[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 54 KB, 466x357, history1999_5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3262254 No.3262254 [Reply] [Original]

If you did not experience Ultima Online between the launch in late '97 until the birth of Trammel in 2000, then you missed out.

>truly no other MMORPGs available until like 1999 when Asheron's Call and Everquest came out
think about it - that means if you wanted an MMORPG experience, you pretty much had to play UO
>full loot PvP, and thieves that could actually steal things out of your pack
>player housing that could be looted entirely
I had a month's worth of gathering and hording looted in front of my eyes while I was dead.
Not long after...we did the looting.
>stepping out of town was extremely dangerous
>even in town you could be a victim of theft, deceit, or clever PKs
>thousands of people fighting for territory, monster loot, and just survival
>PvP wasn't just for fun, but a necessity to protect yourself, your friends, and your house
>there has not been true griefing in a video since then
it was without a doubt the most brutal MMO online experience that ever was.

But it was short lived. The developers realized that mindless PKing and griefing was actually hurting their player base, and they ended it with Trammel. RIP the golden age of online gaming.

>> No.3262262 [DELETED] 

>>3262254
So it was a nigger simulator, huh?

I'll just play GTA if I want to kill people and steal their shit, thanks.

>> No.3262286

>>3262262
I don't think it was intended to be a nigger simulator....but anonymous human nature prevailed. Kinda like this website, huh? lol

>> No.3262908

>>3262254
the things you say weren't the things that made it great, but yeah... nothing comes close to it. I'm sure there were some more balanced communities out there than the one you describe, I used to play in a more balanced one (not official). Didn't play much though, any game that forces you to play non-stop is a no-no. I had friends that dropped out of uni for playing shit like that, even it was their fault and not the games, the premise remains: games that force you to play non-stop and forever to not stay behind eventually become shitholes.

>> No.3262962

it took an expert to actually steal anything expensive from your pack. and we all trapped our bags and walked away from anyone standing close. also you revealed before entering house if you think someone is hiding to walk in your door.

people that talk about these points a lot are either underage and didn't play or perhaps was just really bad players and got tricked and pked a lot.

great game tho, it's how mmorpgs should still play today.

>> No.3263270 [DELETED] 

>>3262908
You're retarded.
This game doesn't force you to keep up with ANYTHING.

You get 700.0 skill points that you can max out in a week of grinding and after those are maxed you can log out for 10 years and still be just as strong as anyone else when you come back.

If you've never played the official game before, just keep your mouth quiet

>> No.3263302

>>3262908
Strange, since everyone was using macros.

>> No.3263351

If the full loot PvP and stealing were so great why did UO die as soon as Trammel and other MMOs came out?

>> No.3263358

>>3263351
Because the majority of people cannot handle losing

>> No.3263648

>>3263351
>why did UO die

UO never died, and pvp and stealing still lived on in felluca, just at a vastly smaller rate.

Go to UO.COM, and see that the official game is still alive 20 years later.
Which is insane for a MMORPG

>> No.3263667

>>3262254
The only person I've known that played UO was my only friend in junior high school. He was a total stoner who was obsessed with Eminem and some other shitty Puerto Rican rapper.

His name in game was like "super bongman" or "super bongio". He was also in some special ed classes because he had anger and ADHD issues.

>> No.3263684

>>3263667
stay blunted you fucking faggot

>> No.3263692

>>3263684
What's your problem, retard?

>> No.3263712

>>3263692
Stoners are usually pretty aggressive despite the bullshit myth that they are 'chill'.

Just ignore him, he's looking for an e-fight.

>> No.3264985
File: 39 KB, 580x532, Consequences_933011_793551.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3263302
>Strange, since everyone was using macros.
which is another consequence of games that force you to play for ever and the more the better... players resort to bots or shit like that.

>> No.3265854

>>3264985

You have no idea what you're talking about.
please leave this thread you retarded faggot

>> No.3265887

>>3262254
I just played MUDs. The people were way more chill. I eventually got into EQ, but found myself going back to my favorite MUDs over and over because of the stupid party/camping dynamic.

>> No.3267235

I haven't played UO in a long time. Any recommendations for a private shard?

>> No.3267381

>>3267235
None

>> No.3267426

>>3262908
You don't "stay behind" in a game without levels. Don't confuse UO for the EQ clone genre.

I was on Sonoma from early '98 to uhh... 2002 or so? Joined a thief guild based in Minoc and eventually branched out to start my own with some online friends. I also had a GM mage anti-PK and the fabled dragon-controlling animal tamer towards the end.
I miss logging into a game and not knowing what I was going to do or what was going to happen to me that day.
I was fucked over so many times by so many people and game mechanics that I eventually just accepted the fact that anything I had was probably going to be gone the next month.

Kal Ort Por

>> No.3267523

Are you aware that people still play the game

>> No.3267543

>>3262254
Even the population of private servers almost put me in tears when trying to find a place to build a house that's not 7x7 hobo lot. How the fuck did you OG's do it back then in packed shards?

>> No.3267550

>>3267543
Sniping, fighting and PKing.

It was also harder to make a lot of money back then while UO shards like to hand out money like candy.

>> No.3267557
File: 260 KB, 1292x754, uo6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3267550
Here's me in 2010 on Hybrid (ditched it for UOForever since a year ago) where I logged in stealthed and there was a fucking war going on right behind me and I was scared for my life. I think I got caught and lost my house altogether. I would imagine an official shard would have 5-10x the amount shown here. Which is bullshit because you have a 0.01% chance of winning that lot.

>> No.3267605

I remember when mages were god classes and could stack multiple spells. Stack a few spells, cast, throw on a halberd and smack the guy once and it was basically instant-death.

I definitely cut my MMO teeth on this game. Picked it up when The Second Age came out. I remember being super panicked one night because I took the sewers in Britain to the Lost Lands. I died and couldn't find my way back, and I kept feeling that I would never be able to get back, and would be destined to roam the Lost Lands as a ghost forever. Eventually someone found me and lead me to one of the cities where the town healer resurrected me. That's when I discovered the Ostards and wanted to make my character an animal tamer to get an awesome frenzied one.

I didn't mind Trammel so much, but i feel like they should have just had specific shards be PvP, and others be Trammel-esq.

I also fucking LOVE how they wove the story into the different shards with the Gem of Immortality, giving an actual REASON for different servers with virtually identical worlds.

>> No.3267653

>>3267557
>girl character
>girl name
>decorated log cabin
>hiding from combat

think we have a real life grill here boys
show me your boobies pls

>> No.3267662

>tfw started playing on a ps after the last thread.
I had to experience it and i know i probably will never get that feel but im loving it.

>> No.3267668

>>3267235
i honestly never played UO in my life till now. If you wanna try a server with life i would say forever since it has tons of active players

>> No.3267708

>>3267523
UO probably still has the best non-combat stuff of any MMO.
When I went back to it something like six years ago I was amazed at some of the stuff they added like the masonry and botony. The crafting orders were really cool, too.
Still, I couldn't help but feel a void at people often ignoring each other out in the world like every other modern MMORPG these days.

>> No.3267718

>>3267708
>Still, I couldn't help but feel a void at people often ignoring each other

It wasn't like that in the old days on official servers. There was some sense of community. people would at least acknowledge you before they told you to fuck off.

Everyone on private servers is just straight faggoty and will recall out if you try to talk to them.

I reckon its because all thats left of the UO community are the mentally ill people that never grew up and matured and moved on with their life.

>> No.3267751
File: 115 KB, 450x571, fixed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3267653
BUT I'M A GUY

currently on UOF

>> No.3267773

>>3267751
>treehack

yucky

>> No.3267785

Why is there no proper Fellucca remake of this yet?

I don't understand why no private server has just made it UO from like 1998 and just left it alone.

>> No.3267810

>>3267785
there has been servers like that.
the problem is not enough players want just vanilla UO.

Most players that play private servers are foreign/young fags that never played official UO because $$$/age of birth/location.

so they have no connection to playing a hardmode, with no neon colors, uo.

thats my opinion anyway

>> No.3267884

>>3267810
isnt forever felluca style?

>> No.3267904

>>3267884
yeah, but that doesn't make it vanilla UO.
they use modern AOS housing.
some modern art.
custom crafting.
added colors/items
portals and shit everywhere
faster skill gain
donation vet rewards
modified cities (like brit bank)
countless other shit

it's not the same at all really.
pvp/pvm is probably very much the same at least.

>> No.3267936

>>3262254
You could just play the free servers now and get the same feel as we did back then. UOF has the same shit but with loads of free shard shit that does make it feel cheap. Also it makes me laugh that its got a Aussie PK ring vs American Blues subculture going on, with a few Euros dotted about.

>> No.3267937

>the MMO experience

Great, you missed out on fucking nothing. Every single MMO is mind-numbingly boring.

My first real encounter with online RPGs was through Diablo II Battle.net and I'm infinitely glad for it, spent several fond years on its community. I tried mmos later and barely endured more than a week.

>> No.3267940

>>3263712
>that one skitzo that smokes weed
THEY ARE ALL AGGRESSIVE. THE WEED MADE HIM LIKE THAT.

You should go outside more.

>> No.3267943

>>3267235
UOF has loads of players (mostly cunts) and is a hybird server as it was based on the second expanion pack then added its own content some of its okay most of its trash. But you can ignore it. Full of PKS using macros so youll need a guild to hang with after you lose your young status and get engage in pvp.

Second age is a clone of the first expansion era with a reasonable pop at certain times of day. I didnt play much since im in EU and mostly just americans online.

Think thats your only options right now.

>> No.3268338

>>3267937
UO is different, my brother who played it confirms all OP said and added more, he says it was beautiful

>> No.3268360

>>3267940
>everyone smokes weed so im not an edgy teen argument

Everyone who is a stoner is a massive manchild so its natural they'd be aggressive.

>> No.3268420

Oh boy oldschool UO was the best.

>started playing on a private Felucca shard
>played a miner/crafter first
>get killed
>all my stuff stolen
>wtf is this game
>over the next days/weeks learn more and more
>made a mage character because I wanted to wreck sweet revenge
>slowly increase my skills and start learning the ropes
>the server had basically one real red guild and like 3 or 4 blue ones
>do some pvp here and there but only against reds
>actually become friends with one of them
>decide to turn red myself
>harass players in Magincia because thats where most playes gathered
>they wait in town, wanting to go out, run into them with earthquake - good times
>amass quite the murder count
>one day the reds notice me
>we fight a bit and then have a talk
>they decide I should join them
>become member of the strongest guild on the server
>war on with blue all day every day
>from total noob to PK

that community.. damn it was really nice

>> No.3268448

>>3268420
some more

>the server grew
>some new kids in town, maka blue guild to "fight against the reds"
>I think they were even called Death to Reds or so
>At first they try to gank us with like 2-3 players but they quickly notice that they need more
>so they single us out and gank us with 5-6 players
>do they not know who they are messing with?
>Gather the troops, do some reconnaissance, find they guild headquater
>Oh boy here we go
>PK them hard, flair their corpes, res-kill them, gather their heads and place them all over our town
>they stop ganking us and it's mostly 1 vs 1 or 2 from the on
>We remained the most feared guild on the server till it closed

I still lost most of the time in a 1on1 against our leader.. UO really was a skill game, items or ingame skill barely mattered because everyone had basically the same

>> No.3268520

>>3268360
attractive female stoner=manchild

Ever people watch? Know how you can look at a random stranger and be like- that person has their shit figured out, or see a post on 4chan and be like- that anon seriously has no fucking clue...

>> No.3268616

>>3268520
Women can't be manchildren you retard. Women have their shit together and are smarter then men. So you're 100% utterly wrong, fucking RETARD.

>> No.3268693

>>3268616
Good one!

>> No.3268714

Is any lad playing on uof? We dhould make a guild.

>> No.3268816

>>3267550
Making money was easy if you knew how to game the vendors.

I used to make a few runs each day after they reset buying and selling logs (or planks... dont remember exactly).

>> No.3268831

>>3268448
> everyone had the same

This is why old uo was the best.
No need to spend 50 hours a week to camp a spawn trying to get a rare weapon drop.

Every battle axe was the same.

Die, lose all your shit?
No worries, grab your backup gear from the vendor buy bank guards and continue adventuring.

They really ruined shit when they added special effects to weapons.

>> No.3268839

>>3262254
The shitty think about such games is that there is no recourse or penalty for the loser who just steals as a way of life.

In a FPS you don't have to spend eons of time for your weapons to get improved enough to hurt a pro player. (In most versions anyway.)

Even in the ancient game of Chess a pawn can still kill any greater piece on the board (with clever maneuvering.)

Not so in mmo's. Game mechanics will have to get vastly better along with processing power to make that happen.

Still it is a major turn off when you can't compete with the arch loser just because he does nothing but play all day.

Where is the competition? Where is the keep your guard up at all times and check your ego at the door?

I don't like losers getting a cake walk while newbs get the gauntlet, just because the losers do nothing but play games all day.

>> No.3268849

>>3268831
Exactly!
Thats what I loved about it. While there were some minor difference in additional skill (like picking poisoning, hiding, stealth, alchemy or whatever) your main skills were basically the same.
And yea, Items really did not better, aside from maybe a little bit for warrior when using higher material weapons or armor. But there was always the risk of dying and getting that stuff stolen. So those were usually reserved for tournaments or so.

I used to always run around in a jester outfit and my bank had "ready-to-go" bags with the standard stuff to get right back into action.

While UO was quite hard for a beginner, in a sense it was also very fair because skill was essentially based on your skill of playing (like in competetive CS or Quake)

>> No.3268853

>>3268839
Not getting stolen from a thief was easy as fuck.
Step 1: quit being a lazy faggot
Step 2: put your stuff in multipl bags, stacked, and use magic trap to know when they are snooping

if you were putting expensive stuff in your bank at like britain bank and shit, you deserved to get stolen from.

there is like 20 banks in the game

>> No.3268860
File: 14 KB, 320x200, Ultima%206%20-%20The%20False%20Prophet_10[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The funny thing is that, if you peek at what people like, UO did everything wrong
> Add non-pvp stuff that typical carebears enjoy like housing, decoration, 'tailoring'
> Add pvp

Have a look at the online experience. Either you play in a safe server (WoW) or you cut the shit and just fight (LoL). UO is trully unique, and there wont be anything close to it because it would require to get closer two different ways of playing: the one in which you just care on killing and don't mind if you die, and the one in which you spend a lot of time doing x thing and to die could hurt you a lot. It became to exist because of Lord British' failed experiment to allow the rpg experience online. Even people that miss old UO just miss the pvp, doesn't care for the rpg element.

>> No.3268878

>>3268839
But you didnt have to play all day in original UO to be able to compete and have fun.

Everyone had the same gear, there was no high end shit that only dropped 0.001 percent of the time from a boss that spawned every hour.

You could "level up" to "max level" by yourself. And get good without investing tons of time.

>> No.3268885

>>3268849
They were just adding a slight bonus to weapons /armor when crafted by a grandmaster craftsman when I quit. They didnt have different materials yet.

>> No.3268886

>ywn assassinate Lord British in front of the entire server
Why even live?

>> No.3268906

>>3268860
Naw man.

I dont miss uo because of pvp. I hated pvp.

I miss it because it was a blank slate and open world where anything can happen.

Today if you want pvp you play on a pvp server so you expect to get pkd and shit. Back in og uo, you never knew what was going to happen and that was half the fun.
Be solo adventuring, see a dude in the distance. Make a choice; continue adventuring, talk to him, run like hell. What is the right choice? You never knew. I met a few cool people just by striking up a conversation when meeting in the middle of nowhere. I also got ganked more than a few times.

That was the best part. Never knowing what would happen because everything wasnt segregated and classified.

>> No.3269519
File: 1.00 MB, 1024x3000, balls hard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3262254

I wanted to play this so bad when I was in grade 8. I would spend hours poring over the monster guide and jobs system - I wanted to be a fisherman and a tailor so bad. But I was a poorfag, no computer at home, and mom didn't have a credit card.

>> No.3269523
File: 434 KB, 1872x2808, the-designers-republic-versus-idea-magazine-special-edition_7728310654_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3269519
>Wipeout XL
>soundtrack cover art
Everytime.

Fact: the soundtrack CD didn't quite have the same tracklisting as the game itself

>> No.3269825

>>3262254
It truly was the golden age of online gaming. Fun could be had even after the advent of Trammel. I had a character I named House Placer and I sold runes which I told people were marked at locations suitable for each of the various sizes of house. I sold these runes for roughly the same price as the house deeds cost, because land was at such a premium. Not a single rune I sold was legitimate, but all of them were at least marked in territory where houses could be placed. I eventually slipped up and sold a rune to some guy and I had told him a two-story house would fit there and it was marked near the main Brit bank. So that guy reported me, I got jailed for 72 hours, and he got his gold back. I stopped scamming after that but I never wanted for money again, I was up at least 30M gold by that point.

>> No.3269828

>>3269825
>I was up at least 30M gold by that point.

no you weren't. no need to lie man.
you're anonymous.

>> No.3269832

>>3269828
Okay, whatever. Gold was easy for everybody to come by at that point. People just sat on their mounts around the bank trading "rare" items.

>> No.3269870

>truly no other MMORPGs available until like 1999
>What was Meridian 59

FUNFACT: Even fucking Furcadia pre-dates UO.

>> No.3269918

>>3269870
He said Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, not underwhelmingly small number of players rpg

>> No.3271581

>>3262254
>truly no other MMORPGs available until like 1999 when Asheron's Call and Everquest came out
Forgetting about Meridian 59, are we?
>in before 'Meridian 59 was just a graphical MUD'

>> No.3271590

>>3271581
yeah man meridian 59 was so massive, I remember playing with a whopping 10 people at a time!

>> No.3271657

Who /UOF/ here?

>> No.3271667

>>3267718
Preaching to the choir, anon.
This was my other post >>3267426
I haven't actually played any private shards- I thought about Angel Island like a decade ago but never did try it.

>> No.3272973

>>3271657
are you playing there with
-taming 140,
-instant re-equiper butler and others pay-to-win bulshit?

between metapets, metapet control wand?

only 140tame is not pay to win, but its so unachievable that its pretty much to sell donation coins for players too buy skill scrolls

im gonna play uo again next summer, but im thingking UO an corp, maybe UO lost lands

>> No.3273302

>>3272973
an corp is over kek
im not paying for shit, i wouldnt be playing a free shard if i had the money to waste. my character is nt even a tamer suck my cock

>> No.3273513

>>3273302
>an corp is over kek
http://forum.uoancorp.com/threads/an-corp-to-officially-shutdown-4-30-2016.12354/#post-70657

dang, the pessimists were right

the uoac leaders said it wouldnt be IPY4, as in, be another short lived shard, but um not gonna even waste my time reading about it if those faggots ever try again.

>>3273302
>im not paying for shit, i
uh sorry, i meant playing there, with such ridiculous things on the shard. but i guess one can still try to ignore the pay to win bits and take advantage of the most populous uo freshard for their enjoyment.
> i wouldnt be playing a free shard if i had the money
b-b-but is OSI even worthy still?
ive seen several unitedstadians from UOF state more than once that they still have their osi accounts but just play uof, and only things on osi are just stale or idk... did i misread that its simply not as great as in golden eras, but still insanely populated ?
anyway, check this out, this concept has been discussed over and over, but only really that uo zombies shard tried a smaller map, but these guys actually made a NEW MAP!

http://relporuo.com/

might be refreshing playing it without that void feeling of walking the path where once you walked amongst dozens of players, and now just knowing everything.

>> No.3273539

>>3262254
I will always remember my bizarre roleplaying adventures. Not even real life junior high students playing a game but like hardcore immersive roleplaying.

Played this big hammer wielding son of a bitch who loved drinking and fighting hand to hand and had a cool time with my and RL friends doing some dank dungeon crawling and killing PK's. They got bored after we created our three bedroom pad, which we decked out with various things.

Still best player housing EVER IMO.

Being a bow crafter fletcher on a madness quest after losing my parents and becoming Dread Lord Bowcraft.

That time I just bought a ship and went around looking for boats to "plunder".

I lived, loved and died as a mad scientist who loved injesting poisons and fucking with NPC's. Eventually had my first cyber sex with some girl and she invited me into her clan.

We had fun going about picking herbs.

Eventually some guy got jealous and wanted me to practice duel with him but he just ended up murdering me and taking all my stuff and it was at that point that I saw they weren't true friends, just roleplaying assholes who liked long conning some poor shmuck.

I guess the lines blurred between RP and making RL friends which I thought I made but nobody ever messaged me again.

Sorry to make the depressing story the final but it was pretty moving to me at the time and I always cherish losing my cyber virginity and having that little tiny romance. Being a doctor and healing was cool too, that you were noted AS A DOCTOR by people in a RP sense was so cool I would go around healing.

I tried my hand at pacifism and so thats why I was murdered because my skills were all terrible at combat. I thought we were just playing and he was my friend then he betrayed me.

I didn't want to track him down and ask why I just died in game and decided that was enough.

>> No.3273543

>>3273539
people hate/hated roleplayers in UO for some reason.
not sure why.

roleplayers are generally very cunning and witty, perhaps they are jelly.

>> No.3273546
File: 7 KB, 640x480, Aberoth1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Try the webgame Aberoth, it's similar ethic, pvp anywhere, item drop, and some innovations, for instance you can stack piles of items on the floor and use them to block doorways or climb on buildings

>> No.3273635

>>3273546
one of the best parts of UO is that is has amazing sprite art, and soundtrack.

that screenshot doesn't look very nice to look at for long periods.

>> No.3273768

The great thing about UO is the freedom it gives you. Want to be a fighter, mage, fisherman, crafter, treasure hunter, thief, or a mix of it all, well go right ahead.

Heck, make a beggar char.
>Begging for that delicious compassion money
>Snooping for looking into peoples backpacks
>Stealing for some free cash (beware the guards!)
>Animal Taming to get some rat bros
>Camping cause you have no home
>Taste Identification for eating healthy trash
>Cooking for tasty rat stew

For those who never played UO, all these skills are in the game, so yes, you could play a hobo.

>> No.3274402

>>3273768
I kinda did that.

My main rp char was an undead bard type. Wore nothing but starter robe and instruments. When I died id follow people around

>> No.3274478
File: 83 KB, 560x419, hello neighbour.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3262254

>> No.3275651

How's UO today? i never heard anyone complaining here or at /v/ about the actual state of the game, but also NO ONE talks about it

>> No.3275661

>>3275651
the playerbase is too fractured

>> No.3277212

>>3273546
tha looks like shit.

>> No.3277219

>>3273513
>http://relporuo.com/
are you gonna play this one? never tried it. Im playing UOF cause im literally new at UO in general.

>> No.3277225

>>3277219
>im literally new at UO in general.
kill youreself m8

>> No.3277286

>>3262254
>between the launch in late '97 until the birth of Trammel in 2000
I think I played a few years starting in 2000 but it was a small private server with custom "code" and stuff so no Trammel. The small population kind of added to the experience since we all knew each other like in an small town: who were the good guys, the bad guys, the faggots, etc.

One of the best MMORPG in my opinion, only surpassed by maybe SWG, but I don't think we will be able to relive something like that ever again.

>> No.3277957

>>3275651

We've all moved on to Shroud of the Avatar.

PaxLair has re-established in Shroud and many other UO guilds are also waiting for the final data wipe in July.

>> No.3277970

>>3277957
Hi Lord British

>> No.3277972

>>3267937
You have no idea what you're talking about nigger.

>> No.3278001

>>3277219
>>http://relporuo.com/
>are you gonna play this one?

errr, i would like to think that i will, probably, at some point, hopefully in the future near enough that the shard hasn't disappeared hehe

i have a modest UOF account with 1 year inactive, but if i eventually get back to UO i might as well start fresh and try this RelPor

>>3277225
huh?

>> No.3278464

>>3277957
>>3277970
Lol,

I was so hopeful for SotA when it was announced.

Too bad they fucked it up.

>> No.3278493
File: 294 KB, 1200x750, BetaScrB08[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3278464
It is funny how everytime someone (included LB) has tried to replicate UO failed at the end. Consider Darkfall and Mortal Online

>> No.3278563

>>3278493
They fail because they (or their funders) are unwilling to release a vanilla uo game today.

They refuse to believe it will do well.

Same reason why Blizzard wont do vanilla wow servers and Doom 4 was so modernized.

>> No.3278632
File: 20 KB, 390x469, 1316211079667.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3273539
>Eventually had my first cyber sex with some girl
i have news for you, anon.

>> No.3279190

>>3265854
oh yeah I do... exploting the macros system to powerlevel... you another of those faggots that left something over a key while masturbating to level up quicker?

>> No.3279351
File: 2.47 MB, 2880x1920, 1451851162107-min.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3279565

>>3279190
yes thats one bizarre shit on UO,

ive only known it since 2000, so i dont know how it was from 97 to 2000 on origin servers,

but in freeshards at least you would spend few days macroing with programs*1, while you used the computer for other things, and you would left it running at night and shut it down in the morning when leaving for school, and finally you would play for a weekend with that moderate char to get some cash and then another week of macro for magery, and finally you had a char,

on osi i heard that by that time you had some points to 100% magery and a lot yet to 100% resist spells, so the equivalent on osi gave you a starter char but still not on par with everyone else playing

so in the end, everyone played warshards but with an obligatory few days of chores, save for a weekend accumulating cash in small portions it wasnt time consuming but annoying, and most of all bizarre, not doing it was simply not an option, the experience would have been utter boring.

bottom line is it was a design defect.

1* ever since that time they had pretty advanced shit already, no need for a weight on the keyboard key.
... but once you were 100%, they what other anons said do apply for the most part, but i'll concede that i too hold a repressed passion for MMORPGs as a romantic concept, but the genre never stood a chance, perhaps when we have sci-fi shit like Inception drugs and matrix servers, we can have really deep and long MMO experiences but still get back to our lives after our 30min after lunch nap that was a whole week playong Richard Garriot's Alpha Centauri on facegooglezon braimplants (duly modded to remove the election rigging modules and the unskipable direct sensory advertising relays)

>> No.3279654

>>3279565

at some point around 2001-2004 freeshards then began trying different ways of stopping unattended macroing for different sets of skills, so as to make ppl enjoy the game thru all steps, but what it mostly accomplished was ppl macroing while doing other stuff and dual screens or small windows to answer the popup challenges, staff probing and what not.

its easy to go thru all steps when its single player ultima, and the game is balanced so that you more or less evolve as you need to, im sure richart thought people would enjoy going thru all of it when he tested the game behind closed doors.

he just miscalculated human nature with griefing, and the fact that after you have finished an RPG with a few kinds of chars, you had enough of it,

which makes me wonder WHY THE FUCK was UO so many times longer to get anywhere only by manually playing it than any single player, and you would and up re-doing it many times with the vast combinations in UO.