[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 437 KB, 1920x1019, Expert Patriotism.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3438018 No.3438018 [Reply] [Original]

Astrologers proclaim the week of the Squirrel.

Old thread: >>3413202

http://pastebin.com/6G9B1cMA

>> No.3438038

>>3436607
> The reason you cast Day of the Gods is it costs all of 5 gold to restore your spell points
What do you mean?

> scaled way down +200 all stats is definitely useful.
???
At GM level, all stats go up 10 + 5 times x skill. I only have 10 points in Light magic, it's only +60 bonus which barely does anything

>> No.3438057

>>3436906
Heroes IV or V get discussed here once in a blue moon. Anyway, Heroes V is barely 10 years old, even with a huge stretch it's not retro by any means, unless Oblivion is retro now.

>>3436519
> Resistances are bullshit in M&M7 with light and dark magic being way better than every other school of magic.
True, but that's because almost no one has Light/Dark resistances. And there's no way to increase Light/Dark resistance—AFAIK.

However, with elements it does help—sometimes. Mainly to know which resistances to cast first. Recently, I went to Titan's Castle, and had to clear out water elementals. Day of Protection + 50 water resistance from a well made it much easier.

>>3436986

>> No.3438118

>>3436986
To me it's what >>3437034 and >>3437051 said, but not only that.

My favorite aspect is that the gameplay is incredibly rich, but also balanced. I never feel the game is unfair to me; there are never any roadblocks/ceilings which don't let you progress. M&M7 is almost like an open road, and you speed up/slow down whenever you want.

Meanwhile, the game system is much more advanced than in most RPGs (at least the ones I've played). It has the incredibly addictive mix of skills/classes. There are almost no useless abilities, every class/skill just "fits" and works together with others. It's very thoughtfully designed.

Last but not least, the games are fast-paced. There's no bullshit traveling for several hours on feet, no 1-minute long animations for every attack, no unnecessary talking with citizens in every town—the list goes on. Most dungeons feel like actually well-planned labyrinths, with interesting puzzles, hidden paths and other secrets—not just doing anything to hold you down to add more gameplay hours. Moreover, the game rewards experienced players: if you know what to do, you can run through M&M much quicker—as I said, it's like an open road, and almost nothing holds you back, ever. And Fly/Town Portal/Invisible make your movement far more convenient.

IMO, M&M was miles ahead of its time. Somewhat similar games like Elder Scrolls and Gothic got popular only recently, but in many ways they didn't go much further then M&M. But unlike them, M&M never became a boring mixture of grey and brown.

If anything, NWC got one thing right: they made the game FUN. From crazy monsters and humor to powerful abilities and clever dungeons, the game always encourages you to just have fun. Other RPGs just feed you boring quest after a boring quest under the excuse that it's necessary to save the galaxy; but M&M never becomes a chore.

>> No.3438232

>>3438118
And talking about the comfiness—it's the small towns. They're always super comfy, IRL too.

>> No.3438460

Is dual wielding broken in MM6?

I remember reading something a while back which said that dual swords didn't do much extra vs using a single sword, and sword + spear was only margianally better.

>> No.3438472

>>3438460
grayface patch fixes any issues with duel wielding and i'm pretty sure the site documents how it works now with the patch

>> No.3438486

Holy shit. I just realized that training one level in the training grounds in MM6 and 7 skips up 8 days of time.

However, if you train your whole party at once, it skips only as if you trained one member. So, I have trained everyone 4 levels, and 32 days have just skipped…

This explains how time passed so fast in my plays. I couldn't understand how I could already last a year of game time. I'm now level 50, meaning at least 400 days passed because of training.

>> No.3438628

>>3438118
No grinding too. I hate grinding in any RPG.

>> No.3438641

>>3438486
Now I also realize how I managed to fuck up all of the Lloyd's Beacons… Just skip my time up senpai

>> No.3438685

>>3438628
True. Now to be completely honest, I've seen grinding that doesn't become terrible—it was more or less OK in Dragon Quest games, where you get Metal Slimes, special enemies which get you insane amounts of experience, like 50 times the usual amount, but they run away and you can only deal 1–2 damage to them. But in most other games, it's awful.

What I like in M&M is that quests actually reward you, not just open the road to a next town. In other games, like in Final Fantasy for example, you find shit for people, then fight a long unfair battle with a boss—and you don't even get paid for it! It's just mandatory or otherwise you won't progress further.

In M&M, on the other hand, the dungeons are pretty interesting to explore, and you can clear them without even fighting if you want to; there's no big overpowered boss at the end of each dungeon. And if you remember the location by heart, you can simply grab the necessary item, bring it to the guy who requested it, and still get almost the same amount experience.

This is really great and I think grinding-free gameplay gives M&M special charm: it puts tactic/thinking above mindless killing. Same with pedestals and wells. If you find and use them well, you can wipe the enemies in a really short time. Not to mention there are altars unmarked on maps, which if you find you will get hefty bonuses to your base stats. Horseshoes and genies' lamps keep the game fun—exp and levels are never the cornerstones of the gameplay.

Lastly, I was just reading some firums, and people were asking which levels were required for certain dungeons. It's funny, because I think M&M is perhaps the only RPG in which the level doesn't actually matter: last time I played, I spent hours upon hours, with heroes well into their lvl 60, and I barely made it through the Maze; now at level 47 I barely loaded 2 times, only because I forgot to use Protection from Magic.

Truly a remarkable, unique game.

>> No.3438698

>>3438685
M&M2 is a grindfest

>> No.3438714

Any general tips on starting out MM3? what classes/races should I definitely have?

>> No.3438721

>>3438714
MM3-5 has racial abilities so make sure you have a party member that can detect secret doors and another for enemies. Barbarians are great for melee since they have so many attacks. You also want to make sure you have a class that can do water-walking spells and flight.

>> No.3438748

>>3438038
20 skill with cloak of light magic (that you get on Evermorn light temple for killing the high priest) is spell level 30. What else would you be dumping points in?

>>3438714
It's a good idea to have at least 1 of every race given all else, but really it doesn't matter because all the racial skills are taught in the sewers of the first town. Look up the racial tables and consider changing races to maximize spell points (like elves for archer/sorcerer).

A solid team that doesn't require much effort is Paladin/Archerx2/Robber/Cleric/Sorcerer. The only problem with this comp is you will eventually need an item of water walking (or abuse the etherialize bug to get into deep water). You can get barbarians if you want more melee. Eventually you can consider dumping the Robber for another paladin once you reach the statue that teaches all skills including thievery (MM4-5 the all skills trainer does not add thievery so you are stuck with one all game). There are no mandatory classes, but archers and paladins are strong all game long. I acutally prefer PPAAAR, but for a new player I would want some pure casters.

>> No.3438751

>>3438038
>>3438748
Forgot to add the 5 gold is the cost to heal at the temple in Castle Harmondale. Healing restores hit points AND spell points. If you already have Light Magic it's there. Even if you don't have a character with Lloyd's Beacon, you can just heal at whatever temple you are near.

>> No.3438787

>>3438748
> 20 skill with cloak of light magic (that you get on Evermorn light temple for killing the high priest) is spell level 30.
Fuck yeah, thanks for mentioning. I only got the dark cloak. Too bad I fucked up all my beacons—see >>3438486 . But I wonder if there are repercussions for killing the light priest. I'll look into it, maybe learn stealing.

Oh boy, I will finally be able to warp to Pit and kill them all with Prismatic Light.

> What else would you be dumping points in?
Well, I don't have huge skill point surplus yet, I'm only coming to it. Just got to level 50, dumped everything into getting GM Meditation. Before that, it was GM Merchant and GM Light. And I got Body and Spirit to max too right after choosing light path.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm avoiding Divine Intervention, it seems a bit broken. It's my first run on light path so I'm not too experienced yet

>> No.3438857

>>3438698
Yeah, I should've mentioned I was talking about MM6–8.

I kinda fear playing anything before them. Modern RPGs have lots of conveniences and generally don't demand too much from player, like writing down stuff and so on. With MM2 I'd fear I will have to read tons of guides and grind the hell out of everything.

I also have a hatred of RPGs where you move over squares, and the movement is gradual, tied to a grid (like in Final Fantasy), rather than smooth (like in Earthbound).

I might try it one day, but I haven't yet reached the bottom of MM7, and I want to beat MM6 one day.

>> No.3438860

>>3438857
MM4 onwards has an autojournal. I keep notes anyways for the newer MM games because I take long breaks between sessions.

>> No.3438865

>>3438698
Also, I fear this style of games where it's too easy to die if you do anything wrong, and what's considered "wrong" is rather arbitrary and up to a large extend to devs' dark sense of humor.

>> No.3438868

>>3438787
There aren't any that I know of. I usually get both cloaks when I go to Evermorn the first time for the druid promotion and merchant master. The only possible penalties would be pissing off Celeste. You can test it by saving, going into the light temple and killing things, then town portal to Celeste and see if everyone is hostile. I'm pretty sure the only things that can make people hostile are ignoring guarded areas and stealing the tapestry if you took the wand on Emerald Isle.

>GM meditation
Cleric's don't get GM

>>3438486
In MM6 it's 8 days flat regardless of how many or high you are. In MM7-8 it's 8 days PER LEVEL increase, but it's shared by all party members. If you train everyone up 10 levels, that takes 80 days. If you train 1 person up 10 levels it takes 80 days.

>> No.3438869

>>3438860
Do the MM3–5 games have the same teacher system akin to yellow pages?

Also, are the encounters random? This is my main concern.

>> No.3438875

>>3438869
There are virtually no random encounters after MM2. There are some annoying things in outdoor parts of MM3 that respawn if you leave the area without killing their nest.

>> No.3438876
File: 1.97 MB, 1278x960, nope.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3438869
No random encounters and you can see enemies and shoot them before you get into battle with them. And it has the same teacher system but skills are different.

>> No.3438883

>>3438868
> Cleric's don't get GM
…Fuck—I actually forgot about it. I wonder if I should load my previous save, I stupidly dumped 10 points at it when I got Master.

> In MM6 it's 8 days flat regardless of how many or high you are. In MM7-8 it's 8 days PER LEVEL increase, but it's shared by all party members. If you train everyone up 10 levels, that takes 80 days. If you train 1 person up 10 levels it takes 80 days.
Thanks for explaining, it wasn't covered in the FAQ that I used.

>>3438875
>>3438876
Thanks, this looks better than I expected. At least you can run away whenever you can.

Still, gonna miss the real-time combat from 6–8. It's basically a very simple version of Doom, but I liked it anyway.

>> No.3438892
File: 261 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 23.33.36.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Climbing the volcano in Nighon, aka Mountain Goat Simulator '99

It's so tall that when you're on the top, the earth below you is beyond the draw distance

>> No.3438906

>>3438883
It's more complex than doom desu. Enemies don't run away when they're going to die in doom.

>> No.3438909

>>3438906
I'd say a more fitting comparison is simplified Ultima Underworld for realtime combat.

>> No.3438910

>>3438714
You don't "need" any races/classes. Racial bonuses can all be gotten gradually and aren't that significant. Elves and gnomes should probably spellcast, half-orcs and dwarves brawl, and humans can do anything [like a human sorcerer can be a comfortable pick to die less early on but have less mana later on; M&M lets you get all the stats superhigh and double your mana and levels all the time anyway]. Imho, Ninja > Robber because the Ninja is a slightly better fighter and I was never crazy about rewards from robbing myself, but there isn't much of a difference. The party you get at the start is good enough to beat the game - I played MM3 with a default party and had no problems. You don't need waterwalk until you decide you need it; then just hire Fineous/Lonewolf and have them cast it then kick them out or get them killed. Etherealize, Teleport can also substitute Waterwalk. Druids and Rangers aren't needed, Nature Magic is overall pretty shit.

Just have a balanced party. Meleers, a thief [you don't *need* one because of a mid-game dungeon that teaches you all skills in the game, but it's still convenient], divine/arcane spellcasters. I'd stick an Archer/Sorcerer combo solely so that you have two characters for casting a lot of Lloyd's Beacon throughout the entire game and Implosion in the late game. Between Knight, Barbarian and Paladin the combat differences are miniscule; Knight can use all the equipment in the game [though it doesn't matter much in the late game; obsidian leather armour is just about as good as obsidian plate], Barb has the biggest amount of attacks and Paladin casts cleric spells [good utility and secondary source of healing].

>> No.3438916

>>3438714
When you get to enter the pyramids, make sure to click on all the crystals strewning the rooms.

>> No.3438919
File: 56 KB, 1280x720, Trolling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3438916

>> No.3438924

>>3438919
You need the higher Intellect for mana to kill Terminators!

>> No.3438928

>>3438924
Just like those orbs in the Dragon Clouds of WoX. Nothing can possibly go wrong.

>> No.3438948

>>3438928
>>3438876
Speaking of WoX, am I the only one who finds the enemy animations jump-scary?

I have to kill all Insane Beggars and the ogres from a distance because of how startling their attack is.

>> No.3438951
File: 337 KB, 1295x998, DOSBox_0.74,_Cpu_speed____20000_cycles,_Frameskip_2016-07-22_20-43-06.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3438948
sup

>> No.3438954

>>3438951
I had nightmares because of the eradicated status-face popping out at random, please stop.

>> No.3438956

>>3438951
>Not spoilering where we won't see the thumbnail.
You had one job

>> No.3438959 [SPOILER] 
File: 325 KB, 1295x998, 1471651414204.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3438956
i failed you all sorry
xeen is probably the scariest game i have ever played from random DOSbox corruptions. one time the music started playing all the notes backwards out of nowhere and footsteps made a loud echoing noise and i thought i was hallucinating
when i restarted, everything was normal again

>> No.3439040
File: 10 KB, 320x239, mandm31-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3438951
>>3438948
You're not the only one.

I think M&M3–5 all had psychedelic trippy cartoon style, with that distorted depth too. I think it adds to the series' fun aspect, but needless to say it's creepy as hell too.

Even the giant portraits at guilds/taverns/healers give me creeps.

>> No.3439063

Reminder than in MM3-5 enemies won't attack you from a distance if you walk backwards up to them. Works for traps too iirc.

>> No.3439102

Just beat whole Roland campaign for the first time, 242 days with Black Dragon rating.

If the anon struggling with the campaign, in the Crown route, is still around, try what I did: explore as much as possible with everyone on fastest units, clear out the central and eastern part of the map to gain access to the Warlock and Barbarian towns [particularly the Warlock town in the dead center with a fully built mage guild], amass Black Dragons and Titans, mix in your favourite units [I used ogre lords, phoenixes and war trolls]. I also cleared the western Necromancer side but I never used it.

If you get True Ressurect in the mage guild it's gg, and Dimension Door can help you greatly because you can teleport to small squares along the final pathway to Archibald's town and summon a boat there. There's also a way to DD to Archibald by going west of the furthermost Necro town and aiming your DD along the western ridge of the map.

>> No.3440076

>>3439063
If you are feeling particularly abusive you can face the enemies, turn around, save, load, and back in to them.

>> No.3440389

>>3440076
You stop caring about fairness when you start fighting spellcasters.

>> No.3440845
File: 221 KB, 1920x1080, EXPLOSIONS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Open random chest
>It's a carnage bow

>> No.3440849

>>3440845
>your party member says its garbage after you ID it
Anyone else always found that hilarious? Nothing short of relics or artifacts will impress them.

>> No.3440885

>>3440849
<Yawn> looks like junk to me. I'll give you, like, 200,000 gold for it.

>> No.3440892

>>3440885
I don't know why they still use the <yawn> message even when you have duper and merchant hirelings.

>> No.3440913

>>3438876
You pussy, those are some of the weakest enemies in the game!

>> No.3440972
File: 146 KB, 1280x720, 1282855099890.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3440845
>Opens random chest in HoMM3
>Endless Sack of Gold

>> No.3441003

>>3440892
I wanted to make a comic once:

A party of evil characters—liches, black knights and so on—stand in the blacksmith's shop in Celeste, smiling smugly. The blacksmith says: "You foul creatures brought destruction to our land, and I hate you with every fibre of my being. But god damn, this guy here drives a hard bargain. Have your god damn swords and go away"

>> No.3441013

>>3441003
I always wondered why shops in towns you decided to go against still allow you to do business there, the guards and npcs will attack/flee but the shops still let you in.

>> No.3441016

>>3440972
>rescue stranded person at sea
>gives you infinite cart of Ore
Wish I had that hilarious mspaint saved.

>> No.3441034

>>3441013
Business is more important.

Note that when you try to rob a shop, you won't be allowed here. Goes to show that the only thing that matters to merchants is stuffing their own pockets.

>> No.3441042
File: 177 KB, 600x756, soldier feeding sad cat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That feel when you have Amulet of the Undertaker, Dead Man's Boots and Vampire's Cowl, but you're a lvl 18 Knight

>> No.3441046

>>3441016
>HoMM II
>Leprechaun wants to sell you Endless Sack of Gold for 2000 gold

>> No.3441856

>>3438698
As someone who has only beaten M&M2, this is only true on your first playthrough when you don't know the ins and outs, and haven't beaten M&M and imported those characters.

The standard opening play to M&M2 for experienced players is to run over and grab Mark's keys, bring them to Mark, then go visit your guardian pegasus and tell him his name. You'll be sitting on 10K EXP and a million gold. Run the keys back to Mark a few more times, and you can get your team ready for the Juror's quests. From there it's just a matter of going through Dragon's Domain for the bonuses and equipment, then doing all the required quests.

Mark's keys quest can get you enough experience to handle the Juror's quests, and once you've done those you really don't need to boost yourself anymore. Unless you are trying to take down the Mega Dragon or the 66 Devil Kings, you won't need to do any grinding.

But that initial blind game, yeah, you'll be spending days fighting in the skeleton closet.

>> No.3442658

I've been thinking about trying out the M&M games before 6 recently, if I download them from the links in the pastebin I dont have to spend a half an hour tweaking settings in janky ass emulators to play them will I?

>> No.3442684
File: 19 KB, 247x248, 1465773878173.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Install Restoration of Erathia
>Music just stops playing after i save the game
>constant crashes
>remember playing it without any problems half a year ago on the same system
cut my life into pieces

>> No.3442695

>>3442684
just pirate SoD or get it from GoG famalam

>> No.3442697

>>3442695
but i wanted to beat the campaign of the game and the expansions, i was too retarded back then.

>> No.3442703

>>3442697
You can still play the RoE campaign in the complete or SoD versions of HoMM3, and the original balance for RoE is still there.

>> No.3442721

>>3442703
Wait, you can play RoE campaign in SoD?

>> No.3442734

>>3442721
yes, the AB campaign too

>> No.3442736

>>3442734
I thought that wasn't included in SoD, that's why NWC made Complete

>> No.3442847

>>3442658
GOG preconfigures DOSbox for every game. You'll only have to mess with settings if you want higher quality music for 3-5. For 6-8 just get the grayface patch and copy and paste the sound folder files into a new music folder.

>> No.3443275

>>3441046
"Psst. Wanna but a bitcoin miner?"

>> No.3443364

>>3438892
Is there any way of improving the draw distance in MM6?

>> No.3443367

>>3443364
Sorry, haven't delved into that

>> No.3443372

>>3443364
Nope.

>> No.3443434
File: 88 KB, 1024x768, 1470522519156.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

last year I stumbled accross some weird russian group that was remaking MM6 to 8 using a decompiled version of the source code.

It's pretty dumb that they don't know shit about advertising / marketing their efforst because the idea was cool, I was able to rebuild the whole game engine from scratch and make it run.
The C++ is at this page : https://app.assembla.com/code/might-and-magic-trilogy/mercurial/nodes

But now apparently they are set to remake the whole game in Unity, and the result is that it looks like SHIT and will never be finished :
facebook com slash mm7engine/

It's really retarded, as having the whole original code for the game is really a god tier asset.... potentially it doesn't require that much hard word to do an HD version or upgrade basic stuff like draw distance

>> No.3443437
File: 124 KB, 960x641, 13707743_638269579674876_7069949816458154636_n.jpg?oh=7f4a4c83504b998379662f6c3abf2a87&amp;oe=58140E17.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3443434
[vomiting intensifies]

>> No.3443439

>>3443434
Will never understand the slavs fascination with this series, at least it leads to interesting things like mods and getting the source code I guess.

>> No.3443440
File: 111 KB, 960x641, 13709938_638269683008199_7518535036664859425_n.jpg?oh=101531c787b07e060168d7381cfa2756&amp;oe=58470E32.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3443437

>> No.3443442

>>3443439
The only shitty thing is that they closely guard the source code and never share it.

>> No.3443447
File: 849 KB, 960x746, 13615357_631313703703797_2705483354262673951_n.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3443437
>>3443440
yeah it's pretty bad
from what I understood they just ripped the 3D models of the map and added tons of default unity asset on top of it, but it has no art direction at all.

Also I'm totally sure that now that it's in Unity there's 0% of the actual game mechanics implemented, so it's like they are set to remake the game from scratch

I have no idea how they managed to decompile the code and reverse-engineer most of the source code, which is pretty hard and time-consumming, and then they do this shit which is amateur tier

>> No.3443453

>>3443442
actually the source code is totally available in the link I posted (I don't know if it was meant to be public or not), but you need the mercurial client to download it I think, I don't think it's freely browsable from the webpage

>> No.3443460
File: 183 KB, 1920x1080, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3443447
Releasing source would be the best thing really. I get doing a Unity remake if it was like Daggerfall where you don't have the source code. The daggerfall remake is a little more tasteful too.

>> No.3443607

>>3443437
Really? It looks very raw but pretty cool to me.

>>3443439
Russian here.

I think it all started with Heroes III. It was one of the first really big PC games which got officially translated and published in Russia. To you, this will probably sound underwhelming, but trust me on this one: in a piracy-riddled Russian software market of the early 2000s, where most games were localized using auto-translate, and the official publishers (who had distribution at chain stores) mostly licensed cheap and shitty titles, it meant a heck of a lot. This is also the big reason for Russians' familiarity with Fallout 2, for example—I heard it actually got a great translation. From pirates.

I think the rest really snowballed after Heroes 3. Not many people really knew much about M&M in Russia before it.

My personal story with the game is funny, really. I had a childhood friend and her dad worked at Buka—the company which would eventually go on to translate Heroes 3. So once my family got invited to their place (I was 6 or so, it was around 1997), and turned out they had a PC at home (pretty posh by 1997 Russia standards). So they invited me to play some games, and the girl's dad literally sat me in front of the PC, put on Heroes II and explained the game to me—how you could choose experience/gold from chests and so on. I barely remembered/understood anything, but had some fun.

In around 1998 my family moved, but my family still had contact with theirs. So, I had a birthday in 2000, and they came to our place. So, the girl's dad came to me, took out Heroes III and said, word for word: "Take this. This is a great game." You could see in his eyes he meant it.

I didn't really pay it much attention back then, but then the game suddenly blew up. Everyone I knew played it. Too bad I sucked at it.

>> No.3444346

>>3442736
Don't forget to get the HD mod.

>> No.3444386

>>3438018
Why does this look like a mage guy trying to kill himself with a shotgun?

>> No.3444427

>>3443607
>Really? It looks very raw but pretty cool to me.
I thought the same. Not sure how to deal with the UI though, stretch them?

>> No.3444617

>>3444386
>JUST

>> No.3445247
File: 505 KB, 1024x576, fucker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck Steadwick mission and this fucking his fucking broken hero. The champions one shot everything so i have to blind that fucker. But then the crusaders go apeshit on my units. But if i focus down the crusader the shooter stacks fuck me in the ass. GOD DAMN I HATE THIS MISSION.

>> No.3445258

>>3445247
>cast expert berserk

>> No.3445271

>>3445247
RoE campaign? Just avoid the hero and capture the city while he's away.

Also, why the fuck are you playing the HD version? Just get the Complete (4.0) and download the free HD mod, not this ugly Ubisoft garbage without any expansions. Somebody should make a pastebin with this basic info.

>> No.3445325

Is there some strategy guide or pastebin for HOMM3?

I want to git gud.

>> No.3445349
File: 2.72 MB, 1248x4348, Homm guide.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3445325

>> No.3445359

>>3445349
>bottom right tip
What the fuck, how does this fuck up the AI?

>> No.3445373

>>3445349
>>3445325
This guide is fucking horseshit as was previously mentioned and relies on too many ultimate "dos" and "donts".
>Water Magic as the weakest spellschool when it dominates tough SP maps; guidemaker completely ignores Cure, Forgetfulness, Waterwalk
>says to always get Air Magic while neglecting to mention why
>says not to hire war machine specialists in a game where Gurnisson exists
>"don't buy war machines" = yeah, enjoy running out of shots on your shooters. Ammo carts go with you to topes/banks/treasuries too. All war machines can be used to exploit AI.
>says to ignore Scholar and Scouting = great secondary hero traits
>Leadership and Luck, likewise, also not in territory of "never take"
>Intelligence is not mandatory in MP and small maps
>justification for Fire Magic is incomplete
>info on Pathfinding is incomplete
>info on Tactics is retarded
>info on Armorer is retarded
>Tower, Rampart - not upgrading tier 6???
>"never take these units with your main hero" - "Pikemen" - yeah, have fun week 1
>never take Gremlins on Tower = fucking retarded
>never take Trogs on Dungeon = Shakti says hi
>no Goblins on Stronghold = how do you fght then
>Pixies in Conflux faciliate their uber early game
>info on SP vs Knowledge is retarded
>info on Att vs Def is retarded
>info on Unicorn misleading

A+ for effort, D- at most for actual helpfulness, will teach you terrible habits.

>> No.3445392

>>3445373
fuck I might as well elaborate:
>Water Magic and Air Magic
Air Magic is decidedly early game and MP games end very early, by month 2, that's why MP pros take it, for Expert Haste. It also has Dimension Door and Fly.
Water, in the meantime, has a shitload of amazing spells, but they mostly serve to win extreme late game exchanges [that never occur in MP] or huge armies against AI [i.e. Legion of Lizardmen = try fighting that without Slow + Forgetfulness combo]
>war machines
Gurnisson's high atk makes his Ballista hit like a truck and can clear map with just a handful of goblins and good micro, great in 200%. War machines are cheap, even if they do miniscule things, they can still lure AI to tank for your units or eat a chain lightning jump, protecting your units
>Scholar
The reason why Alamar/Jeddite rock = feed them a couple XP chests / random fights and teach your main Ressurection, also spell trading, can teach i.e. Neela Magic Arrow or sth
>Scouting
can be a lifesaver in poor templates, i.e. Fiona on 200% to find gold/chests/campfires faster
>Leadership/Luck
not nearly as bad; +3 morale/luck easily gotten through arties, but until then, can be a boon; can be great for mixing armies
>Intelligence
no use for it in MP; MP is a lead up to a giant battle where you cast Mass Lvl 1 Spell and maybe a couple Ressurections if lucky. Good in SP for TPing/DDing/Flying around, or prolonged battles where you want to Ressurect all your troops before delivering killing blow to enemy.
>Fire Magic
completely ignores Berserk/Sacrifice/Curse; it's still the most niche school
>Pathfinding
heroes that only have units native to their terrain [like Tower on Snow] do not suffer movement penalties. not exclusive to Fortress. having a Fortress hero doesnt magically make you zip thru swamps [imagine a newbie buying two heroes in town and wondering why Tazar carrying Edric's Pikemen moves like molasses]

>> No.3445405

>>3445373
>>3445392
>Tactics
an early game skill, lets you take on shooters without losses and is very helpful in final battle against MP enemy, loses value in huge prolonged SP games
>Armorer
You never have sieges in MP battles. Armorer is mandatory in MP.
>Tower, Rampart's tier 6
Unis or nagas + castle = 6 really solid units by the end of week 1 = can easily kill a ton of shit just by themselves, maybe with some magic help
>"never take these..."
Wrong info. How do you want to fight anything in the early game wtihout your Pikemen, Trogs, Goblins?
>Goblins
Gretchin is a very strong starting hero.
>Trogs
Shakti is a very strong starting hero. With three stacks of Trogs and some lucky tavern buys you can even try to upgrade Trogs Day 1 and dominate the map with them.
>Gremlins
They are Tower's lifeblood because they're the only way you can actually do anything day 1. Have strong synergy with Master Genies. [Gremlins/1 MG/1 MG/1 MG/1 MG/1 MG = free Bless, Precision, etc. on your Grems]
>Pixies
Upgrade them day 1 and ruin everything.
>SP vs Knowledge
Bonus mana is very easily findable [Vortexes, Magic Springs] SP - not so for might heroes, you need some SP to have your buffs last. Magic heroes should pump SP exclusively because the only window of opportunity for them is early when their M.Arrow or L.Bolt's 75-150 HP damage is still significant.
>Att vs Def
A very situational choice, again.
>Unicorn
gives 20% chance of resistance to spells, not immunity

>> No.3445420

>>3445359
you can't land ship on those squares
can still just Fly/Waterwalk tho

>> No.3445480

>>3445247
>>3445271
I always find it funny that when I look at HD Edition screenshots, I barely can even tell the difference with the 1999 original.

I guess anon's resolution doesn't help that, but still makes you think if there was any worth in Ubishit's """remake""".

>> No.3445484

>>3445349
FUUUUCK THAT GUIDE AGAIN!!! Fuck the retard who made it, I hope his dick falls off

>> No.3445492

>>3445480
I was gonna say at least it sold like shit but I looked up the stats and it did roughly 400k, 400k people got bamboozled by jewbisoft. At least their latest HoMM game has less than 100k owners, hopefully they stop making M&M games and just let the IP die already.

>> No.3445535
File: 107 KB, 656x1209, HoMM3 skills guide v4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3445325
General advice:
—Always get several heroes for scouting to grab resources, mark mines and explore. Give them fast units.

—Don't sit at your castle while you wait lvl 7s. Every faction has good units for early expansion:
* Castle—Marksmen
* Rampart—Grand Elves
* Tower—Master Gremlins
* Necropolis—Vampire Lords
Google the rest if you're interested.

—Use 1 or more as your main and bring him all the experience. Pick the one with the best specialty.

—Plan your build-up. Mark sawmills and ore mines ASAP (and I mean it). Build as many dwellings as you can afford on week 1 and preferably end it with building Castle to maximize your number of units.

—Forget about war machines, for beginner and intermediate players they're not worth it.

——Try to get lvl 6 and 7s units ASAP for most factions. Grab all of them and go fighting.

—Level up your main hero whenever you can and always grab better artifacts to maximize damage. See picrelated on quick cheat sheet for best skills.

—Damage spells are ok in the beginning, late in the game they are usually not worth it (except for Armageddon and less so Implosion).

—Get yourself some Earth/Air magic skill for speed spells (Slow/Haste). They are some of the most important spells in the game on mass level

—For best results, always try and get the following spells:
Lvl 2: Blind
Lvl 3: Teleport
Lvl 4: Resurrection, Town Portal (they need Advanced Earth skill to be most useful), Armageddon, Clone, Berserk
Lvl 5: Implosion, Fly, Dimension Door.

>> No.3445542

>>3445349
Please whoever made that guide—just stop posting it

>> No.3445567

>>3445535
This is better. I'd like to submit Forcefield, Quicksand and Disrupting Ray for best results spells for vs AI purposes: Forcefield can hide your archers or fast non-retal units for many turns, you can cover the map with Quicksand until the enemy can't move more than 1 movement point at a time, and stacking Disruption Ray on a blind enemy unit allows you to bring it down much easier once unblinded.

>> No.3445575

>>3445567
Yeah, all good additions. I put it all on the fly quickly from the top of my head, so I feel I missed a lot.

>> No.3445648

>>3445271
>Somebody should make a pastebin with this basic info.
There is one in the OP

>> No.3445693
File: 2.51 MB, 320x227, 23432.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Approach Witch Hut with main hero
>Okay let's gamble
>Navigation

I deserved this.

>> No.3445709

What is better; Mass Haste, or Mass Slow?

>> No.3445713

>>3445709
Probably Mass Haste since it cancels out Mass Slow

>> No.3445717

>>3445709
What's better, spoons or forks? That's a poor question.

Mass Haste is excellent when you have slow army. Slow is amazing when you have shooters. That's the gist of it, but there are far more ways to use the spells.

A better question would be Expert Earth VS Expert Air. But here the answer is pretty obvious, except when
1) you know you're stuck with walker army and no Wisdom
2) you can get Dimension Door

>> No.3445719

>>3445709
Mass Haste is a staple of Stronghold armies because you rely on getting those Behemoths clashing with the enemy as soon as possible. Any army that wants its stack of doom to engage immediately will want Haste.

Slow is more multi-purpose - it is not only great for shooter or non-retal oriented armies, but is overall a much greater boon when creeping. Mass Slow will do much more to prevent losses in a naga bank or dwarven treasury than Haste. So Slow overall.

>> No.3445758

Why is Inferno considered the weakest faction? I hate playing Fortress much more than Inferno.

>> No.3445792

>>3445758
We have these arguments in every other thread

To quote >>3402617 :

Imps/Familiars: Arguably the worst level 1, slow, weak, no abilities beyond an upgraded mana steal that doesn't actually net you much mana
Gogs/magogs: Slow, weak shooter. Upgraded version blows up your own units if you're locked in melee
Hell Hounds/Cerberus:Just about the only good unit they've got (Admittedly, probably the best 3)
Demons/Horned demons: Very weak for a 4, but at least they're cheap, but unless you're running some kind of funny map where like people can't build up the big gold buildings, by the time you can get t4 dwellings, the fact that they have a cost more akin to a 3 doesn't mean that much
Pit fiends/lords: Again weak for a 5, and the only thing they have to make up for it is a trick with the upgraded version that's hard to use.
Efreets/Sultans: Your other actually good unit, but as a result tends to get dogpiled.
Devils/Archdevils: Again weak for their tier, although the no retaliation is very nice. The upgraded version is also insanely expensive for something that only has 200 HP and does 30-40 damage.

Then add in that their heroes tend to get bad skills (fire magic being extremely common), and their special buildings are pretty awful (when was the last time you built a castle gate?), and the fact that pretty much none of them have a good late game main hero specialty, them getting gold, resources, spells, and creatures, and you've got the inferno.

They do have some good points: They're the fastest overland army if you recruit all 7 tiers, and with their top two being flyers and often getting ballistics, they're pretty good at city-cracking. They get diplomacy a lot, which But their best offense units are brittle, and by and large they just don't have a lot of raw power. They're one of if not the lowest HP per weeks recruitment, as well as damage output per week, and they just don't get great heroes.

>> No.3445796

>>3445758
Google the archived thread >>3398948, it had this heated discussion in length with all the pros and cons listed and argued over

>> No.3445823

>>3445709

Depends on the faction

Rampart has a metric ton of fast units and dragons are immune to your buffs, so better to go with earth and slow in general. They have more water and earth spells in their guilds anyways.

Dungeon can benefit from hasting but a lot of their spells are fire and earth.

Castle and fortress are very water heavy and they're all about buffing your units with shields and teleporting/cloning as well as earthquaking. They're better off with earth and water as well.

Inferno gets a lot of fire spells, so does necropolis. Necropolis has a lot of exclusive earth spells.

Tower and barbarians are the only ones dependant on air magic really. Especially tower. Otherwise it's mostly earth and water.

>> No.3445884

>>3445758
Inferno's difficult to utilize. Its early units are pretty weak and hard to ensure a strong early game with. Your best bet is to go Efreeti - and Efreeti+Castle may very well be possible by week 1 on most maps - and then you're okay.

Demon farming is a gimmicky tactic that takes a lot of work and micromanagement to set up and execute. A lot of bother, overall.

Archdevils are a great unit, but they lose stat-wise in duels with other level 7 units and their main use is hit'n'running against enemies who can't reach them, allowing for very cost-effective fighting.

But when you think about it:
If you wanna lug around hordes of slow units [Demons], you might want to just play Necro, Fortress or Stronghold.
If you wanna run around with a superfast unit and blow people up with a massive spellpoint count and tactics, you might as well play Castle or Dungeon.

Inferno is just tricky to figure out and the rewards are hard to reap. Better to just cookie-cutter Clone Archangels while having a secure early game with Marksmen and Cavaliers.

For single player though, Inferno is certainly not as bad. I'll take a couple of Archdevils and a fat spellbook through a scenario any day; the non-retal is really fun to play with and opens up shitloads of possibilities.

It's easier to leverage than the huge, standing, walking armies of Fortress or Stronghold, even if they compensate by being supercheap and reaching the peak of their power as early as week 2.

Also their heroes are only really okay.

>> No.3445907
File: 561 KB, 1024x948, 63.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Was Heroes 5 the last good Heroes game? I loved the skils there with the introduction of the "combo" skills. Felt like you had multiple ways to build your hero.

The camping, resource cheating AI on the other hand was kind of unfun to play against tho.

>> No.3445910

>>3445907
Having a choice between 2 different upgraded creatures was interesting, I wonder why this concept hasn't been done in a Heroes 3 mod yet.

>> No.3445935

>>3445910
Because you'd have to draw or at least change palette for, not to mention adjust the stats of 63 creatures.

>> No.3445938

>>3445907
Basically they went in and said HoMM3 is great, don't fuck with it. The skill tree was a nice addition, but the game was plagued early on with awful AI load times (in many scenarios it was ~3 mins a turn). Once it got around to TotE it was actually a good game.
It was still dumb trying to shoehorn the series into a new universe though.

>> No.3445939

>>3445910
Wasn't the creature choice in 4 not 5?

>> No.3446026

>>3445939
Base creature choice was in 4, but in an expansion of 5 (TotE) you had 2 upgrade choices for each unit.

>> No.3446034

>>3445907
I really didn't get a fuck about Heroes V. As a Russian, I hated that it was made by Nival.

Locally, Nival got its share of praise for being one of the first and perhaps the best Russian devs around. However, they got it mostly for being able to copy other popular Western games of their time well enough. What's funny is that they were famous in Russia in part for making Etherlords and its sequel, which ripped off Heroes and also Magic The Gathering pretty hard. So, they basically started from copying Heroes.

So it's not surprising I feel Heroes V was a good Heroes III clone at best. Technically, all the fan favorites were there. They didn't try to invent the wheel again which is also respectable. But a clone is a clone: it's never as good as the original.

Now, consider this: it goes without saying NWC and Van Caneghem in particular were longtime fans of D&D. They were also exposed (at least) to many other board games, which they eventually took inspiration from to make King's Bounty and, of course, Heroes. And it goes without saying there were also many fantasy-inspired things, from artwork to plot, incorporated into M&M and Heroes. It's safe to say all of these things made Heroes what it was.

Now back to Russia. Before 1991, role-playing, fantasy and board games were pretty much non-existent there. A fucking Monopoly officially came here only around 1997 or so and caused a local sensation. It goes without saying most of the fantasy stuff was untranslated and unpublished in Russia until at least the Soviet Union's fall. Now, think of this: how could a team of people from Russia possibly make something truly worthy of playing in RPG genre, ever? The only sane answer is: only by copying others well enough—which was pretty much what Nival made its name on.

Don't get me wrong, I am not say Heroes V is a bad game or that the devs did something wrong. I'm saying that it's just a clone. It just lacks the inspiration of the original. That's all.

>> No.3446042

>>3446034
That's a fair assessment of HoMM5, it tried to be HoMM3 but just couldn't quite nail it, its probably the best attempt Ubisoft had at the Heroes series, but they went full retard afterwards.

>> No.3446049

>>3446034
D&D and Star Trek fans with a mix of Twilight Zone.

>> No.3446071

>>3446026
Ahh haven't played the expansion in 5 yet. I might check it out.

>> No.3446083

>>3446034
I would rather have more clones of HoMM 3 with a few careful addition to the gameplay than the increasing mess they are making with HoMM 6 and 7.

>> No.3446087
File: 84 KB, 572x353, thanks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying shrines are fucking useful

>> No.3446098

>>3446087
>Your starting city's mage guild doesn't have magic arrow
FUCK EVERYTHING

>> No.3446104

>>3446034
>>3446042
To be fair to Nival, I should also add 2 important points: by 2006, the heyday of PC strategies, and Heroes' commercial moment, had largely waned away.

Heroes III happened in arguably some of the best eras for PC strategies: from Age of Empires II and Starcraft to SimCity 3000 and Caesar III, late 90s gave us many PC games still remembered today. 2006, on the other hand, was marked by the release of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which marked the big shift of Western games from PC to consoles. If you told anyone in 1999 that Fallout 3 was coming to consoles, they'd laugh at you, but here we are. By comparison, look at what happened to Command and Conquer and other popular strategies from the late '90s.

Also, unlike the successful Heroes III, Heroes IV felt rushed and thus was met with at best lukewarm responses. Around the time of their release, I remember feeling the Heroes series' future felt rather uncertain and that it was probably time to forget about it forever. The rather unimpressed reviews of the games' add-ons I read in magazines at the time largely held the same view.

So, even if Heroes V would play its "return of the series" card successfully, which would be quite hard after IV's reception, it would still come out in a rather different market than in 1999.

>> No.3446138

>>3446083
At this point, new Age of Wonders or Disciples might actually be better Heroes games than Heroes 6 or 7. So I see no point in even caring about the latter.

I'd be totally fine if Heroes was hypothetically handed to, say, Bioware, or Blizzard, or Bethesda. Simply because they know their shit. You know, some famous game series are actually made by several different teams, and thus feel quite different too—but people get over it, and so would I. Heck, I'd even settle for Disciples/Age of Wonders devs getting the license. I'd cross my fingers and hope they wouldn't fuck everything up. I'm not saying I'd rush to the store when the hypothetical game would come out, but I'd at least care about their games.

But when the franchise is handed to some virtually no name devs, and the game's multiplayer and bugs aren't fixed by the first add-on… I just see no point in caring about it anymore. I don't want to pretend Heroes 7 has any shot at ever being a true Heroes game. I don't want to recognize it for more than it is—Ubisoft trying to squeeze another buck from its old IP with the help of some cheap devs. So to me the games past V don't really exist.

>> No.3446165

>>3445709
In general terms...

Mass Haste if you rely on slow units that you want to get to the enemy faster (i.e. you are playing Fortress, Inferno, Stronghold or Necropolis)

Mass Slow if you rely on shooters and quick strikers and want to get tough enemies off them as long as possible (i.e. you are playing Castle or Rampart)

But it all is very dependent on your army composition and situation, too, so there can be no one clear answer. Very technically Slow can be a life saver in a wider variety of situations, such as killing impossibly large stacks of walkers with the Slow+Berserk combo or getting those unupgraded level 7s off your squishy troops as long as possible. Haste won't help you with killing those 3,500 naga queens in Dragon Slayer one bit, Slow will

>>3445758
Inferno has a bad hero lineup, mediocre units, an affinity for fire magic (the most situational and mediocre magic school) and basically nothing outstanding going for them. Castle has the better ultra-mobile level 7, Necropolis is better at amassing an army, Stronghold has better early aggression and Dungeon pulls of a better Armageddon strat.

>> No.3446780
File: 146 KB, 315x335, 1461088344087.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3445693
>Approach witch hut with main necro hero
>Diplomacy

>> No.3446848

>>3446780
>diplomacy
>bad on necro
do you even skellington transformer

>> No.3446852

>>3446848
>Having to go back to your town so you can get 70~ skellingtons
It's easier to just slaughter them with expert necro and be done with it

>> No.3446861

>>3446852

Liches, zombies and skeletons are pretty common overworld creatures though.

>> No.3446916

Question about M&M7: on GrayFace's site, in the "mechanics" section, he lists the following formula:

> Chance that monster will hit your character in a physic attack is (5 + MonsterLevel*2)/(10 + MonsterLevel*2 + PlayerArmorClass).

What's MonsterLevel? Is it monster's Attack stat? Is there a way to see it with ID Monster skill?

Also, what's the point of crowns, if any? They look like helms with 0 armor to me. I know they technically can get better enchantments, but I'm yet to see a truly impressive crown that would outclass a similar helm. I thought that maybe some classes couldn't wear helms, but even sorcerers can do this. Since AC is pretty crucial, I'd much rather get a helm for my sorcerer instead anyway.

>> No.3446939

>>3446916
>what's the point of crowns, if any?
swag

>> No.3447141

>>3446916
>>3446939
Cant they hold really strong enchantments?

>> No.3447490

>>3447141
yes

>> No.3447503

>>3445910
Except 99% of the new upgrades are garbage and in the end you're still sticking with the vanilla units.

>> No.3447656

>>3445247

Try mass slow, or mass haste. Mass shield's very powerful as well. By the time you actually REACH the guy, you probably have far more towns than he does, so attrition's always an option.

>> No.3447810

>>3445247
Got Armageddon?

>> No.3447983

>>3446916
Crowns are just helms with no armor class. No there isn't a point.

MonsterLevel is an arbitrary internal stat that you can figure out 1 of 2 ways:
1) It's listed in the official cluebook
2) It is the bounty from a town hall for killing that creature divided by 100.

>> No.3448038

>>3447983
Ahh thanks, this explains it… What a peculiar system. I get that it came from board gaming, but I kinda dislike that such an important parameter is hidden.

By chance, do you know where to get the cluebook? Digital, of course.

Also, one more question: I saw a discussion on some board where, from what I understood, some user could see the exact number of his recovery stat. Is it possible to do in MM7 with GrayFace patch?

>> No.3448082

>>3448038
>By chance, do you know where to get the cluebook? Digital, of course.
No

> I saw a discussion on some board where, from what I understood, some user could see the exact number of his recovery stat. Is it possible to do in MM7 with GrayFace patch?
Right click your attack (both ranged and melee) in the stats tab of your character(s).

There is a hard cap of 30 for melee weapons and 5 for ranged weapons (it was 0 in the original release but Greyface upped it to 5).

>> No.3448098

>>3448082
I should add that MonsterLevel is basically a worthless stat that you shouldn't care about. The idea was that all the combined MonsterLevel of enemies you are fighting off at once should be less than your party's combined level. Knowing it is almost completely irrelevant unless you are trying to min/max.

>> No.3448103

>>3448082
> Right click your attack (both ranged and melee) in the stats tab of your character(s).
Ah I forgot about this, thanks.

I found this guide http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/143119-might-and-magic-vii-for-blood-and-honor/faqs/16858 which lists Attack stat for monsters. I checked and it doesn't seem to correspond with monster levels, judging by the number I just got from town hall. I wonder what it even means

>> No.3448175
File: 434 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 02.28.43.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3448098
Well, my goal is: I'm trying to understand a little bit better how to improve my defense and get hit by enemies less. Of course the obvious answer is, get higher AC for physical defense. But how high is enough? And what if the damage is not physical, but elemental (see pic)?

I just wanted to get the MonsterLevel for creatures like Titans, Dragons and Behemoths, to calculate a more optimal strategy/equipment. Of course I could play "blindly", but I got kind of sick of it.

I realized I got kind of fixated on maximizing my AC for my Sorcerer, because I got sick of him needing healing all the time. However, I noticed he got hit noticeably less times during my run through the Nighon maze after I had equipped him with 5 rings and several more accessories which all gave AC bonuses of around 12–17 each. So I needed to check if it was my imagination, because last time with AC of ~120 on level 60 or so the maze was a complete pain in the ass, for my whole party.

But now I'm running into pretty complicated formulas (take resistances for example, thank god GrayFace made a simplified table) or even completely hidden stats.

>> No.3448215

>>3448175
You're overthinking MM7 way too hard. Just level up light or dark magic and spam it everywhere.

>> No.3448223

>>3448215
this
get GM dark and spam sharpmetal and watch titans and dragons melt like butter

>> No.3448254

>>3448215
>>3448223
OK, but there are 2 problems:
1) for this run I chose light path
2) I have almost no mana by the time I cast several spells.

I'm a little desperate at this point. Am I doing it wrong? I have MMSC party. I gave GM Light only to my cleric yet, because I needed GM Air and Water first for my Sorcerer. But light magic really drains mana too damn fast, I cast the buffs and voila, half the SP of my cleric is gone. Did I have to give Light to the Sorcerer instead?

Yeah, I realized I could just exploit Lloyd's Beacon and recharge mana by warping to healers, but isn't it a bit cheap and also inconvenient? And also, does anything respawn/reset when I leave location? I guess not, but it still sounds a bit weird to do this.

I also though I could make Divine Power. But even then I run into problems: I barely get enough yellow reagents! Red ones are scattered everywhere, and I even have lots of blue shrooms with 50 power. But fuck if I know where to get yellow ones, they're scarce and drop from no one.

>> No.3448258

>>3448254
You still have clerics and sorcerers? Get some class promotions nigga.

>> No.3448265

>>3448258
No. Obviously, I got all the promotions long ago. Because otherwise, how would I get light magic?

>> No.3448446

>>3448254
No there aren't any respawns. You really don't need to spam light magic. The point of light magic is to have all your buffs up all the time and let your melee destroy absolutely everything. Paralyze if you get into trouble and destroy undead on liches.

If you have monks make sure you have enchanted some items of ~17 unarmed skill.

You should always heal after you cast your buffs. No, that isn't even remotely cheating or abusing.

I'm more curious as to what you are running into that are causing you problems. If you just charge into the Pit and attack things of course you will get destroyed.

You should always have regeneration on all characters. Preservation is also pretty nice when you have some characters with body building and some without, but it's not essential.

>> No.3448573

>>3448254
> lloyds beacon
> too cheap
> I dont want to cheese

this is might and magic, my man. leave the spreadsheets to the wizardry nerds

>> No.3448659

>>3448175
>Blood Titans
You realize the point of that quest is to ignore them and just grab the bow right? The instadeath should have been a dead giveaway.

Blood Titans are arguably the hardest monsters in the entire game.

>> No.3448701

>>3445247

The trick to beat gen. Kendall is to:

1) Have 8 trained heroes at the start (from prev scenario), who can hold their own when scouting the map

2) Gather an army from multiple cities, combine different factions for a massive strikeforce.

Then you have a vastly superior force at the end of the week.

Also I once managed to dimension door when he was away and take the castle for free.

>> No.3448710

>>3448701

*on the final week

>> No.3449384

>>3448659
> You really don't need to spam light magic.
That's good to know. It just doesn't have spread shot-style spells like Shrapmetal.

> destroy undead
When I got light magic, I tried this in the wine cellar in Tatalia. Weirdly, it failed several times on female necromancers. Aren't they considered undead?

> If you have monks make sure you have enchanted some items of ~17 unarmed skill.
Got that already, plus Armsmaster and Dodging.

> You should always heal after you cast your buffs. No, that isn't even remotely cheating or abusing.
Yeah, I kinda realized that. Losing 150 SP is no joke, especially without a druid.

> I'm more curious as to what you are running into that are causing you problems.
Arena quest. Optionally, kill Titans for loot in their castle. Also, wanted to go to the Pit and finally fry everyone there with Prismatic Light. Without visiting a healer it was hard, understandably.

> You should always have regeneration on all characters.
I see little point in it, it's pretty slow, isn't it? Does it drain the caster's mana? Anyway, I'd rather Power Heal once than cast Preservation 4 times. Maybe I'm wrong but casting spells 4 times in a row is just tedious.

>>3448573
Well, I'm on my second run. I don't want to feel like the game's essential mechanics are hidden from me.

>>3448659
I do. I got GM Invisibility and cleared the castle long time ago.

What I wanted to try is kill everyone there. Titans are not very hard really, if you have Protection from Magic and Mind/Air resistance. The point is, it's just tedious right now, every Titan takes too long to kill. I kill a few, then I run out of mana for healing.

What's much harder IMO is facing packs of Liches at once, because of all the dark magic, Pain Reflection and the fucking Dragon Breath. I can't just buff my way through them. And Destroy Undead hits only one target, if it hits (see the second paragraph of my comment).

>> No.3449542

Does anyone know where I can get enough yellow reagents in M&M7 for cheap? Power doesn't matter.

I remember there's a very convenient crate in Harmondale full of blue roots. Same goes for red petals. What about yellow flowers? Can't find them anywhere.

>> No.3449596

>>3449542
General store?

>> No.3449680

>>3449596
Yep, but unfortunately they always have 1-2 of them. I need at least 3 for every Divine Power potion. I'd also like to do some resistance potions, because from what I understand they stack with the resistance spells

>> No.3449893
File: 434 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 20.19.43.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favorite interior shot from the game

"—God damn it, Isra! Make a move already.

—OK, OK, I think I'll move the Queen. Wait, no… Let me think it over…"

>> No.3449894

>>3449893
>Isra playing strip chess
Boner

>> No.3449918

>>3449894
It's interesting: is the floor made of skulls? These are too round to be stones. That's quite a lot of skulls, even for necromancers. I guess things were going swell with Archibald in charge

>> No.3450009

So in the end I went to the Pit and cleared out the first hall. It was easier than I thought. At first I spammed Prismatic Light, then there were only few toughest enemies left, so I just walked up to them and killed them in melee.

Was it worth it? Not really, aside for the exp. The drop was complete shit. Got only 100–200 gold from each corpse and just 2 crappy items—I expected much more. I wouldn't even bother with this, but going there in the night time to shop was a pain the ass since everyone blocked my way and tried to Dragon Breath me. Wanted to finally get better wares.

Also, I thought going to the Temple of the Sun was not advised on the light path. But when I entered it, the clerics attacked me—and that's AFTER I gave them their shitty Season's Stole.

Also, my reputation in the Pit didn't drop a bit. Doesn't make much sense, really

>> No.3450178

Are there any side-effects of wearing Cloak of the Sheep, except for -20 INT and PER, or is the description just a joke?

> The cloak worn by the High Priest of Baa. Though useful, it seems to sap the will of the wearer slowly away.

Some games have cursed items which can fuck you up and then you can't unequip them.

>> No.3450365

I'm doing the arena quest in M&M7 (Cavalier to Champion promotion), and I think it is THE hardest one in the entire game. I'm really glad I didn't pick a knight for my light path run; because otherwise, I'd be stuck with a cavalier for very, very long.

First of all, you have to travel to the arena, every fucking time. You can't teleport there or even leave a beacon there. You have to wait for a Sunday to come, every time. Then travel there from the stables in Harmondale. But when you do arrive, you can't save there. So you can't even cast buffs beforehand. Moreover: it's one battle per visit. You'll have to travel there 5 times, and wait for Sunday every time. Guess on which day you come back to Harmondale? Monday. Yep.

You'd think that at least the fights would be pretty easy, since it's a promotion quest and those aren't THAT hard, right?…

Nope. The first time I entered, the opponents were: 2–3 red behemoths, several priests of dark with Shrapmetal, and tons of other creatures I didn't even get to see before they killed my whole party. I got pretty much the same the second time. Third time I cast all of the buffs and prepared for the worst, only to be surrounded from all sides by 4 masters of the sword and vampires, while being shot from distance by other creatures. Almost instantly locked and beaten to death.

On my sixth time there, I got really lucky, in comparison: there were 3 red dragons, which weren't really a problem with Day of Protection.

That's how I won once. That's it. You have to go back to Harmondale, every time you win. You have to wait a whole other week just to go to the arena.

It's like a very evil joke… I'm not kidding—my whole party is pretty strong, all characters have AC of at least 200, fully promoted, with all necessary GMs there. All the best equipment, tons of enchanted items—minotaurs or titans are not a big problem to me at this point. But arena is. Fuck this shit.

>> No.3450370

>>3450365
The arena monsters scale with level don't they? You should've done that quest early in the game.

>> No.3450382

>>3450370
What?! Haven't heard about this… Oh fuck.

I thought they only varied depending on difficulty level.

>> No.3450390

>>3450370
Yeah, I checked, and it's turned out to be true… Well, could be worse.

Someone had a genius idea though: you can actually cast invisible before you start. This should make things much easier and let me run to the corner or some other advantageous position. Or at least assess the enemy forces and reload if they're too strong.

>> No.3450402

has this thread pretty much moved on to M&M

>> No.3450403

>>3450402
No one is stopping you from discussing HoMM, its a thread for both.

>> No.3450405

>>3450402
This might blow your mind but the people who discuss M&M also play HoMM. Stop being a bitch and post something about HoMM if you want it to be discussed.

>> No.3450470

>>3450402
I am the guy who spams most M&M7 questions here. I discuss and play both HoMM and M&M. There simply isn't that much discussion about HoMM going on right now.

Also, HoMM has its own wiki and a huge community still playing the game competitively. Moreover, the series is still technically active with Heroes VII and RoE HD Edition.

M&M, on the other hand, has incomparably smaller community, and the series has gone very low-profile since Ubisoft's acquisition of the franchise. All of the mainline games of the series are retro now, and they fit the /vr/ theme even better than HoMM (Might and Magic 1 came out in 1986).

>> No.3450473

>>3449384
No, Necromancers are alive. Really. There is a whole storyline about the Necromancers being short on soul jars and fearing that they will die a real death due to aging.
>Arena quest. Optionally, kill Titans for loot in their castle. Also, wanted to go to the Pit and finally fry everyone there with Prismatic Light. Without visiting a healer it was hard, understandably.

If you hate hit and run, you won't enjoy The Pit. The idea is basically town portal in, Paralyze and destroy undead on everything in the first room, heal, portal back, go to the next room and repeat. Abuse the walls. They are there for a reason.

>I see little point in it, it's pretty slow, isn't it? Does it drain the caster's mana? Anyway, I'd rather Power Heal once than cast Preservation 4 times. Maybe I'm wrong but casting spells 4 times in a row is just tedious.
No, it's free aside from the original cast and actually heals quite a bit for a passive spell. Preservation is partywide once you get spirit skill up.

>What I wanted to try is kill everyone there.
It's not really worth it, but as long as you have protection from magic GM it isn't really hard, just tedious. What's really nasty about Titans are that EACH spark has an instadeath chance.

>What's much harder IMO is facing packs of Liches at once, because of all the dark magic, Pain Reflection and the fucking Dragon Breath.
Queens of the Dead are a pain. You have two options, Paralyze or Dispel Magic the Pain Reflection and blow them up. Preservation + regeneration will help you with those dragon breath spells. No one ever dies and eventually your healer will come back. Stop trying to fight more than 2 at a time.

>> No.3450508

>>3450365
They do, but unless you waited until you are higher than level 40, it still isn't hard. Sure you may need a couple reloads if you get a bad enemy set, but it isn't hard.

Also about the only Sunday thing, it takes 4 days to travel. Then you train 3 levels and it's Sunday again. Repeat 4 times. Alternatively, hire an explorer and just use the exit inside the Arena which takes 4 days coming back.

>> No.3450509

>>3450402
>>3450470
Also, it's the same reason why we don't have Starcraft threads in here: Heroes III is a competitive, technical game, still played today. If someone has a question about strategy and actual gameplay, there are simply better places to search, from Heroes III wiki and Heroes Community to Russian sites and Twitch.

And if they like the lore, they often go deeper and play M&M. Interestingly, a lot of the discussion here has been about Heroes II, perhaps because it's more "retro" but also because it's not played online nearly as much.

>> No.3450527

>>3450473
>No, Necromancers are alive. Really. There is a whole storyline about the Necromancers being short on soul jars and fearing that they will die a real death due to aging.
Holy crap, so liches and queens of the dead aren't considered undead?! But then, isn't Destroy Undead pretty much useless?

> If you hate hit and run, you won't enjoy The Pit.
Yeah, well, I have already cleaned it out. See >>3450009

> Then you train 3 levels
But I didn't get even 1 level. I'm at level 50 now

> Alternatively, hire an explorer
Yeah, I've thought about this. Also, does Town Portal work from inside the arena? I kinda forgot to check which was a dumb thing to do.

>> No.3450531

>>3450527
Liches and Vampires are undead. Necromancers/Speakers of the Dead/Queens of the Dead are not.

>Also, does Town Portal work from inside the arena? I kinda forgot to check which was a dumb thing to do.
Yes, Lloyd's Beacon is b& but that should be obvious.

>> No.3450559

>>3450531
Thanks. Looks like Queens will remain my biggest problem. What confused me was their white, corpse-like skin. Liches are bad too, but I had better luck with them.

What confuses me is: how does Pain Reflection work? What does it affect, physical/melee/magic damage or all of the above? And does it return 100% of the damage taken? Because if it does, it sounds ridiculously OP. At least I can cast Dispel Magic pretty fast, but still the possibility of taking a full barrage of my own blows to my own face sounds kinda dangerous

>> No.3450563

>>3450402
Lots of people play both. Ask some questions or make some comments and get responses. Saying hey we need to talk about HoMM isn't going to drive discussion.

>>3450559
Pain reflection is a bitch. It's 100% of magic damage. I'm not sure on physical, but it's much less.

>> No.3450573

>>3450563
> Pain reflection is a bitch. It's 100% of magic damage. I'm not sure on physical, but it's much less.
So if I hit them with Prismatic Light, they return all the damage to my caster? I noticed though that fighting them in melee didn't really kill me like it should have.

It's ridiculous—I can't find any info on this spell anywhere. I am constantly running into lack of information about the game. I check several big FAQs and sites like Mike's RPG Shrine and still find nothing…

>> No.3450592

>>3450559
If you weren't aware of the fighting going in in Deyja, I suggest you check out the History section. It's the rightmost book in your menu right above the game options button.

>>3450573
If you really need to know it, I would probably ask Greyface himself or drop a post on Celestial Heavens, but that would likely take a few days for a response. Most people don't care enough unless it's a game blocking issue.

You find out really fast that pain reflection sucks when you walk in and attempt to cast a high level destroy undead on Lich Kings.

>> No.3450629
File: 276 KB, 600x858, Creature-Quest-battle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, apparently, JVC finally made a press release of his new game, Creature Quest… Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/BKlKITPfFqE . He also gave an interview about it: http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/15/creature-quest-is-one-big-nod-to-its-creators-first-world-might-and-magic/

Graphics-wise, looks exactly like all the current games in this genre. I tried to delve into the specifics, but didn't understand much. Looks like average puzzle/RPG/whatever game, not really like Heroes and not really like M&M.

I'll play it if I get a chance, but something tells me I won't like it much.

>> No.3450639

>>3450629
>Mobile game
>Good
Doubtful at best

>> No.3450651
File: 300 KB, 500x500, 1458251370931.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3450629
>Even JVC went into blizzardesque artstyle

>> No.3450665
File: 100 KB, 1080x603, creature quest manticore.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3450639
What puts me off already is kittens and big-eyed characters like in ever CGI cartoon nowadays.

Also, the game has its currency, like the rest of them, which you can buy for moneys, but JVC promises it's not necessary. He also says someone who worked with him back in NWC is responsible for audio and music for the game. Many creatures similar to M&M there, too.

I want to believe, but my vomiting reflex for mobile games is too strong.

>> No.3450683

>>3450651
To be honest, it's just like with every mobile game—pretty inconsistent and just copying what sells. You have big-eyed kittens here together with WoW/StarCraft graphics, super-duper-oversaturated colors to make your eyes bleed, and everything is drawn by some very average artist at best. It lacks personality and any zest.

I want to hope that JVC just settled for this to make a good game… But I'm not really sure about this.

>> No.3450690

>>3450683
If you read the interview he is embracing it because he likes the small development teams.

>> No.3450696
File: 194 KB, 331x327, manly-tears-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3450683
I hope he just needs monies to make some good game

>> No.3450697
File: 115 KB, 1080x603, behelisk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3450690
Yeah, but I am trying to understand: is he making it because he has nowhere else to go, or did he choose it solely because he wanted it.

Oh, by the way, picrelated is what behemoth looks like in the game. We hydralisk now.

>> No.3450701

>>3450697
Is he making this game in China or something?

>> No.3450718

>>3450701
> Our first partner was Tencent, who invested in us, in our A round last year

> VC Mobile Entertainment is located in Los Angeles, California.

>> No.3450726

>>3450718
>China investing now in USA

Horrible times we live in

>> No.3450729

>>3450696
He got 4.5 mln from investors

Picrelated is another piece of artwork. It's ironic the game look more like Heroes VII now. But I like the look of Angels, if everything in the game looked like this I might even play it

>> No.3450742

>>3450726
SNK is owned by Chinese now. Also making mobile games. The end is nigh

>> No.3450745
File: 99 KB, 1080x603, Unknown-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's a Gorgon, looks kinda stupid

>> No.3450750

>>3450745
Doesn't look all that different from the ones in MM8 aside from the solid coat.

>> No.3450751

>>3450745
>>3450697
>>3450665
jeez JVC, can't let the past go can you

>> No.3450756
File: 101 KB, 1080x603, treant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's Treant, looks like Dendoid

That's all for more interesting pictures. Overall, I guess they went for an overall direction like in early M&M games: weak monsters are cute/funny, strong ones are more realistic. After all, HoMMI–II and M&MIII–V were cartoonish.

The problem is, it's nearly indistinguishable from Clash of Clans and other similar shitty mobile games. The only thing that can possibly save it is the good gameplay, but it's hindered by all the shortcomings of mobile.

I highly doubt anything anywhere deep will live on mobile. JVC thinks he got an auditory of millions of gamers, but he only got millions of casuals.

>> No.3450760

>>3450751
Hmmmmm you know what?! I just realized this:

Mighty no. 9
Yooka-Laylee
Bloodstained
Shenmue III

JVC has joined the list.

>> No.3450763

>>3450750
Well I mean it's just silly/joke character now. But yeah, the similarity is quite obvious. How many games with Gorgons do you know?

>> No.3450771

>>3450629
Is this another crappy cookie clicker? Why do mobile games have to suck ass?

>> No.3450772
File: 105 KB, 1080x603, spider.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

People who have played M&M7 will find this one familiar

>> No.3450775

>>3450771
looks like some P&D clone

>> No.3450781

>>3450772
The first room in The Lincoln is horrible.

>More than 10 monsters with multiple ranged attacks
>You come in with wetsuits
>Your hirelings are gone but still take their cut of your gold

>> No.3450783
File: 119 KB, 1080x603, genie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This one is obvious but just in case someone didn't see it

>> No.3450790

>>3450781
Joke's on you, I don't use hirelings

But yeah. Few other RPGs ask you to remove all your equipment "for a check-up".

Also, how the fuck are sharks more powerful then dragons?…

>> No.3450807

>>3450790
They aren't. You just don't have any equipment and are forced to shoot them with blasters. If you go inside the Lincoln, cast your buffs, and go back outside the harks are easy (although debuffs are annoying).

>> No.3450813

>>3450807
Yeah, probably.

Is it true there's a NWC dungeon near Lincoln? Only read about it once.

>> No.3450816

>>3450813
If you get the temple in a bottle (which is in a chest under a sunken ship to the east) and use it you get sent to the NWC dungeon. Unlike the one in MM6 there really isn't anything there.

>> No.3450821

>>3450816
>Unlike the one in MM6 there really isn't anything there.
Oh well. I'm feeling kinda hesitant on ending the game just yet… Feels really disappointing that my whole run is gonna end pretty soon with no quests to complete. Of course, that means only more stimuli to start another one, but still.

>> No.3450829

>>3450821
If I remember right the only highlights are JVC is a Blaster Guy and there is a lost key from the Free Haven Sewers.

There's another NWC dungeon in MM8 as well but it also has basically nothing in it. You get the ashes from the tomb in Ravenshore and then click on the giant sword in the Plane between Planes (The joke here is of course the NWC logo is a sword piercing the world).

>> No.3450842
File: 461 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 13.12.14.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3450829
Heh, nice. I thought that since it was called "dungeon", it would be full of monsters/loot. But looks like it's more of an easter egg

JVC never was shy of appearing in his games it seems

>> No.3450870

>>3450842
>no women in your party
patriarchal scum

>> No.3450880

>>3450870
>Leaving an elven woman with 2 goblins and a dwarf
>>>/tg/
>>>/h/

>> No.3450886

>>3450880
might and magic elves aren't harlots, except for the dark elves in 8

>> No.3450948
File: 136 KB, 640x481, trolltomb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

can anyone versed in trollspeak calligraphy make out anything from this?

>> No.3450960

>>3450948
it says allah is gay

>> No.3451495

>My best rating is Rust Dragon from a 200% XL random map + strong monsters
How the hell do I get Azure Dragon? I thought this is the hardest you can get?

>> No.3451609

>>3451495
make all the AI be on the same team and finish the map fast

>> No.3451794

Has anyone tried out the mods for MM6 and 7 on grayface's page? Are they worth having a look?

>> No.3451841
File: 260 KB, 639x480, JUST.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

JUST
FUCK
MY
CAMPAIGN
UP

Why is this allowed? ;_;

>> No.3451946

>>3451794
I never got the point of those.

I already have to keep a shitton of the game information in my head, from teacher locations to equipment/monster stats. If a mod "rebalances" some of it, I automatically will have to re-learn a lot of things. Moreover: no FAQ will help me to play these mods. It's fine if the changes are mostly small fixes of obvious holes and bugs—see GrayFace's fix of Haste spell and zero recovery; but otherwise, if it's a complete rebalance, I'd much rather stick to the vanilla version. What will I discuss with people? "Oh yeah, I beat MM6, but I played it with a mod which makes paladins much weaker, so I guess I can't help you guys, haha!".

As for the additional quests/scenarios… You know, I'd just much rather stick to the original game. It was made by pros, including JVC himself. I highly doubt the quests and the plot made by fans will live up to the original, made by a few seasoned devs over the course of several months or even years.

Don't get me wrong—if you have run through 6–8, know the games inside out and you're still hungry for more, of course I guess you'd be glad there is a modding community to the game. But otherwise? Why would you honestly bother with those mods when you have other canonical games left?

Last but not least, what if I can't delete the mod? Keeping 2 different games is annoying too.

>> No.3451983

Is it important to play/beat Heroes II to fully enjoy M&M6? I have played it, but not for too long. I know the plot of the game in a nutshell (Roland VS Archibald, Roland won and turned his brother into a statue).

>> No.3452008

>>3451983
Nah you'll be fine. Just read the manual for background info.

>> No.3452032

>>3452008
Thanks

I hope it's not like the M&M7 manual. It starts with Archibald's journal, where he talks in length about Enroth and him returning from being stoned. When I began the game, I barely even knew it would have any HoMM2 characters. So I read through the whole thing thinking, "who was this guy, again?…".

>> No.3452059
File: 59 KB, 204x131, gorgon.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Made a gif of a gorgon from M&M8 since I don't see many gifs from the game out there

>> No.3452069
File: 310 KB, 639x480, elven interracial.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3450870
That feel when I play team RPGs I always make equal numbers of fems and men. I always imagine them as two swingers couples
that have nice times during camps
Is it good?

>> No.3452080

>>3452069
Dwarf and goblin women are fugly though

Now that I know that there's little difference between races gameplay-wise, I will only pick humans or elves next time.

>> No.3452091
File: 67 KB, 163x181, qtpies.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3452080
>Dwarf and goblin women are fugly

What!?

>> No.3452131

>>3452091
top–left: Laquisha
top-right: female Jaws
bottom left and right: literally same face, different hair. Often not allowed in theme park rides

>> No.3452137

>>3452131
you are weird

>> No.3452158

Anyone else really love MM 8? Out of the 6-8 trilogy, I have played it was more times than 6 and 7. The dungeons are nowhere near as good as 6, but they are way better and longer than 7. Plus, it was a nice return to nonlinear gameplay, unlike 7 which was way too linear. Also, pretty much every class was decent, unlike 7 which has totally gimped out classes (druid, ranger).

Plus it had the best loot out of the trilogy as well.

>> No.3452203

>>3452158
>Also, pretty much every class was decent
I think necromancers are way too potent and somewhat must-have (GM alchemy, elemental, dark, meditation). Not to mention the party system meaning that you will have that ugly starter necro with you for most of the time.

>> No.3452204

>>3452158
It had some nice settings, I really liked the endgame area, Plane between Planes, felt eerie to explore.

>> No.3452223

How long does it take to get through the first few M&M games? I wanted to be hardcore and play from M&M1 but while it's fun I'm thinking I'm in over my head.

>> No.3452262

>>3452223
Keep in mind that M&M1–2 don't have auto-map. You will need quite additional programs to do that

>>3452158
I liked the graphics, it was even more colorful than the other games. Felt almost like Sonic games—really bright, lively, and set in tropics.

I only slightly fear of going back to it after playing it when I was 12 or so—mostly because I remember there was some complicated system of recruiting characters, and my friend showed me how I could recruit a lvl 50 char somewhere (is that right?…).

>> No.3452271

>>3452137
Why? Because I don't like green-skinned or midget women?

>> No.3452325

>>3452271
yeah, weirdo

>> No.3452386
File: 100 KB, 500x500, shibe no.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3452325
You can have them buddy, I'll pass

>> No.3452431

Open up M&M7 FAQ

> 1. Might- Might is the statistic that rates your strength. It is the biggest stat for Knights and Paladins.
> It is useful for moving heavy objects, pulling objects from other objects, or even opening certain doors but mainly it affects the damage your character does when you hit a monster in hand-to-hand combat.

Wat??…

>> No.3452432

>>3452262
M&M2 has an automap you just need a character trained in cartography.

>> No.3452440

>>3452432
Oh, I see

I just read HG101 article and it said that automap appeared from 3 onwards, so I assumed before it there wasn't one

>> No.3452462

Archibald is a weird fellow

> Return from being stoned in Antagarich
> "Hey where did everybody go"
> The remains of necromancers' guild went to Enroth
> Ah, fuck Antagarich, let's go there
> See the guild is in poor shape after his absence
> Become it's head again
> "I am the rightful king of Enroth"

How so?… I mean, OK, he was a son of the ruler of Antagarich. But how can he have a "rightful" claim to the throne of Enroth? Beats me.

>> No.3452586
File: 429 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 00.08.54.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's a thing I've been wondering about for a while in M&M7: weapons with "of flames" and other similar enchantments. They're supposed to deal additional points of fire/body/etc damage.

How is this kind of damage counted, as that of a spell or a physical attack? I.e., is it affected by resistances or AC?

>> No.3452625
File: 17 KB, 370x278, 123609.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3452462
he was the king of Enroth in HoMM II though

>> No.3452632
File: 6 KB, 78x65, Forgetfulness.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3452625
Wait, shit… I mixed up Antagarich with Enroth again. My bad.

Enroth just sounds too much like "Erathia"

>> No.3452634
File: 546 KB, 1286x988, archibald did nothing wrong.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3452625

>> No.3452706
File: 236 KB, 900x900, 1459324731256.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> Have 2 monks
> Find Hands of the Master
> +10 Unarmed skill
> +10 Dodging skill
> MFW skill bonuses for artifacts and normal items actually do stack

>> No.3452721

>>3451841
Got any spells?
His Boners aren't attacking first and he already Steelskinned them.
Respond with Mass Slow, or jiust slowing his Boners.
Blackies will attack Halflings or Titans because of their ranged status. Attack them with the unit you don't care that much about to take off their retal and then pile up on them. The slowed Boners should not have a chance to reach your line - pray that the computer won't Haste or Dispel, it is likely to instead put Disrupting Ray [AI's favourite spell for some reason] on someone.

After that just keep slowing the Boners and whittle them down is all I can tell you.

What map?
Maybe you need to gather army faster?

>> No.3453243

>>3452223
If you have a guide handy, it's not bad. If you want to do it through real exploration, it can easily be months.

>>3452440
It's a very basic automap that ignores things like secret doors, but without it MM1 is near unplayable without a separate window open to a walkthrough.

>>3451794
The only mods worth playing at this point are The Chaos Conspiracy for MM6 and Rev4 for MM7.

>> No.3453258

How do you guys manage to win XH and G maps in Heroes 3?

>> No.3453558

>>3452634
Make Enroth Great Again

>> No.3453767

>>3452721
Will try, but don't think I can make it, lol. It's the final campaign of "Price of Loyalty" expansion pack. I thought I'm doing pretty well, until I ran into this faggot and his dragons.

>> No.3453778

>>3452721
>>3453767
Tried it exactly how you described, managed to kill like 15 black and 20 bone dragons. I'm going to restart this scenario and act quicker.

>> No.3453805
File: 39 KB, 400x282, 1463855904072.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>In the hospital again
>Only option with my limited data is to emulate the gameboy port

>> No.3453918

>>3453805
???
What system do you use? Could at least play some old M&M maybe

>> No.3453967

An average android phone.
I have an attachable controller if that matters

>> No.3454003

>>3453967
I see versions of M&M2 and 3 are available as abandonware. They are 790KB and 3MB respectively. If there's a decent DOS emulator on Android you could play them

GBC Heroes games suck, you'd be better off if you just try other good games from its library.

>> No.3454334 [DELETED] 

Hm, never seen scorpicores in M&M7 before. Got several of them in arena

>> No.3454358
File: 419 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 21.51.04.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hm, never seen scorpicores in M&M7 before. Got several of them in arena

>> No.3454449

Any tips for M&M7 on the tunnel to Eofol? It's not that it's hard, but I remember it lasted hours upon hours. Is there a way to find a good route?

>> No.3454473

>>3454003
He could play HoMM2 with DOSbox on his android phone.

>> No.3454552

>>3438018
what's a good one to start with? I loved legend of grimrock 1 and 2 but my pc now can't run either.

I don't necessarily like primitive systems, but I like systems that make you feel like you're surviving. the only reason I don't prefer new games is that they bleed potions out of the ears and you never feel threatened

>> No.3454570

>>3454552
MM6 of course

>> No.3454587

>>3454552
Start with M&M3.

>> No.3454672

>It's a campaign mission where you start off with 3 or more towns

Am i the only one that gets triggered by this?

Can't build creature dwellings in the side towns because it doesn't start with a fort. It would be a waste to build it instead of rushing dwellings in your main town. So it just becomes a gold mine that you have to guard so the AI won't fucking snatches it and suddenly guard it with it's life.

>> No.3454675

>>3454672
I'm shit at the game so the extra gold helps but I always end up underutilizing the side towns.

>> No.3454681

>>3454675
Unless those 2 extra towns come with 2 heroes of their own they're useless to me.

>> No.3454712

>>3454552
To be real honest with you, at least Might and Magic 6–8 are not dungeon crawlers and certainly not survival games—these games even have real-time combat, although you can use turn-based mode too like in previous games. They favor exploration, quest completion and strategy (party building and development). Not to mention the plot, game's world and atmosphere.

(To give you the idea: the games have parties of 4–5 characters, and people are able to beat them with solo chars for challenge).

Now I haven't personally played games 1–5. But from what I've heard mostly 1 and 2 have been called grindy, and they might fit your criteria. That said, 3–5 already have a lot of plot and world exploration.

If you're looking for a pure dungeon crawler like Grimrock, then Wizardry or other games in the genre might be more down your alley. They have more brutal difficulty and concentrate purely on hack'n'slash, which M&M frankly isn't.

>> No.3454745
File: 1008 KB, 941x910, blobbers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3454712
Grimrock 2 is more of a puzzle game than dungeon crawler desu. The line between dungeon crawler and regular RPG is very murky anyways. Might and Magic definitely does focus a lot on going through all kinds of dungeons and the later Wizardry games are more than just combat with NPCs and dialogue. "blobber" is a better term to describe these kinds of RPGs where you are a party moving as a single entity.

>> No.3454754

>>3454745
Also Grimrock has real-time combat so I'm not sure why you made that distinction against MM when it comes to being a dungeon crawler.

>> No.3454957

>>3454449
For paths, basically stay left until you get to the part you have to jump over. You will run into a couple dead ends, but it's pretty straightforward.

You can cheese it with invisibility if you want to spend some time.

To do it honestly though just make sure you have protection from magic on. The medusa are a joke.
Light side: Kite them and dump ton of arrows. When they get close Paralyze. If you get overwhelmed, just jump back to the Tunnels to Nighon and the behemoths will reset their location. Once you are out of the first main hallway there isn't anything that should give you problems.
Dark Side: Shrapmetal. Lots and lots of Shrapmetal.

>>3454552
Start with 3 if you are ok with tile based games. Start with 6 if you just want HoMM background. Most people on /vr/ should start at 3.

>>3454672
Yes they are annoying, but it lets you build your main city dwellings AND get a capitol at the same time.

>> No.3454959

>>3454449
Forgot to add, to get to Eeofol tunnels take the entrance in Nighon that's just above the Master Alchemy trainer. The entrance from Thunderfist to Tunnels to Eeofol is the first exit on the right.

>> No.3455550

>>3454957
>For paths, basically stay left until you get to the part you have to jump over. You will run into a couple dead ends, but it's pretty straightforward.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted. Your advice will save me a lot of time.

As for combat, I don't think I will have much trouble this time… After I discovered what GM Enchant Item could do, I had little trouble in the game. I already know Behemoths' shtick is armor breaking, so I'll just harden items beforehand. In the worst case, I have GM Invisibility (thank god I didn't pick Druid this time), so unless the road gets blocked I'll be fine.

>> No.3455558
File: 2 KB, 320x200, akalabeth-DOS-11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3454754
>>3454745

Ah, OK. I myself haven't heard of the game, so I googled it, saw the square grid and assumed it was the return to Wizardry-style dungeon crawler.

> Might and Magic definitely does focus a lot on going through all kinds of dungeons
The anon said exactly this: "I like systems that make you feel like you're surviving". Honestly speaking, that's not what I've seen in the games I've played (M&M6–8). Of course you can manually set up a challenge for yourself—run solo or pick a party without healers. But otherwise the games are not too hard on the player.

>> No.3455576

>>3454672
> So it just becomes a gold mine that you have to guard so the AI won't fucking snatches it and suddenly guard it with it's life.
That's the main problem: Heroes 3 campaigns are known for their bullshit, unfortunately. Otherwise, having 2 more towns at the beginning is great.

>> No.3455734

>Playing Stronghold
>Gurnisson picked up a scholar
>He taught Necromancy
Well, that's new

>> No.3455963
File: 135 KB, 854x480, Screenshot_2016-08-27-16-27-48.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm getting that HoMM III feels lads.

>> No.3455973

>>3455963
>Those graphics
>I'm getting that HoMM I feels lads.
Fixed

>> No.3456068

>>3438018

How do I make the jump from Expert to Impossible in Homm3?

Unless something goes seriously wrong (usually related to someone on the other end of the map getting either the Grail or a combination artifact) I always win on Expert, any town, any hero, any map size, pretty easily.

And then I try to play maps on impossible and it's just like a punch to the gut. I can't hire an extra hero or two on the first day, I can't even scout all that effectively with only one guy. I can't always build the stuff I need to take out simple stacks, but if you wait, and you don't get that ball rolling, the AI just rolls over you.

I mean, I see a lot of people do it, but there's something I'm missing. Advice?

>> No.3456089

>>3456068
Magic arrow abuse. I tend to use a magic hero as my starter, especially if your faction has a +350 gold starter and then switch mains after you are around level 5.

On small maps with lots of players though it's very hard to play impossible, you have to build Castle ASAP and turtle until someone else's main walks in and feeds you exp.

>> No.3456140

>>3456068
>>3456089
Magic Arrow abuse is pretty good for early game. Either that, or you can go with a decidedly early game might hero; eschew your Crag Hack in favor of Gretchin, Tyraxor or Gurnisson, switch up Tazar with Korbac, Drakon, Bron, Broghild or Alkin, roll with Ivor instead of Mephala, etc. etc.

Recently I had a comfy one month romp on Elbow Room 200% with Solmyr/Tower and just abused CL and Magic Arrow for an easy win.

>> No.3456156

>>3456068
>>3456140
Some more tips:
>give your main only the fastest unit to get around and aim for that 2500 gold for either Town Hall, a second hero, or a Mage Guild

>aim for the highest tier unit you can; if you can get just Wyverns with Fortress or plain Cavaliers with Castle, you're grand

>preferrably play low maintenance towns; Dungeon will be very hard to get off the ground due to evil eye requirement, while Inferno has a surprisingly easy development as Efreeti dwelling has a pretty low cost

>do not neglect any free units or dwellings you can get. I know Gargoyle armies aren't optimal, but if you find a couple level 2 dwellings around your Tower and are strapped for cash, you might as well go for amassing them and upgrading them for some Master Gremlin support, for instance

>on random templates, you might want to prioritize gold piles over chests if you can only reach one or the other, because chests can sometimes pop up an artifact, and you don't need a Bird of Perception when scrambling for a Town Hall

>only get units you need; it's true for all difficulties, but especially stressed here.

>learn to fight small battles; do not negelct creature specialists; their +1 to speed can let you win a lot of battles without any losses, simply by outrunning slow walkers with tricky micro

>> No.3456213

>>3456089
>>3456140
>>3456156

To clarify, you generally pick your towns and heroes and possibly even starting bonuses when starting a new game? Because I at least had gotten used to just randomizing everything. Is that a luxury you can't afford on Impossible?

>> No.3456226

>>3456213
Sure you can play all random and win on Impossible, it's not that hard, but I figured that if you have problems, you might want to tailor your start just a tiny bit. Still, if you know how to micro small forces, you will be fine.

I do think that if you roll Piquedram, Straker, Ufretin or Lorelei - i.e. level 2 specialists in towns that badly rely on their level 1 units - you might want to consider a reroll.

>> No.3456236

>>3456213
>>3456226
And really, if you end up rolling. say, Dungeon with a mediocre hero in a poor shitty map, then just up your Trogs and Harpies and try your hardest to break out, and look for a better hero in tavern.

>> No.3456239

>>3456226

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a crack soon.

One last question actually. How to tell when you've fallen too far behind? I mean, I'm used to a certain curve of how quickly to clear things and how big of an army I "should" have by a given date. Is there any set of guidelines as to how good is good enough, and how much is "you're going too slow"?

>> No.3456635

>>3455963
Dude… There are just better GBC games than this one, a lot of them. Even for a HoMM fan.

>> No.3456956

>>3445709
there is a reason that in homm2, mass haste is lvl 3 spell, and mass slow is a lvl 4 spell

>> No.3456961

>>3451841
>not playing the game with the combat grid turned on
ISHIGGYDIGGY

>> No.3457270
File: 188 KB, 1280x960, HE HATES IT.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Enemy hero to complete the scenario has 30 attack
Ok this might not be that bad if I can keep them off me with mass slow and forgetfulness on the shooters.

>He has the orb of inhibition

>> No.3458025

>>3456635
Tell me more,cause I have realized how utter shit it is.

>> No.3458635

>>3458025
just emulate turn-based games on DOSbox fampai

>> No.3459049

>>3458025
Not strategies though and you'd better make a different thread for this, but here are some recs: Wario Land 3, GB Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land, Dragon Quest III, Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets (not kidding, this one is an insanely good RPG). Played all of these myself and can attest these are some of the finest games on the platform.

For other recs, see http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy_Color . One thing in particular I'd want to play from here is Mole Mania, made by Shigeru Miyamoto himself. I've heard great things about it, that it's nothing short of a hidden gem.

If you want something closer to Heroes and M&M, there's GameBoy Wars 2 and 3 (Advance Wars before it was popular), and also Wizardry 1, 2 & 3.

>> No.3459228

Playing MM6 right now, and I decided to try running two banker hirelings for extra money, is it just me or do their bonuses not stack?

>> No.3459242

>>3459228
I don't think the income bonuses stack. Get a town portal NPC

>> No.3459245

>>3459242
Yeah, that's what I was gonna fall back on if 2 bankers wouldn't work.

>> No.3459252

>>3459228
They don't. You can use banker/factor if you want, but duper/merchant actually make more gold.

>> No.3459262

>>3459049
For strategies, Warlocked is a Warcraft clone for GBC and it's actually really good

>> No.3459347
File: 110 KB, 221x223, 1463317642299.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> On the last stages of M&M7, light path
> Complete control cubes quest
> Hey, I haven't visited Clanker's Lab
> Go there
> Archibald has already barricaded there and there's literally no way you can enter (despite he even invites you to enter in his dialogue)
> TFW no Clanker's Amulet
> TFW no artifacts
> TFW no tons of reagents
JUST

>> No.3459354

>>3459347
Too bad Roland decided to be a pussy and let him live out the rest of his life, he should've stayed a statue.

>> No.3459910

>>3459347
The amulet is garbage. You can find better.
There is only 1 artifact that's guaranteed in there, and really there aren't any near mandatory artifacts in MM7 the way Morgan and Guenevere are in MM6.
Not having the reagents does suck though.

>>3459354
>he should've stayed a statue
Then you get the bad end in MM6 where the world goes boom. Roland and for that matter Nicolai were perfectly content leaving him a statue until the Oracle said otherwise.

>> No.3460343

>>3459910
> The amulet is garbage. You can find better.
Wait… Isn't it an artifact? Meaning, its skill bonus stacks with other equipment?

I already got +25 Alchemy skill ring. I was so hoping I could achieve +40

>> No.3460346
File: 66 KB, 635x600, 1408605493859.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Holy shit is the ogre alliance in heroes 2 powerful, i made the mistake of helping the necromancers and got brother shit on my side then gave up further in the campaign. Now i got the ogres and oh boy is is a smoother sailing.

>mfw 3 stacks of ogres around a hill fort

>> No.3460354

>>3460346
yeah you can literally beat the dragon utopia scenario in less than a week by grabbing the ogres, upgrading them and making a beeline for the utopia

>> No.3460357

>>3460354
thats kinda what i did, when i tried with necromancers i got my shit pushed in

is it like this with the good campaign and the dwarven alliance?

>> No.3460370

>>3460357
Kind of, though dwarves don't really push in as much shit as massed ogres do

I'm an Archibald guy anyway

>Archibald has the best castles (Sorceress and Knight both being lowest tier) and best bonuses (ogre and dragon alliance)
>canonically loses
Reeeee

>> No.3460389

>>3460370
I like castle because of the idea of a completely human army but jesus christ their units are crap, they dont even get higher numbers to compensate.
You can clear out alot of the map with a blackdragon but if you try to do the same with 5 paladins, you wont get far.

Atleast wining with inferno is possible just harder but this? Holy shit!

>> No.3460409

>>3460389
Knight is a really solid hero class and in the campaigns they are really cheap so it's easy to make a cheap fighting force, esp. if you claim more than one castle.

i.e. in the final mission campaign I would hire Sister Eliza for her initial high spellpower and then buy cheap Cavalry for Ultra Fast zooming around the map and beating everything with Magic Arrows and Lightning Bolts.

Warlock is top tier though, and I agree that Archi should have totally won. Then again, Lord Ironfist the Knight did win HOMM1 somehow.

>> No.3460768
File: 116 KB, 804x274, 1388231498198.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3460834

>>3460768
This isn't really as funny as it should be since early army is literally the only way you should be playing on higher difficulties.

>> No.3460852

>>3460834

Army fails if the monsters are set to strong. That's when you build some unit dwellings and start building up econony

>> No.3460874

>>3460852
Building a few unit dwellings then a city hall week 1 when you have excess gold but no resources is basically what you should always do. Rather than sitting around like an autist waiting until enough gold for a Capitol trickles up, which I assume "early economy" entails.

And strong monsters aren't really unmanageable unless it's artifact or zone guardians, though that also depends on your heroes and faction.

>> No.3460902

>>3460768
>>3460834
>>3460852
>>3460874
another retarded SP vs MP debate

>> No.3460903

>>3460902
That image should be updated to SP vs MP

>> No.3461112

>>3460409
I've always figured the reason Lord Ironfist won HoMM1 was because marketplaces didn't exist. If you don't get a sulfur mine early Sorcerer is completely fucked.

>>3460346
Yeah it's not just that that fact the Ogres are stupidly strong (60 hp) and easy to upgrade, you also get all the dwarves auto-fleeing. There is no reason to do the Necromancer alliance.

>> No.3461125
File: 412 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 22.29.57.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Arena in M&M7 even has sharks

When they die they float belly up in the air

>> No.3461127

>>3461125
Yes, they are so much easier when you can cast spells and use equipment other than just Blasters to kill them.

>> No.3461154

>>3461127
I realized what makes them seem tough. They have physical resistance of 30/40/50, also they are immune to water. However, their other resistances are at zero, so taking them out with spells is easy.

By the way, it's a bit weird how in M&M7 so many monsters can shoot. From elementals which were pure melee creatures in HoMM3 to sharks.

>> No.3461378
File: 56 KB, 512x320, mmwox-maca.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's really sad that most Western RPGs aren't nearly as colorful as M&M series, especially nowadays. I remember back in 7th grade or so, I had just played M&M8 and decided to try Fallout 2 and Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. I was unpleasantly surprised just how bleak and colorless these games were—especially the latter. It's kinda ironic both series got successful sequels and now pretty much determine the direction for all other games.

I used to think this was a modern trend, until I saw Elder Scrolls I. I swear I've never seen an old game looking THAT dull. It's all just unending strips of grey and brown, simply depressing to look at.

At least Diablo did it right. It was dark, but it had colorful monsters and details. I think it had great look, despite I'm not a big fan of Blizzard games in general. Great juxtaposition of bright monsters and effects with grim bleak surroundings.

It's not necessarily about having oversaturated colors. It's just that coloring everything into a shade of brown makes the game look so depressing.

>> No.3461480

>>3461378
Fallout 2 does take place entirely in a desert and is heavily influenced by Mad Max

>> No.3461612

>>3461480
Well, I can't argue with this. It had some well-designed locations and armors too. But still, just google "Fallout 2" and look at the screenshots. They're ALL brown and gray, and I wish I was kidding. They all look like sepia photos.

No, I get it: it was inspired by Mad Max, so that's not unexpected. But first, Mad Max is a 2-hour movie, not a 30+ hour video game. Second, Mad Max does not look as dull. Everything in Fallout 2 is uniformly brown (terrain) or grey (objects). That's 2 major "colors" for the whole game, if you even count gray as color. Since it's top-down view, you don't even see the sky which makes it even more depressing.

It's a tradition in other games to have varieties of settings. From Mario and Sonic, to Might and Magic and other RPGs, games tried to have different worlds—grass, desert, ocean, ice, lava, etc. Or at least have some color variety if it's a game with a single theme. But Fallout 2 is all brown wastelands, or tech bases which couldn't be any grayer. So much for the 16-bit color depth, millions of colors, hundreds of different hues, etc.

It's like they were trying to make the game look as boring and dull as possible.

>> No.3461643
File: 307 KB, 640x480, mm6-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm a bit hesitant on starting MM6.

I really liked that MM7 had a lot of the monsters I remembered from HoMM3, like elementals, titans, harpies, gargoyles, wights, etc., etc.

But I saw a few MM6 screenshots… I barely recognized any monsters from them. Maybe I looked at the wrong places? I don't know. But even if it's set in Enroth, I barely can link it with HoMM2. All I saw was ugly-faced goblins, generic mage dudes with staves, and other creatures I've never even met in any Heroes installments.

Is it just me?

>> No.3461649

>>3461643
How do you feel about there only being 6 classes, less skills, only one race and no GM skill level?

>> No.3461708

>>3461649
Well, I'm going to miss monks. Thiefs and rangers? Not so much, especially the latter. Also, I am currently running with 2 monks, so I kinda want to try other things. I realized I didn't use knights' full potential.

Less skills… Haven't delved into it yet. But not like 7 had a shortage of them. No GM doesn't exactly mean it's worse; it's simply 3 levels of expertise instead of 4. Less races? Honestly, they don't matter nearly as much as I thought in MM7, so I'd only pick humans on my next run.

From what I've read, MM6 is supposedly very good and has great dungeons. In any case—it was made by the same team, and I'm yet to see someone who thinks it was objectively much worse than MM7 and 8. I see people playing and liking both games.

>> No.3461725

>>3461708
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply MM6 was worse for having less skills and classes, no GM or only Humans, just that it was different. And yeah the dungeons are better.

>> No.3461763
File: 4 KB, 256x224, 1403672537035.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How should my stat distribution look like in MM6?
Some dude recommended it to me on /v/, but I haven't played many WRPGs.

>> No.3461776

>>3461725
Honestly, I'm all for human-only parties. I see absolutely no reason to bother with different races in MM7, if only for different portraits. It makes sense story-wise, since Antagarich is inhabited by different races, and the conflict between elves and humans is in the central point of the story. But otherwise, their tiny bonuses/advantages all vanish after several hours of gameplay. I used to read "race X is makes best Y class characters", it's about as good of an advice as "eat carrots for better vision".

I assume MM6 is a different look on more or less the same game engine. Like a mod, except it's designed by the original creators and with full effort by professional staff.

>> No.3461778

>>3461763
It really doesn't matter, as long as you have enough hp. Get everyone at least 18 endurance (I usually get 21).
Clerics/Paladins should raise Personality
Archers/Sorcerers should raise Intellect
Anything left should go to Accuracy or Speed
Reduce your luck as low as it goes. There is a fountain in the first city that has 8 charges of +2 luck permanent up to 15 (and resets every week or so).

For MM6 your first goal is to get bows. After you turn the letter in head right to Castle Ironfist. You can turn the letter in to the regent and get 5k which is enough to buy bows and bow skill for everyone (both are on the ground level by the stables). From there you can head back to New Sorpigal if you want.

Stats don't scale well. Once you are at 50, you can basically ignore them.

>> No.3461786 [DELETED] 

>>3461778
>Accuracy or Speed
That should be Accuracy or Might. Bows are so slow the speed stat isn't really relevant early. You should consider getting 1 person to 15 might. You can use the fountain in New Sorpigal to hit 25 and pull out the sword on the hell. Also reduce stats that are useless (Personality is useless for Sorcerers).

>>3461776
I always pick up at least 1 dwarf for the Forge Gauntlets.

>> No.3461793 [DELETED] 

>>3461778 (You)
>Accuracy or Speed
That should be Accuracy or Might. Bows are so slow the speed stat isn't really relevant early. You should consider getting 1 person to 15 might. You can use the fountain in New Sorpigal to hit 25 and pull out the sword on the hill. Also reduce stats that are useless (Personality is useless for Sorcerers).

>>3461776
I always pick up at least 1 dwarf for the Forge Gauntlets.

>> No.3461794
File: 92 KB, 1214x1042, Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 00.49.58.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3461763
Here's the thing: base stats (Might, Endurance, etc) really mean very little in MM6, at least after the beginning stages. Don't worry about it too much.

If you absolutely want to be sure, give might to melee classes, intellect to sorcerers, and personality to clerics/paladins. But it in the long run it won't matter at all.

>> No.3461796

>>3461649
MM6 is way better balanced than MM7, more challenging, and much better dungeon design. Classes only affecting what skills you can get and you HP/SP distribution which is way more evenly distributed than MM7. It's the better game but no arcomage.

>> No.3461808

>>3461778
>>3461786
>>3461794
Alright then. Thanks guys.
I always get really nervous about stat-distribution.

Memories of playing MMOs where a single bad stat could ruin everything.

Also, I heard there's not much reason to take Cleric over Druid in this game as long as you have a Paladin as well. Is that true?
Starting a game without the obvious healer class makes me uneasy.

>> No.3461818

>>3461808
Are you familiar with light and dark magic in M&M? Hybrid classes like Paladin, Druid and Archer can't learn it, while Cleric can, light and dark more or less replace all other magic schools in the late game.

>> No.3461819

>>3461643
>elementals, titans, harpies, gargoyles, wights
those are all in MM6

>> No.3461820

>>3461808
No, get a Cleric. Light and dark are much stronger than elemental. A fairly normal team is CCSS, although I wouldn't advise it for a first playthrough. PACS or PCSS would be better starting parties.

>> No.3461828

>>3461819
he's talking about their look, they look nothing like their HoMM3 counterparts, which makes sense since MM6 released before it

>> No.3461830

>>3461828
well he's in for a treat if he plays xeen

>> No.3461832

>>3461828
It's worth noting of course that MM6 is on a completely different continent.

>> No.3461835

>>3461818
Haven't really played M&M before so no.
What I did hear though was that you didn't need more than one guy with Light/Dark. I'm assuming that was bullshit, then.

>>3461820
Hmm, PCSS seems interesting. I also heard Archers were kinda underwhelming so I was somewhat put off.

>> No.3461838

>>3461793
> I always pick up at least 1 dwarf for the Forge Gauntlets.
Ah yes, nearly forgot about accessories specific to races.

But really, Forge Gauntlets don't look particularly useful to me. Stat bonuses don't matter much after you get them to around 40, because they scale very hard (see >>3461794 ). +30 fire resistance is very specific since you don't always get attacked by fire attacks—and on Light path it won't matter that much anyway (see Day of Protection). And +10 armor? I can get Mogred Gauntlets with +12 armor and enchant them for +17 armor class.

They seem to combine 3 very questionable enchantments into 1 item. IMO, the best enchantments are the ones which increase skill/AC. If they gave something like +10 Shield skill I'd consider them when choosing races for the characters, otherwise—nah.

>> No.3461846

>>3461835
>What I did hear though was that you didn't need more than one guy with Light/Dark.
That is in fact bullshit, especially dark.

>Hmm, PCSS seems interesting. I also heard Archers were kinda underwhelming so I was somewhat put off.
They get every weapon type, but since anyone can get master bow, the usefulness of an archer comes down to basically being a knight with a handful of spell points. They aren't a terrible class, but the point of elemental is to cast expensive spells like Fly and Town Portal.

As a rule though your first major goal is to get someone to water 12. Use all your horseshoes and skill points to crank the skill until you can learn master. Once you have master town portal and Lloyd's Beacon the game becomes much much easier.

>> No.3461851

>>3461835
Elemental magic in MM6 is actually good unlike 7 because they didn't go full retard with resistance balancing.

>> No.3461857

Aside from completing quests and donating to temples how else can you rank up reputation? Getting to saintly is a pain in the ass. At least you can cast armageddon in towns to get notorious reputation.

>> No.3461860

>>3461643
mm6 is miles better than 7.

>> No.3461865

>>3461857
Every council quest is +1 permanent category of reputation aside from the Grain Jew.

Outing the traitor is something like 4 categories, but if you do the quest inside the Temple for the +50k xp you lose the same amount of reputation.

>> No.3461869

>>3461857
You can only donate up to Respected. From there a Bard can get you one category (Angelic to Saintly), but basically you are stuck questing.

>> No.3461905

>>3461808
Here's a quick list of advice for beginners and an overview of what's different in MM from most RPGs. I'm writing it because I wish someone told me this when I first played the game.

1) DON'T RUN ALL THE TIME. This is important. Turn "always run" button off. When it's turned on (even when you're standing), you recover from attacks twice as long. So run only when you aren't fighting.

2) When you get enough experience for the next level, you don't level up automatically. You need to go to the training facility and pay to advance to the next level.

3) Most of the time, you don't need to grind or kill everyone everywhere. It provides little exp. Complete quests instead, they give much more exp.

4) M&M damage works different from other games:
—Attack stat does NOT affect damage (!). Instead, it determines the CHANCE to hit the enemy. So, in essence, it's like accuracy in other games.
—Damage is what it is. Almost always it remains the same.
—Armor Class does NOT reduce damage (!). It reduces the CHANCE that the enemy will hit you. So, it's like dodging in other games.

Also, a lot of your/enemy's attacks in the game will whiff. This is normal.

5) There are 2 different degrees of "KO", so to say, in the game:
—Unconscious—not really dead, just knocked out. He can't do anything, but he's still alive. You can still heal the character with potions/spells and he'll be alright. Happens all the time.
—Dead—now this is when healing will do no good. You will see a tombstone in place of a character's portrait. Early in the game, you can only go back to healer to return a dead character back to life.

6) The spells to look for are Town Portal and Fly. The first one lets you teleport between towns. The second one lets you fly in the air, traveling much faster than when running.

Correct me if it's different in MM6 from MM7

>> No.3461910

>>3461905
>1) DON'T RUN ALL THE TIME. This is important. Turn "always run" button off. When it's turned on (even when you're standing), you recover from attacks twice as long. So run only when you aren't fighting.

What the fuck, I never knew this.

>> No.3461915

>>3461905
You forgot the most important thing, holding down A when killing large groups of weak enemies from a distance.

>> No.3461916

>>3461905
There is no always run button in MM6.

For training, in MM6 you can train as many characters as much as you want and it will take exactly 8 game days.

Also of note is that your characters' death occurs when you reach negative hit points equal to your endurance.
>13 endurance means you die at -14 hp.

>> No.3461917

>>3461808
>>3461905
Some more:

7) Most chests in the game are trapped (usually the ones with the best items). There are 2 ways you can deal with this: just let them blow up and heal the damage, if you survive; or disarm them/use Telekinesis spell.

8) At every level up, you base stats don't advance at all. But they don't matter very much anyway as I have already pointed out above. Here's what you get every time you train up a level:
—more SP and HP;
—more skill points.
That's it.

>> No.3461920

>>3461917
Horseshoes can be found at stables that give you skill points and you ALWAYS want to check a chest twice because there is no scroll wheel if there is more loot than the grid holds.

>> No.3461925

>>3461916
>There is no always run button in MM6.
Didn't know this. But I assumed that since it was bugged in MM7, it probably appeared in that game.

>>3461910
I was having a really hard time in MM7 until I learned this.

>>3461920
Almost forgot about this, thanks. It's been a while I've been hunting for the horseshoes

>> No.3461928

>>3461917
Warning about Telekinesis: The first cast will get you the items inside if the caster successfully disarms the trap. If they fail you then either need to run up to the now disarmed chest or recast Telekinesis.

Promotions increase the hp/sp per level, but cause your training costs to double from your base class. 2nd promotion is 1.5x for 3 times the original cost. Some skills require promotion quests to have been completed regardless of whether you have that character class (Battle Mage for Master Bow, Archmage for Air Master)

>> No.3461959

>>3461808
>Memories of playing MMOs where a single bad stat could ruin everything.
> Also, I heard there's not much reason to take Cleric over Druid in this game as long as you have a Paladin as well.
M&M is not like that. It's hard to fuck up the whole game, unless you choose a party of 4 knights or something like that. Even then, not everything is lost.

>> No.3462410

>>3461916
MM6's ini file states otherwise and you can press shift to walk.

>> No.3462580

I'm so bad at HoMM2 and 3.
I can't beat the easy AI in 2 and I have trouble on normal in 3.
I feel like a fucking loser

>> No.3462720

>>3462580
See my comment: >>3445535

>> No.3462820

Just ran through Eofol tunnel in MM7, killed everything there. Actually, I might be wrong here, but I think Spirit Lash is pretty underrated, especially for this particular dungeon.

Both Behemoths' and Titans' lowest resistances are spirit (not light/dark as one might assume). Usually, my cleric doesn't even do any damage to them, and if he does, it's something around 20–30 dmg. With Spirit Lash, he does 100+ dmg and recovered pretty fast too. 15 SP is pretty cheap for such a spell.

>> No.3462892

>>3462820
Has anyone ever done a full clear of that without a cleric and protection from magic? Without it your only way of curing petrifaction is stone to flesh and you need master skill in a worthless branch of magic.

>> No.3462893

>>3462720
Yeah.
I have been using that advice and I xan finnaly win easy maps in 3.
Not normal.
I can take out 3 castles out of 8,but the other AI's get too strong and I lose the frontlines if I retreat to reinforce with my main guy.
Should I assemble secondary armies? From other towns?

>> No.3462931

>>3462892
Master? I thought Stone to Flesh was expert earth spell.

>>3462893
There are advanced tactics like making supply chains with heroes and other tricky stuff you can see pros do in Heroes III.

But honestly, if you play single maps, just one thing can make a huge difference: use "divide and conquer" tactics. NEVER rush into the battle with several enemies. Instead, lock them out and take them one by one.

There's a good example of this, the scenario called "Islands and Caves" (I think it's from RoE). Every faction starts on an isolated island, but when they expand they will all have access to the same underground. The underground quickly becomes a huge battlefield, but it's not really worth it—the towns there are not developed and they change owners very quickly. Instead, the key to winning the scenario is conquering the islands first, getting rid of the competition. Then the rest of the map is pretty easy to complete.

>> No.3462948

>>3462893
>>3462931
Also, obviously: every time your opponents fight each other, you gain an advantage. Most single maps (not campaigns) are designed in a more or less fair way: factions don't get surrounded by others and they have similar starting conditions. So avoid getting dogpiled, and let the enemies feud with each other instead.

I try to think of my controlled territory as amoeba of sorts. I try to absorb only the territories I can fully control and protect, without opening my other borders. That's why castles in the corners of the map or dead ends are very advantageous, they probably won't get stolen by some hotshot with logistics.

>> No.3462950
File: 430 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 16.37.45.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For fuck's sake, how many dragons are there?… They just don't end

>> No.3462973

>>3462950
If I play the light path I don't even bother with titans and dragons in outdoor areas, they're just a slog to go through.

>> No.3462996

>>3462973
Nah, it's fine. The worst part is that Spirit Lash doesn't work on dragons. But it does on titans though.

I realized that resistance potions actually stack with Day of Protection, so I got the recipes for air/water/fire resistance and made some for my sorcerer/cleric. They barely got hurt once or twice.

Also, I wanted some additional exp and maybe see what I can get with multi-loot.

>> No.3463021
File: 1 KB, 49x47, time to savescum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3463027

>>3463021
Wait, isn't it the lowest tier ore in the game?

>> No.3463082

>>3463027
I think it's Erudine. Not the best but you can get them early enough for the items to matter.

>> No.3463093

>>3463082
Ah yes, I see now, they are actually second to stalt-laced ore. I used to get it quite often, so I assumed it wasn't very good.

>> No.3463115

>>3462931
>>3462948
I play randomly generated maps,but Divide et Imperia sounds nice as a tactic.
How long does a game last on average?
If I can't finish a map in 3 hours I feel like I failed

>> No.3463132

>>3463115
>How long does a game last on average?
This completely depends on a size of a map. For me, L and XL maps take very long, at least several hours.

They can take very long, because with 5+ towns and 8 heroes on map the game can turn into micromanagement hell. In the beginning it's cool because you have 1–3 towns which you keep track of. But after some time it gets increasingly more complex.

Most H3 matches on YouTube are separated into several videos because they take 3+ hours. This is the main reason I've stopped playing the game, it's a time vacuum.

>> No.3463310

>>3463132
So if I can't finish an L sized map in 3 hours,I shouldn't feel bad about myself.
Nice to know.
I sorta give up after a few hours,because of the micromamagement.
I'm scared of losing frontier towns

>> No.3463327

>>3463132

Just play medium sized maps.

After you get two towns with 7th tier creatures you pretty much won the game unless you really fucked up.

>> No.3463330

>>3463310
That's another advantage of divide & conquer approach. I try to fight only one opponent at a time, at least in the beginning.

As I said, a lot of the time you don't start surrounded by enemies. Often, you spawn at the corner of a map, surrounded by mountains. And so does your enemy.

Now what lies between you, the borderlands, can look pretty desirable. But in reality, it's very hard to hold this land: the opponent can usually get reinforcements from his home town and quickly banish you from a disputed town, which is often unbuilt and doesn't really give you any advantage (but will sure give you a lot of pain in the ass to protect).

Instead, it's often more reasonable to concentrate on eradicating the nearby enemy first. This way, you will get much firmer control over bordering territories, and also get a safe, powerful and protected town, probably with many dwellings already.

So, usually I let the enemies fight over the free territories, and try to destroy them from the inside. Then, when I feel confident, I move forces closer to enemy "borders". I.e., if I capture a new fully built town, of course I will use it for reinforcements, while also trying to move forces there from my home town.

>> No.3463335
File: 126 KB, 490x554, 1466632609107.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3463353
File: 6 KB, 78x65, wtf am i reading.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3463335
> tactically locking down enemy flyers
> tactically avoiding enemy shooters
> tactically placing Arch Devils close to Archangels and Crusaders
> tactically taking Pit Lords to a siege and tactically placing them into 10 hex range of enemy shooters

>> No.3463380

>>3463330
So essentially stop fucking around and capture starting castles.
And let the AI get bogged down in the mainland with shitty towns.
K.
Will try that next time

>> No.3463387

>>3463353
It's AI

>> No.3463414

>>3463380
Yep. Exactly.

>>3463387
Yeah, but even for AI that's pretty dumb. Looks like easiest difficulty. But then, how did he get the AI to attack this well-protected castle?

>> No.3463441

>>3463414
And how do I stop playing Necro.
I fell in love with the faction,but I feel like a twat for playing as "babbys first victorious army"

>> No.3463508

>>3463441
Well, just try other factions. Castle is a good pick: very strong units, probably best lvl 7 in the game, decent heroes, various perks like Stables and so on.

You might need to adjust though. Necro is different from most towns, which usually utilize different development scheme.

First of all, Necro isn't very strong in the beginning. Your lvl 1–3 units are all melee, and although Wights are flying, they don't help much. You only get Liches by lvl 5, and they are your only shooters.

Conversely, with Rampart, lvl 3 units are Grand Elves, and they do more damage than their lvl 6 units. They can kill pretty much any melee stack without much effort. Castle and Tower have very strong shooters too.

So obviously, prepare to shift your focus to shooters for the start of the game, and faster early expansion.

Second, the power of Necro is, of course, in their hordes of Skeletons. That's probably why their lvl 7 unit is, frankly speaking, underwhelming. Dread Knights do make up for it in terms of damage; but they are still walking units.

However, Castle, Inferno, Rampart, Dungeon and Conflux all have flying lvl 7 units, and they are all very strong, with very powerful special abilities. They have it all: health, damage, speed and the ability to fly over walls. They can easily decide most battles; moreover, they provide invaluable help during sieges, when you need to finish the enemy quick and preferably neutralize his shooters early.

So, you need to account for this. Compared to Necro, other towns have much more focus on lvl 7 creatures—Dragons, Archangels and so on. Their power is not in Necromancy, but in their high level dwellings and creatues. This is a bit different for Fortress who utilize Wyvern rush, Inferno who can do it with Efreeti, and Stronghold who have walker lvl 7.

>> No.3463561

>>3463441
Lastly, there are many other less apparent differences. Obviously, you will get different spells, depending on faction. You won't be able to rely on Animate Dead too. Also, since you won't be having Undeads in your army, prepare for 2 nasty shortcomings: 1) morale 2) susceptibility to Blind. That said, you will be able to Bless your units, which is a pretty good way to up your damage a bit.

Since you won't have Skeletons with you all the time, your heroes will be able to travel further. No need to transport units to Skeleton Transformer too.

The development for other factions is generally faster, because Necro start pretty weak compared to other towns and needs to build almost everything in order. I already talked about shooters, but factions with shitty ones can "jump" straight to lvl 6 dwellings (Inferno or Fortress), or even lvl 7 ones (Stronghold).

Also, obviously, you won't need as much sulfur for build-up as with Necro, unless you're playing Dungeon. The requirements for buildings will be different, but I think it's almost redundant to talk about this.

>> No.3463645
File: 44 KB, 474x960, 1461673934892.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there an increased chance for neutral monsters from the same faction to desire to join your army in Heroes 3?

Maybe it's just me but i feel like troops from the same castle join me more often than others.

>> No.3463670

>>3463645
Almost. There is a parameter called "sympathy" which affects the chance of a stack joining you.

>Sympathy = 0 if there are no creatures of the same kind as neutrals in hero's army;
>Sympathy = 1 if there is at least one creature (or upgrade/downgrade) of the same kind as neutrals in hero's army;
>Sympathy = 2 if total number of creatures (or their upgrades/downgrades) of the same kind as neutrals in hero's army are strictly bigger than number of all the other beings in the army;

So if you face, say, Stone Golems, and you have Iron Golems in your army, it's more likely that they will offer to join you.

See http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=28341 for full description.

>> No.3463695

>>3463670
Daaaamn it's much deeper than i thought. Thanks.

>> No.3463754

>>3463695
Well it's not super deep, but there's a lot of random stuff at play. What matters is: how big is your army; how much Attack/Defense you hero has; you level of Diplomacy; and lastly, if you have creatures of the same kind in your army.

However, for every map, there's a different level of monster aggression set. If it's set to maximum, monsters will never join you. Often it's random

>> No.3463802

> finally get to Eofol
> kill titans and dragons without much trouble
> approach Colony Zod
> Devils cast Meteor Shower
> party dead in seconds
> lol what
> load game
> make Fire Resistance potion
> add Philosopher's Stone
> power: 107
> use it on my cleric
> Fire Resistance: 400+
> fight again
> everyone is dead, cleric is KO'd
What. The. Fuck. No, really. At 400 resistance, I should technically get less than 20% of spell damage.

>> No.3463875

>>3463802
I've never played M&M other than 2 and 3, but might it be that MS deals Earth damage like in HoMM rather than Fire?

>> No.3463962

>>3463875
Thanks for the suggestion, but in MM7 specifically it's all pretty straightforward: all fire spells do fire damage, all water spells—water, and so on, no exceptions. And Meteor Shower is a fire spell, unlike in Heroes 3. Even then—my earth resistance is high enough too.

But I think I've figured it out… I think every meteor deals more damage the closer it is to the earth surface. When I fly at highest possible altitude, the damage from it is almost negligible. It's hard to shoot the enemies from this point… Luckily, I have Starburst, it's like Meteor Shower, except stronger and an air spell.

It's weird because this isn't mentioned anywhere… I guess it's logical—the faster the rocks fall, the more painful the impact. Devils are the only enemies in the game which cast Meteor Shower, I guess it might be a sort of a bug/overlooked aspect of the game. It's not necessary to kill them anyway, but I wanted to do that if only for the loot.

>> No.3463972

Just wondering… In MM7, has anyone ever got items with +25 AC or +25 Unarmed/Dodging bonus from orange ore? Also, what do you make from ore you find—items, armor, weapons?

>> No.3464082

>>3463962
Devil Masters in MM6 also cast Meteor Shower. You should use live combat more and just shoot them down with Blasters.

>>3463972
No I'm pretty sure it's capped at 12. Enchant Item giving 18 is the highest you can get for unarmed/dodging/armsmaster.

Make Armor. You can buy top level weapons elsewhere (Tatalia for daggers, Stone City for maces and axes, AvLee for Spears). It's much harder finding top level armor until very late. If you have leftovers then go ahead and get some weapons with good enchants (later on you can just enchant literally everything with of Infernos or Vampiric).

>> No.3464142

>>3464082
> shoot them down with Blasters
I probably would, but I wanted to go blaster-free for this run. Anyway, I figured that not only red devils can cast it, but green ones too. Getting them with Starburst while abusing TP was relatively easy. SP drain is a pain though, probably the most annoying thing in the whole game for me.

>>3464082
That's a bummer… Is orange ore of any use late in the game? I already have 24 rings for +17 AC for my whole party.

I've found AC +25 rings, I think from looting titans or dragons. But recently I went to convert my stalt-laced ore to items. Loaded the game a bunch of times but only got useless crap really, like resistance or stat bonuses, or Stealing/ID Item/whatever other useless skills… The best I got was Alchemy +21 ring, but I already have one for +25 so it was of no use to me. Since I have 2 monks, I've been wondering if I could get some Armsmaster/Dodging/Unarmed stuff.

I tried searching Celestial Heavens but I can't find any info to clarify what I can get from ore. The system is kinda complex, I've found some peculiarities too—for example, with Enchant Item spell, I could never get AC bonus for belts and belts only, for some reason. I must have tried a hundred times.

>> No.3464217 [DELETED] 

>>3464142
>Is orange ore of any use late in the game?
They give level 6 non-artifact drops, meaning it's theoretically the same as if you looted a dragon minus the chance of an artifact or relic.

In short there are 6 level items (and 6 ranks of ore). For a rough estimate (note that there is a chance for unenchanted items which decreases as the item level increases):

1: 1-5
2: 1-8
3: 6-12 (this is what master enchant item gives)
4: 9-18 (this is what grandmaster enchant item gives)
5: 12-25 (accessory shops in Bracada & Deyja)
6: 18-25 (dragons/Blood Titans)

>> No.3464227

>>3464142
>Is orange ore of any use late in the game?
They give level 6 non-artifact drops, meaning it's theoretically the same as if you looted a dragon minus the chance of an artifact or relic.

In short there are 6 level items (and 6 ranks of ore). For a rough estimate (note that there is a chance for unenchanted items which decreases as the item level increases):

1: 1-5
2: 1-8
3: 6-12 (this is what master enchant item gives)
4: 9-18 (this is what grandmaster enchant item gives)
5: 9-18 (accessory shop specials in Bracada & Deyja,. but can include better enchant types like "of Air Magic")
6: 14-25 (dragons/Blood Titans)

>> No.3464239

>>3464227
To add to this there is a special exemption on Armsmaster/Dodging/Unarmed which are capped MUCH lower. I assume it was something that was changed in late/beta testing due to balance issues. Items of armsmaster and unarmed are already absurdly strong.

>> No.3464241

>>3464227
>>3464239
The cluebook has a ton more about the different item levels and what shops/monsters drop which loot levels.

>> No.3464246

>>3464227
Thanks! Now I see the difference. I've always wondered how I never could make "of X magic" enchantments, although they kind of seemed within my reach.

By Bracada/Deyja, you mean specifically the towns, or Celeste/Pit?

>>3464239
Aha, I see it now. I've noticed I easily got Stealing and ID Item +25, but never those three skills.

It's a bit disappointing but I agree, that'd be pretty much game-breaking. Hands of the Master paired with +17 Unarmed & Dodging and another +17 for Armsmaster already give monks ridiculous advantage.

>>3464241
I wish I could find that book somewhere, I have no idea where I could get it.

>> No.3464251

>>3464246
No, the outdoor areas when you look at the shop specials. I know the potion shops inside Celeste/Bracada are also level 5 (black potions are level 5). I don't remember if the weaponsmith/armory are also level 5 but they look about right. They are at least 4.

>> No.3464253

>>3464251
>Celeste/Bracada
Celeste/The Pit. Bracada potions are level 4 and you cannot buy black potions.

>> No.3464839
File: 30 KB, 198x256, ss+(2016-08-31+at+03.59.35).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do bows show up in regular weapon stores in MM6?
So far I've seen nothing but melee weapons.

Also, a horde of dudes from this Temple of Baa thing just attacked me outta nowhere and I killed a few of them. But some people are treating me like a murderer now.

...the fuck? Is self-defense an alien concept in this land?

>> No.3464878

>>3464839
Different shops sell different shit. Castle Ironfist sells bows iirc. You probably accidentally hit a peasant or fucked something up. If you did the quest for the baa dude you lost some rep. Donate in temples to bring it back up.

>> No.3465126

>>3464878
Can't you pay a fee in town hall like in MM7?

>> No.3465316

I remember finishing mm6 way back, but did not recall any blasters or such things. But remember implosioning everyone away at the hive or what was the last dungeon. What gives?

>> No.3465682

>>3465126
I've never actually commited a crime without reloading to be honest.

>> No.3465991

>>3465682
I've told this story before: at the beginning of the game, I needed to visit Catherine. When I did, I was surprisingly "welcomed" by a screen telling me I've been put to jail for a year.

I loaded and walked to Town Hall. Turned out I need to pay something around 5,000 gold. For what? I have absolutely no idea. Loose arrow killed a peasant, maybe.

>> No.3466003

>>3465991
Always use the mouse when fighting around peasants

>> No.3466061

>>3466003
Yeah, it's a good advice. But that said, I still have absolutely no idea what I did. I completed the mission for elven king before it (retrieve the river fort plan) and killed tons of guards inside the fort, but I think it shouldn't count as fine.

>> No.3466240
File: 448 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 02.01.11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Going to Eofol in a nutshell

I think the whole game has less yellow reagents than this one location

>> No.3466262

>>3464839
No, you need to go to bow shops.
There are 3:
1) Castle Ironfist (ground level not the castle shop) sells up to Precision.
2) Free Haven (Southern shop right across from the southern tavern by the stables) sells up to Magic.
3) White Cap (main city) sells all including Stellar.

>>3464839
If you hit a peasant accidentally you are hostile to all nearby peasants. Every kill lowers your reputation. You can reraise it up to Respectable by donating at temples. If you enter a Castle with too low of a reputation you get thrown in prison for a year. It's like 100 gold if you just donate in New Sorpigal a bunch even from Notorious.

>> No.3466265

>>3465316
You get them in the Control Center that the Oracle teleports you to.

>> No.3466334

>>3464878
>>3466262
Thank you.

Another thing, I'm not sure I understand very well how skills work in this game.
Is there a limit to how many skills a character can have at once?

>> No.3466368

>>3466334
No, but you won't have the skill points to raise all of them. You can get level 1 of anything for just the cost of gold of the skill. Of particular note make sure everyone gets learning level 1 as soon as possible because that is +10% permanent experience from monsters for the cost of buying everyone the skill.

There are of course class restrictions on skills like Sorcerers being banned from Plate.

>> No.3466414

>>3466368
I see. So you're saying I don't actually depend on using a skill to get better at it?
Works for me.

>> No.3466428

>>3466414
>I see. So you're saying I don't actually depend on using a skill to get better at it?
Correct. Skill points are the major limiting factor as they really only come from training and the occasional horseshoe.

>> No.3466614

>>3466240
Yellow are annoying to get, but that's largely because they are used in both Divine Power and Divine Cure. There are a surprising number of them just floating around Harmondale, you just need to make sure to use a catalyst afterwards because they are all super low level. If you really need them, you just need to make sure and hit potion shops.

>> No.3467352
File: 396 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 01.31.03.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3466614
Yeah it's true, but still what is scattered around Harmondale is just not enough.

Just compare it to other reagents:

—Blue: tons and tons of this shit almost everywhere. Crate full of blue roots in Harmondale. Harpies in Deyja drop feathers. Tularean forest has 50 power mushrooms. Blue crystals are easily found in most locations.

—Red: same thing. Again, a full crate of them in Harmondale (IIRC). Tons of them in Tularean forest and other locations. If you want higher level, there are trolls in Tatalia. Just slightly less of them but still not a problem.

—Yellow: no crates full of them. Some locations barely have them, ever (Tularean forest). AFAIK no monster drops them except for devils, which are obviously only present at temple of Baa before Eofol. Sure, a few of them can be found in Harmondale, but that's about it really, and how often do they spawn? That's not really enough.

I feel like it was balanced this way to help players without Alchemy skill, or only with basic level of it. Meanwhile, you need 3 yellow reagents for every Divine Power/Cure, which is the same as the number of blue/red reagents you need for these potions, respectively. But you get so much fewer of the yellow ones.

In result I barely even use divine potions… They are scarce and I don't want to waste them.

>> No.3467387

>>3466265
I mean I've read you absolutely need them to finish the game, but I remember only using magic to steamroll everyone.

>> No.3467391

Is it just me or light magic in M&M7 is not especially powerful in offense?

—Sunray: only outside, only in daytime. So obviously all the dungeons are out.

—Prismatic light: OK but only 25 + 1 x skill damage, not very fast to recharge. Only for rooms full of weaklings.

—Destroy Undead: would be great but it doesn't work on speakers of the dead, the most dangerous of them all. Also, liches have pain reflection and you need to disable it first or prepare to heal. Then it's good for taking them out from distance. Also OK for vampires maybe, but then again I've never had any trouble with them.

—Light Bolt: well duh.

>> No.3467573
File: 102 KB, 640x480, mm7 2016-09-01 15-52-31-75.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you like my party?

>> No.3467579

>>3467573
Early game is going to be a bitch

>> No.3467738

>>3467573
No clerics?

>> No.3467813

>>3467738
Helpful magic is what alchemy is for.

>> No.3468156

>>3467573
Magic & Magic™ VII: for Shits and Giggles

>> No.3468238

Is staff basically useless in M&M7? Shit recovery, attack and damage, not a single good special property except for stun chance. The bonus for monk is almost nonexistent due to complex skill/damage calculation, but the recovery will be much slower. The only good one in the game I know of is Ethric's staff.

>> No.3468242

>>3468238
Forgot to add: for sorcerers, 2 daggers seem to work better. Slightly less AC can easily be offset with Enchant Item spell.

Also, the only bonus for monk I can think of is having an enchanted weapon (but I'm not sure the enchantment will work with unarmed)

>> No.3468396
File: 460 KB, 640x480, Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 23.54.34.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do I do now? Play 6 for the first time? Go on a third run through 7 while my memory is still fresh? Or play 8 for the first time in 15 years? Something else?

>> No.3468420

>>3468396
Do a solo run in 8

>> No.3468436

Rolling for what oracle crystal I should go for first in MM6. I already did supreme temple of Baa

1-3 Castle Alamos
4-6 Castle Kreigspire
7-9 Castle Darkmoor
0 All 3 in one sitting

>> No.3468437

>>3468420
Why solo 8 specifically? I barely remember it

>> No.3468469
File: 29 KB, 557x605, 1456020396503.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm finding that MM6 is getting me interested in a way that Morrowind never could, and I frankly don't understand it.
Why am I having so much fun with this thing?

>> No.3468509

>>3468238
>The only good one in the game I know of is Ethric's staff.
This is correct. Staves are terrible and giving sorcerers expert dagger was a mistake.

>>3467391
It's not designed to be other than Destroy Undead. It's based around buffing the hell out of your melee, and then paralyzing anything that gets close and beating them to death.

>>3468396
Play MM6, and if you haven't definitely try the MM7 dark path. MM8 is optional, but it is still worth playing if you liked 6 and 7.

>> No.3468521

>>3468437
Solo is optional of course, but you only start with 1 character and add characters as you explore and oftentimes end up with ridiculous teams like your main being level 6 and a level 50 joins you.

I'm not the guy you are replying to, but as long as you stay away from the following you should go ahead and use the full party: any of the dragons, Blazen, or Cauri.

>> No.3468642

>>3468469
I think M&M just manages to never become tedious. 6, 7 and 8 take the most interesting stuff from tabletop RPGs (classes/skills/magic/combat system) and adventure games (actually interesting dungeons, puzzles and quests with some action thrown in), while avoiding the shortfalls of similar "open world" RPGs: emptiness, pointlessness, and excessive grinding.

Other games with similarly huge worlds often leave it to the player to entertain himself. But M&M always gives the players lots of different paths to explore, and with 4 different characters you can do it all at once, combining your abilities, learning something new every time you play the game. M&M has so many sides that it has enough stuff to explore for 10 RPGs. Where other games have filler like grinding, M&M has substance.

>> No.3468667

>>3468469
>>3468642
I want to specifically note how M&M is a lot like an adventure game. If you are a savvy player and pay attention, you can get a lot of bonus gold/experience and save yourself a lot of time. From resistance pedestals to teacher locations and obelisks, it's not as much about pure hack'n'slash as it is about learning and exploration.

>> No.3468735

OK. I'm thinking of going for a third run of MM7. Second time picking dark path.

What party should I try? So far I've had KMDC (dark) and MMSC (light). Wanted to try different classes. What am I missing on the most?

So far I was thinking about picking an archer for GM perception, to find all the secret doors I've missed. But if he fills my spot for elemental magician, then I'm missing early Fly/Town Portal, GM Enchant Item, Alchemy… And it makes me sad.

>> No.3468754

>>3468735
With dark it's all about stacking Clerics and Sorcerers for Shrapmetal. KCSS or CSSS are widely considered the best dark teams. Honestly any team with 1 of each will have no problems.

Archers and especially Paladins are slightly better light side (because basic Light is great and basic Dark is garbage), if you want an archer go for it.

Perception is mostly pointless. Hunters are horrible but you can try them if you want.

You really haven't tried a team focused on bows (RAAC or AAAC) but that works better with light magic because of hour of power.

Archer/Thief/Cleric/Sorcerer might be an interesting playthrough although you will be very squishy. You would almost certainly want to use Wind Master and Gate Master hirelings until you get Sniper promotion.

>> No.3468764

>>3468754
>You would almost certainly want to use Wind Master and Gate Master hirelings until you get Sniper promotion.
Sorry that should have been a seperate response to:
>if he fills my spot for elemental magician, then I'm missing early Fly/Town Portal

>> No.3468787

>>3468754
Yeah, I've been thinking having both Cleric and Sorcerer on light path didn't pay out that much.

Are there any super secret areas you can see only with Perception? Or is Wizard Eye enough in most cases? I thought that maybe, with a hireling psychic who gives +5 Perception, GM wasn't that important after all. A little how GM Disarm Trap is mostly pointless with bonus items.

> You really haven't tried a team focused on bows (RAAC or AAAC) but that works better with light magic because of hour of power.
I'm a bit hesitant on picking something like this. First, I'm kinda used to wreck everyone in melee after my first runs with KMDC and MMSC. I read that bows have much lower recovery though. Do fights last longer with bow-focused parties, on average? Second, there's the fact that arrows can miss if you shoot from afar. Does this affect bow-focused parties?

>> No.3468798

>>3468787
You might find a stray chest here and there but it isn't worth the effort. It's the same problem with disarm and stealing.

>I'm a bit hesitant on picking something like this. First, I'm kinda used to wreck everyone in melee after my first runs with KMDC and MMSC. I read that bows have much lower recovery though. Do fights last longer with bow-focused parties, on average? Second, there's the fact that arrows can miss if you shoot from afar. Does this affect bow-focused parties?

Yes, bows just don't do the damage until you get really late. They don't actually have lower recovery, they have a lower recovery cap of 5 instead of 30 (which doesn't really come into effect until you are level >20 in light magic). Range can affect you but the main difference is that you are permanently looking out for the Ice Bow artifact and anything of carnage. If you ever find a carnage bow your archers will wreck absolutely everything that isn't immune to fire, especially since they get 2 shots.

>Yeah, I've been thinking having both Cleric and Sorcerer on light path didn't pay out that much.
You weren't using Paralyze enough then.

>> No.3468805

Also, am I wrong, or the following guide is complete shit: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/143119-might-and-magic-vii-for-blood-and-honor/faqs/60700 ?

I actually went with it the first time I played and picked KMDC for my dark path run as it suggested "for beginners". I regretted my decision after I learned the requirements for Warlock promotion. Then I learned they couldn't get dark magic, and my trust to the author of the FAQ slowly vanished.

> The Druid should develop Air, Fire, Body, Meditation, Learning, Leather,
Shield, Alchemy, Water, Earth, in that order.
Why the actual fuck? Why Water comes almost last?

Other questionable advice from it:
> "Goblins make best knights"
> "I never pick humans, stats not worth it"
> "Always get Repair Item" (for a party with Druid too)
> Also, no mention of enchantments that make Disarm Trap irrelevant

>> No.3468820

>>3468805
> "Goblins make best knights"
This is actually true though, since you have literally no use for Intellect and Personality. It's not like the races have a huge impact but Goblins are the best knights.

The rest of it is largely trash.

>> No.3468821

>>3468798
>You weren't using Paralyze enough then.
Well yeah, it's stupid but I never used it. I took my AC and Unarmed so high that most physical damage missed anyway, and I hit-stunned most of the stuff in my way.

> of carnage
Does it work like Fireball spell? Never tried it since my party was shit with bows. Also, I still don't get how "adds X of fire/body/etc damage" is treated—is it affected by resistance/immunity as a spell or not?

>> No.3468825

>>3468821
see
>>3440845
They shoot fireballs. They can blow you up as well but once you get the hang of it they will mow down just about anything.

>Also, I still don't get how "adds X of fire/body/etc damage" is treated—is it affected by resistance/immunity as a spell or not?
Yes. You don't get extra body damage against undead for example.

>> No.3468841

>>3468820
Correct me if I'm wrong: the actual difference is only made at the beginning, right? They get the same +X stat points from barrels as everyone else does from barrels, is this correct?

Then, several hours into the game it won't matter at all. Maybe on Emerald Island you will be a bit stronger. But after that, with stronger weapons and armor, the measly difference of 1–2 AC/attack/damage is not even noticeable.

>> No.3468845

>>3468841
That's right which is why
>It's not like the races have a huge impact

Starting that endurance at 30 is really nice though.

>> No.3468864

>>3468845
I'm just too pissed that I followed that advice twice and stuck with non-human races all the time. I wanted a human party like in MM6 so much.

I should be more pissed that I needed to go to Eofol just to be able to learn TP/Fly though.

>> No.3468873

>>3468864
>I should be more pissed that I needed to go to Eofol just to be able to learn TP/Fly though.
You what? You just need to do the first promotion which still requires getting to Evermorn, but it's not like you have to head to Eeofol. The second druid promotion adds almost nothing as you only really get meditation and alchemy GM.

>> No.3468890
File: 6 KB, 78x65, shame.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3468873
My bad… It was two years ago or so, I have forgotten I actually got them. That's why I wasn't pissed about it… Pretty logical.

I remember though just how disappointing GM Alchemy was. And given the Warlock promotion gave more health and GM Meditation, I still wanted it for a long time.

Then again, I made a lot of other mistakes which seem really dumb in hindsight.

>> No.3468909

>>3468890
Druids are good early game, ok mid game, and just awful late game.

Archers on the other hand are awful early game, ok mid game, and great late game.

>> No.3468915

>>3468890
The big flaw with druids is that GM meditation is mostly useless for a class that can't cast Light, Dark, or any GM spell. Classes that could actually use the extra spell points get screwed. Easiest way to fix druids would be to give them GM water and body.

>> No.3469050

>>3468735
play a crap party. maybe something like ranger, thief, paladin, druid, sorc.

>> No.3469278

>>3468436
Fuck Castle Darkmoor. Any place that has monsters that can cast dispel magic through walls is shit.

>> No.3469401
File: 440 KB, 1366x768, Highscores.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Post high scores. Discuss high scores!

>> No.3469510
File: 7 KB, 188x268, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was told she lurks these threads.

>> No.3469520

Is Alexandra in this thread?

>> No.3469529

>>3469401
448 is shite mate

>>3469510
>>3469520

She left, you missed her

>> No.3469539

>>3469529
Alexandra I know it's you

>> No.3469543
File: 390 KB, 380x420, 2016-09-02.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3469539
no its not

>> No.3469545

>>3469543
Alexandra can I have a hug

>> No.3469547
File: 583 KB, 375x663, 2016-09-02.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3469545
sure

>> No.3469557

>>3469510
>>3469520
Fuck off /tv/

>> No.3469560

Will I ever get to play HoMM with Breivik?

>> No.3469594

>Daddario fanshits flocking from /tv/

I swear it's every other week with you faggots.

She's never going to respond to any of you.

>> No.3469653

>>3469278
Yeah I just wrapped that up not too long ago, it was even worse than I remember, I dont know who thought it was a good idea to let beholders and liches to dispel magic anywhere, but they should be shot.

>> No.3469656

I LOVE YOU ALEX

SWALLOW MY SOUL PLEASE

>> No.3469658

ALEXANDRA YOU ARE LIKE MY 4TH FAVOURITE WAIFU

well maybe 5th

On a bit of off topic, is gog.com good place to buy older games or is there a way to get them cheaper? Playing Heroes III and IV with my m9s are top comfy memories, and I actually had most Heroes games on original discs that i lost when I moved out.

But being both too fond of the games to just download them AND being too poor to spend dozens of eurodioos on vidya I really cant find the middle ground.

>> No.3469660

>>3468915
Yep. It's just weird how sorcerers can't get Meditation GM.

OK, I decided I wanted to try archers, and screw it—I'm going light path again. Feels more familliar this way. I feel like my party didn't squeeze everything out of light path last time I played. So as >>3468787 suggested, I'm going to try RAAC or AAAC.

>> No.3469667

>>3469658
GOG is your best bet, anon. They have sales fairly frequently though and you can pick up HoMM games for like 50-75% off. They're already pretty cheap though. Unless you're broke as fuck.

On a side note, GOG games have zero copy protection and 3DO are a dead company who will get no money from your purchase. Do with that information what you will.

Oh, and if you get deep into the multiplayer community you might get to play a match against your 5th fave waifu. You'd likely never know it though.

>> No.3469670

>>3469658
I think it's probably the best way to buy them. Don't know where you're from, but here in Russia Heroes 3 Complete costs 500 RUR, which is around 7 €. This includes Shadow of Death and Armageddon's Blade too. Same for IV.

They had some sales a year ago, as if this wasn't cheap already. Don't know if they still have them.

>> No.3469673

>>3469670
I'm surprised every Russian doesn't already own HoMM3 one way or another.

>> No.3469682
File: 6 KB, 100x88, Бука.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3469673
I do, but on a CD. I bought a Macbook some time ago so it's of no use to me.

>> No.3469683

>>3469667
>Unless you're broke as fuck
ayy
My laptop broke unexpectedly and I had to have it fixed because uni so Im in kind of a every penny matters mode for now.

>3DO are a dead company who will get no money from your purchase
Shit I kind of hoped they are one of these companies that got reorganized twenty times but still has original developers that would somehow get atleast some of the money.

Oh well it's settled then.

>Oh, and if you get deep into the multiplayer community you might get to play a match against your 5th fave waifu
alex here i go

>>3469670
not russia but eastern yurop
the games were pretty popular here
>the hype for Heroes V

>> No.3469685

>>3469683
>My laptop broke unexpectedly and I had to have it fixed because uni so Im in kind of a every penny matters mode for now.
You've picked the right time to play Heroes 3

>> No.3469686

>>3469685
y-yeah

>> No.3469687

This makes me ask the question,how many of you are russians/from a Warsaw Pact country?

>> No.3469690

>>3469687
Probably not too many of them here, they have their own heroes/might and magic communities.

>> No.3469691

>>3469687
czech republic reporting in (>>3469683)

>> No.3469696

>>3469690
Russian here (I'm the OP of this thread and also the one who posts all the MM7 questions, answering HoMM3 questions when I can)

>> No.3469708

>>3469687
cyka here

I feel like I'm the most prolific HoMM3 poster on these threads

>> No.3469716

>>3469687
Hungarian.
Not quite as slav,but warsaw pact anyway

>> No.3469763

>>3469687
Pole here.

>> No.3469771

>>3469687
>born Ukraine
>live UK
cyka blyat, was playing HoMM before I could walk.

>> No.3469773
File: 48 KB, 400x300, pictures of sandro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3469510
>mfw she probably plays Necropolis
Fucking plebs

>> No.3469789
File: 177 KB, 420x363, 1460308413224.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3469773
There is literary nothing wrong with playing necropolis

>> No.3469791
File: 87 KB, 500x600, 1432688951171.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3469789
Not having this discussion again desu

>> No.3469796

>>3469687
I'm from ex-Yugoslavia, is that close enough?

>> No.3469801

>>3469796
Sorta,
Almost Ruski,if I may put it that way.

>> No.3469807
File: 24 KB, 276x280, 1392437949534.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3469796
NYET

I swear, HoMM must be some sort of slavic right of passage.

>> No.3469818
File: 376 KB, 1541x964, Musorok.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fellow commies have infiltrated burger message board. Subversion stage 1 successful. Soon you will have cheeki breeki for national anthem, you mark my words capitalist fatcats

>> No.3469845

Here's a thing that's been bugging me in M&M7:

You probably know that in temple of dark, you can jump into a fountain to find a secret passage. There are some items/enemies there, but strangely, it ends in a series of hidden doors followed by a long straight downward stairway leading to a dead end—a very small room but with a very high ceiling, you can't even see where it goes. It's seemingly empty, I've clicked every wall in the room but nothing happened. Tried to use Jump spell to see if maybe there was something hidden above, but still saw nothing.

Is it really just empty? That's kinda weird, my Metroid sense sure was tingling in that room.

>> No.3469884

>>3469687
Do people consider Finland to be part of Eeastern Bloc? I might qualify.

>> No.3469927

Thinking of going with bow-centered party in M&M7 (light path), but one thing is eating me: I will have no GM Water/Air and no Master Alchemy.

So I thought… Does RAAS sound crazy? Potions + ranger's expert Body magic for beginning, and in the end I will simply lower the damage with AC +17 rings, GM Light and resistance potions. Divine Intervention if shit hits the fan.

>> No.3469948

>>3469884
>Never under soviet influence
No,I don't think you qualify for the position of "Post socialist/soviet shithole located in Eastern Europe"

>> No.3469953

>>3469948
Finland was supposedly considered as a part of Eastern Bloc because how much they sucked up to Soviet Union, but I'm glad to hear the views have changed.

>> No.3469958

>>3469948
> TFW will never be living in a snow-covered shithole earning under $10K/year
> TFW no black lungs from chain smoking from the age of 12
Yuros will never know what they're missing

>> No.3470021

>>3469927
Ah, fuck it. Going with RAAC light path.

>> No.3470063

>>3469953
No,you are burgeoise scum
Also you are rich so that automatically disqualifies you from being "Eastern"

>> No.3470114

Which faction is most communist? My vote surely goes to Inferno.

—Evil aligned
—Sacrifcing their own units for victory
—Wanted to nuke the whole world with Armageddon's Blade
—Like red

>> No.3470130

>>3469708
we all do

>> No.3470339
File: 397 KB, 542x724, deeply concerned.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> Play M&M7
> Want to train several levels
> But 8 days will pass for each level

>> No.3470605

Started my RAAC run. Killed the dragon, used multiloot glitch.

But soon I realized my party can't get ID Item past basic level. Luckily, I got +20 ID Item amulet from the dragon… But some items require expert/master level of the skill in order to be ID'd.

Obviously, I need someone to ID this stuff for me, and I really don't want to have to go to shops for it every time. I read there's a "scholar" type of a hireling who gives "unlimited" ID Item. Can he ID all this stuff for me?

>> No.3470623

>>3470605
>Started my RAAC run. Killed the dragon, used multiloot glitch.
How long did that take you? I tried it once a few years back in an old run, took me 10 minutes or so. And yes, ID item hirelings give unlimited IDs

>> No.3470641

>>3470623
> unlimited IDs
So basically GM ID Item? Sorry for double-asking, I just don't want to wind up without ID.

> How long did that take you? I tried it once a few years back in an old run, took me 10 minutes or so.

Yep, took me around the same. I used the wand. It's not too hard, a bit tedious but could be worse.

Some people call killing the dragon "cheating"… Yeah right. Malwick totally didn't have the wand just for this purpose. Multi-looting is kinda cheap though.

>> No.3470653

>>3470641
Yeah I just double checked an FAQ, it says all items and unlimited, and you say the wand works? Figured it wouldn't since its fire element and you're fighting a dragon.

>> No.3470675

>>3469845
That whole place is designed horribly. Who the hell puts the goal of the dungeon in the first room?

>>3469927
No it's not crazy. It will have a pretty weak mid game until you hit Master Archer, but 4x spears will kill anything that gets close to you.

>>3470605
Hire a scholar if it really bugs you.

>> No.3470680

>>3470675
Should add that it's worth hiring a scholar/factor while looting the Emerald Isle dragon if you kill it, and worth hiring a duper/merchant when you finally get to selling things from it.

>> No.3470686
File: 113 KB, 320x320, Red dragon stats MM7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3470653
> Figured it wouldn't since its fire element and you're fighting a dragon.
You're right—red dragons should be immune to fire. This means that it's probably some different type of dragon (I have ID'd the wand just in case—it casts Fireball).

But it's obviously some other, weaker dragon… My wand did 22 or so damage to him. If it was a red dragon, that'd take me 60 shots to kill him. That's some Takeshi's Challenge level of torturing the player.

>> No.3470715

>>3470675
>Who the hell puts the goal of the dungeon in the first room?
I guess the whole dungeon was meant to be optional. If you want it, you can explore the whole place, get the loot and so on. If you don't, you can just collect the altar pieces and run.

> Should add that it's worth hiring a scholar/factor while looting the Emerald Isle dragon if you kill it, and worth hiring a duper/merchant when you finally get to selling things from it.
Well I already have 40k gold right now, I think that'll be enough for now. I find the start of the game a bit annoying, for example I forgot to give my ranger Leather. Nearly got killed by dragonflies… And buying them with THAT starting budget is, to put it lightly, expensive.

>> No.3470725

>>3470653
>>3470686
Also, I thought the dragon would give me shittons of experience… But I only got 3 levels, that's including dragonflies and other creatures I've killed.

>> No.3470729

>>3470725
Since it isnt a normal dragon and vulnerable to fire, I assume it also has less exp than a normal dragon.

>> No.3470734

>>3470715
Basically you will have a game that won't really be hard at any point, but getting to Nighon for master bow could suck if you get bad minotaur spawns in that area right by the start.

>>3470725
The problem with the experience is that it is shared across 4 characters. If you do it right, you can get off Emerald Isle at level 5, but it requires learning and killing dragonfly respawns after each level you train.

>> No.3470741

>>3470729
Yeah, my point exactly. It's not really a red dragon, just the same sprite.

>>3470734
> If you do it right, you can get off Emerald Isle at level 5
Well, I wasn't really aiming for it… Just was a little bummed. It's just that I expected something like >>3441856 said. Some sort of shortcut to more exp.

> but getting to Nighon for master bow could suck
I actually decided I'd go the light path, so this means I will have perfect bow/Titans' Stronghold quest, right?

>> No.3470746

>>3470741
>>3470734
Oh. my bad. I thought you were talking about getting Master Archer promotion, not master Bow.

>> No.3470750

>>3470741
>I actually decided I'd go the light path, so this means I will have perfect bow/Titans' Stronghold quest, right?
Same quest light or dark. The only difference is who you turn it into. It's the only promotion they were lazy with.

>>3470746
The actual promotion quest is easy. Invisibility scroll and if you want to make it faster just bring a Gate Master to portal out once you get the bow.

>> No.3470767

>>3470750
Yeah… I tried to plan my run ahead—read all the skill tables and thought I had everything under control. But now I realize I forgot to check teacher locations. That said, minotaurs were in fact very easy to handle last time I played, after I got armor class bonus rings.

>> No.3470776

>>3470767
It's something like 1-5 minotaurs and can be any of the 3 varieties. You can imagine how much different 5 minotaur kings with instadeath is than 1 regular minotaur. If you get a really bad draw you can always just load autosave, but it's kind of weak to do so.

>> No.3470787

>>3470776
Protection from Magic. Also, I read that Preservation protects from instadeath, is that correct?

But of course getting dogpiled is very different that fighting monsters one by one—especially with ranged fighters.

>> No.3470790

>>3470787
Only GM protection from magic gives it. You will want master bow with that team way before you get to the point you make The Choice.

Preservation only protects from negative hp, so it won't work.

>> No.3470808

>>3470790
Hm, that's weird… The manual states:

> Preservation: Spell Point Cost: 8. Expert: By more tightly binding a character’s soul to his or her body, this spell provides complete protection against instant death and eradication spells, and similar monster abilities. It also delays death due to massive hit point loss. The character will instead become unconscious. If hit points are still too low when the spell wears off, a gravely wounded character will die.

Is this not true? I for some reason always stuck to Protection from Magic, can't remember if Preservation really worked as stated.

>> No.3470810

>>3470808
Unlike a lot of what I said, I'm actually not sure on this one.

>> No.3470832

>>3470810
I'll try this next time.

I really want this to work. Instakill spells are a bane of a lot of RPGs I've played, from Earthbound to Dragon Quest. I can't believe they're the same even in such a player-friendly RPG as M&M7—and so many enemies use them from mid-game onward.

If Preservation doesn't in fact protect from them, that means there's no way you can run through the game without clerics. Even ancient wyverns in Avlee will kill you.

But if it does, then everything falls into place nicely:
even classes with expert Spirit can cast it, not to mention Preservation is expert level potion (orange+blue) and it's not that hard to come across.

>> No.3470841

>>3470832
It's way worse in MM6. Protection from magic doesn't protect against instant effect spells and is basically the same thing as fire resistance is, but for "magic" type damage. There are fewer creatures that have these types of abilities, but it makes fighting Supreme Titans (equivalent of Blood Titans in MM7) always harder than it should be.

>> No.3470874

>>3470841
That's really annoying. GreyFace mentions how it works in MM6 on his page:

>Chance that enemy will to do some bad thing to you (poison, break item and so on) is 30/(30 + LuckEffect + OtherEffect), where OtherEffect depends on that particular thing:
> …
> Weak, Asleep, Drunk, Disease, Unconscious, Afraid: EnduranceEffect
> Curse: PersonalityEffect
> Insane: IntellectEffect
> Poison: PoisonResistance
> Paralyze, Stone, Dead, Eradicated, DrainSP, Age: MagicResistance
> Break or Steal Item: Item strength

Since the game doesn't have Preservation, I have no idea how to avoid this kind of spells in MM6—except to raise magic resistance as you said. At 100 points, it would still be 20% chance though.

Also, unconscious is determined by endurance effect, which means that you never can get it lower than even 50%.

>> No.3470882

>>3470841
>>3470874
As for MM7, the formula is the same, except

> Poison, Dead, Eradicated: OtherEffect = BodyResistance

Good to know body resistance is useful at least for something.

>> No.3470927

>>3470810
>>3470808
Just checked Preservation against wyverns in Avlee. Didn't work at all. The whole party was soon dead.

Day of Protection seemed to delay the party's death a bit, but still soon my party was all dead.

>> No.3470931

>>3470927
That's what I remembered. It's always been a problem and people have always complained that GM body wasn't also given to druids and paladins which is absurd considering how strong it is.

>> No.3470941

>>3470931
I wonder how hard it would be to modify the game to give Paladins and Druids GM body.

>> No.3470947

>>3470941
It's not. I had to search through Celestial Heavens for a couple minutes to find one but this should work:
http://blimix.com/mm7/

>> No.3470989

>>3470947
This is perfect, gonna give clerics and sorcerers GM meditation along with the other stuff that was mentioned.

>> No.3471391

Does Might and Magic 4 have anything over 3 besides graphics or is it more just like an expansion? So far, it seems exactly the same but with a worse UI and more tedious gameplay.

>> No.3471456

Might as well play another random map and ramp up the difficulty to normal.
Still gonna play as skeltalmaster

>> No.3471494

>>3471391
>Does Might and Magic 4 have anything over 3 besides graphics or is it more just like an expansion? So far, it seems exactly the same but with a worse UI and more tedious gameplay.

How is the UI worse? It is the same with some adjustments such as an auto-updating journal to spare you some note-taking.
Also you really should have it installed along with MM5 for the World of Xeen bonanza.

>> No.3471661

>>3470931
>>3470941
I wonder if GrayFace would be able to fix this. After all, the spell doesn't work as stated in manual. It could potentially change the game to be much more balanced and fair.

But then again, after 2 runs, I realize M&M7 is not perfect. Some classes are pretty useless, some stuff is just plain broken. To think Haste didn't even work, or you could achieve 0 recovery with blasters… Kind of undermines my moral to re-play it. I'm fine with increased challenge; I would even try going with no healer. But I'm not fine with my characters being instakilled all the time.

>> No.3471729

>>3471391
Spell tables are more standardized (no pointless unique druid spells) and don't have a level requirement.

Day of Protection and Day of Sorcery are so much better than having to cast each spell on each character.

Enchantments are limited so you don't have anymore absurdly OP items like Obsidian Great Axe of Implosions. In fact items of implosions are b& aside from a very small number of scrolls.

The most important though is the splitting up of the different equipment items from 18 of anything to 9+9a+9+9 and key items having their own space.

Also this >>3471494

>> No.3471770
File: 121 KB, 340x460, Arrest Him.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3471456
>Might as well play another random map and ramp up the difficulty to normal.
>Up to normal

>> No.3471775

>>3471770
Not everyone is Napoleon when it comes to strategy.
I must confront my weaknesses,and pursue my strong points

>> No.3471790

>>3471775
You only start facing a competent AI once you hit hard. If it's your first few maps it's ok, but if you have played more than a handful you should be on hard or higher.

>> No.3471932

>>3471729
And Clairvoyance. That spell alone makes the game so much less frustrating.

>> No.3473719

New thread?