[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 44 KB, 256x245, Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3413491 No.3413491 [Reply] [Original]

Was looking for RPG to play on Vita. Came across this but never got to play it. How does it compare to FF 7 / 8? Does it have a lot of content (i.e. sidequests)?

Basically debating between this or FF8. What would you choose /vr/?

>> No.3413502

It's awful. For all its flaws, FF8 blows it out of the water.

Never trust anyone who tells you Legend of Dragoon is worth playing. It's an unfun slog.

>> No.3413514

The game was mediocre. Youre not missing anything by not playing it. Just youtube the game and see what you think.

>> No.3413557

Get FF9

>> No.3413568
File: 21 KB, 340x350, 4L_DnNOGpZD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3413491
Every game you mentioned is irrefutable garbage.

>> No.3413660

>>3413568
What would you recommend?

>> No.3413695 [DELETED] 

>>3413660
An entirely different genre, you bunch of fart swallowing goofuses.

>> No.3413947

>>3413491
>Does it have a lot of content (i.e. sidequests)?

It has only one sidequest. That being said I definitely recommend it over the unfocused, muddled as fuck mess than is FF8.

>> No.3414202

the game is awesome anyone who says otherwise doesn't know how to play RPGs it's 4 fucking discs of amazing story and scenery

>> No.3414208

>>3414202
lol no

>> No.3414228

>>3413491
deciding between legend of dragoon and FF8 is like deciding between herpes or chlamydia.

>> No.3414242

>>3414228
FFVIII is herpes in this analogy.

>> No.3414279

>>3413557
OP here. Never played FF 9. I don't know why. I think the art style threw me off. If its unanimous that its better than LoD and FF 8. I'll try that one. I was debating over getting PS1 version over remastered Steam though.

>> No.3414564

>>3413491
It's shite. FF8 is too though so take your pic.

>> No.3414572
File: 167 KB, 599x598, R-7401616-1440721162-9466.jpeg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3413695
>He thinks there is someone in this thread not thinking he's a retard and a douchebag

>> No.3414575

>>3413491
Out of those two? Legend of Dragoon. They're both shit though.

>> No.3414596
File: 1.05 MB, 2126x1063, 57114001_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh wow, nevermind, everyone in this thread is a douchebag. If LOD, FF8 and FF9 are shit RPGs, then all RPGs are shit.

It's like retards buy RPGs for their gameplay, or something.

OP, LOD is a classic and so are FF8 and FF9 in every part of the world short of american middle schools, where kids are desperate to be cool with their peers, because in the US most schools are ghettoes filled with niggers, spics and all sorts of other incompatible racial anomalies, where being perceived as "not a loser" is a matter of survival from brutal barbarism. Unless you escape to an expensive private school, of course, in which you are unwittingly "that goy", paying a tuition to learn jewish values while being told how special you are and how your opinions matters oh so much, even though no one ever listens to you.

Meanwhile in europe most people had a normal childhood. I used to bring LOD and various FF games to school, and debate with my friends the good qualities of each, after which we'd go to someone's house and play bouts of FIFA, PES, Bloody Roar, Tekken or other party games we could find.

In any case, other classic PS1 RPGs are:

Grandia
Xenosaga
Chrono Cross
Wild Arms
Breath of Fire III
Star Ocean 2
Legend of Mana (it's normal to get bored of it)
Suikoden 2

And after those you can try the remaining ps1 RPGs, which are more unique and therefore tend to be hit-and-miss.

Because guess what, unless you are raised in a shithole most kids in your school won't even dream of saying a game is "SHIT". They will say "i didn't like it" and give a reason for it, like actual human beings with rational thought. Not like animals that expect something to be immediately pleasurable without any effort or understanding involved, and to desperately push their feelings on everyone else, because otherwise they will be "that kid" who's not protected by being a minority and is therefore fair game to bully.

Remember: you "win" in a hobby when you get the most enjoyment out of it.

>> No.3414601

>>3414596
Nobody is shitting on FF9 though.
>if FF8 is shit then all RPGs are shit
That is hands down the most backwards-ass logic and reasoning I've ever seen.

>> No.3414665

>>3414601
Whatever you say, billy. What are we going to look at? Sales? Reviews? Price on ebay? What other metric does your beliefs accept?

>> No.3414667

>>3414665
>What other metric does your beliefs accept?

Show of quality.

>> No.3414675

It's the most average game ever made. For every pro, there is a con, for every con there is a pro. I liked it, but then again I dug every jrpg back then. Also, it's better than FFVIII in all things but translation and voice acting (Which FFVIII doesn't have, and LoD regretably does.)

>> No.3414680

>>3414667
>Refers to subjective metrics

Opinion discarded in this barbarian's world.

>> No.3414728

>>3413491
OP, I offer you the voice of unbiased reason among this mad shitposting.
>How does it compare to FF 7 / 8
On the technical aspect?
Badly, very badly.
LoD had mediocre graphics when it came out, there isn't really much else that can be said, the polygon count is pretty low and the models are primitive and rough around the edges compared to FFVIII and only a step above FFVII, the textures are so so, don't expect anything mindblowing.
The world map is simply a series of corridors that lead you to cities or dungeons, so don't expect you can explore the map freely like you do in FFVII/VIII, no such thing.
The battle animations are decent, some choreography is pretty good and the henshin are nice if you're in that sort of thing, but they're mad long and get tedious really fast, luckily you can skip them by pressing start.
The music varies from forgettable to bretty gud, but that's something subjective anyway, the actual quality of the samples used is very low though so don't expect it to sound as clear as FFVII or VIII, most battle themes are muffled to hell and back, which is a shame since a few of them are rather catchy.
The game has a grand total of TWO sidequests, one of which is clicking X everywhere to find invisible items called Stardust, and there's a ton of them, some permanently missable too, so you might want to check a guide for that.
Gameplay is mediocre and unbalanced(but then again, it's not like any FF is that much better, but at least it's usually slightly more expanded), additions are fun but get old fairly quickly, as most rhythm based minigames.
The story has a few instances of bad writing but is overall okay, if not very predictable, but again, this is subjective, you might enjoy it more than I did.

There are better games as much as there are worse ones out there, FFVIII is technically speaking the superior product though, excluding subjective values of course.

>> No.3414815

You guys are all faggots.

LoD os great. The addition system and Dragoon battles alone make it better than "press circle to attack, wait, press circle to attack and wait". The graphics were bad but the artwork and general mood/theme of the game was great. Story wasnt bad either. Solid 7/10 game.

>> No.3414893

>>3414728
OP here. Thanks for being straightforward. I never played FF9 though. A lot of people say its def superior to FF8 but I think I'm one of the few who loved 8. What would you recommend?

>> No.3414985

>>3413491
I would say that LoD is one of the worst JRPGs in ps1 library, literally shadow madness tier. Combat system is built around repeatedly doing one QTE per character for the entire battle, setting stinks of the worst fantasy shounenshit cliches possible, encounter rate feels as annoying as in original skies of arcadia. Fabled dragoon transformations end up being weaker than basic addition spam. Plus the game just looks butt ugly, i would say character models are FF7-tier but without its charm.

For all its faults, FF8 is miles ahead of this hot garbage. And i don't really like FF8.

>> No.3414992

>>3414893
You're welcome.
>A lot of people say its def superior to FF8 but I think I'm one of the few who loved 8. What would you recommend?

I don't know man, it's a matter of perspective.
FFVIII tried to do something new with its Junction system, and although the game has huge balancing problems(like all FF anyway) I appreciated what they tried to do, trying to break free from the usual bland systems is always a good thing in my book. I also liked level scaling though it didn't amount to much and Triple Triad was great, all the rest is a matter of tastes, I didn't dislike most characters though I vastly preferred Laguna's, the story kinda falls apart during the second/third disc but the music, aesthetics and graphical quality made up for it.
FFIX is technically more advanced than VIII, better models, better textures, more content in terms of sidequests and minigames, there's quite a lot to see and do, the battles however are terribly, terribly slow, it's not a meme and it's one thing that really brings the game down, but the contents of the game generally makes it worth it.
As for the story, it's the average FF fare, nothing more nothing less, if you've played the other games you'll enjoy the amounts of references and cameos, though sometimes the game relies too heavily on them for my tastes and kinda suffers in terms of originality, the game also returns to SD style for its characters as opposed to FFVIII more realistic style, which can be a good or a bad thing, music is good but I vastly prefer FFVIII, aesthetically speaking, you'll enjoy it if you like standard medieval fantasy design with a few magical sci-fi stuff here and there, it was definitely well done and you can see they really poured some love into it.
Gameplay wise, I didn't like it at all because it goes back to FFIV's system of having defined characters with their own set of skills and it's as boring as FFIV, albeit with more options obviously, but to each his own. >>>

>> No.3414993

>>3414992

Trance was a good idea but it was badly implemented just as FFVIII Limit system, but for different reasons as it's vastly useless with a few exceptions when FFVIII limits carried the entire game by how broken they were.
All in all, it suffers from the same exact problem as all FF, nice presentation, lackluster mechanics with a few decent idea but ruined by terrible balance and non existent difficulty, there is a shitload of subquests though and I mean it, you'll have your hands full with this game if you want to squeeze everything out of it.

All in all, if you like FF go for it, it's a good title if you're into that kind of RPG.
Unless you're curious about other titles that is, depending on your PSN account you can get some really nice "minor" RPGs, BoFIV, Arc the Lad trilogy and so on, just ask, chances are I played those games and can give you an opinion.

>> No.3415007

>>3414993
Well its not that I prefer jRPGs but since I want one for Vita its pretty much what Im stuck with

>> No.3415015

>>3415007
You might want to check your PSN catalogue though, you might find something more suited for your taste, though I fear there's not all that much outside of the JP one.

>> No.3415017

>>3413491

Get LoD.

At least the combat is more engaging.

Also FF8 is terrible. Plot, combat, most of the cast; just poorly made. Looks like shit as well.

>> No.3415076
File: 18 KB, 330x327, Shadow_tower_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Was looking around their catalog and came across this Shadow Tower. This looks interesting. Any thoughts?

>> No.3415156

>>3415076
It's closely related to the King's Field games, if you happen to have played one of them. It's a relatively slow-paced game focused largely on exploration and resource management. The dungeon is huge, fairly open (you almost always have several choices of where to go) and full of secrets.

The combat may seem clumsy at first, but it's actually not too bad once you get used to your reach and how to maneuver. The strong enemy variety goes a long way towards keeping things interesting in that regard, as does the high threat level nearly every foe presents. You simply cannot afford to trade hits, and you're in deep shit if something sneaks up on you or you get surrounded.

I love the game, but it's not going to appeal to everyone.

>> No.3415210

>>3415076
It's a first person RPG similar to King's Field or Ultima Underworld.
It's a great game if you like that kind of stuff and don't mind being spooped, the difficulty might seem unfair but imagine you're playing a survival game and you'll do fine.
One thing you'll immediately notice is that there's no music, it's not a bug or something, there's no music at all, so learn to recognize which enemy does which sound and listen carefully to your surroundings, it will save your ass more than you'd imagine.
It's a one of kind game though, and as>>3415156 says, it's not for everyone, if you like dungeon crawlers/horror/survival games then you'll probably love it, but keep in mind that the game is fairly open and gives you no direction whatsoever, especially with puzzles or keys, it might be frustrating to some people.
The graphics are fairly nice though and while the combat takes a bit to get used to it's pretty fun, save often since it's very easy to die.
There's also quite a few secrets between routes and hidden rooms, it's quite pleasant to investigate and generally exploring if you like that kind of thing.
For some things, it also helped inspire the Soul series together with King's Field, but Shadow Tower has more explicit references, or rather, the contrary.

>> No.3415408

>>3415156
>>3415210

Let me ask this. Is it like the dundeons in old school Elder Scrolls games? The combat reminded me of it. If so, that'll prob be my choice.

>> No.3415612

>>3415408
>Is it like the dundeons in old school Elder Scrolls games?
Kind of, yeah.

>> No.3415918

>>3414985
You make some valid points, but I'd still take a game as bland and by-the-numbers as LoD over a game like FF8 which tries way too hard to be deep only to fail miserably.

>> No.3415929

>>3415918
You know, FF8 at least had moments. Adell's messages from the space on Timber tv station monitors. Renzokuken having unique animations against some bosses. Seifer murdering Odin. It spectacularly fails in many aspects and Rinoa is the worst romantic female lead in JRPG history but you can at least see interesting concepts here and there. LoD is just horrifyingly bland all the way in, it just feels ridiculously uninspired in every single aspect and i really can't say that it's better than FF8.

>> No.3415981 [SPOILER] 
File: 64 KB, 640x480, 1470787224724.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3415929

I can point to many a moment in LoD as well.

Concepts don't really mean shit if you don't execute them well. LoD is safe but it's also not mindbogglingly retarded and there's at least some sense of character's with personality. It's at the very minimum a functioning story.

>> No.3416081

>>3413491
>How does it compare to FF 7 / 8?
Plot is kind of a mix of the two with no tech until the end, kinda worse in some parts. Battle system is different in a very love-or-hate kind of way, look up a gameplay video first.

>Does it have a lot of content (i.e. sidequests)?
No, there's only a couple of sidequests. There's enough content to keep you busy for a while but you won't even find much when backtracking at all, save for one Dragoon Spirit you can buy.

>> No.3416146

I really like Legend of Dragoon but I think it's largely because they did a great job creating an interesting and exciting atmostphere with graphics, score, and sound design. For that reason I love the game, but you will notice typos ok to bad writing throughout the game.
It's a shame because it could have been much better if they just spent a little more time with it.

Try it and if you don't get into it, after a few hours just try something something. I think it's hit or miss for a lot of people.

>> No.3416626

>>3415929
LoD has many moments as well. Bro moments to be exact. The ending with the glass being left filled next to that one picture is tears moment.

Haschel's battle on the moon is another.

>> No.3418861
File: 343 KB, 2000x1500, 1pvdd2v.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT: /vr/ gets exposed for their pleb taste

>> No.3418885

>LoD
loved the additions and the fact that your party feels like a team even though they're a bit cliche
rose and haschel are cool though
story's ok too
OST is a bit bland but it jas its moments
but the dialogue is really bad, partly due to the poor translation
world map is also terrible and switching discs to get to early areas sucked
but really, I've had more fun doing additions than in most FFs or JRPGs I've played
oh and it's probably the only JRPG with a useful Defend command

>FFVIII
fantastic OST, interesting if a bit abusable junction system, cool card game (I tire of it quickly though)
tedious drawing to get spells
Squall and Laguna are cool, Rinoa is annoying and everyone else is kinda forgettable
story is a bit batshit insane but I liked it because at least it didn't bore me
renzokuken and duel were fun, actually VIII may have my favourite limit break and summon system of the FFranchise

both games get shat on a bit too much imo

>> No.3419249
File: 493 KB, 602x541, 1465166809576.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>legend of dragoon is bad

looks like /vr/ finally got its own meme.

>> No.3419338

>>3419249
No, NOT RETRO was the first meme.

>> No.3419347
File: 104 KB, 450x495, WelcometothehouseofSlambert.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3419249
LoD was never good.
That said

HARPOON!

>> No.3419354

>>3419347
BLAZING, DYNAMAO!

God I love the voice acting in battle, fits like a glove even though uncensored Demon's Gate is hilarious on it's own. FMVs sucked dick outside of priests though.

>> No.3419376

>>3419338
>>3419249
And then there was me and my wife.

/vr/'s always been divided on LoD. Everyone is really. It's either shit or amazing.

>> No.3419419

>>3419338
CRT is the second right?

>> No.3420450

>>3413502

Shut the fuck up and kill yourself you peice of shit, how dare you fucking say that final faggotry is better than LoD? And 8, no less? You're a goddamn cunt, is what you are. You're a shitbag and I hope muzzies kill your family. And rape them afterwards.

>> No.3420463
File: 279 KB, 577x1025, PART_1412202400618.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3420450

>> No.3420516

>>3420463

the fuck is wrong with your tv

>> No.3420560

>>3420516
Im curious too

>> No.3420597
File: 40 KB, 655x630, morelikelegendofshit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This game got rightfully slaughtered by reviewers. It's literally "We need a blockbuster RPG, so make something, anything!: the game." It brings nothing new to the table besides the combat system - you can just tell Sony saw Final Fantasy 7 and thought "wow, so this is what a good game looks like. We can do this, can't we? Yoshida, I'm giving you $17 million, don't fail me!" There was zero vision on this project.

Three years, literally an aeon in development time, pass. Legend of Dragoon comes out. Ah, but wait - FF8 comes out NINE MONTHS EARLIER. Imagine playing FF8, and then you have to devolve your tastes just to stomach Legend of Dragoon's hideous models, forgettable music and uninspired locations. I'd sooner neck myself. And to think Vagrant Story, another pinnacle of the PS1, came out just two months after this. It almost makes you feel sorry for Sony's internal development teams.

>> No.3420616

>>3420597

>That last review
yeah that was really similar how both games had characters who where...blond and had swords.

>> No.3420905

>>3419347
SPINNING CANE

>> No.3421046

>>3420516
>>3420560
It's a samsung. Buddy got it for free and made it the garage tv. Died slowly over the course of a year. He would actually play games on it for whatever reason.

>> No.3421198

>>3419354
>spoiler
Here, have a video of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCqvHUk-qMw

>> No.3421215
File: 858 KB, 1024x576, consider the following.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3420597

>> No.3421218
File: 152 KB, 500x334, 5680284990_f073075cea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Which button do I press to kill everyone in this thread?

>> No.3421378

ff8 isn't perfect but it's leagues better than legend of the dragoon.

I couldn't even finish dragoon. the combat was interested but developing your character was boring. ff8 is broken if you abuse the junction system. both games look decent. ff8 is definitely the more interesting world with a better story. ff8 has great music.

>> No.3422748

>>3413491
not retro but you can get Growlanser 4 on vita and its fabulous

>> No.3423945

>>3422748
Cool. I'll take a look into it

>> No.3424013

>>3413491
>Came across this but never got to play it. How does it compare to FF 7 / 8?

It's a soulless cash in on the popularity of those games by Sony. The only real thing of merit the game had was the quality of the cutscenes and the amount of voice acting it compared to other jrpgs at the time.

>> No.3424808

>>3424013
>It's a soulless cash in on whatever's popular by Sony.

So like every other game they made?

>The only real thing of merit the game had was the quality of the cutscenes and the amount of voice acting it compared to other jrpgs at the time.

Even the voice acting was shit by PS1 standards. Not to mention Chrono Cross came out exactly the same time and looks infinitely better.