[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 87 KB, 640x480, ff_ps1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3345375 No.3345375 [Reply] [Original]

How does /vr/ fare the FF from the SNES-era to the PS1-era?

>> No.3345382

>>3345375
All are good except VIII.

IV is overrated though. It's just "okay".

>> No.3345395

I like them because I never had snes growing up and my sister got psone when ps2 launched, so I was about to get all of them for $20 a piece 16yrs ago.

/vr/ has some issues that I personally am not bothered by, because im an oldfag now and I grew up with "u get what u paid for, so learn to like it"
>90s 'murica translation is wrong
>missing FF games on nes/snes
>ps1 randomly pops up with FF7 making us casualfag kids ask "where is 4,5,&6?"
>origins is like "hey, remember this?" and "we added a second one u never played before, buy me plz as u wait for FFX"
>chronicles was laggy, had the 'murican translation, but offered the jp "hardmode" of FF4
>anthology's 5 was bugged with a death glitch. I find that game to be on the easier side of FF, in ranking so it adds hilarious difficulty imho
>anthology's 6 is suppose to be decent but passable since re-re-released on gba
>7 has poor graphics but better midi quality compared to PC, but once it was fully modded 8yrs ago... its debatable.
>8 is 8... 9 is 9...

>> No.3345397

>>3345395
FF7 on PS1 is the definitive version.

>> No.3345430

>>3345397

It really is, ideally played on a CRT. Sure PC has a 'higher' resolution but it's still upscaling the same textures and models, you're just choosing blur over pixellation.The mods too are just terrible. All the pre-rendered environments are designed with tiny chibi people in mind, replacing said chibi models with full-size ones causes countless perspective issues that I have no idea how people can ignore.

>> No.3345462
File: 3.33 MB, 4000x3000, IMG_2168.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3345375
I can play that game too, OP.

>> No.3345516

>IV was like a NES games with better colors and awesome music.
>V is pretty fun because of all the choices you can do with the job system and I loved the edgy storyline.
>VI is good, but I felt like it went for a little too long and felt very linear compared to V.
>VII is great but slightly overrated
>VIII I barely remember playing. It just was too experimental and had many changes at once.
>IX is Elder God Tier. Other than the cartoonish character designs I can't say anything bad about it.

>> No.3345525

I think by and large Final Fantasy got better as it moved to the ps1. Even though FF5 is one of my favorite games in the series.

>> No.3346076
File: 437 KB, 2000x1500, 100_3559.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3345462
As can I. Why are there so many of these and why do I keep buying this crap?

>> No.3346197
File: 92 KB, 630x470, 1290953732010.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

9 and 4 are my favorites

6 and 7 are very good but overrated

5 is beloved by everyone but me, apparently

8 exists

>> No.3346364

>>3345462

you do know that Final Fantasy Adventure is not a Final Fantasy game, right?

>> No.3346952

>>3345382
VIII is great, fool

>> No.3347064

>>3345375
It's a step down. 7 was good but 8 and 9 are mediocre.

>> No.3347123

>>3346364
Yes, yes I do. But it has the name all the same so I'm counting it.

>> No.3347142

>>3345375
Tactics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4 > 7 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 9

>> No.3347147
File: 117 KB, 372x351, kk0xvtx.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3345375
>>3345462
>>3346076
>Greatest Hits

>> No.3347152

Why do so many people hate 9? Sakaguchi himself has said that to him it's the purest rendition of what Final Fantasy should be.

>> No.3347157

>>3347142
>9 is bad

The dankest /vr/ meme

>> No.3347161
File: 43 KB, 478x428, 1250754810525.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

IV hasn't aged too well but that's a huge part of it's charm, since it just feels like an NES game but on the SNES. The 3D remakes that use the augments aren't bad either, but I prefer the 2D versions.

V is played best when you're playing the GBA version where the script basically treats itself as a non-serious parody. The job system peaks here, and there's a reason why Bravely Default is heavily inspired by V. Gilgamesh is also the single greatest Final Fantasy character of all time.

VI is where Square peaked

VII was from a time when Square was still riding that peak

VIII is a free fall plummet from the peak

IX was a great nostalgic throwback game, and it's only real flaw was that it was too easy.

Tactics was the game that separated the men from the boys

>> No.3347430

>>3345516
Honestly, I really liked the character design work of FF9 better than that of 7 or 8. To me it looked like a mix of classic Sunrise and Miyazaki anime with an extra added twist of Jansson/Tolkien-inspired fantasy elements.

>>3347147
Why not? The only thing wrong with those things is the gaudy looking green colour they used for the packaging. Otherwise they're neat if you want to pick up some good bugfixed versions of the games you liked.

>> No.3348020
File: 14 KB, 480x360, hank apoplectic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3345382
>All are good except VIII.

DELETE THIS

>> No.3348291

>>3345397
Nah, FF7 on Steam is the way to go nowadays. You can get the Reunion for bug fixes and a better translation as well. There's also people working on HD pre-rendered backgrounds as we speak.

>> No.3348318

>>3348020
8 was just a 7 rehash except for teenyboppers

>> No.3348319

>>3345375
V, VII, and IX are my favorites. If I had to rank one above the rest, I'd say VII is my favorite.

There was a period where loads of people seemed to love IV, but I never liked that one. It never gave me enough time to get intimate with the characters and how they play, most of the cast was always being switched out and was never really in your control until endgame. I had all the same problems with it that most people have with the FFXIII boogeyman.

VI was great, it struck a nice balance of story and gameplay, I rank it mid-tier because I'm a fag for being able to customize my party and you didn't get much of that.

VIII had one of my favorite stories and themes and everything, but just playing it was such a slog, it brought the whole game down for me. I was also incredibly upset that only the gunblade inherited the SMRPG trait of timing attacks to make them more effective, but that's a minor gripe.

While IX didn't have a very customizable character scheme compared to my favorites, I rank it highly because the setting and story just feels so authentic. It's not even that I'm a fan of the style, it was just presented really well, and the side-quests were pretty well integrated.

>> No.3348338

>>3348318
are u serious nigga?
8 is completely different an unique

>> No.3348410
File: 14 KB, 268x300, FFA_Japanese_Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3346364
Then why does it say Final Fantasy on the cover, you massive retard?

>> No.3348773
File: 743 KB, 180x130, 1418704182672.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3346952
>>3348020
>whiny soap opera plot
>entire cast made up of forgettable characters
>forced to either grind for days or abuse the level scaling system with shitty junction mechanics
>tedious minigames that makes FFVII shake its head
>good

The only "great" thing about VIII was the soundtrack.

>> No.3348780

>>3348773
I have to disagree with you on the characters. Many of them were quite memorable by virtue of them being so annoying.

>> No.3349228

>>3348773
I never grinded in 8. I don't even remember any minigames except Triple Triad, but you weren't required to play it unlike 9.

>> No.3349267

>>3348773
>whiny soap opera plot
I dunno why you're complaining about this. It's a staple of your usual FF plot.

>> No.3349631

Gonna go ahead and say 1 was the first one I played, and 6 and 9 are my favorites. That being said:

1 gets credit for doing some nifty stuff with console RPGs, but it's about as much fun as getting kicked in the throat. Still better than Dragon Warrior 1.

4 is kinda bland. You go from point A to point B, you do stuff, you fight the bad guy. Everyone is a set class and equipment is very linear in that you always wanna buy and equip the most expensive item, outside of one situation if I recall. There is no planning or strategy or directed grind, you just grind until you can move forward. It's not a terrible RPG, but it is bland.

5 is the best mechanics in the series. It's basically 4 except your party can be customized between battles. This makes all the difference in the world, as you can set up your team to handle individual threats, or gear up in specific ways to handle tough bosses. Shitton of grinding, possibly the most grinding in any FF game, but you don't need to master every class to beat the game, so you can kinda pick how much grinding you are willing to do.

6 is the prettiest 2D FF game period, has possibly the best music in the series, but suffers from the pre-set classes. Sure, you can use espers to adjust stats somewhat, but at the end of the game everyone will probably have all the spells you want anyways turning everyone into mages. At least it lets you pick your team for most of the game.

7 is a lot like 6 in mechanics, pre-set classes but with some customization available. Good story, good soundtrack, but does suffer from QTE syndrome which went on to infect the 3D FF games. Not all the QTE's were annoying or dumb, the motorcycle and snowboard ones standing above the rest, but on replays you really start to notice how much stuff like marching in the parade, or trying not to freeze, or the CPR minigame slow the game down.

Continued in next post.

>> No.3349637

Final.... Fantasy?

>> No.3349642

>>3349631
>QTE syndrome
What..?
Do you mean those parts that require precise inputs in realtime, like in 7 the dolphin hop in Junon, or swinging the cage in 9? If you do, then I have to disagree with you. Those little things are part of made the PS1 era FF:s so awesome. One of the reasons X felt so bland was because all those small silly things, like brawling with an enemy soldier or bitch slap contests were absent.

>> No.3349646

>>3348410
Marketing. It was the first Mana game.

Final Fantasy Gaiden: Seiken Densetsu

>> No.3349652

>>3349631

9 is a prettier, expanded version of 7 with a plot that falls apart hard in the last quarter of the game. 7 I think had better mechanics, since 9 is a bit more pre-set in what you can do with characters. Sure, you can teach people a lot of the same skills, but everyone has a specific list of skills they can learn. It also suffers heavily from QTE's. Thankfully it lets you dodge many of them, but there are a few you are forced into doing, the Red Light Green Light minigame being the most offensive. Hot and Cold is also far inferior to Chocobo racing. On the plus side, people don't look like Lego's anymore, and nearly half the cutscenes in the game are optional and can be skipped in replays.

Can't comment on 2, 3, or 8 since I have yet to play any of them.

>> No.3349660

>>3349642
We must disagree then.

>> No.3349664

>>3349652
What exactly do you consider the 'last quarter' of FFIX? Like, the 4th disc, or from Terra onwards, huh? Because yeah I can agree that disc 4 has plot-wise almost nothing noteworthy until like Zidane's return. The whole reason for Memoria is just to evoke nostalgia and I'm still trying figure out what's the point of Necron. They almost could've slapped the Trance Kuja fight at the end of disc 3 and call it a game.

>> No.3349680

>>3349642
>One of the reasons X felt so bland was because all those small silly things, like brawling with an enemy soldier or bitch slap contests were absent
Except Tidus, Auron, Wakka, and Lulu's overdrives utilized them.

>> No.3349698

>>3349631
>Sure, you can use espers to adjust stats somewhat
It's not really customization when only one of the stats gives you anything. Vigor? The difference between an Edgar pumped full of Vigor from Espers and an Edgar who never touched them isn't even relevant. Even getting the boost several times over from something like Offering isn't enough, especially not when there are Vigor-independent ways of getting all of that damage. Stamina? Completely worthless stat. Speed? FFVI's ATB stops it from giving you extra turns without menu cheese, at which point you'd get extra turns anyways. Max HP/MP? Most Espers with either bonus give shit all to them, and even then it's only a percentage bonus to the HP/MP gain you get on levelup in a game when you already get more than enough.

Of course, Magic Power doesn't have that problem. The difference between a decent level Bum Rushing Sabin who never touched magic booster Espers and a decent level Bum Rushing Sabin who did is massive, as in over 2000 damage before Earrings massive.

>> No.3351945

I really liked FF6, FF9

I got bored of FF7 by the time I arrived the Gold Saucer. I also got bored of FF4

I enjoyed FF5 mostly because the job system. I really liked the gameplay on those two.

I played FF3 remake but dropped it

Never finished FF1, FF2, FF8

While not part of the main series, FF Tactics is fantastic and it easily wins the first spot on my top of FF games between SNES and PS1.

FF Tactics > FF6 > FF9 > FF5 > FF7 > FF4

>> No.3352032

Hey guys.

Why is it called "Final Fantasy" if there's like, 15 games? Wouldn't the first one be THE Final Fantasy...?

...Just wondering.

>> No.3352048

I and II are probably my favourites in the whole series, the Chronicles remakes especially. I love the simplicity and open-ended exploration in the original game, and the levelling system in II was ahead of its time. III was just a tad too harshly difficult to be enjoyable for my taste though.

I've never been a fan of the SNES era games, they have too much narrative focus but lack the ability to convey it in a compelling manner. I've tried to play VI several times and never get far, IV is probably the okay-est, but still far from great, and V is just not appealing to me at all.

VII is vastly overrated but it represented the stage where the series could final match its narrative ambitions in terms of presentation. I've never finished it but I keep getting the irge to go back to it. so it must have gripped me somehow. VIII was the weakest of the PS1 games, with unintuitive mechanics and the least gripping story. IX is by far my favourite, it got the balance just right and was very polished, the only 3D FF game I've played numerous times.

>> No.3352434
File: 123 KB, 317x301, 1433474350703.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I went to the ending of the Jegged walkthrough and saw a picture of Zidane and Dagger together right before beating it. I feel cheated.

>> No.3352464

>>3352032
I read about it a while ago, it's because it was the last project from Square before going bankrupt.

>> No.3352678
File: 926 KB, 1254x1771, 1452107581711.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Origins
I holds up well, and this is a decent version of it because it doesn't take the challenge away. But I mostly played it for the novelty. Do not recommend.
>Chronicles
Never played
>Anthologies
SNES version is better but to be honest I put many hours into PS1 version of FF6 and it is still playable.
>VII
Fantastic game but too easy. Good to put restrictions on yourself when playing. Ugly graphics. Surprisingly good story and characters. Bad script.
>VIII
This game is shit but I love it despite its massive flaws.
>IX
Great game. Just have patience for load times.
>Tactics
Not a fan of this OR Vagrant Story.

>> No.3352709

>>3348773
The VIII demo was so much better than the final game.

Why couldn't it have stayed about military factions warring against each other rather than going off on that retarded sorceress tangent?

>> No.3352731

>>3346076
>>3345462
>>3345375
And I promised myself I wouldn't fap.

>> No.3352765

>>3352709
I think that was going to happen (i.e. Turks) but they already did that with 7. or I could be mixing that up with the 3 person gang (Seifer and the other two) and the Turks

>> No.3352781

>>3347161
Yeah, you're a colossal faggot.

IV is the best FF title to playthrough to this day, with VI as a close second.

V is for fucking around, it's a game worth playing for the job system only as the story, and the villain, are fucking garbage.

VII is a good game, but the fanbase ruined any possible discussion about it.

VIII was better than VII, but all the VII fanboys called it boring because the swords weren't big enough.

IX was shit. The only playable version of IX that exists today is the one you can get on steam that completely overhauls the bullshit "equip this to grind for this ability" system.

Tactics is a nearly perfect game, but nobody seems to be able to remaster it in a way that fixes the bugs/script without adding in more bugs (frame rate drops, thanks PSP).

>> No.3352784

>>3345397
Definitive = for fags?

PC version on Steam doesn't even need mods to be better.

>> No.3352845

Are the NES and SNES FF games shorter than the PS1 games?

>> No.3353089

>>3345375
First ff I played was 12 and it was easily my favorite.

>1, 2, 3
Haven't played
>4
Pretty gud, moderatley overrated though.
>5
Easily in the to p3 ff games if you ask me.
>6
Good, but I've yet to beat it. Love the sprite work in it.
>7
Good, but overrated. I know that it doesn't really matter, but the 10 polygon characters bother the fuck out of me. Great atmosphere though.
>8
Shouldn't get shit on as much. Although it's not the best, it isn't bad by any means.
>9
Just started it a few days ago. Just got Quina in my party. So far it seems pretty dull to be honest. Really like Vivi though.
>Tactics
Played it for like 20 minutes and can't really remember much of it.

>> No.3353491

>>3345375
It peaked with VI on SNES, Plateaued with VII on ps1, and then completely shit the bed after that and never recovered.
Tactics is just a grinding sim with an incompetent translation, 9 is a creatively bankrupt studio's desperate attempt to regain their fans after ruining a great series. Don't even get me started on 8.

>> No.3353543

Opinions incoming:

FFI: Honestly a lot more fun than people give it credit for being. I think a lot of the people who complain about it are trying to play it like it's a later installment in the series, which is a mistake. Protip: Black Mages pretty much suck, Fighters are pretty good, Black Belts rule.
FFIV: Probably the most generic feeling Final Fantasy. The mechanics are not very deep and the story is okay. The graphics are kind of gross looking when you compare them to FFVI. Unfortunately mediocre. Worth playing but not over other installments, in my opinion.

FFV: Best mechanics in the series, the job system is awesome. I also think it has some of the best writing in the series, it's never too serious and it doesn't get bogged down in stuff. A must play.

FFVI: Outstanding presentation, graphics, sound, and story are all top notch. Honestly, not just a great game but a really great work of fiction. The gameplay lacks the depth of V but it has really good pacing and there's a lot more depth than IV. So many people gush about this game to the point where it might seem overrated, but honestly the praise is well deserved.

FFVII: Pretty good, but disappointing as a followup to VI. The music is the best thing about this game. The materia system is pretty cool but my major gripe with the game is that there isn't enough to separate the characters from one another gameplay-wise aside from their limit-breaks. So many of the characters just kind of feel like a pile of stats rather than characters with particular roles. I've heard the original translation (the only one I've played) is sort of botched, and I believe it, but the strange translation and the general atmosphere of the game kind of gives it this surreal quality. Perhaps the best FF to play on drugs.

>> No.3353553

>>3353543
VIII: Right until the middle of disc 2 I was convinced this would be my favorite FF, interesting mechanics, good music, good graphics, and the story wasn't a total trainwreck. It all goes downhill in disc 2 where the plot goes tits up, the pacing becomes questionable at best, and the game becomes plagued with a load of dumb shit. Also, mechanics that I felt were pretty compelling honestly start to lose a lot of their luster once you fully understand the junction system, since you need to more or less intentionally gimp yourself to avoid becoming so overpowered that every fight is a joke. It wouldn't be a problem if the system was really difficult to fully grasp, but easy to use at first, but it is actually much less complicated than it seems at first blush. I will always wish for what could have been with this game.

FFIX: Fixes most of the problems I had with FFVII, at the expense of having a less interesting setting and less impressive music. Obvious throwback to IV and VI, but I don't think it does a whole lot to stand out next to VI.Would have benefited a lot by taking a page from V. Still a pretty solid entry in the series, but it suffers from the same problem as FFIV, it doesn't really aspire to be much more than a game that fits the mold of what a JRPG was at the time it was released. I like it better than VIII, but I respect it less because I feel like it was less willing to take risks.

>> No.3353557

>>3352048
I find it a bit weird you don't like V, it's plot is extremely minor and shallow compared to 4 and 6, it's really focused on the job system to the exclusion of nearly everything else

Even the musics kinda bad, only battle on the big bridge is good

>> No.3354419

I only played the first five FFs, would I enjoy the rest of the mainline games if the only ones I enjoyed (out of the first five, of course) were 1, 3 and 5?

>> No.3354483

9> every other ff

Sure, the swirling fight starting animation takes a couple seconds, but nowhere near as long as people complain about.

Random encounter rate felt just right.

All the characters were likeable/interesting

The zidane and garnet love story was very well done and didnt didstract from the main plot

And vivi is the shit. Possibly my favorite character in any video game ever.

>> No.3354485

>>3354483
Also the way you learn skills by equiping certain items was awesome and i wish more games did it

>> No.3354735

>>3345375
They're JRPGs so they're literally all garbage.

>> No.3354741

>>3349646
You're one of the autists who think Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't a Mario game aren't you?

>> No.3354808

>>3346076
no crisis core?

>> No.3354826

>>3354419
not /vr/ but you should definitely play bravely default

based on what you've said I assume you enjoy the job system, none of the other main games really have it to that same degree