[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.60 MB, 1024x768, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3292532 No.3292532 [Reply] [Original]

What do you guys think of Chrono Cross?
Was it a worthy sequel to Chrono Trigger?
What were people's reaction to this game back int he day? It feels like such a distant sequel and sadly I somehow missed out on it back then so I'm curious what people though of it.

>> No.3292547

>great 2d game
>3d sequel that can't top the original
Why do devs do this?

Tomba had the same problem.

>> No.3292556

>>3292547

The tech was new and console manufacturers were pushing it as a main selling point, practically(and in some cases literally) forcing developers to switch to 3D even if they didn't want to.

It worked for Mario 64 but most 2D games failed to translate well and live up to their predecessors.

>> No.3292562
File: 1021 KB, 733x1000, best girl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

She's perfect

>> No.3292645

>>3292532
>What do you guys think of Chrono Cross?

Pretty good. More of a challenge than Trigger, which I appreciated.

>Was it a worthy sequel to Chrono Trigger?

Sure. It gets too much hate now for being so different, but I remember when every video game sequel was expected to be different instead of literally the same game with minor improvements like we have now.

>What were people's reaction to this game back int he day?

Back in the day everyone fell over themselves to declare it a masterwork of video games. I like it better than Trigger but I certainly didn't get swept up in that hype; but then again, I DID buy it on release, so maybe I was. It was great but not perfect like the press around it was insinuating. It's been somewhat surprising to see so much revisionist history around this game and reading people saying it was derided and it flopped when neither is true. That's backlash for you, I guess.

>> No.3292648

>>3292562
>dem legs

>> No.3292719

>>3292532
I think it's a good game
just not a good sequel
i mean, the plot is almost non sense (as a sequel to trigger, the story by it self is good)
the game play is great, its harder than trigger.

imho it would have been a better game whit a different name

>> No.3292729

Wish Squeenix declared Cross non-canon instead of doing the Dalton thing in postgame of the DS version

>> No.3293296
File: 66 KB, 300x225, Really nigger.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This thread again

>> No.3293373

Is Chrono Cross worth playing if you haven't played Chrono Trigger?

>> No.3293386

>>3293373
it's a completely different game, worth it just for the pretty graphics and music

>> No.3293429

Not really sure what people wanted; the chief complaint seems to be that Cross "ruined" Trigger by having it not actually do much with the original story, but in my mind, that legitimizes it (not that CT's story and characters really had that much depth anyway, just charm). And the pacing is weird, but the main plot's actually cool once you read through it a couple times, if convoluted.

The battle system is also very rewarding, although its music is god-awful (in contrast to the rest of Mitsuda's amazing soundtrack).

>> No.3293560

>>3292648
There's not enough fanart of those legs

It's a fucking crime

>> No.3294245

It's a perfect sequel exactly because it does not go down the beaten path of safe and boring rehash Triggerniggers love so much.

The question should be whether Trigger is worthy of a sequel of such grandeur.

>> No.3294331

Comfy as fuck. Just keep remote near you to mute battle music after it gets into your head.

>> No.3296173

i bought this on psn a few years back. try it for the first time. i have beaten Chrono Trigger several times and have come to think of it as the most well-made JRPG of all-time. despite this, i came into Chrono Cross with zero expectations.

the first boss is a forced fight where you kill a mother and her pups.

almost every encounter after (in the mine shaft at least) was "kill this mother and her pups."

what the fuck? this isn't what makes people love video games, is it? how can killing animal families make anyone stop and think "wow, this is so much fun. thank you video games! i'm going to talk about this on the internet."

if i remember correctly, the first fight in Chrono Trigger was against some silly imps and ball-shaped steeds.

i stopped playing Chrono Cross after i got to the second town. nothing was unique or interesting enough about it other than i could keep saying "no" to kid and have it actually matter.

fuck this game it's not worth anyone's time.

>> No.3296214

>>3296173
Half of this post is irrelevant because you're wrong - there is no mine shaft where you go around killing mothers and pups, and the other half is almost irrelevant due to the fact that you seem to feel qualified to have an opinion of a game you only barely started.

>> No.3296223

I thought we already had this thread.

I didn't even know Chrono Cross existed until I played CT for the first time through the FF Chronicles collection for PS1. After finishing CT, I read somewhere about Chrono Cross, then I just happened to come across a copy at a local pawn shop.

I personally liked the game, but it isn't without its flaws. The sheer volume of recruitable characters made the entire cast seem secondary, as Serge and Kidd were about the only characters who were permitted any room for development. Character designs - and all the random dialects assigned to characters during the localization process - were pretty ridiculous. Nothing fit with the setting at all. Why are there clowns, cyborgs, Spanish wrestlers, and other assorted oddities running around an island?

But despite its quirks, it was an interesting game. I still replay it on occasion.

>> No.3296238

>>3292547
>3d sequel that can't top the original

But it did top the original and was a much better game than Trigger.

>> No.3296250

>>3296173

The "mine shaft" was a valley and the "kill mom and pups"-type encounter stops as soon as you get past the valley. If you didn't get so pissy about a certain encounter type you would've figured this out.

Then again, you're the type of faggot that gets upset about killing 3D animals that have pups so maybe you shouldn't have continued.

>> No.3296257
File: 22 KB, 1087x542, valley mineshaft whatever.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3296214
look bro you made me go to gamefaqs just to prove me right. the enemies are even called "mama" and "pup". my opinion is not irrelevant. you do not have to play every game to completion in order to form an opinion on it. when you go in for a job interview, you have 15 minutes to make an impression. whether you are reading a book, watching a video, or playing a game, the first portion of whatever media you might be consuming should be enough to suck you in and explain everything you need to know about what it.

instead of saying "you're wrong because you haven't played enough video games" how about you check your facts and then tell me how this is the only rpg you've ever played so you feel justified to back it up despite it having almost no redeeming qualities? this game was appaling and has zero clue about what made the original CT the greatest JRPG of all-time. they thought that being able to move around while talking to somebody was what made CT "revolutionary".

>>3296250
if you don't get upset about killing 3D animals then you probably aren't a very thoughtful 3D person. like, what is your post even trying to prove?

>> No.3296269

I bought this when it came out expecting Chrono Trigger. I beat but thought it was terrible.

For some reason I replayed it on epsxe a year ago. It's just really mediocre. The battle and skill system is boring, the story is dumb, the massive roster of stupid characters is bizarre. The game also drags on forever. I was toggling it to 150% speed and I was still bored out of my mind near the end. The only thing it did well was the graphics.

>> No.3296318
File: 242 KB, 179x275, 1465920634319.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3296238
Good joke

>> No.3296335

>>3296257

I suppose it's fine if you had to put the game down for personal reasons, but I don't think the context of that quest suggests your party consists of heartless bastards. After all, there was the moral ambiguity of there being alternate realities, and the world itself would have been at stake had you not committed these acts in order to advance. Think of it as a necessary evil?

>> No.3296401

>>3296335
could you remind me what the quest was? i just remember your friend wanting some animal parts for a necklace. i don't remember the world being framed as being in peril.

you see, i don't see why they felt that these enemies were what was necessary for the game. if they thought that they mother-pup thing wasn't important, than why would they have the mother enter a rage state when you killed her pups? why choose to have this specific battle interaction over any of the countless situations they could have come up with? and then, when you go through fossil valley, why is the most common enemy that same mother-pup interaction?

it goes beyond moral ambiguity. it appears to me that the developers didn't know how what to do with their game. they were on the right track with enemies being context aware (being enraged when you kill their children) but missed the point when it came to the big picture. why did we choose this specific interaction? will this play some special part in saving the world later on? if it does just let me know now. i would like to hear some insightful analysis about this game but haven't found someone intelligent enough to interest me. would love to hear more of your opinions about this game.

>> No.3296428

>>3296257
>look bro you made me go to gamefaqs just to prove me right

Where's this mine shaft you're bitching about then? I wasn't disputing the fight on the beach if you would kindly re-read what I wrote. And I'm not your bro.

>you do not have to play every game to completion in order to form an opinion on it.

True, but you do actually have to give it a fair chance. Playing a game to 0.5% completion and thinking you can have an opinion on it is equivalent to watching 36 seconds of a 2-hour movie and giving a review based on that.

Your opinion is: "I couldn't get into it." That's it. You don't get to comment on the design, or the plot, or anything of any merit because you've experienced almost none of it.

> how about you check your facts and then tell me how this is the only rpg you've ever played so you feel justified to back it up despite it having almost no redeeming qualities?

My facts were actually correct - your haretriggered brain omitted all the relevant information that shows what mistakes you made and took something out of context like that makes you the big winner. Also, you wouldn't know if the game had any redeeming qualities - you didn't really play it.

>when you go in for a job interview, you have 15 minutes to make an impression.

I feel sad for you that you think job interviews should take 15 minutes.

>> No.3296431

>>3296401

No, it probably wasn't important in the grand scheme of things, but maybe it goes on to establish the rustic-ness of the setting and characters? Arni village didn't seem to have any technological advancements and was fairly isolated from other sections of the island, if all the grass skirts and straw houses were any implication. So it wouldn't be unusual for a more primitive culture to be engaged in hunting, much less to have no moral qualms about killing animals simply for their decorative scales.

FYI, I've been a vegetarian for well over a decade, but fictional settings that recreate hunter-gatherer cultures doesn't really put me off. I also doubt the game's developers had any kind of social agenda with this.

>> No.3296435

Reactions at the time?

>Holy shit this game is GORGEOUS
>Holy shit this music is AMAZING
>Holy shit these characters are TERRIBLE
>Holy shit this plot is PANTS ON HEAD RETARDED

>> No.3296495

>>3296401

So monsters are okay to kill but not wolves or whatever else you deem "cute," just because one's cute and the other isn't? Even if both are trying equally hard to kill you? Either way these have been some of the funniest and most original and genuine troll posts I've read on 4chan in a long time. I mean trolling in its classical sense, too. Hats off, my dude.

>> No.3296538

>>3296495
did i ever say cute? think about why the enemies are in the game. what purpose do they serve? are they generic grunts that were put in to be a funny grind? do they exist to propel the plot forward? why bother making the enemies have familial ties if the game ignores them outside of battle?

>>3296431
this is the only rational poster in this thread. thanks for being a good sport.

>> No.3296559
File: 276 KB, 725x545, img (8).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Nah, fuck this game.

Had no idea it existed. Rented it from Blockbuster probably shortly after it came out because I thought it might be funny if it turned out it was a sequel to CT.

So I fire the shit up, I tolerate all the jRPG tropes for a while, put up with the tutorial, and things just fall flat. More accurately, I just couldn't enjoy anything that was happening. It was confusing.

I was only too glad to get rid of it, so it was returned and the rest is history. As years went by I'd occasionally hear about this shitpile. People on the internet seemed to be always singing its praises.

One day I was listening to a collection of random game music, and heard something I liked. Checked it out--Chrono Cross. Ok, you're on. Picked up the whole OST. Bretty gud.

I suppose I could give it another honest try. Esp considering CT was a turning point in my life. Without it, I would have completely different taste. Maybe for the best, I dunno.

If only you could still rent games. Oh, and I refuse to accept the story as anything other than convoluted.

>> No.3296809

>>3296223
>I thought we already had this thread.

OP here. I don't go to /vr/ everyday so I legitimately didn't know this was a common question. Vinesauce has been streaming it lately maybe that's why it was asked recently.

>> No.3298746

Seeing this thread reminded me of something that's been bothering my mind ever since I played the game all them years ago. Maybe one of you fellas will be able to put it at ease.

So, you know when you're supposed to infiltrate the mansion early in the game, and you've got several ways to do it, yeah? Well, in my first playthrough I went with the faggot swordsman right through the first gate, and had that boss battle that you're obviously supposed to lose. And then I never did that path again on any NG+ run. And I've been wondering ever since what happens if you do that fight and actually win because you're buff enough to do so? Does the plot change somehow? Do you actually walk in right through the gate? Do you still get captured? Something else entirely?

>> No.3299535

I found the game good.

It would have been better if it was a standalone game rather than a sequel though, since it made no sense how it could relate to Chrono Trigger, that it should have been called something else entirely rather than have a title implying it's truly a continuation.

I feel like they kept the name "Chrono" to bait those who played Trigger. "Cross" is understandable, where crossing another dimension makes sense, but Chrono--the time related aspect--is less the theme.

>> No.3299808

I wish the one shitty song in the soundtrack wasn't the one you hear the fucking most.

>> No.3300167

Best Chrono game by FAR.

>> No.3300169

I enjoyed it, but the biggest thing I didn't like was how slow and boring the battles were.