[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 32 KB, 1017x888, shrine.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3469853 No.3469853 [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk about games we're just now getting around to playing.

I'm currently playing Lufia 2, nearing the end (I think). It's pretty neat, the character interactions are fun even if the characters themselves are one-dimensional, and I love how the dungeons are full of puzzles instead of just being random encounter slogs with the occasional branching path where one path leads to a potion or something. It's a shame that the battles are the most bog standard JRPG shit I've ever played; there hasn't been a single interesting mechanic or encounter so far, and I don't expect that to ever change. They're very easy, too.

Also there are some questionable bugs.

>> No.3469880

I liked the IP system, can't remember seeing a similar mechanic in a SNES JRPG
reminds me of the limit break system from FFVII and the way you learned abilities from your equipment in FFIX, except better
I'm playing Breath Of Fire II for the first time and I must say it's pretty damn boring and tedious

>> No.3469893

I can't play Lufia II after having played Wild Arms

it's just not possible for me

>> No.3469928

>>3469853
You would like Wild Arms and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

>> No.3469934

>>3469853
Finally started playing Rondo of Blood. That game is kicking my ass. I was always terrible at any Castlevania game though.

>> No.3469954
File: 2.17 MB, 1698x1200, wa2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Speaking of Wild Arms, I finished the second game last night.

Fucking LOVED that last battle, the transformation, the music (oh man, this game has so many awesome tracks), the scenes...damn.
The translation was strange as fuck, but still enjoyable (but seriously, there were times I had no idea what the fuck they were talking about).
That scene with Marivel and Tony was really sweet, as was the ending...still, I felt really bad for Irving and his sister, even after the whole thing behind Odessa.

Also, Ashley totally banged his love interest...several times through the course of the game.

Now I just need to wait for my Wild Arms 3 copy to arrive so I can get on that.

>> No.3470113
File: 205 KB, 256x363, Comix_Zone_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3469853
Tried out that Genesis plus GX Emulator. And I have gotten into Comix Zone.

I'm having fun getting into beat-em-up games like this one.

I had found quite a treat. Check out these old school anime portraits for Sketch and company.
http://vc.sega.jp/vc_comix/

>> No.3470252
File: 8 KB, 256x224, Tengai Makyou Zero (Japan)004.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tengai Mayou ZERO.
The most remarkable part is the real time clock. You set it at the start of the game and it keeps running even when the game is turned off. It changes offers in shops, unlocks special events, lets you raise virtual pets or encourages to visit certain characters every day.

>> No.3471043

>>3469880
The IP system would be interesting if the IP skills weren't just as boring as your other options. Also, Breath of Fire wasn't good until 5.

>> No.3471834

I've been playing Lunar Eternal Blue Complete.
Finished Silver Star Story last week, and I'm enjoying this a lot.
It's strange, the battle system, the story, they are nothing special, but there's something really charming about the characters that keeps me going.

>> No.3471864

>>3471043
5 was so bad it killed the series
limited saves and a time limit are the worst things you can put in an RPG
the only good BoF games were 3 and 4

>> No.3472169

>>3471864
if anything I thought the game gave you too many save tokens

you pretty much get a save token for every save point you come across

you can suspend your progress with a temporary save at any time

literally the only reason I can think of that a person would dislike it is that they want to be able to constantly save and grind to redo parts they failed at without coming up with any actual tactics or understanding the game, to which I answer, grow some balls and commit to your decisions or git gud.

the time limit is also extremely generous, even if you use the dragon form on every major boss fight, you won't run out by the end. You also never actually need to use it except for against one particular recurring boss.

the fact that it literally burns away your life just makes it a hundred times more satisfying when you actually do use it and completely destroy someone

I think if you don't like BoFV, you probably don't want an actual game, you just want something like an interactive storybook akin to a walk through a harmless theme park

>> No.3472214

>>3471864
>limited saves and a time limit are the worst things you can put in an RPG
It's almost as if it was deliberately rigged up to be played through multiple times or something.

>> No.3472237

>>3472214
>it was meant to be bad

ok

>> No.3472287

>>3472169
>I think if you don't like BoFV, you probably don't want an actual game, you just want something like an interactive storybook akin to a walk through a harmless theme park

or maybe a game that lets you play at your own pace, explore and do something other than fight, kinda like the past games in the series

but whatever helps you sleep at night

>> No.3472428

>>3469853
There's a fan-made patch for this bug.

>> No.3472459

>>3471864
2 was good, but it got pretty hard near the end.

I couldn't get into 1.

>> No.3473413

>>3472287
Anon you are growing old at this very moment and are slowly shaving away the time you have left to live while taking it easy and playing retro videogames

it's impossible to have what you described, it's an illusion because in real life you don't get what you described, so even if you get it in a game it's still not actually happening even then, you dig?

>> No.3473449

>>3471864
>the only good BoF games were 1 and 2

ftfy

>> No.3473607

>>3473413
>that post

try not to post while being drunk

>> No.3473836

>>3473413

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHlRtGqFODc

>> No.3473843

Thief

Done the first level, so far so good. In the mines now, is it possible to knock down the zombies?

>> No.3473904
File: 663 KB, 900x1200, 1472148367154-v.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3469853
DQ1 to 5
I used to be the guy who trashtalks them because they are rather boring for the first couple hours but they get better later in the game.

>> No.3473935
File: 221 KB, 640x480, BANJO_TOOIE_544.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Recently beat Kazooie and I'm on Tooie now (just unlocked the terrydactyland area). I also heard pic related was the most vexing part of the game but I'm kind of excited to see the area for myself.