

>> No.3478612

>>3478531

The description for Rose Cottage should include "no stealth" -because it doesn't have the hiding mechanics of Thief. It's literally a horror game on the Dark Engine, not a horror level in a stealth game.

>> No.3478705

>>3478326
That's a pretty good layout. T3Ed is a bitch to use though.

>> No.3478830

>>3478705
I bet. I'm still amazed that someone was able to fix the levels so they don't have loading zones. I mean damn, some of them even had layouts that didn't originally make sense if you even thought about re-aligning and combining them.

Speaking of T3, I just yesterday went through some of the game's audio files, and found the rope climbing sound effects. *disappointed sigh*

Also, Garrett has briefing speeches for a lot more "missions" than the final game shipped with. The way they're spaced in the story points to a phase in development where the City was not yet made into a hub world. Instead, places like the Old Quarter were actual missions. Garrett escapes his trial and his task is to evade the assassins and meet up with his fence in the district.

>> No.3478992
File: 1.31 MB, 1920x1080, oops.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3478994

REEVE'S BALLS SUTHER IT'S ME

>> No.3479010

>>3478992
>Masamune

>> No.3479023

>>3478994
SECURITY IS NECESSARY TO PREVENT EXPOSURE AND DILUTION OF TALENT. DO YOU WANT TO ARGUE WITH THE LORDS? NOW WHAT'S THE PASSWORD?

>> No.3479028

>>3479023
HAND OF SHADOW, FOOT OF AIR

>> No.3479051

>>3479028

WELL, NOW HE HASN'T GIVEN ME __COCKRINGS__

>> No.3479130

>>3479051
TH'AT'S IT, YOU HAD IT

>> No.3479378 [DELETED] 
File: 158 KB, 555x527, When you finish Return To The Cathedral within 22 seconds.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is unity a good substitue for the dark engine?

Guide for maximum taffering:
Guide for maximum taffing:
http://www.greywool.com/azal/
http://www.lytha.com/thief/index.phtml
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMcKVbbwxbCNun2Lei4Xy38Mdzpm219sa

>> No.3479384
File: 50 KB, 1360x736, OM_T1_Assassins_map_assassins_route.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is unity a good substitute for the dark engine?

>> No.3479392

>>3479384

If well used why not? Just needs too do the simulation aspect as good as the dark engine.

>> No.3479613

>>3478612
>Rose Cottage doesn't have the hiding mechanics of Thief
I don't think that's right. I remember the spooky ghosts having AI that you could hide from like guards (they'll do the "searching" animation and behavior), although it's certainly not the focus of the mission, that's for sure.

>> No.3479623

>>3479384
bloated unoptimised garbage

>> No.3479652

>>3479623
video games have been bloated since windows 95. unity isn't significantly worse in that regard unless the developers fuck up bad

>> No.3479718

>>3479384

As long as you get the lighting to work properly. It'd be a pretty boring Thief game if you couldn't put out lights due to rigid pre-baked lightmaps. The reason why the Doom3 engine was ideal for the Dark Mod is that all of its lighting is fully dynamic, just like in Deadly Shadows. And in F.E.A.R.

As I've understood it, normal lightmaps in Unity make a polygon atlas out of all the surfaces in the static level geometry and then the lighting is rendered onto it. The only way I can see that it works in the original Dark Engine is that each light that you can turn on or off is rendered in a separate map that the engine can layer on top of the rest of the lighting when needed. I'm fairly certain that there's nothing like that in Unity by default.

>> No.3479771
File: 85 KB, 1280x1024, interstate7621.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3479718

Maybe Unreal?

And it wouldnt need crazy amazing graphics, at least today we are already seeing games that instead of focusing on stupid bs effects, try to focus on being pleasing to the eye textures and animations. Thats what important right?
Souls games dont go overboard, they have decent animations, good style and the most difficult good lighting.
I amazed at the simplicity and of the engines capcom makes, Dragon Dogma for example.

I swear I could play all 3D videogames with the level of graphics Half Life or INterstate 76, as long as those 3 things are good or decent, textures animations lighting. I not fucking programmer but I bet if we keep engine simple then we can add the complex game mechanics.

>> No.3479779
File: 2.20 MB, 2500x1775, 1469979849889.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3479771
I also love the way they handled the engine sin System Shock 2. I have yet to try it in newdark, bet it makes the textures even more amazing.

>> No.3479790

>>3479771

Splinter Cell, Deadly Shadows and Dishonored all work on Unreal. Might be a good choice. Just forget about body awareness so you won't have to scrap swimming and rope arrows because of animations, or that you won't have to scrap all control for the same reason and produce Thi4f-part2

>> No.3479813
File: 950 KB, 1920x1080, 1376682860060.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am enjoying this fucking slowish Thief general. Its really comfy.

>> No.3479838
File: 29 KB, 527x340, Farkus_Functionals.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you like the idea of a hub city? I like it more than the shop interface. It gives me the impression I'm living in The City. With a hub city you could also tell a story. The pagans are waging war? Vines pop up all over the place. The mechanists are rising in power again? More surveillance on the streets.

Thief 3 didn't execute it well. Loading screens that kill the pace, small maps that stay the same the whole game.

>> No.3479860

>>3479838
I don't see city hubs ever working in Thief. It'll just be tedious after a while.

>> No.3479923

>>3479771
>Unreal
I don't know why, but for some reason I always thought Deus Ex was on the Dark Engine.

I was really surprised when I found out it was on Unreal.

>> No.3479926

>>3479838
Nah. I think Thief benefits from each level having a clear focus on an objective.

>> No.3479928
File: 61 KB, 1024x768, t1 builder.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3479838
Hubs are meh. Although if you dislike a shopping interface, say a fully realized Garrett hideout, and a street would be cool, you could buy stuff in with a letter in Garrett study or something.

If really well done I dont mind a sandbox, ig there is one City I love to explore would be neoclassical\medieval mishmash insanity of the City

>>3479923
Are you crazy its Unreal to the bone. Maybe you were to young to play Unreal 1?

>> No.3479936

>>3479928
I've played Unreal, but not until long after Deus Ex.

I think it has to general graphics, some mechanics, default keyboard layout, being able to bash down doors, and Ion Storm and LGS having some crossover

>> No.3479958

>>3479838
No, there are very few games I like hubs in. Even calling it a "hub" usually reveals that it's a level that will be annoyingly repeated, as opposed to say an RPG with quests where you naturally return to the same village over and over, but doesn't feel the need to say "okay, PS, this is the hub area."

Also, the last thing I want in Thief is tedious management like having to sell my loot and visit people to get the next mission or whatever. I just want to play well-crafted levels and steal shit, not attempt a dorky Life O' Garrett simulator.

>> No.3480080
File: 504 KB, 1019x1344, 1440996841652.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3480091

How would you taffers feel about a Thief game focusing on the Precursors?
Not like it would happen, but if it did, would you like it?

>> No.3480167

>>3480091

A Thief game set in ancient pseudo magic Sumer?

In fact anything set in ancient mesopotamia or Egypt would be cool, there is real lack of good stuff for it.
Sword and Sorcery is best fantasy.

>> No.3480437
File: 125 KB, 960x540, 1473191071905.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3480618

>>3479838

My main problem with the city hub in T3 is that it makes the City seem small, and restricts the missions to the immediate vicinity. Before the idea of the hub, the pagans were living in the woods and wouldn't go into the manfool City unless forced to. The early concept art for the Pagan Sanctuary shows a village in a murky swamp, not some ruins in the center of the City. But because the hub couldn't have Garrett traveling outside the City, the pagans needed to be relocated into the City, against the lore.

>> No.3480624

System Shock > Thief > Thief II > Deus Ex > System Shock 2 > Ultima Underworld

>> No.3480626

>>3479838
You'll just have to make a demo to see if it works and to convince others.

>> No.3480629

>>3480624
System Shock 1, 2, and UU are different from Deus Ex, which is different from Thief 1 and 2. There's no point in comparing them.

>> No.3480637

>>3480629
Theyre all related to Looking Glass' first person games and developers though.

>> No.3480638

>>3478326
If you can map, try making this into a fan mission for Dark Mod

>> No.3480646

>>3480638
It's still pretty much a linear training mission. Not really interesting enough to turn into a standalone mission for TDM. I just made the sketch to highlight the problems with the mission in TDS.

>> No.3480648

>>3480637
They might all be "immersive sims" but that's a pretty broad term and more of a design ethos than a genre. Deus Ex is an RPG, SS is a dungeon crawler, and Thief is a stealth game.

>> No.3480734

>>3480637
LGS's flight simulators are 1st person games too. You still wouldn't compare them to Thief and System Shock.

>> No.3480746

>>3480734
I always forget about those. They any good?

>> No.3480782

>>3480746
No clue. The only flight sims I play are the Star Wars space combat sims.

>> No.3480815
File: 307 KB, 640x425, 1470958426021.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Would a Thief RPG be any good? I've always thought it would be an interesting idea.
Imagine having the whole city be explorable, with factions and characters that appear in the original games giving you missions.
Would player character development add anything to thief's gameplay? Would an open world be exciting or would it just ruin any narrative pacing?

>> No.3480837
File: 915 KB, 1680x1050, capital of an entire country.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3480815
>Imagine having the whole city be explorable

Fantastic. 7 houses and 3 shops. No thanks. You should never be able to access the whole city. And if you were to have access to specific parts of different districts, you shouldn't be able to travel seamlessly from one place to the other, because then you can't have the undefined distance between them, and it shrinks down the city.

Letting the player have seamless access to the entire City would be as stupid as implying that the first hub of Deus Ex Human Revolution is meant the represent the whole Detroit. No. It's just a tiny part of it, so that you won't turn a major metropolis into a small village Watch_Dogs style.

Deadly Shadows did it badly, but not horribly. It's the one instance where the loading screens are a good thing. You don't know how far away the districts are from one another. You don't get to walk across the Shale Bridge and witness the tiny ditch that the River is due to level design limitations.

>> No.3480839

>>3480815
Character development is pointless. Why break everything down into arbitrary skills and shit when in the original games, you would naturally become better at being a thief as you played the game and got to know your equipment, your enemies, and The City. I think RPG character progression doesn't work well with immersive sims. LGS was right to abandon it with System Shock, and I can only imagine the idea to reintroduce it in SS2 come from Irrational. Ultima Underworld would have been better off without it.

Open world would suck. Each Thief level has a memorable theme. There's wouldn't be much thrill in raiding random houses that probably aren't even guarded and probably don't have much to distinguish them. Another thing is that Thief 1 and 2 wiped your cash once you start a new level. This prevents players from hoarding, because if their cash is going to be erased after they visit the shop, they might as well make use of it. An open world could allow players to amass enough gold that resource management no longer matters and enable hoarding.

If adding in a single level (Thieves' Guild) between Assassins and The Sword screwed up TDP's pacing, you can be sure an open world would.

Having the whole City explorable would leave no mysteries.

I also wouldn't care for the ability to converse with characters. Thief felt as lonely as System Shock because, even though everyone's alive in Thief, you can't talk to them because they'd attack you or run away. I thought that was cool.

>> No.3480853

>>3480091
I would be completely fine with this. I seem to be the only one that doesn't really care at all about the existing factions and the Thief city. I'm a lot more interesting in creative new ideas--new types of artifacts, magic, creatures, etc. to sneak around. Making things more mystical is also a good cover for Thief's stealth mechanics. The fact that the Keepers and Garret's stealth powers are partially supernatural helps cover the "wow, that guard is blind" moments.

>> No.3480868

>>3480091

I'd retcon the quakes that destroyed Karath-Din and make it into a conspiracy. You'd play as an industrial regulations official under the command of the fair Emperor Va-Taraq, and you'd be investigating the development of new agricultural technologies, namely a certain chemical and atmospheric devices and their connection to one another.

The emperor dies, presumably of natural causes, and his incompetent son Va-Toran comes to power. Your department is not happy about the way the heir runs the nation, and suspicions of corruption begin to surface. Your clues become dead ends as important people begin to disappear. Eventually spooks clad in hooded cloaks come after you too. This only gives your investigation the push of extra motivation it needs.

Your revelation comes too late. The lack of regulation in the agricultural alchemy industry has ended up approving the simultaneous application of the Necrotic Mutox weed killer, and the Carbodioxidic Cultivator. When combined, the chemical becomes a self-replicating oxidant that consumes everything biological in its path.

Your final sacrifice takes you to the national terramancers' geothermal power distribution complex, where you must trigger a seismic chain reaction to bury the doomed city in order to save the rest of the world from a rusty demise.

>> No.3481372

>>3479838
Since I spent hours in the hubs of Thief Deadly Shadows - even though they were small - I'd say yes. The problem is that you'd kind of need an access to each mission like in T3 too, I think, otherwise with the right AI, some fluff material and slight changes in the hub you could have a great addition to a Thief campaign that way.

Imagine Life of the Party style traversing the streets and rooftops before you get to your target. It'd be a whole new facet to the game.

>> No.3481448

>>3481372

I don't like that idea. As I said previously, a hub where you travel to your mission locations restricts the locations in which those missions can take place. I have an alternate idea...

Garrett has safes houses in the major districts. When you are ready to take a main mission, you go to a safe house. Then your next mission takes place where ever. Imagine... I don't know... maybe a mission like LoTP where you traverse the streets and rooftops. But it's not in the hub, it's somewhere else. Who wants to walk down the same paths anyway?

This way you can have districts open for exploration, and by leaving it uncertain where the limits of those districts are, you would keep the scale of the City a mystery, and it would actually feel like a giant metropolis. Also you would not be restricting the missions to those districts. You could have one mission take place in Dayport, and another taking place all the way in Blackbrook or the Esse mountains. You wouldn't be walking the streets to get where you're going. It would be explained in the briefing if it's relevant.

>> No.3481503

Goddamn I didn't remember how fantastic "A Question of Knowledge" is. Sprawling, asymmetrical, atmospheric and gorgeous. The outdoor areas actually feel cold, and the indoor ones feel warm.

>> No.3481535

>>3481448
You do realize that you don't visit all the districts in Thief 3 either?

The idea with the safehouse sounds like pointless busy work though. There is no connection to the next mission other than having to walk around and buy stuff before going back home and magically appearing in the next level. No, either you have it so that you have certain sectors of the City that you traverse depending on the plot, connected to the missions, or you have a complete hub system. Don't get me wrong, I think you're on to something, but unless the exploration/filer area has some connection narrative-wise (like characters talking fluff about The Hag) it seems like bitchwork that need not be in the game. Then I'd rather have the linear design. There really is no space between that I think

>> No.3481594

>>3481535
Yes, a compromise is difficult to achieve, and even then it would be just that. A compromise. A good design compromised by something it doesn't need. A linear structure of non-linear missions is better than a restrictive but useful hub, or a non-restrictive but pointless hub.

>> No.3481659

>>3481594
It worked for Thief 3 pretty well actually. I think they came up with great ways to introduce cool areas that are "just around the corner" but you wouldnt necessarily expect them to become missions. For example the arrival of the Abyssmal Gale, the Sunken Citadel, the Clocktower...

You needn't have a hub system extensive as in Thief 1, or as repetitive, but if you have a hub system have a narrative tie to it. Like actually being able to enter the sewer access to the Mage Tower when traveling toward it for example. I think it could be done.

Also the level structures in Thief are not nearly as non-linear as people think. They are actually pretty linear, but the routes presented give it the illusion of the world being bigger than it is, and there being more choices than there are. In the end, no matter which way you take, you'll get the sword and leave the mansion, e.g. A game like Skyrim doesn't necessitate that result.

>> No.3481715

>>3479718
There are mobile lights. Fire elementals are the most obvious example. Dark Engine might be using the static layered thing for most light, though.

>> No.3481726

>>3481715

Moving dynamic lights in the Dark Engine do not cast shadows.

>> No.3482069
File: 18 KB, 305x361, 1473012652545.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I get really spooked on the mine mission.

Its hard to play without losing it.

>> No.3482087

How can I tell what will [trigger] the Hammerites in Undercover?

>> No.3482101

>>3482087
Don't enter rooms that have a red upside down hammer next to the door on the wall. They can be kind of hard to notice.

>> No.3482104

>>3482101
Not just that; half the time they run around after seeing something stolen, and I have no clue when I can show my face to them again

>> No.3482109

>>3482101

I loved that level, ruined playing hitman for the first time, the fact I was undercover was mind blowing.

I would say the only mission I liked in Dishonored was the party because of this, creates a nice tension, like you shouldnt go some places, but then you do:

Forbidden places in that particular mission were not very interesting but the feel was there.

>> No.3482115

>>3482109
>>3482104
It's also one of, if not the best looking place in Dishonored.

As for guards reacting to stolen goods, I don't remember how I did it. But I do remember once stealing something completely out of sight, and then there was a delay like a minute or so until everyone came after me. Only happened once.

>> No.3482128

>>3482115
Amazing Thief does it better than a modern game.

And it was a nice perfect change of pacing from the entire game. Its one of the reasons I prefer thief 1 to 2.

>> No.3482316
File: 25 KB, 392x500, Thief_The_Dark_Project_boxcover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No matter how hard I try I can't into this game.

>> No.3482320
File: 173 KB, 638x479, Garrett.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3482316
You should play it when the time is right, never force yourself to play something because you heard it's popular. It'll only leave a negative impact which might be due to the circumstances.

It would help if you explained why though. Perhaps you'd like the structure of the second game more.

>> No.3482329

>>3482320
I always seem to get caught in scenarios where I think I'm taking advantage of the game's system. If I use a bow to create sound a guard will start walking towards me and behind me there will be light. Maybe it's just a case of 'git gud' but I've been on the same level for an hour and a half now and I always get caught.

>> No.3482341

>>3482316
Okay

>> No.3482347

>>3482329

I can ghost a level right now with probably no saving at all with no trouble. You get good at a game like Thief, its not an easy game but there is a right way to be stealthy.

>> No.3482356

>>3482347
I'll keep trying then. It'll take time but I'll get used to it.

>> No.3482383
File: 227 KB, 1280x720, assassin2c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3482356
Turn on that EAX surround sound setting, listen carefully for guards, take note of patrols, slowly crouch on metal and tile without creating footsteps, crouch before going off a ledge, jumping and running in silent floor.

Always stop to listen, always listen behind a door, never take the obvious route, only resort to arrows when no other option is available especially sound, water is fine if the guard is not watching. If you are a beginner blackjack people around.

Note to what side a guard usaully turns when patrolling when you get really good, you can even shadow him and go to his blindside when he turns away.
When you are patient and learn the patterns you really do feel you are becoming a master thief by the end.

>> No.3482392

>>3482329
You can easily spend an hour on a level if you're playing on expert and actually try to stay hidden and loot everything. If by taking advantage of the game's system you mean using glitches/exploits, and you need these to succeed I think you fucked up majorly. And should probably restart the level.

Perhaps you didn't loot enough on the level before to earn the tools you 'need', doubtful this would make a difference. But this to me sound more like you just don't enjoy the gameplay enough to take your time to actually enjoy the maps. For example if you knew the structure of both Thief 1 and 2, and you were rushing through the levels of 1 just to get to the second game, you're just going through the motions.

Also this, especially regarding the sound part:
>>3482383

You might need to install OpenAL though, it's a fast and small download. Then set hardware acceleration to OpenAL and turn EAX on.

>> No.3482413

>>3482383
Also quick question is it wrong if I savescum the game? Not saving every 5 seconds but where I'm in a far and comfortable position in the level

>> No.3482427

>>3482413
another quick question is it wrong to constantly blackmail guards?

>> No.3482432

>>3482413
>>3482427

As a beginner? Sure savescum a lot, as I said its not an easy game. And yeah blackjack a lot as well in your first try.

Think of it, as if you were playing as the spy in Commandos.

>> No.3482436

>>3482427
>Blackmail
But no, it isn't wrong to blackjack guards, it's an intended game mechanic. If you'd have to restrain yourself it would be bad game design.

You won't need it though once you get better and it'll be faster not to.

>> No.3482462

>>3482383
>never take the obvious route
I keep forgetting how non-linear Thief is.

>> No.3482467
File: 593 KB, 906x759, 1472242920686.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3482462

>I forget all the time as well.

>> No.3482478
File: 33 KB, 480x454, 1450575171516.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>getting to the cathedral area in level 2
God damn this game is eerily and mysteriously atmospheric

>> No.3482479

>>3482467
Uhh... that looks like a blueprint to the White house.

>> No.3482480
File: 40 KB, 800x600, thief-the-dark-project-windows-screenshot-cragsleft-prisons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3482478
You now ear the hammers striking in the distance.

"Before death came, the liars were made to feast upon the hands of the thieves, and the thieves were made to ingest the tongues of their liar brothers, and we praised the Master Builder for his judgements." -The Hammer Book of Tenets

>> No.3482493

>>3479838
I prefer just focusing on missions.

>> No.3482494
File: 2.27 MB, 1920x1080, dump001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3482480
>"All is quiet now."
*prisoner constantly whimpering in gibberish in background*

>> No.3482495

>>3480648
I hate the word "immersive sim". It sounds like such a marketing term like MULTIPLATER ONLINE BATTLE ARENA

>> No.3482496

>>3482494
The pacing in that mission is just perfect, genius.

>> No.3482501
File: 93 KB, 467x496, 1459995037650.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>can't see anything when playing thief
>turn brightness to max

>> No.3482502
File: 89 KB, 1680x1050, 2014-10-18_00001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If somehow Underrail was made into a fps rpg it would be amazing, there is a lot of System Shock 2 in it.

>>3482501
You are really not supposed to see very much in THief.
Shadows were pretty cool in crt monitors, thats why I bump brightness all the way down, with just a little to discern a wall in total blackness.

>> No.3482505

>>3482496
Wait a second.. when I release the prisoners they try to escape and get killed.

>> No.3482507

>>3482505
I think so yeah, I never release them, just find Cutty cell and the other guy.

>> No.3482510

>>3482507
Don't they jet as well?

>> No.3482512

>>3482510
spoiler alert

>> No.3482518

>>3482512
[So what do I do if they're all dead? The story won't progress. It was different last time, they wouldn't run.

>> No.3482521

>>3482518
Get to Cutty cell without getting seen and you will see what happens anon.

>> No.3482530

>>3482495
It is kind of a marketing term but it does let you know a little bit about what the devs want to do with the game.

>> No.3482589

>>3482478
Bafford was already a very atmospheric mission; a game that manages to establish a lingering sense of dread in a populated area is very, very rare, but Cragscleft and its crushing atmosphere really made me fall in love with this game. Definitely the best atmosphere in any game I've played, by far.

>>3482087
Don't steal their shit until you get the talisman. They react to stolen items, most notably the wine in the dining room and the gold vases in the cemetery and catacombs.

>> No.3482592

>>3482589

Its a perfect ascent from the silent, crazy confusing haunted mines and fucking spider, to the roar of the factory watching all those Hammerites work, to the despair of the cells and finally the mysterious humming of prayers from the barracks on the top.

>> No.3482607
File: 92 KB, 1920x1080, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I would give my left nut to explore the City I envision in my imagination whenver I see Thief cutscenes, there is something magical, black and monstrous, labyrinthic and Byzantine about it.

>> No.3482651

>>3481726
NewDark does have dynamic shadows.

>> No.3482665

>>3482651
I think there might be a way to turn them on but they're not on by default. And all it is is circle shadows and not really good shadows cast by characters or objects based on the lighting.

Though I did find this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbZZ95hAKX8

The thing is, even if you put this in I'm not sure if it's possible to use the dynamic shadows for stealth. And it might cause issues as the game wasn't designed around having dynamic shadows.

The shadows in that video look incredibly blocky too and I think I'd rather have no dynamic shadows than those poor looking shadows. Maybe there's a way to raise their resolution. It could be cool to have though as long as it actually works with all missions and fan missions.

>> No.3482674

>>3482665
Holy shit how do I turn it on?

>> No.3482679

>>3482674
No idea. I just searched Thief dynamic shadows and that video was linked in a TTLG thread. I saw some images before too with somewhat dynamic shadows but they were only circle shadows like you'd see in SM64 and similar games. The stuff in that video is a lot more sophisticated though.

I don't know who the person is that runs that Youtube channel but I doubt he has anything to do with NewDark so it must be a setting somewhere.

>> No.3482680

>>3482679
How the hell did the engine have so much space for improvement?

>> No.3482710

>>3482680
It is pretty impressive. I mean compare it to Source. Valve's been updating the engine since day 1 and I don't think it's gotten as much of an upgrade as some stuff New Dark did for the Dark Engine. Especially this decent looking dynamic shadow system too.

>> No.3482727
File: 40 KB, 490x371, thief.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3482710
Its mind opening, lgs had some fucking geniuses there.

Shit why did they went under. Maybe it was for the best.

>> No.3482736 [SPOILER] 
File: 1.31 MB, 1920x1080, 1473314632296.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3482727

>> No.3482784

There's a few more videos of this guy's dynamic shadows thing. This one is especially cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5cKqYeizec

He doesn't say how to do it though. But in the description he says it's a "fan made update for the Dark Engine" so it might be his own thing he made. I looked through the files in New Dark and couldn't find anything about dynamic shadows.

>> No.3482787

>>3482784
Wait he does answer on one of his videos.

>It was a video from side build of newdark. Just for testing. For some reason they decided not to implement it in release.

Would still be nice to be able to play around with it though.

>> No.3482812

>>3482787
Are there any files?

>> No.3482875
File: 116 KB, 972x972, riplgs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just found this while playing Thief2X

:(

>> No.3483050
File: 65 KB, 500x810, ;_;7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3482875
why are you doing this to me

>> No.3483161

>>3483050
Don't lose your hope young padawan.
https://www.underworldascendant.com/

>> No.3483182
File: 411 KB, 1050x1589, kingofthenight_by_plutonia.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3483161
>Underworld 3
>System Shock 3

What's next? Thief IV: King of the Night?

>> No.3483185

...also, my Thief2X ghost-through needs to go on hold because NVidia fucked up their GeForce Experience update and basically broke all its features. So no Shadowplay until they get their shit together. Even the password reset email servers don't work.

>> No.3483234
File: 1.05 MB, 1500x1205, beeldenstorm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3483182
Enlightenment sounds like a better title. I do wonder how the Dark Age would look. "Dreaded uncertainty" they say. More religious conflicts? Same old Yin Yang yo-yoing?

>> No.3483305

>>3483234

I came up with the subtitle based on how keepers are no more and Garrett is now actually just a thief. Garrett didn't "become the chosen one" when TDS ended. He had been his whole career, but it was unknown to everyone because of Gamall's sabotage. His job as a keeper was to end the keepers. His job after that is burglary.

It would be an interesting reversal if this time Garrett would attempt to restore some kind of balance out of a misplaced sense of duty. Previously he was a keeper who thought he was a thief. Now he could be a thief who thinks that he's still a keeper, and his actions could bring the world closer to ruin than to save it from ruin, and whoever or whatever it is that needs to save it is someone or something else. Perhaps something that depends on the inexistence of the keepers, and has waited for the order to disband. And their downfall would be their reliance on the absence of prophecy, and the failure to take the uncertainty of an unwritten future into account. The wrong man in the right place could end up creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of his own.

And it's not "the dark age" It's the unwritten times.

>> No.3483308

>>3483305
>...is someone or something else. Perhaps something that...

Damn. Taffed that thing up. I meant that the enemy that would endanger the world would be something that relies on there being no prophecies.

>> No.3483356

>>3482502
I'll try that in the 3rd level.

>> No.3483429

>>3483305
The Thief DS campaign The Cabal had an interesting premise where Keepers found themselves hunted and executed by the populace after they were revealed by the Final Glyph.

>> No.3483604

>>3483305
The unwritten times feels like athat Dune book theory.

We cant follow Garrett and the City into the unwritten times because with the balance shattered the whole game world ceases to exist.
Personally I like to think Garrett reformed the Keepers. What happens next I dont know.

>> No.3483662

>>3483161
The gameplay videos and screenshots don't look very good desu. Hopefully they'll come up with interesting dungeons to make up for it. And honestly it looks like every other Unity game out there. Are there some default shader settings in Unity that you can't change or somerthing?

>> No.3483673

>>3483662
You are at /vr/ and care about graphics? I pity da fool.

>> No.3483696

>>3483673
Don't really care, just curious. Obviously still going to play it tho.

>> No.3483753

>>3483604
>with the balance shattered the whole game world ceases to exist.

I don't think you understand. The keepers didn't either. They thought that they should pull the strings from the shadows in order to preserve the balance, but in fact because of Gamall, the balance could never exist as long as the keepers do. The existence of the glyphs, an extremely powerful magical force, is the one thing that keeps the world out of balance. The keepers discovered the glyphs and the balance, and formed their order to use that power to keep the balance. It is pretty ironic.

Garrett and the Final Glyph were the failsafe written into the prophecies, to restore balance when things spin out of control. The result is a world in balance, where a single entity can never be simultaneously capable of destroying it all, or responsible for keeping that from happening. In other words, the keepers were a mistake from the beginning. The only true balance comes from their inexistence. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's that inevitability that spawned the Final Glyph and its master.

That isn't to say that they couldn't still do some good for the world. They'd just have to do it without supernatural means.

>> No.3483761

>>3483753
I understood what you mean. I meant breaking the fourth wall.

>> No.3483764

>>3483761

Ah. Well, not into Dune, so I didn't get the 4th wall reference.

>> No.3483767

>>3483305
I'd say type out the story and make some fm's

>> No.3483769

>>3483764

Its similar to the last book I think, not the first Dune everybody knows.

The Keepers knew the future, they were the authors and devs, when you end them the characters inside the game go out of our reach. Garrett freed everybody.

>> No.3484435

This game just keeps getting better.

>> No.3484441
File: 1.12 MB, 1080x620, 1419651768962.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Something has been bothering me lately in Thief and I only realised it now since 1998.

Guards steps sounds always sound triple, I mean, tump t..tump, tump t..tump.
only Garret sounds normal while walking or running. Do yuo guys know what I am saying or am I going insane?

>> No.3484451
File: 940 KB, 410x307, mho1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3484545
File: 211 KB, 742x540, 1471566301256.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw Return to the Cathedral

>> No.3484580

>>3484435
Which part?

>> No.3484614

>>3484580
I just finished the 3rd level and it's like every level gets better.

>> No.3484636

>>3484614

The Sword is going to break you.

>> No.3484787

>>3484441
I think one of the devs, could have been Tim Stellmach, once talked about that. For some reason the other foot of the guards always produces two footstep sounds.

>> No.3484792
File: 158 KB, 555x527, When you finish Return To The Cathedral within 22 seconds.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3484545
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLKXUt3NHds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfBEzbk5EgA

>> No.3484798

>>3484792

There's an even better way to do RtTC. You could stack some bones to get on top of the wall, and then get in from the back. No need to waste those precious talismans.

>> No.3484808
File: 152 KB, 1366x768, 20160906141549_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3484545
Do you have the template of this image?

>> No.3484820

>>3484798
http://www.lytha.com/thief/wt/rtc.phtml

>> No.3484874

>>3484441
>>3484441
Sauce on that webm?

>> No.3484981

>>3484820

I was wondering where I originally got that idea from. I do recall her talking about selling the talismans to the mages, as little sense as that makes considering that the elemental wards can basically keep even gods out of the cathedral. The designers just didn't bother to lock the back door with the wards too. Makes you wonder why the starting area counts as outside, even though you are never supposed to be able to escape that way. Someone put that trigger there on purpose. And in the original Dark Project you could simply walk out the front door using a skull to block it from closing.

>> No.3485123

>>3484441
It always seemed unrealistic to me that guards can easily differentiate Garrett's steps from their comrades' steps. In my dream stealth game I would make it possible not to arouse suspicion by walking loudly where another guard's patrol route lies.

>> No.3485146

>>3484441
When guards take a step their heel hits the floor first and then the rest of their foot, creating two distinct sounds.
Meanwhile Garrett sneakily tip-toes, which makes only one sound per step.

>> No.3485171

>>3478189
PLEASE BE WARNED

>> No.3485174

>>3485146
Only the guards' other foot produces two sound effects. They can't be tiptoeing on just one foot. And Garrett wouldn't tiptoe on wooden planks because distributing your weight on a smaller area increases creaking.

>> No.3485353

Am I the only one who hates "...Of ill Repute" -of T2X? So many patrols and so many master-level locked doors. And instead of water arrows, all you get is more and more useless locust nades.

>> No.3485367

>>3485171
FOR KARRAS, AND THE BUUUUILDEEER

>> No.3485452

>>3485367
CEASE THY CROAKING AND HOP INTO VIEW... VILE TOAD!

>> No.3485472

>>3485452
PLEEEEEASE BEEE WAAARNED, A MISGUIDED SOOOUL, AAAAAAALL SHOULD HEEEAR THE WOOORDS OF KARRAS, THE WOOORDS OF KARRAS.

>> No.3485535

>>3485472
I DETEST THE TONGUE AND ABHOR THE LIPS, FOR LIPS AND TONGUE CAN TWIST TRUTH INTO LLIEEES... I AM A CHILD OF KARRAS AND NO LIPS NOR TONGUE HAVE I.

>> No.3485686

>>3485123
My dream stealth game is one that exists in the current video game climate.

>> No.3485710
File: 15 KB, 640x360, thief-0384.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3484874
Royal Space Force

Great film.

>> No.3485718
File: 80 KB, 664x452, They_will_punish_you_____by_Cerviero.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3485721

Hey, my DVD drive broke some time ago but I still have Deadly Shadows installed. It needs the DVD to start but I have TDS:Gold installed so I can't use a standard crack. Is there a site where I can get the mini-image to mount? I could rip the image myself but I don't have a DVD drive.

>> No.3486020
File: 241 KB, 1280x904, bosch3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is the Dark Engine capable of SOS (sector over sector)? Can two rooms occupy the same xyz space?

>> No.3486035

>>3486020

Not the same XYZ space. That's some 4d Build Engine shit. The Dark Engine is full 3d. You can have rooms over rooms, but not 720° circles like in Duke Nukem 3d. The only reason why that engine can do freaky things like that is that it's not real 3d. You can have rooms over rooms in Dn3d, but you can't view them at the same time.

>> No.3486037

>>3486020
Dark Engine doesn't use sectors, yo. It's a fully 3D engine and levels are built by drawing solid 3D shapes (e.g. cubes, pyramids, etc.) to form rooms and objects. It's like Quake.

>> No.3486040

>>3485353
No, I thought that was a great mission. I like unpickable doors (it gives you a reason to actually care about keys), and that mission has a great layout, multiple ways into the building, and fun readables.

Are you a ghoster? I like lots of patrols because I don't ghost and want a challenge even if I'm knocking guards out. I prefer that missions have at least a few tough areas with overlapping patrols and noisy floors.

>> No.3486082
File: 143 KB, 500x860, karras.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3486040

Yeah I'm the taffer who started the previous thread and I'm doing an Ironman Ghost let's play of Thief Gold, Thief 2, Thief2X and TDS. I've been ghosting since '05 or '06 or something. I just finished Volari's brothel and it wasn't really all that bad. For some reason it just doesn't sit right with me. The Hammerite cathedral mission of T2X is probably my favorite FM mission of all time. I can't think of anything that's wrong with it.

Here's my TDP ghost run https://youtu.be/FLICW04REQY?list=PLmqYHnLFUbaKJXcbqGHL8Uni_ufiJy-sP
I've also got playlists for T2 and T2X set up. I'm currently playing Grand Hotel but decided against recording drunk.

Oh, and I'm also the pic related pixel art taffer

>> No.3486194
File: 2.57 MB, 512x512, mechanist_stained_glass_window_by_plutonia_v41-d577z38.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://nothings.org/gamedev/thief_rendering.html

>> No.3486219

BUILDER FUEL US

>> No.3486241
File: 839 KB, 1920x1080, Thief2_ND 2016-09-10 01-35-18-421.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Playing with some great headphones and with high volume
>click on this mechanical head expecting to pick it up

God damn it.

>> No.3486497

>>3479928
I remember screencapping that right after beating Thief and setting it as my background image right after I closed out the game.

>> No.3486517
File: 34 KB, 305x271, temp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3482383
>leaning into a door and eavesdropping
i wish more games/FMs would do shit like that... i just want to sneak around man. spying on people is the ultimate form of that.

>> No.3486702

>>3486497
Are you me?

>> No.3486794

>>3486702
You and me both, brother.

>> No.3486872
File: 15 KB, 640x360, t2ma0446.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3486219
BUILDER, FATHER, FORGER, FUEL US NOW

>> No.3486891
File: 195 KB, 800x358, t2-cdart1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3486194
That is a pretty cool article.
Thanks

>> No.3487275
File: 225 KB, 1920x1080, 20160910094724_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

im so fucking mad holy shit I was doing the mission "assassins" and it bugged, literally impossible to complete god knows why, I went back all the way to the beginning of the mission

every objective is cleared, except the last one of course (pic related)

seriously is this normal? I triggered the alarms maybe it's that?

>> No.3487293

>>3487275
Your neighborhood is not the beginning of the mission.

>> No.3487301

>>3487275
You came to wrong neighbourhood boi.

>> No.3487318
File: 139 KB, 1366x768, 20160910082254_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, I've finished Thief 2 and am glad to have got through Soulforge. Maw of Chaos was a lot more interesting as a last mission and didn't have a bunch of running around.

>> No.3487323

>>3487318
Yeah, I didn't like Sabotage at Soulforge. Maw of Chaos was extremely linear but I still liked it more.

>> No.3487325

>>3487323
I don't find sneaking around machines compelling or interesting, so stealth sort of went out the window. Karras' voice was irritating after about an hour as well.

>> No.3487330

>>3487293
>>3487301
ok I'm dumb, usually the mission is over when you go back to the start and I thought that was the neighborhood for some reason

>> No.3487428

>>3487325
Me neither same goes for super natural stuff in thief 1. Full humans missions are the best.

>> No.3487443

AND I'M TELLING YOU THAT THE ONLY STENCH HEARTHIER THAN YOUR ROTTING BURRICK OF A MASTER, IS THE LIQUOR ON HIS FETID BREATH! IF HE COMES NEAR LADY VAN VERNON AGAIN, WE'LL BOIL HIS KNICKERS.

>> No.3487471

>>3487443

HO HOO! MIGHTY FINE WORDS COMING FROM A KNOCK-KNEED, INBRED PAGE-BOY SUCH AS YOURSELF. OUR MASTER WILLEY WOULD NOT BE CAUGHT NEAR THAT FRUMPY... LITTLE TROLLOP; UNLESS HE WAS HOLDING HER BACK AT THE END OF A HALBERD!

>> No.3487497

>>3487471
HOW DARE YOU DEFILE THE NAME OF SOMEONE SO GOOD AND VIRTUOUS AS THE LADY VAN VERNON? OUR LADY IS A SAINT AMONG MORTAL WOMEN, AND ANGEL SO PURE THE HEAVENS COULDN'T HOLD HER!

>> No.3487503

>>3484441
you could always imagine it being the different parts of their boot touching the ground. Like the first sound is the toes and the second their hell.

>> No.3487519

>>3487318
>>3487323
>>3487325

Maw of Chaos has a difficulty rating of 0 where Soulforge is definitely at least an 8.

Come on people, I love Thief 1 but the last mission sucked. I didn't even have problems with it as a kid. Soulforge at least challenged you to take better care of your resources and sneak past some of the most punishing and elaborate surveillance systems in Thief.

I remember frantically getting materials to build mines, looking for the easiest towers to switch the signal to B. That level took ages and hurt like a motherfucker.

Maw of Chaos was a 10 minute sneakthrough/runpast with a short satisfying ending sequence, and a total break from the structure of the other missions in a pretty bad way. On my first playthrough, I played return to the cathedral for 8 hours just going by the savetime, and the other missions were at least 2-4 hours calculated in savetime. Maw of Chaos took like half an hour to beat. If it were not for the ending ritual and stealing the Eye from a God, that mission would have been a total let-down.

>> No.3487547

>>3487497
BWAHHAHHA! YOUR LADY... AN ANGEL? YOU'RE LUCKY THE DOCKSIDE WHOREKEEPS AREN'T BASHING DOWN HER DOOR FOR STEALING THEIR CLIENTEL. WHY JUST LAST NIGHT, I SAW HER OUT BACK, WARMING UP THE STABLE BOY!

>> No.3487548

>>3487519

Soulforge is an absolute breeze to ghost. It's actually much harder to go around disabling bots and blowing up security systems because it makes noise, leaves a mess and depletes your resources.

>> No.3487558

>>3487547
SUCH SLANDER SHALL NOT BE TOLERATED WHILE WE'RE ON WATCH! YOU'D BEST RUN AND RESCUE YOU HELPLESS LIMP LORD BEFORE HE FOUNDERS ON HIS OWN VOMIT OR WAKES UP NAKED IN A HEN COOP! SCURRY OFF, OR YOU'LL REQUIRE SOME UNNECESSARY VENTILATION!

>> No.3487561

>>3487548
Judging a mission by whether a jaded veteran who knows all the ins-and-outs of the game is a terrible idea though.

Most first time and experienced players will go into that mission building missions, using items and taking out mechs. Elsewise having items at all is pointless.

This is anecdotal, but my own experience was like that. The tower that is guarded by 6 mechs in 3 rows over 2 halls with the double gate was like Fort Knox to me, because I didnt know there were switches, nor would I have known where to find them. I jumped over the fence and fought my way out by luring the mechs through the gates.

Unless you know what ghosting is, put that restriction on your gameplay experience, Soulforge is a difficult, long, and satisfying mission. To say that ghosting it is easy is like saying Castlevania is easy if you know how to speedrun it. Of course, because you've memorised everything.

>> No.3487562

>>3487561
Yes. I realize that. The first times I played the mission it was really hard for me too, but I tried to keep things on the down-low. I used my water arrows to only take out bots that I couldn't sneak by, and didn't blow shit up and attract attention. Still it took me a long time to finish on expert. I still haven't gotten through the turret maintenance hall, mostly because I haven't even tried after realizing that you only need to activate 7 towers and that one you can skip. Also...

>>3487558
IS THAT A THREAT, YOU SHRIVELED OLD MAID? YOU GONNA PRICK US WITH YOUR SEWING NEEDLES? ON THIS SIDE OF THE STREET WE SHOOT LIKE SOLDIERS! SO DON'T MAKE PROMISES YOUR ARROWS CAN'T KEEP!

>> No.3487568

>>3487562
YOU'VE GONE... YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME YOU CAMEL-MANNERED TUNIC-WEARING MOLLYCODDLE! AN ARROW TO THE THROAT OUGHT TO SHUT YOU UP!

>> No.3487570

>>3483305
Sounds like a terrible idea for a potential follow-up to T:DS.

His destruction of the glyphs, his emotional distance to the City, power, and ultimately the Keepers are pretty defining to his character. He is a character of neutral self-interest. He is a thief, and he will steal to get by, but when the chips are down, he wants to live. He could have made a pact with any of the big factions just for personal pain, but he didn't. He usually steals from rich places, and uses that money to get by or prevent the world from ending. He is not a character of inaction, like the Keepers, but one of action. He doesn't gauge the net of powerplayers, but simply wishes the City to continue existing without being bound to a faction. He is a neutral element in the City, that indirectly fights corruption by stealing from the rich and keeping the political balance of the City by thinking only of one standard: continued existance. He doesn't weigh whether this action will piss off one faction, or how he might reveal himself, and doesn't let factions weaken each other just so that the Keeper faction is strengthened in the end.

Having him become a faux-Keeper out of a misplaced sense of duty would be a cynical, destructive move narrative wise. It would ruin the ending epiphany of Garrett in the last game. He is the one true Keeper. Why? Because he didn't try to be a Keeper, but because he acted. He took out Glyphs alongside Keeper corruption.

>> No.3487578

>>3487568
This voice acting was brilliant, he borderline sounded like a chicken when shouting this

>> No.3487581

>>3487568

WAAA HAVE AT THEE!!

>>3487570
I agree. The "misplaced sense of duty" was just my compromise between the idea of the apathetic Garrett and the one that the majority (of at least TTLG) supports, which is a Garrett who finally warmed up a bit to the idea that he's important. But yeah, the lack of keepers and prophecies would probably just solidify the idea to his mind that now he might finally be left alone. Another part of my idea from a long time ago is that Garrett wants to be different from his old masters. When he stops the pickpocketing in the end of TDS, he just gets a dejavu and humorously repeats part of what Artemus said to him all those years ago. "It's not easy to see a keeper, especially one who does not wish to be seen." (gives the kid a few coins) -"Trust me kid. Becoming a thief is more trouble than it's worth" (his mechanical eye whirrs and he turns around, disappearing in the alley)

..."Heh. Now to get on with funding my retirement. If my future competition manages that trick in that age, I'd better hurry up."

>> No.3487582
File: 12 KB, 269x478, DromEd_Object_Model_PaganM01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shhh! Shhhhh! Something quiets by!

>> No.3487584

>>3487582
Just the wind. Blow on airies!

>> No.3487590

>>3487584
Man or beast?

>> No.3487630

>tries to ironman ghost Grand Hotel
>fails at about 40-50min mark
>4 times and counting

Taff this I'm getting wasted

>> No.3487650

I will never not be mad about the lack of Thief, the modern take on it missed the mark so far it angers me.

Turning Garrett into some edgy tryhard who lets himself get pushed around by his supposed apprentice.

Garrett is selfish, greedy but above all a professional. He doesn't kill, killing means leaving evidence.

>> No.3487652
File: 860 KB, 250x200, PERISH LIKE A DOG.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3487630

>> No.3487852

>>3487581
Garrett doesn't need or want to be different from his old masters. That is pretty much the entire premise of Thief the Dark Project, since he outright states that he was going to use the Keeper training to other ends than the intended one.

Seriously, the ending that Ion Storm gave us to the Thief Trilogy was perfect and needs no addition, except for maybe a follow up where you play the girl. But it would have to be a good, original addition to that game, it would have to be what System Shock 2 is to System Shock, or Terminator 2 to Terminator.

>> No.3487879

>>3487852
>you play the girl

Never, Thief was Garrett and the City.

>> No.3487932

>>3487879
Being so attached to characters and settings is stupid. There's no reason a Thief game couldn't be great with a completely different area and protagonist. In fact one of the reasons the girl idea is lame is because it's yet again tying everything to Garrett like he's the only person in this universe.

>> No.3487961

>>3487932
Okay a different character then, with no ties to Garrett. Like the protag we are getting on the black parade.

>> No.3487962

>>3487932
>>3487961
Could even get something outside the City. Is there any canon lore about other areas of the world? I know in T2X there's something about a trading vessel from another part of the world.

>> No.3488284

>>3487962
I dont think so. Mages are from another unknown country, and the city Baron is fighting some foreign war.

>> No.3488316

>>3487962
There are at least three other city states; Bohn, Blackbrook and Cyric. Bohn is at war with Cyric and The City is at war with Blackbrook. We know that Bohn has lots of antiquities, that Cyric has rare enamel work and that Blackbrook has an extensive underguild network with an 'ambassador' named Dorcas Goodfellow. We don't know much more than that about these cities.
There's also a mountain range called the Esse Range and a region called Illyria. That's pretty much it.

>> No.3488319

>>3488316
Oh I forgot about Lesser Hrabota which is another region. It's a play on Jennifer Hrabota-Lesser's name, who is one of the cutscene artists on TG and T2.

>> No.3488323

>>3488316
How the hell to you know this, ingame documents?

I dont remember those names.

>> No.3488374

What would those other cities look like?

>> No.3488416

>>3488323
In-game documents, yeah, and a few unused conversations between guards and Hammers.

>> No.3488428

>>3487961
Make the character black that fits the game title.

>> No.3488443

Recommend me some good lesser known fms. I have already played most of the ones mentioned on these lists
>>3478529
>>3478531
I'm looking for fms with a very strong thief 1 vibe to them, I don't mind if they are old or a bit rough around the edges. Some examples of what I mean are geller's pride, the vigil, mystery man, etc.

>> No.3488452
File: 875 KB, 1920x1200, thiefrooftopwallpaper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3478189

>> No.3488453

>>3488443
Golden Book of the Keepers (if you like Soviet-hard FMs that is, but they're good, especially 2 and 3)
The Secret Way
Murder in Featherstone
Events in Highrock
Cult of the Resurrection
The Death of Garrett
The Blue Star
Seeds of Doubt
Bloodstone Prison
The Varyx Obelisk
Greenbay

More recently:
Gems of Provenance
The Serpentine Amulet
Endless Rain
The Chalice of Souls
Watery Grave

>> No.3488485

>>3488443
I'm the only one I've ever seen mention Lorgan's Web, it's really good. Also try Evil Thievery.

>> No.3488592
File: 23 KB, 300x241, blahblah_in_gameplays.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3478531

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=thief+2+cell+6

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Thief+2+Zealot%27s+Hollow

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOHOw55MgFTSATfCPD-AlvNGHESDRsvtN

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOHOw55MgFTQ__XJiB7VUX14hO_S17Lt9

Mute.
Reason: blabla

>> No.3488793

>>3488592
I have no idea what you're trying to convey with this post.

>> No.3488860

>>3488592
these are your videos aren't they

>> No.3488935

>>3488592
Are there any Thief let's players who are as passionate about the games as Fen, but less annoying?

>> No.3489345
File: 14 KB, 189x189, 1472963217792.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just opened the secret passage in 'Case The Joint'. Was there some clue to put the grandfather clock to 12 o' clock midnight? I just did it randomly and got it.

I really wish this game had subtitles, sometimes it's really hard to hear what they're saying, especially ghosts.

I didn't find any notes relating to this either. Oh well, just feels like I cheated somehow.

>> No.3489361

>>3489345
I haven't played in a while but weren't the ghosts of that couple that were killed?

>> No.3489371

>>3489361
I think so, it's the man and the woman in the library. Couldn't hear a single fucking word from either of them though. It's too distorted, and the echo from EAX makes it worse.

The only other clue I can think of was the woman near the front door, who had a conversation about a lost piece for THE clock. Sadly I can't remember the conversation now or if there was any hint towards setting it to midnight.

>> No.3489407
File: 101 KB, 1099x1603, eulenspiegel_01-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's the opposite of ghosting? Jesting?

>> No.3489408

>>3489407
Speedrunning.

>> No.3489453

>>3487879
The girl is the only connection we would have to a future Thief game. Garrett, quoting Artemus, pretty much sets her up to be his apprentice.
>>3487961
Then he would either be a soulless husk or a "totally-not-Garrett-OC-do-not-steal" type of protagonist.
>>3487932
I think The City is pretty iconic of the series and it would be hard to just drop it and move the game into another universe. What you COULD do is focus more on the outlying areas of the City, like pagan forests and suchlike. Thief 2 gives you an inkling of what it looks like out there in some books and letters, so it seems worthwhile to explore.

>> No.3489515

>>3487852
>a follow up where you play the girl

I think it would cheapen Garrett's position as the king of stealing if she would end up being as skilled as him.

>> No.3489668

>>3489515
Well, maybe she isn't as good at being sneaky as Garrett. Give her some Pagan magic and Mechanist tools and oh wait that's just Dishonored.

>> No.3489832

What about a Hammerite or a Guard?

>> No.3489857 [SPOILER] 
File: 240 KB, 1329x1056, 1473616527700.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

cockrings

>> No.3489880

Still can't play my legal retail copy of TDS because no dvd drive. Anyone have any idea where I could find a mini-image? I think that's what it's called. A few kb file without any game data that just acts as the disc in a virtual drive?

>> No.3489897

>>3489668
Dishonored was okay, not as "hardcore" as a stealth game as Thief 1 or 2 obviously but it also wasn't bad. The level design was pretty good regarding things like unlinearity and multiple approaches to each level.

A lot better than fucking Thi4f that's for sure, which is literally just a fucking straight line of progression with very, very little straying off the beaten path. Every single action, rope arrow use and "climb here" thingy is context sensitive and it just makes the entire game cancer to play.

>> No.3490058

>>3489832
What about them?

>> No.3490220

>>3489832
Play the fm "Upside Down".

>> No.3490357
File: 327 KB, 341x400, 1315354561532.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3489897

The powers are disgusting and like most modern games broken.

I did like the world and the heart.

And now that Corvo is Russel the sequel may be better, I dont think so, but maybe. Its still going to be built around the powers eve if now you can "reject them". Whatever that means.

>> No.3490446

>>3490357
You almost could reject the Outsider's powers in Dishonored 1 also. It's possible to ghost through the entire game, using only one of your powers one time. There's a single section in the Dunwall Tower level where you need to use blink once.

-All powers and action = Pointlessly easy
-All powers and stealth = Very easy
-Blink only and stealth = Easy
-No powers and stealth = Medium
-No powers and ghost = Hard

>> No.3490508

>>3490446
I did a no-powers no-upgrade playthrough, and I'm pretty sure you have to blink to get out of the pit at the start of the Flooded District.

>> No.3490513

>>3490508
Hmm... could be. For some reason my memory is telling me that I did get out of the hole without blinking, but I could be wrong.

>> No.3490538
File: 18 KB, 376x201, 1404565890443.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3490446
I ghosted the game almost without using powers and still found it easy. Its a triple A experience no way around it. It a bit better than Tomb Raider or wtv but as much brainless.

But I like the arkane guys, maybe once they establish themselves more when can get another arx fatalis.

>> No.3490639

Why does Thief 2 run so slow on an old computer? Is there something with the GOG version that adds stuff that breaks performance?

>> No.3490838

>>3490639
Maybe it's anti aliasing, I think New Dark adds an option for that.

>> No.3491001

>>3490838
Works pretty well in Thief actually, I tried I usually turn it off in other games.

>> No.3491486

I got my Thief 3 working but before I start recording the ghost run, I'd like to know if there's anything I can do about those annoying tutorial messages and other handholding bullshit? Is there a mod or an ini tweak that lets me get rid of them?

It's strange that the Sneaky Upgrade fixes so many things but doesn't get rid of the tutorial crap.

>> No.3491504
File: 206 KB, 415x415, 1473193838706.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3489857
Paw Hooks
Razor Collars
Cheek Spikes

>> No.3491524
File: 69 KB, 512x512, spidips.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3491504
Muzzles with underslung cheek spikes to be exact

>> No.3491564

>>3491486
The next update should have the tutorial turned into a real mission with difficulty settings.

>> No.3491569

>>3491564
If the Thief 3 editor wasn't such a pain in the ass, they could use my map as reference:
>>3478326

>> No.3491859

>>3491524
Looks like Lavos.

Is that the spider? With a vagina mouth?

>> No.3492001

>>3491569
How about using your map as a reference for a fan-mission made with dromed?

>> No.3492197

>>3492001
Well, why not. I just don't see the point of having the Blue Heron Inn as a level in Thief 2. Especially since it's designed to be a tutorial level. It's based on the level in T3 and it follows a similar but not identical linear layout. Actually it makes the inn mission similar to Running Interference.

>> No.3492813

Thief 1 > Thief 2
Debate me

>> No.3492846
File: 33 KB, 760x576, M2MEMO_location.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3492813
I enjoy Thief 1 fan missions a lot but the T1 OMs are just toooo weird and blocky as far as the mapping goes. Lots of oversized, right-angled rooms and corridors with little texture variation.

Compare Lord Bafford's manor to the one in Running Interference. Running Interference looks like a real mansion with believable purpose to the rooms, sensible furniture, etc. whereas Lord Bafford's is like a weird abstract interpretation of a mansion. Like what the hell kind of hallways are these to have in your home?

I love The Sword and Lost City but otherwise I found the maps unmemorable.

>> No.3492851

>>3492846
I like that about Thief 1.

>> No.3492859

>>3492813
I'm going to debate you [/spoiler]except I won't because you are entirely right.[/spoiler]

>> No.3493049

>>3492846

I think they are okay, a bit weird but still okay, Ramirez seems a much better thought mansion.

I would say all the levels are pretty memorable except escape.

>> No.3493205

>>3492846
Bafford's manor is a old medieval castle turned into a place to live. Lady Rumford's mansion is a new build, made specifically for a rich noble.

The architecture shift (not the level design!) is pretty sharp from Thief 1 to Thief 2. Suddenly there are a lot of new buildings of highly differing style. Whereas T1 portrayed old primitive decaying middle ages, T2's architecture screams of modernity, progress and revolution. Something to reflect the regressive (Trickster) and progressive (Karras) themes of the story, perhaps? And that's one of the many things why I don't like T2 - this shift was too fast and too artificial, it felt like I'm no longer in the same universe.

Not the guy that was asking for debate, just inserting my comment.

>> No.3493235

>>3492813
I enjoyed the maps more in 2, except for the last one, I thought it was terrible, worse than The Guild. Overall I enjoyed 2 more than 1.

>> No.3493494

>>3492813
FMs > all

>> No.3493818

>>3493205
The City still felt like the City in Thief 1. I dont think the shift was that aggressive.

>> No.3493967
File: 386 KB, 982x463, wanna come wif.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3494002

>>3492846
The biggest improvement in Thief 2's levels is technical. LGS knew how to use the editor in more complex and clever ways and they had a larger polygon budget to play around with due to more modern hardware. So you have corridors/rooms filled with beams, multiple brush doorframes, layers of trimming and so on. Running Interference is actually built out of water, with the water being selectively solidified or evaporated to make the oddly-shaped house you end up with. It's pretty ingenious and nothing like the more primitively-constructed TG levels.

But I have to say the simplistic Thief 1 style is charming and nostalgic. I've come to appreciate it with time, and after playing missions like Endless Rain (which distill this blocky style excellently). It's wonderfully-surreal and feels appropriate for the Thief universe, especially in combination with The Dark Project's superior art direction.

>> No.3494060

>>3492846
Your criticism applies more to the Gold levels than the original ones. The hardware for Thief was very limited at the time.

I sill love Thief 1's design in every aspect.

>> No.3494075

>>3490357
The fact that the powers are disgustingly broken reminds how much LGS risked with their design decisions.

The reason why Dishonored has them is undoubtedly the popularity of the Bioshock series and the prominent use of plasmids/vigors, as well as the dual wielding of B2. Really, if you remove the unique setting of Dishonored it's almost a carbon copy. And Dark Messiah used the same kind of phyiscal/magical ability spread.

Yet they wouldn't let the games direction dictate the gameplay, but the popularity of mechanics in contemporary games to make it sell. It sold sure enough, but it's not as successful as a game as Thief.

LGS dared to break gameplay conventions and tropes to create what is to this day the ONLY fullly functional stealth game. It's not an element, one specific skill, a rudimentary mechanic, it's the definitive core of the game around which everything revolves. Stealth in games like Metal Gear, Deus Ex, RPGs, sidescrollers is either bad, broken, about memorising everything or done extremely poorly. Sadly, making a good game does not guarantee that you make a lot of money.

>> No.3494083

>>3494075
I hate Bioshock with a passion, I know its a decent game, but hate everything with it and the generation it represents.

Call me oldfag or wtv but I was expecting a better System Shock game, that time was fucking awful for videogames.

>> No.3494159

>>3494002
>Endless Rain (which distill this blocky style excellently
Endless Rain is a fantastic T1 FM, but dude, the mapping is worlds more complex than anything in T1 or 2. It has the T1 atmosphere from various aesthetic choices like the textures but there's nothing "blocky" about skacky's mapping. That mission wouldn't even run without NewDark's increased limits.

>> No.3494280

>>3494159
>there's nothing "blocky" about skacky's mapping
Well, there is. He deliberately used simple shapes when Newdark allows for 24-sided ones, to emulate the blocky arches and such of the OMs.

Sure the overall layout and size is far more complex than Old Dark allowed, but the shapes of the individual buildings and interiors is fairly simplistic.

>> No.3494424

>>3493967
AND THEY HAVE TEETH. AS LONG AS YOUR FINGAR

>> No.3494467

>>3494083
I don't hate Bioshock, but I got so bored that I quit halfway and never returned to it. A few months ago I tried Bioshock Infinite and the same thing happened. I don't know what it is about those games but they just bore the shit out of me.

>> No.3494469
File: 48 KB, 1024x768, t1-cathedral2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3494467
Because they are boring shit. Jsut baffles me how some shitheads call them a thinking man fps, they are being more pretentious than the characters in Bioshock games.

I reached the end of bio 1 through sheer rage at the time.
And went back to Mount & Blade and System Shock.

>> No.3494884

>>3494467
>>3494469
Yeah I don't really like Bioshock either. I do like Dishonored though. Would wish someone would make a contemporary Thief game similar to the first two though. Doesn't even really have to be a Thief game, just a game with similar gameplay and focus on stealth.

>> No.3495196

Am I going to get a lot out of Deadly Shadows if I'm not big into the Keepers plot stuff?

>> No.3495252

>>3495196
There are a few good missions, namely House of Widow Moira, Robbing the Cradle, and Still Life with Blackjack. If you can get over the clunky controls, it isn't terrible.

I've noticed that with a modern PC, even if I set the fps limit to 60, there seems to be a very high chance of getting Garrett's animation stuck in that mid-jump hover. And isn't that nice for my ironman ghost letsplay?

>> No.3495413

>>3494280
Hm, alright, maybe you are correct. That's probably why I like his maps, what I think of as a "clean" style is him not going overboard with trying to make everything curved and high-poly, but still having lots of solid architecture details and cool shapes. I would still say his building facades are more detailed than the OMs though.

>> No.3495516

>>3495252
What you can do is make saves for restoration points, but not use them for anything else
I understand that saving is against the point of an ironman, but losing the run for something out of your control is shitty

>> No.3495531

>>3495516
Still, I'd probably have to practice levels to pinpoint exactly where I need to use saves, otherwise the quicksave text will be constantly blinking up there and it ends up looking like I'm just making excuses for saving.

>> No.3495824
File: 1.62 MB, 1600x1200, dump012.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what do u guys think of this?

I'm trying to break the 'blocky feeling' of dromed

>> No.3495840

>>3495824
Looks pretty cool actually. The rounded objects do still look kinda blocky, which does stick out a bit. It seems that you should let the blockyness of DromEd work for you and not against it.

>> No.3495892

>>3495824
This is fantastic m8. Love the classic atmosphere, though I would change the wall textures of the building with the yellow windows and reduce the width of the fan so it's closer to the wall.

>> No.3496360

Wish I learned programming and some modern engine.

If if there is a game that stirs my passions and makes me want to make a modern version of it its Thief.

I should try Styx to see what is all about.

>> No.3496394

>>3495840
noted, thanks senpai

>>3495892
i've brushed the fan that way to hide some imperfection made by the nearby rooftop; as for the texture it's because the mission will take place between T2 and TDS (I'm trying to do a megamix of the three games without doing a steamy piece of shit that sounds like baby's first fan mission)

>> No.3496419

>>3496394
I think I'd like to play that if it's an FM. Looks like you put in a lot of work to provide for vertical gameplay as well as horizontal, something that's not done enough.

>> No.3496438

>>3496419
It's my most vertical map ever but I'm not very good with thieve's highway... and the main theme of the map is finding a way to steal a letter from a dovecote - I hope I can manage to create a fun map

>> No.3496650

>>3496360
>I should try Styx to see what is all about.

It's really good in my opinion. Really good controls, very vertical level design, good variety of enemies and environments, and often hilarious.

>> No.3496826
File: 130 KB, 716x738, hide&seek.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3496827

>>3496826
Be Thou Hiding?

>> No.3496831

>>3496826
AHAAAAAAAA

>> No.3497220

Just finished the Lost City. What a shit level, worst in the game by far

>> No.3497457

>>3496826
I didn't realize treebeasts were added in Thief Gold.

>> No.3497797

>>3497457
That shot is from the original. They were removed in Thief Gold

>> No.3498131

Apparently the Kurshok Citadel throne room is the worst area of TDS when it comes to floating Garrett glitch. You simply can't climb anything, because when you do, it's reload time.

>> No.3498417

Thief vs. AAA gaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU

Spoilers: Thief knows what it's doing, modern AAA games including the Thief sequel don't

>> No.3498425

>>3498131
I think you meant the worst mission of TDS

>> No.3498448

>>3498417
You could probably rename that video Looking Glass Studios vs AAA gaming. Almost all their main games were innovative in some way. Even their lesser known games like Terra Nova.

>> No.3498641

>>3498425

Nah, I think the final open world derpquest against Gamall is the worst "mission". The Citadel is 2nd though,

>> No.3498798 [DELETED] 

Gamall looked scary though. She'd fits nicely with some enemies from Quake 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3D3nyPezcU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz3jTR9gJ14

>> No.3499353

Gamall looked scary.

>> No.3499509
File: 363 KB, 803x573, 1470665307379.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3499353

Hags are the fucking worst thing dark pagan europe created.

The Witch movie scarred me recently, and Ravel was a the greatest villain ever created.

>> No.3500583

>>3498641
> City is in total chaos
> Gamall finally shows her true colours, haunting every part of the City and killing everything in sight
> She is so obsessed with finding you that she actually is easily distracted by everyone and anything
> You outsmart her and place the artifact anyway

That shit was awesome. Fight me.

>> No.3500709

>>3500583
I just think it would have been better as its own level, an entire separate section of the City of its own. Not just things scattered around in existing levels.

>> No.3500718
File: 87 KB, 640x272, Final_cutscene_07.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3500709
...continued: Also, the placement of some things makes the timeline all fucked. The final glyph was made in the very beginning of the keeper order, yet some of the landmarks can't possibly be as old as the order. Some of them fit pretty well, but others are nonsensical.

-The First Landing Marker is a good choice for the Paw node, since it obviously existed in the beginning of the order.
-The Fountain is a good choice of the Eye node because it's apparently one of the oldest parts of the City altogether.
-The Clock tower is suspect for the Crown node. The Crown was made by the keepers and given to Constantine to gift to the Kurshok. Was there really a Hammerite clock tower when the Kurshok were still living above ground? Though there might have been a different landmark there at that time.
-The Cataclysm happened less than a century ago. Having its memorial as the Chalice node makes no sense at all, unless the memorial was repurposed from something older that has been part of Fort Ironwood since the founding of the Order of The Hammer.
-Auldale is one of the newer parts of the City, and so is its founder's monument. The Heart node definitely shouldn't be there.

I think a better idea for the final mission would have been to return to the keeper compound from "A Keeper's Training" -with more access to the rest of the sparling complex. Instead of a gigantic citywide glyph, there would have been a huge glyph the size of a campus. It would also have been a nice way to make the story come full circle. To make Garrett return to his roots, so he can fulfill his purpose and rip those roots out of the ground.

>> No.3500797

What are some fan missions which are very relaxing or have nice landscapes?

>> No.3500807

>>3500797
It lacks nice landscapes but I found Bloodmist Tower very relaxing. Lots of humor and it uses that nice Trail of Blood music.

>> No.3500814
File: 33 KB, 394x524, Ham_guard1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3496826
Tis that I hear? REVEAL THY SELF!

>> No.3500857

>>3500797
>landscapes?

Landscapes are probably very difficult to produce in an engine that bases level geometry on boolean space operators and doesn't support terrains.

>> No.3500860
File: 69 KB, 408x938, hammerette.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3500814
Teehee 'tis I, dear friend. Hast thou heard the wise words of brother Karras?

>> No.3500876
File: 3.56 MB, 2560x1440, 1470711113327.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>see this thread
>think about replaying T2
>remember the bank

>> No.3500879

>>3500876
The Bank doesn't even have a loot requirement. It isn't as bad as its security tech and tile floors make you remember.

>> No.3500881

>>3500879
All I remember is CLOP CLOP CLOP CLOP CLOP CLOP CLOP CLOP

>> No.3500919

>>3500860
BY THE BUILDER! A WOMAN AMONG OUR RANKS??! THE BUILDER WOULDN'T ALLOW SUCH DEGENERACY!

>> No.3500943

>>3500919
I wish to please the Builder as much as thee, perhaps more so. Thine old boys club is no more. Do we not tame mighty wood with the hammer and nail to strenghten our houses? Do we not harness the brawn of the river with mortar and wheel to power our mills and lights? Why wouldst the Master Builder not wish all of his devoted to do great works in his name? Ask not who hast built, but what, and how well.

>> No.3500961

>tfw never knowing what to talk about with thief if not in the middle of a playthrough

>> No.3500980

>>3500961
Fan Missions. They're good to talk about.

>> No.3501028

>>3500860
> female hammerite
> fat
in fact
> any hammerie ever being fat

Gtfo.

>> No.3501056

>>3500718
That sounds rather nitpicky and I'll outright state that your criticism seems a bit - understandably - misguided.

The failsafe was obviously put in place many, many years before either of those monuments were built. They were landmarks that held a -certain- symbolic value, certainly, like the fountain being the place where the first stone of the city was laid, or the docks where humans first landed. The Keepers obviously contrived events in such a way that monuments were built in specific places according to the geometric shape for the Final Glyph to work. There are only so many spots you can chose for geometric shapes to work in a City.

And altogether I don't think it matters on a narrative level that the Sentients HAVE to fit to a specific location. They are bound to the City's fate, as are the monuments, which are symbolic of the game's factions. They are used to free all the factions of the Keepers secret corruption.

My conclusion would be: the spots were there before the monuments, and they were chosen for geometrical/geographical reasons over symbolic reasons pertaining to the monuments themselves. A landmark just makes the spots more memorable.

Also, I have to defend the usage of the hub system for the Final Glyph. As I explained in a previous thread, a hub system needs to be tied to the narrative to work, and T:DS does that well. It ties back the narrative of cleansing the City, to the City itself without shoving it down our throats.

Traversing another Keeper Compound that has no tie to the usage of the Final Glyph would have been pointless. Gamall has a secret lair, and we've already raided it. Why would we need another compound guarded by Gamall's creatures if there is the actual City to cleanse? It would distance Garrett's actions as the One True Keeper from his "flock", in an unnecessary way.

I admire that Ion Storm made that concept work in such a subtle way.

>> No.3501096

>>3501028
Fat? She isn't fat. She's ripped and armored. I tried to look for my original WIPs of the picture so I could show you the body shape on top of which I drew the armor but it seems to be long gone since that's an old picture.

And by the way, the engineer hammerites in TDS are a bit fat.

>> No.3501102

>>3501096
Women don't get ripped in that way.

The engineers wear multiple layers of protective gear to not get burned by the oven and materials that are a zillion degrees.

>> No.3501106

>>3501056
I just don't think having the final mission be set in the city hub was a bit boring because the player has already spent so much time hiding from the City Watch in those levels. On your first playthrough you already knew all of the hiding places and evasion tactics. If it was an unique level, it would have been an unique challenge.

But your point about the failsafe makes sense. I totally failed to realize that the keepers' plans don't necessarily work in the same dimension of time as the rest of the world. The keepers who put up the failsafe had obviously read where they should place the nodes of the glyph, so they would always remain preserved. They would have known if something in the future would have interfered with the plan, and would have adjusted the plan accordingly. Gamall must have realized this too late, and couldn't yet mess with the books for her own benefit.

>> No.3501117

>>3501102
>Women don't get ripped in that way.

Yeah sure, and Kortney Olson is a cartoon character.

>> No.3501137

>>3501102
>Women don't get ripped in that way.
Looks like we got ourselves a woman expert here.

>> No.3501214

>>3500583
Now I imagine Gamall as as even worse cosmic abomination with tendrils extending throughout the city and am atmosphere of pure dread.

Great ending.

>> No.3501225

>>3500943
LIES! WOMEN ONLY COME TO SERVE THY GEARS FOR THAT WHICH WE BUILD. THY MIGHT JUST AS WELL BE A FILE PAGAN RATHER THAN A BLASPHEMOUSNESS VILE TOUNGED HARPY SURELY DESTROYING AN CORRUPTING OUR VERY ORDER FROM WITHING! I'VE SEEN THY MACHINES, AND THEY BE NOT OF FINE QUALITY LIKE OUR BROTHERS.

>> No.3501821

>>3501214
Is that a reference to Discworld Noir? If so, funny coincidence since I wanted to reference it in an earlier post.

>>3501106
True, the restricted level size of the hubs definitely hampers the epic feeling of what is one of the best ending to a trilogy of games.

Still I think actually tying the story back up to the hub system works in its favour over, for example Invisible War. That game plays a lot like a terrible alpha of T:DS

>> No.3501835

>>3501117
>>3501137

Alright, so you expect a woman in medieval times who is most likely NOT consuming the latest protein-shakes, fitness drinks, and possibly shit like steroids to get just as ripped as a modern time bodybuilder woman who spends all her day working out?

A hammerite would either be reading scripture, praying, teaching, working (working with wood or forging/metalwork) or patrolling the streets or taking care of other duties. That would make her definitely athletic, and give her some form, but looking at what they have in the kitchen in Cragscleft, the hammerite's don't exactly dine like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

>> No.3501860

>>3501821
I never played discworld noir.

>> No.3502749

>>3501835
>Please be warned. A misguided soul... Aaall should hear the wooord of Karras... the wooords of Karras.

Seriously though, it's a fantasy steampunk world full of unrealism. There are fat poor people for taff's sake.

>> No.3502929

>>3502749

That's a poor argument. Just because they have steampunk machinery doesn't mean everything's a free for all. Garrett doesn't jump 2 feet one day, and fly the other. There are RULES, lady, this isn't Vietnam. Also, what fat poor people? The only fat people I saw in T2 were rich, and the fat ones in T:DS weren't poor but just general citizens. Even THEN, being poor doesn't mean you can't be fat for genetic reasons. Also, spending way too much cash on food is a good reason to become poor.

I seriously hate it when people say "but it's fantasy lol, anything can happen :^)". No. It can't.

>> No.3502946

Is Return to Haunted Cathedral bugged? I found Murus twice near the cloister but it isn't showing up in the cemetery now, I have all the items

>> No.3502970

>>3502929
Just look at the shoulders of the mechanist chicks in T2. They're pretty damn fit. That's what I based the drawing on, and that's it.

>> No.3503070
File: 23 KB, 460x215, TDS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone know why I can't hear Garrett's footsteps in Thief Deadly Shadows? I'm using Sneaky upgrade with all mods installed. Doesn't matter if I run on wood, stone or metal.

I'm using a Sound Blaster Z card, I've tried to turn off hardware acceleration/EAXHD/Multiple Environments, but it still doesn't work.

>> No.3503076
File: 471 KB, 1260x710, 1337392351121.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3503070
Nevermind, it was one of the mods. God damn it I should have tested before.

Figured turning the original sounds in Minimalist mod would be the culprit, but apparently not.

>> No.3503098

Well that was stupid, the footstep sounds were missing because I reduced the headbobbing factor to 0.

>> No.3503103

>>3503098
That's simulation-based game design for ya. When a character takes no steps, steps produce no sound.

>> No.3503114

>>3503103
Yeah, but I figured headbobbing might be separate from the model, even though we can view the rest of our body. Kind of like how ArmA 3 does it.

>> No.3503132

Thief is the only game I can think of that was meant to be played in the dark.

>> No.3503143

>>3503114
TDS doesn't actually have a 1st person mode. It's just a third person mode with the camera in a different position and Garrett turns if you pan enough to the left or right. That's why everything is tied to animations.

Eidos Montréal were geniuses of incompetence. The problem with the controls of TDS was how much they were tied to clunky animations, and EM actually managed to take that issue and make an even worse equivalent in the form of 99% scripted pre-animated "gameplay". It's like poetry. The feminist slam variety.

>> No.3503149

>>3503143
>EM
It was Ion Storm that made T:DS, wasn't it?
Of course, your statement about them being incompetent still stands, seeing as how they made Thi4f

>> No.3503174

>>3503149

What I meant is that EM took what Ion Storm made badly and made it more badly. Everything about that disaster indicates that they knew exactly what they should have done so they could avoid doing it all. You can't get so many things so spectacularly wrong by accident. It's just astronomically improbable.

>> No.3503184
File: 789 KB, 1024x589, Garrett Thief.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3503143
I am only on the first mission, not the tutorial, with all these fixes installed including the minimalist mod with the Thief1/2 HUD. And I can already tell I like the first two more. But it's pretty good now that I've tweaked everything, so I hope I can have some good ol' taffing still.

But damn the controls are clunky compared to the first two, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss being able to lean forward, if not just to look into containers, or down ledges.

>> No.3503207

>>3503184
Actually I take some of that back, the controls aren't that clunky.

>> No.3503420
File: 38 KB, 475x349, 281873820.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm so fucking tired of levitating in Thief: Deadly Shadows. Moving big boxes is also a pain in the ass.

>> No.3503448
File: 285 KB, 642x584, 1324342237187.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm starting to get really tired of this. Just casually climbing anything might get me stuck floating in mid air. Forcing me to load a previous save.

>> No.3503519

>>3503184
Delete that picture right now.

>> No.3503528

>>3500860
Makes more more sense in lore for women to be Mechanists.

Hammerites would never allow women in such a militant religious order. But I bet there are women Hammerites like nuns or something that would be fun to explore, a Hammer Convent.

>> No.3503556

>>3503184
>That right one
Honestly, what exactly were they thinking when they approved of that? I really want to know.

>> No.3503561

>>3503556
Nothing.

If you see the pre release interviews these faggots never even played the original games or had any sort of clue why it was a masterpiece. I remember the face of the story director or wtv, always seemed bored out of his mind and wanted to finish the game fast.

I think it was their Polygon interview ...still gives me ptsd.

>> No.3503643

>>3503561
>I remember the face of the story director or wtv, always seemed bored out of his mind and wanted to finish the game fast.
Things like this makes me wish that people would get fired if they don't care enough about what they're creating.
Like, there should be a rule or something in the applications for the jobs where it says that you have to play and finish all the original games first if you want to work on this sequel so you know what you're working with.

>> No.3503652

>>3503643
It was just a brand. Nobody cared about Thief. THey should have gone 3d person name it differently and made their own shit. But they thought Thief is like Deus EX.

Actually even tough I kinda dislike but tolerate Human Revolution and MD, I think their team was better to handle Thief. The creative director of Human Revolutions seems a much more clever guy.

>> No.3503656

Is there any way to reduce tear in the game without turning on vsync or aa?

>> No.3503724

>>3479838
I prefer a mission-based structure, but I don't think that the hub is a horrible idea. For all that it did wrong, I think that Thi4f's hub was an example of how a hub *could* be cool, even if it fell short by an abyss or two.

>> No.3503889
File: 7 KB, 152x152, img_obelix.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>gog doesn't have the french version of thiaf 2.

>> No.3503901

>>3503889
>playing any game in any language but the original
top lel

>> No.3503903

>>3503901
no, the french version was actually great.

>> No.3503942
File: 77 KB, 640x480, 10411-3148672.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3503903
The german version is also pretty good.

In fact I would like to play it but I dont know how in the new patch.
The VAs are good, and Garrett sounds smooth as fuck.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lgf7YnGFy8

>> No.3503948
File: 102 KB, 982x757, Sink meh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>french audio files
Scarlet Pimpernel campaign when?

>> No.3504050
File: 247 KB, 1200x708, 006-the-city-of-lost-children-theredlist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3504051

Anyone watch this guy? Really interesting to watch since i'm not too into perfect ghosting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Y-Wl3UT3E&index=18&list=PL44705942C3CD1AA6

>> No.3504090

>>3504050
Thats the City alright. There is also a bit of German expressionism in Thief as well.

>> No.3504119

>>3503656
>AA
>having anything to do with screen tearing
u wot m8

I'm pretty sure NewDark lets you set a framerate cap in one of the cfg files. No idea why you're opposed to vsync though, it works great for Thief and it's not like you need twitch railgun skills. I don't find the input lag to be noticeable at all.

>> No.3504127
File: 158 KB, 800x509, WorldofLightandShadow_5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3504129
File: 64 KB, 800x500, bg_german_expressionism_by_fikey-d38mld5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3504146

>>3504051
This guy sounds pretty good. I've been looking for a hideofbeast equivalent of Thief.

>> No.3504156

>>3504051
He's by far the best ghoster with Klatremus. I especially liked how Return to the Cathedral threw all kinds of shit at him and he still managed to beat the level within Ghost rules.

>> No.3504181
File: 1.18 MB, 2447x1616, ccf24042010_00021.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3504127
>>3504129

Its probably one of my favourite art styles that came out of Europe ever.

>> No.3504185

>>3504156
Maybe its because he is making a lets play but I can ghost much faster than him I think.

Sneaking in Thief has became instinctive to me and the skill goes to other games with a bit of Stealth mechanisms.

>> No.3504347

Why do people always say that Thief 2 has more thieving? You're stealing from less kinds of people, and up until First City Bank and Trust, you're making chump change (even less than 1000 loot sometimes!)

>> No.3504438 [SPOILER] 
File: 1.52 MB, 1920x1080, 1474156130693.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey guys whatsup?

>> No.3504448
File: 1.64 MB, 1920x1080, dump005.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

uh what's the sound

>> No.3504994
File: 232 KB, 887x900, 1473654094896.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3504438

I swear the only game that made me almost eat my keyboard was Thief, Thief 2 actually.

I mean CRT monitors were pretty dark so here I am playing maybe for the 2nd or 3rd time, still a teen, on Trail of blood.

I had already finished the mission slowly 2 or 3 times always through the shadows, but somehow one time I was near the fucking end and jumped into the light at the end of trail of blood.

I swear to God I never knew those fucking tree beasts existed, I thought that hum before was ambient and this fucker jumps out from the pitch crt inky blackness and fucking attacks and kills me.

I screamed I threw my keyboard, tea, mint I remember the flavor everything on the desk to the ground. My heart almost stopped.

>> No.3505438

>>3504438
Crayman are worse. They're real nightmare fuel

>> No.3505535

Do ya think that the Kurshok and Cray people were buddies when the citadel was still above ground?

>> No.3505630 [SPOILER] 
File: 312 KB, 1920x1080, 1474209138376.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3505438
I shit my pants when I tried avoiding these guys and I found one of them behind me. You know those moments when the character on screen spazzes out because of your reaction?

>> No.3505647

pagan a shit! A SHIT!

>> No.3506025

>>3505630
I think anybody who played Thief knows that.

The only other games that did that to me were RE1 way back, Penumbra and PT and I never get scared of jump scares its just normal reflexes kicking in but they are violent.

However an oppressive atmosphere like in Thief or System Shock creates some real terror.

>> No.3506029

>>3492813
I can't because you're right.

>> No.3506039

>>3492813
Thief 2 peaks for me at blackmail and angelwatch, the last missions around Mechanists are meh. Thief 1 stays solid all the way.

>> No.3506147

>>3505647
This one is the shitsy he can't tell he's a ditsy

>> No.3506157

Why is /vr/ so autistic?

>> No.3506271

>>3506157
You tell me. You're on it.

>> No.3506360

I feel like Thief did the change in music right, something Reznor couldn't accomplish and was disappointed in when making Quake

>> No.3506467

>>3506360

For 1998 Thief was the true revolutionary fps, which was not an fps at all.

>> No.3506486

>>3506360
Quake uses cd-audio while Thief uses tracker based music. Thief sacrifices possible music quality for dynamism in the sound department.

>> No.3506528

>>3503942
>>3503901
Thief 1 had the most amazing voice actor for Garrett. He sounded way grittier, hard-boiled, lean and mean than Josh Randall does.

Also, German Garrett Thief 1 > Josh Randall > German Garrett Thief 2

>> No.3506535

>>3503143
I keep hearing this clunky movements meme, but I never had much problems with moving in Thief 3. It's like you actually have a body that needs to turn and move like an actual body, instead of a floating milk carton . I appreciate that Thief 1 and 2 have smoother movement, but you also kind of don't have body awareness in that game.

>> No.3506543

>>3506528
I had the german demo(I'm not from a german speaking country) of Thief or rather Dark Project Der Meisterdieb(Had the Bafford Manor and Tutorial in it) as it was called and I don't remember it being any better than the English one. You a german native speaker or are you judging on the fact that german as a whole sounds more gritty to a english speaker?

>> No.3506545

>>3506528
Josh Randall ?

>> No.3506551

>>3506535
I dont agree, you have good body awareness in Thief 1 and 2.

TDS was not bad but If you want to talk about games that did awareness good look at Dark Messiah.

>> No.3506564

>>3506486
Well it's mostly ambient but then again it's not affected by eax right?

>> No.3506568

>>3506535
The lack of realism in the movement of Thief 1 simulates the amount of control you have over your body better than the realism of the movement in Thief 3.

>> No.3506672

>>3506551
I played Dark Messiah, and its body awareness isn't perfect either. The movement has a whacky momentum to it that fits with the sword and sorcery theme of Might and Magic, but not the the Thief setting. Also, it came out 2 years later.

>>3506568
But you kind of don't. The easiyness of Garrett's turns are just about the only catlike, agile thing about Garrett. His footsteps are loud, the climbing controls are awkward (as in not working smoothly everytime), he doesn't fight very well either. Being able to crouch and move for extended periods of time is pretty nimble though. Otherwise, Thief 1 has a very realistic control system. Thief 3 simply chose to give the body more momentum by having to turn before you move, or turning your body in the direction of your movement.

Isn't that kind of the point about the Thief series, that the stealth system is more or less based around realistic movements of Garrett?

>> No.3506691

>>3506545
Damn did I fuck up. I always get the names of people involved with Thief mixed up. It's Stephen Russell of course god damn it. Sorry.

>>3506543
I grew up speaking both languages, and played the German version for most of my childhood. The thing about German Garrett's voice in Thief 1 is that it's very deep, but has a guttural grind to it. Women find it incredibly sexy. He's also a little more rough-spoken, has a bigger range of emotions he brings out in his line-readings than you have in the English version.

Check out the German briefing for Assassins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHouN-CuVc8

Of course, not speaking the language makes it about a million times less enjoyable.

>> No.3506812

>>3506691
Compare that to the French version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4fYmoyau6A

I love French Garrett. Definitely not Russell's style but very cynical nonetheless, with a hint of utter disdain in his voice.

>> No.3506882
File: 733 KB, 1658x1085, 1472152767737.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3506812
I am half Portuguese from my father and my mother is French so I can say that is pretty sweet Garrett. He sounds a bit bored but professional as fuck.

>>3506691
German one also sounds nice a bit more Rogueish, fuck Thief sounds so sophisticated in these languages. Was the game localized in any other ones now I am curios

My heart still lies with Stephen however...because he sounds so sly and his other voice acting like the guards is amazing.

>> No.3507342

>>3506535
Turning around in real life doesn't produce trembling, because you have moving eyeballs that compensate for it. In Thief 3 when you turn around, your body along with your head starts going up and down, and since your "eyes" are just glued to your head, your view starts going up and down too. If anything, that's not body awareness, it feels a cripple who can't move his eyes.

>> No.3507343

Just finished it for the first time Thief Gold, great game.

I don't like every mission but the game's overall a good experience.

Best mission: Return to Cathedral, imo combines the best of both gameplay principles of the game; pure stealth AND adventure/horror.

>> No.3507386

I'm also about to start Thief 2, is there a widescreen mod like for the first game?

>> No.3507390

>>3507386
New Dark (which comes with TFix and TafferPatcher) allows widescreen with customizable fov.

>> No.3507995

>>3482727

There was a brief time in the late 90's where it was perfectly possible to buy a PC game, play the game, and then return it before the return policy time ran out.

CD-Rs were also new, and there was a thriving copying underground. Those two things combined, plus the niche audience of the Thief series were enough to put LGS out of business.

It certainly wasn't because they were making garbage games. Even their flops like Terra Nova: Strikeforce Centauri were gold.

>> No.3508180

>>3507342
Alright, I've played T:DS since I was a kid, and I have neither noticed nor have I been bothered by trembling while moving around. I'll cut the game who pioneered body awareness made like in 2003/2004 some slack. Either way that criticism comes off as an autistic nitpick.

>>3506812
Oh boy, here I come with my school french trying to understand this one.

Knowing what it says I was actually agble to read the opening title cards pretty well.

He has a pretty neat, gravelly "not taking your bullshit" kind of voice. Very cool, although he could put a little more melodic emphasis according to the lines/the background music at times, but he actually delivers the last line extremely well.

French Garrett is also awesome.

>>3506882
Well mine lies with German T1 Garrett, simply because that's the version I played as a kid, and it's the sexiest most rogueish voice I've heard yet.

I really have to stress that LGS did some great localisations for their games. No awkward dialogue, no translation errors, absolutely stellar voice acting for each version (it seems). Compare that to most modern games, where the localisation is sure to suck on more than one of those levels.

>>3507995
I don't think piracy/return loophole abuse was the downfall of LGS. They brought out their best work in the years of much, much more popular games, like Half-Life and Metal Gear Solid. They were not a big developer, their games were too revolutionary, and simply didn't sell that well.

People seem to think that making a great game = selling lots of copies. You can make a great game and go under, due to a lack of marketing. Someone could program the best game in the world in his basement, but it would never come out unless a company would flog it for him for example. LGS were great pioneers of their trade, but they paid a most bitter price. I'm happy to say that my family and circle of friends all bought proper copies of the game and kept them.

>> No.3508187

>>3506812
>>3506882
Have some more German Garrett and evil German Constantine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAUIuscdEHw
Also, post more Garretts.

>> No.3508585

>>3508180
>You can make a great game and go under, due to a lack of marketing.

The tragedy of that is that it also works the other way around.

When Ubisoft was still almost good and was only starting its downward spiral to AAA non-product development, they made Splinter Cell Double Agent. It was very well recieved, for a Splinter Cell game. Then they started making Conviction. At some point they began to realize that the game is absolute garbage, and decided that it needs more marketing and hype. With so much more resources funneled into marketing, the game became highly anticipated. It was released, it was total shit, but it sold well. Then there was an epidemic of amnesia at Ubisoft...

"...Why did this game sell well? Oh! I know. We changed the formula from great pure stealth to shitty action "stealth". That must have been it. Is there anything we're forgetting? Hmm... Don't think so."

...and what followed in their footsteps? Hitman of course. And after that COCKRINGS

>> No.3508823
File: 92 KB, 645x500, gaben paid for my cockrings.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Played through every game I have that gave me trading cards and now I finally spent the fake money I made selling them. My review is going to be a goddamn novella.

>> No.3508870

>>3508823
We already know it's shit.

>> No.3508892

>>3508870
I'm going to elaborate on "it's shit" because I haven't gotten the chance to tell someone exactly how bad it is. And I do mean exactly. It might kill me though.

>> No.3508897

>>3508892
>It might kill me though.

Why

>> No.3508908

>>3508180
My first game PC game was The Dark Project in 98 when I was a kid. Deadly Shadows can't even piss in the general direction of LG. That might be a little hyperbolic but its true; Dark Project and Metal Age are like legendary elder-whispered-in-legends-thereof tier and a perfect way to bring the franchise back would be the original game with up-to-date graphics and a large open world, which should be doable now IMO

I just want my fucking rope arrows back.

>> No.3508909

>>3508897
I doubt it's very healthy if everything you see pisses you off and that goes on for several hours.

>> No.3508915

>>3508908
>and a large open world
n o p e

>> No.3508919

>>3508915
I mean like Life of the Party but the houses are open and going on the street won't kill you.

>> No.3509651

>>3508909
Shows us the review when done.

>> No.3509891

>>3509651
I think I will.

>> No.3509969
File: 18 KB, 195x202, IMG_20160726_032131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just done ghosting the mage towers and it made me realize that level isn't as bad as people say it is, its just a little too big.

>> No.3509983

>>3509969
The only problem I have are the floating platforms in the air tower. The rest is just fine.

>> No.3510147

>>3509969
Some of the tower, I think the wind has a really trippy ambient sound taht seems something out of Jodorowvsky Dune ost or Brian Eno.

>> No.3510959

would casing the joint be better if it had more guards?
they balanced the level around it being "easier" to fail, but they ended up just making it easier in general

>> No.3510970

>>3510959
Gervaisius doesn't live there. It would be a waste of money to have more guards guarding an empty house. Gameplay-wise, it's the only mission where nobody can detect you in any of the difficulties. It's easier on purpose, and sloppy players still need to play outside their comfort zone and actually pay attention. Like I failed to do when playing it when I was 12. I didn't even know what "don't get into any confrontations with the locals" meant. Damn you year 2000 and your two thousand page paper dictionaries.

>> No.3510990
File: 805 KB, 1680x1050, dump014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fight me villain!

>> No.3510998

>>3510990

I only got this glitch when I swapped Bafford's Manor demo version with the full version and vice versa. It also caused the Kung Fu Servant glitch.

>> No.3511036
File: 582 KB, 1680x1050, dump018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3510998
It's from bonus Thief gold's mission called Blooper Reel. More info here http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/OM_TG_Blooper_Reel

>> No.3511040

>>3510998
Is it a glitch for some enemies to hit you 3-4 times in the space of one second? It's happened to me multiple times.

>> No.3511110

>>3511036
Oh I didn't remember they included that. It's been a while since I played Blooper Reel.

>>3511040
An enemy's hit animation is interrupted on hit, and they can start another attack immediately. If you're standing close enough, the next hit will also connect instantly.

>> No.3512196

I'm building my tolerance by only playing bits of _EH_ and slowly building up to longer sessions. I've alredy got the first idea for a video. I'm going to record the beginning of the game, then edit out all of the static, pre-animated, scripted or otherwise uninteractive sequences, and only have the bits that have gameplay. Then I'm going to do the reverse. Finally I'm going to put them side by side and see how much there is free interactivity compared to static scripted bullshit.

Now I need to make an IV and find some bleach.

>> No.3512263

>>3512196
I bought it recently as well to compare against the originals, though waiting for the 20GB is a bit silly.

>> No.3512338

>>3512196
update: Fuck, I've only edited about 4 minutes of footage and I already have 56 cuts between gameplay and scripted sequence. I feel like I'll have to make some coffee with vodka in the water container soon.

>> No.3512725

>>3508908
T:DS had the best plot out of all three, and ended the series in the most worthy way possible. It gave sense and direction to the earlier two plots in a Hegelian Dialectics way.

I played T1 and T2 as a kid too, but I'm not dishonest about the third one and hate on it just because it did some things a different - and this is my opinion - successful way. I played the shit out of all three.

>> No.3512728

>>3508585
I didn't play much of the Hitman games but I liked them.

Also, reading that, I am most glad that I didn't play the Splinter Cell past Chaos Theory.

>> No.3512738

>>3509969
>ghosting
Your moss arrow use-count must have been in triple digits.

>> No.3512742

>>3509969
It's a terribly long-winded mission with drab textures, boring level design and ugly visuals.

They could have made a really elaborate puzzle about entering the mage towers, but there's already one open that contains the key to the next one, and on and on. Some towers are way too easy to move in, like the water and earth towers. Some are just ridiculous with the visual and sound hazards like the tile floors in air, the metal grating and light flooding in fire. All you can do is spam moss arrows and hope to brave through it. No, that level sucks. Like any Gold mission.

>> No.3512861

>>3512738
You don't need to use anything except ropes to ghost that level. Most of it is a cakewalk.

>> No.3512958

Dear taffing cripes almighty... I'm editing my Thi4f cutscenes vs gameplay video right now and at times it genuinely looks like a race. During a long cutscene the gameplay takes the lead, then the cutscene catches up again when it can just skip all the walking sections. I'm not going to spoil the winner but I think you all have an idea which one it'll be. And I made damn sure to be very fair about the editing.

>> No.3513090 [SPOILER] 
File: 102 KB, 1920x1080, 1474492120985.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Escape is kicking my ass right now.

>> No.3513121

>>3513090
Definitely one of the hardest levels to ghost.

>> No.3513129

Playing TMA right now, just done with blackmail mission. Tell me it doesn't drop in quality later on because it might be one of my favorite games ever, I didn't know the level designs were improved so fucking much from the first.

>>3513090
Last section I bunny hopped my way through disregarding everything and everyone

>> No.3513158

>>3513129
Is it possible to beat it without having to collect your gear? I'm at the 1st floor of the mansion.

>> No.3513178

>>3513129
The best is yet to come, though it does have a few weak missions (which depends, really, did you like Ambush?)

>> No.3513184

>>3513158
It depends on what you difficulty you started the mission on

>> No.3513191

Is T2X any good?

>> No.3513195

>>3513178
I liked it, but it's definitely one of my least favorite so far. I absolutely loved the bank mission, and jizzed all throughout the duration of Framed. Playing on expert btw

>> No.3513218

>>3513195
You'll like the rest of the game then. The Bank is great but there's even better.

>> No.3513229
File: 55 KB, 281x355, 1469115812773.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3513195
>I absolutely loved the bank mission

>> No.3513235

>>3513229
You didn't like it?

>> No.3513247

>>3513229
What was bad about it?

>> No.3513270

>>3513191
It's great. Good added mechanics, fantastic ingame writing, great level design, good classic briefing videos, decent variety and challenges, meh voice acting, cringeworthy pre-rendered 3d cutscenes terrible cutscene writing.

>> No.3513307

>>3513121
that's escape!, right?
It's probably one of the hardest levels in the series.

>> No.3513529
File: 193 KB, 400x698, moebius-8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am at the Thieves Guild mission in my playthrough again.

Fuck I cant do it, might stream it so I might have the courage to end it?

>> No.3514084

>>3512738
>>3512742
Didn't use any moss arrows, just did that weird stutter walk that keeps you silent on marble floors.

>> No.3514751

What I hate about the Mage Towers is

>Let's put a lot of loud metal floors in the Fire Tower
>Let's make the background noise so loud that you can't hear if you're making noise or not
>Enemies ignore the background noise and hear your sneaking that is quieter than the background noise

>> No.3514785 [DELETED] 

>>3514751
>>Enemies ignore the background noise and hear your sneaking that is quieter than the background noise
Magic. *snort snort*

>> No.3514793

Speaking of ambient noise, I just realized that the lightning in Thi4f comes at exact intervals and there's no thunder, in addition to it having a short warning flash before the real one. How can one game be so unimmersive?

>> No.3514864

>>3514793
I was shocked by the FPS drop during the ritual cutscene. It may have been because the game wasn't fully installed, but it's still terrible.

>> No.3515352

>>3514084
I don't consider having to resort to exploits like that good level design.

>> No.3515369

>>3515352
What does that even mean.

>> No.3515393

>>3514793
I made a thunder and lightning system in RPG Maker back when RM2K was one of the most-discussed PC products on GameFAQs.

It basically had two countdowns, one was randomly between 1-40, other was the previous number plus 1-3. Ticked down once per second. First hits zero, lightning effects play, second hits zero, random thunder sound plays. I even had internal areas that had events in front of windows that would light up during the lightning effects (it was handled by a switch).

End result, a lightning storm that was random and immersive. Programmed by a literal autist who was taking a piss when they handed out the savantness

>> No.3515412

>>3515369
Questions are usually ended in question marks, not full stops.

Your original post said that the "mage towers weren't as bad as people say they are", and you claimed that you ghosted it. Then people asked you how many moss arrows you used, and you answered none, because you used the no-steps-stutter-walk.

The fact that you can chose between a) using moss arrows that are designed to help you walk silent
or
b) an exploitative walking tactic that makes you slow but silent
indicates to me that the level is still terribly designed.

>>3514751
Also pointed out what is internally inconsistant and badly designed about it, although I would add that the fire tower also has very heavy lighting that makes you easy to detect as well.

I'd rather have a level that is challenging and doesn't require me to use unintended exploits to beat.

>> No.3515419

>>3515412
First: I'm not that person.
Second: You have no clue what you're talking about. You don't really know a lot about level design and mechanics, do you? The level designers had no idea you could use the stutter-creep glitch. None of the levels in Thief 1 and 2 were designed with this in mind. Tile, metal or gravel surfaces were supposed to be traversed with either moss arrows or walking very slowly with no one around. This glitch has fuck all to do with level design in the original missions. Besides it's not as if that glitch makes the game very easy. It's very slow and prone to errors.

>> No.3515426

>>3515412
Also, another thing: ghosting itself was not a thing the designers thought about in Thief 1, and the stutter-creep glitch is mostly used by veterans who don't like to leave any trace. Playing the game that way is a player-imposed challenge and not a designer-imposed one. It's not the level's fault if a player decides to play the game that way.

>> No.3515470

>>3515426
>Playing a pure stealth game stealthily is not a designer-imposed way of playing

Uhh... Remaining undetected is the most important thing in Thief. If you can't do that you can knock out your enemies. If you can't do that, you can kill them. If you can't do that, you can distract them, and if even that doesn't work, then there's a flaw in level design. Or it's the goddamn indestructible golden cherub

>> No.3515537

>>3515419
Way to go ad hominem there, friend. We agree that the designers didn't implement that exploit on purpose. The point I made was that having to spend a truck load of moss arrows is bad design, as well as having to resort to an exploit that wasn't implemented into the game on purpose.

The level was designed with loads of metal grating, tiles, and heavy lighting. Basically the only way around that is using moss arrows, knocking out people willy nilly, Or using a glitch/exploit. How can one defend the level design as great at that point?

>>3515426
It is the game's fault if the player HAS to resort to that exploit. That is undeniable. Thief let's you take reign of any playstyle you choose, depending on your difficulty setting. By no means is knocking out/killing/ghosting necessary. The Mage Towers is a pretty hefty drop in quality regarding level design in that way, because it looks ugly, plays badly, and forces a ghosting player to either expend a plethora of moss arrows, or cheat.

>> No.3515552

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbUxu44dINY

Holy shit is this a cool idea.

>> No.3515609

>>3515470
It is, true, but ghosting was not a thing the designers thought about when Thief 1 was made. Pacifist, most probably yes, but not ghost. See the unavoidable spiders or the Burrick nest under the library in the Lost City for example.

>>3515537
How is using a tool bad design, even in large quantities? They're here for a reason. The loadout store is here for a reason. I'm not arguing the level is particularly well made but your argument itself is silly. It's not as if the Mage Towers broke working mechanics or anything. It is still a standard level and perfectly obeys the game's rules, and save for the earth and fire towers it is a cakewalk to ghost. And again, ghosting was invented by players, not by LGS when they made Thief 1. The game does not force you to do it as it was not thought of. The level designers didn't think of it, that's pretty damn obvious in some levels.

And no, it's not the game's fault the player has to resort to that exploit since there is not a single level in Thief 1 and 2 where it's needed if you don't play with crazy rules. Because, again, it was a glitch the designers didn't know about and never accounted for. Same as crate nudging or a few other exploits. If that was a fan mission and the designer KNEW about that glitch and designed their level specifically around it then yes, I'd agree with you wholly. I can't in the case of the original games. It's like saying the level design in Quake is bad because you have to kill a few monsters to trigger events.

>> No.3515634

>>3515609
The argument isn't silly. Designing a portion of the game so monotonously that you are forced to use a ridiculous amount of moss arrows is, literally.

Again, it is the game's fault if it is designed as monotously, tediously, and repetetively. You can cross-check this easily: Compare it with any of the regular Dark Project levels. Song of the Caverns has a huge hall made entirely out of tiles, Mage Towers has two towers with extensive tile/metal grating + heavy lighting sequences, and Downwinders Thieves Guild is a little bit more lenient, but also has portions that require massive amounts of water and moss arrows like the casino, the kitchens, and others.

And again, it is the levels fault if the players have only the choice between exploiting/spending tons of arrows/go full blackjack on everything. Yes, it is, whether they intended the exploit or not.

I'll elaborate: Take a game that is incredibly hard to beat. Even veterans have difficulty beating it, because the enemies are incredibly difficult, and the xps are thus hard to collect. You literally get rekt each time you fight them straight on, but if you perch on a ledge/rock, the enemies don't know what to do, and you can just shoot them down. If the game is so badly designed that the player has no other way but to use an exploit as blatant as that, it is bad design.

>> No.3515686
File: 338 KB, 960x464, Utrecht.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3515552
The City feels so much smaller.

>> No.3515712

>>3515634
Yes, a huge hall made entirely out of tiles which happens to be the front entrance with no loot in it whatsoever, which is naturally the last place you want to be in. This isn't bad design, it is the continuation of the rules established in the very first level. Did you know there's almost no shadows, three guards outside and two bowmen perched at Bafford's front entrance? Is that bad level design? The towers are not particularly well designed but they're meant to be challenging in comparison to the outdoor areas (in total darkness most of the time with almost no chance of getting caught) and the keep which has plenty of deep shadows. The guild is designed to be a challenging job and it succeeds. It's not the best level ever but it accomplishes its task. It's not bad design when a game built around equipment forces you to use it. There are plenty of areas in Thief where you have to use equipment.

No, it's not the level's fault if players have to play following the rules of the game. This is basic game design, for fuck's sake. Blackjacking is an established game mechanic. Using equipment is an established game mechanic. Using exploits was not an established game mechanic.

Your example is again, silly. Sorry. It's not the designers' fault if they did not know about an exploit when making their game. How hard is this to understand? If the only way for you to beat a game is to use exploits instead of playing the game the legit way, no matter how hard it is because it was designed to be hard in the first place, then there's a problem with you, not with the game.

>> No.3515784

>>3515552
That's terrible. You shouldn't combine the districts seamlessly like that, having a few steps between Docks and SQ. It makes the City tiny. Actually, I doubt you could even have a city large enough to accommondate all the official missions of the trilogy if you were to do that.

>> No.3516006

>>3515712
It's not a continuation of the first level at all.

The foyer is supposed to be the last entry point you choose. It's deliberately made to attract additional guards, like the front entrance should. But it's not JUST made out of tiles. There are carpets, torches you can extinguish, stone alcoves for archers, doors and corridors providing viable escape routes, and a flight of stairs to run up/hide in.

The Opera House section is a complete non-sequiteur. It is an unnecessary, ugly, terribly designed part of the level.

The Guild isn't challenging, it's long and tedious. Like all Gold levels.

I believe that you don't get the part about equipment. The game has equipment to provide multiple solutions to a problem. It should not narrow your options down to only two ways.

Holy water, water and fire arrows are provided in the Bonehoard, but it is left up to YOU whether and how you use them, Especially the water arrows are genius in their design, you can clean up blood, extinguish torches OR kill zombies.

You can decide to sneak through the haunts to the Eye, climb up with a rope arrow and get it. You can climb to the 1st floor without rope arrows and jump on the altar to get the eye, or you can build a way to the altar with multiple rope arrows. Really it's up to the player and his resources.

And consider laying out an enemy. You can shoot him with a broadhead, a gas arrow, you can lay mines, blackjack him, stab him in the back, as just a few things. Those pure tile/metal segments are the equivalent of making a narrow corridor filled with undead, forcing you to use up a huge store of water arrows/holy water. It's tedious, monotonous, moronic design that goes against the very design principle of the rest of the game.

If your next argument is another exercise in self-defeating logic and "your argument is silly" I will simply discard your opinion.

>> No.3516326

Anyone have a link to that new TDP FM pack in the works?

>> No.3516349

>>3516006
Ah so you're the one who thinks the opera house is garbage. I wasn't sure but it figures. No point in talking to you then.

>> No.3516473

>>3516349
Yeah, personally I think Song of the Caverns is one of my favorite levels from TG. The opera setting is a well placed breather from the undead-filled tombs the game had been throwing at you post-The Sword, and it isn't nearly as ridiculously long as the other two TG levels (I almost want to defend Thieves Guild, but it's far too long for its own good. At least it isn't as tedious as Mage's Guild, or as ponderously long and labyrinthine as T1's Lost City (although that has the excuse of originally having two of the sigils stuffed into its confusing-as-fuck layout).

>> No.3516561

>>3516473
I like being lost in the lost city.

On the other hand something went really wrong with the thieves guild mission, its complete nonsense, somebody should redo the mission and create a decent sewer guild.

>> No.3516630

I dunno about you guys but I enjoyed Thieves' Guild. Might be because I was high was fuck during the whole thing

>> No.3516637

>>3516630
The level design is a mess. I mean after playing something like Assassins and Cragsclef.

>> No.3516746

Just got Thief Gold for the first time ever, anything essential I need to mod in or will the Steam version run fine out of the box?

>> No.3516787

Where the fuck is Karra

>> No.3516837

>>3516787
sssssssssssssss

>> No.3516843

>>3516787
My first time playing through the last level of Thief 2 I had no idea you could actually go see Karras. I remember talking with my friends about beating the game and when they asked "Did you see what Karras looks like?" I was filled with so much shock and awe that I spent an entire weekend playing nothing but Thief 2 to get to the end and find the bastard. Was very happy when I did. He was my favorite antagonist at the time.

>> No.3516847

>>3516746
Get tfix/tafferpatcher. Make sure you leave the option to install fanmade levels on as if you enjoy the base game you'll probably enjoy the well-crafted fanmade missions as well. Other than that, no.

>> No.3516923
File: 251 KB, 327x338, 1472751844994.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Return to cathedral
>Trying to get down those marble spiral stairs quickly and quietly while holding a body.

>> No.3516998
File: 17 KB, 240x312, sweatingman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3516923
CLOP CLOP CLOP CLOP CLOP

>> No.3517007

>>3516923
>Not tossing Martello's carcass to the first floor

He doesn't care how you handle his dead rotting body. He just wants to get it buried. I just throw him out of the attic and then it's just two doors until you're in the cloister.

Renault is the hard one because with him you actually do need to take the stairs.

>> No.3517013

I liked the mage towers quite a lot and song of the caverns is one of my fave levels from the first game, why the h8?

Thieves Guild on the other hand gave me a splitting headache the first time I played it, as did the Lost City. Each one took me like 4 hours and that experience has sullied my view of them quite a lot.

>> No.3517137

In my opinion, the worst thing Thief Gold did was replace the Craymen with Mages in the Lost City if you ask me

>> No.3517141

>>3516630
Thieves Guild is actually one of favourites, next to Cragscleft

>> No.3517164

>>3517141

Thieves Guild is probably very enjoyable for Sandmen, but it's a nightmare for Ghosters. It's the only mission in TDP that has NPCs that are pre-programmed to be paranoid and will go to 3rd stage alert from any and all disturbances no matter how small.

>> No.3517176

>>3517137
Agreed.

>> No.3517184

>>3517164
>ghosters
Fuck those autists tho.

>> No.3517201

>>3517184
Supreme ghosters are autists. Reloading a save because someone thought they saw something but immediately dismissed it as their imagination makes no sense. Same with restarting due to being seen by a zombie just in case the zombie calls the cops and makes a police report.

I've heard supreme ghosters complain about being unable to play Soulforge because the mission starts with a yellow stage alert of a watcher. Some of them go as far as to wait behind a stationary NPC for several hours, so that an animation glitch very slowly drifts them to a certain direction out of the way.

>> No.3517216

>>3516349
>>3516473
While Song of the Caverns was one of the stronger Gold missions, it still suffers from the tediosity and barrenness of Gold mission level design.

Also, what point did that Keeper tunnel serve? They literally hid one the most vital seals to the most sentient artifact like 5 minutes into the sewers underneath an Opera House? Come on. The map and briefing build it up as a Bonehoard-sized adventure, but then all you do is get past a few craymen and a newbie's arrow trap.

The Water Talisman was way better suited in the tomb in the Lost City, because it gave that place identity. In Gold it's just some place that Brotherhood Mages traverse, for what reason and how? I'm damn skippy they didn't find the hole you use in T2, nor did they get the key from you, and I'm sure they can't be quicker than Garrett.

That's actually one of the worst changes the Gold version made. Fucking up The Lost City royally.

>> No.3517229

>>3517201
https://youtu.be/s2qoa_flRKQ?t=1h36m44s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6unENQCPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m7rfqm6uGc
https://youtu.be/eO_3wegNqrI?t=44m47s

lol.

>> No.3517238

>>3517184
>>3517201

After ghosting all the games a few times I feel like it's one of the worst ways to play the game.

While training it lends itself easily to savescumming, memorising everything and repeating the same approach for each situation. And on top of that, you never get to use most of your tools.

That's why I let the game take me where it flows. I remember on my first playtrough as a kid, my best friend and I would only save as the game went along, not to savescum. When a haunt caught us, we went with it. That's how some of the best and most fun situations in that game came about. Huge battles in the front room of the cathedral where we basically blew our load after the Eye called all the undead in alarm, and the scary part of having NO weapons to fight the undead in the rear complex. That was memorable.

Ghosting the game goes like this: There is no danger. Period. Nothing can touch you because you know everything, and once you get caught you either restart the level or reload. There is no sense of immediacy or urgency, getting caught fails your run, or if you succeed, the only adversity is sneaking. Which is often times something people memorise over multiple gaming sessions. Nah, I'll take a very long break from ghosting.

>> No.3517248

>>3517229
You have to at least admit that this just an impressive amount of sheer autism.

>> No.3517252

>>3517238
I know what you mean. The reason I started ghosting is that I had literally exhausted all other playing styles before, and the knowledge I gained from that helped me stay undetected while also avoiding violence. And I agree, it's not something you can do all the time. When I did my new ghosting videos, I stopped doing rehearsals of levels beforehand and went in based on my shaky memory of the levels, which made is much more interesting and enjoyable. Especially since I did it Ironman style. Savescumming makes things boring very fast, and that really will make players choose the exact same strategy at all times. When you don't have the option to restart every few minutes, you think things through much more, and your strategies become very different, since you simply can't take stupid risks.

>>3517229
Oh, lawd. That's exactly the player I was thinking about when I made my post about supreme ghost autism. How can anyone enjoy that? It isn't even an ego trip because you're savescumming like mad.

>> No.3517257

>>3517248
Yeah... I guess.

Thief Gold is one of my favorite games, Thief 2 a little less so but it's still up there, and I've never once even done a "normal" Ghost playthrough of either of them, let alone a Supreme Autism Ghost playthrough. I enjoy using all the tools available to me when I play the game, like this guy mentioned: >>3517238

Thief is just less fun without water arrows, blackjacking people on the head, bhopping (in T1 only), splattering zombie body parts everywhere with holy water arrows and flashbombs, making effective use of noisemaker arrows.

This is part of why I don't like Thief 2 as much, Framed & Casing the Joint bore the shit out of me when I get an automatic mission failure for being spotted once and don't even have a chance to flashbomb and get back into the shadows or something like that.

>> No.3517821
File: 162 KB, 413x436, handsome.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3517828
File: 173 KB, 518x528, 1473969669133.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3517252
>>3517257

Semi ghosting is the best way to play, I dont care if some guard thinks he saw me, or if I blackjack one or two people, even if I try to avoid it completely if possible.

Like Commandos.

Whats important is that I dont raise any general alert or kill humans, fuck undead and monsters however.

>> No.3518032
File: 114 KB, 640x640, washerface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3516349
>>3516473
Different anon here, I know that the opera house is apparently beloved, but it was actually the mission in Thief 1 that made me stop and realize how comparatively primitive the mapping is compared to Thief 2. The basement looks like the unfinished draft of a level--oversized boxy rooms and corridors, a lot of them with only 1 or 2 textures, as if they were just placeholders. Raoul is of course charming, but that level feels so slapped together once you're inside.

>> No.3518096

>playing cargo
>"it's a long way up"

That made me chuckle

>> No.3518140

>>3518032
That and mages in the lost city makes me want to turn Thief Gold into classic thief.

>> No.3518161

>>3518140
Try GoldToDark
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140679
It does as you would imagine

>> No.3518774

>>3517828
It's exactly the kind of playstyle I'm going for as of late.

I try my best to stay undetected, but if something goes wrong I'll roll with it any way possible, saving only to continue form where I left off. Since I play on Expert most of the time killing humans isn't an option, but you can still shoot/hit them until they run away, although that is definitely a last resort.

I think I've been ghosting the game for the last few years consistently, and it has really taken away a lot of the gameplay. Playing it the way it was designed is definitely a breath of fresh air.

>> No.3518775

>>3518032

While the mapping in Thief 1 is simpler - due to technical limitations at the time - the Gold missions crank that up to an extreme level. There are so many empty hallways, rooms with nothing in them and nothing to do, spaces that are comprised of one puke-ugly texture that it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the regular missions.

>> No.3519176

>>3518096
Down in the Bonehoard: "It's a long way down."
Precious Cargo: "It's a long way up"
Killing Time: "It's a long way, but down is always easier than up."

>> No.3519209
File: 142 KB, 500x313, 1473535650553.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw finally manage to finish Thief Gold
Lo isimos! Thank you for all the morale support!

>> No.3519250

So why did the composer for this game stick to ambience but have some songs that sound really industrial if that's the right genre. and every beginning of the ost sounds the same, like the player is thrown into the level.

>> No.3519270

>>3519250
He was inspired by DJ Shadow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXl6D4oYIeg
Source - this fan interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrIhMlPbhqk

>> No.3519335

>>3519270
Interesting. Could he have also been influenced by Brian Eno?

>> No.3519341

This thread has been comfy as hell. Thank you fellow taffers

>> No.3519350

>>3519341
*tips hood*

>> No.3519356

Is it just me, or does Deadly Shadows lack hidden treasure? Now there seems to be more focus on special loot. Maybe I've just missed them, but there used to be so many hidden levers, buttons and shit behind banners in the first two games.

>> No.3519369

A song in spirit to leave this thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJjskjeZkeo

>> No.3519453

I'm currently playing Casing the Joint and I'm stuck. I suppose I have to do something in the library but I don't know what.

All the security system is deactivated so I can wander around as I please, been in basically every room but I can't find the secret passage

>> No.3519464

>>3519453
You should look around the libraries for books, there's way more than meets the eye.

Here's an actual spoiler:
Do you have the thing? The clock outside of the library is the one. Set it to midnight.

>> No.3519473

>>3519464
>>3519464
I don't even know what thing you are talking about.

I found the bottom floor secret in the library with the two corpse and just found out that following the sounds of the ghost leads to books to read.

I'll set the clock to midnight now, thanks.

>> No.3519504

>>3519473
Can't set it to midnight

>> No.3519507

>>3519473
You needed to find the mechanism and place it into the correct clock for it to operate.

And yes the corpse thing if I recall was just a side thing, but still somewhat relevant. I honestly don't know what the in-game clue was to set it to midnight.

>> No.3519519

>>3519507
I haven't found anything like that, and the letters I have don't mention it. Fuck.

I'm not digging this mission that much

>> No.3519528

>>3519519
I'm pretty sure there's some mention of it, I can't remember it now but I know for sure I did it going in blind. I think it was between the conversation between the guard and the mage near the entrance.

The Mechanism is in the large exhibition room/ball room in a toolbox.

Perhaps that is why you missed it. Doesn't look like conventional loot.

>> No.3519529
File: 43 KB, 208x199, 1298673587594.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3519528
>between the conversation between
Fucking shit, I should proof read when I'm posting while playing.

>> No.3519549

>>3519528
> I think it was between the conversation between the guard and the mage near the entrance.

That may be it. I'm not a native speaker and usually don't give conversations much attention because the main hints are always in the letters or environments. This time it screwed me up.

I found it now and finished the mission breaking the window and jumping out of the mansion.
It seems the next mission will be in the same house. Fuck me.

>> No.3519562

>>3519549
Now you know the layout and the workings of the map anyway. So it should be more straight forward.

>> No.3519652
File: 570 KB, 1245x703, Dirty Dan and his Voluptous Vixens august painting, only now for 5 quid!.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3519714
File: 10 KB, 220x229, wutdazog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>start playing thief earlier this year
>First mission is completely down to earth "Adventures of Stealy"
>last missions feature praying mantis people spitting exploding mosquito swarms at you

I mean I knew thief was kinda spooky, but everything after the Haunted Cathedral is like a nightmarish end time scenario.

Coming back to the Hammerite Temple almost feels like the ending of Mouth of Madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_HPFoelMQc

>> No.3519728

>>3519714

In the Sword you can already tell shit is going to get really weird.

>> No.3519854

Picking 2800 loot in Masks was exhausting

>> No.3520338

Finished the bank finally. Is that mission generally liked? Because I thought it was fantastic.

>> No.3520369

>>3520338
Fuck that mission.

>> No.3520607

>>3519714
Cragscleft right away was a level that featured an unskippable undead section. Down in the Bonehoard is also not made for the faint of heart. It's clear that magical uncanny shit is going on in the world of Thief, and it's larger than the player knows.

A lot of people who favour Thief 2 criticise that its predecessor was arguably not about being a Thief and stealing shit. Yet the idea of a game being entirely summarised in its title is a modern one. Thief could be an indie rogue-like title in which all you do is steal shit in randomly generated levels. That sounds boring. Thief 2 tried to deliver a bit more on the stealing from humans aspect, and it was fine, but Thief 1 is definitely the more intense experience.

In Thief 1, right out the door, you steal from Lords, the Undead, Pagan Gods, post-apocalyptic monster-ridden city sections, long forgotten cities, the militant clergy andsoforth. In Thief 2 you basically just rob mechanists and regular people, which is totally cool and comfy, but quite unlike the 1-man-DnD-Masterthief-party with which you pull off epic level raids.

>> No.3520613

>>3520338
The Bank is a great level, but it's a bitch to loot your way through. I actually never try to loot every little item, but with some missions like Casing the Joint and First City Bank and Trust I always have huge sums of loot left over for some reason. I don't know what I'm missing.

>> No.3520756

>>3520607
>but quite unlike the 1-man-DnD-Masterthief-party with which you pull off epic level raids.
So 1st city bank and masks don't count as "epic level raids" to you? Because they do to me.

>> No.3520851

>>3519854
Undercover has you steal 2400 out of 2700something. That's 87% in a mission that goes on auto-alert if anyone discovers that something is missing. It eventually goes on alert anyway but it would be nice if you didn't have to frantically nab the last few pieces when alarms are ringing.

It would have been nice if you could find technical plans for the alarm systems and sabotage them before stealing the talisman.

>> No.3520917

>>3520756
The mission itself is awesome, but robbing banks is a very mundane thing. It happens.

Now, breaking into a zombie-filled, sealed-off section of town to retrieve a sentient artifact which is key for a pagan god to bring back chaos, nature and darkness into a civilised world, that is epic level raiding.

>> No.3520938

One opportunity that Thief Gold missed was adding the Hammerite temple that Garrett was going to rob to the Assassins map; it would have been a nice touch, like the Little Big World

>> No.3521117

>>3520938
What if the Hammerite temple he was going to rob was the temple in eavesdropping?

>> No.3521158

SOMEONE POST THE FUCKER BEAR PITS BEFORE THE THREAD DIES

>> No.3521174

>>3521158
Or just make a new thread
>>3521170