[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 267 KB, 1126x1000, shenmue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3427915 No.3427915 [Reply] [Original]

Was it the first "walking simulator"?

>> No.3427931

>>3427915
It had a lot of different mechanics, a walking simulator is just walking around and digesting information.

By that logic Myst was the first walking simulator.

>> No.3427935

>>3427931
You didn't walk in Myst though, you teleported between different screens.

>> No.3427950

>walked

No one did this. Everyone ran.

>> No.3427987

>>3427915
you are confusing Shenmue with Gone Homo

>> No.3428010 [DELETED] 

>>3427915
It was one of the first sandbox games.

>> No.3428034

It's an adventure game, no different from a classic point and click, with the difference being you don't point nor click instead control the character with tank controls. Mix that in with tons of different mechanics and mini games.

>> No.3428063

More importantly, was this the first "gashapon simulator?"

>> No.3428113
File: 133 KB, 256x256, LSD_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3427915
No, Shenmue had more game than most games out there, from a VF inspired fighting engine to forklifting simulation. And if those weren't your thing, you could just play one of the many games inside the game.
Pic related might be an early example of what you're looking for though, and a testament that people who dismiss exploration games outhand as non game walking simulators probably aren't the sharpest knifes in the drawer.

>> No.3428150

>>3427915
Mizzurna Falls

>> No.3428620

Any sufficiently easy game meant for young children was likely a walking simulator and it sure as fuck did not take as long as the Dreamcast for ANY definition of "walking simulator" game to surface.

>> No.3428686

A little bit off-topic, but this has been bugging me for a long time:

What's with Japan's obsession with China? I mean, Japan has karate, judo, aikido, sumo and other martial arts of its own; very distinct culture too. But lots of games ditch all this in favor of Chinese inspirations: for example, Shenmue is a lot about kung fu and China, as far as I can tell. Take Virtua Fighter (Akira uses Bajiquan, tons of other kung fu users there too), Capcom and SNK have plenty Chinese characters or kung fu users as main characters (Terry Bogard and his teacher, Chun Li, Hsien Ko). Or take manga/anime, the whole Dragon Ball has Chinese setting. Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star has kung fu users too.

Aren't Japanese supposed to hate Chinese? Shouldn't they assert the dominance of Japanese fighters in their media? I mean, sure—there are Ryu and Ken which use pretty much shotokan karate, or Mishima family, but for each of them there are some other really important characters like Chun Li and her numerous imitators, or Yun/Yang, or Akira Yuki. And there are still countless Japanese games based on Chinese legends or set in Chinese setting. Heck, Dynasty Warriors and Romance of Three Kingdoms are all about China.

>> No.3428703

>>3427915
Myst did it first
and Landscape did Myst before Myst

>> No.3428784

>>3428686
Japan secretly wishes they could control other countries like how England owns Canada, Australia, etc.

>> No.3428827

>>3428686
Practically all Japanese culture comes from China. Just like how Americans still like knights and dragons and vikings and The Odyssey and Shakespeare even though none of those things are American.

>> No.3428875

>>3428827
Um yeah, but on the other hand—it has obviously changed, and it's apparent even to foreigners.I understand that according to Wiki, the kingdoms which formed modern Japan only united in III–VIII century, and before that it was basically considered part of China. But then again, Japan has created its very own culture. If you call Japanese Chinese, they will get buttmad and call you baka gaijin.

Everything they do is distantly similar but different, from food to design to clothing. Chinese have cheongsam, Japanese have kimono. Chinese have lots of spices/sauces in cuisine, Japanese have affinity for fish. Chinese have dragons fucking everywhere, Japanese don't. Chinese have all the "animal" styles of kung fu, Japanese have karate… the list goes on and on and on. Even the core values of the cultures are similar (respect to elders for one), but different at their cores: above everything else, Japan values dignity, ascetism, modesty and determination.

That's why I'm so confused why they have a weak spot for Chinese culture, when every time some tiny piece of land above water is claimed by China or Japan, people literally go rioting over it.

>> No.3428882

You guys are forgetting that in Shenmue, you literally had to wait in order to advance the game, so most of the time spent you were just farting around waiting for the next event.

>> No.3428883

>>3428875
>Chinese have all the "animal" styles of kung fu, Japanese have karate
You do realize that karate is literally just the Japanese pronunciation of kung fu, right?

>> No.3428886
File: 1.66 MB, 500x281, 1470174990995.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>we will never conclude the story in Guilin

Just break my legs.

>> No.3428890

>>3428882
there were events though, which already puts is way over walking simulations like gone home and dear esther

there's a reason they're called "walking simulators". all you do is walk

>> No.3428913

>>3428883

I'm not sure you are right about that. They are completely different styles and doesn't mean the same thing, never did. So yeah, gonna have to call bullshit on that one. Fuck off.

>> No.3428995

>>3428883
> Karate was originally written as "Chinese hand" (唐手 literally "Tang dynasty hand") in kanji. It was later changed to a homophone meaning empty hand (空手). The original use of the word "karate" in print is attributed to Ankō Itosu; he wrote it as "唐手". The Tang Dynasty of China ended in AD 907, but the kanji representing it remains in use in Japanese language referring to China generally, in such words as "唐人街" meaning Chinatown. Thus the word "karate" was originally a way of expressing "martial art from China."

So, you're completely incorrect. I'm not that knowledgeable about karate, but from what I've heard and seen it's considered a standalone self-sufficient martial art by everyone. No one ever called it a kung-fu knock off, except maybe for some neckbeard Chinese trolls.

>> No.3429452

>>3428113
>>3428150
Too new. Ihatov monogatari for the super famicom is the right answer.

>> No.3429550

>>3427915
The correct answer is Island of the Seven Winds Story for Sega Saturn.

>> No.3430120

>>3429452
Only if it's translated might I give it a shot.

>> No.3430159

>>3428883
Kenpō / Kempo.

>> No.3430327

>>3427915

No.