Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 359 KB, 1026x800, 1069399_orig.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3320683 No.3320683 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Why was Super Mario 3 so superior to its successor Super Mario World?

>> No.3320685

Thread #1694

>> No.3320691

Both games are GOAT, but I prefer SMW simply because of better/more advanced physics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWgvPSkgMzY

>> No.3320696

>>3320683

>more suits
>actually challenging
>crazier levels
>better secrets

>> No.3320715

>>3320696
>>better secrets

?

>> No.3320721

Super Mario World, with the save feature and basically infinite lives/powerups (we all know which levels you can grab a feather and start select) is responsible for the pussification of a whole generation

>> No.3320727

>>3320721

Damn man, you're so hardcore. Can I have your autograph?

>> No.3320738

>>3320696
>actually challenging
>you can milk one coins for 99 lives in one stage.
Pick one.

>> No.3320750

>>3320738

You can do this in Mario World too, but in SMB3 and SMB1 it's at least "a secret"

I mean actually challenging relative to Super Mario World. Nobody is gonna disagree that Super Mario Bros 3 is more challenging than Super Mario World

>> No.3320783

Both games are shit.

SMW - Easy as fuck. Can get 99 lives using secret levels.

SMB3 - Tons of levels and no save features. No wonder they included a couple flutes. It's like they knew no one wanted to sit down and play all those shitty levels in one sitting.

Yoshi's Island blows them both out of the water.

>> No.3320804

>>3320783

Can we dispel with this fiction that Yoshi's Island is a Mario game?

>> No.3320809
File: 137 KB, 768x672, Yoshi's Island.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3320809

>>3320804
>Can we dispel with this fiction that Yoshi's Island is a Mario game?
You don't play as Princess Zelda in Legend of Zelda. You play as Link. However, Legend of Zelda is still a Zelda game.

So even though you don't play as Mario as the main-character in Super Mario World 2, it's still a Mario game in North America.

>> No.3320810

The one that lets you ride a dinosaur, you negro.

>> No.3320817
File: 33 KB, 368x500, v1.cDsxMzY0MzI2ODtqOzE3MDY1OzIwNDg7MzY4OzUwMA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3320817

>>3320809

>> No.3320820

>>3320685
This thread has been made so many times that I would doubt people actually still care about this debate, this in case anyone really cared about it to begin with.

That being said, Super Mario Bros 2 was better than both.

>> No.3320823

>>3320691
This. It feels better to me.

>> No.3320826

>>3320820
Yume Kojo Doki Doki Panic isn't a Mario game, sorry.

>> No.3320827
File: 6 KB, 256x224, 7jf9950klid6gf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3320827

Super Mario World has prettier graphics. Some of the stages in Mario 3 are ugly. Mario 3's levels are also way too short. SMW offers longer stages with more exploration.

Anyone who says Super Mario World is too easy are spamming tricks (that you don't have to use) and have not played the Special stages.

Nostalgia is strong with Super Mario 3, but I think World is a much better game. People from the NES era just can't let go and move on. It's kinda sad.

>> No.3320829

>>3320826
>Kojo Doki Doki Panic isn't a Mario game
That's true. But Super Mario Bros. 2, that added a run button and different playable characters, IS a Mario game.

>> No.3320935

>>3320809
yoshi fags are the most autistic people ever though

>> No.3320941

>>3320683
It wasn't, idiot.

>> No.3320951

>>3320935
>yoshi fags are the most autistic people ever though
What's wrong with being autistic?

>> No.3320954

>>3320951
nothing if you keep it to yourself, if you're one of those sperglords who has no social awareness and is out making yoshi noises in public you just need to do us all a favor and kill yourself.

>> No.3320962

Super Mario Bros. 3 came out at the end of the NES's life and was the culmination of everything Nintendo had done with the NES. They threw everything they had at the game.

Super Mario World was a launch title that only scratched the surface of what the SNES was capable of, plus it was rushed to meet the launch date.

A shame that Nintendo didn't make another Mario game for the SNES that pushed the SNES to the limits.

>> No.3320971

>>3320962
>A shame that Nintendo didn't make another Mario game for the SNES that pushed the SNES to the limits.
Yeah, because Super Mario World 2 doesn't exist.

>> No.3320975

>>3320971
I said Mario game.

>> No.3320976

I can't pinpoint it exactly but its the difficulty and differences with maps, level layouts, power ups, and bonus points for being on less powerful hardware.

SMW is legit easy as piss cause you can just grind the first level for 5 lives a go.

also 3 had that protastic white block 'glitch' to get behind the map and look like an wizard.

>> No.3320991

>>3320975
>I said Mario game.
Super Mario World 2 is a Mario game.

That's like saying Legend of Zelda isn't a Zelda game, because you don't play as Zelda.

>> No.3321060

>>3320991
No it isn't. It's a Yoshi game. It even spawned its own line of Yoshi platformer sequels.

SMW2 was only the name given to it in the West to try to trick people into thinking it was a sequel to SMW.

Also, it didn't push the SNES to its limits since all of the heavy lifting in the game was done by the SuperFX coprocessor.

>> No.3321076
File: 4 KB, 256x240, smb2j.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321076

>>3320683
Neither. Give me this instead.

>> No.3321085

>>3321060
>No it isn't. It's a Yoshi game.
Nintendo considers it a Mario game. Dosn't matter what you say, faggot.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Mario_games

>> No.3321097

>>3321085
>Wikia
>official source
Pick one and only one.

But hey, if you want to play that card, here's a page on that exact same Wikia about Yoshi games.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Yoshi_games

What do you know, Yoshi's Island is listed. Guess your "source" is garbage.

>> No.3321102

>>3320991
This is a stupid argument and you know it. Which main Zelda game do you primarily play as any character other than Link? Legend of Zelda is thoroughly established as an adventure/puzzle game where you play as our hero Link.

I'm not even saying SMW 2 isn't a Mario game, but your defense is no defense at all. A slightly better retort might be saying, "That's like saying Link's Awakening isn't a Zelda game because there's no Zelda in it." Still weak, but its better than what you're saying.

>> No.3321103

>yoshi isn't a mario game
nor is wario, now stop being a splerg and realise their point is that since yoshi is a character in the mario universe its a 'mario game', you autistic manchild.

>> No.3321113

>>3321102
>This is a stupid argument
No. It's actually a great argument.

>>3321097
Super Mario World 2 will always be a Mario game. Get over yourself.

>> No.3321116
File: 86 KB, 917x1154, 1467054194337.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321116

>>3320783
Yoshis island is barely fun

>> No.3321124

and I can tell you are just baiting at this point, but mario 2 was -not- a mario game, because its a sprite replacement on another game entirely, look it up.

>> No.3321126

>>3321097
Everyone knows Super Mario World 2 is a Mario game, dumbass.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/mario/231792/marios-18-greatest-ranking-the-mario-platformers

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/29/the-best-super-mario-games-ever-the-top-14-games-from-bros-to-galaxy-4207218/

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-definitive-super-mario-rankings-30-years-35-games

>> No.3321129

>>3321124
>and I can tell you are just baiting at this point, but mario 2 was -not- a mario game, because its a sprite replacement on another game entirely, look it up.
Doki Doki Panic doesn't feature a run button. Therefore, the gameplay was altered, along with the sprites. Super Mario Bros. 2 is a Mario game.

>> No.3321139
File: 63 KB, 579x350, shiggy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321139

>>3320683
http://poal.me/581hxf

VOTE, NOW!!

>> No.3321148

>>3321139
One of the games listed is NOT RETRO, and you missed a Mario game for the Super NES.

>> No.3321151

What's the best side-scrolling Mario game?

VOTE HERE!

http://poal.me/z43dgj

>> No.3321157

>>3321151
Lol, kill yourself, Yoshifag.

>> No.3321161

>>3321148
Mario Maker is technically a remake of 3 retro Mario games, and remakes are allowed here on /vr/.

>> No.3321165

>>3321157
>Mariofag
Fixed that for you.

>> No.3321167

>>3321148
Yoshi game for the Super NES*

>> No.3321169
File: 14 KB, 401x343, Hey!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321169

>>3321151
>Super Mario World is winning
So overrated, am I the only one who thinks Mario 2 is way better?

>> No.3321174

>>3321113
It's a Yoshi game that piggybacks off of the Super Mario World name. That is what it is and what it has always been. Get over yourself.

>>3321126
Yoshi's Island is not a Mario game.

>> No.3321178

>>3321174
>Yoshi's Island
Love how you ignore the full title of the game. Tell us, anon. What's the full title of Yoshi's Island? I dare you. You don't have the balls to say it, fag.

>> No.3321181

>>3321178
Not him but the original japanese title is simply Yoshi's Island.

>> No.3321183
File: 230 KB, 381x277, smw3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321183

Anyone play Super Mario World 3? Man, that sure was a great game, huh?

>> No.3321184

>>3321178
>What's the full title of Yoshi's Island?
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

>> No.3321187
File: 25 KB, 570x511, sml3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321187

Or how about another classic: Super Mario Land 3? Best portable Mario game ever!

>> No.3321190

>>3321184
>Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Exactly. Look at the second word in the title. See where it says Mario?

>> No.3321194

They're all great tbqhbbqfamicom

>> No.3321196
File: 119 KB, 720x540, Ded.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321196

>Comes in thread to discuss Mario 3 and Mario World
>Thread is polluted by autistic posters upset that Yoshi's Island is called a Mario game
>Leaves thread

>> No.3321201

>>3321190
I wasn't disagreeing with you, anon. It's definitely a Mario game. Don't get the hate for it not being one

>> No.3321202

>>3321184
Mario is just a universe fag. every associated in that universe is technically a "Mario game".

>> No.3321203

>>3321196
Blame the autistic Yoshifags that keep demanding Yoshi's Island to be considered a Mario game.

>> No.3321207

>>3321201
>>3321202
>>3321203
>Blame the autistic Yoshifags that keep demanding Yoshi's Island to be considered a Mario game
Except it is considered a Mario game.

Actually, it's both a Mario game, and a Yoshi game. See how easy this is to understand? Can you all meet each other halfway and accept the game is both? Why is that so hard?

>> No.3321208

>>3321187
>Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
The SML games were a series on the GB you tard.

>> No.3321212

>>3321202
>every associated in that universe is technically a "Mario game"
Now you get it. Which would make Super Mario World 2 a Mario game, as well.

>> No.3321216

>>3321207
>Actually, it's both a Mario game, and a Yoshi game. See how easy this is to understand? Can you all meet each other halfway and accept the game is both? Why is that so hard?
We never claimed it wasn't a Yoshi game. We only said it's a Mario game. Which it is. And I agree. It's technically a Mario AND Yoshi game.

But the anon saying it's not will never admit it's both, because that would be to admit he was wrong about it not being a Mario game. And that's not gonna happen. Sign of weakness if you ask me.

>> No.3321217

>>3321085
>>3321097
Okay, so what would you guys consider Donkey Kong Jr. then? It doesn't have Mario as the playable character, but he is a major character in it.

>> No.3321223

>>3321217
Donkey Kong Jr. is considered a Donkey Kong game.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Donkey_Kong_games

Super Mario World 2 is considered both a Mario, and Yoshi game.

>> No.3321228

>>3321208
>the joke
>your head

>> No.3321235

>>3321212
so is donkey kong country a mario game?

>> No.3321239

>>3321207
Gameplay in YI is totally different from gameplay in Super Mario games. Sorry you're too delusional to understand.

>> No.3321252

>>3321239
>Sorry you're too delusional to understand.
Thinks Nintendo is too delusional to understand their own franchises' classifications.

>> No.3321264

>>3321252
SMW2 is a non-canon title. Go ask Shiggy about it.

>> No.3321275
File: 668 KB, 1198x830, scan3336_00010001[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321275

>>3320804
>Super Mario World 2
>not a Mario game

>> No.3321281

>>3321239
>Gameplay in YI is totally different from gameplay in Super Mario games.

Yeah, you run around and jump on mooks. So fucking different.

>> No.3321287

>>3321281
>having throwable eggs in Mario
>having health regen in Mario
>having flutter jump in Mario
>vehicle transformations in Mario

>> No.3321290

>>3321239
>Gameplay in YI is totally different from gameplay in Super Mario games
So is it in Mario 2.

>> No.3321291
File: 73 KB, 360x361, mario2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321291

>>3321290
Not really.

>> No.3321294

>>3321291
Not that shitty fucking romhack. I mean proper Mario 2 where you throw enemies and vegetables and shit.

>> No.3321315

>>3321294
Oh, you mean the Doki Doki Panic palette swap. That's not the official Mario 2.

>> No.3321316

>>3321228
>my dick
>your head

>> No.3321317

>>3321315
Yeah. Is. Yeah.

>> No.3321319

>>3321317
Only in Burgerland. The rest of the world considers Mario 2 on the FDS to be the proper, true sequel.

>> No.3321330

Why is OP a faggot?

>> No.3321417

>>3321319
Sure we do. Genius.

>> No.3321460

It's all down to preference anyway.

SMB3 is shorter, but harder, because it was intended to be played in one sitting.

SMW is longer, more intended for completionists who want to come back to it later.

>> No.3321514
File: 2.13 MB, 540x360, VCwallkicks.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321514

>>3320691
you can do all kinds of cool shit like this in Super Mario 64 too. i miss when Mario games had actual mechanical depth.

>> No.3321547

>>3320683
Because Mario has weight and momentum, he feels perfect in SMB3.

SMW made him a feather with too much hangtime at the peak of his jump.

>> No.3321548

>>3321319
>the rest of the world
Japan is one country, not the rest of the world, weeb.

>> No.3321550
File: 123 KB, 612x563, 94e183147529f6260edd5260d7de5a17.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3321550

>>3321169
>Not worshipping Mario 2
>Not in love with shy guys

>> No.3321553

>>3321169
i wanted to vote for Mario 2 but i had to give it to Mario 3, couldn't let that piece of shit World win

>> No.3321554

>>3321547
SMB3 mario is significantly more floaty than SMW mario.

both games feel great desu

>> No.3321558

>>3321554
No it isn't, not by a long shot.

>> No.3321575

>>3321558
>No it isn't, not by a long shot.
you're fucking stupid. compare the max speed jump height in these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNVbV4FJ1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6hygIQyxws

>> No.3321584

>>3321575
the vanilla mario jumping at max speed in SMB3 is more like taking off and gliding than it is jumping. obviously the physics are more floaty in SMB3 than in SMW, if you disagree you are literally blind or retarded.

>> No.3321613

>>3320827
SMW has worse art direction, and the music isn't as catchy and memorable. They play pretty much exactly the same though.

>> No.3321614

>>3320935
Yoshi's island is the best thing to come out of the Mario universe. It is, however, not a Mario game.

>> No.3321616

>>3321584
>They play pretty much exactly the same though.
lmao. it's funny how imperceptive people are of game mechanics sometimes.

i'll chalk it up to many of you not having actually played the games back to back in years.

>> No.3321621

>>3321514
All those A-button presses. BAKA

>> No.3321692

>>3320683
3 is hard while world is a cake walk

>> No.3321734

So let me get this straight: all of you are trying to debate over which game is "better", yet you can't agree on what a Mario game even is?

>> No.3321738

>>3321319

Didn't Miyamoto himself forsake TLL, and say that SMB2 USA was the definitive sequel?

And didn't it actually start as a Mario Game, before being turned to Doki Doki Panic, and then back again?

>> No.3321750

>>3321124
That game didn't look as good as Mario 2

>> No.3321754

>>3321550
Oh damn, what a SGILF

>> No.3321760

>>3321738
It almost makes more sense to think of SMB2-US as a gaiden game. But I think they should both be evaluated as sequels to SMB, for practicality. I think they're both damn good games and am not inclined to pick between them.

>> No.3321765

>>3321315
It says Mario 2 right on the game

>> No.3321883

>>3321738
>Didn't Miyamoto himself forsake TLL, and say that SMB2 USA was the definitive sequel?

That's a bit strong, but he was complimentary and SMB2 enemies like the Ninjas made it into other Mario games.

>And didn't it actually start as a Mario Game, before being turned to Doki Doki Panic, and then back again?

Yes. It's a Mario game.

>> No.3321905

Reminder that Mario 2 USA wouldn't exist if it hadn't been for NoA's president insisting that they reskin DDP to be Mario 2 in America, since they couldn't handle the challenge that the true SMB2 offers.

>> No.3321906

>>3321905
Hey glad you could join us without going over the rest of the thread

>> No.3321910

I love both games. I'm maybe a bit partial to Mario 3's graphical style, but I can't choose just one.

>> No.3322368

Someone should really come up with a way of mixing the games into a single giant game-map full of levels from all the old 2d games. I don't mean the cartridge that has all the games on it, I a mean mix that lets the player move between the levels during the same play session, and combines the power-up collections from all the games.

>> No.3322454

Some SMW levels seemed bland, but SMB3 had pretty short levels.

SMB3 has the better overground and castle themes, but SMW's chill-as-fuck underground and underwater themes are GOAT.

Both game have sorta lame boss fights but I prefer the SMW castles over the SMB3 airships.

I feel like the secret exits, yoshi, and the more complex controls (spin jump, throwing objects upwards, cape flying) give SMW the edge over SMB3.

>> No.3322495

>>3322454

This. I honestly think SMB3 is overrated as fuck when SMW is superior in pretty much every way. Sure SMB3 is fun, but the ABSOLUTE BEST? Damn, NES lovers.

>> No.3322527

>>3322454
>I prefer the SMW castles over the SMB3 airships.
definitely. fuck the airships. autoscrolling levels are lazy and boring.

>> No.3322530

>>3320683

Because contrarians.

>> No.3322537

>>3322530
No, not because contrarians.

>> No.3322853

>>3322527
SMW castles were fun, but they didn't feel very different from the fortresses of SMB3. I gotta give credit to SMB3's airships for doing something completely different from its normal stages. They were essentially a platforming variation of a bullet hell.

>> No.3322889

>>3320783
Yoshi's Island is boring as shit compared to both SMB3 and SMW. I think the egg throwing feels too slow and finicky compared to normal Mario games.

>> No.3322959

>>3322889
Exactly. The difficulty is a joke and the platforming is nowhere near as tight.

>> No.3322981

>>3320829
>Super Mario Bros. 2, that added a run button
This has been in since the first super mario bros.

>> No.3322990

Sonic 2 is better than SMB3 and SMW. Only SMB1 beats them all. Suck it up faggots!

>> No.3323047

>>3322981
But Doki Doki Panic did not have a run button.

>> No.3323403

>>3322368

You'd have to remake everything from scratch since they're all so mechanically different from each other.

It's probably only feasible for SMB1 and TLL.

Still, it sounds fun if they could pull it off.

Maybe even keep in the SMB2 character differences.

This all sounds like Sonic Classic Heroes to me, which is another great hack that combines games together.

>> No.3323406

>>3322889

I think it was fine except for the castles.
Those levels made the game come to a crashing halt, every time.

>> No.3323841

SMB3 was way better. It's not even a fucking contest.

SMW's secret exits started a long trend of puzzle bullshit that plagued Mario 3D Land. The fact that they used alternate routes and extra levels as rewards made those secrets feel like you were checking shit off a list rather than just being a cool thing you found in SMB3.

The physics in SMW sucked donkey dick. Mario had very little momentum, so you could juke around in midair and recover from all but the worst jumps. In 3, you always had to plan things out, and think about the jump more before you committed to it.

>> No.3323973

>>3323841
This guy gets it

>> No.3324007

>>3321547
>>3321558
>>3323841

I made a video for stupid faggots like you guys who seem to have either forgotten how SMB3 works, or are just plain imperceptive of game mechanics. Imagine being so delusional that you think SMB3 isn't floaty or that you can't "juke around in midair" to an even more excessive degree than SMW. You can reach the top of the screen just by bouncing off a fucking goomba.

You don't have to plan out shit in SMB3. You gain so much height and have so much midair control that you don't have to think about anything lmao.

https://youtu.be/h7Yl7rfUnGA

>> No.3324010

>>3324007
and for the record, I think SMB3 controls great. I just vehemently disagree with this silly ass notion people have that it's less floaty than SMW.

>> No.3324012

>>3324007
>>3324010

Absolutely based. Well done, anon.

>> No.3324015

>>3324007
> can barely move Mario around in mid-air

Thanks for proving that other anon right that SMB3 is stiffer than SMW.

>> No.3324019

>>3324015
Are you fucking blind? Did you not watch me jump off the 3rd goomba and magically gain enough momentum midair to fly all the way left to the block?

I'm starting to see a connection between SMB3 fanboyism and being a stupid fuck.

>> No.3324029

super mario legend of the seven stars this tho

>> No.3324031

>>3324019
>keeps harping on about momentum when we're referring to flexibility

And you're calling others stupid?

Just so you'll understand: try wiggling Mario around mid-air in SMW. He'll snap in various directions like he's made of paper. Not so in SMB3. That's what people mean when they call SMW controls too floaty.

>> No.3324046

>>3324031
>keeps harping on about momentum when we're referring to flexibility
and now you're shifting the goalposts.

if you want to communicate effectively, try using words properly the first time instead of twisting them around after the fact.

>> No.3324075

>>3324046
Guy who started the chain here.
Actually I said "feathery" >>3321547, which is exactly what that other anon is describing about whipping back and forth.

>> No.3324090

>>3321103
Dude, relax. That's probably an *actual* child you're dumping on, yknow...

>> No.3324096

>>3324075
>"feathery"
The words you used were actually: "SMW made him a feather with too much hangtime at the peak of his jump."

SMB3 has more hangtime at the peak of a jump than SMW, as demonstrated by my video. A basic held jump in SMB3 gives you much more air time than a held jump in SMW. The maximum jump height in SMB3 is also much higher than a held jump in SMW, whether you're jumping from a standstill, off objects, or from your maximum speed.

Forgive me for assuming that the "feather" adjective would be used to describe physical properties of a feather (more lift, more airtime, slower to fall.)

>> No.3324146
File: 261 KB, 935x720, Uh Huh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3324146

>>3324046
>and now you're shifting the goalposts
You're probably that weird atheist dude, aren't you? You're pretty easy to spot online. Your grammar sucks, and "moving goal posts" is all you ever mention when someone calls you out.

You are arrogant. That's your biggest problem.

>> No.3324152

>>3324096

The jump physics in SMW drove me nuts.

There's zero air momentum.

>> No.3324153

>>3324146
>You're probably that weird atheist dude, aren't you?
You're that guy who cries like a bitch instead of presenting an argument, aren't you?

>> No.3324172
File: 15 KB, 582x185, 6Rq1VGp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3324172

>>3324152
>zero air momentum
Interesting. And all this time I thought you needed to build up momentum to reach maximum jump height or fly with the cape.

Next time I play SMW I'll try flying with the cape without building momentum, because if air momentum doesn't exist, I shouldn't need it to fly.

>> No.3324276

>>3324153
>You're that guy who cries like a bitch instead of presenting an argument, aren't you?
I entered this thread, seen your pussy comment, and laughed. That's why I responded. I have no argument for any subjects in this thread.

You're like a living cartoon character. Your parents must be so proud. At least you're good for a laugh, though.

>> No.3324279

>it's another "99 lives via a trick you have to intentionally do means it's an easy game" thread

I guess Meatboy is the easiest game ever since you have unlimited lives.

>> No.3324297

Both are good games. I prefer world because enemies are cool and you get to see all their names in the credits. The overworld is less segmented, giving a nice feel of journey and adventure. It would like it to be a bit harder though.

>> No.3324446
File: 62 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3324446

>make sure to set that bait

>> No.3324457

>>3324279

Any argument founded on "game is bad because easy/game is good because hard" is retarded to begin with.

>> No.3324561

>>3324297
>It would like it to be a bit harder though.
There are plenty of very challenging Super Mario World romhacks that you can even play on a console if you have an everdrive.

>> No.3324780

>>3324096
>slower to fall
Seems that's part of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6tUcFDEetw&t=42s
I found this breakdown comparison for the standstill jump, and I think the reason I find SMW's jump weird has something to do with the balance of ascent and descent. SMB3 has a longer ascent time with a faster drop speed, whereas SMW makes them both perfectly even.

Though I also wish we had another one like this with a frame by frame breakdown of every kind of jump including momentum, turning, enemy collision, etc.

>> No.3324862

>all these loud-ass smw fanboys
>go to the poll posted in this thread
>SM3 is edging out over SMW in votes

All this thread has proven to me is that smw fans are showboaty crybabies. Kind of like Final Fantasy III kids. Actually, now that I think about it, I think the SNES might have the most cancerous /vr/ fanbase in general.

>> No.3324885

>>3324007
>>3323841 here, and I honestly don't know how this is supposed to prove your point. Most of the jumps in this video are made at a walking speed or a complete standstill, when the P-Meter is completely dark. Obviously momentum isn't gonna affect your jump nearly as much if you're not moving. But at about 26 seconds, you inadvertently prove my point, when you take a running jump that you try to readjust... and end up about a block short of where you would've landed anyway.

As for the goomba thing you brought up in a later post? You were already moving in that direction when you hit it the second time, so that doesn't have anything to do with momentum, since there was nothing pushing against you.

>> No.3324961

More importantly, was it a feather or a leaf in Mario 3? Some kid when I was in school insisted it was a feather but I was all like "nar".

>> No.3324964

>>3324862
>the SNES might have the most cancerous /vr/ fanbase in general.
agreed, although psx/ps2 babbies are pretty shit tier as well

>> No.3324965

>>3324961
A leaf. It's based on Japan's mythology.

>> No.3324968
File: 57 KB, 299x299, 1360332779382.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
3324968

>it's a thread gets derailed by autism episode

>> No.3324970

>>3324961
Clearly a leaf.
It's even more obvious when you play as Luigi because it's green.

>> No.3324974

>>3324970
That's what I thought but I suppose it could have been a poorly rendered 8-bit feather. Feathers do have more of a direct association with flight, after all.

>> No.3325175 [DELETED] 

>>3324885
>But at about 26 seconds, you inadvertently prove my point, when you take a running jump that you try to readjust... and end up about a block short of where you would've landed anyway.
Guess again, dipshit. Here's a video of the same jump done without readjusting myself in the air.

https://youtu.be/6431H0PJlNc

If I hadn't readjusted myself midair I would've flown all the way to the first set of stair shaped blocks several tiles to the right.

Learn how the god damn game works.

>> No.3325187 [DELETED] 

>>3324885
>But at about 26 seconds, you inadvertently prove my point, when you take a running jump that you try to readjust... and end up about a block short of where you would've landed anyway.
Guess again, dipshit. Here's a video of the same jump done without readjusting myself in the air.

https://youtu.be/6431H0PJlNc [Embed]

If I hadn't readjusted myself midair I would've flown all the way to the first set of stair shaped blocks several tiles to the right. Learn how the god damn game works.

>As for the goomba thing you brought up in a later post? You were already moving in that direction when you hit it the second time, so that doesn't have anything to do with momentum, since there was nothing pushing against you.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I was moving in that direction very slowly while midair, then suddenly built up a bunch of speed without running or touching the ground. I instantaneously shifted my momentum.

>> No.3325194

>>3324885
>But at about 26 seconds, you inadvertently prove my point, when you take a running jump that you try to readjust... and end up about a block short of where you would've landed anyway.
Guess again, dipshit. Here's a video of the same jump done without readjusting myself in the air.

https://youtu.be/6431H0PJlNc

If I hadn't readjusted myself midair I would've flown all the way to the first set of stair shaped blocks several tiles to the right. Learn how the god damn game works.

>As for the goomba thing you brought up in a later post? You were already moving in that direction when you hit it the second time, so that doesn't have anything to do with momentum, since there was nothing pushing against you.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I was moving in that direction very slowly while midair, then suddenly built up a bunch of speed without running or touching the ground. I instantaneously gained and shifted my momentum out of thin air.

>> No.3325217 [DELETED] 

>>3324968
>multiple people discussing the video game in the OP.
>thread derailed
boards.4chan.org/v

>> No.3325223

>>3324968
>multiple people discussing the video game in the OP.
>thread derailed
>>>/v/

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action