[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.28 MB, 1500x1094, The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_box_art.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3392532 No.3392532 [Reply] [Original]

What do you think about this game /vr/?

http://www.strawpoll.me/10863634

>> No.3392631

>>3392532
I gave it a 10/10.
don't even need to think about it.
I know it very well too. so glad this game was part of my childhood.

>> No.3392734

>>3392631
I gave it a 10 too rofl

if oot doesn't deserve a 10 I dont know what does, especally back in '98

>> No.3392752

>>3392532
Rated it a 5/10.

Graphics are incredibly dated but more importantly, the camera (including first person view) is horrible, the framerate hurts my eyes and the controls could've been better. Furthermore the unskippable cutscenes are painful to sit through, they drag on for too long and just not interesting enough to justify it.

>> No.3392769
File: 43 KB, 820x820, sponge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3392752
nigga

>> No.3392778

for it's time not much stood against it.

Even today within the last few years i've played through it on the VC on the wii, still stands the test of time.

it's in my top 10 favorite games of all time for sure. if not top 3

>> No.3392807

>>3392532
Ignoring it's historical significance, it's a still a pretty great game. I'll put down a list of pros and cons.
Pros
>Dungeons are atmospheric and satisfying to go through with excelent music.
>Lots of little hidden secrets that are fun to find that make exploring outside of the main narritve rewarding and fun.
>Sword and item combat is fun and easy to control.
>Awesome soundtrack from the temple ambiance to the frantic boss battle themes.
>Excelent sound design. Your sword strikes sound impactful, your magic items have loud thumping effects that make them feel as powerful as they are, enemies have unique sounds that lend a lot of character to the scenes they appear.

Cons
>The story, like most video games unfortunately, is quite bad. It has some intrigue here and there but it all makes very little sense. The game never feels like it really has stakes. Ganondorf during the majority of the game is basically non existant, presumably after conquring Hyrule he just sits in his tower playing his organ all day.
>The word doesn't feel lived in. Hyrule has more far more people than beds, no bathrooms, seemingly just as many castle guards as there are private citizens, source of food outside of cows, fish, and milk, and more shooting galleries and minigame houses than places for people to live.
>The game's difficulty curve is very flat. From the Deku Tree to Ganon's Castle it's pretty much the same level of challenge throughout.
>unskippable cutscenes, infodumps,and countless characters that are supposed to be important but get almost no screen time.
>The horse, albeit usefull, can be a pain to control sometimes.
>Navi

7/10

>> No.3392810

>>3392532
Daily reminder that Dark Souls is Zelda for grown-ups and has made Zelda entirely irrelevant if you're not 12.

>> No.3392815

It's a great game, and the fact that Nintendo was able to make a game that good in spite of the awful N64 controller is impressive.

>> No.3392820

>>3392532
Great game no flaws.

>> No.3392825

>>3392815

If you want to see devs who did impressive things with the N64 controller, check out Treasure's games.

>> No.3392826

>>3392810
>Dark Souls
>good
The King's Field series was better.

>> No.3392842

>>3392826
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

*wipes tears*

Oh god, I -

AHAHAHAHHAA

phew.

*tips fedora*

>> No.3392846

>>3392532
6/10

>> No.3392889

>>3392734
>especally back in '98

it was one of the defining games back then because games went from 2D to 3D.

MGS1 and FF7 were just as important.

>> No.3392893 [DELETED] 
File: 14 KB, 236x403, senpai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3392842
https://www.tumblr.com/

>> No.3392902 [DELETED] 

>>3392889
MGS1 is the birthplace of cinematic cancer. It's shit and so is your taste.

Final Fantasy is RPG cancer. Again your taste is terrible and you should kys.

>> No.3392905 [DELETED] 
File: 135 KB, 350x350, edgelord.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3392902

>> No.3392906 [DELETED] 

>>3392905
nice meme

>> No.3392908 [DELETED] 
File: 323 KB, 256x192, fex.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3392906
ty

>> No.3392914

>>3392810
>One is a ARPG with a focus on item descriptions for lore and a non-linear progression
>The other is an action-adventure title with a focus on environmental puzzles, environment-centric power ups, and a straightforward narrative
Now if we're talking Dark Souls in comparison with, say, Breath of the Wild, the comparison might be more apt, except BotW is more open-ended and non linear in world design.

>> No.3392919

>>3392810
>>3392914
>Dark Souls
>Breath of the Wild
>/vr/
>>>/v/

>> No.3392929

>>3392919
>you
>your life
>your face
>your vidya skills
>not sucking
>>>/out/

>> No.3392934 [DELETED] 

>>3392902
please go back to /v/. I can already tell you're from /v/. that was completely unnecessary and you missed the whole point. just leave.

>> No.3392941 [DELETED] 

>>3392934
i've been on this board since the day it was made. if i hurt your pussy that much you're free to go back to rebbit.

and god just read your post over you fucking faggot. how much of a pussy do you even have to be? it's the most whiny impotent thing i've ever read. do you really thing your limp wristery has any effect at all but to encourage me to call you the fucking queef that you are?

cry more this isn't your hugbox you vagina.

>> No.3392949 [DELETED] 

>>3392941
lol, that fedora of yours sure sits tight today. get some fresh air.

or did a dog shit into your soup?

>> No.3392951 [DELETED] 

>>3392949
whats that rebbit? you're menstruating again? sorry i cant hear you over the sounds of your vaginal queefs

>> No.3392995
File: 220 KB, 640x472, Ocarina of Time.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Greatest video game of all-time.

But I put Super Mario Bros., Grand Theft Auto 3, Doom and Super Metroid up there with it.

>> No.3393117

Objectively speaking, it's a masterpiece of software design and one of the most important video games ever made.

So, yeah.

>> No.3393234
File: 96 KB, 231x600, 231px-ReDead.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3392532
I'd never played it before that guy spammed it a few weeks ago, picked it up and finished it over a weekend.

It was really good. I'd heard it was good, but I figured most of it was nostalgia goggles so went in with low expectations. I didn't think an N64 game from 1998 could be so massive and detailed. The story, music, dungeons, just the right amount of difficulty, puzzles that are challenging but not too frustrating. Horse riding, cool enemies, boss fights. Unlike the above anon, framerate wasn't a problem for me as I got used to it quickly, had no problems with the camera and graphics of old games don't bother me.

Only parts I hated were the shooting galleries, very frustrating with the N64 stick. The water dungeon wasn't actually as bad as I'd heard it was. Also fuck these things and the Dead Hand, creepy as all hell. But yeah, solid 10/10.

I'm getting into Majora's Mask this weekend so hopefully it's just as good.

>> No.3393391

>>3392825
I love Mischief Makers, I'm talking more about the type of game OoT is. It's impressive that Nintendo was able to make a game like OoT as good as it is despite the N64 controller.

Even in 1998 I recognized that only being able to change the camera angle through pressing the Z-button wasn't ideal and the N64's control stick has always only been serviceable at best.

>> No.3393427
File: 1.67 MB, 1920x1080, Majora1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3392532
It's great and was revolutionary, but it's dated badly. Majoras Mask is far better and is my pick for best Zelda game ever.

Let me clarify. Majoras Mask 3D on 3DS is. Because FUCK the N64. I can't stand the thought of those blocky shit graphics and 20FPS tragedy. OOT and MM on 3DS ONLY, could not possibly recommend them on N64. The 3DS versions also smooth out shitty problems in the originals, with the standout fixes being fixing the Water Temple in OOT and letting you skip forward by hour in MM. Just far better all around.

>> No.3393454

>>3393427
To clarify: there was never any "shitty problem" with the Water Temple in OOT. No unusual level of difficulty or weird puzzle, never anything to be "fixed". Shitty millenial meme more like.

>> No.3393458

What are teh differences between GameCube and virtual console for wii and vc for wifi u?

>> No.3393462

>>3393454
WRONG. Having to go to the slow as fuck menu and painstakingly change your boots every 5 seconds is notorious for ruining that dungeon. If you don't think that ruined the dungeon, your nostalgia is blinding you. And also, of course, the 15-20FPS blocky visuals have aged like milk and I and many others refuse to look at them now that we're out of that forsaken N64 era.

>> No.3393463

>haven't played OoT in years
>want to get it going on an emulator
>remember how brutal it is trying to aim the bow with emulator controls
It's a good game though OP. Malon will always be my true waifu.

>> No.3393573

>>3393462
I never had a problem with the water temple as a kid, when I went back and replayed OoT last year on the console the whole boot-switching thing didn't bother me at all. It takes maybe 2 seconds to change them, and you don't have to swap boots all that often. It would have been a better choice to put them as a C-button option like most items (as they did in the remake), but its hardly an annoyance and doesn't affect 95% of the game.

I think emulators exacerbate the issue as I recall it took a long time to bring up the pause menu in Project64. Also OoT has aged beautifully and is one of the best looking early 3D games.

>> No.3393582

>>3393573
>I never had a problem
Do you want a fucking cookie?
>It takes maybe two seconds
Longer than that.
>you don't have to swap boots all that often
But you did, actually.
>...C-button...
Yes, this is the problem exactly. The remake fixed it.
>OoT has aged beautifully
No. Please. It looked good for its time, maybe, but 15-20FPS blocky blurry shit is really unacceptable. At the very least, Zelda happens to be a series whose slow and methodical pace doesn't require a high framerate, 30 is fine for the rest of the 3d games, but the not 30 but 15-20FPS, AND the blocky blurry visuals, both combined to make a game(s) that you'll never want to look at again once that early 3d era thankfully ended. And you'll never have to because the 3DS remakes exist! Maybe you're just upset that you don't have a 3DS to play them on.

>> No.3393585

10/10 game but it's like my 6th favourite Zelda game

>> No.3393598

>>3392752
Gave it a 5/10 also, agree with you for the same reasons.

Enjoyed it a lot when I was younger, played it again recently and realized the terrible framerate & cutscenes ruin the game.

Once you're used to the Souls games, you can't go back to earlier offerings of 3D action-RPG's. They're honestly too slow.

>> No.3393605

>>3393573

It's definitely th emulator babbis crying about OoT and the water temple.

>> No.3393606

>>3393427
>Because FUCK the N64. I can't stand the thought of those blocky shit graphics and 20FPS
Meh. I've experienced games from that era with worse looking visuals and framerates, and not just on the N64 either. In comparison to those, OOT/MM 64 aged better actually.

>OOT and MM on 3DS ONLY
You mean those enhanced ports that barely add in new content while making the games look actually worse despite having much more advanced hardware? Yeah.. nah.

>>3393598
>Once you're used to the Souls games, you can't go back to earlier offerings of 3D action-RPG's. They're honestly too slow
I've played the Souls games and I've found them too boring and drab for my liking, so..

>> No.3393609

Like all Zelda games, it has been extremely overhyped in US. People swear by this game, which is, objectively speaking, good, but nothing to write home about.

Americans have some kind of reality distortion field about this game, because quite honestly, I tried most Zelda games and all of them didn't really keep me wanting more. My favorite Zelda game is, and was, Crystalis.

Now, OoT actually translated Zelda gameplay to 3D really well. The dungeons are really good but in 3D. Despite the combat is simplified as usual, overall the game offers some solid action/adventure.

And that'd be great if it wasn't for the horrifyingly average, but lengthy other parts of the game—outside the dungeons. Cities, castles and so on. All of them are as lively as Pokemon cities. None of them have any worth. The cartoon-like plot never really evokes any feelings.

I just wish Zelda was an uninterrupted string of dungeons after dungeons, but with some variety added, which actually took some skill/thinking. And maybe made combat less of one button mashing. Then maybe I'd play it. Otherwise, I feel really glad I won't waste my time on finishing such a meme game with such a shit fanbase.

>> No.3393610

>>3393582

Technical specs don't mean shit for good gameplay and good pacing.

Zelda 2 is the best Zelda for a reason. Despite what top down babbis think.

>> No.3393613

>>3393606
>I've played the Souls games and I've found them too boring and drab for my liking, so..
>casul detected

>> No.3393614

>>3393573
Emulators screw that game up, certainly freezes or slows it down. Project 64 is one example.

Best is using it on real cobsole or hardware clones.

Even the Vc wifi u version and gamecube one are better than the emulators.

But the best two is the n64 firstly or Wii u secondly.

The remake isn't really the real game but a remake.

>> No.3393653
File: 17 KB, 354x283, ....jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3393613
Soulsbabby plz. That series on its own is nothing more than a casualized King's Field minus some of the charm.

>>3393609
>And that'd be great if it wasn't for the horrifyingly average, but lengthy other parts of the game—outside the dungeons. Cities, castles and so on. All of them are as lively as Pokemon cities. None of them have any worth. The cartoon-like plot never really evokes any feelings.
I personally don't mind the locales and the plot being as shallow as they are personally. Sometimes they can lead you to get some really cool shit and anyways it's not like I'm expecting vidya gaems to have storytelling qualities that go past above-average anyways. That said, I can still see why you're not much of a fan. Mind listing more action-adventures you like at least?

>> No.3393674

>>3393610
A great game can be ruined when you have to watch a slideshow of it through a shitty, blurry lens.

>> No.3393684

>>3393674
Nah. If anything looking at it through a bland, plasticine lens cheapens the experience even more.

>> No.3393696

>>3392532
I like it

>> No.3393701

I recently played OOT again after not having played it in a decade and a lot of the criticism in this thread are relatively accruate to varying degrees.

The biggest issue really is that the world, while fun for exploring, doesn't feel lived in at all. What's worse, is you don't even get to see things get happy and cool again after you beat the game - zora's cavern never unfreezes, for example. The Eathbound model (later used by undertale) where you get to run around the world and explore after beating the game is better but I can kind of understand why that may have been too much to ask of the developers for a N64 game, as lots of N64 games had this exact same issue - Mario 64, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark...

>> No.3393738

>>3393701
>What's worse, is you don't even get to see things get happy and cool again after you beat the game - zora's cavern never unfreezes, for example.
If the credits are of any indication, then it's very much implied that the Zora's Domain actually did unfreeze at some point in time after Ganon's defeat.

>The Eathbound model (later used by undertale) where you get to run around the world and explore after beating the game is better
I.. quite don't don't understand this element at all. Like, what reason is there to continue playing the game even after the main story is finished and your character has accomplished his/her goals? I mean, it can be beneficial for completing a few remaining sidequests you've missed here and there, but even after those what's the point really? I think the New Game+ idea is a better implementation of post game content personally.

>> No.3393748

>>3393610
>zelda 2
>good
where did this shitty meme come from? literally everyone hated that game during the nintendo era

>> No.3393791

>>3393738
The idea of the "Earthbound ending" does allow completion of unfinished sidequests, but most importantly, it gives better closure and is far more satisfying than a typical credits sequence. You get to go around and see for yourself the payoff for your valiant efforts saving everyone through the game, getting to see the lives of all the familiar characters you met improve for yourself. In most games, you see the cutscenes/credits crawl of the world returning to order, but loading a save loads the world as it was right before you fight the last boss.

>> No.3393802

>>3393684
That was exactly my point, dumbass. OOT and MM, now that we've left that awful early 3d era, are ruined by the graphics. Which is why you should only consider the 3DS versions.

>> No.3393803

i voted 1 because i'm a troll

>> No.3393807
File: 2.61 MB, 640x360, oot.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3393582
>No. Please. It looked good for its time, maybe, but 15-20FPS blocky blurry shit is really unacceptable. At the very least, Zelda happens to be a series whose slow and methodical pace doesn't require a high framerate, 30 is fine for the rest of the 3d games, but the not 30 but 15-20FPS, AND the blocky blurry visuals, both combined to make a game(s) that you'll never want to look at again once that early 3d era thankfully ended.

t. mustard

OoT looks fine and appears relatively stylized. And due to its consistent framerate, it moves smoothly as well even if it's only 20 FPS. And the 'blur' is a meme, it's literally just a dither filter. If it wasn't there people would be complaining that it had mach banding and dithering.

>> No.3393853

>>3393807
>it moves smoothly
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>t. mustard
I love Zelda games, and there isn't a single one that runs above 30, so fuck off with that. What I'm saying is the slow, methodical nature of Zelda means the 30fps cap is completely fine and almost unnoticeable. But the N64 Zeldas run at 15-20FPS with lag spikes at times, and have shitty N64 graphics. Those two factors combine to make them absolutely awful to play. Which is why it's a good thing that the 3DS remakes exist to take them out of that shitty fucking early 3D N64 era and make them actually playable.

Look, anon, I get that you're upset because you don't have a 3DS and can't play the better versions of OOT and MM. I hear Citra emu is progressing nicely, so in a couple years you can play them on your PC and stop having to psychologically justify playing ugly early 3D slideshows that became badly outdated a couple years after they released.

>> No.3393869

>>3393853
>But the N64 Zeldas run at 15-20FPS with lag spikes at times, and have shitty N64 graphics.

Hmm your shitposting against my video evidence I wonder what to believe

>> No.3393873

>>3393869
Your video contains a completely square room with basic textures, a simple cage, an npc, Link, and a pirate. The characters are blocky, the textures are simple and blurry, and it moves at 20FPS. If there were a bit more things happening the game might go to 15FPS and/or hit on some lag. Of course, you could have chosen a more active encounter; using your webm to prove your point is pathetic and even I would give the game more credit than that webm.

I have no webm on hand to offer for the 3DS version. You can easily look up footage on your own. It's pretty indisputable that the remake is much better.

>> No.3393875

>>3393853
Are you 12?

>> No.3393876

>>3393791
>You get to go around and see for yourself the payoff for your valiant efforts saving everyone through the game, getting to see the lives of all the familiar characters you met improve for yourself.
I can get why that appeals to you, but personally find that boring since aside from the aforementioned sidequest completion (which can be done in main game anyways), there's not much in the way that'll lead into a new adventure at that point; just a bunch of NPCs spouting off repeated instances of hollow praise everywhere.. I might as well take a typical credits sequence at that point.

>>3393802
>Which is why you should only consider the 3DS versions.
Funny, since those ports are the very thing I had in mind with my post. It takes away the blur yes, but replaces it with a big helping of flashy blandness that changes some visual elements for the worst. It doesn't help that it barely changes any in-game content to provide at least something close to a new, yet familiar experience.

All in all, to me they're nothing but extraneous additions to the 3DS library whose resources should've been utilized to make a new Zelda altogether.

>> No.3393878 [DELETED] 
File: 2.85 MB, 640x360, oot-3.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3393873
>Of course, you could have chosen a more active encounter;

>> No.3393879
File: 1.30 MB, 480x360, stalfos.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3393873
>Of course, you could have chosen a more active encounter

Edit: posted wrong one

>> No.3393885

>>3393875
Good argument.

>>3393878
Wow that looks like shit, when it zooms by the ugly square muddy ground, chugging at 20FPS, with all that fog. Bad. The rest only looks good because it's a cutscene, uses the flashy color effects, and all that's happening is the Goddesses and the rain (which appears in midair and falls in visible sections of rain). Again, my point is proven.

>>3393879
Well I'm leaving my reply to that webm anyway, because I already typed it. This webm is better than the first you posted, still chugging at 20FPS with all that action (almost a little sickening with it jumping all around), still not a whole lot going on with just two enemies in an octagonal room. Ground texture stands out as being the ugliest part. Stalfos happen to be some of the best looking enemies of the game, which is probably why they put those two in a small, basic room to avoid possible lag. Again, of course the 3DS version is much much better. Why are we continuing this? OoT was revolutionary when it came out, and looked good for its time. So did Breakout or Pong for the 2600. OoT was impressive because it was 3D when 3D was new and exciting. Now, unless you have nostalgia for it, the original N64 version is an eyesore. Just play the 3DS version, the underlying game itself is great and looks so much better in the remake.

>> No.3396368
File: 1.88 MB, 1380x768, oot - forest temple inner yard.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3393885
not him, but you seem like a gigantic graphics whore. I played OoT for the first time in 2010, since I never had my own N64 before that, and the game looked and played just fine in my opinion.

And the game can't be "chugging at" 20fps, when it is LOCKED to it.

>> No.3396374

>>3392532
>3D Zelda
lolno

>> No.3396390

>>3396374
>3D Zelda
lolyes

>> No.3396485

>>3396374
A 3D Zelda that is superior to every Zelda released beforehand, which were all 2D Zeldas.

>> No.3396570
File: 28 KB, 106x114, bakuG.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>these 6 edgelords who voted 1/10

>> No.3396595

>>3392532
I love the game to death. But part of it comes from playing it as a kid and imagining it as a real world where anything is possible, instead of just a game.

I played both modes on the 3DS 100% back to back because I sincerely still enjoy it.

>> No.3396804

>>3393234
How the literal fuck have you never played OOT?

Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time. You'll probably love it, it's much darker than OOT.

>> No.3397039

I'd give OoT a 7/10, just replayed it a few days ago. The graphics are hit and miss for me. On one hand, I think the character models are stylized enough to not be too dated, and that areas themselves use geometry nicely more often than not. However, texture work is absolutely awful imo, I'm glad the 3DS version fixed most of this. The lack of a movable camera outside Z/L targeting can make some areas harder than they really are, but I find that more often than not, the camera tracks behind Link with little issue. I'd still prefer a free camera. Combat is fine but simple, possibly too simple later in the game. You'd think not being able to block with the Biggorons Sword would actually be an issue but it never has been for me, since rolling/sidestepping/back flipping is almost always easier.

Other than that, I like exploring the world (especially since it's been years since I played it before recently) and the dungeons are all quite fun.

>> No.3397049

>>3392807
>no bathrooms
bizarre complaint

>> No.3397050

Elder God Tier:
Adventures of Link

High Tier:
Legend of Zelda
Link to the Past

Mid Tier:
Link's Awakening

Low Tier:
Oracle of Ages / Seasons
Majora's Mask

Shit Tier:
Ocarina of Time

>> No.3397058

Most video games don't even use bathrooms.

Nobody wants to know where they poo.

>> No.3397071

>>3397050

>LA
>not elder god

>> No.3397082

>>3392532
Literally EVERYONE thinks it's a 10/10 however there are some faggots who feel they're too cool for school so they pretend it's "overrated" to stand out.

>> No.3397089

>>3397050
Elder god tier:
Adventure of Link
Link Between Worlds
Link to the Past
Link's Awakening

Top tier:
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Zelda 1

Good tier:
Minish Cap
Four Swords Adventures (specifically with four people, single player is meh)

Meh tier:
Twilight Princess

Shit tier:
Skyward Sword
Triforce Heroes
Spirit Tracks
Phantom Hourglass

Haven't played the Oracles games. Have heard great things about them though.

>> No.3397112

>>3397050

>oracles
>low tier

kys, my man

>> No.3397114

>>3397112
they weren't very good, bro

>> No.3397151

>>3397114

both are better than AoL

>> No.3397164

>>3397151
nope

AoL has the best swordplay in the series

>> No.3397190

>>3397164
>AoL has the best swordplay in the series
With swordplay as basic as almost any other Zelda? Nah.

Even SS had more impressive swordplay than that.

>> No.3397212

>>3397190
3D Zelda combat is a joke, mate.

MUH Z-TARGET TO WIN DURRRR

>> No.3397421

>>3397212
>3D Zelda combat is a joke, mate.
Just as much of a joke as its AoL predeccesor.

>MUH JUMP STRIEK TO WIN DURRRRR

>> No.3397438

>>3397421
Nah, you needed actual skill to not get fucked over by most enemies in AoL.

>> No.3397719

I just replayed it, I think that was the third time I've beaten it start to finish, and the first time in several years. I didn't expect it to somehow not be easy this time around, but it's still satisfying to beat bosses and whatnot. Out of all the temples, I actually found the Forest and Fire Temples to be most annoying this time.

One thing I was surprised by that I hadn't really ever noticed was that the cutscenes are actually pretty good. Certain things are aggravating that you can't skip or do fast-text, but it's nowhere near the worst in gaming.

>The word doesn't feel lived in. Hyrule has more far more people than beds, no bathrooms, seemingly just as many castle guards as there are private citizens, source of food outside of cows, fish, and milk, and more shooting galleries and minigame houses than places for people to live.
As weird as this was made to sound, I agree with it. Only Kakariko somewhat feels right. I know in Hyrule Town it was supposed to be just the market square, but I didn't feel like they implied an adjoining town well enough. The prerendered backgrounds didn't do much for the game overall, there was something a bit lame about them compared to Mario 64's, which were excellent.

>> No.3398137

>>3397089
>>3397050
You both have shit taste

>> No.3398340

>>3392752
>Wah, I'm bitching about graphics

Like, what the fuck?

>> No.3398345

>>3392807
>>Navi
She's actually not that bad

>> No.3398353

>>3393748
And then everyone grew up.

>> No.3398359

>>3397089
This is the correct order.

>> No.3398361

The best way to remember how good this games is is to play the games that tried to be Oot back then, and see how they failed

>> No.3398363

Now that I'm older and the retro-craze shifted to Majora's Mask I can see just how much of a masterpiece this game was.

We're honestly at a point where OoT will be underrated simply because people are focusing on other shit and it'll start getting a bad rap after all the decades of praise.

>> No.3398369

Playing it again, I still think its really good. The dungeons are fun, there's great atmosphere to every area, the music is beautiful, and the gameplay still holds up very nicely. But Hyrule field is barren, almost to the point that its an eye sore the more you go through it, and the day/night cycles going back and forth so quickly seem really unutilzied when there's no passage of time anywhere else in the world.

I always get stuck in the forest temple for some reason

>> No.3398386

>>3398369
check out the Master Quest version while you're at it. they just shifted all the puzzles and how quickly you get certain equipment but it was pretty good.

>>3398363

>We're honestly at a point where OoT will be underrated simply because people are focusing on other shit and it'll start getting a bad rap after all the decades of praise.

shit no nigga, OoT glory is eternal.

>> No.3398391

>>3392532
Don't like it. Beginning intro takes 11 minutes too long, navi stops you too often with slow, unskippable dialogue (at least she doesn't fucking figure out the puzzles for you, but that's a lack of a con, not the same as a pro) and the game is just too easy.
An easy game for children isn't 10/10 no matter how you look at it. Make enemies do more damage maybe, have bosses do more than one thing over and over.
Going back to it, I just hate it. Deku Tree and Dodongo Cavern are tolerable, but from jabu jabu to ganons castle is just boring. Ice Cavern is kinda cool because it's got the hardest puzzle

>> No.3399056
File: 40 KB, 200x159, Gossip_Stone.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3398391
Sounds like you've never played OoT nonlinearly or Master Quest. You don't know what you're missing mate if you think ICE CAVERN, A.k.a. the easiest dungeon in Master Quest where you can skip like 50% of it and complete it in 3 minutes without even the Hookshot, is hard.

>> No.3399063

>>3399056

You don't really require the hookshot for most dungeons. You need it to enter the dungeon and that's it. Except for the water temple of course.

>> No.3399072

>>3399063
In Master Quest you need it to complete the Forest Temple. The maze room specifically, and the chest to get to Sue. HOT DAMN I LOVE HOW THEY REVERSED THAT. Instead of being a shortcut out, it's now the way in.

>> No.3400030

>>3397082
Not really. It's an 8/10 game for kiddies at best.

Sorry to upset you with the truth.

>> No.3400286

>>3400030
Sounds like you're the one whose upset.

>> No.3400625

>>3397089
>Haven't played the Oracles games. Have heard great things about them though

check them out some time, they are great games like every other Capcom based Zelda game.

>> No.3400639

The fact that it's on the N64 and not only has clunky controls but also you have to use the Retard-O-Tron 9000 Controller to play it makes it impossible for anyone not equipped with Late 90s Shit Game Nostalgia Blinds (i.e. millennials) to give this game anything about a 4.

At least it wasn't as bad as Majora's Mask.

>> No.3400692

Jesus Christ the autism over graphics in this thread.
8/10.
OoT is bretty gud. It's age surely shows, but it's one of the best action/adventure games of the early 3D era. Also, as long as it plays well, who gives a fuck about graphics.

>> No.3400696

>>3400639

The fact you believe the "lol n64 controller is so clunky and for 3-arm aliens!" memes shows that you're a gen Zer.

1/10 anyway, made me reply, but I thought it was ironic that you were shitting on millennials when you're a post-millennial.

>> No.3400858

>>3400286
Then you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

>> No.3400880

>>3392532
7/10? Years ago I may have went with a 9/10 but by now all the problems this game makes it unplayable to me anymore.

Want to start a new game? Go make yourself some coffee, Navi needs to talk with the Deku Tree.

>> No.3400962
File: 100 KB, 600x300, 1469723881761.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3400880
It is a bit long, but it's all valuable to set the story. If I can get up to the Master Sword in one sitting (Master Quest), before I break a sweat, I'm sure a little bit of text won't kill you.

>> No.3401732

>>3397050
>>3397089
>Link to the Past
Whenever I play this I feel nothing but rage. I just want to put down the controller and do anything else with my time.
It frustrates me that it simultaneously doesn't allow you to see any of the world on your own, but doesn't tell you shit for what to do.
It frustrates me that its overworld music is generally on a ridiculously fucking small loop that hurts my ears the more I listen to it.
It frustrates me that I never feel like I die due to difficulty but rather due to my own impatience.
I'd be fine with a game where I could explore and do something interesting (like the original) but the overworld is a bore to traverse.
I'd be fine with a game that's just linear bullshit (like oot) but the game gives almost no fucking direction, and is barely interesting when it actually gets to any dungeon.
To top it off the world somehow feels less inhabited than the fucking original, which only has old men as friendly npcs. Kakariko feels legitimately fucking soulless.
The worst part is is that I feel like I get the appeal, it promisses mysteriousness and adventure, but I just don't believe it.
I hate that game so fucking much, I'm sure I've played a worse game, but I've probably never hated a game more, because if there was ever another game I started to hate as much as LttP I would just stop playing it, but for LttP I feel like I need to know how people don't recognize it as such fucking shit.

>> No.3401793

>>3400962
>It is a bit long, but it's all valuable to set the story
It's overly long, it happens many times and a lot of other problems come piling up.

>If I can get up to the Master Sword in one sitting (Master Quest), before I break a sweat, I'm sure a little bit of text won't kill you
You being tolerant to bullshit is your own problem. I'm done wasting my time doing unfun shit in games to get to the sporadic good bits.

>> No.3401856

>>3401732
So dont play it?

>> No.3401965

>>3401793
Being intolerant of bull shit is obviously the bigger problem, because you're the one that's mad.

>> No.3401993

The best thing about this game is the Hyrule Field theme.

>> No.3402305

>>3392807
>Ganondorf during the majority of the game is basically non existant, presumably after conquring Hyrule he just sits in his tower playing his organ all day.
In story he's deliberately neglecting Hyrule to lure out Zelda and Link.
I've imagined that he's off conquering other kingdoms, which is why neither he nor any real army is present in the future.

>> No.3402350

So is the hate for OOT actually a meme? More than 50% of /vr/ voted 9 and 10. And barely a 10% of the board voted below 5.

I thought /vr/ was supposed to be contrarian central.

>> No.3402461

>>3402350
Being heralded as the greatest game ever made puts unavoidable crosshairs on it that have encouraged people to pick through every minute detail with a fine-tooth comb.

Any great game undergoing the same systematic dissection will come across as hopelessly flawed and overrated.

>> No.3402465

>>3401793
>it happens many times and a lot of other problems come piling up.
What other problems?

>> No.3402651

>>3402305
>we could have had a game where the kingdom is currently controlled by Ganondorf
>guards are replaced by monsters and everyone still goes on about doing their normal business
>the game becomes basically a social contest to rise a rebellion and finding a way to get to Ganandorf

I'd play it

>> No.3403019

>>3402465
>wait for the 5 minutes long cutscene to be over
>fetch sword
>fetch rupees so you can fetch shield
>move faggot
>1 minute of cutscene
>have fun in dungeon
>HEY ITS A DOOR
>complete dungeon
>5 minutes of cutscene
>try to leave forest
>more cutscene
>Owl comes to pester you
>waste a couple of minutes running in a straight line to get to town so you can push blocks to suffer more dragged out cutscenes to get an item that will move the fucking guard and get to Goron City

And it just keeps going on.

>> No.3403023

>>3403019

>press buttons
>things happen

WOW fucking fag game 1/10 would never play again

>> No.3403338

>>3392914
DaS is just Stalfos Fight: the game.

>> No.3403518

>try to play the game
>oh boy! I can't wait!
>Deku dialog
>Navi dialog
>Owl dialog

I keep forgetting this every time I play a new game

>> No.3403523

>>3403019
if you don't get there in time they'll shut you out and you get to deal with SKELLYS

>> No.3403527

>>3403518

I wish someone would make a romhack and remove those dialogue triggers along with the ability to skip cutscenes.

>> No.3403529

>>3403019
HOLY SHIT IT'S A LADDER LET ME EXPLAIN HOW TO CLIMB IT

>> No.3403540

>>3399072

Master Quest is romhack tier though.

I mean, you can skip huge parts of the temples because for some reason devs decided to dedicate those parts to skulltulas.

>> No.3403692

>>3392532
7/10. Its good, but I always felt 3D Zelda went in the wrong direction. Too much exposition, and the exploration was heavily reduced compared to the 2D games.

>> No.3403775

>>3397082
How is it "pretending" its overrated if literally EVERYONE thinks its 10/10? That more supports the idea that its overrated.