[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 12 KB, 480x358, 1463036872752.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3392132 No.3392132[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

If I want to throw a beanbag into my spare room and make it a comfy little gaming room what's the easiest way to do it while having a fair amount of quality? Hook my PC up to a monitor and emulate? Or find an old crt and a console? Mostly looking at SNES, PSX, and GC. I already have a decent library for the GC, but the console is broken.

>> No.3392301

Homebrew Wii to CRT, then you can play your original GameCube games too.

>> No.3392308

>>3392301
This
PSX is the only retro consoles the wii cant emulate well and OP has one already

>> No.3392512

>>3392132
Definitely Wii for the GC and emulate whatever random shit you feel like. Depending on the size of the room a smallish 21 inch or so CRT might be fine for everything.

>> No.3392528

>>3392512
how is that small?

>he never played his games on a 13 inch composhite slot mask

comfy

>> No.3393032

Cool, thanks guys.

Is there a particular wii model I should look for? Or will any do? What about controllers?

>> No.3393154 [DELETED] 

>>3392132
Ask /vr/

>> No.3393421

>>3392528
You use a tape measure to measure the screen diagonally and it comes out to 21 inches which is small.

>never was a poor black child
Never was.

>>3393032
One with GC ports. No, get one with GC ports. GC.

>> No.3393893

>>3393032

Wii:
Get the original model with GC ports. These are usually all-white, model number RVL-001

The later Wiis (RVL-101, mostly all-black) without GC ports can still play GC games after hacking, but you'll have to buy a "wired flight pad" that plugs into the bottom of the wii remote like a classic controller and you can't use original discs or your old saves on memory cards. These models aren't really any cheaper than the RVL-001s anyways so there's not much point.

Don't bother with the "Wii mini", that's a crock of shit.

Controller:
Use an original OEM GC controller for GC stuff and N64 VC. Pay the extra ~$5 for one that says it has a stick in good condition and ebay buyer protection that shit if it turns up bad. They make new ones under the name "Smash Pro Controller" or shit like that, this is good for some types of clean/new/tight stick autism but different speedrunner autists say they aren't quite up to spec with the originals. I agree with them a bit and mostly play on my wave bird or OG GC controller.

A "classic controller" is a good, cheap arrangment for wii emulators. Make SURE to get a first-party one, the third party ones literally have a full half-second of input lag. (~$12-15) depending on if you're okay with yellowed sticks. I like the plain "classic controller" layout better than the "classic controller pro".

Club Nintendo also released a legit SNES pad for Wii, but it only came out in Japan and mine was $45.

Total setup should run you under $60-$70. Just use any old CRT you can find until if/when you decide to get intense with it. I went full autism PVMeme + original hardware + flashcarts but it's expensive and a wii + shit CRT gets you like 90% there for 10% of the cost.