[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 27 KB, 616x347, SNES-PlayStation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3401616 No.3401616 [Reply] [Original]

Will there ever be games that make use of the Nintendo Play Station hardware?

>> No.3401660
File: 2.16 MB, 400x225, 4704814-6051052760-tYFXT.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3401616
You could get equivalent functionality with a custom cart.

Simple memory mapper could be used to exceed 8MB limit.

Carts can output music that gets mixed into sound after the ADSP but before being output.

There is literally no reason to make games for this thing.

Moreover, I think it partially defeats the spirit of the SNES, much like the gay-ass MPU-1 or whatever that byuu help design.

>> No.3401668

It just blows my mind that a simple CD add-on caused enough butthurt to change the videogame history forever.

>> No.3401735

>>3401668
The key was the market was transitioning formats, from one substantially more expensive and low density (albeit much faster), to one dirt cheap and extremely high density (and slow as balls). Sony has always tried to push formats because they recognize that's the way to lock people in to technology and provide a steady revenue source (Beta, MiniDisc, BluRay, UMD etc. etc.). They saw how video games where making a killing, and saw CDs were the next evolution, and made an extremely good business call to break and run with all they learned about console design from their collaboration with Nintendo. It wasn't just the addon, the time was just ripe for more competitors to jump into the market and dominate the market with more powerful hardware than what Nintendo traditionally offers.

>> No.3401868

>>3401668
Would a Nintendo+Sony monopoly on the console market be a better future than what we've ended up with?

>> No.3402119

>>3401660
>>Moreover, I think it partially defeats the spirit of the SNES, much like the gay-ass MPU-1 or whatever that byuu help design.
I missed this, what is this? I can't find on google

>> No.3402126
File: 106 KB, 1024x683, 2016-07-12-image-17[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3401616
There's that one boss rush game that game out a few weeks ago. As far as I know, it's just a rom on a cd.

>> No.3402128

>>3402119
Some extra chip that's in one of the SNES everdrives. Let the SNES do fmv and CD quality music. Bsnes also can emulate it.

>> No.3402137

>>3402128
>CD quality music
Pretty sure the normal SNES claimed to offer CD quality sound. I know they probably meant it was 16/44.1 but making a new chip that does what they claimed was possible anyway looks a bit wanky.

>> No.3402228

>>3401668
it didn't. they way nintendo treated sony on that one fateful day did.

>> No.3402230

>>3401616
will there every be games made for a hardware that never existed past few existing prototypes?

seriously, what would be the point?

maybe emulating the entire thing to facilitate making snes games with more data storage options (when mods/translation hacks get pretty tight with memory), but i doubt there would be anything practical past that.

>> No.3402261

>>3401616
Yeah. They were all released on the SNES and PS1 respectively.

>> No.3402276

>>3401616
Someone did make a game, it's called Super Boss Gaiden. And honestly I was always curious too, but Ben Heck's analysis during his recent teardown and restoration of the existing prototype tells us that what we would have gotten wouldn't have been even slightly better than cartridge snes games, just cd quality music and perhaps even fmvs. That's one of the reasons it didn't see the light of day IMO

>> No.3402292

>>3402137
normal SNES can do only 4bit 32khz, and doesn't have enough memory to do more than a few short samples of voices.

With CD they could stream half a days worth of music in that quality though, but the machine also has analog audio input so they can just stream cd audio anyway.

>> No.3402479

>>3402292
It's 16bit 32khz, 4bit is the sample size when compressed.

>> No.3402640

Did SNES-CD add any extra specs to the system? Like more RAM or anything.

>> No.3402804

>>3402479
>>3402292
What's really fucking sad is that it is really 3-bit. That 4th bit gets lost in decode.

>> No.3403830
File: 1.90 MB, 316x213, 1466968746300.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3401868
No. What made the whole Sony console release revolutionary was that it proved that Nintendo wasn't invincible. Companies that were long time Nintendo developers started jumping onto the Sony bandwagon. Most of it was due to years of abuse by Nintendo damn near monopolizing the market. They essentially stifled innovation in games with their policies. Sony allowed for developers to do what they wanted. Also allowing Microsoft to jump into the arena which in turn really pushed online gameplay in consoles. So I'd rather not know what Orwellian state video games would be in if the two companies didn't split.

>> No.3403837

>>3401660
What is the source of this gif?

>> No.3403847

>>3403837

DBZ, a filler episode meanwhile Goku was training before the first Vegeta fight.

>> No.3403856

>>3401868
Yes, because it would have prevented microsoft from entering the market and bringing all the frat boys and chad bros into the industry.

>> No.3404069

>>3403830

And then we got a lot of shit games with over blown graphics and so-called triple-A developers that produce the exact same game every year. If there is one thing to say about the Nintendo era it's most of the games didn't suck.

>> No.3404252

>>3404069
>And then we got a lot of shit games with over blown graphics
Also happened on both NES/SNES.

>and so-called triple-A developers that produce the exact same game every year.
Mega Man.

>If there is one thing to say about the Nintendo era it's most of the games didn't suck.
>most of the games didn't suck.
Yeah, about that..

>> No.3404301

>>3402128
surely it's not a "feature" enabled by default... right?

>> No.3404302

>>3401668
Do you not know the story of Sony and Nintendo and Phillips? It's really a rather interesting love-triangle-turned-three-warring-kingdoms story where Nintendo plays the role of the scorned woman with Philips and Sony being former best friends-turned-bitter-rivals.
Philips and Sony were work friends. They got together and invented a few things. However, as all collaborations do, it turned rivalrous and sour. It all started in the 70s and the development of CD technology. The two were in a race to be the first to create optical discs. I don't remember which one actually pulled it off first, but they each developed prototypes around the same time. They then worked in tandem in order to standardise CD throughout the world.
Philips already had fat coffers from the invention of the audio cassette about 10 years earlier (they basically copied the American invention of the videocassette from a decade earlier still, made it smaller and omitted video capabilities) and Sony was already soured on the relationship, feeling that Philips was getting all the credit for CD when it really was about a 50/50 joint venture, so the collaboration ended and the two grew to dislike each other.

Sometime after, Nintendo and Sony began dating. They were in love. They planned on having a baby together. But before Sony would put even just the tip in, he asked Nintendo for a prenup stipulating that the baby be raised in a certain way. Nintendo balked. "I WANT TOTAL CONTROL OF EVERYTHING, ALWAYS AND FOREVER!!!" So Sony was like "You know what? I'm done. I am so done. I'm gonna find a way to have a baby without needing to get in bed with a controlling skank."

>> No.3404307

>>3404302
Nintendo, dejected, ran like a bitch into Philips arms, spreading her legs like a whore, hoping to hurt Sony by getting dicked down by his best frenemy. "FUCK ME!" she squealed "AND ABUSE MY BABIES BEYOND ALL REASON!!"
And so, the Sony/Nintendo baby, the SNES-CD, never came to be, the single-parent Sony baby, the Playstation was born and the Nintendo/Philips children that should have been aborted rather than born, the CD-I games, were carried to term.

The "prenup" here was a contract wherein Nintendo would give some control of their IPs to Sony, which they originally found problem with. Oddly, some time later, they did with Philips. Only Allah knows why. Additionally, Sony was very, very critical of Nintendo's micromanaging business model and wanted to implement a more laissez-faire, Quaker-inspired model for the SNES-CD (Sony was founded on Quaker principals and still uses a few in how it conducts business). This was also in the contract.

See, to do business with Nintendo, you had to give them an arm and a leg, pay ridiculous licensing fees and sell your soul to Pan, the goat god. Sony thought that continuing that way would embitter third party developers who would have to pay for expensive chipsets from the hardware developer. CD was meant to circumvent that need. See: N64's v PS's third party libraries for evidence on who was right and who was wrong.

Shortly after Sony and Nintendo's breakup, Philips and Sony reconciled and together created DVD (1995, IIRC) ]. Philips then developed Blu Ray on their own in 1997 (yes: that early, believe it or not), then expanded on the invention with Sony's help in 2006.

>> No.3404525

>>3404252
>Also happened on both NES/SNES.
>Yeah, about that..
Not to the same degree as today, at least.

Can you list five amazing or innovative games made in the past few years?

>> No.3404732

>>3402119
>>3402128
It's MSU-1, they've added CD quality sound and FMV to a select few SNES titles. It's kinda cool in a gimmicky sorta way.

>> No.3404775

>>3404732
Is that what Space Ace used for its wanky FMV clips?

>> No.3404806

>>3404525
Is that really the fault of Sony and MS though? Or is it more the fault of a changing market in which games cost so much to make that it's only reasonable for companies to either treat them like blockbuster movies or not make them at all? You gotta remember, development on all the systems was chump change compared to the amount of money that goes into modern AAA titles, and looking at how badly some of them run it likely wasn't programming and bugtesting that ate up all that cash.

>> No.3406029

>>3404525
Undertale, Undertale, Undertale, Undertale and Undertale.