[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 18 KB, 291x350, Blood_logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3341865 No.3341865 [Reply] [Original]

Why is this game so unpredictable?

I've been killed by doors a million times, the characters clamber around and act weird when they get close, enemies sometimes wander around/away, and the auto aim is weird sometimes.

Is the collision detection, or whatever, really bad in this game, or something?

I also went back to play the original versions of Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior, and I tried to kill myself with doors and mess around with the enemies, but everything worked just fine, leading me to believe these problems are only present in Blood for some reason.

This is a good game, but I dislike the above aspects because it makes it feel unpolished. Are there mods or something to fix this? I realize that this game famously doesn't have a real source port, but I was wondering if there are any fixes.

>> No.3341872

>>3341865
Just always crouch.

Not joking

>> No.3342063

The killer doors are a feature of Build engine games.

>> No.3342098

Dunno OP but I feel like every time I play this game enemies just get stuck on things and stand there doing nothing. Build Engine games have never really been known for their stellar AI anyway.

>> No.3342287

>>3341872
why, exactly?

all I can think of is:
>makes your hitbox smaller (?)
>seems to cause the baddies to pause a moment before shooting you

any other specific reasons? is stealth a thing? will the killer doors fly over me?

>> No.3342551

I play Blood a lot and none of this ever happens to me.

Last time someone here complained about stupid shit in Blood he was actually playing BloodCM.

>> No.3342636

Doors kill. Doors autoclose. There's nothing 'unpredictable', except for the very first time you get killed. How long can it take you to adapt?

>> No.3342657

>>3341865
i never got killed by a door
which is strange because i cant count the numbers of times they killed me in DN

>> No.3342682

>>3342636
this

Also OP the AI can be weird but it mostly works like this. The first time you approach an enemy that's looking away from you, he'll turn around and know you're behind him when you get close. After that though enemies walk towards the last place they've seen you, or the last place you've shot them from. They also only walk forward in front of themselves, so if some obstacle alters their trajectory they'll keep going walking in that direction. This is why if you jump over a zombie's head to behind him he'll still be walking away from you because the last place he saw you was in front of himself. Those other times when it feels randomly it actually isn't, because the zombie turned for whatever reason during your combat, and then you moved away too from his field of view, and then the zombie started walking straight in the last direction he saw you and you were no longer there.

It's not even sound based like doom btw. If a cultist or other enemy is already walking in a direction away from you and you blast your weapon, provided you don't hit him he won't even turn around.

i probably wrote this badly but eh

>> No.3342687

>>3341865
I finished it with DOSBox and never had this issue.

maybe you shouldn't hang out in doorways so much? or are you playing some shitty 'port'?

>> No.3342712

>>3342287
It's not just crouching, you also gotta be moving while you're crouched. Crouching (while moving/strafing) will generally make cultists miss you a lot more because it fucks with their aim (and if they do hit you it often won't be the full blast of their shrapnel but a smaller part of it). You can also use it to intentionally 'dodge' bullets but this takes practice and requires a more nuanced understanding.

And yes they do often take a moment longer to shoot at you while you're crouching. There are positions where if you were on your feet in front of a cultist instead of standing he would have blasted you instead of standing idly by. You can use a crouching and circling technique when you're close to cultists to manipulate their AI into not shooting you at all.

One of the ways you can deal with cultists is rotation. If you're making fast strafing circular movements around them (not even crouching) they'll keep turning their bodies to line up against yours before they blast at you, so they won't shoot at all as long as you keep circling. With crouching you can use this circling method in close proximity to them and they won't fire at you but will just watch as you circle around them while prone, allowing you get a nice up close and personal double shotgun blast.

Crouching also gives you much better control of your movement and exposure for things like peaking. If you play Blood with autorun on (as you should) then in my experience the normal run key does not make Caleb walk when pressed. Even if it did though I'd still use crouch for peaking over it because of the above reasons. Also you don't have to worry about having to build up your momentum disadvantage while prone because you simply jump out of the prone position into any direction you want and Caleb will go from 0 to 60 instantly.

>> No.3342728

>>3342712
The best ways to deal with cultists is never to be in their LOS. Throw TNT around corners with the altfire, or flareburst them and run away while they burn. Minimal risk, maximum death.

Pitchforking them to death 1 V 1 is pretty fun though.

>> No.3342731
File: 93 KB, 1179x883, 1466924190822.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Tchernobog boss fight
>"oh man this is gonna be gr8 i bet he has all kind of cool attacks"
>went down after 2 minutes of circling through the hall
>mfw

the Stone Gargoyle boss fight was more challenging

>> No.3342751
File: 2.87 MB, 640x480, merry go round.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3342728
>The best ways to deal with cultists is never to be in their LOS. Throw TNT around corners with the altfire, or flareburst them and run away while they burn. Minimal risk, maximum death.
anybody can do that but it's fucking boring. I prefer fighting cultists head on.

>> No.3342762

>>3342751
suit yourself. Some of us play on higher difficulties where conserving health is a must. You always have plenty of TNT, might as well put it to good use

>> No.3342767
File: 2.87 MB, 640x480, carnival movement.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3342762
All these webms are on Well Done difficulty and I can go through the whole game single sitting without dying on both EC and WD.

>> No.3342769
File: 2.98 MB, 640x480, itburns.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3342767
There's absolutely nothing stopping me from hurling alt dynamite around all these corners but why should I do it when I don't have to find it far more fun and engaging to play this way.

>> No.3342801

>>3342712
>There are positions where if you were on your feet in front of a cultist instead of standing
*instead of crouching

>> No.3343083
File: 1.56 MB, 640x480, first cultist ai.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3342682
>>3342712
Here are some examples of the stuff I was talking about in the above two posts.

Instead of waiting for that first Cultist to come to the gate I can use nuances of his AI against him and play more aggressively without getting shot. Same with the second one; I use the rotation so that he doesn't shoot at me.

>> No.3343086
File: 2.21 MB, 640x480, train station rotation.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3343083

>> No.3343089
File: 988 KB, 640x480, e1m2 door cultist.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3343086
Here I use the crouch rotation (instead of waiting to bait him) so that the Cultist behind the door doesn't blast, despite being right in front of him.

>> No.3343094
File: 276 KB, 640x480, train dodge.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3343089
This is an intentional 'dodge' from that first cultist blast. Another example of this can be seen here >>3342767 when that first Cultist blasts.

>> No.3343103
File: 838 KB, 640x480, train crouching.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3343094
Here are obvious benefits of crouching that show Cultist are far less accurate when you do it. If you spent the same amount of time standing in front of them as in this webm, you would get blasted the fuck up. Note that this is on Well Done (the higher difficulty you go the more their accuracy increases) and so are all the other webms.

>> No.3343105

>>3343089
Can this be done with the original install. Or the install from GoG. Looks like whatever you are using to run Blood interferes more than skill or tricks.

>> No.3343107

>>3343105
This is the gog version, which is just Blood emulated on DOSbox. You dont know what you're talking about.

>> No.3343112

>>3343107
Do I look like I want to know what I am talking about, about such a junk game? That isn't the GoG version, kid.

>> No.3343114

>>3343112
It is the gog version running at low native resolution because my laptop was a piece of shit. Tell me which 'version' it is then. BloodCM? ZDoom?

>> No.3343116

>>3343103
Wew, I didn't even know you could get the napalm in the early levels. You're pretty good at the game by the way.

>> No.3343124
File: 2.78 MB, 640x480, temple.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3343103
here's another example of 'dodging' at the 16 second mark. notice that the semi-on-fire cultist blasts two shots, and despite being right in front of him and on WD skill he doesn't hit.

>>3343116
thanks brah. the napalm launcher's in a 'super secret' on map 1

>> No.3343152

You can avoid cultist if you straferun really fast without stopping.
But I usually use the Tommy to wound them and force them into their "dodge" state.