[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 6 KB, 320x224, M.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3257416 No.3257416 [Reply] [Original]

>hardcoregaming101
>pulseman
>With many lesser Genesis titles unable to make more than grating screeches and farting blorps with the FM synth chip

Which one of you fags wrote this?

>> No.3257427
File: 1.17 MB, 959x960, goldface-wario.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wario's favorite console is the Genesis.

>> No.3257435

>>3257416

A lot of genesis games have terrible music. This is a fact. The GEMS engine is garbage. A lot of Genesis games have great music.

>> No.3257438

well shit, it's real

>> No.3257472
File: 39 KB, 254x337, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>HG101 thread
Here come the SJWs.

>> No.3257476

>>3257416
Nothing dishonest about this statement. Allot of lazy ports have very crappy music

>> No.3257486
File: 11 KB, 140x140, B.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257472
The Pulseman article is actually okay. Must've been before that shit started.

>Beatrice
>A pure C-Life teen girl that was member the Galaxy Gang - whether of her own volition or not - until Pulseman came into her life. She left the gang to assist our hero at the cost of losing access to EUREKA. Though she's stuck in the virtual world, she helps out through Pulseman's communicator with relaying info on the next stage and warning of an incoming boss. She is very concerned about Pulseman and might be something of a girlfriend to him.

If it was written nowadays:

>Beatrice
>A pure C-Life young adult female that was once a member the Galaxy Gang - obviously having been forcibly recruited to be exploited for nefarious, male purposes - until she met Pulseman and came to the strong, independent conclusion to escape. She left the gang to greatly benefit the male protagonist, who would obviously be lost be without amazing assistance, at the cost of losing access to EUREKA. Though she's cannot leave virtual world due to the sinister machinations of the evil male Galaxy Gang, she entirely makes it possible for Pulseman's to succeed by relaying info on the next stage and warning of an incoming boss. She is very angelically concerned about Pulseman through the amazing generosity of her heart. Is is implied she may be his girlfriend, in a classic case of Japan's msygonistic ideal of a helpless female always requiring a male's help. It is truly unfortunate she is not the playable main character, as she so rightly deserves to be.

>> No.3257489
File: 142 KB, 900x900, reeeeee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257486
>If it was written nowadays:

DELETE THIS

DONT GIVE IDEAS

KTHXBAI

>> No.3257495 [DELETED] 

>>3257489
Don't worry, shitty mods will delete it anyway. FaggotSevendicks will probably report it like the little bitch he is.

>> No.3257525

>>3257435
>The GEMS engine is garbage

Some of the best sounding Genesis games used GEMS. The engine itself is fine; it's only the default instrument preset which sucked.

>> No.3257547

>>3257472
>>3257486
What? I don't remember HG101 being like that.
It's been a while since I've been there but it can't be that ba--
>Shōjo Kakumei Utena
>The game tears dating sims out from their root, showing how destructive and harmful they can be if left unchecked.
>
>the game caters to its audience's wishes, even as it castigates them. For a game that critiques traditional ideas of romance, "Story of the Someday Revolution" is surprisingly willing to let you see the cast naked.
>In fact, you can see almost every major character in a state of undress at one point or another. A strange thing to do, considering how much the game denounces the kind of objectification that fan service like this entails. It's not even like these scenes serve any greater narrative purpose. They exist only to let the player see their favorite characters naked.
>The game is trying to have its cake, and eat it, too. And on that subject, the unlockable answering machine messages (along with Utena singing the show's theme song) also arouse suspicion.
Jesus. I'm sorry I doubted you, /vr/.

>> No.3257553

>>3257416
>Which one of you fags wrote this?

You did, shill.

>> No.3257559

>>3257547
tl;dr
>a dating sim has fanservice

This website is fucking insane.

>> No.3257581

>>3257559
The forums are even worse. But yeah, it's not even about games anymore, it's all about finding social issues within the games and complaining (or jerking off to them, if it's a walking sim indie game).

>> No.3257583

>>3257581
Forums are a worse shithole than neogaf, trannies and furryfag threads everywhere

>> No.3257586

>>3257583
Oh and before I forget, they forced an Anita Sarkeesian avatar to everyone who dared to show some skepticism to the whole feminism in games thing

>> No.3257597

>>3257583
Eh, it's the oppressed bisexual psychopath that is the worst. Unfortunately he's in tight with the management since he's a massive tool, so expect more articles like that Utena one. Also he put a trigger warning in a recent article because the game has suicide in it, the fuck...

>> No.3257629
File: 555 KB, 1694x2415, KC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257547
I don't like that, but I can tolerate it. I can accept that stuff, I mean what with feminism basically being a marketing tool these days morons will buy into that shit and overcompensate to feel like their helping the cause, especially when it comes to something like video-games or STEM where females were never involved because they didn't give a shit about either until they became lucrative.

What is driving me away from the site (yes I still read the site, not every article is garbage) is the ego-wankery of certain articles (pic related_. Read the Megaman article or the Mother/Earthbound articles and tell me those aren't written by total fanboys that downplay any criticism towards the games. Especially egregious was that recent article about some game where you're a teenager girl with a sword that fights demons or something. It was obviously just a very difficult game, so the author prattles on about how it has an atmosphere of fear and fragility of life or some shit. Oh and the environments were like, basic non-city scapes so obviously it gave an aura of feeling alien in a new world or some bullshit. How about you fucking focus on the game faggot?

Give me a game and I'll write a HG101 style shitfest based on.

>> No.3257639
File: 211 KB, 718x1079, 1464554426962.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257629
Haha wrong pic. Kek, they'd probably hate that.

>> No.3257641

>>3257629
Recently there was an indie game that HG101 reviewed, Read Only Memories, which is a homeless man's version of Snathcer. I totally lost interest with the game at the middle of it because the plot got totally uninteresting and direction-less and the puzzles/difficulty are for children. Also the game plasters you with forced diversity and non-binary sexuality, even though every review tells you that it doesn't forces you that down your throat (it does, that tells you how deep in the far end these people are). Well, the HG101 guy reviewing the game found NO FAULT whatsoever in this game, not a single complain, not even the pickiest one, even though it's very clear that the game has its fair share of faults. But because the game is very SJW-ist and it's indie, no fault is to be found, perfect game, 11/10. And they pretend to be serious reviewers, gimme a break.

Wouldn't be surprised if the reviewer personally knows the developers.

>> No.3257651
File: 39 KB, 238x257, convoluted narrative.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257629
>Give me a game and I'll write a HG101 style shitfest based on.

Challenge accepted. Final Fantasy VI.

>> No.3257652

>>3257629
>that recent article about some game where you're a teenager girl with a sword that fights demons
Ah yeah, that one sounded like it was written by someone who likes to hear themselves talk.

>> No.3257654

>>3257629
YU-NO

>> No.3257656
File: 114 KB, 960x540, rance-eroge-alicesoft-remake-september-2013-seventhstyle-001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257629
There's still no article on the Rance series.

>> No.3257658
File: 495 KB, 1082x514, Rom.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257641
Oh yeah I think I remember that one. I remember reading that line about basic new-age tumblr faggotry and how it wasn't a big aspect of the game, then looking to the screenshot on the right and seeing that was obviously bullshit.

I'll give them credit for having the protestor making a valid point, though I'm inclined to believe he probably starts straw-manning two seconds later (the quote being cherrypicked for the article to downplay the faggotry).

I'm always prepared to wade through this shit when it comes to an article for an indie game. Also have you noticed how all the really faggy games with this bullshit are always more text-based than gameplay? Read Only Memory, Digital/Analog, Depression Quest. Undertale had this garbage but at least it had an actual game in their amongst the shit, that integrate some ideas/jokes in the gameplay.

>> No.3257664

>>3257629
Gimmick!

>> No.3257671

>>3257656
Well duh.

>> No.3257673

>>3257651
It's been awhile... They already have one, and I remember it being convolted, author was an autistic fan instead of SJW fan though.

FINAL FANTASY VI 1994
Developer: Square
Genre: rpg
player character female
mature themes
depression

Final Fantasy VI was Square's sixth entry into the final fantasy series, and the final on SNES. It begins heroically with you controlling a female by the name of Terra, a strong independent women, as she attacks a peaceful mountain town sing a robotic suit of armour, searching for an Esper, a powerful magic being from times long ago. This sequence while allowing you to control Terra is also quite confronting as you are eventually defeated by the Esper in a frightening display of female powerlessness. You come to realise that Terra herself is a powerful Esper destined to cleanse the world of the evil male emperor and his insane male jester Kefka. Along the way you meet and make friends with other characters, including a prince, a machismo driven fighter, a ninja, a samurai who follows outdated Confucian codes, a wild boy, a gambler and probably most importantly, the female General Celes, who also realises the error of her evil ways and joins the party to stop the emperor. There's a bit of a twist in the middle so only continue reading if you don't really care.

Halfway through the game the evil male emperor successfully raises a floating continent and sends the world into chaos. This changes the entire map and splits the party up. When the player is given control again, they now only control Celes, who was injured in the destruction and is now being taken care of by a sad old man on the edge of island. Warning ahead, only read if you don't mind dark themes. Unfortunately the old man dies and Celes attempts suicide in a disturbing display of Japan's male-centric ideal of society. Luckily she survives. Yadda yadda team beats bad guy the end.

There we go, female spotlight, mental health focus, no discussion of actual gameplay.

>> No.3257682

>>3257472
I only go there to compare screenshots to decide what version of a game I should play.

>> No.3257683

>>3257654
Haven't played it sorry.

>>3257664
Gimmick! 1992
Developer: Sunsoft
Genre: platformer
Tags: gender indeterminate
female kidnapping
extreme difficulty

Gimmick! was a late entry into the library of the NES by Sunsoft. It tells the story of a toy given to a young girl on her birthday. Fearing they will lose the important love of their owner, her other toys kidnap her, in a unique twist on the classic msygonistic game plot. The brave hero, known only as Gimmick, decided to follow them and save his (or more likely her) new owner.

Yadda yadda can't bitch about this one much because they can only really complain about plot, not gameplay.

>> No.3257703

>>3257656
I would find it but I can't get on the forums anymore - I mentioned interest in one and derboo said something to the effect of "it would have to clearly denounce rape and any of the many other problematic issues in those pieces of trash." So yeah.

>>3257641
That's by jdickside; anything he writes is going to be about lesbian walking simulators or other "art games," and he's going to fellate them. He also has a letter of marque to harass anyone on the forums without recourse.

>>3257654
The YU-NO article was actually alright, wildweasel is an ok guy.

>>3257586
I headed them off at the pass and even kurt begrudgingly thought it was funny.

>>3257629
Here's my take on Splatterhouse:

>>Many at the time of the game's 1988 release criticized the then-extreme (now laughable) violence in the game; however, in true 1980's regressive, phallocentric nature such critics failed to discuss the true problematic nature of the game, that of violence against WOMEN.
[snip two pages discussing the female "Joka" ghosts and how they are marginalized, naked asses and breasts in the piles of corpses signifying objectification of female body, etc.]

However, most troubling is a scene near the end of the game, the player character Rick finds the "captured" Jennifer consorting with Dr. West's creatures - how he came to the conclusion that she was kidnapped or in danger in the first place is preposterous, she is a free-thinking woman and has the right to do with body what she chooses. After pretending to express gratitude to belay Rick's anger, Jennifer undergoes a miraculous transformation into an empowered being of great beauty and intelligence, dwarfing the impotent beast Rick's own supposed "powers" supposedly bestowed upon him by the mask (a mask giving a male power and authority is preposterous, and in and of itself a classic delusional male power fantasy used to disguise an underlying question of one's inherent lack of worth upon being born a male).

>> No.3257725
File: 59 KB, 655x527, 1462858538247.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257416
>hardcoregaming101

Freelance writer: "How would you like your article, Sir?"

HG101 admin: JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP PHAM

>> No.3257728

>>3257703
(fuck, I messed up the greentext) Rant continued
>In an unsurprising move, rather than expressing joy and congratulating Jennifer for surpassing him in strength and worth (which she had already done at birth, since she was not born with a penis and tainted by its evil), the pathetic, likely goobergrape member Rick lashes out in impotent male anger like all rapists, in a futile attempt to retain their feelings of worth and superiority. At this point, it would be obvious to anyone that the correct move was to allow Rick to be righteously struck down by Jennifer; however, in a shocking move (although not shocking considering the misogyny that is characteristic of the Japanese race) you the player realize that the developers made the questionable decision for the player to actually fight and kill Jennifer to proceed. Had this actually been intended as a commentary on how male inadequacy and inferiority is the origin of violence against women, this choice may have had some artistic merit. Instead, it is a classic example of how men should not be allowed to develop or otherwise work on video games - it is contrary to men's nature, since creation itself is contrary to their nature. Destruction is a man's nature - unfortunately, that destruction is not turned enough on men themselves, but on the planet, and upon the true creators and life-givers. At this point I am going to renounce my cursed status as a man, and kill myself. I apologize for my existence, and for being born as a man; I only hope that I was able to help as a true male ally by being an example for more male allies to kill themselves, or hopefully kill other males before killing themselves.

Can someone please open this pill bottle, it's really hard for me to open.

>> No.3257731

>>3257728
I like your enthusiasm but they're never THAT direct with their manhating.

>> No.3257735

>>3257703
>The YU-NO article was actually alright, wildweasel is an ok guy.
Yeah, I know, I just want to see the comedy of trying to spin the game using the SJW angle.

>> No.3257737

>>3257731
I dunno man, the Valis articles...

You're right though, it's more about grasping at straws at how they feel women are objectified (see the women in 80's games or whatever). On that note, I'm waiting to see if they turn those "lists" that they've been doing into a book. That would be completely horseshit, since they're more or less curated by one or two people but all the work is done by people on the forums (and they aren't even credited).

>> No.3257739
File: 3.03 MB, 480x369, 1463375632416.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257737
>all the work is done by people on the forums (and they aren't even credited)

literal cuckoldry

>> No.3257740

>>3257525
>some of the best sounding Genesis games used GEMS
Yeah just fuck off you contrarian faggot. GEMS is garbage.

>> No.3257748
File: 30 KB, 349x329, 1407682074465.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257629

Custer's Revenge.

>> No.3257760

>>3257748
I'm not that guy, but Cool Spot used GEMS and that actually had a superior soundtrack to the SNES version.

Toejam & Earl 2 also used GEMS and that had a jammin' soundtrack.

I won't deny that most GEMS games have terrible music but I think, like the general SNES vs Genesis sound debate, it's all about what you do with it.

>> No.3257769

>>3257703
>it would have to clearly denounce rape
What a world we live in where "Rape is bad, mmm'kay" is a statement that has to be explicitly made instead of being obvious.

>> No.3257793
File: 18 KB, 306x237, 1405181628375.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257760
>replies to my post with something intended for the post above it

I'm not that guy, but at least you know that most GEMS soundtracks are garbage.

>> No.3257950
File: 7 KB, 623x191, Quality_HG101_writing.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

HG101 has always been filled with shitty opinions. It's only recently that you guys noticing it because Kurt Kalata went full blue pilled after FemFreq made looking for sexism in everything hip with beta males.

HG101 on Ghouls 'n Ghosts
>[The Genesis version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts] also has a cheat mode where you can slow down the game, play it in Japanese, make Arthur invulnerable (you will be amazed at how difficult the game is even then), or select which level to begin at. Given that the game is essentially impossible without these cheats, this is easily the best version of the game and arguably the best platformer on the console.
You heard it first. Who cares about gitting gud in an arcade game when you can just cheat code your way to the end?

>> No.3257967

>>3257950
I think it's great they added a "practice" difficulty level but that is fucking embarrassing

>> No.3257985

>>3257641
>>3257658
i like how the game makes a point about how horrible life in san fran is but it's all sunny as shit and it's one of the most expensive cities to live in

>> No.3258020

>>3257950
>Given that the game is essentially impossible without these cheats,

Jesus Christ. This game really is the Dark Souls of the retro world

It's not difficult. It just requires patience and a brain

>> No.3258035

>>3257985
>it's all sunny as shit and it's one of the most expensive cities to live in

not to mention really fucking gay

>> No.3258065

>>3257950
There is nothing wrong with using invincibility or level select for practice.

>> No.3258075

>>3257525
>Some of the best sounding Genesis games used GEMS.

Such as?

>> No.3258089

>>3257739
Some would say they...
>DO IT FOR FREE

>> No.3258094

>>3258065
Of course if you're underage.

>> No.3258109

>>3257950
Another gem from Kurt:
>[Renegade] might have invented a whole new genre, but it's really not very good. It runs at half the frame rate of a normal arcade game, the animation is choppy, and controls are sluggish. It uses the same control scheme that was later adopted in Double Dragon II - one button attacks to the left side, the other to the right. When attacking in the direction you're facing, Kunio begins a volley of punches, but if he attack in the opposite direction, he executes a backwards kick. There's a third button to jump, and Kunio can run by double tapping the joystick. Enemies are stunned when hit, but usually only for a split second, and more often than not they'll simply counterattack, leaving you to exchange blows until one of you goes down. Since you always have to deal with numerous foes at once, trying to single out enemies is really the only way to win. Enemies can grab Kunio from behind, although he can still kick anybody else that comes near, and it's possible to wiggle free with the joystick. The AI is almost too good at dodging punches, as they'll back off as soon as you begin attacking, but they're also relentless when swarming in numbers. Some enemies have weapons too, which can be picked up when they drop them. It's a remarkably difficult game, especially since you only have a single life, no ability to continue and no health restoratives.
Not only is he bitching about one of the easiest beat-'em-ups ever made, but he can't even get his facts straight (you can't wield weapons in Renegade for one thing and breaking free from an enemy's back hold is done with the jump button, not the joystick).

>> No.3258182

>>3257793
Shit, my bad.

>> No.3258205

>>3257769
Rape is pretty good in Rance as long as it's Rance-sama doing the raping.

>> No.3258498

I remember Kurt used to follow a tumblr called "Fuck NO Video Games" where they bitch about sexism in video games. I decided to check their tumblr recently and found this update.
http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/
>In late December, I resolved to take a short break from FNVG for mental health reasons. I anticipated that I’d return within a couple of weeks; after more than two months, I must acknowledge that I’m in a period of severe anxiety and depression, and that I’m not currently capable of maintaining the site on a regular basis. Though I hope to return to an editorial role in future, I think the best course of action would be to put coverage on formal hiatus while I sort things out.
An SJW diagnosed with mental problems? What are the odds?

>> No.3258506

BE CAREFUL

>> No.3258576

>>3258498
I take pride in my mental issues but I'm not an SJW.

>> No.3258601

>>3258498
>An SJW diagnosed with mental problems? What are the odds?
To be fair, SJWs would never deny that they're disproportionately mentally ill. The only difference is they'd claim it's from outside forces impacting their lives, which may or may not be true.

The only thing SJWs and non-SJWs differ in opinion about is whether it was the chicken or the egg. There's a surprising amount people near-unanimously agree on.

>> No.3258610

>>3258205
Rance is portrayed as a loser and rape tends to make your position worse.

>> No.3258630

>>3258610
He's got loads of women that fall in love with him after he rapes them, a faithful slave, a castle, and a talking demon sword. Please explain how this is a loser.

>> No.3258647

>>3258630
Some of the victims go crazy as a result of rape, they don't actually love him. The series cleverly deconstructs the notion of females getting converted to the dick via rape.
Rance wants to be a seducer but he completely fails at it so he resorts to rape out of frustration. Physical strength is his only positive trait.

>> No.3258659

>>3258498
At least it's not self-diagnosed.

>> No.3259221

>>3257748
>Custer Reeeeeeeevenge 666BC
>Developer: rapists
>Genre: rape
>Tags: rape
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

>> No.3259332

>>3257673
Are you really this dense?

>> No.3259814 [DELETED] 

>>3259332
What's the matter, did you get triggered?

>> No.3259878

>>3257547
wow that's... unfortunate. they used to be great.

>> No.3259884

>>3259878
I would argue they were never great, just serviceable.

>> No.3259903

>>3259884
they had some pretty good coverage of a lot of obscure games though. in particular i think they actually did some scans of the really expensive guidebook for chulip.

>> No.3259954

>>3257416
>hardcoregaming101
I fucking hate that faggot site

>> No.3259961

>>3258075
Well I can think of Comix Zone but Howard Drossin is literally a wizard

Sonic Spinball was based too

>> No.3260054

>>3257472
>>3257547

It's so sad when a thing you love turns to shit. I remember when it was still on the geocities servers and it was basically a compendium of old games and shit that was rare or never released in the west and the site had a vague editorial lean towards a hardcore otaku interest in videogames. Now if they discuss otaku oriented content it's not without jeers born from the mid 2010s sjw zeitgeist. At least they took it for what it was before and mediocre games while not usually totally panned (except for the old kusoge section) were called out for being mediocre even if there were other good reasons to enjoy the game.

>> No.3260094 [DELETED] 

>>3257950
Wow what a retard, Ghouls 'n Ghosts was one of my first 1cc's and i consider it one of the easy games of the CPS-1

>> No.3260109

>>3257950
Wow what a retard, Ghouls 'n Ghosts was one of my first 1cc's and i consider it one of the easy games of the CPS-1. Magic Sword now that's a man's game.

>> No.3260143

>>3257629
>Give me a game and I'll write a HG101 style shitfest based on it.

Yume penguin monogatari.

>> No.3260193

>>3260143
Haven't played it, but can I ask, what is this boards obsession with this game?

>> No.3260230
File: 44 KB, 1280x720, And let me be fair here, I love the YM2612 but GEMS is fucking garbage. Comix Zone is probably the only decent thing that came out of it..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3259961
>Sonic Spinball

>> No.3260242

>>3258075
Comix Zone
Ooze
Aladdin
Sonic Spinball
Toejam & Earl 2 Panic on Funkotron
Vectorman too, sort of.

>> No.3260259 [DELETED] 

>>3260193
it makes tons of shitty reviews of hipsters games, /vr/ is interested in hipster games

>> No.3260335

>>3260193
It's about c u c king and morbid obesity.

>> No.3261058

>>3260109
There was a blogpost on HG101 where Kurt essentially dismisses Cave's entire lineup of games as easy because you can credit-feed them and people called him out on it for missing the point.
http://web.archive.org/web/20091213134421/http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2009/12/trouble-with-cave.html

>> No.3261062

>>3260335
dude cuck isn't filtered

>> No.3261098

>>3261058

I credit-feed games but I don't go around and say they're easy because of it. This man is retarded.

>> No.3261107

>>3261058
The only good thing about that site was that it covers lesser-known games, but damn this guy is so shit.

>> No.3261125

>>3261058
He's right though. They should have forced checkpoints that you move back to upon death.

>> No.3261176

>>3257472

tbqf HG101 has become another socjus shithole like most mainstream geek/vidya sites on the web.
>loinclothed alien bushmen or uber-tyical Chinese kung-fu guys = RACIST!
>le wome in gaming /female vidya protagonist articles
>Kurt Cuck-lata kissing up Annie Sarkiesian's BS

forum is the worst: full of trannies and the mods will "righteously" ban anyone who doesn't coddle them uses the right gender pronouns

But hey I guess the staff's gotta work hard for those socjus brownie points so they can lose the v-card with fat-girl pity sex.

>> No.3261189

>>3258075
Earthworm Jim and Vectorman used it.

>> No.3261205

>>3257525
Yeah, that's a thing, few people knew how to change that.

>> No.3261214

>>3261176
The weird thing is that its mostly people in their late 20's/early-to-mid 30's on these Geek Culture sites jumping on the SocJus bandwagon. It must be a generation thing.

>> No.3261245

>>3261214

Weird because I'm (and I'm guessing most people here) around that age and I'm actually downright sick of that shit.

Video games are just fun escapism and they wanna push lberal-arts school hipster political agenda on retro games that were meant to entertain mostly children and teens during their time in the market.

Like this shit is gonna get them on "le right side of history" but in reality, politics aside, they don't realize how lazy and ridiculous they look by making snarky pseudo-intellectual commentary on an old wacky Japanese-made arcade side-scroller.

It almost makes you laugh but not with them of course, but AT them.

>> No.3261254

>>3261245
Does Kurt that we're shit-talking about him on /vr/ or does he pretend 4chinz doesn't exist?

>> No.3261321

>>3261245
The thing is that they know their political core is absolutely ridiculous. There is no patriarchy in places where videogames are produced. It's obvious. Whenever somebody tells you it's a systematic issue, ask them by what system and they'll tell you "all of them". That's where you know people don't know anything they're talking about.

So, the other logical step is to go for the social part. And well, that's what they're doing.

>> No.3261345

>>3257641
>. Also the game plasters you with forced diversity and non-binary sexuality, even though every review tells you that it doesn't forces you that down your throat (it does, that tells you how deep in the far end these people are

This exactly also why I can't stand Undertale and it's zombie-like fans(And Steven Universe but this isn't /co/). I'm not shitting on the game graphic or gameplay-wise but the game is an obvious shill for "le progressive" socjus "values" (using that word loosely here) but if you tell that to a nu-male or it's fans your met with

>"WTF are you talking about, this isn't pushing any political agenda, lol ITT red-pill /pol/ man-babies seeing "muh degeneracy"

yet they see no hypocrisy in writing and supporting articles riddled with snark on how an old retro game is oh-so sexist because of the booby jokes and scantily clad women or how it's homophobic or transphobic because there's a flamboyant gay/trans comic relief enemy.

And don't get me started on the banning of "Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball"

>> No.3261359

>>3261214
>>3261245
There's a bunch of factors, but in HG101's case there's the whole east-coast mentality (most of the core, original group are from New Jersey but work in New York). Lots of the writers are current or former liberal arts majors, so there's that too.

Thankfully most people don't seem to give a shit one way or the other, or they've got opinions but they're considerate enough to not try and shove them down your throat. I'm just guessing that most of the bullshit on HG101 and other places stems from frustration and feelings of inadequacy.

>>3261254
He knows, I told him about these threads once and he was (surprise surprise) dismissive.

>> No.3261414

>>3261359
Well Kurt did graduated from Ramapo, a Liberal Arts college.

>> No.3261448

>>3260143
It's proably just me, I love it a lot and I think it was really ahead of it's time or my autism could be acting up Im not even sure these days

>> No.3261742

anyone else think pulseman is kinda hard

cant get past the first stage

>> No.3261774

>>3261345
While I agree with a lot of what you say, I think you have to be careful not to fall into the same mindset on the opposite end of the spectrum. So many times talking about a game and something happens that is I feel is unnecessarily violent or weirdly sexual (like in a way that obviously appeals to only a repressed male, like in a power fantasy way) and if I so much a mention I felt it was off putting people on this board will instantly attack you for it.

Look, I'm by going to complain about violence on Doom or Mortal Combat, I'm talking about shit like Loli guro animations and shit that you occasionally see, or shit like that flash game where all you do it torture a ragdoll. Shit like that just seems really, really dangerous, and yet if you so much as criticise it you'll get destroyed. Not that these should be banned ir destroyed or anything, just that I hope most people can view this shit and at least be a little weirded out if it turns them on sexually or something.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm come here for a bit of sanity, people to say both ends of the spectrum can be fucked up, and more often than not I get the same rhetoric, just for the opposite side.

God I'm sure someone's going to call me a cuck for posting this.

>> No.3261794

>>3261774
>really, really dangerous
>Not that these should be banned ir destroyed or anything
You must see some value in them if, despite them being really really dangerous, you don't think anything at all should be done to eliminate them.

Anyway it's just enjoying amusing brain reactions to over-stimulus. Like people who dig Saw movies.

>> No.3261852

>>3261774
>Shit like that just seems really, really dangerous, and yet if you so much as criticise it you'll get destroyed.
Because it's not.
>just that I hope most people can view this shit and at least be a little weirded out if it turns them on sexually or something.
They aren't obligated to feel anything and if they do feel nothing or they get pleasure out of it, it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Sometimes a car crash on Youtube is just a car crash on Youtube. People are bothered by the idea that just because someone, somewhere is bothered by something that others "should" also therefore, by necessity, feel the same way about it. It's weird and controlling and amounts to nothing. Looking at something just is not the same as personally enacting it in person, even if that thing you're looking at is a torture scene in a movie or something. People rarely have a problem with someone merely disliking something (except on /vr/), but it's almost never just disliking something. It usually comes attached with a moral message or some form of pressure about how people should be, like that very statement you just made.

There are definitely ways in which people can push too far to the other side, but this is not one of them for the most part. People would be just as critical of people who tried to force non-PC stuff into places that obviously don't work and have nothing to do with it.

>> No.3261857

>>3261774
Dude, games are pretend, and we should be glad that people can make games about whatever the fuck they want to, even if it's about loli torture or whatever.

Criticize all you want, but at the end of the day the important thing is that this is all pretend.

>> No.3261883

>>3261852
>>3261857
I feel like even with the arguement "it's not real so it doesn't matter" is utter nonsense. Shit like that can affect a person, even subliminally, and shape their attitudes about stuff, so we just have to careful. I mean, if you read a bunch of stories about how certain ethnic groups are dangerous, are you going to say "well it's not real", or might you be slightly more aware of them when you like, walking down a night street an see one? Same way, you are ultra violence and you'll become ever so slightly desensitised to it, and things can sort of spiral to a point where you videos of real people dying might not affect you as much as they should, and then it creeps out other people.

I mean both had happened to me, and I don't think I'm unique or anything.

>> No.3261902
File: 411 KB, 498x720, 1464540447030.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3261883
Are... are you jdarkside?

Regardless, if you're so weakminded that your opinions are actually influenced by pieces of fictional media then the problem isn't with the media.

>> No.3261940

>>3261883
>I feel like even with the arguement "it's not real so it doesn't matter" is utter nonsense. Shit like that can affect a person, even subliminally, and shape their attitudes about stuff, so we just have to careful.
It might seem like that, but as a general rule, the more people are exposed to sex and violence, the less they do bad things related to that in person. Rates have been, and will continue to drop despite drastically increased exposure from the internet.

>I mean, if you read a bunch of stories about how certain ethnic groups are dangerous, are you going to say "well it's not real"
Well, it is real in that case because it's an account of real life events that really happened. Whether it's statistically accurate, why it happened, and so on are really separate topics, but they ARE real. The presumption is therefore that they predict future reality as well.

>you'll become ever so slightly desensitised to it, and things can sort of spiral to a point where you videos of real people dying might not affect you as much as they should, and then it creeps out other people.
This is really a social issue that has nothing to do with either of these things. One could just as easily argue people shouldn't be as critical of others merely watching videos or engaging in entertainment. It's unreasonable to assume that someone is always "correct" just because they're uncomfortable.

>I mean both had happened to me, and I don't think I'm unique or anything.
Your experiences aren't really the norm. If anything, people tend to think the world is a lot worse than it actually is, in part because of how easily accessible information is. The fact of the matter is, if you were to live in a cave you'd almost certainly never know about ISIS or Ebola because there's effectively a 0% chance of them ever impacting your life in any way. In a way, people panic harder if they think something bad might be happening because of this fear.

>> No.3261943
File: 775 KB, 1024x365, 1442625250070.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Man, I used to love HG101 for introducing me to a bunch of games I've never heard of. Comparisons of different ports with screenshots were handy too. Nowadays, I don't have much use for them anymore.

>> No.3261951

Why would you even read fluff pieces about video games when there's youtube?

I just youtube hg101 games I find and get a gameplay sample and I'm good.

I guess some people just look around for things to get mad about.

>2016
>reading any online rag about video games and expecting it to not be politically correct

obligatory.

>> No.3262038

>>3261902
No, if it were jdarkside he'd have mentioned at least three times how he's bisexual and how much he hates living in the south.

>> No.3262041

>>3261951
I remember there was a time when the gaming media was fun to make fun of PC idiots.

>> No.3262067
File: 138 KB, 1160x420, videogame-censorship-comic.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3262041
WTF happened?

Vidyas were defended by young radical edgelords types when "uncool and anti-fun" parental watchdog groups protested it (i.e. "fuck you mom and dad you don't understand muh generation") but now that college radicals are protesting them, they jump the bandwagon just to fit in (most likely to earn points with adorkable hipster feminists girls)

It's more about image than ideals

>> No.3262096

Remember that one month where it was nothing but Kaharl articles about shitty PC indie adventure games? I sure do.

>> No.3262120
File: 173 KB, 466x346, blake3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really hope a new crop can get the forum shut down. I'm just sad I won't get to help.

>>3262096
That's practically every month nowadays.

>> No.3262125

>>3262096

Still is like that.

Most of the recent reviews were shitty 2obscure4u point&click PC games with shitty cartoon avatars.

What's so hardcore about them? Most of them have super-linear storyline, no penalty for losing, no action and absolutely no replay value whatsoever making them basically cartoons with required mouse-clicks to progress the story. The worst that happened to you in those games is getting stuck and you getting bored shortly.

>> No.3262141

>>3262125
Nah, the worst thing that can happen is that they turn you into a queer.

>> No.3262147

Used to be a freelancer for HG101. Stopped doing it for the time being b/c I got a better job doing online tutoring. Also like you guys said the site is p much going to shit.

Kurt's a pretty chill guy to work with, though sometimes he takes awhile to correspond. Derboo's okay but most of my communication with him has been "there's a typo on this article," and then he just fixes it. I once called him out on his hatred of DMC and he never replied, desu I still don't get that. There's at least a two month wait between when an article is sent and when it gets posted, and most of the time it takes even longer. There are also some articles I've written in July of last year that still haven't been posted.

>>3257725
I can confirm this isn't necessarily true. There's been at least three times where they've asked me to resubmit b/c either the article was too short for the game in question, or some details of gameplay could have been explained better.

>> No.3262159

>>3262125
>What's so hardcore about them? Most of them have super-linear storyline, no penalty for losing, no action and absolutely no replay value whatsoever making them basically cartoons with required mouse-clicks to progress the story. The worst that happened to you in those games is getting stuck and you getting bored shortly.
Kurt should just change the site's name to Hipster-friendly Gaming 101 at this rate. At least it would be more honest.

>> No.3262175

>>3262147
>desu
This filter is still up? Oh well, at least it's kind of cute.

How much did they pay you?

>> No.3262191

>>3262175
they paid me like three cents a word. Basically sub-sub-sub minimum wage but it helped pay for sprite assets, tee bee aitch.

>> No.3262215

>>3262147
I think that's what bothers me the most - kurt is otherwise a great guy, but he's got a naive, black and white extremist streak when it comes to all this social justice shit. As for derboo, he admitted that his hatred of the DMC games is because he hates Kamiya and thinks he's an awful person.

>> No.3262236

>>3262215
Kamiya didnt even work on the games past 1, though. Honestly I consider it more of an Itsuno creation more than anything.

>> No.3262261

>>3261902
Do you seriously believe fictional entertainment had not affected you at all? I'm not saying playing something like Undertale will make you gay, just something like "oh that game was enjoyable, I'll look for more like it?" Or "wow that strategy game has improved my ability for long-term coordination" or can fucking "wow I have better reflexes and had eye coordination now".

This is the shit I mean, it just has to be an all or nothing war with you people, SJW or their opponents. You can't and think for even a second "well kinda, but on the other hand..." It's always devolves <smug anime picture> "Ur rong" or <fat women with red hair screaming> "Msyongny!!!"

Now go ahead and tell me you're trolling, because whenever confronted with ghis bullshit you're always trolling... Like how whenever you confront a feminist with their bullshit, it just makes you sexist.

>> No.3262424

>>3262215
>As for derboo, he admitted that his hatred of the DMC games is because he hates Kamiya and thinks he's an awful person.
So much for the whole separating the art from the artist thing that critics tend to preach.

I think Derboo also accused Kamiya of being a misogynist once, not sure why. Yet, he likes the Ninja Gaiden games directed by Oatmeal-san. Go figure.

>>3262236
He also hates God Hand and Vanquish. Either, he thinks those were directed by Kamiya too and he's too much of a close-minded idiot to know any better, or he just hates anything associated with Clover/PG by association.

>> No.3262435

This meme kills me.

Why now of all times?

>> No.3262451

Newest article
>It is the 1920's, and prohibition is in full swing, leaving the American people thirsty for dance, dames, and drink. You and your crew have just arrived in New Temperance, virgin territory that is begging like a farmer's daughter for some bad boy to come and take it.
How long until the rewrite it?

>> No.3262761
File: 126 KB, 1280x720, 1462640558929.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3262261
>Do you seriously believe fictional entertainment had not affected you at all?
Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't. Either way, it didn't get inside my brain and start pushing buttons - I had to consciously make an effort to form an opinion on it. It's not like we're a bunch of monkeys that are forced to accept stimuli, we decide what is and isn't important and the ability to do that is a pretty big part of being an adult.

Also, if you're seriously getting triggered by people posting smug anime faces, this really, really isn't the site for you.

>> No.3263131

>>3262424
He's jealous of Kamiya-san's arcade collection. But other than that he said that he doesn't like the DMC game style, and he thinks Kamiya-san is a misogynist and a "horrible human being."

>>3262435
What meme

BTW, hi j2x4 and v, hope y'all are doing well.

>> No.3263147

>>3263131
>But other than that he said that he doesn't like the DMC game style, and he thinks Kamiya-san is a misogynist and a "horrible human being."
I can understand the "not liking DMC" part, but where does the "Kamiya is a shitlord" thing comes from? I mean, yeah Bayonetta is sexualized and all, but it comes off as being more silly than offensive. It's not any more offensive than anything in Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive. So Kamiya blocks people on Twitter all the time. So what? Most of the time, it's just idiots trolling him or asking him repeated questions

>> No.3263331

>>3263147
I think it's because Kamiya retweets T&A stuff, and how he responds to trolls/other BLOCKEDs. Both of which are perfectly acceptable.

>> No.3263676

>>3260230

>Let me just adjust some options real quick

>> No.3263997

>>3262067
you know at least those parental groups were just ignorant and had good intentions... sjws on the other hand.

>> No.3265507

>>3263997
... Are just ignorant and have good intentions? I honestly hope you don't think making society for faggots and trannies and shit is a bad thing. The problem isn't that they're trying to make society more accommodating, the problem is instead of actually doing something construction they find old games and cry about how people back in the 80/90s didn't weren't as concerned about this shit because it just wasn't as concerning. They're all just virtual signaling instead of actually improving society.

>> No.3265512

>>3265507
virtue*

>> No.3265543

Fucking hg101. I can't believe how poor the writing is on that site. It's infuriating because they cover a lot of genuinely great games that i really want to read about. But you can't read any of their articles because they're FILLED with grammar errors. They also don't fact check, regularly parroting off schoolyard style anecdotes as fact without doing any fucking research. Some of their writers are ok but one guy in particular, i think it's Kurt, is just awful.
It's obvious they cheat their way through games in 5 mins and then bang out an article in an evening without proofing it, they don't even bother fixing the aspect ratio of their emulator screenshots.

>> No.3265917

>>3265507
Or they're shaming and harassing people for not having the same values as they do. Being accommodating is one thing, but trying force that on people who don't agree with it without trying to dialogue, or otherwise being an extremist asswipe is one of the big differences between an "SJW" and someone who actually wants to better society.

>> No.3267263

>>3265917
Sometimes you have to be aggressive. You couldn't have racial equality in a nation like say American if half the country wante to lynch black people for looking a at white women. They have to fight a fucking war over it. And we both know for every SJW there's some dickhead who sees a thumbnail of a video with a bitch in a skimpy top (also a problem) and immediately clicks, likes, subscribed and comments "You're beautiful m'lady" because they're fucking morons who think that's an acceptable way to treat people. If SJWs were more critical of BOTH parties (the dude who treats women as commodities, and the women who is more than willing to use e gender to her advantage) rather than attack a bunch of game developers who made a game and thought "let's add some fanservice" and gamers who see that and say "well I might not agree with this but it's out of my control at this point", things would be better. Problem is to stop one (exploitive men/women) you've got to stop the other, and we both fucking know their not going to ever criticise a women.

>> No.3267575

Former freelancer back again. They just posted another one of my articles. Except there are a lot of typos that weren't there when i wrote them and they gimped the last paragraph. I'll just post the original final paragraph here I guess:

"Demon Front definitely copies Metal Slug in a lot of ways. However, it copies a lot of the good aspects of the game, such as graphics with a great attention to detail and bosses that are a blast to battle. It also brings a lot of its own material to the table, such as the gimmick with the pets. If there’s a legitimate problem with the game, it’s that the levels aren’t nearly as polished as Metal Slug’s levels with attention to enemy placement and quantity, and focuses more on swarming the player with waves of enemies. However, if one can find it at any import arcade, they should definitely give Demon Front a go."

which they turned into:

"Demon Front is shameless, but for a clone, it's actually pretty good. The pets are an interesting addition, and there are enough weird things about it that shows the developers were not only a fan of SNK's series, but added their own odd sensibilities to it to. [sic]"

I guess both have their own strengths and weaknesses, but I just wanted to show what its like having something posted.

>> No.3267660

>>3267575
Kurt has always been awful at prose. Did he give you any reason for the rewrites?

>> No.3267676

>>3267660
"A lot of your previous submissions were for small games that were like this and just kind of existed as trivia, but didn't really seem to say a whole lot else about them." -from an email. And also said that I needed to explain more as to why the games I'm writing about are interesting.

>> No.3267746

>>3267676
>And also said that I needed to explain more as to why the games I'm writing about are interesting.
Kinda like how he says Renegade invented a "new genre", but doesn't explaining why and just shits on it instead.

Hell, their Final Fight article was pretty awful too now that I remember.

>> No.3268695

>>3261345

>but the game is an obvious shill for "le progressive" socjus "values" (using that word loosely here)

I still don't understand this. Is it because the game has lesbians? What's the problem? Does it trigger you or something?

>> No.3268723
File: 46 KB, 319x270, IMG_0184.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3268695
Not the guy you're responding to, but the game
>forcess you to interact with two gay couples to get the best ending
>purposefully avoids gendering certain characters

Both feel forced and reactionary to current trends, especially if you live outside of certain left-leaning American states.

Granted, the game is certainly allowed to contain such elements, but we are allowed to critique them as the audience.

>> No.3268738

>>3261774
You are a cuck for disliking guro loli porn games said no one ever. Jesus Christ get over yourself.

>> No.3268743

>>3268723

Why does their sexuality matter though? Should people avoid putting gay people in their game because it might offend someone? It's the same thing as a SJW being offended by a character being straight. It doesn't really matter and has no place in a critique.

>purposefully avoids gendering certain characters

What does that have to do with SJWs? Tons of games purposefully leave the main character blank, especially RPGs, why is it suddenly so bad when Undertale does it?

>> No.3268775
File: 319 KB, 314x314, 1464247510058.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

THE SJW HAVE ARRIVED

>> No.3268818
File: 121 KB, 620x585, 1457377581675.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3268743
>>Why does their sexuality matter though?
Because, like it or not, gay couples aren't normal (outside of California) and putting even one in is a conscious choice to be more "inclusive". I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I think Undertale's are forced just for the sake of putting gay characters in a video game, something Toby Fox is on record as saying he wanted to do.

>Tons of games purposefully leave the main character blank, especially RPGs
No they don't you goofball. Pretty much every RPG, even those with silent main characters, gives a gender to the protagonist.

>> No.3268861

>>3268818

How is it forced, though? Just because they're there? Is every gay person in every media ever "forced" then? What could Toby have done to satisfy you? Purposefully censor himself and remove something he wanted to put into the game?

>gay couples aren't normal

Neither are talking skeletons. 99% of the game isn't normal.

>No they don't you goofball. Pretty much every RPG, even those with silent main characters, gives a gender to the protagonist.

I'm not talking about JUST gender. I'm talking about personality, voice, backstory, everything. I don't understand how making things about the protagonist ambiguous (again, something many games do) has anything to do with SJWs. Frisk doesn't have any kind of personality or backstory other than "kid that falls down a hole". He doesn't have a race or a gender anything. EVERYTHING about Frisk is ambiguous on purpose, including gender. It's like you single out one aspect of him that's ambiguous and ignore the fact that everything about Frisk is ambiguous.

It seems like so many people are so obsessed with SJWs that they become paranoid and start labeling things as "tumblr" or whatever. Just like how SJWs became paranoid and started labeling things as "sexist" or whatever. They're just games. People need to chill out and just try to enjoy things.

>> No.3268862

>>3268818
Also when it's a fat couple, they always have to announce it. You can enter a random house with a two dudes and have no idea. Are they brothers? Father and son? Same for a women and man, or even two women! Or more people. These gays always have to make it a big thing, and by during focus to it, it's destroying the idea that this is perfectly normal. If it's normal, why point it out?

>> No.3268867

>>3268862
And dint start some shit about Undertale treating it normal. Alphys and Undynn was fine, it was more about feeling confident and shit and feeling worthy of love. That gay fight got two nameless but unique characters, forced you to deal with them, and made the whole thing a big deal about how one was repressing his homolust. Fucking faggots.

>> No.3268879

>>3268818
>and putting even one in is a conscious choice to be more "inclusive".
>SaGa Frontier is now inclusive SJW shit because Asellus is a dyke.
>Streets of Rage is now inclusive SJW shit because Adam and Skate are black.
>Wolfenstein is now inclusive SJW shit because BJ is (implied to be) Jewish.
>Dragon's Dogma is now inclusive SJW shit because your lover who gets kidnapped by a dragon can be an interracial lesbian pedophiliac relationship between an adult black woman and Symone.
>Final Fight is now inclusive SJW shit because Poison is a allegedly a tranny
>Mario is now inclusive SJW shit because Birdo is a boy who thinks he's a girl
>Chrono Trigger is now inclusive SJW shit because Flea is a man with the body of a woman
>The Powerpuff Girls is now inclusive SJW shit because Him is... nevermind he's just a massive narc
Someone back me up I'm running out of ideas!

Either way, I'd hardly say it's forced since Undyne and Alphys are legitimate characters with actual roles in the story, and outside of Mettaton humiliating Alphys by revealing the extent of her crush and their date, it is never shoved in your face by a faceless throwaway. It's not like that tranny in that overpriced mod for Baldur's Gate which got several transpeople pissed off because she was a walking tumblr post.

>> No.3268881

>>3268867

> That gay fight got two nameless but unique characters, forced you to deal with them, and made the whole thing a big deal about how one was repressing his homolust. Fucking faggots.

Are you really this dense? It was a joke. You sound like you're way too easily offended.

>> No.3268892

>>3268879
>because she was a walking tumblr post.
Amber Scott is known to be bigoted against LGBTs and is unable to see them as people. Look at anything she has smeared her chicken-greased fingers on and you'll see she's done it before. She is incapable of seeing gays as people.

And what the fuck is this allee place that keeps showing up in the captcha?

>> No.3268894
File: 313 KB, 553x720, 1452337331958.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3268861
>What could Toby have done to satisfy you? Purposefully censor himself and remove something he wanted to put into the game?
Dude, Toby Fox can do whatever the fuck he wants to in his games, and more power to him. I'm just tossing in my two cents.

>EVERYTHING about Frisk is ambiguous on purpose, including gender. It's like you single out one aspect of him that's ambiguous and ignore the fact that everything about Frisk is ambiguous.
Is that true? I mean, we can single out some things about Frisk. They have light skin and brown hair, they speak at certain points, they know how to use weaponry and equip armour, they most likely are American (one of the monster's description mentions the USDA). If Frisk was completely ambiguous, they'd just be a blank doll for the player to self-insert on, but a blank doll wouldn't make for an interesting protagonist, so Frisk has to be only kind of ambiguous. The degree to which this works as a character or not is up to opinion.

>>3268879
The difference between all those games and Undertale is that Undertale's gay characters were added purely for the sake of putting gay characters in a game. In an early blog post (I think it may have been something for his Earthbound hack), Toby Fox said that he was disappointed at the lack of gay characters in RPGs, and that if he made an RPG he would "fix" the problem.

>> No.3268897

>>3268894
You're just trying to stir shit because you can't tell the difference between "I ADDED A FAGGOT #progessive" and making a character be gay and making it relevant at a point.

>> No.3268908

>>3268897
>and making a character be gay and making it relevant at a point.
How are Undertale's gay characters relevant? I mean, if you see two big hulking guards looking to fight, how is it relevant for them to confess their love for each other on the battlefield?

>> No.3268914

>>3268894

> I mean, we can single out some things about Frisk.

All of those things are things that you cannot avoid when making an RPG. Obviously you can't avoid giving the character an appearance if you want to make them human.

> they know how to use weaponry and equip armour,

The weapons and armor is shit like toy guns and cowboy hats. The closest thing the game gets to an actual weapon is a knife.

> In an early blog post (I think it may have been something for his Earthbound hack), Toby Fox said that he was disappointed at the lack of gay characters in RPGs, and that if he made an RPG he would "fix" the problem.

I read the blog you're talking about, and all he said was that he put gay characters in his earthbound romhack because there weren't many gay characters in RPGs. Of course all of this was years ago, he even seems kind of ashamed the romhack according to comments on his twitter. The only thing you have to go on for gay characters being "forced" is a sentence on a blog that's most likely several years old.

The characters themselves are not out of place, fit within the story, and everything would be exactly the same if you changed it to be straight. There's nothing about it that makes it stands out from any other romance.

>>3268908

The guards are a joke about frat boys. Pic related.

> I mean, if you see two big hulking guards looking to fight, how is it relevant for them to confess their love for each other on the battlefield?

There's a pair of straight guards that are a couple earlier in the game who express their love to each other, but it seems like you don't have a problem with them either, despite doing the same exact thing the gay guards are doing, except they're straight.

>> No.3268921
File: 73 KB, 700x700, noHomo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3268914

My bad, forgot the pic. It is (or used to be) a common joke on the internet. Notice how the guards talk like stereotypical frat bros? That was the joke.

>> No.3268936

>>3268908
>How are Undertale's gay characters relevant?
Mate, I'm going to ask a very, very simple question.

Have you played it?

>> No.3268940
File: 20 KB, 260x215, IMG_0108.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3268914
>There's a pair of straight guards that are a couple earlier in the game who express their love to each other, but it seems like you don't have a problem with them either, despite doing the same exact thing the gay guards are doing, except they're straight.
Dogamy and Dogaressa are actually already married, and they're set up earlier in the game - you can find their house before you meet them, and there's the sign that says "DOG MARRIAGE" shortly before their fight. I actually think it would be really funny if the same joke had been done for the guards.

>The characters themselves are not out of place, fit within the story, and everything would be exactly the same if you changed it to be straight. There's nothing about it that makes it stands out from any other romance.
If the guards were a straight couple, I'd have the exact same complaints about it being forced. Regardless of what gender the characters are, the scene is an awkwardly placed setpiece that has nothing to do with the rest of the game (the guards aren't even mentioned outside of a throwaway line if you befriend Undyne) and I'd bet you that they only reason it's in the game at all is because it's about a gay couple. Now, as you've said, this is all speculation, and to Fox's credit I don't believe he's made any statement on anything to do with the relationships in the game.

>> No.3268941

>>3268914
I don't think he's played the game. If he did, he would know exactly why toy guns and ballet shoes were so powerful when Frisk wielded them.

>> No.3268946

>>3268940
For god's sake nobody tell him about the cameo fight that appears on October 10th

>> No.3268952

>>3268946
So Sorry is kinda dumb and out of place, but he's a Kickstarter reward and you have to go out of your way to find out that he exists and how to meet him.

>> No.3268972

>>3268940

>the scene is an awkwardly placed setpiece that has nothing to do with the rest of the game

There are a lot of moments like that. The game is full of strange, one-off jokes.

And the guards really aren't that out of place anyway, they're part of the royal guard that's looking for you. The royal guard is even mentioned earlier in the game, so characters talking about the royal guard and then royal guards showing up isn't really that weird.

>> No.3268976

>>3268972
>The game is full of strange, one-off jokes.
Yeah. Some work, some don't. I don't think the knights do, but it's all a matter of opinion.

>And the guards really aren't that out of place anyway, they're part of the royal guard that's looking for you.
The thing is that we never see the rest of the Royal Guard besides them and Undyne, so it's kind of weird that they're the only ones that show up, even moreso that they don't really seem that aggressive towards Frisk (not more than any other monster, anyway).

>> No.3268989

>>3268976

>I don't think the knights do, but it's all a matter of opinion.

Yeah, pretty much. Undertale sometimes feels like a niche game that somehow got popular.

>>3268976

>we never see the rest of the Royal Guard besides them and Undyne, so it's kind of weird that they're the only ones that show up, even moreso that they don't really seem that aggressive towards Frisk (not more than any other monster, anyway).

I just think this is part of a bigger problem. I think the game is a little too short and doesn't show enough of the underground, probably because a mostly one-man team can't make that much content without constantly delaying the game for years.

Anyway this is probably the most pleasant argument i've had on this website in a while and it's good to know that people can still be reasonable. I've said all I wanted to so i'm gonna go play some games.

>> No.3268994
File: 106 KB, 271x269, 1460131914789.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3268989
>I think the game is a little too short and doesn't show enough of the underground, probably because a mostly one-man team can't make that much content without constantly delaying the game for years.
You know when it comes down to brass tacks I agree with you. Undertale is a passion project and I'm glad Toby Fox got to make the game he wanted to make, and that it somehow became a success.

>Anyway this is probably the most pleasant argument i've had on this website in a while and it's good to know that people can still be reasonable.
T-Thanks

>> No.3269140 [DELETED] 

>>3267263
>You couldn't have racial equality in a nation like say American if half the country wante to lynch black people for looking a at white women. They have to fight a fucking war over it.

>He thinks the North gave a fuck about blacks

>He probably also thinks that modern "progressives" actually care about black people

>> No.3269364

The Devil Hunter Yokoh article was hillarious.
Where they tried turning a medicore genesis platformer into a existentialist masterpiece.
I'm still wondering if that was satire.

>> No.3269371

>>3269364
I thought the same thing about the 80s video game heroine article. Who's the author of the Yokoh piece?

>> No.3269507

>>3267263
Yeah, I don't care if they've got their opinions or not, just as long as they're not selectively applying their bile to certain people or groups and ignoring others doing the same thing. Which more often than not those sort of people do.

>>3267575
Fuck. There goes my motivation again to finish that Genpei article. As for those changes it's a coin toss between whether he's trying to change the meaning/content of what you said or just trying to jew you on the word count - did he make any changes like that elsewhere? I'm fine with criticism if it works (and it often does) but those changes are arbitrary as hell.

>>3268723
There's obviously an audience for this sort of stuff but it's forced as shit, like just everything Marvel Comics is doing to sell to the same audience.

>>3269140
Modern "progressives" don't give a shit beyond getting theirs, fuck everyone else. Anything beyond that is them trying to look good on twitter, although a lot of people don't even give a shit about that (i.e., TERFs).

>> No.3269510

>>3269507
Nothing else I noticed too much in the article. They actually made the first paragraph a bit longer, going more into detail on PGM games then what I did.

>> No.3269535
File: 1.39 MB, 1914x2344, 1464641765132.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3269507
>There's obviously an audience for this sort of stuff but it's forced as shit, like just everything Marvel Comics is doing to sell to the same audience.
Capecomics have been shit for a while though. When you're forced to keep decades-old characters relevant, you're not allowed for any real conflict resolution or proper character development, so companies eventually start relying on "controversial" plot lines and naive-minded social commentary to drive sales once they run out of story ideas.

Do you seriously think Batman has a no-kill policy because of some sort of moral obligation? No, it's because any sane hero would've killed the Joker a long time ago.

>> No.3269576 [DELETED] 

>>3269535
I'm talking about something worse. Mongoloid, fat, superheroines drawn by webcomic rejects.

>> No.3269583

>>3269576
>>3269535
Can we get back to retro video games?

>> No.3269587 [DELETED] 

>>3269576
Ah. Like the new Squirrel Girl comic?

>> No.3269597

>>3268743
>Should people avoid putting gay people in their game because it might offend someone?

Gee I dunno you tell me, should we not make a game with a cast of buxom slender bikini-clad girls for the same reason?

But oh right DOA: Beach Volley got banned because fat or "le socially awkward" tumblr girls got triggered because it made them insecure of their own bloated or flat-chested bodies.

You'd think freedom of speech only applies to certain select group of vocal people.Weird isn't it?

>> No.3269606

>>3269583
Why don't you tell that to the people navel gazing about Undertale? Ass.

>>3269587
That and Hellcat. Jesus that's bad.

>> No.3269612 [DELETED] 

>>3269597
Go to bed, JDarkside.

>> No.3269680

>>3268894
> If Frisk was completely ambiguous, they'd just be a blank doll for the player to self-insert on, but a blank doll wouldn't make for an interesting protagonist,

This. If he wanted to make a "projectable" character why didn't he go for a "create-a-player" feature?

Oh right because remember the pokemon "are you a boy or girl" thing that got SJWs panties in a knot. I think he just deliberately made an androgynous protagonist to fight "le problematic binary gender privileges"

>> No.3269686 [DELETED] 

>>3269612

Go to back to you hugbox Derboo

>> No.3269695 [DELETED] 
File: 240 KB, 1024x887, 1452712343625.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3257472
>not being an asshole is bad

Go away we don't tolerate your nonsense here anymore.

>>>/v/
>>>/tv/
>>>/pol/
>>>/m/
>>>/s4s/
>>>/b/

>> No.3269759

>>3269535
>Do you seriously think Batman has a no-kill policy because of some sort of moral obligation?

Technically speaking, said moral obligation was forced onto him by comic publishers trying to use the character without falling afoul of the knee-jerk censorship of the 50s regarding comic book sex and violence that pretty much went uncontested until the mid-80s.

When you've built 30 years of no-kill policies on your superheroes it tends to become a major focal point of their characterization. It'd be absolutely weird for Batman to just kill the Joker now, and anyone who says he should doesn't understand either character very well. For proof of concept, go see Man of Steel, a movie that seemingly willingly ignores major moral dilemmas Superman faces in favour of supposedly practical solutions.

>> No.3269774

>>3267575
Wow if they're gonna change it that much why do they even bother to have people send in articles?

>> No.3269785
File: 86 KB, 420x358, 1454285075371.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3269364
>This puts Mamono Hunter Yohko in an ambiguous relationship with the action genre. While it uses the kinds of structures that avid players would be familiar with (reflex-based gameplay and increasingly challenging scenarios), the game abandons the pursuit of power that characterizes similar games. If anything, their only purpose is to undermine it. Yohko’s clumsy swordsmanship, for example, stifles any feeling of accomplishment one might get from fending off the various monsters that populate the levels. And the levels themselves are barely more forgiving. Few of the branches and ledges can support Yohko's frame, and the serpentine paths often force you to retread the same ground to advance through the stage. Even if they don't outright deny any feeling of accomplishment, the levels still expend a lot of energy delaying it.

I'm dying. They're trying to make shit hit detection and platforming sound like it's some sort of masterpiece and not something that was common in a ton of bad games during that era.

>> No.3269950

>>3269364
This game has a circle barrier you generate around yourself by holding down a button. If you press a direction and let go, you throw it like a boomerang for a ranged attack. Whilst it is in the air, it is not protecting you.

This is what hg101 had to say about that game mechanic.

>In fact, judging by the lack of ways to make Yohko more powerful (or even to effectively exercise what little power she has), it’s clear how interested the game is in vulnerability as an aesthetic. The shield demonstrates this well enough. While its defensive capabilities shouldn’t be neglected (its ability to protect Yohko from projectiles makes her hell that much more bearable), it’s the shield’s offensive qualities that make it so compelling.

>But looking at it a little more closely, we see the shield carrying the same betrayal that defines the levels. By presenting it as a ranged attack, the game effectively forces you into an ambivalent relationship with it. Your most effective form of offense only works by making you completely vulnerable to enemy attack, thus defeating its entire purpose. And because it’s your primary way of interacting with the world, playing Mamono Hunter Yohko becomes that much more unsettling. True, the shield returns to her a second or two later, and skilled players could theoretically use it to navigate this world with ease. But everyone else must make due with this imperfect reality. Their experiences will still be marked with a sinister dread.

>> No.3269961

>>3269950
Jesus Christ! Why the flowery prose to describe the mechanics of a third-rate anime tie-in action platformer on the Mega Drive? I thought the whole New Games Journalism trend died off.

>> No.3269980
File: 220 KB, 750x1110, 20140711.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3269785
>>3269950
>>3269961

>> No.3269991

>>3269950
>True, the shield returns to her a second or two later, and skilled players could theoretically use it to navigate this world with ease. But everyone else must make due with this imperfect reality.
I've never played this game before and all I can think of is "mad cause bad". He jumps back and forth several times throughout those paragraphs and even to someone uninvolved it looks dumb and inconsistent. It sounds like he's critiquing the essence of video games and challenge: making yourself vulnerable to loss in an attempt to win. Sounds like good design to me. It also applies to practically all games on some level.

>> No.3270020

>>3269991
Does this Brian Crimmins person post at the forum?
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/author.htm#briancrimmins

>> No.3270030
File: 46 KB, 798x180, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3270020
>hardly any presence

Yeah she rarely expresses emotions but to say she has hardly any presence is fucking retarded. Not only was she one of the most important characters in the series but she's in the very first damn scene of episode 1.

>> No.3270048

>>3270030
She is present as a ghost would be present, though.

>> No.3270053

I didn't realise Hardcore Gamer 101 was so shit - mostly because the PC game articles are pretty good.

Is its PC game coverage just better?

>> No.3270069
File: 11 KB, 300x300, Kaneda_large_8728.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3270030
The leader of the biker gang. Kaneda is a character with a toxic personality. His behavior is problematic in the sense that he bullies people and is sexist towards women. Despite this, he's proven he can say the name of his rival repeatedly without need of catching his breath.

>> No.3270293

>>3269535
>Character becomes black or a women, if they stay a white male they're gay
:-/
>If already a women, she wears less revealing clothes
Fanservice aside, actually makes sense.
>Squirrle Girl's clothes becomes more revealing
Noice, properly because her comic is super deformed though.
>Green Lantern despite having a magic rings becomes a nigger with a gun
Top kek. Muh progressive

>> No.3270295

>>3269535
>>3269759
Ever seen the earlier comics before the "no kill" policy? In one of them he jumps off a roof onto the neck of a gangaster looking out a window. Fucking metal.

>> No.3270326

>>3270053
It's the same shit. You are just turning your head on the truth.

>> No.3270335

>>3268775
nah, this is more of an influx from /v/ than anything

>> No.3270397

>>3270335
At this point what's the different? Classic /v/ went on an exodus, Neo-/v/ is run by a SJW mods who killed Gamergate rage, and when Undertale was realised they wer shilling it so hard it hurt. I just grabbed a pirated dump, played it, had fun and started coming here instead. Anyway this is more my bag. If only the SJW posters here would fuck off. You know who you are. Go ahead, report this post you butthurt faggot.

>> No.3270450

>>3270397
Does cripplechan still have lots of activity?

>> No.3270461

>>3270295
He used a helicopter to hang one poor bastard. in fact, the Joker's origin as the Red Hood is derived from the method of Bats killing him in the original comic (though of course, Joker's origins have changed several times now.)

>> No.3270470

>>3270461
And now it turns out there were three of them all along.

>> No.3270487

>>3270397

>muh sjws

Kill yourself

>> No.3270489

>>3270397
>Neo-/v/ is run by a SJW mods who killed Gamergate spam
ftfy

>> No.3270497

>>3270489
Wasn't one of them shown to be friends with Zoe Quinn?

>> No.3270515

>>3270497
who or what told you that, easily faked IRC logs?

>> No.3270529
File: 72 KB, 1024x768, Bvm235KIAAAoGr-.jpg large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3270515
The speculation started because of this picture that Adam Sessler took. The guy was apparently a 4chan janitor.

>> No.3270531

>>3270529
that was just her fag boyfriend, good job listening to 8gag though

>> No.3270534

>>3270531
>that was just her fag boyfriend
Which of them?

>> No.3270563

>>3270531
>fag boyfriend
Check your privilege shitlord. That's her gender-fluid non-cis transsexual malekin girlfriend.

>> No.3270568

>>3270489
>Thinking 4chan isn't run by SJWs.
Okay, now watch this post >>3270563
disappear when the triptroll that shits up this board reports it because it hurts his feelings and mods listen to him because "mug pregression"

>> No.3270580
File: 200 KB, 250x352, Deadly_Towers_boxart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i used to go to the forums a lot some years ago.
i remember there was this guy who was making a sprite comic about a guy who's roommate was the main character from deadly towers.
it was pretty good

>> No.3270594

>>3270568
if it disappears, it's most likely because this shit barely has anything to do with the thread, but ok

make sure to go to 8gag and complain about the moderation here while you're at it

>> No.3270730

>>3270594
Relevancy or lack thereof doesn't matter. Only illegal/against the rules posts should be deleted. This is neither. It is however, intentionally inflammatory towards repressed minority groups. Which is acceptable (see: the history of the term "nigger" and its usage on this board) but we both know individuals who might become offended will report it, in which case it will be deleted despite not breaking an laws/rules.

However in an attempt to prevent this restrictive community moderation from being discovered, it will probably be left as is, despite evidence in this thread (such as the deletion of posts >>3269140 and >>3969527 being deleted). Go ahead and criticise that tripfaggots who shits up this board, and watch as his hurt feelings is enough for mods to delete the post under the guise of "irrelevancy" despite there being worst posts, and it not breaking and laws/rules.

>> No.3270746

>>3270730
You should read the rules more carefully. Anything can be removed without further reason.

>> No.3270748

>>3270730
well ok, nigger, get this
this thread has been going on for DAYS
>and watch as his hurt feelings is enough for mods to delete the post under the guise of "irrelevancy" despite there being worst posts, and it not breaking and laws/rules.
moderating an anonymous imageboard is hard? what a revelation

>> No.3270762

I feel like there isn't actually a way to put gays and transsexuals in video games without offending anyone. If it's made as a major aspect of the character, then people scream about forced social commentary. If it's just a throwaway reference then it's seen as lazy inclusion points. I don't get it. Both sides are fucking annoying in this.

>> No.3270842

It's been common knowledge among musicians that FM synths are hard to program. That's part of the reason you heard so many of the same DX7 presets in popular music the 80s: it's hard to make your own sounds from scratch on thatthing, so you just use what other people have made that sounds decent.
>>3257629
>video-games or STEM where females were never involved because they didn't give a shit about either until they became lucrative.
Interesting that you accidentally posted a Darkstalkers pic there, because several of the 90s Capcom fighting game developers were women. Women were always a part of the game industry.

>> No.3270846

>>3270842
>because several of the 90s Capcom fighting game developers were women.
some of the best 80's video game composers were women

>> No.3270851

>>3270846
Yep. Miki Higashino got her start composing at Konami while she was still a college student.

>> No.3270862

>>3270851
>another person who likes miki higashino
yesss

>> No.3270886

>>3258205
ep 3 of the animation says otherwise

>> No.3271129

>>3270762
You don't need to it. I don't mean that in a exclusionary way. If a character is a transexual going through gender reassignment from male to female, then make them appear mannish. That's its. No need to have announce it. No need for their shirt to say "I'm a tranny!". Unless it's a plot point, but I doubt a game about being unable to use all bathrooms would be very fun.

It's like - Jeff from Earthbound is gay. I too said himself. Does Jeff do or say anything that implies he's gay? Nope. An that's fine, there's nothing wrong with being gay, and it doesn't change the gameplay at all. That's how you do it.

You know games made my liberal arts majors would be fine, except all the gays in them are pink-dyed hair having LOOK AT ME gays who when you talk do, will mention it immediately, as if you said "Hello" to a gay person in real life their response would be "Hello, I'm queer!!!"

>> No.3271141

>>3270842
Yeah but comeon, they're a minority right? The thing is nowadays we have people screaming "where at the women in STEM???" And then go out and make scholarships for women in STEM and write angry blog posts about how it isn't exclusive, meanwhile women get to college/university and go into Arts. They just don't want to do it, then they get crappy arts jobs and cry their not making as much money as fucking rocket engineers. I did Computer Science and I remember like 3-4 women in most of my classes. God I wish there was more women, but just heaps of fucking stereotypical weeaboos and nerdy dudes. And Asians. Shitloads of Asians.

To end on a positive note, I love music by Yoko Shinomura.

>> No.3271180

>>3259903
the guidebook comes with the game though. I bought it for $4 out of a bargain bin and was suprised by the super helpful manual
>>3261062
it should be

>> No.3271451

>>3271129
They probably put those types (i.e., the overly insecure peacocks) because that's the only types of queers they know.

>> No.3271523

>>3270846
>composer
>>3270851
>composer
>>3271141
>composer
Isn't that more of a (creative) art than a STEM? Although I guess back then they actually had to program the sound chips... But can anyone name a female who did/does programming specifically?

>> No.3272065

>>3271523
Wasn't the first Phantasy Star designed by a female designer? She also worked on Skies of Arcadia IIRC.

>> No.3272073

Jesus this thread went to hell. Did we already go full Godwin's Law or should I should I start? Maybe 4chan videogame boards need their own Godwin's law only pertaining to /pol/ and sjws.

>> No.3272087

>>3272073
All I know is that we need some non-shit alternative to HG101.

>> No.3272123

>>3272065
Designer, not programmer. Riki Morimoto.

You're thinking of Rieko Kodama tho, but she strated as an art designer and didn't become a Team Director until 4.

>> No.3272126

>>3272123
>Riki
Miki*

>> No.3272381

>>3271523
Manami Matsumae had to learn assembly.
Being a video game composer at the time often meant being a programmer at the same time. Though usually someone else handled the sound engine.

>> No.3272460

>>3272073
Only if it applies to those groups and their shit as well. Otherwise it's business as usual.

>>3272087
Doesn't matter - it'd get co-opted and fucked up anyway.

>> No.3272679

>>3272087
The best we have is /v/'s recommended games wiki. A list of games with descriptions that usually only pertain to gameplay, although occasionally the austistic tried to write a few review in the 1/8 the width of the page table cell. We should just start making pages for individual games, self moderate, and make a rule "Desrcriptions only pertain to the game, not context (unless it is an entirely contextual game), opinions or personal interpretations of content will be removed."

We'll probably end up having to lock articles like Rance and shit, but it could work, provided whoever made it doesn't get bought out.

>> No.3273046

>>3270580
That's an oddly specific thing to make a webcomic about.

>> No.3273098

>>3257629
>that recent article about some game where you're a teenager girl with a sword that fights demons or something
The Devil Hunter Yoko article was hilarious. At least they didn't just call it shit.

>> No.3273283

>>3273098
Wait I just realised... That demon hunter article was basically an extremely padded, bullshit article that spent about 1000 more words than necessary to say "game is based on forgettable, shitty anime ripoff, isn't balanced and poorly designed". Then this guy >>3267676 got jewed by Kurt despite his game being only slightly more interesting. ShTs the difference between the two games? Ones about a team of mercenaries, two of who are female and optional, and one is about a female sole protagonist demon Hunter. Hrmmm... Also we know we know he's a freelance, what's the author of the devil hunter article's relationship with Kurt? Probably most significant is she a girl?

>> No.3273287

>>3273283
Brian Crimmins doesn't sound like a very feminine name, but that's just my cisgender prejudices talking.>>3270020