[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.27 MB, 4140x1900, PSX-Console-wController.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3378675 No.3378675 [Reply] [Original]

Growing up in Russia, there has only always been one console of the 5th gen here: PlayStation. No one even knew what N64 was. I didn't have one and my friends mostly talked about shittier games like Twisted Metal ("dude hot dog car lmao"), Dino Crisis ("dude T-Rex lmao"), FIFA and so on.

So after years of disgust, I have a strong idea of PS one being a console for edgy teens and weebs ("muh FFVII-VIII-IX and Xenogears").

Now, years later, I want to find out: were there any truly great games for it, except for MGS, Tekken, SotN, a bunch of 2D fighter ports and Japanese stuff like Gradius Gaiden and DQVII?

>> No.3378695

>>3378675
Yes. RE 1-3, Gran Turismo/Ridge Racer 3-4/NFS3, Wipeout series, Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Crash/Spyro/Ape Escape/CTR, Time Crisis/Point Blank, the best Harvest Moon, Tomba, THPS1-3, Oddworld, Diablo, Warcraft 2/Red Alert/Dune, Devil Dice/Kula World, pretty good port of Doom, PaRappa.

Any game can be reduced to it's most basic premise if you phrase it like that; Ocarina of Time ("dude time travel lmao") or Panzer Dragoon Saga ("dude dragons lmao"). Pretty ignorant way of thinking as you miss out on a lot of good games like that.

>> No.3378697

Resident Evil, Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo, Wipeout, good selection of lightgun games, just to pick a few off the top of my head.

PS1 was one of the best consoles of all time. Growing up in Russia obviously left you with bad taste in games.

>> No.3378709

>there has only always been one console of the 5th gen here: PlayStation. No one even knew what N64 was.
What about the 3DO?

>> No.3378715

>>3378675
>I have a strong idea of PS one being a console for edgy teens and weebs
>were there any truly great games for it, except for MGS, Tekken, SotN, a bunch of 2D fighter ports and Japanese stuff like Gradius Gaiden and DQVII?

This cognitive dissonance mang.

>> No.3378929

>>3378695
>>3378697
Inb4 half of this stuff is multiplatform. Doesn't mean these are not good, but still.

>RE1–3
I agree to a part. The controls have aged horribly. I tired the DS port of RE1, after RE4 it felt really clunky.

>Diablo, Warcraft 2/Red Alert/Dune pretty good port of Doom
Don't get me wrong, but what's the point if you have PC? I'd understand if these were originally console games ported later to PC, not the other way round.

> Crash, Spyro
I fear I will out of cringe when I play them. Gameplay-wise they're cool, story-wise they're Deviantart.

> lightgun games
> Time Crisis/Point Blank
Well that's good to know. Haven't heard of any myself

> Gran Turismo
Has GT1 aged well though?

> THPS1-3
OK here I agree except I guess if you have played one THPS game you've played them all.

So, the rest is less than a dozen of good/decent games. That's it?… So much for the title of the greatest console of all time.

>>3378709
It was somewhat hyped here, but before I got into gaming 3DO went belly up

>>3378715
I like 2D fighters, Gradius and DQ for their gameplay. Gradius is not Touhou, DQ is not Persona, Street Fighter Alpha 3 is not Melty Blood.

>> No.3378961

>>3378929

>The controls have aged horribly.

Only if you are a false.

>PC ports

Yeah, don't know why that guy posted those, the Playstation versions are a waste of time nowadays.

>Gameplay-wise they're cool, story-wise they're Deviantart.

You want a fucking mascot platformer to be on a level with Dostoevsky or some shit? Come the fuck on dude.

>Has GT1 aged well though?

Sorta. Still feels good, if a little slow, but the choice of cars and course design is top notch.

The PS2 era GT and various rally titles represent the pinnacle of racing games IMO, but that's not retro.

>So, the rest is less than a dozen of good/decent games. That's it?

No, there are tons more, if you actually look. Lots of often overlooked games, for example MediEvil, Future Cop: LAPD, Silent Bomber, just to name another handful from the top of my head.

>> No.3378975

>>3378929
>So, the rest is less than a dozen of good/decent games
Listing from memory, yeah. There are many I forgot about. But the same can be said of literally every console ever made. It's obvious you have a bias though and you're merely looking to incite conflict.

>>3378961
>nowadays
Yeah, nowadays, back then it was pretty sweet if you didn't have a PC.

>> No.3379024
File: 98 KB, 584x536, 1453342738082.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3378929
With all due respect, you sound like a pretentious bitter cunt who should be better off with a modern PC than a over twenty years old japanese console.

That said, you might want to check out stuff like:

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
Sexy Parodius
Harmful Park
ZanacXZanac
Internal Section
Einhander
DoDonpachi
If you're a creative kind of guy and want your own SHMUP maker there's Dezaemon Plus and Dezaemon Kids which are fantastic SHMUP makers, but they're JP only, don't let the childish interface of Kids fool you, it's a tremendously good game if you're into creating stuff down to drawing sprites for everything.

As for 2D fighters you have the rather questionable ports of Darkstalkers, KoF and all the other stuff like MvsC, CvsSNK and the first Guilty Gear

I'd make you a list of good RPG but considering you like stuff like DQ and think THAT isn't weeb I have not much to tell you and most WRPG are PC ports anyway.
Maybe check out the SaGa Frontier games though I don't think you'll like them, and other RPGs like Zill O'll or the Lunatic Dawn games are JP only and considering your general stance I don't think you can or are interested in playing them, other RPGs on the system aren't really worth mentioning if you don't like japanese RPGs, besides King's Field, Shadow Tower or Vagrant Story, though you might like Torneko: The Last Hope.

There's a lot of decent action games like the Duke Nukem games, Syphon Filter, C12, and some other minor stuff.

As for driving check out the Driver games and Colin mcRae Rally titles, Destruction Derby RAW was one of my favorites as well, and lets not forget Wiepout and Rollcage.

There's plenty of Kart games, most people will suggest you to play CTR, I will add Muppet Racemania and ReVolt2 to those, but they're better played with friends.

There's also Forsaken if you liked Descent games.

Last but not least, give Silent Bomber a try if you don't think it's too weeb, it's my favorite retro action game of all time.

>> No.3379034

>>3378975
>But the same can be said of literally every console ever made.
I can name you a shitton of great NES/SNES/GBA/DS games right now.

>>3378961
> Only if you are a false.
I mean, the whole system is just really, really weird. It's like a 2D shooter trying to be 3D. After RE4 it felt really clunky. Otherwise it's good I agree

>>3378961
>You want a fucking mascot platformer to be on a level with Dostoevsky or some shit? Come the fuck on dude.
I mean, at least don't have such a cringeworthy cartoonish hero. I love Mario, Sonic and Megaman, but I can't stand anything about Crash. Playing the game feels like watching a shitty sunday morning cartoon. It's a shame because otherwise the game is pretty good.

>No, there are tons more, if you actually look. Lots of often overlooked games, for example MediEvil, Future Cop: LAPD, Silent Bomber, just to name another handful from the top of my head.

I wish there was overlooked stuff of the caliber of Guardian Legends, Nights into Dreams and other Saturn games.

>> No.3379049

>>3379034
>I can name you a shitton of great NES/SNES/GBA/DS games right now.
Exactly, because you have a bias. Not all of them are great, most have aged poorly and there are maybe a dozen of good/decent games.

>> No.3379062
File: 27 KB, 231x344, 1454646755651.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3379034
>I can name you a shitton of great NES/SNES/GBA/DS games right now.
And I can tell you without fail that 90% of those are garbage.
>Mario, Sonic and Megaman
>An italian plumber, a furry with sport shoes and a faggot wearing blue spandex
>Not shitty sunday morning cartoons
>I wish there was overlooked stuff of the caliber of Guardian Legends, Nights into Dreams
You're a riot, Tovarisch.

>> No.3379084

One I rarely see mentioned is Worlds Scariest Police Chases. It's based off the TV show, it's a bunch of scenarios where you're in a cop car an have to disable enemy vehicles. It's got more of an arcade feel, and not the best graphics, but I generally dislike car games and I found it a lot of fun. I discovered it unintentionally when I was testing an emulator on an old computer, just going through a game set. It's worth trying out, takes no real time investment to get into it.

The playstation has a big disadvantage of having a very large game library, comprised of a ton of mediocre and shovelware titles. It has a ton of good games, but to be able to find them you need to use "best games" list, and those never have everything. The short ones stick to the ones everyone knows, and the larger ones are half assed. I doubt there's ever been a single person who's played every official playstation title and then played it long enough to make an accurate judgement on its quality, especially someone who's unbiased. I really wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the best games on the system have never been mentioned on any list because they didn't sell enough to gain any attention back in the day.

I really like the playstation though, even a lot of the bad games are worth playing once.

>> No.3379092

>>3379024
>Silent Bomber
Seeing the name I actually assumed this was supposed to be some WWII submarine game. Gladly it's actually some good ol' arcade shooter. Thanks for the rec

>Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
>Sexy Parodius
Yeah, I love me some Parodius. Played the SNES versions, but I guess PS versions should be superior.

> I'd make you a list of good RPG but considering you like stuff like DQ and think THAT isn't weeb I have not much to tell you and most WRPG are PC ports anyway.
By 'weeb' I mean games with an appeal coming solely from the fact that they're like anime. I.e., super-bright character designs with lots of details and huge hair, high school-style character relationships and all that. No thank you.

I'd play RPGs which have original game systems, or at least carefully balanced and refined ones, like in DQ. E.g., I played DQ3 on GBC and was pleasantly surprised it had a very cool class system. It sucked me in without plot and almost without any graphics. I also loved both DQIX and DQ Monsters Joker, despite the latter was a little weeb at times.

I'm simply not interested in yet another RPG about going from town to town slaying monsters with mediocre designs and all that, which center on edgy teen heroes.

> Torneko: The Last Hope
Yeah this sounds pretty good.

> Vagrant Story
Yes, this one was surprisingly good. Alas, I have lost my save file, but I guess starting over wouldn't be completely out of question. Now THIS is what I don't call weeb: for once, an original gameplay system, something interesting and thought out.

> There's plenty of Kart games, most people will suggest you to play CTR, I will add Muppet Racemania and ReVolt2 to those, but they're better played with friends.

Are they any better than Mario Kart 64 though?

>> No.3379093

>>3378929
Dude I really pity you if you can't play Crash or Spyro without "cringing"

All in all this whole thread is weird, it seems like we all have agreed that PS1 has tons of great games, in all genres, exclusives or not. Is there any more argument to be had?

Also I'd recommend Suikoden II if you ever into jrpgs, it's arguably one of the less weeb jrpgs out there, instead it's got like a pseudo-historic war tale feel to it.

PS don't invade pls

>> No.3379110

>>3379084
OP here—yeah, I totally agree with this.

All I see is the same THPS—MGS—Gran Turismo—FFVII and VIII mentioned over and over again. I've played MGS, I don't care much about the rest.

>>3379062
The key with Mario, Sonic and Megaman is that they are not so immensely centered on their characters' edginess. I for one love the elaborate level design in Mario 64, great background art and enemies in Sonic The Hedgehog 2.

Now this got a bit worse in Sonic Adventure 2 and Super Mario Sunshine. But this is beyond the scope of /vr/. Mario doesn't shove his personality everywhere in pre-2000s games, same as Sonic really who doesn't even talk.

>>3379049
So you imply Super Mario World 1 and 2, Megaman X series, Earthbound, Gradius III, Dragon Quest VI, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VI, Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, Street Fighter II, Kirby Superstar, Contra 3, Super Castlevania and a good 20 games I don't listen because I have finite time have all aged poorly? I disagree and disagree strongly.

>> No.3379128

>>3379092
>it's actually some good ol' arcade shooter
Not quite, but you'll understand once you get to play it.
>but I guess PS versions should be superior.
Jikkyou is better than SNES by far, Sexy is better better on Saturn since it has more ships there though, but the PS version has an extra stage iirc.
>or at least carefully balanced and refined ones, like in DQ
This is a really bold statement considering DQ is hardly balanced and the most vanilla of RPG systems out there.
Then again, if you're interested in original game systems then SaGa might be what you need, though be advised that it's extremely "original", though a few other games like Grandia were heavily inspired by it's design philosophy.
Did you like the FF Legends games on the GB? Those are SaGa games, and the first Frontier is basically a huge love letter to the first three GB games in the series, the second does its own thing and is more plot based, but it has a wonderful cast, gorgeus 2D graphics and music and a nice story to boot.
If you want other stuff with mature themes try Vandal Hearts 2, it's pretty short and the system is decent enough to warrant a few playthroughs to see the different endings.
Front Mission 2 is also great if you like mecha and it has a great plot, cast and game system, FM3 is not nearly as good as 2 imho, but try it anyway, you might like it.
There are good ports of both Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre, but I think you've already played those, FFT is kind of a poor man's Tactics Ogre but with a class system similar to FFV in terms of mechanics.
>Are they any better than Mario Kart 64 though?
You're asking for opinions here, not facts.
Muppet Racemania has great maps but the weapons are kinda eh, ReVolt2 is possibly my favorite kart game of all time due to it being really fast paced and very cheerful without beeing cartoony, try them and see if you like those.

There's also a lot of really great puzzle games but I'm not sure whether you like them.

>> No.3379142

>>3379110
>So you imply
Some of those (not all) have aged poorly, yes. Try to think objectively. It's not possible for you because you're biased though. And like I said before there are a good dozen good/decent games on each system, most have aged poorly though. This applies to all consoles.

>> No.3379143

The PS1 was godtier in game selection, you just have bad taste OP.
Ace Combat 1, 2, & 3
Adventures of Little Ralph
Alundra 1 & 2
Arc the Lad Collection
Armored Core & Project Phantasma
Assault Retribution
Azure Dreams
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire III & IV
Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Colin McRae Rally
Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, & 3
Crash Team Racing
Dragon Valor
Einhänder
Elemental Gearbolt
Eternal Eyes
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX
Frogger
Front Mission 3
G-Darius
Galerians
Ghost in the Shell
Gradius Gaiden
Grandia
Gungage
Harmful Park
Heart of Darkness
I.Q.: Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash! 1 & 2
Kartia: The Words of Fate
King's Field 1, 2, 3
Kingsley's Adventure
Klonoa
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Legend of Mana
Looney Tunes Racing
MediEvil 1 & 2
Metal Gear Solid
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exodus
Panzer Bandit
PaRappa the Rapper
Parasite Eve I & II
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Pu Li Ru La
Rapid Reload
Relevations: Persona
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Ridge Racer
Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman
Rollcage Stage II
SaGa Frontier I & II
Shadow Tower
Silent Hill
Skullmonkeys
Spriggan
Spryo the Dragon I, II, & III
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Strider 2
Suikoden I & II
Summon Night
Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden
Syphon Filter
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Eternia
Wild Arms 2
Tekken 3
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Threads of Fate
Thunder Force V
Tomba! 1 & 2
Twisted Metal 1 & 2
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Vib-Ribbon
Wild Arms
wipEout 3
Xenogears

>> No.3379150

>>3379110
>The key with Mario, Sonic and Megaman is that they are not so immensely centered on their characters' edginess.
In the case of Sanic and MM (at least from X onward with anomalies like Legends), you're wrong, dead wrong son.

>> No.3379159
File: 2 KB, 256x192, ValleyThe-ingame.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You should have stuck with your souped-up ZX Spectrum computers desu senpai. Don't fall for the graphics jew and his game consoles.

>> No.3379167

>>3379159
Soviets had their own PCs.

>> No.3379169

>>3378675
>Twisted Metal ("dude hot dog car lmao")
TM didn't have a hot dog car. You're thinking of Rogue Trip.

>> No.3379183

>>3379167
Which were knock-offs of other European PCs

>> No.3379189

>>3379183
ebin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector-06C

>> No.3379254

>>3379150
No arguing about Legends.

X1–3 was somewhat alright. Yep, so much more weeb bullshit, but on the other hand, the robot apocalypse story was written more or less decently.

What's more important, X1 is really damn great as a game. I used to speedrun it, thinking about the perfect routes and everything.

It's only later that Megaman completely turned into another Japanese middle school bullshit, with a zillion of characters who are there for no purpose whatsoever.

>> No.3379263

>>3379143
Haven't heard about a third of these games. Maybe this tell a lot about me but still.

> Frogger
What

>> No.3379269

>>3379263
>> Frogger
>What
It's a cool game where you, George Costanza (portrayed by Jason Alexander) must navigate across a busy road at rush hour with your precious cargo: a vintage arcade cabinet of a game called Frogger where...

>> No.3379278

>>3379263
It was a modern remake from the late 90s. A lot of old games got remakes like that. Centipede and Asteroids also come to mind.

>> No.3379281

>>3379263
>Haven't heard about a third of these games
Isn't that the fucking point of this thread? To tell you about games you didn't know about?

>> No.3379301

>>3379269
They didn't broadcast Seinfeld here in Russia, dear murican

>> No.3379306

>>3379301
Then how do you know about it?

>> No.3379327 [DELETED] 
File: 28 KB, 220x95, Seinfeld_logo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3379306
Well I'm not sure if they haven't, but no one has a faintest idea of who Jerry Seinfeld is here in Russia. No one remembers the TV show too. If you ask people if they've seen Seinfeld, you'll only raise a few eyebrows. Quick google revealed that it was in fact broadcast by some TV Russian channel, only from November to December 2009—I guess it never caught attention.

On the other hand, they showed Friends, Beverly Hills 90210, Twin Peaks, Sopranos, etc., and old show reruns like Knight Rider/Magnum Pi here. But only not Seinfeld.

I actually haven't heard anything about the show. Then I started seeing it mentioned on American boards. I had no idea what the fuck it was. I thought it was some overlooked show no one has seen. Turned out it was one of the biggest shows in US TV history, remembered by many.

And now it seems with the whole '90s kids sentiment, everyone on American boards is orgasming over George Constanza.

>> No.3379332

>>3379306
4chan memes

I reverse searched Constanza's picture and learned about all Seinfeld memes.

>> No.3379341

>>3379281
I assume I would have at least heard something about these great PS One games. I've read gaming magazines quite a lot back in the day, but I jave absolutely no idea about, say, Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman or Rollcage Stage II.

I was also wondering why would PS One be so praised for its selection of popular games which have been memed to eternity.

>> No.3379347
File: 26 KB, 1234x242, 3379327.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3379352

>>3379341
>I was also wondering why would PS One be so praised for its selection of popular games
It's praised for having a shit ton of good games, not a shit ton of popular games. It has a decent amount of popular games, but it has way more good games than just those.

>> No.3379354

>>3379347
Yeah, I misread the question. I thought it said, "how do you know this", referring to how I knew Seinfeld was never broadcast in Russia.

>> No.3379363

>>3379352
Really, the PS1 is different from both the Saturn and N64 because it has such a great library of both popular and obscure games.

On N64, the only good games are the popular ones. On Saturn, the only good games are the obscure ones. On PS1, it has the best of both worlds.

>> No.3379392

>>3379352
Yeah, this might seem retarded, but I'm just completely lost in its library.

You know, if we take SNES: most good games are well-known now. Even games that flopped in the West have been rediscovered—take Earthbound (yeah I know, Starmen.net and all that but still). Or Gundam Wing: Endless Duel—Japanese exclusive and still people know about it in the US. Even beside them, tons of good obscure stuff. I know games that only I enjoy like they're 10/10 masterpieces (like Cybernator).

But with PS, it's all different. You know, what makes it difficult is that I'm not into racing and horror at all, and not into ordinary JRPGs too. This makes me discard most recommendations I see for games. I just want some action, maybe action/shooters or action games.

You probably will say: well, play Syphon Filter. Honestly, with all due respect—why would I pick Syphon Filter over, say, Perfect Dark, Half–Life or MGS? It's so basic and empty compared to the latter 2. Maybe, in 1999 it helped you kill time, but I see little point in it now judging from what I see from the walkthroughs on YouTube.

So the point is: is it all down to (mostly) obscure titles?… Then how did PS get so big in the first place? I see it justified with popular and great games like Tekken 3 and MGS. But with other shit—not really.

>> No.3379406

>>3379363
This. This perfectly captures what I feel so bummed about.

You know, many people call PS One a god-tier system. So I apply the same logic to it as SNES/N64: good games are popular games.

Then I start talking to these people, and they start telling me that it's all about obscure games, like it's not PS we're talking about, but PC-Engine.

Then the question is: what were the majority of players buying PS for? For some shit like licensed games and Syphon Filter? How come more casual players still liked it?

> On Saturn, the only good games are the obscure ones
Well, by Saturn's standards they aren't very obscure at all. The system's hits are all pretty great, like Virtua Fighter, Nights, Daytona USA and so on.

>> No.3379416

>>3379392
>Honestly, with all due respect—why would I pick Syphon Filter over, say, Perfect Dark, Half–Life or MGS? It's so basic and empty compared to the latter 2. Maybe, in 1999 it helped you kill time, but I see little point in it now judging from what I see from the walkthroughs on YouTube.
Because you are biased toward the NES/SNES, this has already been established. You want a console war, but you're not getting one.

>> No.3379430

>>3378675
The thing with Playstation, besides the fact that it is marketed towards a relatively older audience (don't want to say mature to trigger anyone) is true on the outside, marketing layer, but the real deal is that it encompasses a wide spectrum of games. It's not like a Nintendo deal where it lives on a curated top 10 list of sorts, but Playstation is like a giant ball pit of treasures that you just dive in and find all sorts of awesome shit. It may be first party, third party, hidden gem, weird wacky shit, experimental shit. Also, unlike Nintendo, a lot of games are based off of peripherals and arcades, which help make Playstation a very different setting and it never comes down to who had the better games.

>> No.3379442

>>3379416
> "I implied this based on my assumptions"
> "So this means it's established"

> console war
I'm simply baffled how little of the allegedly best PS One games are so poorly known. I've given several examples already. Only few games like Tekken 3, SotN and MGS were both truly great and popular. For these games alone I do like PS a lot.

But it's just too few games to call it god-tier, don't you think? The rest of the popular games are ridiculously overhyped wonders of marketing like FFVII, racing like Gran Turismo, a fucking Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, "cinematic"/"atmospheric" games like Silent Hill (I hate cinematic games and this is why I come to /vr/), Resident Evil and platformers like Crash and Spyro which give me a painful nightmares.

Of all that I would probably only play RE. And that's it? This is what we have in "popular+good" tier?

>> No.3379443

>>3378929
>cringing at Crash Bandicoot because of the "plot"
Fucking how? Cortex finds out he can use crystals to carry out his evil genius plan to take over the world and he baits Crash into his warp rooms to round them up for him. That's literally fucking it. That's like Doom tier plot to give you a context to carry out its gameplay. How is that Deviant Art fiction tier?

>> No.3379448

>>3379024
You include Forever With Me Parodius and Sexy Parodius but not Fantastic Journey Parodius? That's my favorite one.

Also, if you're going to mention Einhander, you can't forget about R-Type Delta.

>> No.3379459

>>3379443
>>3378961

OK, I see now, I've completely failed to express myself. I meant to say "characters" and "art direction". I hate those furry edgy cartoonish characters, and I hate cartoon dragons more than anything in the world.

The plot is actually alright. It's the art direction, the characters and the cringeworthy humor.

>> No.3379471
File: 56 KB, 736x570, 2cbf63cf86bd87790f44ea857ec9c863.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3379459
Maybe in Russia you weren't used to watching Warner Brothers or Tom & Jerry.

>> No.3379474
File: 48 KB, 800x550, neo-cortex-origin-composite-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3379459
>>3379471
And here's Cortex

>> No.3379489
File: 436 KB, 800x600, you.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3379442
And that's your opinion, it means nothing. Maybe if you'd tell us what games you like on other platforms we can recommend something for you. Instead you've just said "give me games, no that's shit" like a spoiled babby.

>> No.3379490
File: 480 KB, 250x141, cortex.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3379459
>>3379471
>>3379474
And here's his transformation into polygons and animation. Pretty good work considering the hardware limitations.

>> No.3379497

>>3379471
>>3379474
>>3379490
OK, I mean the atmosphere. The humor. It's pretty awful. It's like sunday cartoon, only worse.

>> No.3379502

>>3378695
>The best harvest moon

I see what you did there. Nice try but it was definitely not the best. HM 64 trumped it

>> No.3379505
File: 450 KB, 174x178, tumblr_mahyx6rccB1rg2nvlo1_250.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3379497
I don't mean this in a hostile way, but there's a shit ton of backpedaling going on but at least it's all for the sake of clarifying on this subject. At least with humor we can just put it to rest and say you're not digging the humor. Although I would say there's nothing cringy the humor, nor can I really recall anything "humorous" about Crash in the sense that it was written and scripted. What I find amusing about Crash is the light heartedness with his obliviousness to his surroundings, always dumbfounded but not retarded. His idle, win, and death animations convey a lot of character even if he can't speak. He's a lovable dude. The only time when he's just straight up cringe is when you are judging him by his post-Naughty Dog PS2 and onward era. Then yes, those are fucking awful.

>> No.3379507

>>3379502
Story-wise, yeah. I like the complexity of HM:BTN, it focused more on the farming and less on the story.

>> No.3379523
File: 15 KB, 256x224, ewj2-quiz7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3379505
I knew you'd say that but I'm not really backpedaling—I'm just trying to make my point understandable. Crash is cringeworthy to me just like My Little Pony, Naruto and stuff like that. There's just something about him and the characters that I can't take—something which just screams "middle school".

Now gameplay-wise it's ok. It's not Mario 64 by a long margin, but still pretty cool despite its grid-like design. I have zero complaints—I used to play the game back when it came out.

But take, say, Earthworm Jim. Jim didn't just feel a constant need to make silly faces, like the player was 5 years old. It's just not as cringeworthy to me. The game's humor can be pretty surrealistic and imaginative; there's a world which is made of food with a boss called Flamin' Yawn, for example.

But Crash is just a clown-like character. The whole game is just incredibly poor taste, simply disgusting to me. I can't explain it better than that.

>> No.3379528

>>3379523
>judging an entire game by it's idle animation
Plowing new depths of autism.

>> No.3379531

>>3379528
> Reducing my statement about a whole game to that one detail that I mentioned
I quit. Good anons gave me some lists of decent games. The rest I have little to prove to.

>> No.3379532

>>3379523
Yeah some of his humor come from exaggerated faces, but I see that as cartoon basics. I don't see how it relates to MLP culture. And yes you're right about middle school, but I don't see that as a criticism. Can't fault them for creating something that's middle schoolish in 1996.

>> No.3379535

>>3379459
>and I hate cartoon dragons more than anything in the world.
...is there a reason for this?
Just curious.
Spyro as a character is rather chill.

>> No.3379548

>>3379535
Nope, it's just an incredibly poor-taste Deviantart-tier thing that makes me cringe.

>>3379532
> Can't fault them for creating something that's middle schoolish in 1996.
What do you mean exactly?

You know, I just want to say: there's Super Mario Bros, and the SMB cartoon. The latter is known for being pretty crappy and aimed for children. There's Sonic The Hedgehog, and Sonic cartoon. The latter received the same mixed reviews.

By this logic, Crash already feels like a cartoon version of itself. Not gameplay wise though, but in everything else.

>> No.3379553

>>3379548
I mean you can't fault Naughty Dog for creating an elementary product in 1996 aimed for middle schoolers, and some folks of that audience grew out of it 20 years later and think "man Crash seems pretty goofy now." It's not bad design, it just means you don't like the goofy aspect of it anymore. Crash is a mischievous guy.

>> No.3379567

>>3379548
>it's just an incredibly poor-taste Deviantart-tier thing that makes me cringe.
That isn't a valid enough reason. What makes Crash and Spyro's artstyles so "Deviantart-tier" and "cringeworthy". Give us some solid analysis here.

..that said, this makes me want to ask something; Since you brought up the N64 in your OP post, how do you feel about the artstyle of Rare's work around that period?

>> No.3379570

>>3379567
>artstyle of Rare's work around that period?
For got to clarify: their more "cartoony" artstyles (that they've been using for things like DKC, B-K, fuck even JFG to an extent etc.)

>> No.3379571

>>3379567
>Since you brought up the N64 in your OP post, how do you feel about the artstyle of Rare's work around that period?
Pretty much the same. I once started Banjo-Kazooie, got pretty sick of their characters pretty fast. Same about DKC. Same about DK64, which has the most cringeworthy song of all time, DK rap.

The ONLY redeeming quality it had—it wasn't so edgy, so in-your-face stupid as Crash. Otherwise… They're exactly the same.

>> No.3379653

>>3379571

What the fuck is edgy about PS1 Crash Bandicoot? Are you being serious?

>> No.3379667

>>3379653
He doesn't like it but can't think of legitimate reasons to hate it. Meanwhile he still hasn't listed games that he likes on other platforms so we can recommend something he'd like, but insists on calling the entire console shit except for 3 games.

>> No.3379679

>>3379667
>Meanwhile he still hasn't listed games that he likes on other platforms
Well he did list what games on the SNES he liked but most of his picks were pretty damn bland; especially Earthbound which I think has much, MUCH worse humor than both Crash and Spyro (by his logic at least) and a much blander visual style than those two games (maybe except the battle backgrounds and psychic attack effects which are admittedly cool).

>> No.3379779

>>3378675
>my friends mostly talked about shittier games like Twisted Metal ("dude hot dog car lmao"),
You had some retarded friends if that is all they could say about this god-tier game.

Which leads me to believe that you probably are really retarded as well if you had friends like that.

>> No.3379807
File: 82 KB, 1280x719, xyn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3378675
>and weebs ("muh FFVII-VIII-IX and Xenogears").
>MGS, Tekken, SotN and Japanese stuff
Why don't you go back to Mail.ru Games, Vasily?

>> No.3379987

>>3379392
>Then how did PS get so big in the first place?
Basically 90% of the devs of the time migrated to it from SEGA and Nintendo, a wise marketing campaign, great working conditions and contracts for devs and competitive prices created the perfect storm known as Playstation that utterly wiped out the competition.
That was probably the first shining example that hardware doesn't sell consoles, games do, the PS was technically not as good as neither the N64 or the Saturn at their respective strong points and yet completely eclipsed them both.
>>3379406
>what were the majority of players buying PS for?
The same stuff the majority of players bought a SNES.
Sport games, platformers, action game of the year and the occasional RPG.

You guys make it seem lke a big deal but it was the same thing for the SNES, and the same thing for every console really.
Popular games are usually successful because they appeal to a low common denominator so that the vast majority of people can get into those, not that there's anything inherently bad about it mind you, and again, there are some exceptions, but as time passes and as you get older you usually become more demanding, that's where you dig through the libraries and find out the less successful titles and actually find out they're bretty gud, if not technically better and more interesting than the more successful ones, see Vagrant Story, Silent Bomber and so on. Then you have those games that never came out in the west or were received badly there but were in the top tier charts in Japan, the SaGa games come to mind, especially the SNES trilogy.

I don't wnat to say that all obscure games are better than the popular ones, because it's not true, but popularity doesn't necessarily entail quality, otherwise Pokemon whould be the best RPG ever created when it's a shallow game for kids
>>3379448
>you can't forget about R-Type Delta.
I just picked the ones that came to mind, there's also Darius and a lot of other obscure titles.

>> No.3380028

>>3379143
>Alundra 2

>> No.3380091

>>3380028
Yes? What's wrong with it?

>> No.3380094

>>3379779
Not to mention no Twisted Metal game had a "hot dog car" to begin with.

>> No.3380590
File: 80 KB, 509x720, no.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3379143
>no Vigilante 8