[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 116 KB, 256x244, Chronocrossbox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3320774 No.3320774 [Reply] [Original]

I got this somewhat recently and started playing. Is it really that bad guys? I need some honest opinions, not just comparisons to Trigger.

>> No.3320784

>>3320774
I liked it a lot better than Trigger. But I also don't like Trigger all that much.

Just make up your own fucking mind. Stop worrying that your opinion doesn't line up with the most popular ones around. Play the game and see for yourself if you like it.

>> No.3320790

>>3320774
It's good but it tends to drag and it's pretty easy save for a few parts. Magic is largely worthless.

>> No.3320803

>>3320774
mostly nostalgia plays a big role when it is getting judged, Toriyamas style was the glue that kept all those ideas of CT together. Also the faggots that felt the need to compare it to FF7

>> No.3320818

It's a pretty mediocre game.
Inventive, but mediocre.

>> No.3320838

>>3320774
It suffers from the same problem as Trigger in the sense that it's way too easy, magic is 90% worthless and the multiple endings are simply ending checkpoints in a linear plot instead of true routes, but it's technically much better on everything else, at least it does try in being a bit different from most RPG even though it fails most of the times.
That said, it depends on what you want from the game, if you like vanilla JRPGs then you'll enjoy Trigger more, if you prefer something more unusual in terms of battle mechanics, characters and general aesthetics then you'll enjoy Cross more.

>> No.3320861

>>3320774
Decent game, horrible sequel. The largest flaw it has is that magic "elements" are badly balanced (you only get "tactical" stuff very later on) and it's incredibly easy. Since it uses a "no grind lol" system, you can't even prevent being overleveled for pretty much every fight. It has no challenge whatsoever, yet the dungeons drag on for what seems like an eternity.

>> No.3321121
File: 1021 KB, 733x1000, best girl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Best girl

>> No.3321456

Let me start by saying that I never played Chrono trigger before this game. I LOVED Cross. I will admit the story needs a lot of work, but the atmosphere and music was amazing. and the art was literally something i aspired to create one day. I'm pretty certain Chrono Cross was the last JRPG I ever played.

>> No.3321480

I find it an enjoyable game, but I think it's worth playing for the soundtrack alone.

>> No.3321502

It's a good game. Not great, but good.

Fantastic soundtrack.

>> No.3321779

Yes, the soundtrack is amazing. Otherwise the games shits all the fuck over CT's plot and themes and messages, but let's just ignore that gigantic turd pile and focus on it from a gameplay perspective. Well, guess what? it still has some serious oversight problems.

There a over 40 characters and you can only bring three to a party. One of whom is the mandatory MC. While (again) not getting into the problems this game caused CT's legacy having so many characters just shitwrecks most chances for there to be ANY character development since most cast members only have *any* up to their recruitment. The Viper Manor crew are like the sole exceptions and even they stop figuring in after awhile.

There are too many Blue Element people.

Alot of these characters are utter shit and were just put in because the devs felt like they wanted a skeleton clown or a plant girl or Freddie Mercury around.

And to top it all off? Only three characters can learn how to steal items. This steal mechanic is a *once per battle* deal, and guess what? One of these three is a plot character who comes and goes, the other is an optional character you're locked out of if you go a certain way in the game leaving you FORCED to use an admittedly cool pirate guy. But still, it's forcing you to use a character if you want to steal items and you DO want to steal shit so you can get the best tier of equipment in the game. So while it technically plays okay, there are oversights. Oversights that make it hard to enjoy even if you tune out the plot.

>> No.3321790

Play it and make your own damn opinion.

>> No.3321972

>>3321779
True, but as you said, you will be using said pirate guy anyway since nobody gives a shit about the other two.

>> No.3321979

>>3320818
I'm sure it is Sheldon.

>> No.3322007

>>3321779
>Alot of these characters are utter shit and were just put in because the devs felt like they wanted a skeleton clown or a plant girl or Freddie Mercury around.
>Dissing on Based Fargo

Fuck off, he has the best character arc and growth in the game.